- Text Size +

CHAPTER 17: MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE…


HUNTER:


Now that things have officially been settled between me and Ben, I feel a modicum of peace at least. I don’t think I will feel completely at ease until (a) the Duke of Desperate and the Duchess of Dumbass are finally dethroned, and (b) the woman who contributed her egg to my birth is finally put where she belongs… in jail. I think that’s where the real problem with me is. It’s the constant state of waiting for the other shoe to drop. It doesn’t help that although Ben has put in the petition to formally adopt me, he’s now filing as a single parent. Michael was useless at all other times, but at least when it was the two of them my chances were better. Now, I just don’t know what is going to happen to my case. With my luck, they will return me to Rita, and I’ll just end up back on the streets with her as my pimp. I’ll run away again before I allow that to happen. No way am I going back to her!


“Hey Hunter, you ready to go yet?” Ben calls up to me from the bottom of the stairs. I know that we’ve been requested to sit in on the confrontation this morning, but part of me is afraid to go.


“Not exactly.”


“Well, what’s taking so long?” Ben asks, but doesn’t sound pissed about the fact that I’m procrastinating. I can’t help but think of how different Wonder Dumb’s reaction would be if he was here. A more impatient person I’ve never met.


“It’s… you know what, can you come up for a second, Ben?” I ask, deciding that he should at least know what’s bothering me. “I promise that I’ll be honest.”


“You always are,” he assures me as he arrives at the door to the bedroom. “So what is it, son?”


I close my eyes and send up a silent prayer that he’ll be able to call me that for real and permanently very soon. I take a deep breath and look at him directly. “It’s a combination of things, really. The first thing being that this will be the first time I’ll be facing Michael since I’ve come back to the Pitts. What if…”


Ben seems to understand why my sentence drifted off just then. He crosses over to the bed and puts his arm around my shoulder. At first, I didn’t think he was going to say anything; just content to let him offer me all the comfort he could while my brain still played the ‘What If’ game, But then he clears his throat and begins to speak. “Hunter, I won’t lie. It may not be easy to get custody of you, but here’s where that very same thing may be able to work in your favor. Regardless of how today turns out, you will still have a place to stay. I would never turn you out to resume your life on the streets, regardless of what you’ve been told by Michael.”


“But what if the judge orders me to live with Rita again?”


“If he does, I’m sure that Mel and her friend would have come up with a counter argument to that. However, you can help yourself by being proactive.”


“Proactive? How?”


“First, we’ll get you registered for school.” At my widened eyes, he chuckles. “Now don’t worry about it, Hunter. I’m fairly certain that they have schools you can attend online, and if not, then we’ll try for the GED option. But also, you need to look for a self-sustaining job. If worse comes to worse, you should be able to apply for emancipation without having to live with Rita again. We’ll have to ask Mel how it works, but I think it’s something that should be considered carefully.”


I had never even thought about the things he’s saying, but the options make sense. If I apply for emancipation, I would never again have to be in the position that Rita has placed me in. I would never again have to worry about a parent forcing me into doing something I don’t want to do. Best of all, though, is that I would still have Ben to guide me. The only real downside is that I would still be known as James Hunter Montgomery, instead of becoming the Hunter Bruckner I’d dreamed about.


“If that happened, would you still consider me your son?” That’s a question that I really need answered. It’s one thing to be held legally responsible for another’s life, but something I realized after spending time with the Fillmores this past week. I realized that what makes people family has very little to do with blood relations.


Ben hugs me close again. “Hunter, no matter what happens, you and I will always be family. You are the son of my heart, and that’s something no judge, or Rita, can ever take away from me nor you. Not only that, but you also have James and Glenda, who I have no doubt would like to be your support system.” I’d taken him to meet the Fillmores the first time I visited after coming home. James had been absolutely right about Glenda needing to nurture people. When she’d met Ben and I for the first time, she immediately began trying to pump us full of food, especially after Ben told her of his status. She didn’t trip out about it, but opened her heart and home to him as she had done to me. I think it even caught Ben off guard, regardless of the fact that he usually tries to see the good in everyone. Thinking about it even now makes me stifle a smile.  Ben looks me in the eye then. “You’ll be sixteen in two weeks, and the hearing is set for three weeks beyond that. After we take care of the unnecessary entities in our lives this afternoon, we’ll sit down and hash everything out and come up with a solid plan. I also think we need to have James and Glenda involved in this. I’m sure they will probably have some idea on how you could go about things, especially since one of their kids is a high school teacher. It can’t hurt to have all of the information you can get, right?”


“True.”


“So that’s settle for the interim. Let’s go take care of the riffraff so that we can get on with the rest of our lives.”


I hug Ben again before he leaves the room to allow me to finish getting dressed. It feels good to be a part of this. The fact that I’m dressed in a suit like it’s an actual business meeting adds to my anticipation to have this all done. It’s the one thing that Brian and Blondie asked of all of us. I can’t wait to see Michael’s face when he shows up and realizes that him being summoned has nothing to do with him being missed, and everything to do with him being dismissed. Oh my god, I think I’m channeling Emmett, because I just had the sudden urge to jump and down, clapping my hands in my excitement. If that happens again, I swear I’m checking myself into a psych ward, I think to myself as I once again make an effort to tie this damn tie perfectly.


CYNTHIA:


“Oh my! It looks amazing in here!” Ted exclaims. “Nothing like the old baths at all.”


I smile. “But fitting just the same. The contractors Jennifer recommended took direction well, and have gone beyond my expectations.”


“True, but do you think they have met the exacting standards of Mr. Kinney and Mr. Taylor?”


And that is the real question, ladies and gentlemen. Brian and Justin have proven to be perfectionists at the most inopportune times. Just as Ted and I arrived back at the loft after yesterday’s meeting at Vanguard, Justin was in the midst of a hissy fit. Apparently, the printing company they’d hired to handle the specially-designed business cards and company letterhead had either messed up the order or blatantly disregarded Justin’s instructions. Turns out that the person put in charge of the Kinnetik account was someone Brian and Justin had specifically requested not be given it to handle. They didn’t mind the fact that Glenn Reeves worked for the company; just requested that the young man stay away from their account. Ted and I later found out that Reeves was a good friend of Christopher Hobbs during high school, and Justin didn’t trust him, unfortunately with good reason.


So Justin threatened to sue the printing press company for everything they were worth and even the contracts they hadn’t even gotten yet if their order wasn’t fixed immediately and delivered by five that afternoon. The funny thing is that he didn’t raise his voice with the person on the phone, even as he slammed down anything he could get his hands on around the loft. Brian just stood by watching Justin avidly, and smirking, silently gloating that he’d taught his partner well. So it was no surprise when the owner himself arrived at the loft with Brian and Justin’s corrected paper goods for Kinnetik.


I nod at Ted. “Even the persnickety and facetious Brian Kinney couldn’t have any opinion other than that this place is perfect. It also helps that with the acquisition of Vanguard, only the most senior staff is going to be stationed here.”


I think it was a genius idea of Justin’s to split the company up to where the employees we are keeping at Vanguard and the new hires will stay in the other building to work on the current accounts or those considered cookie cutters, while those of us in this building will take on all of the new accounts and those who have already jumped ship to go with Kinnetik. This way both locations will be used to their fullest potential, and with a more widespread staff, Brian and Justin will be able to delegate responsibility a lot sooner than we all anticipated.


“Hi, hi, Sweeties!” Emmett comes in with a platter in his hands.


“Good morning, Em,” Ted greets back. “Need help?”


“You know it, Teddy. This is only one of seven platters. If you could be a dear and tell me where to put this first one, I’ll put it down and get the rest.”


“I’ll show you, Emmett. In the meantime, I think between the three of us, we can get everything inside and set up before the Highnesses arrive.” I smile at him. I’ve always enjoyed his company and country colloquialisms.


“That would just be divine, Miss Cynthia. I spoke to Vic this morning and although he’ll have more with him, he’s running a bit late.”


My heart thumped a little heavy for the man who was fast becoming a father to us all. I shake my head. “I would imagine that today is going to be extremely hard on him… as hard as it will be on Brian.”


“Yeah. Truthfully, it’s going to be hard on most of us in the room. Deb’s been a mother and Michael like a pesky younger brother to us when our own families ostracized us based on their own prejudices and ideals. If someone had predicted this would happen years ago, I think I can safely speak for Ted, Brian, and myself when I say there would have been hell to pay for speaking against Deb. But with the mounting evidence against them…” he sighs deeply. “Well there just isn’t a way to negate all they’ve done, although I’m sure they will try to justify it. But how does one excuse hurting a man who would’ve gladly given the shirt of his back in exchange for complete honesty? That’s the core of Brian’s issue with all of this, I’m sure.”


“It is,” I concur. “I don’t really know much about the relationship before I met Brian- only bits and pieces he’s told me over the years. But I do know that Brian hates being lied to. He’d rather you tell him that you hated him instead of having your actions show that while being given the ‘loving’ lip service. The same goes for when you fuck up, that way he can at least respect you. What they have done to him has negated even a modicum of truth they may have ever uttered. There’s really no coming back from that.”


We move the rest of Emmett’s offerings into the building as we continue to talk about the coming confrontations. I really wonder how Brian will be able to heal and move forward from this. It’s sure to rock his foundation somewhat. But we all agree that it’s good that Justin is with Brian for better or worse now, and we all trust that he’ll know what to do. It’s a lot to put on his young shoulders, but if there’s one thing we all continue to learn, it’s that there isn’t much Justin Taylor can’t do if he’s determined to do it. It’s a lesson that the evil three are about to learn firsthand.


“Oh, I meant to ask if Lindsay is coming?” Emmett asks me, and I smile.


“I’m sure she will be, but certainly not in the way she likes best. She’s probably even now looking for the perfect outfit to draw attention to herself… or at the very least, try to keep Brian’s attention focused on her.”


“Not Mel’s?”


“Oh she’ll make a play for Mel too, I’m sure. But from what I’ve seen and heard these past few weeks, Lindsay’s main focus has to be Brian. In her mind he’s the only one that can make Mel see reason. With her parents staying out of her affairs, both literally and figuratively, whatever money she put aside for herself has to be dwindling down. Add to that the lawsuit pending against her from her lover’s wife, and Lindsay will be scraping for change, if she isn’t already.”


“Well, she can keep right on doing that because there is no way Mel is going to take her back,” Ted says.


“What makes you so sure?”


He smiles mysteriously. “You’ll see.”


VIC:        


I just can’t seem to get myself together this morning. Even knowing what they have done, part of me wants to think it is all a bad dream. I mean, I always knew that Deb had some shit with her, but it was always able to be excused away. In this case it just can’t be, and I’m not sure how I’m supposed to feel about that. Sure, I’m as angry as a queer whose favorite dildo just gave out right at his crucial moment, but I’m also disappointed. I can’t count the number of times over the years that I had warned Deb that one day Michael was going to cost her everything she held dear if she didn’t start saying ‘no’ to him and disciplining him when he got out of hand.

 

Perhaps that’s where I went wrong. Perhaps I shouldn’t have left it up to her to smack Michael in the mouth when he pouted after being told he couldn’t have what he wanted. But the constant cost of saving myself from arguing with her has now resulted in this, and I can’t stop the feelings of guilt continuing to wash over me.


“A penny for your thoughts?” Rodney asks me as he wraps his arms around me from behind.


“Just thinking that maybe there was some way for me to stop the train wreck about to happen.”


“There was nothing you could have done, Vic. Not without having to sacrifice your sanity. We both know how Michael is where Deb is concerned and vice versa. Co-dependent doesn’t even begin to describe their relationship. It’s not even an equal balance of give and take between them; but a perpetual state of ‘Michael wants so he must have’ even at the risk of herself. I’m sure you aren’t the only one over the years that’s warned Debbie. Hell, just the other week, I did it myself. You can’t help the willfully blind even while you’ve shown them the way, Vic. Nor can you badger a person who is no longer willing to listen. In Deb’s case, she’s willing to hear what you have to say as long as it doesn’t badmouth that offspring of hers. That’s on her.”


“She always felt responsible for Michael’s lack of a father, trying to do the job of two parents.”


“That may be true to an extent, so I’ll not negate it. However, the problem is that if she was trying to do that, she failed miserably. What’s the one thing our fathers taught us, Vic?” I snicker at him, and he squeezes me gently in mirth. “I mean aside from the fact that they could be the world’s largest assholes.”


“I have to admit that my father was a stickler for me taking responsibility for my actions. It’s a concept that I’d been learning since I can remember. For a time, I could talk my mother around to my own way of thinking, but then my father put a stop to that. He told her, right in front of me, that if I was big, bad, and bold enough to act a fool, then I was able to reason and could accept the consequences no matter how harsh. Sometimes he wouldn’t even punish me himself, but let life itself be my teacher. In those moments, I think I wished for the paddle, because my life lessons and torment would have ended sooner than having to wade through the proverbial waters of bad decisions. Although Deb had it easier, she learned the same way, which is why I can’t understand why she let Michael get away with everything.”


“I’ll tell you as I’ve told her. Michael gets away with everything only when it doesn’t directly affect her. But now that all of his chickens are coming home to roost at her expense, how do you suppose she will act?”


I sigh deeply. “She’ll be angrier than I’ve ever seen her… but she’ll also be alone, Rodney. How can I leave her alone when she’s never left me?”


“Then be there for her after the fact. Don’t stop talking to her, but also, don’t let her lay any guilt trips on you, Love. This is not your fault, but her own. Make her own it, even as you try to lend the support she needs from her brother. But Vic, know when your life needs to become a Kenny Rogers song, okay?”


At first, I didn’t get it, but then I knew and started whistling “You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run...” It seemed completely fitting that Rodney would mention the song from “The Gambler” at this moment, since I’m taking a chance that Deb will understand just why I’m siding with Brian and Justin against her and Michael. I can’t help but wonder if the roles were reversed, and Brian did this to Michael, just how far would she have gone to enact revenge. I’m sure she would have had a whole lot to say even if it was Justin who had done this to Michael, although she might have gone a bit easier on him. Familiarity breeds contempt after all, so no doubt Brian would have gotten the worst end of the deal. By my opinion, Brian and Justin are trying to keep this as painless as possible for all parties while getting back what was stolen from them.

 

However, if this was Michael’s situation, he would have automatically gone the route of public humiliation and law enforcement. I can only hope that Deb will use logic and reason to know that this situation could be made so much worse should Michael not follow through, or if he chooses dig his heels in as per usual. Hopefully, she will be able to talk sense into him. But if all else fails, I hope she’ll smack the fuck out of him and perhaps jar that metal plate in his head loose which keeps out any version of events that’s not within his own imagination. And then maybe, just maybe, he’ll be able to make a wise decision and do the right thing… for once.


LINDSAY:


Hmmm… what should I wear? Well since I’m going to Brian for help regarding Mel, perhaps I should appeal to his masculinity. Although he had that bitch Cynthia call me instead of picking up the phone himself, I could probably forgive that oversight. Well, providing he does something for me. My savings are dwindling down fast, and now that I’m no longer working at the gallery, I no longer have the till to fall back on until times are better. Sidney made it clear that he knew I was taking a little extra off the top, which he was willing to overlook somewhat because Mel and I were in dire straits- a false assumption that I didn’t bother to correct. But with the scandal that cow, Amanda Auerbach started by naming me as Sam’s mistress that accursed lawsuit, Sidney said that he had no choice but to fire me because I’d become a liability instead of an asset. After all I’d done for him and his puny little gallery, you’d think that he would have shown his loyalty. I guess there’s no honor amongst thieves, nor within the art world either.


So now I’m being forced to appeal to Brian to get him to talk to Mel on my behalf. You would have thought by now that he would have told her that she was blowing my affair out of proportion, but NO! Brian couldn’t do that because he’s too busy playing with his little playmate, Justin, when he should be out looking for a way to support me… uh, I mean Gus. Well, like it or not, Gus and I come as a package deal and he needs to step up to the plate and fix this as he always does. Once my position is secure again, I’ll happily leave him to play with Justin until I’m ready to make my own moves to break them up.

 

Justin’s hand has been getting stronger and stronger; it’s only a matter of time before I can call in a favor from my former lover and mentor, Simon Caswell. I know that he’s planning to open a gallery of his own as soon as his contract with Art Forum magazine runs out. Once he makes Justin and offer he can’t refuse- and he won’t, since I’ll be whispering in his ear about the amazing opportunity- Justin will surely leave Brian alone for greener pastures and thereby clearing my path once again. But first, I have to get Brian around to my way of thinking.


“I think the silk red pantsuit it will be,” I say aloud as I take it out of the garment bag I retrieved from the storage unit. “It’s classy, sexy, and definitely meant to catch the eye and hold all of the attention in the room.” I was saving it for a special occasion, but I think my impending victory and restoration as the Queen of my small world counts as one.


An hour later, I eye myself in the full length mirror within the motel room. I honestly can’t wait for the proceedings of reclaiming my life to begin. Lynette and her insipid husband told me not to come back to their house until I cleared up my scandal, and so I’ve been exiled to this dingy place. On the brightside, the reporters haven’t found me yet, though when they do, the last place I want to be seen is here. I snatch up my clutch purse, phone, and room key. Then I double check the address that Cynthia gave me to meet Brian at. For some reason it looks familiar, but I really can’t place it right now. Besides, I need to concentrate on winning Brian over. All other questions, like why that location, can wait until I do that.


MICHAEL


“I don’t know why he didn’t call us himself, Ma!” I shout at her. Sometimes, I swear it’s like dealing with the fucking Inquisition. All of her damn questions are getting on my last nerve. Plus I’m still pissed about being denied access to Brian’s loft yesterday. “All I know is that he had that bitch call to summon us like we’re fucking peasants or something. For some reason he wants us to meet him at the old Adonis building.”


“Well then he can explain why you haven’t been given a new key to the loft.”


“That’s right! But more importantly, he can give me my fucking money back. I shouldn’t have had to pay to have his car towed back here. He’s the one who wanted it.”


“Although, I agree with you, Sweetheart, the fact remains that you had his car somewhere that he had no knowledge of. If you ask me, you should probably appeal to Ben about that since that was fucking Hunter’s doing. Besides, doesn’t he owe you for rent on your apartment too since he was staying there while you were gone?”


“That’s true, Ma. Thank goodness you reminded me.” I go over to my new laptop that I brought back to Pittsburgh with me. Lance had it outfitted for me just the way I needed it, with all the updated programs. Logging onto my spreadsheet, I update the invoice sheet that I have for Ben and Hunter. Since he wanted to leave me because of what Hunter told him, I figured he should pay me for the privilege. Besides, once Brian and I get settled in Palm Springs, Ben really won’t matter anymore anyway. In truth, he never did.


“What have you got there, Michael?” Ma asks as she looks over my shoulder.


“Just a little something that I need to drop by Ben’s apartment after we’re done with Brian. Speaking of which, why haven’t you been by Brian’s place?”


“Mel’s been spending a lot of time over there and after she had me escorted from her office, I thought it was best if we both had a chance to cool down.”


“She really owes you an apology for doing that to you.”


“Yes, she does, but you know Mel. She’ll need something from me before I need her, and then the apologies will come.”


“Well make sure you make her grovel. I intend to do the same to Brian. I mean, seriously, he’s just been treating me shabbily these last few months. You would think that I would count more after all I’ve done for him.”


“Well, he’s been too concerned with Justin to think much about anyone, Michael.”


“And that’s going to be one of the first things I address when I see him. It’s time he make a decision. It’s either going to be me or that fucking kid. He can’t keep playing house with him if he’s going to remain friends and ultimately be with me. I won’t allow for tricks of any kind, especially not that one!” Yes, indeed! It’s time for Brian to be mine completely. I won’t even think about any other outcome. He owes me this and I intend to collect!  


“I suppose we should get going, Michael. We don’t want to be late. You know how Brian is.”


“Of course I do, which is why I say we should make him sweat a bit. We’re the ones with all the power. He wronged us, not the other way around. So I say we get there when we’re ready to, and not a moment before.”


“Fine. Do you want some coffee?”


“That would be great, Ma. Oh and don’t forget the cream,” I tell her as I turn back to the computer screen, detailing every single thing consumed by that fucking little ingrate who I was forced to take with me to Lance’s house. After this business with Brian is finally straightened out, Hunter is next on my list. Ben has obviously made his choice, but it will be Hunter who ultimately has to pay for it.


DEBBIE:


Jeez, a ‘yes please and thank you’ might have been nice! I’ll just chock his obvious lack of manners up to the stress he’s under right now. I start the coffeemaker to brewing, thinking that I’m surely going to need multiple cups to deal with my son if he doesn't get his way. But who am I kidding? He always does; it's just the way things have always been...as they should be! So just one cup will do for now.


MEL:


Janean and I look over the packets once more in the office which is serving as my own within the Kinnetik building. I really can’t believe how perfect this space turned out, but I don’t know why I’m the least bit surprised. Both Brian and Justin have impeccable taste, and this place reflects that.


“So it looks like all of the packets are in order. The only one who doesn’t get one is…”


“Lindsay,” I confirm for Janean. "I have a specific one for her. Right now, I’m just trying to figure out the best time to spring it.”


“Well the suits will be here for her within a half an hour of the start of the meeting time. Perhaps it would be better to deal with her and get her out of the way before the real fun begins.”


“Ah, and possibly put the fear of god into Mighty Mouth in the process?” Janean smiles wide at me. “I do like the way you think. So that’s what we’ll do. We should tell the others.”


So far Vic, Rodney, Ted, Cyn, and Em are in the lobby. As I cross over to them I see Ben, Hunter, and Jennifer coming in. At my anxious and puzzled look she says, “They are on their way.”


I smile. “Ah, let me guess. They got a little sidetracked.”


She nods. “They stopped over at Dusty and Marie’s to see Gus. The other… well it’s the fact that it’s going to be a hard day for them. I think they just needed a little of Gus’ magic to bolster them. So what’s the plan?”


I detail what Janean and I were thinking, and receive nods in return. "Well, let me know the exact time so that I can get her parents on the phone. I want them to hear everything so that she doesn’t have a way to spin this to her advantage later." Jennifer says, fiercely.


“My, my, you really don’t like her, do you?” I laugh.


“Not at all, but it’s really her mother I can’t stand. However, there’s the fact that all animosity aside, we’re still mothers and by keeping her in the loop, I feel it’s a favor she’ll owe me later on. Although, I’m not averse to twisting the emotional knife just that little bit deeper since Nancy tried to do that to me a time or two when Justin first came out, and again during my divorce from Craig. But in this case, I’ll let Nancy have her one-upmanship with pleasure.”


Brian and Justin come into the office just then, as put together as I’ve ever seen them. Their collective power and confidence radiates so much that the air is charged with it. One would never know just how hard this is going to be for both of them by the way they are greeting everyone, shaking hands and trading comments with those here they aren’t familiar with. It’s funny, but although each man has an inner fire and self-containment that can’t be denied individually, together they present this impenetrable wall. It’s as if nothing can get through to them to cause them harm. I don’t even think they realize that it’s the aura they exude.

 

It’s both beautiful and disconcerting.


“Guys, Lindsay’s cab just pulled up. Let me bring you both up to speed real quick,” I tell them, as I lead everyone to the conference room.

 

We all agreed that we should maintain our element of surprise, so Cynthia is going to be at the front desk waiting for the idiot brigade to arrive. Although this will indeed be a fucked up day, I will not deny that I am looking forward to it. I take a quick peek out the door to not only see Lindsay standing there, but Dale. And then I hear it… and wish for a fucking muzzle. Mighty Mouth and his Mouth Almighty mama have indeed arrived.