- Text Size +

price of a mothers love.jpg

In His Defense: The Price of a Mother’s Love


Brian had finished the work he brought home from the office a half hour earlier. He continued to sit at his desk watching his partner move around the loft with comfortable grace. Justin had started bringing a few boxes of his stuff over the week before. Brian had convinced him to bring everything he wouldn’t need for the few weeks left till graduation from his dorm room. He wanted the transition to be smooth and quick for his Angel. The launch of their agency and his graduation were only weeks away. The couple knew a big blow up was coming with Justin’s family when his parents found out their son was gay and had an older lover. Justin had been preparing for the confrontation for months but that didn’t make it easier.

Justin was unpacking some boxes and storing others when they heard a loud banging on the loft door. Brian had instituted a ‘call before you come’ policy with the family months earlier in preparation for Justin moving in. Ted and Emmett were fine with the change because they knew about Justin. The Novotny’s weren’t a problem since Brian threatened to have them arrested if they ever darkened his doorstep again. That left the only Munchers.

Brian motioned for Justin to get into the bedroom. As soon as Justin was hidden, Brian opened the door . . . to a horrific sight. He was stunned at the condition of their uninvited guest.

“Lindsay, what the fuck happened to you?” Brian swore as he looked at his son’s mother.

Lindsay was holding Gus in one arm and an overflowing diaper bag in the other. Her shirt was torn and she was barefoot. She had bruises and scratch marks to her face and a split lip. Brian took his son from the trembling woman and told her to sit down on the sofa.

“Mel and I had a fight. She found out I had an affair with a man I met at work. She threatened to take Gus and throw me out. It got really bad, Brian. When I came home from work, she was already half drunk. I have never seen her so mad,” Lindsay declared as she set Gus’s diaper bag on the floor in front of the sofa. “When she started threatening me, I told her she had no rights to Gus and she went nuts. It went to shit from there. She was trying to get up the stairs to Gus’ room. I pushed her away from the stairs and she fell into the dining room table. The glass top shattered. I ran upstairs, threw some stuff in Gus’ bag, grabbed him and my keys as I ran out the house. Mel was laying on the floor moaning when I left,” Lindsay explained with a shaky voice. “I need you to keep Gus for a while, Brian. I called 911 from my car to get her an ambulance. I think I hurt her really bad, Brian. I expect the cops to be here to get me any minute; I know they traced the call. You listen to me, Brian,” Lindsay pleaded, before looking at Brian with a broken look on her face. “I don’t want you getting involved in this any more than I have already dragged you into it. You just keep Gus safe.”

“Don’t worry about Gus, I can handle him,” Brian assured her as he took Gus out of Lindsay’s arms. “It sounds like self-defense to me. But you’ll need a good lawyer, Lindz. I’ll see about getting you one as soon as I can,” Brian offered as he looked up to see a very shocked Justin standing on the steps to the bedroom.

“Justin, come take Gus. I need to make a call,” Brian asked before reaching for the phone.

Lindsay grabbed his hand before he could dial.

“No, Brian. You stay the fuck out of it. My father will get me a lawyer. They might not approve of my lifestyle but my parents won’t abandon me. I need you to promise me you will keep Gus, and tell him his Mother loved him. Promise me, Peter!” Lindsay demanded as they heard sirens in the distance.

She looked at the young blond man holding her son. Gus was clinging to the blond but not upset.

“I knew Brian had fallen in love,” she addressed the young man holding her son.  “I could tell by his eyes. I didn’t say anything because I wanted him to be free to love, with no apologies or regrets. You keep both of them safe and happy.” Lindsay requested quietly and Justin could only nod at her. “Brian, here are the keys to my car. There’s an envelope with certified copies of all Gus’ important papers in it, that I kept there for emergencies. Everything you will need should be in there. The envelope is in the trunk under the spare tire. Get it out before the cops take the car,” Lindsay instructed.

Brian rushed down to the car and grabbed the envelope along with Gus’ car seat before running back inside the loft.

Justin quickly handed Gus back to Brian and hurried up to the bedroom. He grabbed his new hoodie and a pair of his flip-flops from their closet. He  came back to Lindsay and offered her the items. “Please put these on, it’s cold outside,” he persuaded her, as he tried to give her a smile.

They could hear the elevator and loud footsteps. Still, the banging on the door made them jump. Brian handed the baby to Justin and said “bathroom” hoping to avoid Justin being seen.

Lindsay quickly slipped on the shoes and hoodie before standing up. She saw Gus’s happy smile before Justin closed the bathroom door. She stood up and nodded to Brian before he opened the loft door.

Brian whispered, “we will miss you, Wendy”.

Lindsay was arrested and handcuffed. Brian promised to call her parents and told her not to say shit till she had a lawyer. He watched in horror as the bruised and bloody mother of his child was hauled away.

Brian closed the loft door with a heavy heart. He sat heavily on the sofa before calling to Justin to come out of the bathroom. He had known Lindsay since college and never thought this could happen to the once free-spirited girl she had been. The look of anguish in Brian’s eyes hurt Justin’s heart. He had only heard stories of the munchers up till that point; meeting Lindsay in person had been a shock to the system. This was not how Justin had wanted to meet Gus’ mother. He held the baby firmly, as he sat on the sofa and put his head on Brian’s shoulder, hoping to offer some comfort to his usually strong partner. Brian wrapped his arms around the two most important people in his life, hoping to protect them both from the hell that was the world outside their loft.

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to do now! She made me promise to stay out of it. I just don’t know if I can leave her to fend for herself. I really believe it was self-defense and she was also protecting Gus from that drunk bitch, Mel,” Brian said almost as if he was talking to himself.

“The first thing you do is hold your son,” Justin directed. “He needs you now more than ever. Lindsay trusted you to protect her son because she couldn’t right now; give her the peace of mind to know he will be cared for. Just knowing Gus is safe will give her courage. Then, call her parents and give them the opportunity to help their daughter. Respect her enough to have the strength to endure what will come,” Justin exclaimed as he handed Gus to his father.

Brian knew Justin was right. He made the call to the Petersons. He related the tale as he knew it and waited for the confirmation they would help Lindsay before he disconnected the call. He was surprised when they asked about Gus, but was adamant in his decision to care for his son.   

Even so, Brian was worried about how they were going to care for Gus full time with Justin’s exams and the agency launch only weeks away. They would be working so many hours and fulltime fatherhood was not what he’d expected right then. He knew he couldn’t neglect his son. Nor could he demand that his young partner take on a responsibility as big as parenthood. Justin could feel the tension in Brian’s body and watched as the man processed the reality of their new situation.

“Brian, no!” Justin stated firmly as he examined the contents of the diaper bag.

Brian gave him a quizzically raised brow, wondering what his Angel was refusing.

Justin let out a deep sigh. He knew it would be a grueling confrontation if he worded his thoughts wrong. “No, I will not allow you to push me away. No, you will not take all this on by yourself. No, I will not allow this to interfere with my exams. No, raising Gus, for however long is needed, will not stop us from achieving our dreams. Just plain no.” Justin declared as he finished his inventory of the baby paraphernalia.

Justin glanced at the smirk on his partner’s face and added his own smile to the mix.

“You read minds now, Angel?” Brian said sheepishly.

Brian relaxed a small bit as he realized Justin was standing beside him. If he truly wanted Justin to be his equal partner, he knew he had to allow the blond to make his own decisions and then accept the choices the younger man made. Brian was overwhelmed by the courage his young lover possessed under pressure.

“I know you, as I know myself. I love you; every part of you. Gus is one of the best parts of you. I love him, as I love you, so of course I want to help in any way I can. We will work this out, as we have everything else thrown at us. But first thing, we need to get him some supplies. He has a few days of clothes and diapers, but not much else,” Justin quantified as he organized a few things from the diaper bag, setting them out on the coffee table.

Brian fought the tears in his eyes, as he felt the warmth of Justin’s words wrap around his heart and extinguish his lingering doubts about full-time fatherhood.

Justin felt the brush of Brian’s lips against his cheek as he heard a whispered “I love you too.”

             -----------------------

With Lindsay’s house being ruled a crime scene, they wouldn’t be able to get anything for Gus from there anytime soon. So, after fastening Gus’ car seat to the back seat of the Jeep they decided to hit a few department stores for supplies. Even with the severity of Lindsay's situation hanging over their heads, Brian found the opportunity to shop for his son with his partner joyful. He finally had the freedom to dress his son in something besides the cutesy, vomit-worthy muncher gear he was usually dressed in. Justin advised against expensive, over-the-top, designer gear, opting instead for sturdy, stain-repellant garments. Brian agreed after Gus had a rather nasty diaper change that required a complete change of clothes and half a box of wipes to rectify. Justin set Brian loose on Gus’ toys and other baby gear. He knew his label queen partner would only want the best for his Sonny Boy.

Brian was comforted by the ease with which Gus took to being with them. Brian headed to the children’s furniture section, while Justin wheeled a shopping cart with Gus in it down an aisle containing toddler dinnerware. Justin was about halfway down the aisle when, all of a sudden, he was flung backwards as his hair was grabbed from behind.

Justin landed with a hard thud before looking up, just in time to see Michael’s foot about to slam into his face. Justin jerked to the left before Michael made contact, then came up with a swift punch to Michael’s groin. Michael fell to his knees, clutching his battered balls and squealing like a pig. The red-faced idiot tried to land a punch that Justin blocked before connecting his own punch to the idiot’s nose. Justin smiled at the satisfying crunch that echoed down the aisle. The he rushed to the shopping cart, grabbing Gus and his cell phone. He speed dialed Brian, as he moved to put the cart between him and the now-screaming Michael. Justin noticed an older woman staring at him, slack jawed, as he told Brian the aisle number and asked him to hurry. The sound of running footsteps was heard seconds later as Brian roared down the aisle. He grabbed Justin and Gus in his arms as he looked at Michael with a death glare.

The approaching security guards managed to get through the gathering crowd a moment later. Michael had blood pouring out his nose and was yelling for help. The heavy set guard asked, “what the hell is going on?”

Michael tried to say that Justin had attacked him for no reason. Justin countered that Michael attacked him first and he only acted to protect himself and his partner’s baby. A sharp intake of breath from the older lady drew Justin’s attention. She stared at Gus in disbelief.

Brian was distracted by the building rage in his gut. He was shaking with hatred for his former best friend. Justin placed a calming hand on Brian’s arm, then handed Gus to him. Brian deflated immediately, holding his son close to his heart. He pulled Justin close to his side before noticing the older woman still staring at them. Then Brian closed his eyes and hoped he hadn’t actually seen his mother staring at him while he was holding Gus and Justin. He hadn’t wanted to ever expose them to her hateful presence. But when he opened his eyes she was still there.

The female security guard asked if anyone in the crowd had seen the altercation. Joan Kinney raised her hand, still staring at her son holding what was no doubt his son. The security guards informed both Michael and Justin that they would be detained until the police arrived. Brian was about to start shouting when Justin replied it was fine, because he planned to press charges. Brian was on the phone with his lawyer before they were even done explaining the situation to the cops. Brian was no fool. He wanted the store’s video recording as evidence to get a restraining order against Michael. Three Kinney’s, a Taylor, and a bleeding Novotny were then escorted to the back of the store to await the cops and give their statements.

Joan Kinney was asked to give her statement first. Brian was shocked when she actually told the truth, indicating that Michael had in fact attacked Justin, who had only defended himself and the baby. After their statements, and a review of the security footage, Michael was arrested and hauled off to jail. He kept screaming Brian’s name as he was cuffed and stuffed into a police cruiser. The store manager rushed over to apologize for any inconvenience as he offered Brian a copy of the security tape. He said he was a father himself and would be beyond pissed if his wife and child had been attacked. Justin informed the man they just wanted to continue their shopping and go home.

Joan started to walk away, when she heard Brian call her name. Joan was surprised and looked at her son in the eye. “Thank you,” Brian said as he approached his mother. Joan looked from Brian to Justin, who was holding Gus. Justin smiled at the older woman who couldn’t help but give a small smile in return.

“You're welcome Brian. I’m glad I could finally help,” Joan said as she continued to look at Gus as if she was trying to memorize every detail about the boy.

Brian was dumbfounded. That was the closest thing to an apology for the past he would probably ever get. Brian looked at Justin’s inquisitive expression then decided he could offer a small olive branch.

“Justin, this is my mother, Joan Kinney. Mother, this my partner, Justin Taylor, and my son, Gus” Brian said warily, hoping his mother understood the one time offer she had been given.

Justin, in recognition of Brian’s gesture, smiled at his mother and held out his hand for Joan to shake. Joan slowly grasped Justin’s hand and said a simply hello. She knew if she messed this up she would never see her son or grandson again. Father Tom had been counseling her about letting God judge a man for his sins not his fellow man. She didn’t understand her son’s choices but apparently he didn’t understand hers either. So she was going to take this small gesture as the gift it was and keep her opinions to herself.

“You have a beautiful son, Brian. He looks just like you. Thank you for introducing me to your family,” Joan said as she smiled at Gus.

The baby smiled back and Joan felt her heart swell with love. The little charmer was so like her son. She felt her eyes prickle as Gus innocently reached a small hand out to her. She cautiously held out her hand to touch his, then looked to Brian for approval. He nodded his head, unable to form the words. Brian watched as the mother that never showed him an ounce of affection - at least not that he could remember - gently touched his son's hand.

Gus gave Joan a big toothy grin as he bounced in Justin’s arms, not understanding how his very presence had healed two shattered hearts. Brian sighed deeply as the emotions very nearly drowned him. Joan looked into the beautiful blue eyes of her son’s partner and saw the love shining through his tear filled eyes as he looked at Brian.

Then she lowered her hand from Gus’ and backed up a step. “I will cherish this gift you have given me, Brian. I will not ruin it by asking for more. I want you to know I have been sober for six months now and I’m in counseling. I have a lot to make amends for - more than I can probably accomplish in this life - but your beautiful family will be in my prayers. And I don’t mean because of the way you choose to live your life. I mean, as a mother and grandmother, I will be praying for the happiness and safety of my wonderful son, adorable grandson, and my son’s gracious partner. Justin, it was a pleasure to meet you. Oh, and one more thing before I go - those were impressive combat skills ,Justin.” Joan said as she smiled and turned to leave, her heart lighter than it had been in many, many years.

“Mrs. Kinney,” Justin called out to her while Brian stared at his mother incredulously. “Thank You. It was nice meeting you also,” the well mannered young man said as he smiled a megawatt, high-voltage smile.

Joan could certainly understand what Brian saw in this little blond fireball with the face of an angel.

Brian chuckled at his WASPy partner before looking back to his mother. “Mom, give me time to process some things . . I won’t promise anything, but I will let you know if I can help with those amends,” Brian said quietly before he started to walk away.

Joan gave a nod to acknowledge his words and a sweet smile to the family as they took their leave. Joan thought the lord really must work in mysterious ways. The biggest question plaguing her mind, though, was how could a love so beautiful be a sin. She hoped Father Tom could explain this one to her. She refused to forsake her family anymore in the name of anyone. If her soul be damned for loving her son, she would happily answer for it on judgement day. A bone deep understanding calmed her as she realized that, if the past treatment of her son had already damned her soul, then hopefully this small gesture of acceptance for her son’s family would at least soothe Brian’s battered one.

             -------------------

Brian and Justin decided to go ahead and finish shopping for Gus, who had nodded off on Justin’s shoulder. They had both calmed down after Michael’s attack and the emotional meeting with Joan. The bubbly blond prize fighter laid a sleeping Gus down atop a pile of clothing and bedding in the shopping cart. After ordering the children’s furniture they would need, the small family wandered over to the toy section.

Justin was touching a display of plushy animals while Brian chose some reading books. Justin was reaching for a toddler truck set when a small blond blur attached itself to his legs. Justin, who was still feeling skittish from his earlier prize fight, jumped back before he recognized his little sister. Molly clung to her brother’s legs, feeling like she hadn’t seen him in forever; forever being a week in little girl time. Justin looked around nervously because, if Molly was there, so was his mother.

“Hey Jus, what are you doing in the toy section? I’m looking for a present for my friend Lillian. She’s having a slumber party for her birthday this weekend. We get to have pizza and watch movies. Lillian said she was gonna teach me to wear make-up and walk in high heels. I remember when Daphne stayed at our house for a slumber party with you but Lillian said her mom won’t let boys stay over. I think Mrs. Henry is afraid we might kiss a boy. That is so stupid because boys are gross and smelly and no one would want to kiss one. Like yucky multiplied!” the ten-year-old tween rushed out so fast Brian was afraid her tongue was going to fall off. He chuckled as he wondered if little mini-Taylor was a muncher in training.

Justin was so shell shocked from his sister’s enthusiastic verbal assault his brain shut down and his eyes glazed over. Brian saw the look on Justin’s face and burst out laughing. Customers at the diner had the same look after a run in with Deb in the old days. As Justin’s brain was rebooting, Gus started to fuss in the cart. His brain on reboot autopilot, Justin picked up Gus from the cart and snuggled the baby to his chest. As he was bouncing the tantrum-starting toddler, Justin looked up to see his mother staring at him down the length of the aisle. Brian reached out to steady his partner, watching as the blood drained from his face. Justin’s already pale complexion went a scary ashy-grey color. Brian hurried to grab Gus as Justin started to sway, wrapping his free arm around Justin’s waist just in time.  

“Breathe Justin! Deep Breaths. Deep in, slow. Deep out, slow. Just keep taking deep breaths. That’s it. 1,2,3. 1,2,3. Calm down, Angel. I have you,” Brian murmured in his blond’s ear ignoring the inquisitive yet skeptical look on mini-Taylor’s face as well as Mother Taylor’s gobsmacked expression.

Justin’s color and balance began returning about the same time Jennifer Taylor’s face unfroze.

“Jus, is he a friend of yours?” Molly asked as she began to pick up on the sudden tension among the adults.

Justin looked at his little sister and wondered if this would be the last time he saw her until she turned 18. Because no way was their homophobic father going to let his daughter hang around a disgusting pervert once he found out his son was a fag.

Justin leans down to whisper in his sister’s ear. “Yeah, Mollusk, this is my best friend. Daphne understands because Brian is a different kind of friend than her. And just remember, I will always love you no matter what you hear about me.”

Justin choked up as he saw the confused look on his baby sister’s face. Molly Taylor might only be 10 but she wasn’t dumb. It seemed like her brother was saying goodbye to her and it just felt wrong. She looked at the distressed expression on her mother’s face and finally understood. Mom knew her brother’s secret.

Molly had heard Daphne and Justin saying he was gay when she was only eight. She had also heard Justin say their dad would hate him if dad found out and would kick him out their family. So she had never told anyone Jus’ secret. She loved her brother even if he wanted to kiss smelly boys. With tears in her eyes she looked at Justin’s friend and knew he was the one her brother kissed. He was holding a little boy in his arms like he would fight the world to keep him safe. The man also had his arm around her brother like Justin was his special love. She had seen the look on his face when he looked at her brother like Justin hung the moon. She had seen kissy love movies with that same look on the princess’ face when the prince rescues her from the evil witch.

“Is this your son?” Molly asked trying not to sob.

Brian tried very hard not to shout at Justin’s mother as he watched his lover’s little sister process the impending loss of her brother. “Yes, this is my son, Gus. My name is Brian,” he replied softly to the devastated girl.

Brian watched as Molly narrowed her eyes at her mother then turned back to ask loudly, “would you stop loving him because he was different? Would you hate him because he wasn’t what you meant for him to be? Are you going to kick him out of your life if he likes something you don’t?” Molly yelled as she turned angry eyes on her mother.  

Brian was amazed that a 10-year-old girl understood that you love your kids unconditionally, when it was obvious she hadn’t learned it at home. “I will love Gus no matter what he does, who he loves, or what he becomes. My love for my son is unconditional and everlasting,” Brian told the girl but directed the statement at Justin’s mother.

Brian sure as hell didn’t expect the reaction he got.

Jennifer Taylor had turned down the toy aisle in search of her runaway daughter. She had been shocked as hell when she found not only her daughter but her son and two additions. She watched as Justin started to panic. Before she could unfreeze her mouth, his companion wrapped a protective arm around her son’s shoulders. She watched Brian as he comforted and then calmed her son. The familiarity between the two was unmistakable. Meanwhile, the little boy reached out to touch Justin’s face as his daddy held him, as if to offer his own comfort to her son. Justin whispered something to Molly as Jennifer watched the loss of innocence bloom in her children’s eyes.

This was not how she would have liked her children to learn such harsh truths. The bold questions her stubborn daughter asked Brian were somehow the same questions she had been asking herself for 15 years. The answers were the easiest she had ever given. She did the only thing, as a mother, that she knew how to do. She listened as Brian answered her daughter but looked her in the eye as if to challenge her.

“Justin, I have known since you were five,” Jennifer stated with a big smile on her face as she watched her words shock the three dumbfounded people in front of her. “A mother always knows. I’ve only been waiting for you to tell me. I wasn’t going to push you out of the closet before you were ready. I wanted you to have a childhood for as long as you could, Honey,” she said as she placed a gentle hand on her beautiful son’s face.

Justin rapidly blinked at her while a huge smile bloomed across his face.

“I don’t know what to say, Mom. Or rather, I have so much to say that I can’t find the words. How did you know? What happens now? Does Dad know too?” Justin asked shakily, looking at his mother with so much hope it radiated off his body.

Jennifer chuckled softly before she answered. “Sweetheart, you hated sports, getting dirt on your hands, and playing with bugs. You loved prancing around in my high heels, playing Barbie’s with Daphne, and I heard you ask little Stevie Miller to marry you. That may all be a little stereotypical, but it was a clue I took to heart. So I watched you closely and educated myself to find out what to look for. As for what happens now, nothing changes. You are still my son. I love you very much. Life moves forward. I have a pretty clear picture of how your father will react; he is a homophobe and won’t accept you or this revelation. More likely than not, he will blame me for it. He has planned your future since birth while I have fought to give you your freedom. But I won’t give up my kids for anyone. So we may all be facing some big changes in the near future. For now, though, he can stay in the dark,” Jennifer promised.

Justin and Brian looked at each other and said together, “It’s only lying if they make you lie.”

Jennifer narrowed her eyes at Brian. He was definitely not a college student and looked to be quite older than her baby boy. He was handsome, with a worldly air, but also a vulnerability that made a person want to hug him. This man had clearly seen his fair share of the big bad world and it was written in his hazel eyes. He was what her Grandmother would have called a ‘rascal’ and he did have a certain amount of mischief in those deep depths. Meanwhile, he was holding his son like he did it often and holding her son like he knew his body well.

“First, while I respect the fact that Justin is an adult, he is still my little boy,” Jennifer commented, looking at Brian with an appraising stare. “Second, I expect to hear the story of you two . . . unless I’m mistaken and you two are not together?” Brian and Justin smiled knowingly at each other, belying that question. “Third, I demand to be allowed to hold that sweet baby. He is just too cute,” Jennifer declared as she reached for Gus, who looked up at her with wide eyes.

Gus looked at Brian, then Justin, and back at Jennifer, and then promptly screamed and lunged for Justin. Jennifer was so startled she dropped her purse. She looked at Justin with a baby cradled to his chest and felt all maternal. It was a beautiful sight. Brian rubbed his son’s back as Gus started to calm.

“Gus has had a few too many dramas today. He’ll probably be a little clingy for a few days. He also has a healthy sense of stranger danger; he doesn’t like a lot of people. So, as much as I am loving this visit, we probably need to get Gus home now. I’ll call you in a few days Mom,” Justin explained as he kissed his Mom and sister goodbye.

Jennifer watched as her son and his two additions walked away. She had a feeling this relationship was a lot more serious than she knew. She was worried about her son but, at the same time, she had to acknowledge that he really was a grown man. All she could do was be there for him if he needed her and be happy for him if he didn’t. The biggest worry was what to do about her lying, cheating, scumbag of a husband. It seemed like a good time to call her lawyer. Those pretty colorful pictures her private investigator took were about to pay off. The only reason she had stayed with the bastard this long was so Justin could finish college and she could make sure Molly’s college fund was paid into.

Now that there was no longer any reason to stick around, Jennifer was going to take Craig’s ass to the cleaners. She was still owed the money from the loan he took out against her trust fund to start his business. She wondered how he’d like the prospect of being bankrupt and homeless? As she contemplated that possibility, Jennifer let out a very unladylike cackle, which had her daughter eyeing her curiously.

Molly had a feeling her Dad was about to learn his own hard truths. Molly did love her Dad but she had to wonder, if she did something he didn’t like, would he kick her out the family too? That was not a happy picture for a little girl.

Brian and Justin had finally finished getting all of Gus’s baby crap and were loading it into the back of the Jeep. The furniture and larger things would be delivered later that day. Brian was settling Gus into his car seat when he heard the unmistakable screech of a pissed off Debbie Novotny from across the parking lot. What the hell was with today? Was it some kind of fucked up Mother’s Day reunion?

Brian hit his head on the car door in his haste to make a clean getaway but Debbie’s rotund self was bearing down on them faster than they could load the Jeep. Brian looked at Justin, throwing stuff in the back of the jeep as fast as he could. Justin’s back and arm were throbbing from the fight with Michael and now some crazy woman was screaming profanities at them for no reason. Justin looked at Brian holding his knocked noggin and tried to speed up. He got the last bag in and the trunk shut just as the loud mouthed harridan reached them.

Brian was so not in the mood for this shit. His head was pounding, his nerves were fried, and his son was crying in the car. Debbie needed to fuck off or else. He was not about to let her scream him to death or scare his son. Brian took a fortifying breath and prepared for battle.

“What the fuck did you do to my son, asshole? Michael has never been anything but good to you. You’re always getting him in trouble and leading him on. You couldn’t stand to see him happy with David; you just had to call him and beg him to come home. I have never met a more selfish prick in my life. You used my family and now you want to just fucking throw us away? Well guess what, asshole? You don’t get to fuck us over. You owe us and I am gonna fucking collect. I patched your sorry whoring ass up when your drunk of a father beat you bloody. I held you when you cried because your own frigid mother couldn’t stand the sight of you. I took food out my own kid’s mouth to put in yours when your good Catholic mother was too drunk to feed your ass. Now, after everything we did for you, you want to act like you're too good for us? Fuck that, asshole! You owe me and I want my due!” Debbie yelled in Brian’s face as she backed him into the door of the Jeep, glaring daggers at him and shoving one red dagger-nail in his face.

Brian was so shocked he didn’t know whether to scream, punch, cry, or just remain silent. He had never felt so humiliated in his life. This was a woman that had supposedly loved him. He had given everything he could to her family, except his fucking soul. He had provided protection for Michael from bullies that had threatened when they were growing up. He had given thousands of dollars to help out with Debbie’s fucking mortgage and her dying brother’s medications. He had held Michael’s hand through life for 15 years in the hope he would learn to walk on his own. Now he was being demoted from family to being merely a selfish, ungrateful, whore that owes a Novotny life debt.

“What exactly is it you think I owe you, Deb? What will finally be enough to pay this fucking debt so I can get on with my life? I have heard for 15 years how much I fucking owe you. I have paid blood, sweat, tears, money, and my sanity towards that fucking debt. How much more do you think I owe?” Brian asked as he finally realized the people he thought of as family where just as abusive as his birth parents. What kind of person takes a severely physically and emotionally abused kid and makes him become the pseudo father of another kid the same age? Debbie was worse than Joan; she showed Brian kindness but only if he agreed to pay her price. If he refused, she would throw him back to the wolves.

Brian remembered the time Michael had stolen Deb’s bill money for comic book shit. He had blamed Brian and, as a result, Brian got banned from their house for a month until he paid it back. He’d ended up with a broken wrist, a black eye, and four bruised ribs thanks to Debbie telling Jack Brian was a thief. Michael finally confessed two months later, but it was all swept under the rug, even though Michael had said he did it because Brian was going to college without him. Brian had almost lost his soccer scholarship. He’d played injured just to get the fuck away from them all and left for college before Deb’s month was up. It had been almost two years before he came back home. But every kid needs a place to call home even if it was a shitty home.

“You need to find Michael and beg his forgiveness,” Deb ordered, still ranting at him. “You need to help him fix his life. He always does what you say, so help him. It's time you grow up and settle down; enough with the tricks and clubs. Michael has been waiting for you for 15 years and you know you won’t find a better husband than my Michael. But I won’t let you fuck him over. We deserve to have nice things like you have. So I want his half of the money up front, that way I can be sure, if you fall for some trick, my kid won’t be left penniless when he has to leave you because of your whoring! We helped you survive till you went away to that fancy college and got that high paying job. Now we want our cut of the pie. We fucking earned it, putting up with your shit all these years,” Debbie finished with an ear piercing screech.

Debbie crossed her arms over her chest and waited for the asshole to accept his fate like a good little whipped fag. She was tired of schlepping food for horny queers and skanky hustlers. She planned to move into a new house with Michael and Brian after they married. Brian made plenty of money; he could easily support them in a new lifestyle.

“I think a month should be enough time to plan the wedding. Now, we’ll go find Michael and you can propose,” Debbie finished before attempting to climb in the jeep.

For the first time in years Brian Kinney, advertising genius, could not think of a single word to say. Brian looked over at his partner and was actually terrified. Justin Fucking Taylor was about to introduce himself to Debbie Loud-Mouth Novotny. And Justin had a murderous look in his eyes. If Deb had looked at Justin, her wig would have caught on fire from the pure hot hatred coming out his boy’s eyes. Brian had never seen an actual human version of an avenging angel before.

Justin had his cell phone propped against the roll bar of the Jeep. Brian watched in traffic-wreck rubbernecking-style fascination as Justin rounded the back of the Jeep. He moved like a determined cheetah sneaking up on his prey. Brian blocked Debbie’s attempt to get in the jeep. That crazy bitch wasn’t getting near his Sonny Boy. Debbie let out a frustrated growl when Brian wouldn’t move. At the same time, Brian caught a small movement out of the corner of his eye and recognized a pissed off little fag hag sneaking up behind Debbie. Daphne had one hand behind her back and a very devilish gleam in her eyes.

It looked like Justin had called in reinforcements.

Justin couldn’t believe all the shit this old fat bitch had said to Brian. But It turned out this crazy bitch was Michael’s mother, which sure explained a lot. No wonder Michael was a complete fucking nut. It sounded like the whole bunch was bat shit crazy. The horrible shit just kept coming out her hooker-red lips.

Justin quietly called Daphne and told her to bring the arsenal. Thank God she lived so close to the mall. Justin saw her car park nearby and her curly brown hair bobbing between the parked cars. His little ninja worked her way behind the old bitch. He readied his camera phone and snuck around Debbie’s right side. He listened to her insane plan to marry Brian off to Michael in order to get his money and saw red. He nodded at Daphne to get in position, thinking this could go either way. The main goal was to get Debbie away from Brian and the door of the Jeep, with Brian and Gus inside and the door then closed.

When Justin was ten feet from the delusional, rotund waitress, he started his tirade. “What the fuck are you doing? Get the hell away from him you crazy old bitch. Take your drag queen-looking ass back to the cesspool Diner and shut the fuck up!” Justin yelled as he stared down his enemy.

Debbie was so startled it took her a minute to realize the little blond twink was yelling at her. When she rounded on him, red faced and hissing like a scalded cat, the nervy little shit actually stepped up to her. Brian was staring at his pissed off Angel. Fuck, if that man didn’t look hot? nothing ever would. Justin looked ready to take Debbie’s head off, wig included.

“Fuck off you little shit this is none of your fucking business,” Debbie shouted in an attempt to intimidate the ferocious little blond Chihuahua.

“Listen here, bitch! Everything to do with Brian is my business. He will not be marrying that useless, dickless, whinny asshole of a son you spawned. He will not be giving you or fucktard Jr a damn dime in this lifetime. He will never fuck that emotionally stunted, butt-fuck-ugly moron you squatted out your old dried up hole. And you won’t be seeing your bouncing baby pile of pig shit for quite awhile, either, because I had his ass arrested for assault, among other things, three hours ago. I will also be using every connection my country club parents have to make sure his ass does time bending over for Bubba in the city jail. And just in case you’re wondering, the main reason Brian is never going to deal with your fucking trashy asses again, is because of me. And who am I? I am Justin Fucking Taylor-Kinney. Brian is my best friend, my lover, my partner in all we do, and my fucking husband. Now, get the fuck away from my family you loudmouth, bat shit crazy, fat bitch!” Justin screamed as Debbie roared back, raising her hand to slap that little twink off his smug high horse.

While the roaring rhino was headed after Justin, Daphne was able to finally get Brian’s attention off his pit bull partner and get him in the Jeep. Debbie was too busy stomping around and trying to get a swing at Justin to notice. Justin, meanwhile, continued to taunt Debbie.

“It’s called exercise use it,” Justin mocked her. “Too many donuts, not enough vegetables.” “You have 300 lbs. and 60 years on that tired old ass. Time for a new model.” “I took 6 years of dance and I fuck your son’s never gonna be husband six times a day, I can do this all night.” “My name is on your retirement plan’s bank account and don’t that just tickle you to death.” “Couldn’t you teach your son how to give a decent blow job. Rumor has it he is the worst lay on Liberty Ave. I bet he takes after his mother.” “I bet you haven’t been fucked since Roosevelt was in office.”

Debbie was breathing hard and foaming at the mouth. She was dripping with sweat and her wig was about to fall off. Her mascara was caked to her eyes and running down her face. Justin just needed her to move five more feet his way and - bam - they’d have her. Luckily, he'd saved one final insult to get her to charge him.

Justin yelled at the top of his lungs, “did getting knocked up by a drag queen cause you to give birth to a fucking retarded, needle dick, who’s the most useless cocksucker on the planet, or was it your fag wanna-be fat ass that made your kid a damn drama queen mama’s boy?”

Debbie roared like the hounds of hell resided in her vagina.

She lunged at Justin just as he screamed, “now!”

Justin snatched off Debbie’s prized red wig and Daphne let loose on her with a fire extinguisher. Then Daphne ran to her car and took off for the loft. Justin grabbed his phone, jumped in the passenger side door, and told Brian to, “get the fuck out of here”.

Brian was so shocked he just reacted. He pulled out of the parking space and pressed the gas. He looked at his little devil with the angel face and vowed never to piss in his cheerios. Justin looked in the back seat and found Gus sound asleep in his car seat. He loved that kid; Gus was a real trooper. Brian thought of the last sight he’d had of Debbie, wigless, spitting, cursing and covered in a white cloud. He let out a bit of hysterical laughter.  

“How the fuck did you and the sneaky ninja-girl manage that . . . whatever it was back there? I don’t think I have ever heard such descriptively foul language in my life. You sure do have a way with words. And here I thought I was the advertising genius in the family. I will definitely cherish the memory of Debbie finally getting told off and being able to do fuck all about it. But I think my favorite part was when you told her you were my husband. She looked like she was going to swallow her tongue. Taylor-Kinney does have a nice ring to it.” Brian smirked as he watched the blush bloom across his Angel's neck, thinking how, one minute Justin was a blushing angel the next he turned into foul mouthed devil, deciding you had  to love some variety in life.

“We pulled a similar thing on a bully that was harassing Daphne in 7th grade. He left her alone after that. That powder shit is sticky, itchy, and smelly. Debbie will be out of commission for a few days. She had no right to talk to you like she did, Brian. She’s just a demented, bitter old bitch that hates her life and her cretin son. I hope you know how much Gus and I love you. We not only need you but we want you in our lives. Besides, I am your partner you have to listen to me; I have the papers to prove it,” Justin said with a big smile.

“The Novotny's have never seen reality when it comes to me, I’m afraid,” Brian explained. “Debbie sees a rich whore she can use to control her witless son. Michael sees a sexy stud with no life goals but fucking, who he can tame and own like a damn action figure for his collection. Somehow, though, I really never thought Debbie was that hateful and manipulative. I may have used their house as a safe haven from Jack’s beatings, but I never asked for a fucking thing that wasn’t offered first. I wonder if she really thought I was going to bust my ass in college and work like a dog at my career just to settle for a simpleton like Michael and then support them all until I die? Not in a million damn years. The mirror into the fairy tale world is broken. It’s time for us to get on with our lives, and that doesn’t include them,” Brian concluded as he tried to bury the pain of finally losing the man he had thought of as a brother and the woman he had loved like a mother.

Justin closed his hand around Brian’s thigh. Sometimes there are no words to ease the hurts we feel. Justin was grateful to still have his mother and sister and to now be out in their presence. He knew the loss of his father was coming but he couldn’t stop that hurt from coming too.

-------------------------------

Brian and Justin met Daphne back at the loft. The rapidly blinking light on the answering machine drew attention to the many dramas of the day. Brian ordered take out while the pranksters organized all his son’s new crap. The loft wasn’t exactly baby proof, so Gus stayed corralled in his new play pen with a few toys while his dad moved the breakables and covered the outlets. The furniture arrival caused a few changes to Brian’s expensive Italian furniture placement. They made a temporary room for Gus against the back wall until a more permanent solution could be made. Justin threw out a few suggestions while they ate their take out dinner. They decided to move the main living area down to the bottom loft and use the upper loft as a work space. The bottom loft had bedrooms and a new kitchen. Brian didn’t really mind the changes, having a space for Gus was more important than his former fuck pad configuration.

They had all been eyeing the answering machine for the last few hours. Daphne finally hit the play button as Brian snorted his approval. They hadn’t told anyone about Lindsay’s arrest, preferring to keep it private. But, as with all things gay or muncher on Liberty Ave, the news had already spread like a bad case of herpes. There were calls from Emmett, Ted, and Cynthia. Ted informed Brian about Lindsay and Mel hoping he had Gus. He advised that Mel was stable, mostly just cut up, hungover, and pissed. She was, however, calling for Lindsay’s head and Brian’s balls. Emmett gossiped about Michael attacking a man with a baby at a department store and getting locked up. Cynthia had called to inform Brian that a crazy Debbie Novotny was threatening anyone with ears that some little blond twink was on her shit list and had been demanding Brian’s cell number when she was hung up on. After Daphne left, the men readied their little charge for bed and then took a much needed, extended shower. The two tuckered out lovers drifted off to sleep, relaxed and ready for whatever hell the next day would bring.

—————————

Brian awoke to the happy laughter of his son. He smiled when he heard Justin gag in reaction to the state of Sonny Boy’s diaper. He cracked an eyelid open when he felt his little morning monster bouncing on his chest and a giggling blond holding him steady in his endeavors.

“Good morning, Daddy! It's time to get up! Justin has to get to class before he is late. Justin also made coffee so you wouldn’t be cranky. He will be home in a few hours; he has some more boxes he is picking up at the dorm,” Justin spoke, using a falsetto voice from behind Gus’s smiling face.

Brian got up to kiss his blond goodbye and to care for his son. “Be careful out there; we have quite a few people gunning for us these days. Keep your cell handy and your keys on you at all times. Love you,” Brian said before his bouncy blond left.

Justin handed in the final art projects of his college career with a light heart. Only two more written finals and he would finished with school altogether. The Ryder internship was finished as of Friday and then he could concentrate on his finals and his family.

Justin was humming as he loaded his last box from the dorm and was released after a final walk through. He now officially lived in the loft with his partner and their munchkin. He liked being able to claim Gus as his. He and Brian were equal partners, so it made sense that they shared Gus too. He would miss the baby when Gus eventually went back to his mother.  

Mel had been trying to get the DA to charge Lindsay with attempted murder. Lindsay’s claim of self-defense was hindered by the fact she’d had a prior arrest for simple assault in college. Mel’s elevated blood alcohol level did detract from her image as the wronged merry muncher. Mel claimed she had been trying to stop Lindsay from taking their son on an outing where she was having an illicit affair. Lindsay claimed Mel was a violent drunk that tried to separate her from her child by force. She said she had feared for her own and Gus’ safety around a drunken Mel. When asked his opinion, Brian simply stated his only concern was Gus.

Mel had also demanded Gus be returned to her care. Brian reminded her she was not Gus’s legal parent and would never be allowed near his child again. He really believed that Lindsay only pushed Mel to protect Gus, but he was respecting her request to stay out of it. They had all seen Mel drunk and it wasn’t pretty.

In the end, Lindsay pleaded guilty to simple battery and was sentenced to time served. She was afraid to risk a trial and the possibility of up to a year in jail.

Upon her release, Lindsay moved into her parents’ house while the munchers divided up their assets. When Lindsay approached Brian about going on an extended European vacation with a friend, he was dead set against it. No way was his son leaving the country for six months to a year. Lindsay sheepishly corrected that she wasn’t requesting he allow her to bring Gus, but was ask them to keep him for the foreseeable future. She admitted she selfishly wanted some time to process and heal from the ordeal of her breakup. Brian quickly agreed, saying he was ready to care for Gus full time as was Justin.

Lindsay signed over primary custody to Brian and Justin, retaining only visitation rights. Brian reassured a tearful Lindsay that part of being a good mother was knowing when to step back and take time for herself. A stressed out Mom was no good to anyone. Lindsay left for Europe secure in the knowledge that Brian and Justin would care for and love Gus in her absence.

Mel found out Lindsay gave her parental rights to Brian and Justin from a colleague at the county clerk’s office about a week after Lindsay left. She stewed for two days before she broke down and called Brian. She wanted Gus to come home and be with his other mother, not an aging club boy, who she thought was high and drunk all the time, nor his Twinkie houseboy. Brian calmly handed the phone to Justin before telling him to ‘fire extinguisher’ her ass. Justin proceeded to tell Mel that, if she harassed his husband or his son in any way, he would report her to the state Bar. He also informed her that Gus was never legally her son and any moral obligation they had to let her near their son ended the day she got drunk and attempted to harm their child. She was further advised that Gus was happy living in their two parent family home. He closed out the discussion by stating bluntly, if Mel wanted a baby, she should have her own because she wasn’t getting theirs or their sperm to make a new one. He then added, she should fuck off back to her muncher rock, before he hung up, leaving Mel with the dial tone sounding loudly in her ear.

Mel quickly realized her past criticism of Brian as a father had made him completely unwilling to share his son with her. She did love Gus but had to admit she was glad to be free of the Brian Kinney ghost that had hung over her whole relationship with Lindsay. And she scheduled an appointment with her lady doctor for the following week just to see if she had options.