- Text Size +

Chapter 2


It was 4:00 pm before Brian had a chance to call Justin.  He nearly text early in the day but he didn't want Justin to feel like he was checking up on him.  Brian knew the counselor had warned them things like this could occur for a while and this morning Justin seemed to have pulled himself together. And there was always that artist thing.  Brian had learned years ago Justin sometimes got so involved in what he was doing he forgot everything.

When Justin arrived at his studio he went straight to the painting he had done yesterday. He stood there and stared at it for several minutes.  The strokes and colors he had used had been instinctual at the time but looking at it now he 'felt' the painting. He felt his anxiety, his doubt, and his fear. He usually spent hours after he did a painting making small changes to get it just right.  He looked at this one and signed it. On the back he wrote, "FEAR".

Justin spent most of the day reviewing the schedule, wrapping his head around everything on those pages.  He had to admit there was definitely some excitement building. Talking to Dan this morning calmed some of his nerves, trusting him to be thorough and knowing Dan really cared about his safety.  He started planning painting groupings and thinking about a few he wanted to finish before the tour started. Two months were going to fly by and so much to do.

Justin checked his phone a couple times throughout the day expecting Brian to touch base with him but no texts had been missed.  It was later afternoon when his phone rang. He was surprised to see it was Brian, expecting only a text.

"Hey, Brian.  Don't tell me you have a dinner meeting?"  Usually if Brian called rather than texted it was because there was a change in plans.

"Ah, Sunshine, would I do that?"  He chuckled. "No, I just wanted to hear your voice.  Makes it easier to picture that smokin' hot body of yours."  

"Sure," Justin laughed. "You should be able to picture my body in total darkness."

"Oh, trust me, I do," There was a leer in his voice if that is possible. "But I don't have time for phone sex right now. What shall we do for dinner tonight? Do you want to eat in? Go out? Skip it and just live on 'protein'?"  

"I feel like cooking.  Do you mind?"

"I never mind eating what you make."

Justin chose to ignore the suggestiveness in Brian's voice. "What would you like? Chicken, seafood, beef?"

"I don't have a preference. Whatever you feel like making is fine with me. Soon enough I will be eating takeout most nights..."

"Or not eating at all!  I know you. I am going to have to make sure Dan helps take care of you or you will work yourself into the ground while I am gone.

With a note of seriousness Brian replied, "You don't know how nice it is to know someone cares. Love you, Sunshine."

"Love you, too.  What time should I expect you?"   

"I hope to make it by 6 but plan on eating at 7 just in case I am late.  If I am on time maybe we can hit the hot tub before eating, if you can leave the meal alone for a while."

"You make it home early and I promise I will make it worth your while." Justin said with that tone that drove Brian crazy.

"I'll see you at 6:00!" Brian hung up.

Justin cleaned up the loft and took a couple pictures of his new painting, forwarding them to Peter. Out of habit he checked the security camera to the area around the door.  He mumbled under his breath, "Dillon will not be out any time soon if at all. Relax!"

He slung his ever-present messenger bag over his shoulder and left for the short walk home. He stopped at the corner market that had excellent seafood.  He purchased shrimp, scallops, mussels, and some fresh vegetables he wanted to add as well some canned tomatoes. He was sure there was rice at the house.  He could throw this together and have it ready to finish in the oven when Brian arrived. He had everything ready by 5:45 so he decided he should call his mom. It had been a few days since he had touched base.  He wanted to tell her about the upcoming tour and assure her Dan was working on an assistant that was trusted and trained.

The phone rang several times and just as he was ready to hang up Jennifer picked up.  "Justin, how are you? It is so good to hear your voice." She said this every time they talked now.  He knew his mom worried especially since the shooting.

"Everything's good, Mom. That's why I am calling." He went on to tell her about the tour, the assistant, Dan help, and his new painting. As they were talking Brian walked in. He circled behind Justin and started kissing his neck while slipping his hands into Justin's pants. He started trying to wrap up the call. "Um, Mom, I need to go."

"Let me guess. Brian got home and has his tongue in your ear."  

Justin laughed as Brian said, "Hi, Jennifer." Having heard her comment. Good byes were said and Justin turned to face Brian putting his arms around his neck.

"Welcome home.  Will promising you sex get you home on time every day?" Leaning in, Justin's hands entwined with Brian's hair and their lips skittered over each other before locking together for a long, searching kiss. As the kiss continued Justin slipped Brian's jacket off his shoulders and folded it down with his hands. He tossed it toward one of the bar stools.  He pulled Brian's shirt out of his trousers and unbuttoned it.

"I think someone is a bit horny tonight"

Justin laughed, "Tonight? And it is a good thing I am since you are always ready to fuck. But right now aren't we heading out to the hot tub.  We do need to be back in here ready to eat by 7:30 at the latest or dinner will be done for."

They both finished shedding their clothes and strode across the yard naked to the hot tub. The water temperature was perfect and soon they were a mass of slippery arm and chests.  Under the water their legs rubbed against each other until Justin locked his around Brian's waist easing himself on to Brian's erection. Slowly they moved together as they both went higher and higher until they collapsed together. They were not through with each other.  Their mouths again found each other and their tongues entwined.

They heard someone clear his throat. "Excuse me guys.  I thought ….you seemed to be...oh hell, you fuck like rabbits.  I thought you were done when I walked over." All three of them started laughing.

"What can we do for you?" Brian asked pleasantly.

"That is probably not a good question who hasn't had sex in over a week and no prospects on the horizon."

"So, it is definitely a done deal with Andre?  I noticed he hadn't been around much lately." Justin commented.

"Well, since he moved in with someone else yesterday I would say it is done."

"That's rough.  Sorry." Instinctively Justin snuggled closer to Brian. "Why don't you come in and join us.  Well, join Brian for 10 minutes or so while I get dinner finished. There is plenty if you want to join us."

"I don't want to interrupt or barge in. It's obvious you two were in the, um, middle of something."

Brian started laughing, "As you so tactfully mentioned we fuck as often as rabbits."  He pulled Justin in for one more kiss and whispered a thanks to him.

As Justin got out Dan shed his clothes and climbed into the tub. He sat down leaned back and shut his eyes. Brian quietly asked, "You ok?

"Ya, I'm ok even if the guy broke my heart into a million pieces." Dan looked away and Brian could tell he wasn't as OK as he said.

This wasn't Brian's comfort zone.  Justin took care of the emotional stuff where others were concerned but he slid to Dan's side of the tub and put and arm loosely around his friend.  He didn't expect what happened next. Dan crumbled against him in mass of sobs. Brian looked past his friend willing Justin to come back out but no such luck.  He could see Justin gliding around the kitchen, probably singing to some music.

Dan composed himself quickly. "I'm sorry, Brian. I had no intention of falling apart. Guess I just needed to get it out of my system. I am ok now."

"I think it is about time for dinner.  You will join us, won't you?"

"I don't want to sour the mood." Dan said.

"Come on.  Eat and then head out so I can finish my previous task." Brian winked at Dan and they both laughed.

"If you insist. I actually may have something to talk to you about anyway. "

"Already?" Brian knew he was talking about Justin's assistant.

The men were drying off and dressing as they talked.

"Let's wait until dinner so I can tell you both at once." They finished dressing and headed to the house.

Justin saw them coming and started pulling food out of the oven. They had tossed salad and then steaming bowls of fish stew served over rice and crusty bread on the side to soak up the sauce of the stew.

Dan starting talking as they ate.  "I asked around today about finding you an assistant. I said I was looking for someone young with military experience and preferably someone who has knowledge of the art world. I was given 2 names.  Both seem like they would work well but one looks like a perfect fit to me. Of course, Justin, you need to meet both of them and see who you think will work best."

Brian and Justin looked at each other. "When can I meet them?  The sooner the better so whoever he is can start soon. There is a lot to do." Justin stated. "I first didn't want an assistant but now I can tell I will need one."

One of the men is available tomorrow.  The other will be available on Saturday. Does that work?"  Both Brian and Justin nodded. "I will email over their resumes. On that note I will leave as Brian made me promise."

Justin gave Dan a hug.  "Thanks, Dan, and remember we are always across the courtyard." Dan gave Justin a kiss. "Thank you. I will remember that."

Brian moved in and put a possessive hand on Justin's back.  Dan wasn't a threat but Brian didn't let anyone move in on HIS Justin.  He knew it was crazy considering how many men they had slept with but that was different.  One on one Justin was his alone.

Dan walked out as they waved.   

"Now where were we when Dan interrupted us?" Brian's hands went down Justin pants to grab his ass.

"That is all you can think of, I swear. But we have to clean up first.  You really don't want to leave that seafood sit out all night."

Brian ground his hips to Justin letting him know how much he needed him." He started kissing Justin's neck and nipping at his neck. "If we do this together we will be done in 10 minutes.  You take care of the cold stuff and I will put away the hot food. As soon as that is done," Justin grabbed Brian's crotch, "This can be done!"

Both men worked quickly and efficiently finishing in no time. They chased each other up the stairs and into the bedroom, clothes flying all directions as they dove into bed.

An hour later they lay in each other's arms. "Dan is really broke up about Andre.  He had a melt down after you left the hot tub." Brian pulled Justin to him. "I was trying to telepathically call you back out but it didn't work."  

"I know you don't believe it but you are really good at compassion.  I would be in therapy if it wasn't for you. You have a heart bigger than anyone I know."

"Justin, my heart reacts to you, your needs, your wants, your heart."

"Your heart reacts to lots of people but I will take it all for now."   

"I'll be right back." Justin jumped up and ran down the stairs.  A couple minutes later he came back upstairs with a couple pages in his hand He crawled back into bed next to Brian. "Here are the guys' resumes.  I wanted to look at the resumes together." Brian kept nibbling Justin's neck as Justin looked at the resumes. Justin swatted at him.

Brian knew Justin was serious about this so he looked over Justin's shoulder and read with Justin.  Both resumes showed outstanding men. It looked like either of them would do an excellent job but one of them stuck out.  Jarod was just out of the Marines after 4 years. Jarod's mother was an art teacher. He had grown up going to art museums all over the world.  Jarod was the guy unless there was an obvious personality conflict.

Brian took the papers out of Justin's hand. "With that decision made, what could we do?" In one swift move Brian' flipped Justin to his stomach. Ever so slowly Brian started at Justin's shoulder blades and ever so slowly he drug his tongue down Justin's spine.  Justin was having a hard time laying still. He flipped to his back, pulling Brian down as their mouths were joined. As Brian entered Justin, slowly his only thought was ow much he loved this man and this Jarod better be as good as he looked on paper.

The next afternoon Brian cleared his schedule to meet with Justin and Jarod.  He trusted Justin's decisions but he had to meet him himself.

They met at the studio rather than at the house.  They kept that location closely guarded after the Dillon incident. Jarod arrived right on time.  The bell rang and Justin and Brian looked at the security camera. There was an amazing specimen of a man standing there. At first glance he appeared to be about the same height as Brian but he probably had an additional 30 to 40 pounds of muscle on his frame. He had a mop of curly, blond hair and an amazingly deep tan from spending a couple years in a desert overseas.

The buzzer went again and Justin responded, "May I ask your name."  

"Hello, I'm Jarod Thomas."  

"Hi, Jarod, I will buzz you up." Justin smiled over at Brian.  "Well if you can't be with me it looks like I will have some eye candy to look at."

Brian tensed a bit.  He knew Justin was joking but seriously did he want Justin spending six months with this man?  

There was a knock on the door and Brian opened it.

"Mr. Kinney, I'm Jarod Thomas." He walked over to Justin. "It's an honor to meet you, Mr. Taylor. I have seen your work. Well, I have seen pictures of your work.  It is very impressive."

"You must really want this job to butter him up like that." Brian was being Brian.  He hadn't done his macho routine in a while but he was definitely posturing now.

"Ignore him, Jarod. Tell me something about you I should know."  

Jarod talked about growing up with an art teacher and about his love for the masters.  He also told Justin what he loved about the work he had seen of Justin's. After the conversation went on for some time  

Brian interrupted. "This is all great, guys, but, Jarod, I want to know how you will protect Justin if need be. That's what is most important."

"Mr. Kinney, I have lead several raids recovering kidnap victims.  I have guarded many high-risk diplomats that I can't name but I can tell you no harm came to any of them. And Mr. Kinney, if the two of you decide I am the right person for the job, I give you my word that if the situation arises, I will give my life for your partner."

Justin took Brian's hand and squeezed.  

After about another 30 minutes of getting to know each other Jarod shook Justin's hand and then Brian's. "I look forward to hearing from you." And he was gone.

"Brian, what did you think?"   

"He looks good on paper.  He interviews well. His credentials are impeccable.

"But?" Justin took Brian's hand.

"But....does he have to be so damn good looking?"  He looks like he could be in the movies. He looks like someone I would have worked really hard to take to bed. He also looks like he would do anything to save your life. I know he is the right person for the job.  I also know I am jealous as hell. Not that you will be with him but that he will be with you."

Justin came over to Brian and took him in his arms. There is nothing to be jealous about.  After putting up with your shit for 6 years and finally having you trained the way I like it, do you really think I am going to screw a pretty boy that I am not even sure is gay? Brian you are the man I plan to spend my life with.  I can't live without you and I would never mess that up with a fling. Yes, we still play around but only together. I am not going to ruin a good thing."

Justin kissed Brian and at the same time he was pulling out his phone.  He pushed a button and number was called. "Yes, Dan, could you cancel Saturday's appointment and could you let Jarod know he has the job if he agrees to the terms we discussed."

He hung up the phone, looked at Brian and said as he undid Brian's fly, "Do you mind if I show you just how much I love you?" And lowered his head to Brian's lap.