- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

It took a couple of minutes for me to want to get out of bed. It was hard to want to move when I was surrounded by Brian. I wanted to lay there and just let my thoughts be about the incredible night Brian gave me, but reality hit and I knew I needed to get to work. I texted Daphne and ignored all of the texts Julian sent demanding to know where I was. He went from sounding worried about me to threatening to come find me himself. I didn’t bother to answer him, but I also didn’t need him tracking me down when it was better for him to stay the hell away from Brian.

 

I grabbed my laptop and started searching Julian’s life to see if I could find anything to link him to Sapperstein. Julian’s life was one of privilege; the right schools, and the right connections. He was the only child of parents who spent their lives anywhere but where their son was. They were the kind of family that in public put on a great show but in private barely bothered with each other. In contrast, Sapperstein was raised in a middle class home, his parents weren’t anyone in general, just ordinary parents with a problem child. He was in trouble most of his life, then suddenly went from petty crime to being able to finance a club. I looked through everything I could find, but the money he used to buy the club didn’t trace back to Julian. I wanted to throw my computer against a wall,  because nothing was connecting them. 

 

“Couldn’t sleep?” Brian asks, sitting next to me.

 

“I did for a little while, but I want to stop playing guessing games and figure out how to nail them.” I tell him.

 

“I want that too, but it’s likely they went to great pains to hide anything that connected them.” Brian tells me.

 

“Then why would he show up at Julian’s office?” I ask, trying to think of something.

 

“He probably didn’t think anyone would really notice he was there. Likely because he’s been there before. What made you notice him?” Brian asks.

 

“He just seemed out of place, but only because he watched me from the time I got off the elevator until I made it to the security room. It struck me as odd since most people barely notice I’m there. Normally I’d ignore the people around me, but the way he looked at me was something I’m not really used to.” I tell him.

 

“Lots of men looked at you in Babylon.” He tells me.

 

“I never noticed. I was too busy looking at you, trying to convince myself I didn’t want your attention.” I mumbled.

 

 

BRIAN

 

Justin turned red, which was interesting after the things we’d done last night. Things I wanted to repeat often. A new one for me. 

 

“You had it before you knew it.” I tell him.

 

“When I stopped and looked up here the first night?” He asks.

 

“I’d seen you walk by before that, but you never stopped. I was watching you before you started watching me.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” He asks.

 

“You seemed like you were looking for something. It’s the way I felt all my life.” I tell him.

 

“I walked because I couldn’t sleep, then I saw you. Sitting on the bench across the street let me shut out the things that kept me awake. Then when I left you, I could sleep without tossing and turning.” He tells me.

 

“I’d hoped to wake up with you.” I tell him.

 

“You did, the day you came and made me sleep.” He tells me.

 

“You woke up because you fell off the couch.” I joke.

 

“You still were there when I woke up.” He points out.

 

“But you didn’t know I was. This time you would have.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to try and figure out how to get Julian out of our lives.” He tells me.

 

“Let me take a shower to wake up, then I’ll see if I can help.” I tell him.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian walked off and part of me want to go with him, but Gus’s safety came first. Before I’d showed up at Woody’s tonight I’d started reading about human trafficking, and nothing about it was anything but nightmare inducing. I suddenly realized how sheltered my world was. Julian playing with people’s lives didn’t even scratch what was probably happening to the kids who were disappearing. I looked it up and was saddened to see how many people disappeared without a trace, and that in the end the kids on the street weren’t even open cases. I listened to Ben and understood what he was trying to say, but it didn’t mean someone shouldn’t have at least tried to find out something. 

 

I sat there knowing how lucky I was even when it didn’t seem like it. I had made it through life without people around me. I’ve met this amazing man who loves me, and he didn’t walk away even though being with me turned his life upside down. It was why I wanted to find a way to stop my life from hurting his. 

 

I got up, grabbing my jacket and wanting to do something. I knew there was one person who might be able to help. I left a note to tell Brian where I was going, and that I’d be back with breakfast. I didn’t care if Ames was waiting, he could tell Julian whatever he wanted, because I wanted Julian to target me. I didn’t see Ames or any of the other watchers the whole way to the diner. When I got there I was happy to see Deb sitting around and the diner pretty much empty. She smiled at me when I walked in.

 

“Why are you out this late?” She asks, making me smile that she sounded so concerned.

 

“I wanted… to ask you about something?” I ask.

 

“Have a seat and I’ll get you something to eat while we talk.” She tells me, grabbing a coffee pot and telling the cook what to make.

 

“So what did you want to ask me?” She asks, sitting down.

 

“I was out with Brian tonight… and they said you knew the kids that don’t have a place to live.” I tell her.

 

“Pretty much. They usually show up here.” She tells me.

 

“What happens when they stop showing up?” I ask.

 

“In some cases they go to find somewhere warmer to stay. Others... I honestly don’t know, they just disappear. Why?” She asks.

 

“Wouldn’t they tell someone where they were going?” I ask, not sure how much to tell her.

 

“I wish they did, but in a lot of cases they’re on their own, and the ones that aren’t deal with assholes who sell them, not caring what happens to them.” She tell me.

 

“I don’t understand why no one at least tries to find out what happens to them.” I tell her.

 

“Honey, a lot of the kids who are out there left home for a reason, and that reason doesn’t care what happens to them.” She tells me.

 

“You do.” I tell her.

 

“I also know how it feels for your family to turn their backs on you. My brother came out and my family kicked him out, then I got pregnant and got kicked out. It made it easy for me to open my heart to others, because no one should be thrown away for being themselves or making a mistake.” She tells me.

 

“I need your help.” I tell her.

 

 

TED

 

I visited every hell on earth looking for Blake. But no one Blake once knew had heard from him. Emmett didn’t complain as we continued on through the night. Eventually we had to give up when no one would tell us anything. We were walking towards the diner, both wanting a shower, but Emmett still tried by asking the hustlers that were wandering around. It bothered me to think I left Blake out here, while going on with my life. What if Sapp did something to him, and I’d never know because I didn’t at least try to find him after he left the rehab I got him into.

 

“Teddy, stop.” Emmett yells.

 

I didn’t even realize I’d left him, I was so caught up in my thoughts. 

 

“Sorry…”

 

“I think I found him.” Emmett tells me, making me look behind him. “One of the kids said he cleaned himself up.” He tells me, excited.

 

“And…?”

 

“They told me where to find him. Remember the rehab he took off from?” Emmett says, making me what to shake him to tell me. “He works there now.”

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“One of the kids back there said Blake comes around trying to help them, and he left a way for us to find him.” He says, handing me a card.

 

“He did it.” I tell Emmett excitedly, wanting to celebrate Blake cleaning himself up.

 

“Why don’t you call him, and then meet me at the diner.” Emmett tells me, kissing my cheek before walking away.

 

I stood there, trying to think of excuses; like it was late, or he might not want to hear from me. I stopped my usual self doubt and dialed the number, willing to hear him yell at me for calling so late, or even having him hang up on me, it really didn’t matter. 

 

“Hello?” Blake said, yawning. 

 

“Blake.” I said not sure what to say after so long.

 

“Ted. Is that you?” He said, sounding confused.

 

“Yes, I… I heard you…” Still lost about what to say to him.

 

“Are you okay?” He asks.

 

“It’s just good to hear your voice.” I tell him.

 

“It’s really late but…” 

 

“Shit. Sorry I wasn’t even thinking.” I said, interrupting him.

 

“It’s fine. Don't hang up. Unless you're busy.” He said, sounding worried that I would.

 

“I called you.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” He asks.

 

“I wanted to see if you could help my friends and me. Not that I didn’t want to talk to you and find out how you’ve been doing. It’s just… well I thought you were still…” I couldn’t say it.

 

“Living in a crystal haze?” He asks, not sounding angry at me for thinking it.

 

“I’m proud of you.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to call you. But I screwed up so much with you, I thought it would be better to let sleeping dogs and all.” He tells me.

 

“Are you seeing… I mean are you happy?” I ask.

 

“I’m healthy, and no I’m not seeing anyone. What about you?” He asks, not beating around the bush the way I was.

 

“Still single.” I tell him. 

 

“Do our want to meet? It’s late, but I’ve really missed you.” He tells me. 

 

“I do, but right now I need some help too.” I tell him.

 

“From me?” He asked.

 

“I was hoping you could help me get the kids on the street to talk to us.” I tell him.

 

“About?” He asks.

 

“Some of the other kids who have disappeared. We’re trying to find out if Sapperstein had anything to do with it.” I tell him.

 

“Let me get dressed and we can meet somewhere.” Blake tells me.

 

“How about the diner?” I ask.

 

“I can be there in twenty minutes. It really feels good that you need me.” He tells me, hanging up.

 

Emmett was waiting at the door of the diner, looking in. I looked to see Brian standing over Justin, he didn’t look as happy as he’s been since he started seeing Justin. In fact they actually looked like they were fighting.

 

“What’s going on?” I asked.

 

“I don’t know. They were like this when I got here.” Emmett tells me, opening the door. “Did you call him?” 

 

“He’s going to meet me here.” I tell him as Justin surprised me by yelling back at Brian.

 

 

BRIAN

 

I got out of the shower, wishing Justin had joined me but understanding he was trying to figure this out. It gave me time to think about the kids I’ve seen hanging out at Babylon. There was nothing unusual about seeing kids there wanting to find themselves. It was what drew me to  clubs like Babylon. The idea that I could be me in a world that didn’t want to accept me. I didn’t pay a lot of attention to Sapp since we didn’t like each other. He would have loved to kick my ass out, but I brought in people in and he knew it. I’d seen him give kids drugs, but they took them happily. If they didn’t return the next night, no one noticed with as many others that did come. Emmett’s comment about the Sapp noticing Justin came to mind. Justin was Sapp’s type. He liked the ones who looked as young and innocent as Justin did. Which made it odd that Sapp didn’t bother with Justin when he was coming into the club alone. I don’t even remember seeing him around when Justin and I were playing the watching game. It was something to ask Emmett, since he notices everything around him. I went to the living room to find Justin gone and a note saying he went to get food. I got dressed and went to the diner to meet him, wondering why he didn’t just wait for me.

 

Justin was talking to Deb when I walked in, both were so involved in their conversation that neither noticed when I walked up.

 

“I can ask around and see what they’ll tell me.” She tells Justin.

 

“If they know anything tell them to call me.” Justin tells her.

 

“If what you told me about is what is really going on, you need to be careful.” She tells him.

 

“I don’t care if he knows it’s me asking the questions. I’d rather they come after me than all of you.” Justin tells her, looking up at me, worried about what I just heard him say.

 

“I’d rather you didn’t do something stupid, like making them come after you.” I tell him.

 

“I want them to do something stupid, because right now we don’t have anything that connects them. Sapperstein being in the same building as Julian doesn’t tell us anything. I can’t even find anything that says Sapperstein is the reason the kids are disappearing. We have nothing right now. But scared people do stupid things and make mistakes.” Justin tells me.

 

“What happens if they have a kid right now and get scared, do you think they’ll just let the kid go out of worry about what you might know?” I ask him, wanting to shake him for willingly risking himself.

 

“It would mean Julian is more worried about what I might know than thinking he can use Gus as a target!” Justin yells.

 

“Boys calm down. Justin, I know you don’t know us well, but trust me, we’ll make sure nothing happens to Gus or any of you.” Deb tells him.

 

“Blake is on his way here. Hopefully he can help too.” Ted tells us, sitting with Emmett next to Deb.

 

I remembered what I wanted to ask Emmett. “When Justin was at Babylon, where was Sapp?” I asked.

 

“I never saw him when Justin was there, but he’d come out as soon as Justin left.” He tells me.

 

“Why would they think I’m a threat when I honestly didn’t know anything? I still wouldn’t if Ben hadn’t brought up what they suspected about Sapperstein.” Justin said, not really asking us.

 

“Look at the timing, you saw him then started frequenting his club. If he’s involved in doing something that could get him sentenced to life in prison… well, being paranoid comes with the territory. You weren’t there partying, so maybe he thought you were watching him.” Emmett tells him.

 

“It might be better to get the police involved.” Deb tells us.

 

“The chief of police is involved with my boss.” Justin tells her.

 

“What about Carl? He’s helping us.” Justin asks me.

 

“He’s also taking care of the other things you don’t want anyone to know about.” I tell him.

 

“It still wouldn’t hurt to tell him what we think.” Justin tells me.

 

We all stopped talking when the door opened and Ted nearly face planted trying to get out of the booth to greet Blake. As Blake walked over to us he was nervous as he approached the table. But if I was him I would be too, since he knew we all didn’t have a great opinion of him after the things he put Ted through. 

 

“Ted said you guys needed some help?” Blake asked.

 

“Do you still know most of the kids out on the streets?” Emmett asks him.

 

“I check on them, when I can find them.” Blake tells us.

 

“The ones you can’t find, any clue where they went?” I ask.

 

“If anyone knows I’ll see if I can find out.” Blake tells me.

 

“I can help if you need me to.” Ted tells him.

 

“We need you to do what Justin asked.” I tell him.

 

“He’s helping us.” Ted tells me.

 

“I’m at loose ends, how about I go help Blake? I can fill him in while we try to get information.” Emmett tells us.

 

“I’ll talk to the ones who come here.” Deb tells us.

 

“Justin and I are going to take Gus, Mel, and Lindsay to George’s. Call if you guys find anything out.” I tell them.

 

Justin got up, nodding when Blake looked at him, but didn’t say anything. He followed me to the car, looking worried about what I was going to say about him. I fell more in love with him for wanting to protect my son, but him being hurt wasn’t something I could handle either. I kissed his confused lips. I was not going to lecture him for doing what I would do if I was him.