- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Molly waited until she could find me alone. Because for some reason she thought, between the two of us, we could fix everything. Justin went with Hill and Caraway when they ran into a problem with Julian’s laptop, and figured out Justin had planted the virus to cover what he did. She was everything Justin could have been, and it was why I think Justin had an easier time dealing with her. For me, she was the kind of sister I wished I’d had growing up. Which made me want her in our lives, but she was also easy to fall in love with.

 

“Do you think it’s me, seeing everything he never had?” Molly asked.

 

“Justin isn’t like that. If you’d had a bad life, your mother wouldn’t even be allowed here. I think seeing that you had a good life is what’s making him try.” I tell her.

 

“It’s just weird you know, all my life I sort of imagined him differently.” Molly tells me.

 

“All his life he didn’t know how to deal with people, now he’s being overloaded with a family he didn’t ever think he would have. He needs time to understand everything. He told me once the reason people thought he was strange was that when people would ask him something he never knew how to answer them. He spent his life being expected to answer to an equation. No one cared if he didn’t understand basic social skills, because what he could do was all they cared about. He didn’t understand questions where the answer didn’t matter. If someone asked him how his day was, Justin’s mind would run, trying to understand why they were asking him, not realizing they really weren’t interested in more than ‘great’ or some other short answer. Justin needs the time to know this is right for him, as well as for you and your mother. He doesn’t want to pretend everything is perfect, because it’s not true.” I tell her.

 

“Hunter said he thinks Justin doesn’t want what he’s been doing to hurt us.” Molly tells me.

 

“It could, and that’s why he’s doing what he can right now to make sure it doesn’t. Even if he won’t acknowledge that’s the reason he’s doing it.” I tell her.

 

“I feel sort of bad because Justin’s life wasn’t like mine. But then if it was, what would have happened to the people he pretty much saved, even if he doesn’t feel that way. He’s amazing in a way we all wish we were, and he doesn’t want the credit. What I imagined about him isn’t anywhere close to how great he really is.” Molly tells me.

 

“He doesn’t want credit, or to be seen as a hero. He fixes the things he can for people who didn’t deserve what happened to them.” I tell her.

 

“I want to fix it so he can have my mom be the mother she waited all his life to be.” Molly tells me.

 

“You do that by showing him how great you are. I know for me, I see a sister I wish I’d had.” I tell her.

 

“I’m the sister you can have because you love my brother. I also know you're really the only person he trusts completely. Which leads me to another question. What are your intentions toward my brother, young man?” Molly asks, giggling.

 

“My intentions are to make sure your brother never believes being alone was better for either of us. I also intend to let your brother find his way with Jennifer, knowing I’m there to support him no matter what he decides.” I tell her.

 

“Meanwhile I’ll do everything I can to make sure he wants to decide to take a chance on us,” Molly tells me.

 

 

HILL

 

I wasn’t happy when my boss demanded to see Justin and Blake. He hadn’t been happy when he was forced to keep Caraway and me on this case, all because some hacker ordered it. I’d never liked Kevin Finn because he was an asshole, more concerned with politics than justice. He pushed to keep Julian out of this, not because he was protecting Julian but because he knew if this blew up in our faces, his aspirations were in the toilet since he headed our department. I also knew he thought he could dress down Justin since he believed what he read. Hell, we all did, but what we didn’t understand was Justin could and would hold his own when he knew he was right. I get why Finn was angry, but Blake and Justin only pointed out the truth, although they could have left me out of it. 

 

“Let me understand exactly why you felt the need to go over my head with information when it was agreed that both of you reported to Hill and Caraway, who would then in turn report to me.” Finn said through gritted teeth staring down both Justin and Blake.

 

“Was that a question?” Blake asked Justin, completely ignoring Finn.

 

“No,” Justin answered Blake.

 

“Then let me rephrase it. Why did my boss get an email that should have gone to Hill or Caraway?” Finn asked.

 

“Because it called into question why you gave a excellent rating to an agent who you trusted with things above his pay grade. Something neither Caraway or I, as your subordinates, were the right people to go to with.” I told him.

 

“Did you know?” Finn asked, focusing his anger at me.

 

“Not until you threw the email in front of us.” I told him.

 

“Because we didn’t feel the need to air your laundry to Hill and Caraway. What you did was your choice. We didn’t do this to make you look bad, but because the agent shouldn’t still have access, and while I’m sure you want to do the right thing, the right thing also called into question your judgment. I also felt Hill and Caraway had enough on their plates without having to add trying to find someone we could.” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t like the fact that you think because the cyber crimes division thinks you’re a hero, you break laws without consequences,” Finn told him.

 

“You're right, but I don’t gain from it. And I also make sure what they get can be used to catch the people. I’m not limited in the way you are, and if you need to arrest me, do it.” Justin tells him.

 

“He won’t because his hands are tied.” Blake told Justin.

 

“We did limit his access for you, while you investigated. Why you shared your password is beyond us.” Blake added, like Finn should thank them.

 

“OUT!” Finn yelled.

 

“Is he pissed about the thing about you?” Blake asked after the door slammed behind us.

 

“While I thank you for believing in my ability, I really didn’t need you to put it in bullet points,” I tell Blake.

 

“I added the part about how you were wrong about Justin, it wasn’t all good ” Blake tells me.

 

“Are we done?” Justin asks.

 

“In a minute, I wanted to talk to you.” I tell him, taking him to my office.

 

“Is there a problem with Julian?” Justin asks, sitting down.

 

“He asked to see you, but I denied the request. He knows he’s lost and seeing you won’t save him.” I tell him.

 

“If he’ll tell us how to find the kids, then I’ll see him.” Justin tells me.

 

“He won’t, because we won’t give him a deal,” I tell him.

 

“But… they should be more important.” Justin tells me.

 

“I need you to understand you can’t breathe a word about what I’m about to tell you. Ben asked me to wait because he didn’t want you to make yourself a target, not that you didn’t anyway with what you did.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t want Julian or Carter to get away.” Justin tells me.

 

“I know son, but sometimes you have to let others be the heroes,” I tell him.

 

“You won’t tell me if I do anything. Is what you're really saying?” Justin asks.

 

“It’s too late even if you wanted to, but I want you to know he did the best he could. There were kids who we were too late to save. Which isn’t your fault.” I tell him.

 

“Ben found them?” Justin asked.

 

“His team found three we can link to Pittsburgh. But it wasn’t limited to Pittsburgh, and not all of them are going to found. It’s not fair, but as we dig we’ll keep trying to bring them home. It’s time for you to let us do our jobs.” I tell him.

 

“What happens to them?” Justin asks.

 

“Your grandfather needs to tell you that, since he and his friends set up a trust to make sure they get as much help as they need.” I tell him.

 

“Do you need me to help you?” Justin asks.

 

“As long as while you do it, you don’t let life pass you by the way I have. Make all the people that watched you see that you were more than the boy who didn’t talk.” I tell him.

 

“I’m going to ask Brian to marry me one day… and figure out how to let my mother in my life.” He tells me.

 

“It sounds like you’ve already started,” I tell him.

 

“And I’d like to keep you too… I think we’ve both been alone too long.” Justin told me, walking out.

 

“Me too, son.” I thought.