- Text Size +

Chapter 10 




The next few days were a blur of setting up the office, working on art, and packing clothes.  Although it wasn't far Brian hired a car to move their suitcases and the few boxes of other personal items. Brian had, also, had some boxes shipped from Pittsburgh. Now it was time to make it their home.  They put the clothes and bathroom supplies away.  They had some groceries delivered and set up the kitchen together.  They made it their home together.  By mid-afternoon they were both ready to relax for a while.   




Brian grabbed a bottle of wine out of the refrigerator and uncorked it while Justin cut up some fruit and cheese.  They took their refreshments out to the garden to relax. Sitting down by their little bistro table they sipped the wine and munched on the snack.  




"Now this is what I hoped to see," Dan said from across the courtyard.  "Someone enjoying our little piece of paradise in the city. You almost forget you are in the middle of a huge city. 




Both Brian and Justin said hi as he came across the garden.  "Hey, Dan, pull up a chair and join us," Brian greeted.  




"I'll grab a glass for you," Justin said as he walked to the door. He returned with another glass as well as a second bottle of wine.  He poured some burgundy liquid into the stemware and handed it to Dan.  




"Thanks, I really came over to invite you to dinner. I thought we could grill some steaks and have a salad.  Andre's picking up some dessert on the way home. I thought we could use the jacuzzi after we eat." 




Brian and Justin looked at each other and both nodded.  "Sounds great," Justin said as he bit into a piece of apple. Brian grabbed Justin's hand and wrapped his lips around the remaining piece of apple.  He slowly licked Justin's finger of all the remaining juices. 




"God, are you always like this?  I just got a rise watching that." 




Brian and Justin laughed.  "Well, not always," and at that they leaned into each other.  Their lips met and tongues entwined. 




"Well, boys, if you keep that up I am going to have to join you soon." 




Justin broke away.  "We might be able to arrange that later. Right now, I am going to finish unpacking the last couple boxes."  




Justin walked in the house but watched from the door.  Dan moved closer to Brian with a little gleam in his eye.  "Dan, have a seat.  We need to discuss the rules of the game."  Justin smiled as he headed to the kitchen. 




 




Dinner with Dan and Andre was enjoyable.  The steaks were done perfectly.  There was chocolate mousse for dessert which Brian politely declined.  "I'll take his."  Justin chimed in.   




"When I was your age I would have done the same thing," Andre stated as he dished up the dessert.  As the conversation continued Brian stuck his finger in Justin's dessert and licked off the creamy chocolate fluff.  Justin took a spoonful of the dessert and fed it to Brian. He moaned as it slipped into his mouth.  




Andre started laughing, "You know him well, don't you." 




"That's why I ask for extra.  He always says no but he always eats mine." Justin said. 




Brian stuck his finger back into the dessert and this time put it on Justin's nose.  He then proceeded to lick it off which only continued the fun. 




Dan looked over at Andre.  "Didn't I tell you they could get anyone horny?" This got all of them laughing. "Can I suggest we take this to the jacuzzi?" Andre was already on his feet, stripping of his shirt as he walked to the tub tucked in the corner of the garden.  "Come join us if you like." Dan said as he followed his lover. 




Brian looked at Justin.  "I know you talked to Dan. No, I didn't stand there and listen, I just heard the beginning." Justin stood and pulled Brian to his feet.  "Thank you! Let's go and have some fun. I am game where ever it takes us. And trust me, you letting me make the call is definitely going to benefit you later!" He gave one of his Sunshine smile and pulled at Brian's shirt as they walked.  "You have to be neighborly." 




 




The rest of the weekend flew by.  Justin set up a small studio area in the spare room so if he got inspired at home he had a place to go.  There was a small office area off the dining area that Brian set up for working at home.  The two made a home.  It wasn't Brian's place.  It wasn't Justin's apartment.  It was theirs. And it felt right. 




 




Monday morning Brian headed to the office to get Daphne started in her new position and Justin headed to the studio. As he arrived he remembered he Dillon hadn't showed up for a few days. He hadn't seen him since the night they went to the gallery. He hoped nothing was wrong. As he unlocked the space he heard music inside and saw Dillon in his area working away. 




"Hey, Dillon, where ya been? I was hoping nothing had happened when you missed a couple days." 




Dillon looked at Justin with a warm smile. "Sorry I worried you." He gave Justin a quick hug. " I needed to go see my mom for a couple days."  




"You don't owe me an explanation.  Just glad nothing had happened." 




Dillon smiled, "You are the first person I am getting to know in the city.  I don't make friends easily so I don't always know how to respond." 




"Hey, it is great for me to have a friend into art like me.  That way Brian doesn't always have to feel obligated to come along to events if you are interested." 




"Any time," He eagerly responded. 




Justin went on to tell him about the show he had scheduled after meeting with Mr. Scott.  "I don't want to take you away from your own work but the last month before the show I might need some help getting things together, framing, etc.  Would you be interested?  I have seen your work and know you have the skills I will need. The gallery is willing to pay you.  You won't get rich but it will make up for taking you away from your studio time." 




Dillon's face lit up.  "That would be great.  I would love to." 




The two young men parted and started working in their own space.  Dillon had to admit he was having a hard time focusing on his work.  His mind was too busy thinking about the show and Justin. 




 




Time moved quickly as Brian was planning a big opening for his office the week before Justin's show.  They figured the two big events and then they would take a long weekend away. They would need it. They didn't get near enough time together but they still had the ritual of showering together almost every morning just to connect physically and mentally for the day. 




 




Brian felt good about his new office.  His staff was very young but he liked that.  They were full of new ideas and open to try things.   If he wasn't mistaken there might be a budding romance between Daphne and Gale, the art director that had relocated from Pittsburgh.  They were being very professional but he had seen a couple gestures and glances that told him something might be up between them.  He really wasn't worried about that being an issue but he would bring it up to each of them separately just to make sure they all understood his position.  He remembered when Justin did an internship at his previous job.  He knew it was possible to do a good job even when in a relationship with a coworker but he just didn't want either of them to leave if it didn't work out. 




 




Justin couldn't believe how fast the time was going.  There were times he wondered if he should have asked Dillon to help him. He wasn't sure what it was.  One-minute Dillon was almost overly helpful and the next minute he seemed to resent Justin's good fortune.  He decided maybe they should have lunch and just talk it out. "Dillon, you have lunch plans today?"  




"No, nothing special, what's up? 




"How about coming over to my place.  We have a refrigerator full of food and beer.  I thought we could go over some of what I have planned for the exhibition." 




"Sure, sounds good." 




A couple hours later Dillon and Justin were taking the short walk to Brian and Justin's home.   Justin punched in the gate code and they walked into the courtyard.  Dillon stopped and looked around. "You live here?  This is amazing! I am surprised you even come to the studio when you could paint in a place like this." 




Just then Dan walked out of his place.  "Hey, Justin." He walked over to them.  "Guess it is lunch time, isn't it."  Justin introduced Dillon and the three men shared some pleasantries. "I won't bother you.  I was just going to make some phone calls in the sunshine.  I have been spending too much time inside." He went back to sit on his patio. 




Justin opened the door and showed Dillon in.  He pulled the makings for sandwiches out on the counter and they assembled sandwiches.  They each grabbed a drink and Justin grabbed a bag of chips as they went out on to the patio to eat.  Dillon pulled Justin's chair out for him and after they had both sat down he reached over and opened Justin's drink. 




From across the garden Dan couldn't help but watch.  That Dillon guy was an odd one.  He noticed how he doted on Justin.  He was fairly sure there was some crushing going on there but he was sure Justin could handle it.  He was sure Justin could handle most anything. 




"Hey, Dillon, one of the reasons I wanted to have lunch was I just wanted to make sure you were still ok with helping me out with the show.  I thought a couple times when I asked for some help I might have been taking you away from something you would rather be doing. If you've changed your mind that is fine.  We're cool. I just would need to get someone else lined up." 




Dillon barely let the words get out.  "No, I am so sorry if you thought that.  I didn't mean to give you that impression. I love working with you." He reached out and put his hand on Justin's shoulder.  "Your work is so amazing.  Maybe I am a little jealous and didn't realize it." 




From his seat, Dan saw Dillon reach toward Justin.  He could see Dillon's body language change. That guy was really strange.  Almost scary somehow.  He needed to talk to Justin and Brian about him.  He had worked in security before he went to the mundane field of real estate and this guy got his warning bells ringing. 




Dillon and Justin headed back to the studio and Dan couldn't throw the feeling.  He called Brian but got his voice mail.  He had the office number somewhere.  He punched it in.  Was he just being overly suspicious?  He wasn't willing to risk that.  The phone rang and he heard the voice of a young woman pick up.  "Kinnetiks, this is Daphne." 




"May I speak to Brian, please." 




"May I ask who is calling? Daphne responded.  She was standing next to Brian but knew better than to just pass the caller on. 




"This is Dan.  I guess you would say I am his landlord and neighbor." 




"Hold please." Daphne looked over at Brian.  "Do you know a Dan, your landlord?" 




"Oh, sure.  It is fine if you put him through in the future." Brian picked up the line. "Hey, Dan. What's up?" 




Dan jumped right into his concerns. "Brian how well do you know Justin's friend, Dillon?" 




Brian heard the concern in Dan's voice and he, too, felt something in the pit of his stomach. "I've met him a couple times.  I always thought he was different but he's an artist. A lot of Justin's friends could be considered weird. How did you meet him?" 




Dan went on to explain what he saw. "I didn't mean to be spying on them, and I wasn't because they knew I was there but something looked really off from where I sat.  At first, I thought it was a crush which I know Justin could deal with but as time went on I saw things that told me it could be more.  Since Justin is with him, I didn't want to call him." 




By now Brian was on his feet and pacing. "Thanks, Dan.  I think I will head over to the studio and say hi." 




"Brian, what's wrong.  Did something happen to Justin?  I could hear part of that.  What is going on?" 




"Dan met Dillon and just didn't like him.  I told him it was probably just the fact he is an artist." He didn't want to worry Daphne but she saw through him. 




"You aren't telling me everything but right now you need to go check on Justin.  Call me after you see him." Daphne gave Brian a little hug and he was out the door. 




 




 Justin and Dillon walked back to the studio.  Justin was getting a different feeling off of Dillon. He had touched Justin's arm a couple times as they walked and at one-point Justin thought Dillon was going to put his arm around him. As they arrived at the studio Justin opened the door.  




Dillon said, "Thanks for lunch.  I hope we can do this again sometime soon." Dillon reached for Justin for what he assumed was a kiss. 




"Um, Dillon, what are you doing?" 




"Well, I thought we had lunch.  You asked me to keep working with you.  I assumed..." 




"Dillon, you know I am with Brian.  You just saw our place. You know I love him.  I thought you..." 




"But you asked me out.  You want me to work with you." Dillon's voice began to rise and he was visibly agitated. 




Justin slipped back a step trying not to be obvious but wanting to be a little farther away.  He wasn't sure where this was coming from. He hadn't led Dillon on in anyway. "Dillon, I am sorry if I..." 




"You want me to work with you.  You want me. I want you."  By now his voice was raised and he had a wild look in his eye. 




 




Brian had grabbed a cab and as he made the trip tried to figure out what he was going to say.  If Dillon was a threat he didn't want to set him off. He was just going to play it cool, just passing by.  It probably wasn't anything to worry about. As he walked up to the studio he heard Dillon's voice and it was rising. He heard the words want you. He pulled the keys out of his pocket and fumbled for the one that would open this door. He unlocked it as quietly as he could and then burst through the door. 




"Hey, Justin, I thought I would surprise you."  Brian's loud interruption took Dillon by surprise. Brian immediately got himself placed between Dillon and Justin. He made quick eye contact letting Justin know he knew what was going on.  Once he felt he was in a good spot he focused on Dillon.  "Hey, Dillon. You seem a bit upset.  Is there something I can help with?" 
"You shouldn't be here.  This is Justin and my place. Justin wants me." 




As Dillon spoke Brian motioned Justin behind his back.  He wanted him safely out the door but Justin wasn't budging.  He wasn't leaving this crazy guy in the studio with his work. He took a step closer to Dillon.  "Dillon, you're right.  I did, I do want you.  I was going to tell Brian tonight." 




Brian wasn't sure why Justin was doing this but he could tell Dillon wasn't following him so he stepped out of his line of vision and called the police. With as few words as possible Brian got the message to them. 




Justin kept talking to Dillon and started asking him some questions.  "Hey, Dillon, have you talked to your mom lately?" 
"No, not since I saw her.  I told her about you.  I told her we were in love." 




"When can I meet her?" Talking about his mom seemed to be calming him down.  Helping him focus. 




"You don't really want to meet her, do you? I kind of went crazy didn't I."  




Justin and Brian both could see a change in Dillon.  "Dillon, do you take something that helps you … well, helps you think straight." 




"Yes," He said quietly. "I am sorry.  I just went a little crazy didn't I.  I know we aren't together. I know you love Brian." 




By now, Brian had stepped up behind Justin and put a hand on his shoulder. Then he saw the police outside the door and stepped out to tell them what had gone on leaving one officer at the door to keep an eye on Dillon. 




"Dillon, how about I call your mom. She lives close, doesn't she?" He nodded and handed Justin his phone.   




The officer stepped in and Justin stepped away.  He called the number that said mom.  He explained who he was and what had happened.  His mom started apologizing on the phone.  She had worried he might do something.  She would meet them at the police station.   




The police led Dillon away after Brian and Justin assured them they would be at the station in a little while. 




Brian rushed in and wrapped Justin in the security of his arms.  "Are you ok? What were you thinking? Why didn't you leave when you had a chance?" He captured Justin's quavering lips in a kiss. "Oh, Fuck, I was so scared." 




Justin quit shaking in the comfort the security Brian gave him.  "I couldn't leave him in here with my work. I started see his face kind of flipping from one look to another so I thought I would try to get the normal Dillon back. I guess it worked." 




They stood there holding on to each other for a few more minutes until Brian's phone started ringing. "Oh, shit, that's the office.  I was supposed to call Daphne."  He answered the phone and assured Daphne everything was fine now.  No one got hurt and they would explain everything to her soon. 




Arm in arm the strode out and waved down a cab. Brian gave the cabby the address and collected Justin in his arms.