- Text Size +

 

 

In His Defense: Chapter 2 - Animal Reactions


The mean streets of the Liberty Avenue jungle held a cornucopia of colors, sizes, and shapes of the animals the dwelled there. The variety of species, such as peacocks, bears, cubs, foxes, and a few lone wolves, lived together in a harmonious community for the most part. It was the reintroduction of a particularly nasty little weasel that caused the community strife. It has been noted that the nature of animals to succeed has caused a survival of the fittest mentality. The traits of any one species exhibited by another can cause dissention in the overall group. So the nasty little weasel imitating wolf traits was frowned upon. The wolf exhibiting its true nature struck fear in the heart of the nasty little weasel. The nasty little weasel turned to the fox as its next prey. But, as with all nasty little weasels, they have a small brain, and forget the nature of other animals and underestimate the cunning of foxes.

-------------------------------------------


The Fall semester started as Justin began his internship at Ryder. His full course load left little time for fun but Justin knew he was working his ass off for a reason. Kinnetik and Taylored Designs both hinged on the outcome of the next several months. Justin would be damned if he would let Brian or himself down so close to their dream coming true. The agency had become the dream of both of them. The best part of his day was when he got to see Brian at work.


They had become masters at hiding their private association. No one thought anything of Brian calling Justin into his office for a conference on campaign designs. It was mentioned in passing that the duo worked well together and produced great copy and art for the client campaigns. Justin was given Brian’s accounts to design with no need for discussion. Brian had historically bitched at the art department in the past, so when the young intern came along and was able to handle the ad man’s perfectionist tendencies, he was considered god sent. The duo often worked long hard hours deep into the night.


Cynthia was tickled by their antics. Brain would growl orders and Justin would growl right back. Justin would defend his design decisions with passion. Brian would protest changes to his vision with vigor. The end product was a compromise both could live with. Only Cynthia knew the tricks both men used to get their way. The chocolate sauce stain still on the bottom of a sofa cushion in Brian’s office was a particularly fond memory of one such sticky debate.


The plans for Brian’s exit strategy from Ryder were complete. Kinnetik and Taylored Designs would open in four months. The renovations to the building and bottom loft were underway. The partnership papers had been signed and filed the previous month. The last renovations to be completed would be the stairs to Brian’s upper loft. Brian didn’t want Justin under any added stress before graduation. The employment contracts for Cynthia and Ted would be signed the day after Brian left Ryder. Brian had insisted that Ted sign a nondisclosure agreement. Brian trusted Ted with his money but he didn’t trust anyone with his blond angel. The urge to gossip about Justin and his association might have been too tempting for the accountant to contain himself. So Brian put it in a language Ted could understand - blab and I sue your ass for all you are worth. Ted spoke the language of money fluently.


Justin had been preparing to out himself for years. He wanted to live his life as an out and proud gay man. He had a wonderful partner he was very proud of. He felt blessed to be allowed to watch Gus grow up.  Daphne was the best friend any gay boy would ever be honored to have. He was half of the crucial team opening a brilliant new agency. He was on the verge of having everything he ever wanted, except he knew he would lose his parents. His dad had put all his expectations on Justin’s shoulders for years. His mom would never cross his father or risk losing her standing at that damn country club. Justin knew he deserved a life of his own - it was the American dream after all.

--------------------------------------------

“Brian have you seen my advertising book? I have three chapters to finish before class tomorrow. I don’t have time for this shit,” Justin yelled across the loft as he tore his messenger bag apart looking for the hidden book.


“I have it. I was just reading some. The shit they teach in school is so impractical. You’re lucky you have access to my advertising genius to correct any bullshit they think they know,” Brian snarked as he handed the book back to Justin. “Brian, I have known the benefits of your genius in many areas of my education for a long time,” Justin purred as he wrapped his arms around his older partner. That little stroke to Brian’s ego earned Justin a very satisfying blow job.


Both men were lost in a passionate kiss when a banging on the loft door made them jump. “Briiiaan. Are you in there? Open the door. I need your help. Please!” Michael yelled through the closed door.


Justin looked at Brian with fear in his eyes. “When the hell did the idiot get back in town?” Justin whispered.


“I don’t know. Last I heard from Ted he had moved to Portland, Oregon with some chiropractor and was playing the doctor’s wife in Stepford Fagville,” Brian whispered back. “Maybe the little weasel will just go the fuck away if we are really quiet,” Brian said hopefully.


They both listened as finally they heard the elevator rumbling and Michael’s muttering quiet down.


“You know he is just going to come back until he tells you whatever it is he wants. Brian, please be careful. The Idiot is crazy. He hurt you last time he was here. It took months for him to leave you alone aftewards,” Justin pleaded with his partner.


“It’s going to be ok, Angel. I know better than to trust the little weasel again. I will be careful,” Brian said as he leaned his forehead against Justin’s. Brian was more worried about what Michael would do when he found out about Justin.


Justin left the loft to get back to his dorm before curfew. He would be glad when he could move into the loft with Brian. However, Justin was worried about Michael being back in town. He was so deep in thought about the tricky problem, he didn’t notice anyone watching him from the shadows next to Brian’s building.


Justin got to Brian’s jeep and put his bag in the back. He would pick Brian up in the morning before work and then use the jeep to get to class before going back to work himself. It was a lot of running around, but the jeep made it easier. Brian had leased a Mercedes to use but it was in the shop getting worked on that week, so Justin would just pick him up in the mornings before work for a few days.


Michael stepped out of the shadows right as Justin pulled away in the jeep. Michael was pissed beyond reason. Who was that blond fucker driving Brian’s jeep? Where the hell was Brian? Why was he still not answering his door and why had the phone numbers been changed? He knew once Brian heard his problems he would just fix them all. They were Brian and Mikey. Best friends. They loved each other. Michael just knew Brian missed him. They were destined to be old queens in Palm Springs - that had always been the plan, right? Michael was sure Brian just needed to be reminded of their love and friendship. Now that he was free of David, they could finally be the couple he knew they were meant to be. Michael had heard the rumors about Brian not going out and hardly drinking at all anymore. ‘Brian must be ready to make a commitment since he wasn’t fucking all those tricks anymore’, Michael thought, smiling to himself. He just didn’t know who that blond was.

-------------------------------------------------

Anyone that knows the nature of animals could have seen this situation coming. To give a general explanation, one needs to understand the traits of certain animals in order to predict those animals’ behavior. Weasels can look cute and cuddly but are actually blood thirsty. A weasel in a frenzied state will kill more than it can eat. Weasels have been known to stalk their prey. Foxes are well adapted to their homes; they have secured a niche where they can make the best out of almost any situation. A fox is a small but hardy animal with high intelligence. Foxes are extremely protective and loyal to their mates. Now, wolves have developed the capacity to survive in the most inhospitable of climates. Wolves are intelligent creatures built for stamina. Their chest, powerful backs and legs, assist in their efficient locomotion. The alpha male assumes the top position in the pack but will have a beta ‘second in command’ to help run things. A beta will be content in this position but can assume an alpha role when needed. During mating season, wolves and foxes prefer to spend a lot of time in seclusion.


When a dark male wolf and a white male fox were observed acting as a mated pair in the Pittsburg area by nature watchers, it caused quite a discussion of homosexual nature versus nurture development in animals.

---------------------------------------------

“Relax Justin. Daphne is going to love her presents. We picked a restaurant you said your parents never come too. Everything will be fine,” Brian said as he pulled the car up to the valet stand next to the restaurant where they were meeting Daphne.


“Thanks for coming with me, Brian. Daphne really wanted you to be at her birthday dinner,” Justin said as he kissed Brian’s cheek.


Daphne was already waiting at the table Cynthia had reserved.


“Wow, Daphne, you look hot. I would fuck you,” Brian smirked.


Daphne giggled out a, “thanks. Brian. You too. I mean you look hot too. Is that Armani?” Daphne blushed.


Justin laughed as he kissed his best friend’s cheek. Brian had a way of making comments that would make a sailor blush in shame. “You look beautiful Daph. That dress fits in all the right places,” Justin commented.


Daphne laughed, “Well, when a girl has a date with two beautiful, sexy men, she does her best.”


Justin perused the menu. “Can we order? I am starving. Brian says the sea bass is good. I can’t eat fish but the steak sounds good,” Justin said to Daphne as the waiter took their orders.


The threesome enjoyed a hearty meal and superb conversation. After dessert, Justin and Brian gave Daphne her presents. Justin gave her a diamond necklace and Brian gave her a leather Prada backpack. Daphne was touched at her friends’ thoughtfulness and generosity.


“Daphne, would you mind if I borrow Justin for a dance?” Brian batted his eyes at her playfully.


Daphne laughed. “No, Brian, you can have him”


“Hey,” Justin protested but stood up anyway.


They walked to the middle of the dance floor and held each other close as they swayed to the music. Daphne observed the couple from her seat at the table. She was sure a more beautiful couple had never been seen. The look on Justin’s face made a tear come to her eye. It was obvious to anyone that looked that they were deeply in love. Brian was mouthing the words to that old, ‘Save The Last Dance’ song, in Justin’s ear. Daphne was sure Justin knew who was taking him home and in whose arms he belonged. She didn’t think Justin could ever give his heart to anyone else but Brian. Brian was rubbing Justin’s back and she could see her friend shivering at the touch. Daphne was happy for Justin. She knew he would never let Brian go because he loved him so much. Daphne had no doubts that both of them would be saving their last dance only for each other.


However, Daphne was not the only one observing the couple. Ted and Emmett had been having dinner at the same restaurant to celebrate Em’s return to the queer life. After an HIV scare, Emmett had tried to ‘see the light’ and live the straight life. His messy sexual experience with a wannabe-reformed lesbian had convinced the queen he was indeed gay. But it was his best friend, Teddy, that convinced him that God loved him. Teddy said God made him, and God doesn’t make mistakes, so Emmett must be just the way he was supposed to be. He was a nelly bottom queen and he was happy with that. So he was going to embrace it and be the best homosexual he could be. He would rather his flame burn bright, than be a tiny little pilot light.


“Oh my God, Teddy, do you see what I see? Brian Kinney is wrapped around a little blond fox. Its looks like the big bad wolf found his goldilocks. Brian is looking at that boy like he adores him or could eat him - I’m not sure which. Of course, who wouldn’t look at that cute little bubble butt like that!” Emmett said, gesturing with his hands all over the place so bad that he almost fell out his chair.


Ted was trying hard to hide behind his menu. Now would be a good time for the earth to open up and swallow him. Brian was going to kill him and all that would be left was his calculator.


“I don’t see anything.  Where is that damn waiter with our order?” Ted said, refusing to get out from behind his menu.


“TEDDY, they are right there! What the hell is wrong with you? Stop hiding!” Emmett said loudly as he snatched the menu away from Ted.


Ted looked up just in time to see Brian narrow his eyes in their direction. Ted paled at the death glare he got from Brian.


“Teddy what the fuck is wrong with you?” Emmett again asked his friend, concerned that Ted looked like he was going to be sick.


“I don’t speak, see, or hear anything. I know nothing,” Ted muttered in a low voice, hoping to invoke a little luck from evil repelling monkeys.


Brian took Justin back to their table then excused himself. He quickly made his way to his friends’ table and pulled up a chair.


“Schmidt, I am going to break your fucking knee caps,” Brian hissed in a low voice.


“I didn’t say anything, Bri. I swear!” Ted said as he gulped for air. Ted knew this was bad oh so bad.


“Honeycutt… Emmett, I am going to ask you for a huge fucking favor,” Brian turned his attention to the other queen at the table. “Please don’t tell anyone what you saw here tonight. I am asking as a friend. If you come by the loft tomorrow, I swear I will explain it all. Ted bring him by at about  five pm and I will order dinner or some shit,” Brian said pleadingly.


Emmett was so taken aback at Brian’s request that all he could do was nod his head and say, “I promise Brian”.


“Thank you,” Brian replied as he stood up and went back to his table where Justin was waiting for him.


Emmett watched as Brian, the blond, and a pretty girl left the restaurant. Emmett looked at Ted but Ted held up his hand. “Let Brian explain it, Em. I am begging you,” Ted said quietly.


“Ok, Teddy,” Emmett replied. Emmett thought the next day was going to be the most interesting he had had in a long time, which was saying a lot since he had just fucked a woman not that long before.


The next afternoon, Justin sat quietly on the sofa in the loft. Brian paced the hard wood floors chain smoking.


“Brian, please calm down. It will be ok. We couldn’t hide forever. We made it fourteen months - that has to be some kind of record. Maybe it is time for me to be out anyway?” Justin tried to rationalize.


“Two months. Two fucking months till you graduate and then we launch the agency,” Brian said as he knelt down in front of Justin. “I am so sorry, Angel. I tried so hard to protect you. Now it’s all fucked up.”


Justin rubbed his hand across Brian’s cheek as the older man leaned into his touch. “Brian, we’re fine. We’re not hurt. Only one friend found out. Besides, if he blabs, we will bury him in the park!” Justin said reassuringly.


Brian laughed as they heard the buzzer announce their visitors. Brian kissed his angel then said, “Wait in the bedroom. You can hear everything, but he won’t see you till we are ready.”


Brian waited till Justin had moved off before he hit the buzzer releasing the street door and then moved to open the loft door and let Ted and Emmett enter.


“Good afternoon, ladies. Dinner will be here soon,” Brain snarked while secretly thinking this was fucking torture.


Ted and Emmett looked around the loft warily, waiting for the firing squad they suspected was coming.


“Have a seat. Anyone want a drink?” Brian asked. Drinks were passed out and the guys sat down before Brian started. “You can ask questions but I reserve the right not to answer. But first, Emmett, you need to sign this. It’s a standard non-disclosure form that says if you violate the terms and spill what I tell you, it gives me the right to sue your ass,” Brain said as he handed Emmett the paper and a pen.


“Does Teddy have to sign one too?” Emmett asked after he realized Brian did not give Ted one.


“I already did, Em. It’s is a very common practice in business,” Ted explained.


Always a curious cat, Emmett quickly signed the paper and gave it back to Brian.


“To make it perfectly clear, Honeycutt, you betray us and they will never find your body.” Brian paused and eyed his old friend with a drop-dead seriousness that left no room for interpretation. “Justin, you can come out now,” Brian said as he looked up at his bedroom just in time to see his partner come down the stairs.


Justin came in and sat on Brian’s lap as Brian put a possessive arm around his waist. Emmett thought to himself, ‘so it’s like that, is it?’ and mentally chuckled.


“Emmett Honeycutt, meet Justin Taylor . . . my partner,” Brian announced by way of an introduction.


Emmett shot his wine out his nose as he choked on that bit of news.


“Emmett that is a fucking fifteen-thousand-dollar sofa you just snorted red wine all over,” Brian yelled as Justin ran to grab a washcloth and some club soda.


“It’s nice to meet you, Emmett,” Justin smiled at the man.


Emmett was caught for a moment by that sunny smile.


“Put your eyes back in your head, Em, before Brian pulls them out with a rusty spoon,” Ted warned.


Justin laughed, then turned on the megawatt smile he was known for.


“EM!” Ted hissed at his best friend.


Emmett snapped out of his trance in time to hear Brian growling at him - the man literally growled, making the hair on the back of Em’s neck stand up.


“I told you,” Ted whispered to him.


After a dinner of Chinese food arrived and they had relocated to a table with an easily cleanable surface, Emmett started with the questions he was dying to ask. “I signed that form, so now I want to know everything. The when, why, what, where, and how long of it all.”


Brian and Justin took turns telling their parts of the story of their private association. “That’s why it’s so important to keep our secrets Emmett” Justin concluded.


“What about the rest of the family? This stuff is bound to get out. I won’t say anything, I promise, but the gossips will catch on eventually,” Emmett theorized.


“We only need two more months. Then it can all come out. But with the business about to open, the timing of Brian’s exit has to be perfect,” Justin answered.  


“Justin has finals then graduation to attend. After that he will be free to be as out as you or me. His parents aren’t paying his expenses anymore since he started the internship, but he doesn’t need the added stress of their reaction right now. On top of that, the munchers would be after more money, if they knew what we were planning. I already pay more than fair support for Gus, but I refuse to support them too. Unfortunately, after I refused to sign my parental rights away, they decided I could be strong-armed into being their personal piggy bank. And, since I’ve heard they are having money issues, among their many other problems, I’m reluctant to give them yet another reason to come begging with their hands out. Also, last but definitely not least, Michael would end up being unbearable if he knew what I was trying to do. He is totally off his rocker at this point and I don’t want him coming after Justin. He already attacked me last year and, since he’s been back from Portland, he’s been getting even more meddlesome. We think the little weasel wants something new,” Brian stated.

 

“What do you mean, attacked you?” Ted asked with an air of disbelief.


“Last year, before he left with the chiropractor, he came into the loft when I wasn’t home one day and dug through damn near every cabinet, drawer, and closet in here. The place was trashed. I was pissed when I came home and found the mess. I told him to give back his key. I didn’t want him around here again, so I told him to get a life and some help. I also told him we were not together and never would be. In retaliation, the fucking little weasel hit me in the head with that crystal vase that I used to have. Luckily, Justin and his friend, Daphne happened to be hiding in the bathroom and they heard everything. Justin took me to the hospital and I ended up getting eighteen fucking staples in my head,” Brain finished, parting his hair to show them the scar.


“That’s why you and Michael stopped being friends! I get why you stopped hanging down on the Ave. But why avoid Deb? And me?” Emmett said somewhat sad.


“I didn’t need Debbie’s shit blaming me for poor Mikey and his hurt feelings. I was already working really long hours to get ready for this business move, Emmett, and I wanted to spend any free time I did have with Justin or Gus. I’m sorry, but it wasn’t personal.” Brian explained sincerely. He really was sorry he had neglected his friend.


“In Brain’s defense, he was going to ask you to plan our launch party, Emmett,” Justin said consolingly then hit Emmett with a megawatt smile. “Please do it, Em. It would mean a lot to both of us.”


Emmett laughed. “Of course, I’ll plan your party, Baby. I’d be thrilled. Just let me know the details and I will plan you a launch party like this city has never seen.”


Justin stood up and reached for his messenger bag. “Well, now that that’s all resolved, I have some studying to do before the weekend is over. I hope we can get together again soon, though,” Justin said before kissing his partner and heading home.


“Oh, Brian, he is to die for,” Emmett fake swooned.


“You’re right, Emmett, he is to die for, and I would. He is also to kill for, and I would do that too,” Brian warned with a death glare that left no misunderstanding of his meaning.


“How about we go get a drink at Woody’s and shoot a few games of pool?” Ted offered in an attempt to lighten the mood.


“Sure,” Brian replied as he cleared the table of the dinner dishes.


Emmett watched while he tried to process this new version of Brian. He decided he liked what he saw. This man was someone he could really be friends with.

-----------------------------------------------------

Michael had been watching the little blond fucker for a month now. The fucker was never alone where Michael could confront him. Michael couldn’t get into the loft, that college dorm, or Brian’s office building. If the blond went anywhere else, either that girl or Brian had been with him. Michael had even trailed the fucker way out into the suburbs, only to be locked out of a gated community. It was infuriating.


Right then, Michael was hiding behind a tree in front of the fucker’s dorm, still watching him from afar, when he heard raised voices.


“I have told you repeatedly to leave me the hell alone. What part of not ‘no’ but ‘hell, no!’ don’t you get? Come near me again and I will shove that violin up your ass and use you as a fucking music box. You hear me? Don’t make me get a fucking restraining order, Ethan. You will not like the consequences. And remember, harassment and stalking are illegal. That won’t look good to the college peer review board or any fucking music agents,” Justin yelled at the greasy fiddle player then stomped off to his dorm.


The fiddler slunk off down the walk. Michael watched this whole incident transpire and then left his hiding place, headed for Woody’s. The blond fucker was tougher than he’d thought and Michael needed a drink while he thought through what he was going to do next.

------------------------------------------------

As all observers of nature know, animal behavior, while predictable, can change as environmental factors change. Once such factor might be the introduction of an invading species.


A wolf prefers psychological warfare instead of physical confrontation, but will become very territorial when threatened. Wolves howl as a form of communication but also as a rallying cry to the pack. A wolf will fight to the death to protect their mate.


A fox has excellent hearing that allows them to locate the precise location of their prey. A fox will leap into the air and pounce on their hidden prey.


Weasels will perform a hilarious ‘Weasel War Dance’ when they have their prey cornered. The wacky twisting, hopping, and darting is meant to confuse or distract the prey. The weasel can then blast a reeking ‘musk’ scent which it keeps in a pouch underneath its tail.


Animal behaviors used in defense of a mate against an aggressor that invades its territory can be deadly, and  at the very least damn painful.

------------------------------------------

Brian and the boys were laughing and playing a game of pool when the eleventh  trick-wannabe approached Brian. “Fuck off. Not interested,” Brian said not even looking up from the table.


Ted and Emmett looked at each other. Ted wondered if anyone would ever figure out the mystery that was Brian Kinney. Emmett thought, if anyone ever could it would be Justin Taylor.


“Stop that shit and take your shot, Theodore” Brian snarked.


“What shit?” Ted asked in confusion.


Brian raised an eyebrow and said, “the no trick thing. It is no one’s fucking business.”

Ted took his shot and lost. “Another round?” Ted asked, hoping someone would bite because the loser had to buy the next round.


“Briiannn! You’re here. I have been trying to find you for weeks. Your bitch assistant refuses to put my calls through. I can’t get into your building anymore either. Haven’t you missed me? I don’t have your new numbers. Don’t you want to hang out? You never come out anymore. I haven’t seen you at Babylon or here since I got back,” Michael whined in a voice that would peel paint off the walls. “I’m really glad I finally found you, though. I got in some trouble and I need your advice. I just know you’ll be able to help. You always fix everything, just like Batman does in issue 201 when the Riddler steals Gotham City’s treasury. It will only take a few hundred thousand.” Michael rushed through his partial explanation, then looks at Brian with his standard puppy dog eyes.


Brian hated that fucking look. It made him want to stick a fork in Michael’s damn forehead.


“What the hell kind of trouble did you get into Michael?” Ted asked puzzled. A few hundred thousand was more than just a little trouble.


“I got sued for sexual harassment and lost. That’s all,” Michael shrugged.


“That’s all, he says.” Ted echoed in a disgusted tone.


Emmett, in his naturally nosy way, asked the next most pertinent question. “Who did you harass?”


“I didn’t harass anybody. I was working at a department store in Portland. I wanted to get a promotion so I could open my own comic book shop. David said it was a bad investment and wouldn’t give me the money to open it. So I needed the promotion but my boss was a fucking homophobe. Which is why I invited a girl, Tracy, to my boss’s birthday party to try to get him to believe I was straight. Of course, then I had to convince everyone we were a couple, so when David went out of town, I invited Tracy over and fucked her. I wanted her to tell people we slept together. But, unfortunately, David came home early and caught us. He threw me out and burned all my collectables. I couldn’t have Tracy tell anyone, so I got her fired. But she still told that fat bitch, Marley, who told everyone else, and I got fired anyway. Then Tracy sued the store and the store sued me. It was all just a big misunderstanding. But, Brian, now that you know, you can make everything ok. Just pay off the suit and we can just forget about it all.”


Michael looked at Brian again with his sick puppy look. Brian, Ted, and Emmett look at each other and they all started laughing.


“What is so fucking funny?” Michael screeched.


“Michael, you really are a little weasel. You fuck up and then expect me to pay for it? You fuck over some girl, cheat on your gay lover with that girl, misrepresent yourself to your coworkers and boss, then lie to everyone, get fucking sued and lose. Now you want me to give you a few hundred thousand dollars? How damn dumb and delusional are you?” Brian complained as he lined up his next shot.


“I am your best fucking friend, Brian. You’ve whored yourself to half your clients to close a deal and nobody ever called you on it. But, I fuck some dumb girl one time and I lose everything. It’s not fair. You have to fix this. You’re supposed to take care of me - we are Brian and Mikey!” Michael insisted.


“You are not my fucking responsibility, Michael. I told you last year to grow the fuck up. I may have fucked clients, once upon a time, but it wasn’t to close any god damn deals. I closed those deals because I am the fucking best at what I do. I worked my ass off to get that way too. Now, get the fuck away from me and stay the fuck away,” Brian yelled back, pointing towards the exit for the bar.


“This is all that little blond fuckers fault, isn’t it?” Michael accused. “He’s changed you. He’s just some fucking trick that stayed too long, Brian. You can’t choose him over me,” Michael shouted at his former best friend.

Michael wasn’t quick enough to get away, though. Brian took three steps across the bar and grabbed Michael by the throat.


“You go near him and I will fucking kill you. This is your only warning motherfucker. Stay the fuck away from us,” Brain demanded before he threw Michael to the ground.


Ted and Emmett followed Brian out of the bar, leaving the nasty little weasel to looks after them in fear.


‘But we are Brian and Mikey’, he thought. “All this shit is that fucking blond’s fault,” Michael muttered to himself as the tears ran down his face and his rage built even further.

--------------------------------------------

After leaving Woody’s, they all needed a drink so they headed to Babylon. A quick call to Justin calmed the brunet down considerably. Justin decided to meet them at the club to surprise Brian. Entering Babylon, Justin felt the beat of the music in his blood. He made his way to the bar and found Brian already downing his third shot of Beam.


“Hey, Stud. Wanna dance?” Justin purred in his devil’s ear.


“Justin? What the hell are you doing here? I don’t want you hurt. The nutty little weasel is out there on the loose somewhere,” Brian warned as he scanned the crowd.


“I am not afraid of the Idiot. Besides, I have my Big Stud to protect me. Now, forget that loser and come dance with me,” Justin said as he licked the shell of Brian’s ear.

Brian, of course, couldn’t resist and offer like that. They moved to the dance floor and started swaying to the rhythm of the beat. Wrapped around each other with hands roaming body parts things get hot quick.


“Watching them is like watching a live-action porno,” Emmett said as he fanned himself.


“Yeah, and I know porn,” Ted commented.


“Of course you do, Honey,” Emmett said and patted Teddy’s shoulder as they moved to join the porn-image-producing couple on the dance floor.


The need to piss and get some water eventually brought the porn dancers off the floor. Emmett headed to the bathroom with Justin as Brian headed to the bar with Ted. Brian was sipping his water, watching the hallway in the direction of the bathrooms, as Justin and Emmett were approaching from the opposite direction. Which is when Justin saw that cat torturing, fiddle playing, greasy bastard, Ethan, walking up behind Brian with a beer bottle raised in his hand. Brian never saw Ethan coming.


Justin ran up the stairs, yelling for Brian to move and then vaulted the stair railing, launching himself at Ethan’s back. Brian, Ethan, and Justin all hit the floor in a jumbled pile of arms and legs. Justin was the first to recover.


“I told you to stay the fuck away from me and to stop stalking me. Now you try to fucking hit my partner in the head with a beer bottle!” Justin shouted and slammed his Doc Martin-booted foot down on the fiddler’s slimy hand, then added a swift kick to the bastard’s balls for good measure. After making sure the attacker wasn’t going to rally, Justin reached for Brian to reassure himself that his lover was unharmed. Justin was still shaking with fear as he realized just how close Brian came to being hurt.


Brian wrapped his arms protectively around his avenging Angel and questioned, “Who the hell is this guy?”


The guy in question was still rolling around on the ground, wailing and moaning.


“His name is Ethan Gold. He goes to my school,” Justin explained. “He has been trying to get me to go out with him for a while now. He follows me around, calling me his damn muse or some shit all the time. He also plays his screechy violin at me whenever he sees me. I swear, it sounds like two cats fighting in a sack. I have told him repeatedly to fuck off but he won’t leave me alone.” Justin huffed and scowled at the cowering figure on the floor.


“Why didn’t you report the asshole?” Brian asked as he looked down on the wailing bastard with a death glare.


“The last time I reported a guy for harassment, I got a baseball bat to the head,” Justin whispered.


Brian’s temper was about to get the best of him, but luckily the bouncers were hauling Ian -or whatever the fuck his name was - off by that time.


“Hold on!” Brian shouted then got in Ian’s face, staring him down with deathly calm. “You go near Justin again and I will break both your fucking arms. Try playing your fucking fiddle with two crushed hands. You understand me, fuckwit?”


Ian nodded his head vigorously. No way did he want to tangle with this incensed older man.


Justin whispered in Brian’s ear, “See, Stud, I knew you would protect me. It’s because you sooo love me.”


Brian chuckled. “Shut up, Twat . . . But, by the way, I do love you. And thanks for saving me, Angel.”


Just then they looked up to find about three hundred pairs of eyes watching their every interaction.


“Oh shit. I guess I really am outed now. No way can this be kept quiet,” Justin said in defeat.


“These people don’t really run in your parent’s social circles, Justin. And anyway, it’s not like they know your name. We just need to get the fuck out of here before we have to answer any questions. Ted, Emmett,  move your asses. We got to go,” Brian ordered and the pack of friends quickly left the bar and headed for home.

------------------------------

By the next morning, the juicy gossip had reached epic levels. Every queer in the Liberty Ave jungle had heard the tale of the legendary lone wolf and his mysterious blond fox. The mystery deepened when the queenly flamingo and his loyal badger best friend were questioned but refused to share. Those in the know said they’d known all along that the lone wolf had found his mate. The hens cackled that the former sidekick-turned-nasty-little-weasel was caught hopping, darting and spreading a twisted tale about the blond fox stealing his wolf. Those in the know reminded the hens that foxes ate weasels. The blond fox had already shown he was more than ready to fight for his mate and foxes were notorious for having perfect hearing. The mice chattered that the lone wolf was just as protective but he was fiercer a creature so the weasel should take the wolf’s warning to heart. The red headed harridan hippo at the diner defended the weasel but was reprimanded and reminded to beware that the little mocha lioness seen in the blond fox’s presence had a mighty roar and sharper claws. Those in the know had no doubt the little mocha lioness would rip that fake ass wig off the fat hippo’s head, as was the nature of such females. The wolf and his pack were later observed congregating around the local watering hole. The obvious love the wolf and his foxy blond mate shared was the envy of the jungle. But, as with all envy, it often turns to hate, which even in the animal kingdom is a sin.