- Text Size +


Chapter 6



They spent a majority of the day in the water and on the beach.  Justin kept asking where they were going tomorrow but Brian refused to tell him. Justin also brought up last night. "Brian, what did you take last night?   



"I am not sure. I know what they said it was.  What did I do?"



"Mostly you were just really high but then you got confrontational.  I was scared for a minute or two you might start a fight. Please, take it a little easy tonight.  We are going to leave in the morning and I would rather not have to try to bail you out before we can go.   



Snagging Justin around the waist he said, "It's our last night at the club.  I am going to enjoy myself."



"Just be a little selective, OK?  I would never want you to miss out." He leaned in and molded his hips against Brian's. "But I don't think you have missed out on much have you?"
"Good, Lord, you drive me crazy!" He captured Justin's mouth. "But I know where we will be the next week and we will have plenty of time for the two of us.  Maybe a little three or four of us tonight?"



"I'm game." Justin smiled as he pulled away from Brian. "I am going to get myself beautiful for the evening.  Want to join me in the shower/"



"I will never turn down that offer."



Since it was their last evening in the city reservations had been made early in the week at the hottest restaurant in town. If there was a celebrity in the city they would be eating here which meant there would also be photographers, too. Brian and Justin arrived by cab. Brian got out and offered his hand to Justin who stepped out.  They were stunning together. They both were tanned and relaxed. Their hair had grown a bit shaggy the last two weeks. Justin's had turned to the color of snow in the Mediterranean sun. Even Brian's dark hair had shades of spun gold through it.



It surprised them when the photographers turned the cameras on them. "Mr. Taylor, Mr. Kinney" was shouted from different directions.  Questions were asked about Justin's work and upcoming exhibits. They had been recognized before in the States but they had never had this much attention. Someone finally asked a question about "the Pain". "What is your reaction to the $3 million offer for your painting?"



Justin stopped in his tracks. Looking over at the reporter, he said, "What did you say?"



"You hadn't heard? It has been in all the papers."



"We haven't been following any papers while we are on vacation." Justin was stunned. "$3 Million?"



The men managed to get in the door where Brian grabbed Justin by the waist and kissed him soundly.  "I always knew you were a success. I also don't expect you to take the offer."

"I always said I wouldn't ever sell that painting but that is a lot of money."
"Justin, do we need the money? No! So, don't even think about it. That painting will always be Michelle's.



"Thank you for making that so easy!" Justin gave Brian a quick kiss as they were lead to their table.



The food was marvelous and they did meet a few people as they ate.  Justin was never comfortable being the center of attention but this evening it was actually enjoyable. Justin had to admit, he felt like he had made it!



As they were leaving Justin noticed an exchange between Brian and the maitre d.   They got in another cab to take them to the club. "I saw that." Justin said with a little smile.



"I figured these would be safer than the club's supply.  Can I offer you a taste? They each popped a pill and 30 minutes later when they arrived at the club they were feeling a nice warm buzz.   



As usual, they were led to the front of the line and let in with no waiting. The music was loud. The booze was flowing. Justin and Brian were in the center of the floor with a growing crowd joining them. Justin was sure Brian had popped at least one more of his happy pills but he deserved to relax.  They were on vacation.



As the crowd grew the space between them grew.  Justin and Brian were both enjoying the music and the crowd. Justin felt someone come up behind him and press in closely.  That wasn't uncommon in a club like this. He turned around to acknowledge his new friend. It was than that he realized it was the same man as last night.  "Hey. I haven't changed my mind from last night."



The guy replied, "Did I ask you to?" He moved closer and took Justin around the waist drawing Justin to him.



Justin had let the guy know that nothing was going to happen beyond the dance floor so what was the harm of dancing with him.  It happened all the time at the clubs. Just a little harmless flirting never hurt anyone and he wasn't doing it behind Brian's back.  In fact, Brian seemed to be doing a little flirting of his own. God, he loved that man.



The music continued. The booze continued. The dancing continued.



Brian wasn't sure how many of the little pills he had popped but he was felt every beat, every clash of light, every nerve ending in his body. He could see so clearly.  He scanned the crowd to find Justin. When he located him in the arms of another guy, he lost it.



Brian pushed his way through the crowd and was pulling Justin out of the stranger's arms. Brian yelled, "Get your own blond. This one is mine!" His arm went back and connected with the man's jaw sending him stumbling backwards.  



Justin grabbed Brian before he could hit him again.  "What are you doing?" He turned Brian to face him. "Brian! Stop it! He wasn't doing anything you weren't doing yourself!" Looking in his eyes he could see a haze. There would be no reasoning with him. Justin forced Brian to head toward the door. The club bouncer showed up on the other side and assisted Justin in getting him in the cab.  Justin gave the bouncer some cash for the assist instead of calling the police. When they arrived at their hotel the cabbie helped get Brian to the room.



Brian dropped to the bed.  Justin pulled off Brian's shoes and then his pants and shirt.  He threw a blanket over him and slept on the couch. "Seriously, Brian," he thought as he tossed on the couch. "Did you seriously have to do that?" He shut his eyes and tried to sleep.



Justin woke to find Brian sitting on the edge of the couch pushing strands of hair off his forehead.  "Good Morning, Sunshine."



Justin did not respond.  He glanced at the clock on the wall. They had to get going to be ready by the given time.  Justin pushed past Brian, headed to the bathroom, and locked the door behind him.



Brian had followed him as far as the bedroom but as he heard the lock click he dropped onto the bed. Shit, he messed up. What had he done.  He remembered dancing and then there was an image of Justin in the arms of a beautiful young man. He then looked at the bruises on his knuckles. SHIT! Did he really call Justin his blonde?



Justin came out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist.



Brian put a hand on his shoulder but Justin flinched away. "Justin, I am so sorry."



Justin walked past him and started dressing. Brian knew there wasn't time right now to make things better. He jumped into the shower.



When he came out Justin was no longer in the bedroom and neither was his luggage. He stepped out of the bedroom in just a towel and called for Justin.  No answer. He rushed to the door calling his name, "Justin!" There was fear in his voice.



Justin was sitting in a chair outside. "I am right here." He saw relief cross Brian's face. Even being furious at this man he hated to see him worry. He sometimes forgot how insecure this gorgeous man was. "Brian, yes, I am extremely angry with you right now and we haven't even started to talk about this but I am not going anywhere without you.



Relief washed over Brian's face as he went back into the room. Ten minutes later he came out back out with his luggage.  Justin couldn't look at him or he would want to forgive him and he wasn't ready for that. Brian had to know he couldn't do this anymore. He could get by with it when he was 30 but he was nearly 40 now and had a son.



A car arrived and their luggage was loaded.  Brian wasn't sure what to say or do at this point.  "Justin, I...."



"The only thing I want to hear right now is where we are going. Nothing else!"



Brian felt defeated.  This was supposed to be such a special moment and he had screwed it up.  He couldn't do anything right. His mother was right. He was just a loser.



"We are going to a private villa in the mountains.  Just the two of us. The only other people we will see is a cook and a pool girl." Justin had given him a quizzical look. "Yes, girl.  I didn't want any distractions. Justin, I am so sorry."



"Too soon, Brian.  Too soon." And that was the end of the conversation as the car wound its way up the lovely countryside on the way to what was supposed to be a perfect week.