- Text Size +

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 7






“Brian, wake up.”

“Hm, yeah, what time is it?”

“It’s almost dinnertime.”

“Shit! How long have we been asleep?”

“Longer than we intended. I think we were both exhausted with worry and stress, waiting for news about your mother’s condition.”

“And fucking Claire moaning and spurting tears all over the fucking hospital.”

Justin stifled a chuckle. “She gives the term drama queen a whole new meaning.”

Brian shoved himself up in the bed. He leaned his head back against the pillow and stared at the ceiling. After a while he said softly. “She’s going to be all right, isn’t she?”

“You heard the doctor,” Justin said emphatically. “Joan’s going to be just fine.”

“I …” Brian clamped his mouth shut cutting off the words that wanted to spill out.

“Tell me, Brian.” Justin snuggled against his husband and twined his fingers with Brian’s. He looked into the troubled hazel eyes.

“I guess … this … this made me realize…”

“Realize what?” Justin asked, pressing Brian to let it all out. He knew something was really troubling Brian, and it wasn’t Claire’s barrage of tears.

“That my mother could die,” Brian whispered.

“We all die … eventually.”

“Yes, but Joan is … old. This could have been the end.”

“It could have been, but it isn’t. She has many more years ahead of her.”

“I hope so,” Brian said with a sigh. “I never thought I’d admit this but I like having her around.”

Justin smiled before he leaned in and gently kissed Brian’s lips. “I know you do. I kind of like having her around too.”

“Did you ever think we’d actually be saying that?” Brian asked.

“Joan has changed a lot over the years.”

“And I have too.”

“It’s wonderful that you two have found a happy place where the old differences and problems are no longer an issue.”

“I … can’t imagine my life without her now.”

“Bree would be devastated if anything happened to her Gamma Joan,” Justin observed.

“Fuck! Bree! We should have called her ages ago. She’s been home from school for hours. She’s going to be pissed.”

Justin laughed. “Brian, she’s a child. She’ll get over it.”

“Yeah, but she can make me feel guilty like no other human being on the face of the earth.”

“Then I guess we better call her.”

“Do I have to?” Brian asked with a pout on his face.

“You are so pathetic when you try that,” Justin laughed.

“You could call her,” Brian said hopefully.

“Oh, all right,” Justin agreed. “I’ll make the doomsday call.”

Brian tried not to smirk as Justin picked up his cell phone and hit the button for Edna’s Treasures.

“Hello?” Bobby’s voice came over the line.

“Hey, Bobby, it’s Justin.”

“About fucking time.”

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“We have a very unhappy princess who was most upset that you didn’t call when she got home from school.”

“Shit! Put her on.”

Brian looked at Justin and shrugged. He had got the gist of the conversation from Justin’s words and the look of panic on his face. “Is she coming on the line?” Brian asked.

Justin nodded and waited.

“She won’t take the phone,” Bobby’s voice came back to him.

“Fuck!” Justin reacted. “She won’t talk to me,” Justin whispered to Brian.

“Give me the phone,” Brian said decisively.

“But…”

“Give it to me,” Brian ordered. Justin handed it to him. “Bobby?”

“Yeah, Brian. What should I do?”

“Hold the phone near her ear.”

“Okaaay.”

“Squirt, it’s Dada. Listen carefully. Are you listening?” Brian heard nothing in response, but there was no sound of his daughter crying or throwing a tantrum. He continued, hoping that Bobby was keeping the phone close to Bree’s ear. “If you don’t want to talk to me, that’s fine, but I want you to know that Grandma came through her operation fine. She’s doing good and loves you very much. I was supposed to tell you that.”

“Is she really okay?” Bree’s little voice asked over the phone.

“She’s tired and sore, but she’s fine. She should be released from the hospital on Friday.”

“Friday?” Bree asked. “Do I have to wait till then to see her?”

“Yes, I’m afraid so.”

“Dada, can you tell her I love her too?”

“Of course I will.”

“I miss you and Daddy,” Bree said with a little sniffle.

“We miss you too, and we’re coming home later tonight.”

“You are?” Bree asked hopefully.

“Yes, Squirt. I promise.”

“Okay, Dada.”

“We’ll see you soon.”

“Will you do my hair for school tomorrow?” Bree asked.

“You know I will.”

“Love you, Dada.”

“I love you too, Squirt.”

“Can I talk to Daddy?” Bree asked.

“He’s right here.”

“Daddy?” Bree’s voice asked as Brian handed the phone to Justin.

“Hi, sweetheart.”

“Daddy, I’m sorry I didn’t talk to you before.”

“You were upset.” There was a long pause, and Justin could imagine his daughter bobbing her head in agreement. “But we’re fine now?”

“Yes, Daddy.”

“We’ll be home soon.”

“Good,” Bree said definitively. “Did Gamma like my grey bunny?”

“Um … we couldn’t give her your bunny in the surgical ward. But Dada told her all about it, and Gamma was really happy that you sent the bunny.”

“Oh,” Bree said somewhat sadly. “I wanted her to have it.”

“We’ll give it to her as soon as they’ll let us. Grandma appreciated that you were so thoughtful to send it for her.”

“’Kay, Daddy.”

“Okay, sweetheart. I should go now.”

“Daddy, will you make me porridge for breakfast tomorrow?”

“I certainly will.”

“Good,” Bree replied, and Justin could almost hear the smile in her voice.

“Put Uncle Bobby back on for a minute,” Justin requested. He waited while the phone was transferred.

“Hello, Justin.”

“Bobby, is she okay now? Tell me the truth.”

“She’s fine … much better than before you called.”

“That’s good.”

“There’s nothing harder to deal with than an angry Bree.”

“Except maybe an angry Brian,” Justin noted.

“Yeah, well, that goes without saying.”

“Thanks, Bobby, we’ll be home soon.” Justin cut the connection.

“An angry Brian?” Brian asked with a decidedly raised brow.

“Um, you know.”

“I don’t do angry anymore.”

Justin cleared his throat before he said anything that might start a fight.



*****



“Unca John, can me and Patrick play outside for a while?” Bree asked. They had just finished dinner and their homework was all done. It was still light out and the evening was warm.

“Stay right out back and take Beau with you,” John instructed the kids as he stood by the kitchen sink washing out a skillet.

“Okay!” the kids called back as they ran to the door.

“And no running in the....house,” John admonished to no one as the door slammed behind the children.

“Forget it, Babe. They won’t stop running until they’re our age,” Bobby teased while he wiped up the kitchen table. John smirked as they finished clearing up after dinner.



*****



“So is your grandma better?” Patrick asked as he tossed the softball to Bree. She was catching two out of three throws but still had a tendency to close her eyes as the ball got closer. Bree was much more comfortable playing soccer, but this was the only way she could still play with her Patrick.

“Yeah. Dada said she might get out of the hosp’l soon,” Bree said as she dropped the ball. She stamped one little foot in frustration as she picked up the ball then tossed it back.

“That’s good,” Patrick said as he easily caught the ball then threw it back. Bree dropped the ball again.

“I don’t like this ball!” Bree yelled as she picked it up then threw it back at Patrick as hard as she could. Caught off guard by Bree’s anger-fueled strength, the ball hit Patrick’s leg.

“Ow! Watch it, Bree, that hurt. What if I hit you?” Patrick yelled back as he threw the ball at her but angling the ball down. The ball went wild, bouncing off the ground and hitting Bree in the chin, hard, knocking her onto her bum.

“Bree!” Patrick shouted as he realized what happened. “Dad! Poppa!” Patrick screamed for his dads as he ran to Bree’s side.

Briana sat on the grass momentarily stunned, her chin began to throb then she let out a blood curdling wail.

“Bree, I’m sorry,” Patrick cried as his fathers ran over. Patrick began talking fast as he tried to explain what happened.

“I want my daddies!” Bree cried, tears streaming down her face. John scooped the petite child into his arms as Beau ran circles around them, whining with his concern.

“Your daddies are on the way, princess,” John said calmly to reassure his niece. Bobby scowled, taking Patrick inside to get a clearer explanation of what happened. Bobby wasn’t looking forward to the wrath of Brian and Justin who just happened to be driving up the lane toward Edna’s Treasures.

“What the fuck is going on around here?” Brian growled as they ran into the sun porch hearing Bree’s cries.

“Dada!” Bree cried from John’s arms, reaching out for her older father. As John started to transfer the crying child to Brian, Bree opened her mouth to again call out for her Dada, and out popped a bloody tooth. Bree looked down at the tooth on the floor, looked up into her Dada’s eyes then began crying louder.

“Will somebody tell me what the fuck just happened?” Brian snarled as he hugged his hysterical daughter to his chest. Patrick bravely stepped up to face the music and his uncle.

“We were playing catch,” Patrick began, sniffling as he bent down to rub his leg. Brian arched a brow.

“And then?” Swaying gently, Brian felt Bree start to relax against him. Her sobs were calming.

“She got upset because of her grandma and cause she doesn’t like playing catch. She got mad at me then she sort of threw the ball at me and I kinda threw it back,” Patrick mumbled the last few words as he looked down at the floor.

Brian narrowed his eyes; John and Bobby moved closer to their son’s side. “What happened to your leg?” Brian asked softly.

“When Bree threw the ball it hit my leg.”

“And Bree’s face?” It was obvious from the bruise that was beginning to form on Bree’s chin that she had been hit.

“When I threw the ball back it bounced and knocked her on her chin. I’m sorry, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said with remorse. “Bree, I’m sorry.”

Bree sniffled a few times then looked down at her cousin.

“What do you say?” Brian whispered into his daughter’s tiny ear. “It was an accident that you got hit. Did you mean to hit Patrick?”

“No, Dada,” Bree murmured as she shook her head. “I love my Patrick.” A few more tears slipped down her face.

“Then I think you should kiss and make up and then we’ll clean you up. Okay?”

Bree nodded. “Sorwy, Patwick. I love you,” Bree said from the confines of her Dada’s arms.

“I’m sorry. I love you too, Bree,” Patrick replied as he reached up to touch Bree’s hand.

“Let me see your leg, son,” Bobby said. Patrick rolled up his pant leg to reveal the bruise that was forming on his shin. There was a minor scrape also.

“I think we need ice packs for his shin and her chin,” John declared. “Patrick, let’s go clean up your leg.”

“We’ll make the ice packs,” Justin said to Bobby.

“I’ll take the Squirt to her room,” Brian announced. “And I think the tooth fairy will be making a visit tonight,” Brian said as he picked up the tiny fallen tooth.

“You’re not mad cause I broke my tooth, Dada?” Bree asked as more tears formed in her eyes.

“No, Baby. That tooth was ready to come out. That little bop on the chin just sped up the process. You’ll be losing several more teeth this year,” Brian reassured his daughter.

“Oh,” Bree said. She rested her head against Brian’s shoulder as he carried her into her bedroom.

In Bree’s room he gently washed away her tears and the tiny spots of blood on her lip. Then he helped her change into her pj’s. Justin found them sitting in the rocking chair with Bree on Brian’s lap. Brian was slowly rocking back and forth. Bree’s eyes were drooping.

“Is she asleep?” Justin asked as he handed Brian the ice pack.

“Not yet but she’s exhausted,” Brian replied as he placed the wrapped up ice pack on Bree’s mouth and chin.

“She’s just as worried about Joan as you are, Bri. And Bobby said she was really missing us. I don’t remember when the both of us were away from her for more than a day other than our trip to Florida,” Justin said reflectively. “She missed us,” Justin said as he gently brushed the strawberry blond bangs away from Bree’s eyes.

“Why don’t you turn down her bed,” Brian suggested.

“Do we send her to school tomorrow?” Justin asked turning down the blanket then fluffing Bree’s pillow.

“Yes. I want to get our life back to as normal as possible,” Brian said as he stood with Bree. Just then they heard a gentle knock on the door. Justin went to open it.

“Is Bree okay?” Patrick asked, his eyes moist with unshed tears. He was also in his pajamas with his own ice pack wrapped onto his shin.

“She’s fine,” Justin assured the boy as he ruffled the fine red hair.

“I brought this,” Patrick said handing a small pouch to Justin. “For Bree’s tooth,” he explained. “My Grandma Claire got it for me when I started losing my teeth,” Patrick said with a tentative smile.

“Thank you, Patrick. That’s so thoughtful of you,” Justin said as he retrieved Bree’s tooth from the bathroom where Brian had left it and put it in the small pouch. Then he placed the pouch under Bree’s pillow.

“Patwick, can you stay with me?” Bree asked sleepily as Brian got her settled in her bed.

“Do you want me to stay?” Patrick wasn’t sure if he was forgiven, by Bree or her dads.

“Yes,” Bree said nodding her head.

“Is it okay?” Patrick asked, looking at Brian and Justin. Justin smiled as he nodded at his nephew. Patrick searched Brian’s face which was so like his own father’s.

“Come here,” Brian said softly as he drew the young man to him for a hug. “I trust you with my daughter. I know you love her.” Brian kissed the top of the red mop of hair. “Go on, get under the covers,” Brian said as he tucked Patrick in then kissed both kids. “Good night.”

“Go to sleep. The tooth fairy won’t come if you’re awake,” Justin said as he too kissed the children. He turned on a small night light just in case either child woke up disoriented during the night. “Good night.”

“Night, Daddy.”

Bree snuggled close to Patrick as her daddies left the room.

“You mad at me?” Patrick asked after a while.

“No. You mad at me?”

“No.”

“Good,” Bree said as she raised her head up to give Patrick a small smile and a kiss on his cheek. Patrick smiled then giggled at the small gap left by her missing tooth.

“Let’s go to sleep or the tooth fairy won’t come,” Patrick wisely said.

“Okay,” Bree said, snuggling up against him, then quickly falling asleep.

Patrick sighed as he soon followed Bree into sleep.



*****



“Think they're all right?” Justin asked Brian. Justin drew a soapy sponge across Brian's shoulders as they showered together.

“Yeah, I think so,” Brian answered as Justin's ministrations helped to ease away his tensions.

“We have to remember Bree's tooth,” Justin murmured as he kissed a trail down Brian's back. Brian spread his legs. Taking that as an invitation, Justin went down on his knees to rim his lover.

“Mmm. Oh yeah,” Brian moaned as Justin did sinful things with his tongue. Justin turned Brian around to suck his cock.

“What about you?” Brian asked as he leaned his forehead against Justin's while he recovered from his orgasm.

“Later, after we play tooth fairy,” Justin said as he kissed Brian. The lovers got out of the shower to do just that.