- Text Size +


Chapter 2


Brian raced down the highway several hours later. His day had been full so he hadn't had time to process that meeting.  He had not been ready to see Beth today. He really hadn't thought of her in years. Now his mind was swirling with so many memories he couldn't stop thinking about her.

The summer he graduated from high school he had scored an office job.  It was just pure luck when his name was randomly picked from all high school kids heading off to college for a business degree.  The job was perfect for him. He could wander in and out of different offices assisting anyway he could and absorbing anything that was said and done.  


Brian remembered Beth McCormick.  He had a desk, well a table really, in the corner of her small office. She was somewhere in her early 30s that summer and had recently divorced her high school sweetheart.  She had never been on her own in her life and now she was by herself with a 3 year old. There were days when he arrived she just wanted to talk. Brian didn’t mind. She was nice and treated him like an adult.  

It was around the Fourth of July after working there about four weeks. Brian had stopped to talk to the security guard for a few minutes before walking out to the parking lot.  He heard the crying before he saw her. He followed the sound and there stood Beth. She was standing in an empty parking spot where her car usually sat. Brian couldn't just leave her there.  

"What's up. Beth? Where's your car?"

"That JACKASS!" Through the sobs she said, "Court told him he had to make the car payments. Obviously, he didn't!"

Brian wasn't sure what to do.  Crying women were not something he usually dealt with but he draped an arm around her shoulder and when she leaned into him he completed the hug with his other arm.   

"How am I going to get home? How am I going to pick up Jenny at the babysitter?" And the tears started again.

"I can bring you home and we can pick up you daughter."  Beth let out an audible sigh. "Are you sure?"

He shrugged and said. "Sure. I have no place to be."

He followed directions to the babysitter and then their apartment.

"Please, come up for a while."  

Brian started to say no but he looked at her face and even he could tell she needed someone right then. "OK, for a little while."

Brian slowed the Stingray down and turned the corner to continue the trip home. After getting back up to speed his mind wandered back in time again.

After Beth got Jenny interested in a cartoon she handed Brian a beer and sat down next to him on the couch.  A little polite conversation was exchanged and then Beth asked if he could stay for dinner. Hey, why not. The less time he had to spend at home the better and he was actually enjoying their conversation which was mostly gossip about the office. It never hurt to know a little of the dirt. Brian helped make a salad while Beth fried some burgers and made some fries.  As they finished the meal Jenny started dozing at the table so Beth carried her to her bed while Brian cleared the table.

When Beth returned, Brian said, " I will get out of your way. Um, I can pick you up in the morning if you want me to.  I really don't live far from here." Beth accepted his offer and assured him she would be making work of getting another vehicle as soon as possible.  She walked him to the door and before Brian knew it Beth wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him quickly on the lips.

Brian turned the Corvette into the driveway of the country home he shared with Justin.  They still had a loft in the city, but as time went on they spent more and more time in the country.  Justin enjoyed his art studio out here and Brian had to admit he loved the place. Brian could see them selling off the loft soon.  Hunter, his friend's adopted son, had shown interest in buying it and he would love to see it stay in the 'family'.

Brian looked for Justin's car but didn't see it.  That wasn't surprising. Justin was setting up for his upcoming art show.  He would much rather be painting but Lindsey needed him to make some final decision today. If it wasn't for Lindsey he may never have become the success he was today. She helped him make connections in New York leading to a show that had been a real success in New York City. He wanted to give Lindsey the chance to display his work for her gallery.  If it wasn't for Lindsey he would never been the success he was now. He would never have left Pittsburgh for two years to make his way in the New York City art world. In those years his popularity grew quickly and his work was in great demand. Now he had enough commissions coming in he could work anywhere and Pittsburgh was home. Brian was home.

Brian pulled his car into the four-stall garage.   6:00 p.m. Justin would be here by 7:00 since that is what they agreed on but he didn't think he would be back much before that.  Maybe he would do a little more research on the surprise he was planning. Since early in their relationship, they had talked about going to Italy and even though they had traveled they still had not gotten there together.  The time had come. He was planning a trip for the 10th anniversary of the day they met. He planned to tell him at the opening of the art show this weekend.

He entered the house through the garage entrance and knew the housekeeper had been there right away.  The house always smelled freshly cleaned and there was the aroma of fresh flowers in the air. When they spent time out here he always made sure there were flowers around. For years he was too stubborn to acknowledge his love for Justin and importance of romance.  Justin had stuck with him no matter how he had treated him. Justin needed a little romance and he deserved it. To be honest, he liked it too.

He read the note from the housekeeper.  He turned the oven on and placed the chicken cordon bleu on the rack.  He poured a glass of scotch and rather than heading to his office to complete the vacation plans he ended up out in the garden.

Brian was again transported back to that summer.  The summer he met Beth. Brian picked her up and the next day along with Jenny.  He just remembered Beth saying Jenny was named after her best friend in high school.  Jennifer, Jenny. What are the odds. Anyway, Jenny was dropped off and at the end of the day they reversed the route.   

As he stopped his car in front of the apartment Beth said, "You're coming up, aren't you?"  With a shrug Brian thought to himself, why not. The parting kiss from last night crossed his mind but he hadn't thought much about it.  She was just thanking him for helping her out.

Beth pointed to the refrigerator as she got Jenny settled in front of the TV.  Brian snagged a beer for himself and for Beth and opened both. She returned to the kitchen and he handed it to her.  Brian instantly saw Beth had taken time to change into something 'more comfortable'. He hadn't noticed before what a great body she had.  At work she wore conservative clothes, knee length skirts or slacks with tops that barely showed she was a woman. There was no doubt now. She was wearing short shorts and a midriff tank top.  Women weren't his thing but this woman was really hot, even in her 30s.

Beth again insisted he stay for dinner and again, after eating, she put Jenny to bed.  

"Oh, I am sorry, I should have asked if you had plans since it's Friday night.  A great looking guy like you probably always has plans on a Friday night." Beth looked his direction as she cleared away the last of the dirty dishes.

It was true he usually did have plans on a Friday night but Mikey was in the Poconos for his annual family vacation this weekend so he really didn't have anywhere to go except home and that was the last place he wanted to be.  "Actually, my best friend is out of town so I wasn't sure where I was going tonight."

"Well, great! You can keep me company!  As glad as I am the jackass isn't around anymore I do miss having someone here to talk to after 7:30. Evenings get really long." She grabbed them each their 3rd beer.  Brian was no light weight when it came to booze but he could tell she was loosening up as the evening went on. It wouldn't be long before she was drunk at this rate. She plopped down next to Brian on the couch and handed him the cold drink.   

"So, Brian. What are you planning to do in college, besides as many girls as you can?"

Ignoring the second half of her question he said he planned to go into advertising. At least that was the plan right now.  They talked about the college he was attending and she mentioned an interest in Real Estate after this divorce mess was done.   

Just then Jenny made a little cry for Mommy and Beth went to check on her.  There was another trip to the refrigerator and another beer appeared. As Beth sat down this time she not only moved closer to Brian she was nearly on his lap and rather than handing him the beer she reached over top of him to set the beer on the table next to him.