- Text Size +

Chapter 9


Dan had missed Brian while he was gone.  Although most of their activities meant Brian was drunk and sometimes high he liked being around him.  Brian had a good heart and a lust for life. He had an inner drive that Dan wasn’t quite sure how to categorize.  He was fairly sure it had to do with Brian’s family. He had heard bits and pieces of the dysfunction he lived through. He was on the lookout for something that would distract Brian.  Justin was still scheduled to be gone for another 3 months and that would mean a lot of partying in the future. Dan liked a good time as the next guy but when Brian partied he partied hard. Dan just wasn’t into that scene that much anymore.


After spending a week in Texas Brian felt rejuvenated except for the lonely place in his heart.  That was always there when Justin wasn’t around. He knew he needed to cut back on the drinking. He didn’t want to become his father. He also couldn’t let it affect his business.  He had worked too hard to get where he was in life to throw it away, especially over a skinny, blond boy. He smiled at the thought, the ‘skinny, blond’ who was his very reason to keep living.


Dan walked out of a grand old house with a smile on his face. He didn’t know what it would take but he was getting Brian Kinney to help him with this project. He thought about the two women he was just talking with.  He didn’t think Brian had any carpentry experience but he did and Brian could measure and learn to use a saw. He hoped he could anyway.


Dan arrived at his place ahead of Brian that evening.  He had bought two t-bone steaks, threw some baking potatoes in the oven, and threw some mushrooms and chopped onions in foil with butter to put on the grill with the steaks.  He finished by opening a bag of lettuce and having some dressing for it. Hopefully this would bribe him. Brian didn’t eat well when Justin was gone. He would get take out sometimes but sometimes he just drank his meal which is what Dan was trying to stop.


Half an hour later Brian came walking past and couldn’t resist the smell of the grilled meat.  “That smells amazing,” he walked over to the grill. The onions and mushrooms are what he was smelling.  The steaks were just hitting the rack now.


“Hope you don’t have plans. One of these is for you.”


“Sounds great!  What’s the occasion?”


“I just felt domestice, dear.” Dan and Brian both laughed. “And I have a proposition for you.”


“You do realize you used Domestic and Proposition in the same breath.  I didn’t think our relationship was going that way.” They both laughed again but this time there was a little bit of tension in the air.


There was no doubt the men found each other attractive and under other circumstances back in the day they would have fucked like rabbits.  But the relationship between Justin and Brian was stronger than any Dan had ever seen and he wasn’t willing to damage his friends’ relationship for a quick roll in the sack….even if it probably would be the best he had ever had.


“I’m going to go grab a beer,” Dan said.  You want one?


Brian gave him a look that said, ‘Now that is a stupid question.’  Dan went in and grabbed a couple cold ones and checked on the potatoes. As he came out he saw that Brian was on the phone.  It was quickly obvious it was Justin on the line. All he had to do was look at Brian’s face. It was a mix of love and longing all at once.


Justin and Jarod boarded the plane for Omaha.  Jarod grew up near Omaha and had lots of childhood memories of the area. The whole flight he went on and on about places to go.  He knew they were headed to the zoo for sure. It actually sounded like a lot of fun so Justin’s mood lifted some.


After checking into the hotel, Jarod and Justin parted.  Justin called Brian while Jarod called the gallery to hear the plans for the show here.


“Hey, Sunshine.  You still in Houston?


“No, we just landed in Omaha.  I hope a smaller location will mean less publicity.  We hope to do a couple fun things to relax while we are here.  Jarod says there is an amazing zoo there that we hope to visit.”

Brian hated that  ‘we’ didn’t include him. They spoke a few minutes longer.  “Sunshine, Dan just brought out our dinner.”


“OK, Brian.  I miss you so much.  It’s only been 2 weeks and And it is going to be at least 4 more weeks.  God, Baby. I love you.!”


“Love you too, Sunshine.”


Dan handed Brian a beer.  “How’s Justin doing? Where is he heading this week?


“He’s fine.  He is getting a little tired of all the press he has started attracting but Jarod is great company for him.”


Dan wondered if he heard a note of sarcasm there.  “So Jarod seems like he was a good fit. That’s good to know if I get another client that needs someone like this.”


Brian shrugged.  He had to admit that he was glad Jarod was there and that they had become close but that was also what bothered him.


“What aren’t you telling me?” Dan knew he was holding something back.


“Damnit!  He is the best thing that has happened to Sunshine since, well, maybe in his entire life.  They are great friends but I hate knowing that there is an attraction and even worse that I gave him permission to go ahead  if the situation occurred. If Jarod had been out for a while this wouldn’t be an issue but he is new. Justin is a sucker for helping people out.”  Both men laughed know it was true. Justin was such a caring person if he couldn't find the right person for Jarod he would have to do it.


The men sat down to eat their dinner.  As they ate Brian spoke, “Thanks for dinner.  This is amazing but what’s going to cost me.”


“What do you mean, cost you?  Do you think I will charge for the meal?” Dan smiled.


“Just get the hell on with it.  What are you up to?”


“Well, today I looked at a house that could be my biggest commission ever.  It is amazing. The couple who own it are great. “

“But?”


“But the house needs work and if I do it myself I will get a bigger payout.”


“And?


“I am going to need a couple extra hands.”


“You want me to help you with home repairs? Have you ever seen me hold a hammer? A screwdriver? A gratchet?”

“What the hell is a gratchet?


“Never mind.  What I am saying is I am not the handyman kind of guy.”


“Oh, come on, Brian.  I know you can measure and you can learn to run a saw.”


“Are you serious?” Brian was thinking about it.


“Brian, you need a distraction. Your drinking is out of control.   I need an extra pair of hands. You can quit anytime if you want to wimp out.”


“You are going to love this couple.  They have to be nearly 80 and have lived in the same place about 50 years.  Melody and Linda need to move into a smaller place. They can’t handle the 3 stories anymore. If we do a few minor things they will get a much better price.”


“Ok, ok.  I am promising you absolutely nothing but….you’re right.  I need something to do.” Brian put out his hand, “Deal?”


“Deal.” Dan smiled


Jarod knocked on Justin’s door and Justin let him in.  


“So, I have some good news and some bad news.”


“Just tell me all of it.”


“Bad news first.  You have an interview at a TV station tomorrow morning early.  Now before you whine,” Jarod looked over at Justin who pulled a face. “The news outlets are going to have a preview of the show but you don’t need to be there and they are not having a press conference so you don’t need to be there. And the best news,” He held up his left hand. “ Tickets for the Zoo.”  


Justin had to smile.  He had never seen Jarod so animated.  “Ok, I guess I can deal with one TV reporter.”


“Did I forget to mention it is an Art Critic?”


“Ya, you left that out.  Do I get to preview the questions? Is he going to ambush me?”


“I am working on that.  Or I will at least find out what his opinion is ahead of time.”


Justin felt like he needed a little support right now so wrapped his arms around Jarod who, in a natural response, hugged him back. After a couple minutes Justin backed off. “Thanks, I needed that.”

“Anytime.” Jarod replied.  “This hanging with you thing for a fledgling gay is great.”  They both started laughing.


The next morning Jarod arrived at Justin’s room early to take him to the TV station. On the way Jarod filled him in on what he found out about the critic.   It was a fair guy who didn’t bully anyone. He asked good questions and seemed to care about the artists.


“What’s his name again?”


“Larry Morgan.”

Larry was a great guy.  He was truly interested in Justin’s work and his motivation.  He got personal but not too personal. He asked some basic questions about his life and Brian but focused on his art. Justin wished Jarod had made it in time to watch from the studio but he had gotten delayed and would wait in the control room.  


Throughout the interview Justin thought there was something familiar about Larry even though he obviously hadn’t met him before.  Maybe it was because he felt they had some things in common.


After the interview, the men shook hands.  Larry asked, “Do you have plans tomorrow for dinner? I have plans tonight but I would love to continue our conversation.  Your work really fascinates me.”


“I would enjoy that.  Oh, my assistant will be joining us.  I am sure you know I have had some trouble in my past so Jarod serves as my assistant/bodyguard/ friend.”


“That would be great.”  They exchanged information and would connect tomorrow for a late dinner.



Brian and Dan headed to their new adventure on Saturday morning.  They arrived at a magnificent old home. Justin had seen some of these and had been in a couple that were owned by clients but none that were this grand. Dan rang the bell.  After a few moments the door was opened by a tall, well dressed, elderly, woman.


“Dan, how nice to see you.  This must be your friend, Brian, you told us about. Please come in, come in.”


“You look lovely today, Linda.” Dan kissed her cheek.


From the left a voice interrupted. “Dan, you are such a kiss ass.”


Dan started laughing. “Good morning to you, too, Melody. I would like you to meet Brian Kinney. Brian, this is Linda and Melody.”


Linda looked at Brian and then at Melody, “You know Mel, if I hadn’t been with you all these years I might have gone for a gentleman like Mr. Kinney here.” She walked over to give Brian a hug in greeting. Has anyone ever told you, you are a real looker? Now, Dan, you are a good looking man, too, but I was always attracted to dark hair.  That is one of the reasons I fell in love with Mel.”


“You fell in love with me because I could make you orgasm more than any other woman you had been with, Lindz.”

Brian couldn’t control himself.  “Mel and Lindz. Seriously?” After Brian stopped laughing, he said, “I apologize but one of my best friends back in Pittsburgh is named Lindsey and her partner is Melanie. Actually, Lindz is the mother of my son.”

“Ooo, I might have enjoyed that,” Linda said.  


Dan  was chuckling.  “Ladies, I think I am going to take Brian upstairs and show him what we are going to be working on.” The men walked up the stairs into anything but a small job.


“Dan, are you crazy? You said a small job. This is going to take years.”


“We aren’t doing it all.  We are doing some of the small side things and then a crew will be able to come in and go straight to the big stuff.”


“Dan, I don’t know….. But I guess I am willing to try.”


The men spent the day doing mostly demolition. Brian had to admit that it was fun and a great way to work off frustration.  After several hours Brian heard someone behind him.


“Well, hello, Miss Melody,” Brian purred to  the older woman.


“Shut up, Kinney. I brought you some lunch. Figured that was one way for it to get quiet.”


Dan and Brian had to smile. Dan hadn’t seen Brian this focused and relaxed in months and he will be too tired to do much tonight.


By the end of the day the men said goodbye to the ladies and headed home where they shared a pizza and crashed.



Justin and Jarod had been playing it low key in Omaha.  There dinner with Larry had gotten postponed until Sunday and got switched to lunch.  Today was their zoo day. Jarod’s excitement had definitely rubbed off. Justin was excited too.  They spent the day going from one exhibit to another. They went to the rainforest and and laughed at the golden tamarin playing on the trees.  They watched the penguins as the slid off the ice and swam through the water. Then they went through the desert dome and saw all the little creatures skittering around. And that was only the beginning.  When they were slumping a bit they took a train ride around the park.They spent time watching the sea lions and laughing at their antics. At one point they were laughing so hard they had hang onto each other to stay standing.


They ended their day watching the big cats.  They were so beautiful. One of the older tigers attracted them.  He may not have been as majestic as some of them but he had character.  He would watch them as they walked. Justin finally dipped down out of his view and popped back up.  The tiger jumped in surprise. Soon it was obviously a game.


“I hate to leave our new friend but we have got to get back to the hotel and clean up before show.


They headed for the car. When they got there Justin looked at Jarod and said, “Thank you! That was about the best time I have ever had, outside of the bedroom.” Jarod laughed as Justin gave him a big smacking kiss. Jarod grabbed him and swung him around giving him a quick kiss i as he returned him to the ground.  


“I told you it would be an amazing day.”


Returning to the hotel they got ready for the gallery, a little sunburned, but in a great mood.


On Sunday, Jarod and Justin drove to the address they were given.  They pulled up to very unique house. It fit an art critic. Both Justin and Jarod were standing there just gawking at the outside when the door opened.


“Gentlemen, I am so glad we could finally make this work.” Larry gave Justin a hug and kiss.  That was all Justin needed to know that his hunch was right. Larry was definitely gay. “Larry, I would like you to meet Jarod. He is a good friend of mine.”


“Sorry if it is none of my business but this isn’t the gentleman we talked about in the interview, is it?  This is your bodyguard, correct?


“Yes, sir.”


“Oh, please, I feel old enough.the way it is. It’s Larry.”


The men had an enjoyable lunch. Larry and Jarod hit it off immediately.  Jarod had many things in common with Larry. At first Justin thought it was because Jarod was from the area, but as time went on Justin noticed too many similarities.  They made similar gestures and their voice tone was similar. Justin needed to get Jarod out of here and have Dan do some research for him.


“Larry, thank you so much for lunch but we should probably get going. I need a little time before the show tonight.”  Goodbyes were said and a promise to try to get together sometime before the left. Maybe lunch next Sunday was thrown out there.


Justin was very quiet on the ride back.


“Are you feeling OK?  You were kind of quiet this afternoon.”

“I just have a bit of a headache.  That’s all.”


When they arrived back at their rooms, Jarod followed Justin in.  


“Have a seat. Let me see if I can help with that headache.”  Jarod made slow circular motion on Justin’s temples and then massaged his scalp and the back of his neck,


“Jarod, that feels amazing.” It was helping the tension that had built up throughout the afternoon.


Justin’s head lolled back as he actually relaxed. For a second he thought Jarod was going to kiss him but they both realized it and Jarod stepped back.  


“I better let you get ready.”


“Ya, I better give Brian a call too.  I haven’t talked to him in a while.”


As soon as Jarod left Justin grabbed his phone.  “Dan, I need you to do something for me.”


“You’re looking for Brian?”


“Well, I do want to talk to him but I need to talk to you, too.” Justin explained what he thought he had found out. “Dan, do you think you can do a little investigating?”  Dan agreed and passed his phone to Brian.


“Hey, Sunshine.  Should I worry you are calling the neighbor before me?”  Justin could hear the humor in his voice.


“Baby, i am so sorry.  We have just been crazy busy.”


“Again with the we.  I thought we was you and me.  Lately we doesn’t include me.”  There was silence for a few seconds. “I am sorry, Sunshine.  I just miss you so much and all I hear is we, we, we.”


“It seems to me that you ?”


“Well, you didn’t return my call yesterday and right now I am talking to you on Dan’s phone! I can’t remember the last time I talked to you in waking hours that you aren’t with him. Not to mention that Daphne happened to mention you had taken a couple days off to do a project with Dan. Well, don’t let me take up any more of your time, Mr. Kinney.” And Justin hung up.


To say the least, the next few days were hard on everyone in Brian and Justin’s world. Brian split his time between the office and Dan.  Daphne actually hoped he didn’t come in by Wednesday.

Jarod wasn’t sure what to do to help Justin.  One moment he was smiling and talking to buyers but the next he was giving orders to an assistant.  Justin was never short with anyone but now he prefered to ignore them altogether. Saturday Jarod received a call from Larry about getting together on Sunday. Justin hadn’t returned his call.


Justin had gotten a call from Larry but hadn’t returned it yet.  He needed to talk to Dan and figure this out before responding.


Justin called Dan. “Did you find out anything?”


“Justin your instincts were right.  I am 99% sure that Larry Morgan is Jarod’s father.”


“I knew it.  I was hoping I was wrong but I knew it.  Now I wonder if Larry knows it.”


“I don’t think so, Justin.  I think it was all a coincidence.”

“Shit, what do I do now? I have to tell Jarod. Thanks, Dan.  I will figure something out.”


“Justin, do you want to talk to Brian.  He’s in the other room. We have been working on a projects for a couple nice old munchers.  I pulled him in because….”

“Dan, I am glad you are watching out for him.  I can tell he isn’t drinking as much the last couple weeks and thank you for that but …. Never mind.  I have to get to the gallery. Thanks again.”


“Are you going to talk on the phone all day or show me how to put this piece up the right way?” Dan walked over to check out the progress Brian had made.  He was actually doing quite well. Brian looked over at Dan, “It was him, wasn’t it?”


“Yes, it was.  And if you weren’t so damn stubborn you’d call him and apologi…”

“Apologize for what? I didn’t do anything.”


“Did he do anything?”


“No.”


“Then suck up your pride and call him.  He is going through a very tough time and being able to talk to you I am sure would make it easier on him but your asinine pride gets in the way,”


“I just don’t know if I can go through another ‘we’ conversation. We did this.  We went there…..”


Dan walked over to his friend and took him in his arms.  For a moment Brian tried to fight him but then he gave in. He clung to Dan and cried in his arms.


Brian calmed himself down. “I am going 2 see if the ladies have anything to drink down there. I know I know I shouldn't be drinking I just need something.”


“ This might be one time I agree with you, Brian. I am sure those ladies have something down there for you. I am just going to finish up this bit and then we will head home.”


After spending so many hours in this house Brian felt comfortable going back to the kitchen by himself. He opened the fridge and found a beer. He turned and was about to open it when he heard a voice saying, “You look like you could use something stronger than that.”


He looked and found Mel standing in the door. The older woman had a bottle of Jack in her hand and was taking two glasses out of the cupboard. She poured him one and handed it to him. She gestured for him to have a seat and took the one across from him.

“So spill it. It is so obvious you have a problem. Could it be that absent boyfriend?”


Brian drink down the first glass and held it up for a refill. “ Yeah, it is. There really isn't anything anyone can do about it. He has just been gone too long! How long have you and Linds been together? I think you said 50 years or more. Justin and I have basically been together for 6. We've had our time apart but we have never been away from each other as much as we have been in the last 4 months. I feel like part of me is missing.”


“ So what has your dick in a knot now? What changed that got you in this mood?”


“He has gotten very close with his bodyguard. They have become very close and it just kills me that he is with him not me.”

“So are they screwing? “


“Not that I know. And I told him if he did it was okay.”


Mel looked at him like he was crazy. “ Let me get this straight, the man you love is spending day and night with the man you are jealous of and you tell him he can have fuck him?”


“Well, there are extenuating circumstances. But basically yes.”


“Brian, I know we don't know each other well and we haven't known each other long. I can tell you love that man. I can't imagine ever having been apart from Linds that long. What kind of tour is he on? What is this man's name?”


“ He is an artist. Actually at this point he is becoming quite famous. His name is Justin Taylor.”


“Are you shitting me? I have been following his work since the first time I saw one of his pieces years ago when he was still in high school I think. We never have talked about it but I taught art and I was speaking at a conference in Pittsburgh several years ago. A friend and colleague took me to an art show at the gay and lesbian center there. I was astounded that someone so young could catch expressions and emotions as well as he did. There was one sketch of his lover laying in... That was you!” Mel chuckled. “ I remember thinking that he must really love that man just from the lines on the paper.”


After refilling Brian's glass again she commented, “I bet you have been doing far too much of this while he's away.” Mel held up the bottle. “I know it's softens the pain but it doesn't fix anything. I'm guessing that's why Dan has been bringing you with him.”


“I'm going to give you some advice whether you want it or not. Wait for that young man! He will come back to you. He is an artist and we are a fickle bunch. Whether  something happens with this bodyguard or not from what I can tell he will come back to you, to be with you, because he loves you. I would bet you haven't been all that faithful to him while he's been gone all this time. Just let him know how much you love him and that you are waiting for him when he gets back.”


At that moment Dan appeared from upstairs. Hey, Brian are you ready to go? Hi, Mel. I hope you don't mind me sending Brian down to get a refreshment. It looks like he may have had a few.”


“Daniel, don't you dare badger that man. He is a man who misses his love. Someone that can love that hard can’t be all bad.  Even if he is an idiot,”Under her breath she mumbled, “Giving him permission to screw someone else.” She shook her head.


Brian stood on shaky legs touching the table to balance himself. Mel stood and walked over to where he was standing. She put her arms around his neck and pulled his head near her lips. “Not many of us are lucky enough to find that one person, Brian. Be patient and just love him.” With that she gave him a kiss and walked away.


Dan put a steadying hand on Brian’s arm.  “Let’s head home.” As they rode home Dan looked at Brian.  “I never thought I would hear Melody talk to like that. She was almost kind.”


Brian smiled a bit starting to fade a bit after drinking as much as he did as fast as he did. “Mel always can be a surprise.”



Justin wanted to talk to Brian.  He would know how to handle this situation but the last thing Brian wanted to do was hear more about Jarod.  Jarod would be the other person he would go to if it didn’t affect his whole life.


“Hey, Justin, can I come in.” Jarod was knocking at the adjoining door.


Justin adjusting the worried look on his face and said, “Sure, Jarod, come on it.”


“Hey, just wanted to let you know you don’t have to call Larry back. I just talked to him and we set up lunch for Sunday again.  I really like that guy. I enjoy spending time with him even if he is a lot older.”


Justin caught himself before letting his expression turn to horror. “Oh, that’s great.  Ya, I got distracted. Thanks for taking care of that. Could you give me maybe half an hour and then I will be ready to head out to whatever you have planned for us today. I promised I’d call my mom.”


“That sounds good.  I don’t have anything big going on.  I thought we could walk around the Old Market area for a while and then eat somewhere before heading to the gallery.  You will love it down there. There are a lot of artist’s shops.”


Justin did call Jennifer.  He needed to talk to someone he trusted. “Justin, it is so good to hear your voice.  You are making quite a name for yourself on this trip. I am so proud of you!”


“Hey, Mom.”

That was all Justin had to say.  “What’s wrong? I can hear it in your voice.  Everything is ok with you and Jarod, isn’t it?”


That was all it took to have Justin crumble into sobs.


“Oh, honey, what is it?  What’s wrong?”


“Everything is wrong. I know the tour is going well but that’s all that is.  Brian is barely talking to me and now I can’t talk to Jarod about a major issue.”


“Ok, let’s take this one issue at a time.” Jennifer took control. “What happened with you and Brian?”


“Nothing.  That’s just it.  I can’t fix it because there really isn’t something to fix,  We just need to be together.”


“You two always did need to be with each other, Justin.  You will just need to call and talk even if it is about something unimportant.  You just need to hear each other’s voices and in a couple weeks you are going home, right?”


“Ya, you’re right but the other problem is even worse.”  Justin explained the situation with Jarod and finding his father.


“Oh, Justin, you do need to tell him.”

“I know that but do I tell him before or after we go on Sunday?”


“Wait until you are out of Omaha.  Then he can think about how he wants to handle it without the man being nearby. And by the way, Tuck and I are coming to Chicago to see the show so if you want to wait until then we will be around.”


That was just what he needed to hear. “You’re really coming?” He didn’t realize how much he missed his mom until that moment. “I can’t wait to see the two of you! You just made a rough week better.  Love you, Mom.”


“I love you too, Justin.”


Justin let out a long sigh.  He could do this. At least Larry was a very nice guy and Jarod really did like him.


Brian couldn’t believe he was saying this but Mel made sense. He looked at his watch trying to figure out with the time difference what would be a good time to call Justin. He had a feeling he wouldn’t get him now but he could still call and leave a message.  He wouldn’t be at the gallery yet. He pushed the icon on his phone and waited.


“Hello,” Justin answered but Brian could hardly hear him over the sound of other voices.


“Hey, Sunshine.”


“Give me a second.  I can hardly hear you.” Brian could hear walking and then the din quieted. “Hello? You still there?”


“I’m here, Sunshine.” Brian wanted to crawl through the phone to see his face, to kiss his lips.


“Sorry, I am on a foot bridge crossing the Missouri.  Reception is horrible.”


“Justin, I ….”


“Brian, I really can’t hear  you. We were just heading out to the gallery.  I will call you tomorrow late afternoon, ok? Love you.”  Before Brian could say anything the phone was dead.


The hell with it, he thought. He sent a message to Dan.  ‘I am going out tonight, with or without you. Are you coming with me?’


When Dan got the text he knew something had happened.  When was Justin getting back? Brian was exhausting! He called Brian back. “Hey, Brian. What’s up?”

“Are you coming with me?” There was no pleasantries in his voice.  There was nothing that made it sound like this would be a fun evening.


The night went like many of the previous weekends.  They ended up at the hotel but Brian hadn’t settled for one but took three men to the hotel with him.  Dan could actually hear the party through the wall. It didn’t quiet down until after 6 and he was fairly sure there was still someone with him in the morning. Brian was hitting bottom and quickly.  At least he still seemed enjoy the remodeling project. He was going to have to get him more involved the next week until Justin came home.


Justin wished he could have gotten a clearer signal.  He could call now but it would be rushed and he wanted a quality conversation with him.  Tomorrow afternoon after lunch at Larry’s he would have time before going to the show. He really did want to tell Brian all about the day at the zoo and especially about the Larry and Jarod. Only a couple more nights in Omaha.  He had really enjoyed it here. It was probably because Jarod had enjoyed himself so much and he knew the best things to do for fun. If it wasn’t for this thing with Larry it would have been nearly stress free.


Sunday dawned cooler and rainy.  It was a nice change since it had been so warm.  They were expected at Larry’s at 11:00. Justin lay in bed thinking what fun it would be if Brian was here.  The soft sound of rain and his sore heart needed to talk to him. Why wait until this evening. He called Brian’s phone. Calculating it was about 9 over there, he thought Brian was probably still sleeping.


Just when he was ready to leave a message a strange voice picked up. “Mr. Stud’s phone.  Jimmy speaking.” A breathless voice said. The background noise made it obvious what was going on.


Justin heard Brian’s voice, “Give that to me.”


“Ya. This is Brian.”


“Sorry, obviously I caught you in the middle of someone.”  Justin tried to control his response. “I will call you around 5:00.”  And he hung up. He knew he had no right to be upset. Brian was not breaking any of their rules but that didn’t make it any less painful. His heart had never hurt to badly as it did right now.  He knew it wasn’t all Brian’s fault. It was this separation. Seeing each other for a few days every six weeks was killing them both. He needed to figure out a way to get out of this contract.  Well in 2 weeks he would be going home for a couple days again. At least maybe they could patch up a few holes that were growing between them.


As much as he fought it, he laid on the bed and sobbed.   After 15 minutes Justin pulled himself together and got in the shower. He had to look human by 10:30.


Jarod had tried knocking on the adjoining door and there was no answer.  He tried the nob and it opened. “Hey, Justin, you in here?”


Just then Justin exited the bathroom with only a towel draped over his shoulder. Jarod took a quick intake of air. Justin was so beautiful and right now he looked so vulnerable.  Without thinking he closed the gap between them and took Justin in his arms and held his naked body close to him.


“What’s wrong, Honey, what happened?”


That is all it took for Justin to start crying again.  After telling him the whole story Justin looked into Jarod’s eyes.  “He didn’t do anything wrong. He did what I told him to do. He did it because of me but that doesn’t make it easier.”


As the tears quieted Jarod smoothed his hair and kissed the top of his head. He then kissed Justin’s tear streaked cheeks and then landed on Justin’s mouth. He wanted to kiss his friend’s pain away.   In Justin’s state of undress it was obvious the effect it had on Justin. The kiss deepened and so did Justin’s need.


Jarod pulled himself together and separated from Justin.  “Um, think you can be ready at 10:30?’


“Sure,” was Justin’s reply.


“I will see you outside the door then.” And Jarod slipped back into his room.



At 10:30 they met outside their rooms. There was definitely an odd tension between them but they were both grown men and could get over it.  The moment had passed and they would move on.


Jarod soon relaxed and was very light hearted thinking about spending a day with Larry.  Justin wondered what his mood would be if he knew the truth. He had made it clear he was not interested in finding his father so how would he feel about this was difficult to guess.  It helped he liked the man and it was obvious Larry was gay so who knows what happened. Only Larry could answer those questions.


Jarod was talking more than usual and Justin was quiet.  “You Ok?” Jarod finally asked.


“It was just a hard morning. I am going to apologize in advance.  I am afraid I am not going to be fun to be around in the next couple weeks. Unless something changes with Brian it is going to be a long couple weeks. I wish I could just go home and clear the air before it gets worse.”


Jarod reached over and squeezed his hand.  “You’ll make it. I’m here for you.”


That might be what worried him the most.


It had continued to rain throughout the morning.  When they arrived, they dashed to the house and rang the bell.  Larry opened the door almost immediately. “Come in out of the rain. I know a lot of people don’t care for this kind of weather but I have to admit, I love it.  Nothing better than to curl up with a good book or a moved you want to watch. And better yet with someone you love. How is your love, Justin?”


“He is fine.  We both just really miss each other. In a couple weeks I plan to fly home for a few days.”


“And, Jarod, what will you do while Justin is back home?”

“I will be at  the show in Chicago. It seems like there is always something to deal with.”


“Please come out to my favorite room of the house.  It was too hot to be out here last week when you were here.”

They entered a beautiful screened in porch area. The sound of the rain was clear above them and a cooling breeze moved over them.


Justin was immediately taken in by peace he felt. “I think I would live in this room alone if I owned this place.”  


Jarod agreed and began looking at some of the art and decor that was sprinkled throughout the room.  

Just then the door opened and brunch was served.  At one end of the porch there was a small eating table that they were directed to sit around.


I  know it might be a little tight but I didn’t want to waste this lovely day.” Jarod and Justin agreed.


Justin listened most of the time as Larry and Jarod talked.  They really did have a lot in common. They enjoyed the same kind of movies.  They liked the same kind of music. And they liked the same art. After the long leisurely brunch Jarod asked, “Do you mind if I look around?  You have so many beautiful thing.”


“Feel free and don’t be afraid to touch. Art was made to experience.”


Jarod smiled, “My mom used to say that.”


Justin caught his breath. He was getting nervous.  Could he say he didn’t feel well and get him out of there?  


Justin and Larry chatted about Justin’s approach to art and where he planned to go next with his work.


Out of the corner of his eye, Justin noticed Jarod had stopped moving and was focused on something on a shelf. “Um, Larry?  Where did you get this?” He held up a very small but beautiful painting that had been on the shelf.”


“You do have good taste, Jarod.  A dear, dear friend of mine painted it.  She had real talent but chose to use it to teach rather than focus on her own work.”


Justin saw where this was heading.  He walked to Jarod’s side. He was interested in seeing the painting but he was more interested in being near his friend as he could sense he no longer was in control of when Jarod would find out the truth.


“But, why didn’t we ever meet?  How did you know my mother?” Justin put a hand on Jarod’s shoulder.


Larry now closed the space between them.  The look on his face said it all. “Jarod,” came out in a whisper.”I never thought I would meet you. Just the name should have gotten me thinking. You said your mom was a teacher.”


Jarod’s voice was a little more demanding. “How did you know my mother?”


“We met in college.  She had talent. I had an eye for talent.  We became quick friends. We became close. We actually stayed close.  Jarod, I should have seen it. You look just like her. And like me.”


Jarod physically stumbled backward as if he had been hit. Justin wrapped an arm around his waist.  “What are you saying?”


“Jarod, I am your father.”


Justin helped Jarod to the couch. He walked to Larry and said something very quietly to him. Larry nodded and left them alone.


“Jarod, are you alright?”


Jarod nodded in response. “Why don’t you seem surprised? Did you know? Did you know and not tell me?” His voice was getting louder and higher.


“Jarod, take a deep breath.” He did. “Now another one.” Justin repeated this a couple more times.  By now Jarod was just listening to the sing song voice Justin was using. “Better?”


Jarod nodded.  “I just found out late yesterday.  I was planning on telling you but I thought maybe coming here today without knowing might be best.  I thought you would have a chance to get to know him without, “ He hesitated, “without knowing he was your father. I saw several similarities when we were here last week so I had Dan do some background for me. I know you had no interest in learning your father’s identity but some things just happen.  If you want to leave right now and never see him again, that is your choice. If you want to stay and talk to him that is Ok too.”


“Right now I just need to get out of here.”


“Ok, Jarod, we can go back to the hotel.” He walked him to the car and said he would be right back.  He let Larry know someone would be in contact with him later. He understood giving Justin a quick hug and telling him to take care of Jarod.  


Justin drove them back to the hotel and opened Jarod’s room.  It was still raining out so Justin helped him get off his wet shirt and pants pulling the blankets back and guiding him into bed.


It was his turn to kiss Jarod on top of the head and said, “I will be right back.” He ducked in his room leaving the door open so he could hear Jarod.  I minute later he returned in dry gym shorts and a T Shirt. He slid into bed next to Jarod and enfolded him in his arms. Jarod didn’t cry. He just asked a jumble of questions Justin didn’t know the answers too.  He didn’t really want the answers; He just needed to talk. He needed to have something to do. As words started failing him he looked at Justin.


Without a word Justin leaned over and kissed him.  Jarod needed to feel something. Justin deepened the kiss taking it beyond anything they had shared in the past. Justin slipped his hand in the waistband of Jarod’s shorts and pulled them off. He now lay there naked. Justin had to admire his body.  Jarod was in amazing shape and the man was bigger than most when it came to his cock. Justin continued to kiss him and started trailing his fingers along the muscles on his chest. As Justin’s hand went below his navel and then entwined in his pubic hair.  He tugged at it gently making Jarod groan.


“God, Justin, don’t stop. Please, you can’t stop.”


Justin’s mouth followed his hand lower and lower. As he took Jarod in his mouth he was afraid Jarod was going to lose it right then. He backed off a bit.


“Jarod, roll over.” Jarod followed the directive.


Justin’s hands and tongue covered his entire broad back.  He then started at the base of Jarod’s neck and started dragging his tongue ever so slowly down Jarod’s spine.  As he got lower he stopped for a moment. “Jarod, I don’t want to surprise you with anything today. I am going to rim you now.  Just relax. Everything will be easier on you if you can stay relaxed.”


Justin slid his tongue down still farther until he was probing slowly, intimately into Jarod.  Jarod made a sound that was like nothing Justin had heard before. He wondered if Jarod was crying now. He could understand if he was.  After Jarod had relaxed some Justin had him turn over. He kissed Jarod and looked him in the eyes. He said, “Are you ready for this? You don’t have to.”


“Yes, I want you.  I want you to be the first.” With that Justin slipped on a condom and used plenty of lube on them both.  “Now remember the more you can relax the less it will hurt.”

Justin applied steady pressure and slowly entered Jarod.  Justin watch Jarod’s reaction to judge when he needed to stop or slow down.  “Jarod, are you ok?” He nodded in response. Justin pushed the rest of the way in. Soon he was in a steady rhythm and he was sure Jarod wouldn’t last much longer. He leaned over and kissed him with all his heart.  “Jarod, I do love you.” With that Jarod let out a low guttural response and had an earth shattering orgasm. Justin immediately followed.


Jarod fall asleep and Justin made a call to the gallery saying they wouldn’t be there tonight due to a family emergency. Justin crawled into bed with Jarod and wrapped him in his arms. He then joined Jarod in sleep.  They woke up late afternoon.Justin let Jarod know they weren’t done for the evening. He started kissing Jarod again but encouraged Jarod to take more of the lead. Jarod explored Justin’s body and soon both men were again in need of release. Justin reached down and surprised him by putting the condom on Jarod.  ‘


“You aren’t going to hurt me, Jarod.  You don’t need to worry about going slow.  Trust me, I can take it.” To make it easier Justin got on all fours. There was less skill level this way.  No one had to worry about where legs were. Jarod entered him and quickly got into a rhythm and they came together.


They lay on the bed looking at the ceiling. Justin reached over and took Jarod’s hand.  “You know, I did mean it. I love you. Not in the way I love Brian but I have never felt this way with anyone else.  I hope this doesn’t change our friendship. Justin kissed him once more and went to his room.


Monday was the last day in Omaha. Justin tried to get Brian on his cell several times but Brian never picked up.  He finally called the office and got ahold of Daphne.”Is Brian there?”

“I don’t think you want to talk to him.  He isn’t in the mood to talk to anyone right now..”

“Has he been drinking already?”

“That’s the scary part.  I think he is sober. Do you have any idea why he is in such a fowl mood?


“Ya, it is probably my fault. Daphne, can you please get him to pick up the line?  Even if you have to lie?”


“You owe me bigtime! Hold on.”


30 seconds later Brian’s icy voice came on the line. ‘Hello.”


“Hi, Baby.  I am so sorry I didn’t get back to you yesterday. There was a crisis over here. Did Dan tell you we ran into Jarod’s father?”


“Yes, he did.” was Brian’s curt response.  


“He stumbled across the truth when we were at Larry’s yesterday. Can you imagine the shock? He couldn’t function last night.  I spent the entire day with him trying to get him to reconnect with his own feelings.”


“And how did you do that, Justin?”


It was like Brian knew instinctively they had been together. “You’re right.  We did sleep together but it isn’t going to happen again. It was a one time thing.”


“Ok, Justin.  You said you would tell me when you screwed him.  You kept your promise. Now, I have work to do.” And he was gone.


Justin’s heart felt like it had been removed from his chest and been stomped on.


Jarod and Justin  didn’t see each other most of the day but did spend the evening at the gallery.  On the way back to the hotel Jarod cleared his throat. “Justin, I just want to thank you.  I don’t know what I would have done yesterday without you. I could never have asked for a better friend.   I talked to my dad today. That sounds weird. We are going to get to know each other and see where it takes us.”


“Jarod, that’s great. I am so glad.”


“I really don’t know what I would have done last night if you hadn’t taken charge. But I also know it isn’t going to happen again.  It can’t. It would be wrong.”


And with that the subject was closed.



After the phone call, Daphne avoided Brian as much as she could.  She had never seen him like this. Even when Justin had a short fling in college Brian hadn’t reacted like this.  He wasn’t drinking now. He was just unbearable. She never thought she would miss drunk Brian but she had almost carried a bottle of Jack into his office.  She knew he was leaving here and heading to the building project with Dan most nights until late. The two ladies that lived there were out of town for a couple weeks to they had started working until all hours.


Justin and Jarod had moved on to Chicago.  This was a three week stay so it could tie into another art event in the city.  At the end of the stay here Justin was supposed to fly back home for a few days.  At this point Justin hadn’t bought his tickets yet. Brian had barely spoken to him.  They did talk every couple nights because there was a need inside both of them to connect, even if it was to just listen to the other breath.  The last call Justin had melted down telling Brian he needed him desperately but he wasn’t making the trip if Brian didn’t want him there.


Dan and Daphne were both getting worried.  They were sure Jarod was dealing with the same type of emotional swings with Justin and Jarod had heavy stuff himself to deal with. Somehow they needed to get them locked in a room together and not let them out until they had spent days in bed together.  


In the evenings at least  Brian wasn’t drinking. He actually seemed to find a small amount of peace being involved with this old house.  They had cancelled the professionals for most things and with Dan’s skill had made great progress. This week they were working on the staircase area.  They had used a couple step ladders with a board securely across to gain the upper level. They had just moved to the third story when it happened. There was first a loud crack and when Dan looked up all he saw was Brian tumbling through the air and hitting the floor two stories down.