- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

I felt strange the whole way home. Nothing about me seems to bother Brian. If I had sat there and said nothing when Lindsay and Mel asked me questions, he would have been okay with it. Only, they were asking in order to get to know me, and for once I wanted to try. Brian was willing to do things he normally didn’t do, for me. I wanted to be able to do the same for him. Mel asked questions, listening to what I said and thought about what I did beyond what I said. It made me want to tell her because she really listened to me. It felt good, that was what it was.

 

My good mood disappeared when I saw Julian sitting on my steps. I really didn’t need a lecture from him. Once again I was confused when he started talking.

 

“Did you have a good night?” Julian asks, as if we were two friends meeting up.

 

“It was different.” I tell him, sitting next to him trying to figure out why he was acting like we ever talk.

 

“That’s good right, it means you’ve found someone to talk to? Although you have to understand my concern, which I expressed badly the last time we talked. Justin, it’s not that you might be interested in someone, it’s that you’re interested in a guy who is well known for jumping into bed with just anyone. He doesn’t have relationships, and his interest wanes after he gets what he wants from people. For you, it bothers me, because he could make you believe he wants more, only to toss you aside once he gets what he wants from you. Because of all the years I’ve known you, it concerns me because you don’t always see the real motives behind the things people do. Maybe I don’t help because I want to protect you from getting hurt. And yes I am jealous that you never looked at me that way, but in the end you mean a lot to me, and I only want what’s best for you.” He said, not sounding anything like the man I know.

 

He was speaking like we had a relationship that we didn’t have, one where he gave a shit about me. But Lindsay had said what I’ve always thought, that Julian only does something if it serves him in some way.

 

“Justin, in so many ways you’re like a child. You’ve never understood the games people play. For years I never worried that you could get hurt, because no one ever got through the wall you surround your life with, and if Brian was a different man, I would have reacted better when you started spending time with him. He’s ambitious, and will eventually move on, because he’s the kind of man that wants to prove to the world what he’s capable of, and when he leaves, you’ll just be the guy he once knew. I didn’t like what you were doing only because he’s just not going to be the person someone like you needs in their life. You don’t get close to people, but if you did, I hoped it would be someone who could see you for how extraordinary you really are, something Brian couldn’t begin to understand. I’m not saying he isn’t intelligent, but compared to you most people are, for lack of a better word, imbeciles. What on earth could he talk to you about that would interest you?” Julian asks.

 

“Nothing you would understand.” I tell him, not wanting to give Julian anything he could use.

 

“I’m trying, because I know you’re upset at the way I reacted. As if you owe me an explanation for living your own life. I stepped over the line with you, and I want to try to be more than your boss; a friend if you will. I want us to spend time together, even if you want to include Brian. I don’t have many people in my life I trust, and I do trust you. I want you to see there are more options available to you.” He said, reaching for my face.

 

I moved away because I didn’t want him touching me. It felt like he was moving chess pieces, trying to find a way to win. He let his hand drop, shrugging as if he didn’t mean to make me uncomfortable.

 

“Just know if you need someone, I’m here, willing to be what you need me to be.” He said, getting up.

 

Ben came walking up and Julian’s mood changed. I could see he was angry at Ben. It was in the tic in his jaw and the way he looked at him, as if Ben wasn’t giving him what he wanted. 

 

“Too busy romancing to do your job?” Julian asked, walking off, not waiting for Ben to say anything.

 

“As long as it pisses you off.” Ben said under his breath, following me into the house. “What did Julian want?” Ben asked.

 

“Not really sure.” I said, waiting for Ben to close the door. “Why don’t you tell me why you’re hanging around Brian’s friends?” I ask, wanting to stop playing games.

 

Ben didn’t say anything at first. He was caught off guard, likely because I didn’t ignore him the way I always do. This whole morning made me realize it wasn’t that I didn’t understand people, I just didn’t see the point in understanding why they created illusions to hide who they really were.

 

“I didn’t know I couldn’t have interests outside of you.” Ben said defensively.

 

“That’s not what I asked. Why this sudden interest in Brian’s friends?” I asked again.

 

“Why does it matter who I’m interested in? And in case you aren’t aware, it would be hard not to run into someone Brian knows, since he knows most of Liberty Avenue, most intimately.” Ben tells me.

 

And that just pissed me off. Not only was Julian saying it to gauge my reaction, but Ben was using it to not answer my question.

 

“Yes, he does know a lot of men, and it doesn’t bother me, because it has nothing to do with my question about why you’re specifically targeting his core group of friends. I don’t believe in coincidences, I believe in looking at a puzzle and taking it apart to find out the truth you can’t hide behind deflection.” I tell him.

 

Ben went to the stereo and turned it on, waiting for me to walk over to him. At first I didn’t get it, but it made sense, I was watched everywhere. My home wasn’t mine, but another place my privacy was taken from me. I wanted to go sit on Brian’s roof, because eventually it won’t be just the place Brian tried to give me. I started to wonder if I should have left Brian alone, but I didn’t know there was anything about my life that would affect anyone else's. 

 

“Fuck, why couldn’t you stay asleep?” Ben asks, smiling.

 

“What does that mean?” I ask.

 

“It means I’m hoping you’ll leave it alone. Let me keep you from being involved. You think Julian is the only one that watches you? He’s not. He’s the one that put you on the radar, by hiring you. Until then, no one understood what you were capable of, and now they all want you. It won’t matter to them that Julian is human waste that needs to be behind bars, if they manage to acquire you. You’ve been studied and found to possess skills most people couldn’t imagine having. While I sometimes don’t get what you do, I can see how it would be useful to others.” Ben tells me.

 

“Then explain it to me.” I tell him, wanting to know why anyone saw anything exceptional about me.

 

“Justin, what you do isn’t just about catching someone, but also knowing what they’ll do next if they can continue.” He tells me. Seeing my confusion he continued, “Apply it to terrorists. If we handed you everything we know about their activities, what would you do?” Ben asks.

 

“Who do you really work for?” I ask, instead of answering.

 

“Someone who wants you, but answer my question.” He tells me.

 

“I’d find the pattern they used, in the words, the things that don’t match up to the words. For example, if they were saying they were taking their kids to the mall, I’d want to know if they had kids, and if they did, what kinds of things they did with those kids. If they didn’t have kids, I’d want to know what was so interesting about the mall that made them mention it, when they didn’t have children.” I tell him.

 

“What would you do if you found out they were planning an attack on us?” Ben asks, like it was a test.

 

“Find the people before they got on a plane.” I told him, getting what he was trying to say to me.

 

“Which we didn’t. But if they had you we might have saved the lives of people who were at the wrong place that day. Only they dismissed you as another genius with a very limited mind. They didn’t bother to see what Julian did when he hired you. They didn’t see that talking wasn’t important to what you could do.” Ben tells me.

 

“Back to my original question, why are you hanging out with Brian’s friends?” I ask.

 

“Julian wants Brian gone, and hopes I can give him a way of doing that for him.” Ben tells me.

 

“Why does he have a problem with Brian?” I ask.

 

“You’re changing, fighting Julian, and I think it bothers him that he didn’t get the attention you’re giving to Brian. In a way your lack of interest was fine, because Julian didn’t have to share you, unless he could use it to get something. Julian ruins people's lives, but he manages to always come out looking clean. He doesn’t have a weakness, except when it comes to you. It’s why I let Julian use me, to see exactly what he trusts you with.” Ben tells me.

 

“It wouldn’t matter what he trusts me with, I can find out what he doesn’t.” I tell Ben.

 

“By doing that, Julian would go after the people important to you. It’s how he does it. He makes it so the people he uses are more scared of him than of what happens to them for doing what he wants them to do.” Ben tells me.

 

“I’ve been giving him leverage this whole time. He sends me information and I find out everything about not only the breach, but who they are. Then he figures out ways to make them dance to his tune.” I say, hating myself for not looking at the bigger picture.

 

“Justin, they commited the crimes. You were only making sure they didn’t get away with it. What Julian did with the information was on him, not you.” Ben tells me.

 

“Why do you care how I see it?” I asked.

 

“Because you might be the only innocent person I’ve ever known. I don’t want you to see what you are doing as anything but seeing the wrong in what they were doing, not just to Julian, but to others, if they continued. And no matter what you think, I do care about you.” Ben tells me.

 

“What about Brian?” I ask.

 

“That’s the problem. Because one thing I figured out about him is that he won’t back down if someone tries to hurt anyone he cares about. Apparently you’re topping his list.” Ben tells me.

 

“I should stay away from him.” I say to myself.

 

“It would be easier, but it seems Julian is being more reckless because of your interest in Brian. Until now he didn’t show up and deal with you, letting me watch over you. Just like you’re acting out of character, so is he. And it’s what might get him caught, when before, we couldn’t ever link anything directly back to him. I think he’s always known you were the one person who could ruin him. Maybe it turned him on, knowing you could catch him when no one else was able to, but that’s just a guess on my part. Until you started interacting with Brian, I didn’t even know he was interested in you beyond that of an asset.” Ben tells me.

 

“Why tell me now?” I asked.

 

“You’re no longer asleep. And you need to know the game that’s playing around you. Julian hates to lose. So you need to protect yourself and the people you care about.” Ben tells me, turning off the stereo. “How about I make us lunch and you go on and get what you should have been doing, done.” he says, sounding annoyed at me.

 

“How about you get out.” I muttered, walking away while thinking about everything Ben said. Ben nodded before we once again played the roles we’d played since we met. Only now, Julian was no longer safe from me.

 

 

BRIAN

 

Cynthia handed me coffee and messages as everyone wandered around, looking at Ryder’s office. No one seemed to be working, just curious.

 

“What’s going on?” I ask Cynthia.

 

“I don’t think Ryder was kidding about retiring. The guy who came in was looking around like he was assessing the place, not like a client.” Cynthia tells me.

 

“Any idea who the guy is?” I ask.

 

“Gardner Vance.” She tells me.

 

“Which means I’m fucked, because Ryder hedged on making me partner.” I tell her.

 

“No, you’re fucked because you should have started your own business instead of making Ryder richer.” Cynthia whispered, as the man of the hour walked out of Ryder’s office.

 

Gardner didn’t walk by me like I was invisible, they way he did at all the ass kissers trying to get his attention. He came directly to me.

 

“Brian Kinney?” He asks.

 

“The one and only.” I tell him.

 

“Yes you are. I’m about to have lunch, why don’t you join me? Maybe we could talk about your future with me. I have a feeling you’ll be thrilled with how I see your future.” He tells me, smiling at me even though I could read he would rather not offer me anything.

 

“What future is that?” I ask, going along with him.

 

“One that gets you out of Pittsburgh and shows the rest of the world what you can do.” He tells me.

 

I smirked, but found it interesting my dreams were being handed to me, and it would give Julian what he wanted. 

 

“Give me a minute to grab my coat.” I tell Gardner.

 

“I’ll meet you at the elevator, don’t take too long.” Gardner tells me.

 

Cynthia followed me into my office. “I need to know everything you can find out about Gardner, and if he has any link to Julian Yates.” I tell her.

 

“How am I supposed to find out that kind of information?” She asks.

 

“By going to this address and telling Justin to find out for us.” I tell her, quickly writing down Justin’s address.

 

“Who’s Justin?” She asks.