- Text Size +



Chapter 10


From the moment they arrived at the gallery Justin was swept into the last-minute frenzy.  Brian rounded up a drink and sat on a stool out of the way. He loved watching Justin in his element.  He had come so far in 10 years. So had he.

Although the doors weren't open yet the place was gaining a few more people.  He recognized a couple of them as gallery employees. Now there were only 10 minutes before the doors opened and he thought he heard a voice he recognized. Around the corner came Mel with JR and Gus.  His heart always swelled when he saw his son. He strolled over to meet them. "Hey, Mel," he bent and kissed her on the cheek. In the past they had their disagreements but over the years they had both mellowed out.  "Well, JR, you are looking very pretty tonight."

"Do you like my dress? It's new.  I lover purple. Do you love purple?" Brian had to laugh at his son's sister.  She was at that age when she talked nonstop.

"JR, let's go find you other mom and let Gus hang with his dad." They waved as they went to find Lindsey.  

Brian reached over and gave his son a little hug.  Gus still liked to hug his dad but he was starting to be self-conscious when he did it in public. "So, did your moms get your party all planned?" Brian let them plan it but he was footing the bill.

"Ya, it is going to be so cool!  You will be there, right?" Brian could see Gus's excitement in his face. This was the other person he loved more than life itself.

"I wouldn't miss it for anything! Can you keep a secret?"

"Sure, I am a great secret keeper.  With a little sister you have to keep secrets."

"Well, Justin doesn't know it yet but I am taking him on a vacation right after your party.  We are going to be gone almost a month but I will call you every couple days, Ok?"

"That's cool, I guess but it sounds like a long time. Where are you going?"

"We are going to Italy and Spain."

"I promise next time I plan a vacation you can come with us. How does that sound?"

"That would be great!"

All of the sudden the room was filling up. The doors had opened.  Gus wandered back to Mel and Brian went to stand beside Justin. He always liked to be there for support him but didn't want to be in the way.  Almost everyone they knew was going to be there tonight. He saw Michael and Ben coming his way. Before they made it over to where Justin and Brian were standing they both saw a streak fly past.  JR launched herself into her dad's arms. Michael opened them immediately and hugged his excited daughter. Ben gave her a squeeze too. They walked over and said 'hi' to Justin and Brian. Michael and his family started circulating throughout the art pieces.  Things became a bit of a blur at some point. Ted and Blake stopped by and congratulated Justin on his success. Emmett arrived with his date and immediately started looking at the pieces.

The next to come over was Jennifer and Tuck.  Justin hugged his mom and shook hands with Tuck.  He had a rough start with his mom's husband but now things were good.  Tuck made his mom happy and that's all that counted. They roamed off to mingle and look at the exhibits.

Justin backed up until he was in physical contact with Brian.  Just feeling him there gave him the boost he needed. Comments he could hear around him told him it was a success.  Lindsey had popped by a couple times reporting sales and pieces that other galleries were interested in. He needed 5 minutes alone or better yet 10 minutes with Brian. He looked around and didn't see anyone he needed to impress so he grabbed Brian's hand and pulled him out the side door.  As soon as they were out of sight Justin wrapped his arms around Brian's neck and pulled his head down so their lips met.

"Thank you." He said into Brian's collar.

"For what?"

"Just for being here. You know I hate this kind of thing."

"Where else would I be?" Brian bent down and kissed him again.  "Now we better go back in because I think the official introductions are going to happen."

Justin smiled to himself knowing he was giving Brian his gift soon.   

They returned to the gallery and there stood Elizabeth. "Justin, there you are! Your show is amazing." She gave him a hug. "It has been far too long since I saw you. And, Brian," she gave him a kiss on the cheek, "Nice to see you again."

Justin excused himself as he got called away by a possible buyer.   

"So, Brian. Seeing you two together I can see how happy you are.  I did think about you many times over all these years. Did you get in trouble that last night?" She had thought about that last night many times. "What was it 3 a.m. by the time you got home? You didn't talk that much about your home life but I knew it wasn't good."

Brian thought back to the night he creeped into the back door of his house.  The T.V. was on in the living room but he could hear Jack sleeping it off in his chair.  He climbed the stairs and had his hand on the door knob to his room when his mom had come out of her room. He had stopped and looked at her bleary eyes. He had just bent down and gave her a peck on the cheek and said good night as he went in his room.  He was never sure if she was too drunk to remember it in the morning or if the kiss surprised her so much she never did say a word about it.

"It was all good.  I thought of you over the years, too," he smiled down at her.  "You really did teach me a lot that summer. And not just about sex." They both laughed

"I am glad your life turned out well, too, Beth.  Sorry I guess I should call you Elizabeth."

"Brian, you can always call me Beth.  I need to go. Jenny is supposed to arrive tonight but I needed to see Justin's work. Please let him know how impressed I am and explain why I had to leave."

"I will, Beth." Without a second thought he leaned over and gave her a kiss that lingered a second longer than it probably should have.

From across the room Justin looked between Elizabeth and Brian.  He still needed to hear this story. He was sure there was something to hear but he couldn't quite figure it out.

There was a tap on a mic. "Justin, please come up here." Lindsey said as professional as always.  After some introductions and lots of flattery she handed the microphone to Justin.

"I want to thank you all for coming tonight and for all the kind words.  This has been a special show to work on and one of the reasons it is very special is because of this man.Brian, come over here." Justin looked at Brian walked over. There so much love in his face the room filled with a feeling no one could really describe.  "Brian, ten years ago this weekend I was a young kid who didn't belong. I was lost in the world I lived in. And then you literally walked into my life and showed me how to be me. You showed me how to be the best homosexual I could be. I love you, Brian Kinney.  I want the world to know it and more importantly I want you to know it."

Brian leaned down, kissed him and whispered in his ear, "I am the lucky one."

"Now, in honor of our anniversary I want to give you this." As he said it Lindsey rolled out an easel covered with a cloth.  Justin led Brian to the easel and said, "Go for it."

Brian reached up and pulled the cloth off of it.  Brian just looked at it. He didn't have words. It was him and Gus on the night of his birth. It was amazing.  The love Justin captured was so amazing. The crowd had gasped. It was perfect. Brian turned to Justin, tears in his eye and just wrapped his arms around him.

Tears were now rolling down his cheeks as he said, "I have no words. It's me and my boy." Just than Brian felt someone at his side. Small arms wrapped around his waist.

"I love you, Dad." Brian knelt and hugged his son. "I love you too, Gus."

Brian stood up again, gave Justin one more kiss and whispered, "Your gift is coming at the after party."

Justin made some final rounds as the show was winding down. Brian found himself going back to the painting. Nothing could be more perfect.

Brian made arrangements with Lindsey to have the picture sent out to the country house and then went to round up Justin.  The ache to have him right now was so strong. He would never have dreamed 10 years later he would still have that need for the same person.  "Hey, Linds, is it safe for the 'vette to stay parked here overnight?"

"That shouldn't be a problem. How are you going to get around the rest of the night?"

"I'll call a car service.  I can have a limo here in 5 minutes."

Lindsey had known Brian since college and he couldn't get much past her. "What are you planning, Kinney?"

"Let's just say I have an itch I'd like to scratch on the way to Babylon and I may not be in any shape to drive later."

Lindsey just smiled and shook her head. "I am glad some things never change.  So, tell me, what do you all have planned for Justin's present." She knew about the trip but Brian hadn't told anyone details, except Ted and Cynthia since they helped with some of the plans.

"Good try, Linds," He gave her a quick kiss, "But you will know what you need to know after I tell him.

"I guess that is only fair. Even if I don't like it." And she was off to wrap up the show for the evening.



Brian could sense Justin looking at him before he saw him.  He walked over to him. "Are you ready for Babylon?" He brushed a stray hair off his forehead.

"I am." He started toward the side door that led to the parking area.

"We aren't taking the 'vette.  It is staying here tonight. I have a car out front." He pressed his lips to Justin's ear and said, "I have plans for the ride over if you don't have any objections." He looked him in the eye and winked.

Justin answered by grabbing his hand and almost jogging to the front door where he saw the limo waiting for them. Together they tumbled into the back. As the driver started to close the door Brian said, "Take the long way to Babylon." The door was shut and the games began.

Thirty minutes later they pulled up in front of Babylon. The driver opened the door and Justin and Brian came out. Both had rosy lips and mussed hair and looking like that cat that just swallowed the canary. Brian told the driver an approximate time they would be leaving and told him to go get some coffee.

They entered Babylon through a private entrance and went up to the private party room. As they walked in applause broke out along with voices of greeting. Debbie was the first one to come over to them. Justin had barely had time to say hi to her when he saw her at the gallery. "Sunshine, sweetie, your pictures were wonderful." Carl walked up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders.  Debbie continued, "I would ask what took you so long to get here but you both have the 'just been fucking' look on your faces so I guess that answers my question." Justin and Brian looked at each other and burst out laughing. They kissed her on her cheeks together.

Justin was still laughing when he responded, "I am glad you liked them."

The night continued with laughter and love.  There was plenty of food and drink. Everyone here was a family.  Most of them had been in each other's lives for at least 10 years although some of the partners had come in at various stages but they were as close as any family connected by blood.

Justin and Brian stayed close to each other.  They had talking to Tuck and Jennifer for a little while before the couple went to get something to eat. Justin got a little smile on his face and looked at Brian. "By the way, what is the story between you and Elizabeth? I saw that kiss before she left."

"It really is a long story.  It would take far too long to tell you now and I do want to tell you all of it.  I promise I will tell you when we are away," And he did have every intention of telling him the whole story on the plane to Milan.

Justin wrapped his arms around Brian and brought his mouth up to his ear. "That's fine. Thank you for this.  It has been a perfect night."

Brian decided this was the perfect time to tell Justin the plan. "Wait here a minute."  Brian went and cut the music for the room. You could still hear the sounds from the club but he could now make himself heard.  He walked back over to where Justin stood. "I want to thank all of you for coming tonight," Brian started. "I think I can speak for Justin, too, when I say you are our family and we wouldn't be here tonight without each and every one of you." Brian took a moment to look around the room but then his eyes landed on Justin and he smiled a smile that lit up his whole face, his whole being.  "Justin, 10 years ago you walked into my life and it was never the same. Now, everyone in this room knows it wasn't without some rough spots," Laughter rolled throughout the room. "I don't care what it took to get here. I am just glad we are here! I know I am not an easy person to be with." Justin smiled at this. "After the amazing painting you did for me I am really glad for once I am prepared. Justin," He turned and spoke directly to him, "You know we have plans to take 3 days away.  Well, I kind of lied. I am hoping you will join me for three weeks in Milan and Ibiza." Brian waited and watched Justin's face as what he said sunk in.

Justin's whole demeanor changed. While Brian stood there waiting for him to answer, Justin changed from the 27-year-old accomplished artist to the 17-year-old boy he had met on that street 10 years earlier.

"You're serious? Like, really serious? Three weeks!  Just the two of us?" He flung himself into Brian's arms. He rained kisses down all over Brian's face as tears rolled down his cheeks.  His reaction surprised both of them a little bit but the look of pure joy on Justin's face was all Brian needed to see. He would go to the ends of the earth for this man and with this man.  Their lips met and all the guests around them disappeared. The only thing that mattered at this moment of time was the two of them. No words needed to be said. Their expressions and actions said it all. To the very core of their being these two would be together until the end of time.

No one in the room wanted to break the moment.  Many of group had tears in their eyes as well. None of them would forget this moment.  The love in the room was palpable.

Brian, always a good host, pulled himself away from Justin's lips.  "We will finish that later." He winked as he brushed a tear off Justin's cheek. "Let the party continue!  Please, everyone, enjoy yourself. Emmett still has a lot of food out there and the bar is still open."

The next hour everyone had a great time.  Brian had a few more cars lined up to bring people home as the drinks flowed steadily.  

Justin just wanted to find out more details but knew he would soon enough.  He still couldn't believe it. Tonight could not have been more perfect. He circulated and was saying goodbye as people began to thin out.  

Jennifer came past and gave her son a hug.  "Have a great time, Justin."

"You knew, didn't you?"

"I only found out last week and I don't know any details.  He just mentioned it while we were waiting for Elizabeth. Anyway, we are leaving. Call me before you leave and get me your itinerary."

Justin smiled, "Yes, Mom." He leaned forward and kissed her. "Thanks for coming and thanks for always being there."

His eyes started following Brian as he moved through the group leaving through the other door. Nearly everyone had gone now and Justin found Emmett standing next to him.

"Honey, get on out of here.  Take that man home and fuck his brains out." Emmett leaned over and kissed Justin. "You two so deserve this trip. Have a great time and if you happen to find a fabulous accessory for me in Milan...." He gave him a quick hug and strode back to the food table.

Justin smiled as Emmett walked away. "Thanks, Em.  I think I will do just that."

He crossed the room and wrapped his arms around Brian from behind. He reached up and bit his earlobe, knowing Brian usually had a reaction when he did that. He heard and felt a low rumble deep in Brians chest. "Em told me to take you home and fuck your brains out. I really feel like I should follow his instruction."

Brian turned around and caught Justin up in his arms, "For once I agree with Emmett." Brian called the car and told him they would be down in 5 minutes and they quickly said goodbye to the few people that were left and headed down to the main door.   

Brian thought out loud, "I wonder how many times we have walked out of this place together?"

"Probably too many but we did have a lot of fun here didn't we"?

"Brian, I have had a lot of fun anywhere when I am with you."

They got into the car and just sat in each other's arms until they arrived at the loft. They chose to walk up the steps instead of taking the elevator, still arm in arm.  

Justin finally had to asked before he burst when they got to the door..  "Tell me about the trip, please. I will make it worth your while." He reached down and gently took Brian's crotch in his hand, plying it lightly.

"If you keep doing that I won't be able to remember the plans." He backed Justin against one the beams in the apartment and securely pinned him there as he loosened Justin's belt and then his fly. "Well, it appears you really need something before I give you details, too." With one hand he loosened his own belt and fly, pulled out a condom, and put it on. With one quick motion he entered Justin. They both moaned simultaneously. No matter how many people they had been with, nothing matched the times they were together. Neither had ever found such pleasure with anyone else.

After their impromptu love making they did make it to the bedroom.  Laying in each other's arms Brian finally laid out the trip. We will leave on Monday and go to Milan for a week.  There are some fashion shows I have managed to get seats for and the rest of the time I figure we will play it by ear.  I know there are many museums you would like to go to."

"Brian, I can't go.  I don't have anything to wear.  I haven't taken time to shop in months except for what I wore tonight. I don't have anything I could wear in Milan."

"Oh, ye of little faith. Do you think I would have let detail slip past.  I have a suitcase of clothes ready for you all tailored to your measurements.  There is enough for the first week and you can buy anything else you need in Milan."

"God, you are amazing." Justin snuggled closer.

"Well, I don't think I am quite God....." He chuckled and kissed Justin.

"Week two we are going to head to Ibiza. The first week we are staying in Playa d'en Bossa.  It is supposed to be the best place to party on the main island." Brian's fingers started roaming up and down Justin's chest and abs, spending time circling his nipples and drifting down to his belly button.

"Are you trying to distract me before you tell me about the last week?  I thought we were staying in Ibiza for 2 weeks. Not that I am complaining." He joined in the exploration game trailing a finger from Brian's belly button downward.

"If you want to find out about the last week I suggest you stop right where you are." Justin moved his hand back up to Brian's chest. Brian smiled, "How obedient! I should ply you with a trip more often. Haha." He rolled on top of Justin and pinned him to the mattress. "But, I am not going to give you details about the last week. Just know we will be staying in the area for another week but that is going to be my secret for now.  Now, Sunshine, I think we have a little more fucking to fulfill Emmett's direction."

At sunrise they finally fall asleep satiated and content.


♪Close your eyes
Have no fear
The monster's gone
He's on the run and your daddy's here

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy♪


Justin heard music somewhere in the back of his head. Slowly he realized it was Brian's phone and located it next to the bed.

"Hey, Gus, Happy Birthday! How does it feel to be double digits"

"It doesn't really feel any different. Is my dad there? That's a dumb question.  He is always next to you." Justin smiled. He loved this kid!

Brian was stirring. Justin muted the phone and moved his mouth to Brian's penis. Brian's eyes flew open at this. Justin handed him his phone and not stopping what he was doing managed to say, "Gus"

"Happy Birthday, Sunny boy! How are you today?"

"Good. What time are you and Justin coming.?

"The party is at 5: p.m. What time would you like us there?" He was having a hard time concentrating as Justin's blond head bobbed up and down on his cock.

There was a pause at the other end of the phone, "Do you think you could about 4:00? You are going to be gone for a long time so I thought maybe the two, I mean three of us, could hang out for a while."

Brian put a hand on Justin's bobbing head and looked pleadingly at him to stop for a minute. Justin smirked and, although he stopped the up and down motion he didn't give up his prize.    

"Gus, would you like it to be the two of us? Justin won't be mad at you if you do."

"Are you sure he won't be mad? You know I love him but..."

"He won't mind. See you at 4:00."

The second the phone was hung up Brian pulled Justin up and flipped him to his back. "You are lucky we don't have time for disciple.  You were a BAD boy." Brian laughed as he took Justin in his mouth. "How come you can always make me so hot?"

Justin smiled and said, "Because you love me."

Brian positioned himself over Justin and entered him, leaned forward and kissed him deeply. "No truer words have ever been said. I love you more than life itself."

As they showered to get ready for the party Brian brought up the conversation with Gus.  "Gus wants some dad time tonight before the party. He was worried you would be mad. I assured him you wouldn't be."

"Of course, I understand.  I, of all people, would never get between a dad and his son." Justin always got a bit melancholy when he spoke about fathers. He hadn't spoken to his own for 5 years. He could never accept Justin as he was. " I will hang with Mel and Linds.  Maybe they will need help with something."

Brian was a bit surprised Justin's dad hadn't come looking for money.  At least Craig didn't attempt that. He wasn't sure what Justin would do if put in that situation.

They left at 3:30 and headed to the gallery to get the Stingray. Once they picked up the car, they drove to Gus's party.  Gus was full of energy and excitement when he answered the door. Justin gave Gus a quick hug and said he had stuff to do with his moms.   

"So, what do you want to do, Sunny Boy? We have an hour."  

Gus didn't want to do anything special.  He wanted to spend time with his dad sitting on the couch playing video games.  Brian couldn't think of anything he would rather do than just be there together.

Justin went into the kitchen to help Lindsey and Mel get food ready for the party.  JR was with Michael until the party started so it was just the grownups for a change.

"OK, tell us everything!" Lindsey said the second Justin walked into the kitchen.

"Well, we screwed in the limo, but that was before the present. Then we did it against one of the..." Justin started laughing as Lindsey swatted at him.  He knew what she wanted to hear about.

"Come on, Justin.  Tell us all about the trip!  What are the details?"

Justin recounted the first 2 weeks as Brian had told him. He added a few of the museums and galleries he wanted to see while he was there. He didn't plan on doing any business but he knew one of the places was supposed to have one of his earlier works on display and he thought another one may have some of his digital stuff from Rage.

"To see your work hanging in a museum in Milan.  I can't image." Lindsey had a distant look. Being an artist herself she knew what it meant.

"If it wasn't for you, I would never have pursued this. I would have moped around and probably settled for the cartoon which is great and I enjoy it but I would have always known I was missing out on something I needed in my life. Wow, how did a birthday party get so serious. I think people will be arriving any minute."  The words were barely out of his mouth and the doorbell rang.

The house filled up with children and adults. Everyone who loved Gus was there. Brian really wasn't too fond of these things but he would do anything for Gus.  

The gifts were open.  Brian's arrived right on time.  He was thrilled with the hoverboard and all the safety gear to go with it.  Lindsey and Mel gave him the new bicycle he had asked for the last six months.  He loved seeing his boy so happy.

Justin walked over and put his arms around Brian's waist. "I love seeing you look so happy."  
"What could I not be happy about? My son is one of the best kids I have ever met. The man I love actually loves me back. Side note, tomorrow we are going on the trip of a lifetime.  It has been an amazing weekend with friends and family. I am the luckiest bastard in the world."

"I think you are right.  You are the luckiest bastard in the world to have Gus for a son and me as a partner." Brian messed up Justin's hair while Justin laughed.

The cake was served and parents and children started leaving and soon it was just family left.  JR had ended up on Justin' s lap while he drew a princess for her. Brian suspected the little girl had a first crush and it was on HIS man.  He smiled at the thought.

After finishing the drawing for JR, Justin gave her a kiss on the top of her head and set her on the couch. He promised when they got back from their trip he would do another drawing for her.   

Justin made his way over to Brian. "Do you think we should be heading out since we have to go out to the house?"

"Ya, you are probably right. I have a couple things to finish packing and I am guessing you have some personal items to throw in a bag. Let's say goodbye." They quickly made the rounds and spent a couple extra minutes with Gus before leaving.

After giving Brian a hug Gus came over to Justin. Justin bent to give him a hug. He returned the hug and brought his mouth close to Justin's ear.  "Thanks for letting me have my dad today. I am glad he loves you because I love you too."

Justin had to swallow hard before he could say, "I love you, too, Gus."

As they climbed into the car Justin looked over at Brian and said, "You have the best son."

His reply, "We have the best son."

They arrived home, finished packing, and climbed in bed.  Neither expected to get much sleep but they laid in each other's arms quietly. What would happen in the next three weeks? What adventures would they find? The possibilities were limitless

The End.
Simply written is the author of 42 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Can't Do Life Without You 1 also liked 696 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Can't Do Life Without You. The next story in the series is Can't Do Life Without You Part 2.