- Text Size +

Deb made good on her promise to stay and wait until Brian came home. Emmett wanted to see what Brian would do this time. In most cases, Brian would placate her, but after they left Justin, Emmett could tell Brian finally got to the point that he himself had been at for a while. They were all guilty of not wanting to upset Deb. And Emmett suspected Michael used that to get them all to do what he wanted. Emmett always wanted to believe everyone was essentially good at heart, but there were a lot of days he questioned both Michael’s actions and Deb's way of turning the blame for her son’s actions to being someone else's fault.

 

“Now, you can explain what exactly you were thinking, leaving Michael alone when he needed your help,” Deb demanded of Brian.

 

“I guess it was the fact that while we were there trying to help Mikey earn money to pay his bills, he was busy spending it on something other than the purpose we were all there for. I was thinking it was time for Mikey to face the shit he does, shit that somehow you think is my responsibility to bail his ass out of. I also didn’t see a reason Mikey needed us when he was fighting over fucking comics he couldn’t afford with a bunch of teenagers.” The sound of Brian's voice didn’t rise, but there was no mistaking the anger behind it.

 

“You knew when you encouraged him to walk away from a good job to open his store that he'd need your help. But of course, he listened to you, and now you’re complaining about helping him.” Deb tells him. 

 

Emmett could see Brian was going to blow and decided to do what he told Blake that he and Ted needed to start doing. “Wait a minute Deb. Michael was the one who made that decision. Brian only supported his decision, the way he would for any of us. The only thing I can see Brian did wrong was to continue to pour the money he works his ass off for, into Michael’s hands to keep his store from going under. Instead of thanking Brian, you keep finding reasons to keep from looking at Michael as the person who treats his business like a hobby, something Brian and Ted have tried to get through his head. For once, look at the source of the problem. Which is Michael acting as if Brian’s bank account is his, and treats it as a blank check to use for his business.” After saying it, Emmett felt good defending Brian.

 

“Emmett…” Brian didn’t get a chance to say anything more, because Emmett wasn’t done.

 

“I for one believe you need to know what caused Michael’s run-in with a bunch of teenagers. Something we can take the blame for.” Deb was suddenly all ears, of course, it was likely because Emmett was saying they were to blame for Michael. “We foolishly agreed to help Michael when he told us getting comics signed was how he planned to take care of the bills Brian has been forking money over to him for. Only the minute we got there, Michael left us standing on a line while he went off to pile up comics he planned to buy. Now I’m sure you want to believe, the way I deluded myself into believing, that they were for Michael’s store. Which I tried to believe, until Michael showed up a Babylon, complaining about losing the comics he’d been looking for, for his personal collection. So what I was really seeing was once again Michael spending money, while expecting us to do what he needed to earn the money back that he was spending at the convention. He fought a bunch of kids, while we waited in a line to get what he wanted. Until we realized that once again, what we were doing was only going to backfire on us. The only good thing that came out of it was Brian now knows he can’t keep letting Michael use him to get what he wants.” Emmett blew out a breath, hoping Deb would either see the light or at least be too angry to find another reason Brian was to blame for Michael’s foolish dream of owning a business.

 

“He was buying more shit!?” Deb shrieked.

 

“He tried. But well, apparently the teens were a bit more than he could handle.” Emmett sort of joked.

 

“I’ll beat his ass. He borrowed money from me to buy the comics he said would sell for twice as much. Then the money to buy passes, saying it was so you guys wouldn’t have to spend your own money for helping him out. Shit Brian, what are we going to do to make him understand he can’t play at this anymore?” Deb said, apparently only hearing bits and pieces of what Emmett was trying to get through her head.

 

“What you do is up to you. Between Ted and I, we’ve done everything we can to get him to listen to what he needs to do, versus what he is doing. Nothing has worked, and last night Michael proved nothing would.” Brian told her.

 

“Well it will when you, Ted, and I sit him down at dinner on Sunday,” Deb said, walking out, assuming Brian and Ted would do what she wanted.

 

“Emmett, what the hell were you doing?” Brian asked.

 

“Opening my mouth for a change, instead of letting you take the blame. I know you, and you probably already planned to make it so Blake wouldn’t have them breathing down his neck. We all know you have enough to deal with, so let us, like both Blake and Ted suggested, help you. It’s what friends do, in case it’s a new experience for you.” Emmett told him.

 

Gus was thrilled with Justin’s mom, and Jen held the questions back while Gus took all her attention. Justin wasn’t sure what to tell her; the truth brought up too many questions. Justin was glad she was busy trying to make sure Gus got to know her. It gave him time to think about his uncharacteristic offer to help Brian. While Justin could pretend he didn’t want to get involved in other people’s problems, he tended to do it even when he tried to convince himself he didn’t want to. 

 

“Justin, I was hoping you’d agree to have dinner at my house tonight. And would be okay if I took Gus to my house early so we can get to know each other better? I called Molly on my way here, and she really wants to meet him.” Jen suggested as if it wasn’t more then her loving the idea of spoiling her grandson.

 

Justin started to protest, the way he did at the idea of someone else taking care of Gus but stopped before he ended up sounding as overprotective of Gus as he was. Gus needed to have people he could point to as his family. Something that up until now Justin hadn’t seen as being possible.

 

“Gus, do you want to go spend time with Grandma?” Justin asked because he believed in letting Gus make his own decisions.

 

“Ares you comin' too?” Gus asked.

 

“I have to do a couple of things, but I’ll be there for dinner,” Justin told him.

 

“Aunt Daph too,” Gus demanded.

 

“Of course. Dinner isn’t dinner if Daphne and Justin aren’t both there.” Jen said, proving to Justin that she was just as hopeless at saying no to Gus as he was.

 

Jen didn’t waste time getting Gus ready to go with her. She let Justin know she had some shopping to do first, so she wouldn’t be home right away. Justin stood at the door watching until his mother’s car was out of sight.

 

“She kept you alive. She’ll be fine. Since I fell asleep waiting, want to give me the details about you and Mr Hunk?” Daphne asked, pulling Justin in the door and shutting it.

 

“We went out, then he took me to look at his etchings,” Justin told her, wiggling his eyebrows.

 

“What did you do, fall asleep? Since you didn’t come home until almost morning.” She asked.

 

“No Mother. After three orgasms and a shower, I came home.” Justin told her.

 

“Seriously, what the hell is wrong with straight guys, and where can I get one of him?” Daphne asked, jokingly.

 

“He wasn’t too happy with my thank-you note,” Justin told her.

 

“You wrote him a thank-you note? I know all those etiquette classes told us to thank our hosts, but really I doubt they meant for sex.” She told him, laughing.

 

“I didn’t really plan on seeing him again. So I at least wanted to acknowledge the spectacular sex I was given. He thanked me in person after outing Gus to my mother.” Justin told her.

 

“Why would he do that? It’s kind of shitty.” She asked.

 

“He and Mom know each other. And it’s not like I told him, ‘Oh, by the way, my mom doesn’t know about my son. He was just trying to convince me we could spend time together, and including Gus.” Justin told her.

 

“Are you going to see him again?” She asked.

 

“It’s more like, why bother, when I’d only ever visit here. It’s not like I see a chance for a relationship with him.” He told her.

 

“Why not, other people make it work.” She told him.

 

“Because other than he’s pretty good in bed, that’s the extent of what I really know about him,” Justin said, not willing to talk about what Brian told him.

 

“That’s why you date someone, to get to know them. Then you leave when they’re not what you want.” Daphne told him.

 

“Dating isn’t something I want right now. Being with Gus is more important, and I don’t like the idea of someone there one minute and gone the next. Gus is old enough to notice that now, and I won’t let my life be the reason people disappear from his life.” Justin told her.

 

“I understand the thought, but you can’t prevent him from getting hurt eventually. It’s the risk we take by living. He is going to get hurt, and it’s your job to help him through it, not avoid it. You can’t hide from life, for fear of getting hurt again either.” Daphne told him.

 

“I don’t plan to hide anymore. I just don’t really want to get involved with anyone right now.” He explained.

 

“It doesn’t mean you can’t at least have fun with him while you’re here.” She told him.

 

“I wanted to spend time with you, and now that my mom and I are doing okay, with her.” He answered.

 

“Did you tell him you would spend time with him?” She asked.

 

“Sort of… not really… I just told him I’d call.” Justin squirmed.

 

“Then call him. It’s better than making him wait around, the way assholes did to me.” She told him.

 

Justin planned to do that the next day, but for some reason, his mother seemed to think it would make him more comfortable if she invited a friend to dinner. Justin walked in to see Molly and Gus hanging on every word Brian was saying to them. It wasn’t until Daphne came through the door that they even realized Justin was there. Gus jumped up and ran to Justin, making Molly look up and fly to Justin.

 

“Don’t ever leave me like that again,” Molly told him, squeezing both Justin and Gus with her hug.

 

“Dada, that man says he’s our friend,” Gus said pointing to Brian.

 

“Justin, I thought since you know Brian, it would be nice to have him over too,” Jen told him.

 

Daphne looked at Brian and Gus once again, feeling like she was missing something, only not knowing what it was. She let it go, deciding to help this guy, who couldn’t take his eyes off Justin or Gus.

 

At first, Brian was going to refuse Jen’s invitation, but if he read Justin right, the man wasn’t planning on calling him. Other than Deb’s, Brian didn’t do dinners with family, but he genuinely liked Jen, and there was just something about Justin that made Brian want to know more about him. Until Brian figured out why he planned to get Justin to agree to spend time with him. It helped that for the first time, Brian even liked the kid.

 

Jen herded her kids and Gus with her, leaving Brian alone with Daphne, who seemed to be staring a lot at Brian. 

 

“So we meet again, how do you know Jen?” Daphne asked, sitting down.

 

“When I was looking for a building for my company, she was just starting out. I liked that she listened to what I told her and found it without us going through a few hundred listings. Over time we just kept in contact. She never mentioned she had a son, as well as Molly.” Brian told her.

 

“After he left, Justin’s dad, Craig, pretty much made it clear that Justin’s name wasn’t to be mentioned in his house. Jen went along with it to keep the peace for Molly. She only ever talked to me about him. Which wasn’t easy for her to do, since Craig didn’t like me for keeping Justin’s secret.” Daphne told him.

 

“Did he keep in contact with you?” Brian asked.

 

“No. But that likely because he didn’t want me to have to lie to anyone.” She answered.

 

“You’re not angry at him?” Brian asked.

 

“He’s my best friend. And when he left, yes, I was angry. Not because he left, but because he didn’t feel like he had any reason to stay. I refuse to give him another reason to stay away by being anything but the best friend he knows I am.” She explained.

 

Gus came running out of the kitchen to tell them it was time to eat, holding out his hand to Brian to come with him.

 

“I think he likes you,” Daphne said, as Brian picked Gus up. 

 

Looking at Brian and Gus together Daphne thought maybe the fact that they looked kind of alike was the reason Justin didn’t say no to Brian when he asked. Shaking that weird thought from her head she followed them into the dining room.

 

Gus seated Brian next to his father, making Justin wonder if they were all trying to hint at something. Brian compared dinner with his friends to dinner with Justin’s family and wondered why Deb’s started to look more like a chore than a gathering. When dinner was over and Gus started falling asleep, Brian made an excuse, to give them time together. He was almost to his car when Justin came out.

 

“Hey, I know I cut you short earlier, but if you want to talk to the guy I told you about, I’ll call him and tell him to expect it,” Justin told him.

 

“I’ll think about it. But don’t let it stop you from using my number.” Brian told him.

 

“I’m really just here for a short visit,” Justin told him.

 

“I’m not asking for a commitment, and when you do visit, now you’ll have another friend to visit. If you’re willing to at least find out if we could be friends.” Brian told him.

 

“Why would you need me?” Justin asked.

 

“Because you brought a new experience in my life,” Brian told him, walking over to him.

 

“I have a feeling you are very experienced in that area,” Justin said jokingly but noticed Brian didn’t think it was. 

 

“You’re the first person I wouldn’t mind seeing more than once. That’s something completely new to me.” Brian kissed him, then left.

 

Driving home, Brian admitted to himself the night wasn’t so bad. He enjoyed the way Daphne and Molly teased Justin. It was their way of showing him they loved him. Instead of going to Babylon, he headed home, still in a good mood. Until he opened the door to the loft and saw Mikey standing there, searching his desk.

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Brian asked.

 

“Trying to find the comics you guys didn’t give me. Where the hell have you been?” Mikey asked as if that made it okay that he was going through private client files.

 

“Out. Which is where you are going now.” Brian told him.

 

“Not until you tell me where out was since it wasn’t anywhere I looked.” Mikey nagged, like a jealous boyfriend.

 

“I was spending time that didn’t include you. Since it didn’t include you, that also means it’s none of your business.” Brian told him, taking the files and putting them back in his briefcase. “Nothing in my briefcase is anything you need to go through,” Brian told him, noticing the files were screwed up.

 

“You didn’t tell me you were still looking for fucking Lindsay,” Mikey said, crossing his arms, not willing to move until he got that idea out of Brian’s head.

 

“Once again, something that is none of your business.” Brian reinforced.

 

“I made sure she didn’t stick around, for you. I should be thanked for not letting her think getting knocked up by you meant the happy little fantasy that she wanted from you. Now you’re trying to find her. When I got her out of our lives.” Mikey told him.

 

“Thank you? Are you kidding?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes, thank me. Shit, all she ever did was use you, pretending she was happy with just being your friend. Then she tried to trap you into what she always wanted. I took care of that, FOR YOU.” Mikey shrieked.

 

“Something you and she have in common. I should be thanking the universe that you couldn’t get pregnant.” Brian told him, opening his door. Waiting until Mikey was on the other side, he grabbed the keys Michael left on the bar. Brian removed his key and then opened the door. Mikey smiled like he thought Brian was about to let him in, only to get handed his keys and have the door shut and locked in his face. Mikey remembered he needed the comics and went to open the door again, only to find the key missing. He banged on the door, yelling Brian’s name. 

 

Brian answered, blocking Mikey’s way in. “My key’s missing. I need to look for it. I also need the comics you guys forgot to give me.” Mikey told him, trying to push his way in.

 

“The key is no longer yours since I don’t like the way you invaded my privacy. As for the comics, we gave them to the kids who actually waited in line for an autograph, not tried to buy out the booths.” Brian told him, slamming the door.

 

Brian’s phone rang, then pinged a text. He was going to ignore it but knew Mikey well enough that he would keep calling all night.

 

“Tomorrow I’m taking Gus out to the park.” It read. It was from a number that now meant Brian knew Justin’s.

 

“I’ll buy lunch,” Brian replied.