- Text Size +

In His Defense:  Father Figure


Justin’s last two finals were graded and posted before he realized he was floating through his day. He was finished with his college life and was ready to move on to his adult future. He was avoiding calls from his father, knowing what the man wanted. Craig felt it was not only his fatherly duty, but his God given right, to lecture his son on his life choices. Craig had planned to mold Justin into his image; businessman with profitable ventures, compliant trophy wife, obedient children, posh house and flash car, all to reflect his status as an enviable man to those lower on the social scale. He’d wanted a fine strapping heterosexual son to carry on the family name. The differences in Craig’s plans and Justin’s reality were his spouse’s gender and he didn’t want an obedient lap dog for a bed mate. Justin should introduce his father to Michael, they were a dickless pair made in hell. He also wanted to encourage Gus’ dreams anyway he could, not steal them.

Graduation was the next week and Kinnetik and Taylored Designs would be opening at the beginning of the year. Brian had decided to push back the launch date for a few reasons. Most of his current clients’ contracts at Ryder expired by the New Year. He’d given Ryder his notice in the middle of November. He would finish up the Christmas season campaigns by December first, but not before copying and then purging his work computer files. Marty Ryder had profited from his talents long enough. Brian wanted to get the staffing and offices set up before Christmas in preparation for opening the new agency. The loft renovations were complete and he wanted them to make decorating decisions together. Brian also just wanted to spend some quality time with his family before they were up to their shapely asses in work. Gus would be attending daycare in the employee facility so his fathers could be close by.

Brian had also planned a small graduation party for Justin at the loft. Brian had quite a few surprises for his angel up his sleeve. Emmett would cater of course and, along with Ted, act as his minions. The guest list was small, only immediate family and a few close friends and colleagues. Brian called his mother and invited her to Justin’s party. He explained the attendees and nature of the party before he allowed her to accept or decline. He even offered an alternative of visiting at Christmas if the party sounded like more than she could handle. She accepted the invitation without reservation and said she would be delighted to participate any way she was allowed. She asked for a gift suggestion and attire requirements. Brian said he would include all relevant information in the official invitation, making sure to include a gift card to a local dress boutique he knew she liked. He was willing to offer his mother a chance to change; his forgiveness was a hard gift to give but he also knew acceptance of his life was even harder for her. He invited her to take baby steps with him towards healing their shattered relationship.

           ----------------------------------------------------------

Brian was surprised at how easily the Novotny’s were removed from his life. Any fond memories of his years with them had been tainted by their recent actions and revelations. Michael was due for trial the following month on charges of aggravated assault, endangering a child, stalking, harassment and trespassing. Justin had wondered how Michael had found him that day at a children’s department store he had never been to or had reason to go to prior to three hours earlier when they got Gus. They realized Michael had been following Justin for some time. Justin was able to get security footage going back three months showing Michael hiding in the bushes outside his dorm. The loft footage showed Michael standing in the shadows across the street. Michael was denied bail at his arraignment after he threatened to remove that ‘no good twink’ from his man’s life.

At the trial, the judge ordered a psych evaluation after the fucktard said he needed to be released to attend his baby boy’s Christmas. Justin asked the judge for a restraining order against both Novotny’s because he felt scared for their son, pointing out that Michael had no children. Brian showed the judge their custody agreement with Lindsay, and if a very adorable picture of Gus was attached to the document it was only coincidental. If Justin showed the video from his camera phone of Debbie raving at Brian like a lunatic, conveniently edited to delete the fire extinguisher taunt-o-rama, who was to care if it kept a lunatic away from their family.

The judge’s final orders barred either Novotny from any physical or electronic contact with any of them for five years. If either Novotny harassed them at home, work, or in public places, they would get busted. Brian gave Michael three days after he served his time before he violated the restrictions. Debbie would rather lick her own asshole than admit she was wrong for coming after them in the parking lot.

Emmett and Ted no longer talked to either of the Novotny's. Ted had been humiliated when he brought a business associate to the Diner for a quick lunch before a meeting when Deb asked his associate if preparation for drilling Ted’s ass was an all-day chore since Ted was so anal his ass was permanently clenched closed. Ted had promptly stood up, asked his friend to wait outside, and dumped a nearby bowl of oatmeal on Debbie’s head, before walking out. Emmett had been pushed one glamorous pink inch too far and taken a revenge that made the rest of the gang shiver. After a well fucked gentleman caller asked Emmylou why his mother was sitting on the bed watching them fuck, Sweet Southern Emmylou threw a flaming queen out so fierce it was later referred to as “The Night the Shit Went Down in Pittsburgh”. That southern boy was heard cursing a blue streak five blocks away. He immediately called Justin for back up and then proceeded to pack every sparkle he owned while Debbie hid in the downstairs broom closet for three hours. Then the little angel with the devilish mind informed Emmett and Michael’s old landlord that unemployed Michael would not be able to pay rent from jail after being convicted of assaulting Brian Kinney’s husband and their eighteen-month old son in a crowded department store. If the little devil-minded angel also let it slip that those useless toys left unattended in the apartment while he and Em searched for furniture were worth real money - not play money - how was he to blame when the shit later came up missing? And after packing up Michael’s remaining property, if they dropped the crap on Deb’s front lawn and left it there expecting his loving mother to retrieve it, how could they have predicted it would storm?  

A sneaky Prada-wearing burglar dressed in black, kidnapped Deb’s entire garden gnome collection and super glued them in sexual positions, before staking them to her front lawn and adding some of her son’s favorite sex toys, which the sneaky burglar’s minions forgot to discard, thus creating the world’s largest gay gnome orgy. If the city fined Mrs. Novotny two hundred bucks for public indecency and causing a traffic jam, that was just a bonus. If Mrs. Novotny was now known in the neighborhood as ‘The Orgy Lady’, well that was Christmas. And, if Mrs. Novotny now found every kind of doll, figurine, and bendable animal toy known to man fucking on her lawn every morning, Brian would just say Happy Fucking New Year. The bitch always loved tacky fucking knickknacks anyway. If his angel drew pictures of gnomes fucking and sneakily stuck them to the Diner doors on days Deb was working, Brian figured tough shit; anyone who had ever met him knew you don’t fuck with what was his.

          ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Justin’s graduation party was scheduled for the Friday night before the Saturday afternoon ceremony. Jennifer and Molly told Craig they were going to a mother-daughter tea dance to explain their absence and fancy clothing. Justin was glowing as he walked around the loft looking over the feast and decorations. Brian was glowing with pride over his angel graduating with honors and was vibrating with excited anticipation over the night’s surprises. Gus was toddle-running around the lower floor trying to catch his ball that had rolled away when he accidentally kicked it before he could grab it. Gus had taken a long, late nap in preparation for the festive night ahead. Justin was a walking wet dream in his fitted, black Zegna suit. Brian was an orgasm on two feet in black monochrome Armani. Gus was adorable in his sweater and slacks set, although he was wearing Prada baby shoes.  

As the Guests started to arrive, Brian confirmed with each minion that their part of the night’s festivities were ready to go. With the latish arrival of Brian’s lawyer, the game pieces were set and it was time to move them around the board. Brian was going with a smaller-to- biggest as hell approach to the surprise line up.  Jennifer was the first player. She told a few heartwarming and embarrassing stories from Justin’s childhood and read him a beautiful poem her father wrote for him the night his grandson was born. Afterwards, the ladies took a quick break to repair makeup, as not many had a dry eye at the poem’s beautiful conclusion. Faces fixed, Jennifer hit play on a montage of Justin’s photos from birth to the present, including some with Brian and Gus. Brian was touched that she’d included him and Gus like they were family. Brian could see them later including another child with blond locks and baby blues in their lives. Gus needed a sibling to grow up with. He would file that thought away for later. Later, he would also  steal that dvd and beg a copy of Justin’s poem for Gus.

Daphne was up next. She gave all the naughty dirt on her bestie. Justin was blushing so fiercely Brian had to hand him a cold water. She told how Justin was a perfect Prom date - a little too perfect, she cackled - fixing Brian’s angel with a downright filthy leer. Once she was done eye fucking Brian’s man, she held out her hand and pulls Justin to the center of the floor. The music started but Daphne yelled to turn it off. Justin was a little shocked at her determined face. She quietly told a silent room that a beautiful boy she once knew never got to dance with an equally beautiful boy at his Prom. Her beautiful boy was hurt that night and he disappeared for a few years, but the beautiful boy grew up to be a soul-deep, beautiful man. Justin smiled his beautiful smile for the first time again after he met an equally beautiful man. Daphne would like to invite the other half of her beautiful boy’s heart to take her place and give Justin a belated Prom dance. She would be forever grateful if Brian would replace her biggest regret with a beautiful new memory. She finished with tears in her lovely eyes. Justin looked like he is on the verge of sobbing too, so Brian was grateful when Emmett moved like he was gonna waltz away with the host’s tiny dancer. Brian growled at Honeycutt and smiled with satisfaction when his protectiveness caused Emmett a full body shudder. After which, the tension was broken and replaced by the jovial mood Brian wanted for this special night.

Brian pulled his angel into his arms and whispered in his ear, “let’s make this ridiculously romantic, my love”.

Daphne announced she’d picked this song for them and that it was now Brian and Justin’s official song. The first notes of the Drifters’, ‘Save the Last Dance for Me’, filled the loft with a mellow feel. Brian didn’t notice the lights dim. The two men started to sway, barely touching, but together. They looked deep in each other’s eyes as they moved around the now mostly clear floor. They knew they were smiling real cheesily at each other, but  couldn’t help it. Brian’s heart belonged to Justin from the day they met.

Brian suddenly spun Justin around with his finger barely enough to hold onto. Justin couldn’t help the laugh that escaped when the larger man pulled him back against his body. They swayed their hips before waltzing into another finger assisted twirl. Justin unbuttoned Brian’s jacket, pulled it off his shoulders, and temporally trapped Brian’s hands. Brian gave his angel a sweet laugh, then Justin threw the jacket to Daphne. Justin smiled at the joy on his best friend’s face. Brian cocked an eyebrow at him, sexy like he know Justin liked. Brian finger spun Justin around the floor, then pulled the boy’s body flush against his. He leaned Justin backwards into a dip as the younger man brought his leg up to wrap around his waist. Then Brian pulled Justin up slowly, swinging his dance partner around, Justin’s feet not touching the floor. As Justin slid down Brian’s body till his feet touched the floor, they grabbed each other in a deep, dirty kiss, that didn’t stop till Gus threw his plastic truck upside Ted’s head.

Ted’s, “ouch, shit, that hurt,” brought the couple’s raging lust to a raging halt.

They both lifted an eyebrow at the dependable accountant’s momentary glare at the tiny terror. Ted fidgeted and actually attempted to pat Gus’ head. Gus wasn’t having his doo mussed up, though, and he grabbed Ted’s hand, clamping those sharp baby teeth down on meaty finger flesh. Ted screamed, jerked his hand back, scared Gus into falling over, after which silence fell over the loft once again. Nobody dared move so as not to spook the baby. Gus’ little lip wobbled, then an ear piercing wail came out of their son that sounded like his heart was breaking. Brian glared at his trusty numbers man, ready to sell off his stock. Ted shrunk from Brian’s pissed off, Daddy-will-kill glare. Most of the crowd rushed forward to assist the wailing boy. Gus freaked the hell out and the wailing became shrieking. Gus spied his hero, reached his arms out, and screeched ‘Dada’ repeatedly until he was picked up and snuggled. And that is how it came to be that Brian’s only child called Justin ‘Dada’ before his own sperm donor. Brian didn’t know if he wanted to explode in a jealous rage or cry at the special bonding moment between his two favorite boys.

Justin eyed Brian warily as his face softened into his ‘I’m an emotional basket case but try to hide I have a heart’ expression. Gus was nuzzled into the side of Justin’s neck, so it was not like Brian could blame him; that was one of his favorite places too. Justin whispered to Brian that Gus loved Brian first and will always love him more. Brian always liked to hear that his son loved him. Brian whispered to Justin that he better get the first full ‘Daddy’ or he was going to make another kid with Justin’s dna just to hear ‘Daddy’ first. Justin was a little blown away by that rocket fuel packed statement.

So Justin lite the fuse. “So, are you saying you would want to raise another child - my biological child to share - and that we would raise together? I don’t want other parents only us,” Justin asked.  

Brian grined at the gerbils scurrying in his blond’s head. “Yes. I want another child, but not for at least another year or two. And I want you to donate. We will be the only parents, Gus will have a sibling, and we will raise our kids in a house full of love,” Brian answered.

Justin surged up to Brian’s lips and gave him a kiss that threatened to start a forest fire in the newly renovated loft.

Brian pulled back from his hot attack blond with a chuckle. “Whoa! Down boy. We’re not alone and both of our mothers are in the room.” Brian looks at his blond angel and noted the love reflected in those bright blue eyes. “Is it too sappy to say out loud that I can see my future in your eyes?” Brian murmured as he claimed those luscious cherry lips.

Justin’s emotions were all over the place. How could this man say things like that and expect him to hold it together? Justin hiccupped a few times trying to calm himself and his twitterpated heart.

Justin and Brian heard a multi-voiced, “Aww,” and a few deep sighs. They looked beside them to the starry eyed voyeurs, Daphne, Emmett, and Molly. Brian hoped to leave nosy gossips for another time so he sternly nodded to Emmett. The party planning minion clinked a glass to grab the attention of the collective. Emmett announced it was time to gather in the living room for presents, then coffee and dessert.

Brian pulled Justin down to sit next to him. Brian was about ready to jump out of his skin. He really wanted this but what if Justin didn’t? He hoped he was making the right decision. He nodded to Ted to start off the ass kissing so he can get to kissing some real ass.

“Justin, when I graduated college my Uncle, the only man in my family that ever accepted me, gave me a new calculator. He said people may fail you but numbers never will. Life may not always give you the right answers but math, while infinite, always has an answer. So I am giving you a new calculator with the hope you will find the answers when you need them,” Ted explained as he handed Justin a simple calculator with his name engraved on it. Justin smiled at Ted and whispered thank you. Ted nodded then nudged Emmett.

Emmett, already emotional, handed Justin a plain notebook. “My great Aunt Lula gave me a notebook like this when I left Hazlehurst. She had written five of her favorite recipes in it and told me to add more as I learned, grew, and loved in my new life. I have many notebooks now but the one she gave me is still my favorite. So I wrote her five, my five and left room for you to learn, grow, and love as you add your own.” Emmett sniffled into his lace hanky. Justin hugged the noisy queen in thanks.

Daphne took a deep breath as she handed Justin a small photo album. “I made two of these. Pictures of our past with room for future additions. They won’t always be identical but we will always be a part of each other. No matter where we go or where we end up, we will always find each other. So, while you have your life in front of you, I will leave soon to find mine. But we will always have these little albums of memories to remind us to remember the start,” Daphne said through quiet tears.

Justin stood and wrapped his arms around his very first best friend. “I hope you find your future but don’t forget to enjoy the journey,” Justin whispered as he let her go and damned if it didn’t feel like he was letting her go in a deeper sense. Justin was trying so hard to control his emotions. He felt Brian squeeze his leg and he calmed some.

Jennifer sat carefully on the table in front of her son and looked into the eyes of her baby. She was holding something in her hands but kept them folded in her lap for a moment. “My father was the greatest man I have ever known. He worked himself to an early death, sacrificing his very life to give me my heart’s desire. I can never repay that debt and he would never have allowed me to. He worked overtime for two years straight to save the money I needed for four operations to fix my body after a horrible car accident when I was fifteen so that I could have children when I grew up. Our insurance didn’t cover any of the procedures I needed back then. I didn’t know the extent of the damage when I was younger. I only found out after I married Craig that, without those operations, you and Molly would not exist. That overtime weakened my father’s heart when he worked while he had pneumonia. The result was that he died of a heart attack when you were only six months old. He lived just long enough to hold the future in his arms and see what his sacrifice was worth. He wasn’t a wealthy man, but he left you this before he died. He wore this watch everyday for forty years. I have held onto this for you for almost twenty years. The inscription was added a week before he died.” Jennifer paused to hand her son the only thing her father had to give to his only grandson.

Justin held the watch in his hands, feeling the warmth from his mother’s hold. He turned the watch over and the honest words inscribed there read, “Justin, live every moment because time waits for no man, but remember to follow you heart as well. Grandpa.” Justin clutched the battered old watch given to him from the greatest man he never met but he owed his very life to. He buried his face in Brian’s chest and sobbed till he was red eyed and snotty. Emmett hurriedly handed Brian tissues to avoid snot on his Armani.

Jennifer smiled at her son wrapped in Brian’s arms. He was where he was supposed to be. Brian had come to her to beg her permission and acceptance for his plans for their future. She only had to look in both men’s eyes to know her choice was correct. Jennifer moved to a nearby chair but took the time to whisper to Molly she would get her story when the girl was older. Molly nodded at her mother in understanding. She knew something big was about to happen.

Joan Kinney had observed her son and this young man for many hours now. She didn’t know what had made her son a homosexual - biology, environment, or maybe it was just God’s plan for him. She fully believed he was exactly who he was supposed to be and with a person made just for him. Justin was the reward her son had earned for enduring the hell that was his childhood. She was ready to move heaven and earth to help Brian keep him. She caught Brian’s eye and received a nod in return. Taking a deep breath Joan stepped forward.

“Justin, I have three things to give to you,” Joan announced as the young man looked at her with complete trust; she hoped to one day be the kind of person that earned it.

She picked up a box from beside the couch and handed it to Justin. Brian only knew of one gift but Joan still had a mind of her own. Justin opened the box to find a high school letterman jacket. He ran his fingers over one of his favorite names and smiled at Joan.

“Brian earned this jacket for soccer. Soccer allowed him to get a scholarship to college and become the success he is today. He paid for it himself by working hard and saving his money. He was so proud of this jacket and his achievements. His father couldn’t stand the idea that his own son would outshine him. The last day my son lived in my home, Brian’s father ripped it off him and shredded it. I stood by and watched a brute of a man try to take my son’s future away from him. On my day of judgement, I will answer for my life. When I am sitting next to Jack Kinney on that train to hell, I plan to beat the shit out of him every day for eternity. I spent three months sewing this symbol of my son’s future back together with the hope God was watching and that each stitch would hold my broken boy together long enough for God to heal his soul. I knew God answered my prayers the day I met you and Gus. I am an old woman with old ways. So I want you to wear my son’s future like any pretty friend would have back in my day. It is vanity, I know, but every pretty friend needs a hot jock.” Joan said with a wicked wink to the speechless couple. Then Joan pulled a rosary from her pocket and placed it in Justin’s palm. “This is my great grandmother’s rosary. Every child born in my family was confirmed with those, including Brian. These come from a long line of strong women. I barely have that strength but I see it in you. I don’t give these to you as a religious symbol but as a family heirloom from the O'Reilly side of Brian’s ancestry. Pass them on to Gus if you choose, or any future children you have.”

That seemed to be Brian’s cue. He pulled Justin’s hand into his and looked deep into his eyes but remained quiet while Joan continued.

“This is an Irish handfasting cord brought from Ireland in the 1780’s by the Kinney family. Every couple married with this cord has had a long and happy marriage and a life full of love and peace. I refused to use the ceremony because I thought it went against God. I have since changed that belief. If a rosary used in prayer or a statute of the Virgin Mary can to bring peace and heal, then God’s love can infuse a cord to bind two lives with no other motive than a family’s future happiness. I actually was convinced when I saw on the news an image of the Virgin Mary which appeared on a piece of toast and started performing miracles. And if toast can do miracles, God’s love can be found in a cord. So, pretty friend, would you like to be given the choice of handfasting or a traditional Catholic ceremony? You can have either or both.” Joan looked at Justin with an expectant look.

Justin wasn’t quite sure what she was asking. He squeaked when he noticed all the people in the room were giving him the same expectant look, even Gus. “Gay marriage isn’t really legal, but if I had the choice I would actually like both. The more married I get, the more hope I have that it will happen,” Justin said with a grin directed at Brian. Brian gave him an emotion-filled stare and Justin gulped. He suddenly felt like everyone one was in on the joke but him. He searched Brian’s face questioningly.

Joan smiled at him. “God’s law and man’s law are not always on the same page. But even if it wasn’t legal, and only a symbol of your love for my son and his for you, would you want it? Would you pledge all you have, all you are, and all you will become to Brian, to bind your heart and soul to his?” Joan asked this other half of her son’s soul. Please say yes she prayed silently.

Joan saw the blue fire light up the man’s eyes as he looked at Brian. “I would take Brian every day of my life. I would choose him with no guaranties, without reservation. Brian is the best man I know. I will love him the rest of my days. Whether I call him my husband or my partner, he will always be my other half and own my heart.” Justin was looking so deeply into Brian’s eyes he didn’t even feel Joan wrapping their hands in the cord.

When she was done, she nodded to Brian and he began to speak from his heart. “Justin, I love you more than anything. I love Gus as much, but that’s different, as you know. There is nothing I wouldn’t do to keep you safe. Nothing I wouldn’t give to make you happy. I would throw it all away, wear polyester, shop at Kmart, and sell rocks on the interstate if you wanted. As long as you are with me I am ready to jump into the future. But I won’t go without you. I want to share our lives until the end of my days,” Brian finished before reaching into his pocket to grab their rings.

They each had two rings; one traditional platinum band and one with Celtic knots. Brian wanted to cover all his bases. He had even checked to make sure they all fit together. He liked Justin’s ‘more married the better’ theory.

Brian cupped Justin’s chin softly. “Justin, will you do me the honor of becoming my husband in the eyes of our friends and family and wear my ring as a symbol of our love?” Brian spoke slowly.

He watched as Justin looked down at their bound hands, then to the ring in Brian’s other hand. Justin blinked owlishly, looking around the room at his sobbing mother and giggling sister. Brian watched the light dawn in Justin’s face as he once again looked at the ring in Brian’s hand.

“Every day and twice on Sunday,” Justin said as his huge, ultra-mega-watt smile lit up Pittsburgh.

Joan stood and moved away to allow the next ceremony to begin. After placing the first set of rings on, Brian pulled Justin off the couch to stand in front of Father Tom. The ceremony that followed was straight forward, yet meaningful. Cherish replaced obey, another set of rings, sealed with a kiss, and it was done. Brian looked at his new husband, awed all over again that Justin really was so beautiful. Emmett was ready with the coffee and dessert as the guests congratulated the pair.

Brian looked at his mother as she quietly stood off to the side of the room. He was grateful for her wonderful words. He watched as Justin walked around their home in his old letterman jacket. Joan smiled a soft smile at her son while he looked at his husband. She knew her last gift would be the hardest to give. She motioned to Brian to join her and couldn’t help the pride she felt in her son. He had grown into a handsome, strong man.

“I wanted to give you this,” she said as she held a picture out to him. It was a picture of a smiling Jack and a baby Brian. “This was taken before it all went to hell. You were loved Brian. He turned into a monster and I into a weak horrible excuse of a mother, but there, in that moment, however small before Jack and I ruined it, you were loved,” Joan continued softly after shuddering. “I give you that picture not to hurt you or heal you. I give it to you as a reminder of how wrong life can go. Hold on to your family and don’t let the past cloud your future. That last day, before you left when that Novotney woman told your father her lies, I begged her to leave before Jack came home. She wouldn’t go and you paid the price. For that, God forgive me, I will always hate her and myself. Jack is dead, let him go. You are a father to a son; don’t let your father’s actions hold you back from loving Gus or Justin,” Joan finished as she watched her son process his emotions.

Brian held the picture of his past in his hand before he looked over at his son. Brian let the wisdom of his mother’s words heal that last piece of his soul. He could only nod before he gave her a small smile, then walked towards his future, holding his son in his arms. Joan accepted the last amends she could make to her now unbroken son. Jack Kinney’s ghost had been laid to rest and held no further power over her family.

               --------------------------------------------------

Justin sat nervously in his chair, waiting for his name to be called. He was about to get his diploma and have the last piece to his future in his hands. The rings on his finger and the watch on his wrist reminded him of the love of his family. His father was somewhere in the room watching him with pride but would soon look at him with hate. He was ready to end the false hopes his father held. Brian was also out there watching him with pride. He was ready to embrace their future and live by their own rules. He stepped across the stage, accepted his degree, and let the past leave him.

Brian, Emmett, and Ted were waiting to meet Justin and take him to dinner to celebrate. They all knew this confrontation was going to get ugly but none were willing to let Justin handle it alone. Daphne volunteered to watch Gus and Molly and would bring them to the restaurant later. Justin quickly made his way over to Brian. The crowd was thinning out as families were leaving with their graduates. Justin grabbed Brian’s hand for strength when he saw his parents heading his way.

Craig Taylor had watched his son receive his degree. His plans for his son would finally come to fruition. He was pleased his son’s little black friend had not attended. It was time Justin learned to make the right impressions and contacts. Justin would now take his place at Craig’s side and help run the family business. He watched as his son approached a group of men standing to the side. He found it disrespectful of Justin not to present himself to his father first. Craig approached his son, ready to instruct him on his place, when Justin looked directly at him before grabbing the hand of one of the men.

“Justin, what the hell are you doing? Get over here right now,” Craig hissed at his son, looking around and hoping no one saw his son holding another man’s hand. Craig was trying very hard to hold his temper but the look of defiance on Justin’s face was not to be tolerated. His anger flared white hot when the older man placed his arm around Justin’s waist. “Get your hands off my son!” Craig shouted, but the man only looked at him with a lifted eyebrow and a smirk.

“Craig, stop yelling like a fool. You are embarrassing yourself,” his wife said as she walked over to Justin and Brian and gave each a kiss on the cheek. “Congratulations, Honey. I am so proud of you,” Jennifer gushed as she hugged Justin tightly. “Brian, as always it’s a pleasure. Ted, Emmett, thanks for sharing this with us. Are we ready to go to dinner?” Jennifer asked, ignoring the giant elephant in the room. She took Ted’s arm and made as if to walk away, then stopped and looked back over her shoulder at Craig like she just remembered he was there. “Oh, Craig, you're still here? I have something for you,” she said sweetly as she handed him a picture from her purse.

Craig took the picture, quickly realizing it was of him fucking his mistress.

Jennifer stepped closer to him and smiled evilly. “You have screwed around on me for the last time. I’ve filed for divorce. I will have your crap taken to your whore and the locks changed on the house by the end of the day. I packed a bag for you; it’s in the trunk of your car. I also had my share of our accounts transferred to my name, including Molly’s college fund, and filed a lien against your company until the loan from my trust is repaid. That trust was opened by my mother and never meant to be considered a marital asset, as the loan agreement stated, so you will repay it. You have thirty days to repay the money in full before I seize all your assets,” Jennifer warned before nodding to Justin.

Justin faced his father before stating, “Dad, I’m gay. I have been gay since the day I was born. I know you will never accept that or me. I will never live the life you planned for me, never asking if I even wanted it. I cannot allow a hate filled homophobe to be a part of my life. I will also never forgive the way you’ve cheated on my mother. Before you start screaming about my sins, look at your own. Good bye, Craig,” Justin finished as he backed away from his ex-father. He could not allow such hate around his family.

Craig looked at the angry faces of his wife and son. This was not to be tolerated. He was the head of his house. He would be respected. “You will not speak to me like that. I will be obeyed! I will not tolerate a filthy disgusting lifestyle, Justin. You will apologize immediately or I will cut off all financial support. And know this, Jennifer, I will not allow my daughter around fags. I don’t know where you got the impression I would agree to a divorce but you are not getting one. We will discuss this at home. We are leaving NOW!” Craig yelled as he reached to grab Jennifer’s arm.

Jennifer yelped as her arm was wrenched back in a vice like grip. “Let go of me you asshole. You don’t have to give me shit. I have all the proof I need to expose you as the cheating bastard you are. You can take your country club life and shove it up your ass. Don’t come near me or my children again. I will see your ass in court,” Jennifer said as she pulled her arm out of Craig’s grip.

She didn’t move fast enough, though, and was knocked back when Craig slapped her in the face. Brian managed to catch her before she hit the ground. Ted grabbed Justin before he could get to his father. So they were all surprised when it was Emmett that got to Craig first; no one expected Emmett to punch Craig with such force, but they watched in fascination as Craig fell, knocked out cold, to the ground.

“Didn’t your mother teach you manners? You don’t hit a lady,” the southern man yelled at the slumped form of Craig Taylor.

“Uh, Em, he’s out cold. He can’t answer you,” Ted stammered in shock at his normally mild-mannered friend.

Emmett flounced over to Jennifer, looked at her face, before recommending they get her some ice to stop any swelling. Justin looked at his mother and he wanted to kick his ex-father in the ass. No way would he ever forgive this.

“Come on, Mom. Let's get you out of here,” Justin suggested softly as he started to move his mother away from her unconscious husband.

Brian moved to Jennifer's other side to help steer the shocked woman towards the exit.

“He hit me. That son of a bitch hit me! Justin, call 911. I want his ass arrested. He just dug his own grave,” Jennifer said through gritted teeth. She was gonna press charges. She looked down at her arm and noted the fingerprint bruises already forming on her skin. Craig Taylor could add physical abuse to his growing number to sins. It would be a cold day in Hell before Craig Taylor was allowed near her or her children ever again.


----------------------------------------------------------

6 months later


Brian walked into the offices of  Kinnetik and Taylored Designs, amazed at the pulse of activity throbbing around him. His exit plan from Ryder’s agency had gone smoother than he’d anticipated. Ryder was feeling the effects of losing his best adman and Gardner Vance was no longer interested in buying his agency as Ryder’s best clients were leaving him for Brian. The buzz about their new, innovative ad campaigns was energizing a failing regional market and garnering national attention after only a few short months.

Brian and Justin had enjoyed some alone time after Justin's graduation. Christmas had been an especially memorable event. Most of the family had gathered at the loft to celebrate the holidays. Gus had been adorable pulling his new wagon around with his stuffed animals inside; although Brian had worried about his hardwood floors. Emmett and Justin had made a wonderful meal to celebrate the season. Brian had even consented to attending midnight mass with his mother. Their relationship had improved so much, she was now a regular babysitter for Gus. Gus had settled into the Kinnetik child care facility brilliantly and was a favorite among the other kids.

Jennifer was well on her way to finalizing her divorce. Craig Taylor had been arrested for the assault and battery on his wife and Jennifer had been awarded a restraining order to keep him away from her and her children. With Craig being unable to repay the loan, he’d had to sell his stores. He was now living in his mistress's apartment in a much less nice neighborhood then he was used to. He had also been kicked out of the country club for having a criminal history of violence against women. But nobody felt much sympathy for Craig.

With the new agency being so busy, neither man had much time for personal pursuits, although both Brian and Justin made a conscious effort to set aside time for each other and their son. A simple day in the park or or a night out at Babylon helped to ensure the strength of the relationship. For example, on Valentine's Day, a romantic dinner at home while Gus was with Grandma had led to a hot night of fucking till dawn. Brian did his best to make sure Justin had time to paint. Justin did his best to make sure Brian spent as much time with Gus as possible.

Meanwhile, Brian had started to research the logistics for making Justin a daddy. Lindsey had agreed to allow Gus to be adopted by Justin. She was loving her life in Paris and had no intention of returning to the United States anytime soon. She was content with the knowledge that her son was being looked after by two loving parents. The addition of another child in the future, with Justin's DNA, was also looked into. Brian hoped for a little girl with beautiful blond locks and bright blue eyes. Justin was content, for the moment, to just raise Gus, but was looking forward to the day when they added to their family. Brian and Justin had taken the name Taylor-Kinney with the intention of changing Gus' name as needed in the future.

All the while, the denizens of Liberty Avenue were inspired by the love shown by the couple. Those in the know, knew that this was a love to last forever. And in the end, the demon stud had found his angel.

The End.
brandi1111 is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked In His Defense also liked 842 other stories.