- Text Size +

Chapter 5


The week flew by. Justin and Brian managed to have dinner each night but they barely had the energy to do anything once they crawled into bed at the end of the day. It was already Friday.   Jarod was leaving on Monday morning to start the set up and Justin was leaving on Wednesday with no return date on his ticket.

Justin arrived at the studio a half hour earlier than usual.  To his surprise Jarod was walking up at the same time. "What are you doing here already?"

Jarod responded, "I had a feeling you would be here early today.  Your babies are being shipped off today. In fact, they will all be gone by noon today."

"I just wanted to make sure everything was ready.  If you haven't figured it out I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my work."

"Why do you think I have been taking such meticulous notes?"

"Why do you think I trust you to start set up without me?" Justin laughed. "Do you have plans for lunch?"  

"Nothing. Was probably going to hit the deli on the corner."

"Why don't I make you some lunch at my place.  I need something to do so I don't obsess about the art being on the road."

"Sure, sounds great.  I had gotten the feeling your place was off limits to anyone.  Are you sure you don't want to check it out with Brian? I would understand, really."

"If Brian didn't trust you, you would know it.  Well, maybe you wouldn't because he would have said no to hiring you."

"Does Brian make a lot of your decisions.?"

"No, not at all.  He just worries about me after what happened."

"I can understand that." Jarod thought a second.  "I don't know what I would do if someone went after someone I loved."

"And I seem to attract trouble. He has been there for me more than once."

"What else hap....."

The downstairs buzzer rang. Jarod looked at the security camera. "Gentlemen, may I see your papers?"

One of the men held up the work order to the camera and Jarod buzzed them in.

The two delivery men along with Jarod and Justin loaded the paintings in the truck. The door was pulled and a lock was secured.  The men handed the key to Jarod as was planned. The paintings and the key would not be together until they got to the gallery in Columbus.

After doing a little straightening the men headed out.  They took the short walk to the hidden courtyard. Jarod was amazed when they went through the gate, down the path, and into the courtyard.

"I have walked past that gate every day for a couple months and would never have thought this was back here."

"Well, Dan owns all this.  He lives in that house. Brian and I rent the other one from him." It is a great setup.  It's quiet. There is a hot tub we can use and the house is a great size and the kitchen is like one professionals use. I think Dan's old partner helped design it. So, what are you hungry for.  I could make us salads and sandwiches. I could do some pasta." As he was talking he was looking in the refrigerator. "If pasta is ok I think I know what I will make."

"Sounds good.  Can I help?"

"How are your knife skills? "

"I think I can chop some vegetables."

"Great, after helping move all the paintings my gimp hand is acting up."

"I have heard you say that before. Did something happen to your hand?"

"I guess you haven't heard the story." Justin kept working as he talked. "I started to mention it this morning when the movers arrived.  It was the first time I was nearly killed." Justin went on to tell Jarod about Chris Hobbs. He told him about Brian showing up at prom and then he told him about getting hit and his long recovery."

By now Jarod was sitting by the bar as Justin kept cooking and talking.

"I am not sure what would have happened to me if Brian hadn't been there and then if he hadn't supported me, physically and mentally, as I regained my ability to do almost everything. Sorry, I got carried away.  Brian is one of my favorite subjects. I could have lost him to cancer a few years back, too, so we have been there for each other."

"No wonder you two are so close.  You have been through a lot together."

"It hasn't all been great." Changing the topic, "I know I promised you the story about my sex life sometime." They both laughed.  "Well, I will give you a brief version."

"I am starting to believe this is going to be quite a story."

"It isn't boring. " Justin laughed as he set the meal in front of his guest.

The men took their meal outside and sat on the patio while they ate.   

"This is amazing!" Jarod said with his mouth full of vegetables and pasta. Where did you learn to cook like this?"

"When I was a kid I enjoyed helping my mom and when I moved in with Brian at 17 if I wanted to eat anything that wasn't take out I had to learn.  And it is another way I can be creative. I find it relaxing."

"Well, if your art career ever goes south, you have a backup."

"Brian enjoys it."

"You really are in love, aren't you?"

"I honestly don't know what I would do if he wasn't there for me.  We are kind of two parts to one person. I know, I know very corny."

"Actually, I have to admit, I am jealous. I hope to find someone, someday."

This was Justin's chance, "So, what would your special someone be like?"

"Someone's heart is the most important.  Caring, giving, willing to share life. And, call me shallow, someone who takes care of themselves. But look at the god you love and who loves you, you know you need an attraction."

Justin started laughing.  Jarod gave him an odd look. "Could you be any more vague or dense right now? I was trying to be subtle but I guess I will just ask. Are you gay, straight, bi?  Obviously, it doesn't matter to me. I just can't get a vibe from you in any direction. And, yes, you have the right to tell me to fuck off."

Jarod chuckled, "That answer would probably make the next 6 months a little awkward. I like to say I am fluid. I love the idea of love. Where I grew up that wasn't acceptable but my mom was more accepting that most. She could see I didn't fall into any category. But since we are being honest, I have dated women mostly and all my experiences have been with them."

"Well, I hope you find the right person someday."

"Since we are being open here, have you ever been with a woman?"  

Justin smiled at the memory, "Yes, once.  She is still my best friend."

"Oh, now that sounds like an uncomfortable situation."  

"It was but it isn't anymore.  Maybe that story can be another flight conversation, although it is actually kind of sweet."

"Hey, gentlemen."

Justin and Jarod had been so deep into their conversation they hadn't seen Dan coming their way.

"Hey, Dan, please don't tell me you saw Jarod do something that made you think he is going to be a threat."

Dan laughed.  "Not at all. Hey, Jarod."

Jarod stood and shook hands with him.   

"It looks like you two are getting along well. Justin, you asked what I observed? I saw a couple guys getting to know each other and not just on the surface.  I think you were being personal."

"He is scary, good." Justin chuckled.

Dan continued, "That is really actually a very good thing since you are going to be together a whle."

"Dan, I have a favor to ask.  I know I say that a lot to you but could you keep an eye on Brian. I know that sounds odd because Brian is a successful, grown man but he has been known to get distracted when I am not around or he can get overly focused on a project with no thought of his own wellbeing.  Brian is a lot of work! I just make it look easy!" All three men laughed at that.

"I will keep an eye on him. I can use a distraction myself right now."

Justin offered Dan some food but he had already eaten.  As the afternoon crept by Justin brought out some beer. None of them seemed to notice how the shadows had changed and evening was setting in.   

Brian arrived home from a very long day to hear laughter.  He came out of the pathway to see Justin, Dan, and Jarod sitting on their patio.  It looked like they may have been sitting there for a while. He was not in the mood to socialize.  He was not in the mood to share Justin with anyone tonight. Their time was precious right now.

"Well, looks like you threw a party without me." Brian leaned down and kissed Justin and walked into the house.

Justin heard the tension in Brian's voice. Was he just tired or could this get ugly? When Brian was in a mood you never knew what way he was going to react to anything. He excused himself and followed Brian in.

Brian was pouring some bourbon into a glass as Justin walked up.  

"Looks like you had a rough day."

Brian downed the bourbon in one swallow and poured himself another.  

"Why don't you come out and join us. We are just shooting the shit."

"Not in a chatty mood." Brian glared at the door. "You are going to be with him for 6 months.  He needs to be here now?"

Justin tried to kiss Brian but he shrugged him off. "Brian, give me five minutes to get rid of them." Justin made Brian look at him. "Please, don't do this tonight." Justin leaned in and kissed Brian tenderly. "I love you, baby, don't get like this tonight."

Justin walked out the door. The men were already up ready to go.  "Hey, guys, sorry to break up the party."

"Everything OK?" Dan looked at the door.

"It will be fine.  He is under so much stress right now. He didn't expect to come home to company."

Goodbyes were said and Justin wished Jarod a safe trip, saying he would see him in Columbus on Wednesday evening.

Justin took a deep breath and walked back into the house hoping Brian had heard him.  

Justin found Brian still standing in the same spot.  He was never one to run from a confrontation with Brian. He walked over to him.  He laid his hand on Brian's shoulder. "You OK?"

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin, pulling him close. "Sorry, still not in the mood to talk." He roughly took Justin's lips and words were no longer needed.  

As Saturday morning dawned Brian and Justin lay in each other's arms. Justin began waking but did his best not to wake Brian.  He knew Brian had had an extremely busy week at work and needed time to sleep. But watching the beautiful man sleep was too difficult.  His hand first brushed the hair out of Brian's eyes. As gently as he could he followed Brian's jawline. He then traced Brian's lips. It nearly killed him that he couldn't kiss them. How was he going to make it for weeks without seeing this man.  Without touching him. Without making love to him.

Justin shifted slightly and could still feel the effects of their love making last night.  Brian had no restraint. He hadn't been like that in, well, he couldn't remember when Brian was that rough. He just couldn't get enough and this morning Justin could feel the results.

He focused on Brian again.  His finger trailed down his long neck and onto his chest. It roamed down to his abdomen. Before he realized what happened his wrist was in a vice like grip. Brian guided the hand upward and languidly kissed the palm.  As his tongue and lips nibbled each digit Brian's other hand slipped to Justin's groin and gently took the already hard cock in his hand. He leaned forward and kissed Justin almost too gently, leaving Justin wanting more.

"Are you alright this morning?" I was a little rough on you last night.  

"I am a little sore but I will be fine."  

Brian kissed him a little more intently this time but now his lips started downward gently pushing Justin to his back. He savored Justin, knowing his taste so well.  He spent time at his navel, knowing the anticipation was building. He took both of Justin's hands and linked fingers with him. His mouth finally found what it was seeking. He took it in his mouth as gently as he possibly could. His tongue danced over its surface.

Justin's grip tightened on Brian's hands.  Brian than freed his hands and slid so his tongue could comfort the wounded area from last night. He ran his tongue around and then dipped in and out several times.  Justin was struggling to keep control.

"Brian, Baby, I …. can't...."

Brian's mouth again claimed Justin's penis just as Justin erupted in spasms. He lay his head on Justin's stomach while Justin's breathing went back to normal. It was then that Justin realized Brian was still without relief.

Justin kissed Brian deeply tasting himself as he did so. He reached down and started manipulating Brian with his hand and it didn't take more than a minute and Brian, too, was resting against his pillow.

"How are we going to do this? How are we going to be apart that long and not .... have this?"

Justin looked at Brian.  "Do you mean how are we going to survive without making love or without having sex?"

Brian was quiet as he thought that through.  "God, Sunshine. I really can't imagine being apart this long.  Making love with you is what I live for, what I breath for. I hope you know you are the only man I have ever made love to."

Justin thought about that for a minute and, yes, he did believe that. "I think we need to set some ground rules.  Brian, I don't expect you to go without sex while I am gone. In fact, that would kill you. But, Brian, never the same guy twice and never at our house.  I know you will use protection, you have always done that. And, Brian, no one we know."

Brian could see this was causing Justin pain. They hadn't had sex without the other one involved in well over a year. "Oh, Sunshine, he put his hands on either side of the face he loved.  I wish I could say I wouldn't have sex while you were gone but that isn't probable. And although you are a much better man than I am I don't think you would make it either." He kissed his love.  "Your rules are very fair. The only thing I want to add is, I don't want to hear about any of it. What you do and what I do will just be a physical thing to release our needs. Our love will never change."

They ended up making love once more, Brian treating Justin like it was his first time.

It was after noon when they stumbled out of the house and landed in the hot tub. They literally couldn't keep their hands off each other. The heat and motion of the water helped loosen up Justin's sore muscles.  They saw Dan pop in and out a couple times but he was keeping his distance to give them space this weekend.

As Justin lay in Brian's arms he started giggling.   

"What is so funny?"

"My stomach just growled.  I guess it isn't true that you can live on love. Food is also needed."

Justin jumped up and headed for the steps.  Brian swatted his perfectly shaped ass he climbed out.  Brian was right behind him.

After pulling on some shorts they headed downstairs again.  Obviously, they weren't going anywhere dressed the way they were.  "What are you hungry for?" Justin asked Brian. Noticing the gleam in Brian's eye, "That is off the table, for a couple hours anyway. Now what would you like to eat? We have left over pasta and salad from yesterday.  I could do some eggs and toast that would hold us over until dinnertime if we want to do something then."

"If I am not mistaken you would like me to take you out for dinner? Some place ridiculously romantic?"

Justin grinned from ear to ear and nodded his head.

"It is kind of late notice. You make us some lunch and I will make some plans. I will be back in 15."  Brian ran upstairs. He didn't have a lot of time and he was running through his options. One of his new clients was a trendy new restaurant.  He dialed the owner.

"Brian! Food is ready." Justin hollered up the stairs.

Brian bounded down the steps.  "8:30 pm be ready in your finest....wear one of those amazing new outfits I saw in the closet.  I know you bought them for the tour but I promise not to rip it off you."

Justin laughed, "Eat before the eggs are cold."

Neither of them cared what they did after eating.  As long as they were in contact with each other they were content. They ended up watching a movie they had seen 100 times.  Justin sat on the sectional with Brian's head in his lap. Justin played with his hair as they watched. Brian ran his hand up and down Justin's leg.  Brian turned his head and starting burying his head into Justin's crotch. Justin could feel the warmth and moisture of Brian's mouth.

"Brian, oh god, Brian." He could feel is erection growing.  

Brian slipped the shorts down enough to free Justin's hard on. He took Justin in his mouth for the second time today and Justin almost cried with the pleasure and the thought of leaving.

Justin kissed Brian and then after he sat up Justin got on the floor between Brian's legs, after slipping Brian's shorts down Justin took him all the way in his greedy mouth.

When the movie finished, Justin and Brian went upstairs to get ready. Justin looked at Brian, "Take you stuff and get ready in the spare room OK?"

Brian started protesting but then stopped.  It wasn't hard for him to do this for Justin.  

Brian grabbed his clothes and went in the other bedroom.   

30 minutes later Brian was standing outside their bedroom.  "Hey, Sunshine, are you about ready? We need to get moving.

From the other side of the door Justin replied, "Just head down I will be two minutes.

True to his word, Justin was at the top of the stairs two minutes later.  The artistic side of Justin did like a little dramatic flair once in a while.  Brian looked up and couldn't get his breath.

Justin was coming down the staircase.  He was stunning. He was wearing black slacks, a soft blue shirt, and charcoal color blazer. Every hair on his head was just where it should be.  

As Justin reached the bottom of the stairs Brian realized he hadn't been breathing. He took an intake of air. "Wow." Was all he could get out.

Justin stood at the bottom of the stairs. "Are you ready to go?"

"I'm ready to eat right here." He pulled Justin in his arms. "How can I let you go knowing you will look like this.  Other men are not going to be able to keep their hands off you."

"There may be a few women, too." Justin smirked at Brian. "I am ready for dinner."

There was a cab waiting for them when they came out of the gate.  When the cab stopped they were standing in front of the restaurant.  Walking into the entry there as an elevator which took them to the roof top. As they stepped out of the elevator everyone in the room was drawn to look at the couple that was coming in.  Justin's look was only emphasized by Brian's. Brian was wearing deep gray suit with a wine-colored dress shirt with a matching tie. The tie had pinstripes of pale blue which matched Justin's shirt. The air seemed to leave the room as they were led through the restaurant and out to a private dining area under the stars.  

Brian pulled out a chair for Justin, leaning down to kiss him as he sat down.  The maitre d pulled out Brian's chair and he sat down.

The server came up with a bottle of wine.  He could barely take his eyes off both of the men. He poured each of them a glass. He walked away.   

Brian looked at Justin, "I hope you don't mind. I told the chef to bring us something special rather than order from the menu. They interlocked fingers and sipped the wine.  Neither said much. They just looked into each other's eyes as they talked about unimportant things.

The first course was served and they ate it in near silence. When their plates were cleared away Justin heard some music coming from somewhere but he couldn't figure out where. Brian stood up and offered his hand to Justin.  Justin stood and was swept into Brian's arms.

♫You can dance ev'ry dance with the guy who gives you the eye, let him hold you tight. You can smile ev'ry smile for the man who help your hand 'neath the pale moonlight.  But don't forget who's taking you home and in whose arms you're gonna be. So Darlin', Save the last dance for me.♫

Justin melted into Brian's body. This was their song.  Although he didn't remember it they had danced to this at his prom. But he did remember dancing to it in the loft in Pittsburgh. Brian had thought of everything.

Justin pulled Brian's mouth down to his own. "I love you, Brian Kinney. More than even I can tell you. I can't live without you.  I will survive but not really live."

At that moment Brian picked up Justin and swung him gracefully in a circle. Brian claimed Justin's mouth and savored his lips. "I love you, too, Sunshine." The words were choked out softly.

As the music stopped Brian led Justin back to his chair.  The main course was brought out. They ate in near silence looking into each other's eyes.  "Um, what do you say we take dessert home?" Brian asked as he pulled Justin's hand to his lips.

"That might be the best idea I have ever heard!"

Tiramisu in hand, they headed to the elevator. Once inside, the doors closed and Justin pressed his body tightly against Brian's.  Brian flipped the setup and pinned Justin against the wall pressing his mouth hungrily to Justin's. He planted his right hand by Justin's left ear and with his left hand he grabbed Justin's crotch in desperation.  

As the elevator dinged and the doors slid open both men were straightening their clothes but their eyes were glazed over. They stumbled into the back of a cab and gave him the address. Although they did plenty of groping and kissing they refrained from anything more until they got home.   

By the time they arrived they had nearly driven each other over the edge.  They made it through the gate but didn't make it into the house. They fell to the ground in the garden and made love under the stars. They eventually got up, remembering the dessert that ended up sitting next to them, and strolled into the house.  They grabbed a bottle of wine, glasses, and two spoons as they headed up the steps.

Sunday, they spent the day in bed.  They got up to eat but they always ended back side by side in the bed.  They watched movies and made love. They talked and laughed, and they made love.  They sat in the garden with a glass of wine and went back to bed.

Monday brought back the real world and Brian's hectic schedule. There were meetings planned all day.   

Justin, on the other hand had very little to do.  He began packing his clothes. He reviewed the trips itinerary, making sure there was a copy for Brian, including hotels and galleries.  He made sure the times he planned to come home were marked clearly not to mention the weekend Brian promised to come to see him in Austin. He wrote several little notes he planned to hide around the apartment for Brian to find when he was gone.   

At 1:00 Justin went to Kinnetiks to have lunch with Daphne.  When he arrived, he popped into Brian's office but he was on the phone.  He gave him a quick kiss and mouthed he would see him after lunch.

"Where we going to eat, Daph?  It's on me. They headed to a little café around the corner.  After ordering, Justin started filling Daphne in on the weekend's events. He told her about the Saturday dinner.  "It was so amazing, Daphne. And he set it all up in 10 minutes. I never know how he does it but I am so glad he does."

They talked about Daphne and Gale's relationship. Justin was so glad Daphne finally found someone who seemed to be 'the one.'

"Hey, Daph, I think you need to know that Brian has my permission to sleep around while I am gone."

"WHAT! What are you talking about.  You two are a couple now. You don't do stuff without each other there."

"Daphne, I am going to be gone a majority of 6 months.  Brian can't be without sex that long. I know he loves me. He knows I love him but we set up guide lines that we are both going to live with and live by.  I just wanted you to know so if you get any whiff of Brian messing around in a hotel that it's ok. Trust me, you don't want to work with a celibate Brian."

Daphne sat quietly for a second.  "I guess I can see your point. But, Justin, are you sure you are ok with all this.?"

"I have to be.  I don't think I could go the whole trip without him either. I will only ever love Brian but, you know me, I need to fuck."

They finished their lunch and walked back to the office.  Justin again popped into Brian's office and he was again on the phone.  Brian held up a finger. A minute later Brian said, "Can you hold for a minute please?' He put the call on hold.   

"Hey, Sunshine, sorry it is chaos here today." He took him in his arms and kissed him.  "I will do my best to be home by," He looked at his watch. "I will be there by 7:00 at the very latest.  I will do my best to make it by 6. I will grab something to eat on my way home." He gave him one more kiss and went back to his phone call.

Justin walked into the lobby and said goodbye to Daphne.  He handed her a copy of the itinerary so she knew where he'd be too. "Daphne, keep an eye on him for me. Love you." He gave her a kiss and headed out the door.

Brian didn't make it home by 6. He didn't make it home by 7. At 8:15 he finally walked in the door.   He had a bouquet of flowers in one hand and Chinese in the other. Justin was watching TV. He glanced up as Brian walked in the door.  

"Hey." Justin went back to watching TV.

Brian dropped to his knees by Justin. "Sunshine, I am so sorry. Can you forgive me. I tried, I really did." He handed the bouquet to Justin. He leaned over to see what Justin's response was.   

Justin reached up and drew him close. "You are just lucky I am leaving town.  I am not going to waste the little time we have left. "

Brian grabbed chopsticks and Justin got some beer out of the fridge. They looked at each other and Brian looked at the stairs. They went upstairs.  After feeding each other and a couple beers Brian fell into bed and then into a deep sleep. Justin curled up next to Brian, kissed his cheek, and let the tears roll down his own. How was he going to do this?

When Justin woke up Brian was gone but there was a note on his pillow. It was an apology and a promise to be home on time tonight and that he would call.

Justin knew that was part of Brian.  He spent the day on the phone with Jarod.  They would barely get off and the phone would ring again with another question from the gallery.  By the fifth call they both just laughed. "I guess I should have just gone out with you. It's not like Brian is around anyway."  

At 3:00 pm Brian texted and said there was an issue with the account he was working on.  About 5:00 pm the phone rang. Justin saw it was Brian and really didn't want to answer it.

"Hey, Baby" Justin said softly.

"Sunshine, I'm so so so sorry. This campaign fell apart I need to get it back on track tonight or I will lose it.  I don't want to be anywhere but at home with you but I don't have a choice."

"I know this is important for your new office. I really do, Brian. So what time will you be home?"'

"I really don't know.  I don't want to promise anything. It could be late."  

"Wake me up when you get home. Love you!"

"I love you, too Justin!"

It was midnight before Bria got home.  He slipped into bed and wrapped his arms around Justin. "Hey, Sunshine, I'm home." He slipped his arms around him and pulled him close. "I am so sorry."  

Justin snuggled into Brian's embrace and fell right back to sleep.

About 3:00 am Justin woke up shaking again in a sweat.   

Brian woke, "You OK, sweetheart?"

"Just a dream.  I'll be ok."

Brian held him close and slowly and passionately made love to his Sunshine.

Brian was gone again in the morning. Justin spent an hour or so hiding the notes he had written for Brian.  He tucked one in between towels in the linen closet. Another one went in his underwear drawer. Some went in the kitchen and others in the office area.  And he left a special one on the pillow for him tonight.

Justin received confirmation that his flight was on time.  He tried to get Brian on the phone but he didn't answer. He left a message to call him back.  When he hadn't heard from him 15 minutes later he called Daphne.

"He has been on the phone all morning.  He really feels terrible. " Daphne said.  He barely gets off the phone and it rings again. Step in and see if he has a minute."

Justin walked in quietly to see Brian on the phone.  He walked over to Brian and wrapped his arms around his waist from behind. He kissed his neck and lay his cheek on Brian's back.

"Hold on." He set the phone down and collected Justin against him. "So this is it?"  

"Ya I need to get going. I am going to miss you more than I can even imagine." He gave Brian a kiss that said everything. It told of love and missing someone.

Brian's phone beeped. He leaned down and gave Justin one more quick kiss and he was back on the phone.

Justin walked out the door and was gone.