- Text Size +

Tonight we are victorious
Champagne pouring over us
All my friends were glorious
Tonight we are victorious

--"Victorious," Panic! at the Disco

Ted had a very productive day at the office, working until six before leaving. He called Blake to let him know he would be home within the next hour before heading over to Debbie's house.

He didn't know whether Emmett would be working an event or out on a date that evening, but he took a chance at catching him at home. He knocked on the door and smiled when Carl answered.

"Hey there, Ted," the old cop said to him, sticking out his hand. "I heard the news, congrats."

Ted shook his hand. "Thanks, Carl. Um, is Emmett here?"

Carl stepped aside and pointed over his shoulder. Ted found Emmett sitting at the kitchen table with Debbie.

"Sorry to be interrupting your dinner," Ted said as he walked in.

"Don't be silly," Debbie said to him. "We have plenty if you want to fix yourself a plate."

"No, thanks. Blake and I are going to Rigoletto's for dinner later."

"I make much better penne vodka," Debbie said, gesturing to her plate.

Ted smiled. "I won't argue with you there, but I came to talk to Em."

"I think we've said everything we need to say," Emmett said, refusing to look up from his plate.

"Emmett, please," Ted asked. "Give me five minutes."

Emmett sighed before wiping his mouth with his napkin and getting up. "Excuse me, Deb, Carl. I'll be back in five minutes," Emmett said, gesturing for Ted to follow him upstairs.

They went up to his room, where they could talk in private. Emmett sat on his bed and looked at his watch.

"Five minutes, go."

"Alright," Ted began. "I was out of line earlier, but you were, too."

"Where was I out of line?" Emmett asked, narrowing his eyes.

"Saying that you hoped Blake and I would ‘crash and burn.' That was really shitty of you. Why don't you want me to be happy?"

"I do want you to be happy, Teddy," Emmett insisted. "But... I just don't think that Blake is the right one for you."

"You don't even know him," Ted pointed out.

Emmett stood up. "And you do? You guys have only been together for a grand total of what... like, two months? You and I were together longer than that, after being friends for years."

"Do you still wish we were together?" Ted asked, walking closer to his former lover. "Seriously, Em, is that what this is all about? I thought we decided we were much better as friends."

"We did decide that, and it's true, we are much better as friends. That doesn't mean I still don't love you, that I didn't enjoy the good times we had. It was really good before it got really bad. We almost had a house together, remember? I'm jealous seeing you with anyone, I think that's just natural for a former love. I wonder all the time what might have been if you hadn't fallen into your addiction. Hell, maybe we could have..."

Ted put his hand on Emmett's cheek, as a comforting gesture. "And I always wondered what could have happened between me and Blake if his addiction didn't ruin it the first time and if my addiction hadn't prevented us from being together the second time. I fell in love with Blake before I fell in love with you. A part of me will always love you, Emmett, but me and Blake... we have one of those eternal loves that you read about in fairytales. He's the man for me and the time has finally come where we can actually make it work, now that we're both sober. Everything in my gut tells me that I've made the right choice, even if it does appear like we've rushed into it. All that matters is that he and I are happy together."

Emmett stiffened his lips. "Well, don't come crying to me if this whole thing blows up."

Ted got in Emmett's face, tired of his negativity. "Listen here, pal. If you still want to be friends with me, then you will accept Blake as my husband. I don't want to ever hear another negative word about him come out of your mouth, got it? He is a permanent part of my life now. If you don't respect that, then you will force me to choose between the two of you. Trust me, you won't be my choice."

Emmett took a step back. "Damn, Teddy."

Ted shrugged. "That's just the way it has to be. Blake is my number one. I want to be friends with you, but not if you're going to be like this. I'm sorry if I upset you by not telling you that Blake and I got engaged and for not including you in the ceremony, but what's done is done."

Emmett nodded in understanding. "Okay... even if I don't necessarily agree with your decision, I respect it, out of my love and respect for you."

"Please just give Blake a chance," Ted pleaded. "You are both very important people in my life and I want the two of you to like each other. He's a wonderful person, very funny and smart. You guys actually have a lot in common and you'll realize that if you try to get to know him. I'd love it if the two of you became friends."

"I guess if you think he's so great, there has to be something special about him," Emmett surmised. "I'll try, I promise."

Ted kissed Emmett lightly on the lips and hugged him. "Thank you."


The following week, Emmett still felt bad for blowing up at Ted the way he did. He wanted to show his best friend how much he meant to him, and that he truly did respect his new marriage and only wished the best for him. Emmett did what he did best when any kind of celebratory occasion arrived: he planned a party.

Emmett had talked about his plans with Brian and they decided to have the party at Kinnetik on a Saturday evening two weeks later. He brought with him lots of Italian-themed decorations and ingredients to make some non-alcoholic drinks, out of respect for the sober newlyweds. After a few hours, he had the place beautifully decorated and lots of yummy snacks ready. He made a variety of bruschetta, some meatballs, an antipasto platter, pesto dip, and figs stuffed with goat cheese. There was tiramisu and cannoli for dessert. Emmett put lots of Ted's favorite Italian opera songs and show tunes on his iPod to play on the stereo system.

Brian, Cynthia, nearly everyone else from Kinnetik, Debbie, Carl, Michael, Ben, Hunter, and Emmett's current beau were all there. It was up to Brian to get Ted and Blake to their party without looking too obvious.

Brian decided to make up a story to get Ted to the office. He had heard Ted mention the previous day how he and Blake were going to see the new Star Wars movie that evening, so he knew they would be out together. It would have to be something good for them to leave the theater early and have Ted bring Blake along with him, rather than drop him off at home first. The ruse would also have to explain why other cars would be in the lot.

"Alright, everybody shut the fuck up!" Brian yelled out, breaking up the chatter in the room.

Once everyone was quiet, Brian called Ted on his cell just before he knew the previews before the movie would start and Ted would turn off his phone.

"Yeah, Brian?" Ted answered.

"Hey Ted, are you busy?" Brian asked, adding a bit of panic to his voice.

"I'm getting some popcorn at the movies, why?"

"I got a call from the alarm company. Someone forced the front door open at the office."

"Holy shit," Ted said, obviously concerned.

"Cynthia and I are calling everyone because we don't know if anything was taken. I really need you to get over here and check your office, the sooner the better."

"Okay, I'm on my way. Blake, we have to go to the office right now," Ted quickly said before hanging up.

Brian smiled at Emmett. "He bought it."

"And the Academy Award goes to Brian Kinney," Emmett said.

Cynthia was watching from a window that looked out on the parking lot. "They're here!" she yelled when she saw Ted's Audi pull into his assigned spot.

Everyone gathered in the foyer and yelled "Surprise!" when Ted opened the door.

Both Ted and Blake's jaws dropped.

"What the fuck?" Ted asked, obviously not expecting this.

"Gotcha, bitches!" Brian said with a big smile before giving Ted maybe the third hug he had ever given the man.

"So, there was no robbery?" Blake said, impressed. "I guess this is still worth missing Revenge of the Sith for."

"It's almost as bad as the first two, you're not missing anything," Hunter said, having seen it earlier that afternoon with Michael.

The group soon moved into the conference room. The newlyweds loved the Italian theme since that was their favorite type of opera and where they hoped to visit on an official honeymoon in the near future.

The party had been going for about half an hour when a familiar voice suddenly rang out.

"This music sucks dick!"

Everyone turned to watch Justin walk across the room and over to the stereo. He turned off "Quando m'en vo'" from La bohème and put in a Daft Punk CD. He managed to press play before Brian literally swept him off his feet.

This being the first time Justin had been home since moving to Manhattan, Brian wasted no time exchanging salutations. He devoured Justin's lips, which the blond happily welcomed.

"Well, so much for any of the rest of us getting to talk to Justin tonight," Emmett said as he moved to the beat of "One More Time", which he enjoyed much more than opera.

"Did you invite him?" Debbie asked.

Emmett nodded. "I talked to him a couple days ago about the party. He wanted to surprise Brian."

Ted looked over at the couple, who were making out like teenagers on one Brian's armchairs, oblivious to anyone else being in the room. "Yeah, he looks... surprised."

Brian walked over to Ted and Blake a bit later, with Justin clinging to him like a baby primate. "Sunshine and I are going to cut out of here early, Theodore. We need to, um... talk in private."

Ted chuckled. "No problem. Thanks for the party."

"It was all Emmett," Brian admitted before pulling an envelope out of his jacket pocket. "Don't open this until you're home, okay?"

Ted added it to the stack of envelopes and gifts they had already received.

Cynthia came over to congratulate the couple, having only met Blake once before when he came to pick up Ted one day for lunch.

"You guys are so adorable," she said to them.

Ted leaned in toward his husband and smiled. "He's adorable enough for the both of us."

Blake rolled his eyes, annoyed that Ted never gave himself credit. "You're adorable too, Teddy."

"So what are you going to do about last names? I always wonder how same-sex couples decide that, especially two men."

"We talked about it and decided we're going to keep our own names," Ted answered.

"We're modern girls," Blake said, making them all laugh.

"But what about if you have kids?" Cynthia wondered. "Would they only take one of your last names, hyphenate, or...?"

The conversation was interrupted when Michael walked over. He flung his arm over Ted's shoulders and smiled in his face. Ted could immediately smell alcohol on his friend's breath and heard ice clinking in the glass in Michael's free hand.

"Great party. Very you," Michael said way too loud.

"From what I hear, it was all Em's doing," Ted said, trying to pull away from Michael.

"This is way better than my wedding reception... you know, the one Brian threw in the barn with the Hasidic Jewish band?" Michael said, snorting out a laugh.

"Yeah, that was interesting," Ted admitted. "Uh, I didn't know we had liquor here."

"Actually, there isn't any out here. It's a good thing I found a bottle in Brian's desk. You love Dewars, right? I'll pour you a glass."

"I stopped drinking, remember?"

Michael scoffed. "Duh, I knew that. You gave up everything fun when you went to rehab."

"Mmm-hmm," Ted said.

Honestly, he missed booze more than he missed crystal meth, but he wanted to cut out all intoxicating substances from his life.

"God, did you see Brian and Justin slobbering all over each other?" Michael asked. "Gross. Hey, I don't think I properly contra... congratulated you and Blake. So, congratulations, buddy. I hope you enjoy being married as much as I do. Blake's... great."

Before Ted could thank him for his sentiment, Michael planted a kiss on Ted's lips.

Ted pulled back from his friend in surprise. "Uh... wow. Thanks."

"You ‘member when you used to be in love with me?" Michael asked loudly, which caught Blake's attention.

"When he what?" Blake asked Michael.

"Yeah, he didn't tell you?" Michael said. "He had a collage of me inside his closet door in his condo. There was even a shirtless picture that I don't recall posing for."

Ted laughed, uncomfortable. "I think we were drunk when I took that picture."

"Which one of your friends haven't you been in love with?" Michael asked Ted. "I mean, there was me, then Emmett... I've always suspected that maybe Brian-"

"Okay," Ted interrupted, looking around for Ben to come and claim his husband. "I think it may be time for you to get going, Michael. You've had a little too much."

"You would know, huh?" Michael said, giving him the tongue click/finger gun combo.

Ted caught Ben's eye and motioned for him to come over. "Ben, I think your hubby needs to go home to bed."

Ben saw the glass of amber liquid in Michael's hand. "Dammit, he's still taking pain meds for his bombing injuries. He knows not to drink."

Michael pulled away from his husband when he tried to take the glass away. "Get the fuck off of me!"

Ben followed Michael toward the door, calling for Hunter to follow.

Ted and Blake watched as the Novotny-Bruckner family retreated.

"Him?" Blake asked.

Ted sighed. "Yeah... I was a lonely, confused man before you came into my life. My taste has significantly improved, don't you think?"

Blake nodded before kissing his husband.


After the party, Ted and Blake went home and started to open the cards and gifts they received. They mostly got checks, which they put in a stack to be deposited in their new joint checking account. They were saving up for a house, so the money would greatly help.

Ted got to a thick envelope. "Oh yeah, this one's from Brian. What the hell did he do, stuff it with dollar bills?"

Opening the envelope, Ted pulled out a sheaf of papers. Looking through them, he began cursing. "Oh, hell fucking no. That motherfucker. He did not... shit."

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" Blake asked, concerned about the furious look on his husband's handsome face.

Ted got up and grabbed his car keys before heading out the door. Blake followed him out the building, continuing to ask what was wrong without getting anything other than muttered expletives in return.

Blake jumped in the car as Ted started it up. He had never seen Ted act like this before. Whatever was wrong, Blake didn't want Ted heading off alone.

They got to Brian's loft and parked out front. Instead of ringing the bell, Ted used his key to get into the building. They rode the elevator to the top floor with Ted still cursing under his breath. Blake was amused by his husband's antics by that point, wondering where it was all heading.

Brian and Justin were in the middle of their third round, with Justin riding Brian as if the brunet were a wild stallion. Suddenly they heard someone pounding on the door and then Ted's voice calling out.

"Brian, open this fucking door right now, Goddammit!"

Brian grabbed Justin's hips to still him. "Well Sunshine, apparently the newlyweds decided to open their gifts instead of fuck like the good Lord intended. See what happens when you get married? No more fun."

Justin laughed.

"I'm not kidding Brian, open the door or I'll use my key! I don't care what the hell you and Justin are doing, it's not like half of Pittsburgh hasn't seen the two of you fuck!" Ted yelled, still pounding on the door.

"Alright, alright!" Brian yelled back. "I'm coming."

"Not right, now you're not," Justin commented, smirking

The couple reluctantly pulled themselves apart. After throwing away the condom and putting on sweats, Brian went to the door and pulled it open. Ted walked in, still fuming, followed by a confused Blake. Ted didn't even check out Brian's bare chest and tented pants like he normally would have, he was so incensed.

"What the fuck is this?" Ted asked, holding out and shaking the envelope of papers Brian had given him earlier at the party.

"Well, although I normally avoid them, I believe it is customary at wedding receptions to give the couple a gift to aid them in their new life together. This is your gift, you're welcome," Brian announced, bowing with a flourish.

"Don't be obtuse, Brian, I know it's a gift. What I want to know is, what is the fuck is the meaning of this?"

"Now Theodore, please tell me that I did not hire a CFO who is illiterate."

"What I want to know is why the fuck you would do this. It's just too much, more than we could ever accept."

"Because I can and I wanted to, so just accept it and move on. Really, you've earned this. Again, you're welcome."

Brian looked at Blake, who was still standing there looking thoroughly confused as he stared at Brian's bare chest.

"Ted, did you even show the papers to your husband?"  

"No, I..." Ted answered, handing the papers to Blake while shaking his head in disbelief.

Blake looked through the papers and burst into tears. "Oh, my... I can't believe you did this, Brian. Thank you so much."

He threw his arms around the sweaty man after he saw the title and deed to a house Brian knew Ted was interested in buying but didn't think they could afford while paying Blake's tuition.

"What?" Justin asked, wrapped up in the sheet. "What the fuck did you do?"

"Oh, I bought them a house, paid in full." Brian patted Blake on his back and looked at Ted. "See Theodore? This is the kind of reaction you should have had. Well, maybe not the waterworks and the hugging, but..."

Ted joined in on the waterworks and the hug. "Thanks, Brian," he finally said.

"Brian fucking Kinney..." Justin said, shaking his head at his lover's generosity. "You're a magnificent bastard."

Brian nodded. "I know."