- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

I walked until I found the bench Emmett would sit on and watch George planting flowers. It seemed like a good place to think. I looked around the grounds, taking in the massive home that became like a mausoleum for George. A place where the world would leave him alone when they didn’t want him. George filled it with life, willing to take a chance on people again after his family failed him so badly. He didn’t even turn his back on them when they showed up asking for help, just offered anything he could do to help. Until I met… George’s son, I wanted to keep George in my life. Only, was it right of me to blame George for what someone else did?

 

I never let myself think what it would be like, finding my birth family. I didn’t want it to affect my life in any way. I didn’t need them to define me- I defined me. Brian coming into my life changed things, but only in good ways. Brian and I could make a future, one that we were both happy with, without knowing something that could cast a cloud over us. 

 

I kept trying to avoid thinking about what Jennifer might have felt... if she even cared what happened to me. George made it sound like she was a good person, but then he didn’t even notice or check on what happened to her, and that made me unsure about George. Which was something I hated to feel. Only, I kept thinking about everything George did to protect his son, even with the way he treated George, and wanted to give him a chance. It was all so confusing.

 

I felt Brian sit down next to me, and didn’t push him away when he held my hand. I wasn’t ready to talk yet, but having him next to me was something I’d always want.

 

 

BRIAN

 

Hill and Caraway took off with the thumb drive, saying they’d call as soon as they could tell us what was going to happen. Everyone in the room started worrying about Justin and wanting to check on him. 

 

“He doesn’t need all of you trying to talk to him right now. I’m giving him a second to get his bearings, then I'll help him any way he needs me to.” I tell them.

 

“What must he think of my family and me?” George asks Emmett sadly.

 

“Hopefully that what they did to him wasn’t something you would have done if you’d known,” Emmett tells him, not willing to pretend this was all going to turn out great for George.

 

“Should I at least try to talk to him? I owe him so much for what my family did to his life.” George says, looking to me.

 

“He doesn’t need apologies, or for you to feel like you owe him. He doesn’t need pity from you either, because he managed to become the man he is without complaining about all the things he didn’t have growing up. I’m not saying he won’t want to get to know you, but when you do try to talk to him, make it because you want to know him for him and not for any other reason.” I tell him.

 

“I respect him for the person he is. Something being raised by my wife and son we could have lost if they’d done the right thing. I want to know him because he is the kind of grandson I would be proud to call mine.” George tells me.

 

“Give him time for it all to sink in and let him come to you,” I tell him, heading outside.

 

Justin’s shadows backed up when I walked over to where Justin sat on the bench outside. He wasn’t saying anything, just looking around him. I sat next to him unfolding his fist and sliding my hand into his. As far as I was concerned we could sit here not saying anything until he was ready. I’d kill anyone who tried to come out here until Justin was ready to deal with it all.

 

“I don’t look anything like him,” Justin says, staring at the flowers in George’s garden.

 

“You’re nothing like that asshole,” I tell him.

 

“Maybe none of it’s true,” Justin tells me.

 

“Even if it is, it only changes your life if you want it to,” I tell him.

 

“I never sat around thinking one day I’d find anyone. Why bother when they didn’t want me. I’ve been fine all my life without them. From what I can see I wouldn’t have wanted them in my life.” Justin tells me.

 

“I can’t disagree with you. I know my life would have been better without the people claiming to be my parents.” I tell him.

 

“I like George,” Justin tells me.

 

“I did too when I met him, and my opinion of him only got better as I got to know him. He didn’t let what was expected of him rule his life. With everything he’s learning, he’s facing it. The only thing he’s worried about now is how you feel.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t know how to feel about it… and we have to find the thumb drive.” Justin tells me, still lost.

 

“It was in the bear. Lindsay had it and gave it to Hill and Caraway. It’s really not important right now.” I tell him when he started to say something. “Justin this is a lot for anyone to take in, you have a family if you want them. We could help George track down your mother, who sounds like she wasn’t given many choices when you were born.” I tell him.

 

“If any of this is even true,” Justin tells me.

 

“It’s up to you to decide if you want the truth,” I tell him.

 

“What if she’s not like George wants to believe she is?” Justin asks me.

 

I turned his face to look at me. “Then you go on with me, and we make our lives so none of it matters,” I tell him.

 

“It really doesn’t. Because I have you, and Gus, and maybe George.” Justin tells me, kissing me before getting up and walking with me back to the house.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

We walked into the house to find George sitting at the table alone, holding on to the teddy bear. He didn’t say anything when we walked in, just looked up at me, waiting.

 

“This might not be what you think,” I tell him, pointing to the teddy bear.

 

“It might not be, but I honestly believe this is. I spent a lot of time with the maker going over the details so it would be special for Jennifer.” George tells him.

 

“Why did you make her one?” I asked.

 

“Every girl deserves something special for her sixteenth birthday. Her mother offered a simple dinner out for her and Jennifer turned it down, because it was money they couldn’t afford to let go of. She would have been upset if she found out how much this bear cost, so I told her it was just something I saw at a gift shop. You’d have thought I gave her diamonds.” George tells us.

 

“You cared that much but when she wasn’t there you didn’t even bother to find out why?” I ask, not understanding.

 

“That was wrong of me and I so wish I had asked. I just assumed Caroline moved on, the way the rest of the staff did because Virginia was and is a hard woman to please. In truth, I rarely asked about anything, wanting to get away from my wife, not encourage interactions. Normally I wouldn’t have gotten to know the maids or butlers, but Caroline lasted longer than the others, and came to me about letting her daughter come with her to work because she didn’t want her left home alone because the neighborhood they lived in wasn’t the best.” He tells me.

 

“Do you think she would have stolen?” Brian asks.

 

“No. I think it was more my wife needing a way to deal with a problem. Who would the police believe though, the maid’s daughter or my wife? Virginia knew the police chief at that time, and he wasn’t any better than the current one. I have a feeling Jennifer was put in a situation where she couldn’t win one way or the other.” George tells us.

 

“Even if they threatened her, by now it wouldn’t matter anymore,” Hunter tells him, looking up from the computer.

 

“Maybe she was just happier to forget,” I said out loud without thinking.

 

“I couldn’t tell you unless you want me to help you find her. I’m just hoping you’ll give me a chance to get it right for once in my life with you.” George tells me.

 

“I’m not looking for a father figure, nor am I even sure I want family… but a friend I can deal with right now.” I tell him.

 

“I can do that, and if you want more I can do that too. I do want to do one thing though, because, without it, my family would fight and win. I want us to prove who you are.” George tells me.

 

“I don’t want anything from you,” I tell him.

 

“If you don’t that’s your choice to make one day. I just want no doubt that you are my grandson.” He tells me.

 

“If I’m not, I’ll help you find the real one. I’m really good at it.” I tell him.

 

“I’m going to find Jennifer, if you don’t want anything to do with her, I’ll respect that.” He tells me.

 

“We have some work to do,” I tell Brian, wanting to get away from everyone.

 

“Where are we going?” Brian asked, following me out the room.

 

“Someplace where you can make me forget for a little while,” I tell him, leading him to the other side of the house.