- Text Size +

CHAPTER 18: YOU HAVE THE ATTENTION...SO NOW WHAT?


LINDSAY:


I walk into the familiar building, amazed at the artwork on the walls. Taking a closer look at them, I smile to myself when I notice that it’s Justin’s work. It’s all abstract, but you can certainly feel the thought, care, and emotion that he put into creating such masterpieces. They really should be hanging in a museum, which is amazing considering what happened to him just a few years ago. But then again, that’s Justin.

 

Once he made up his mind to push through his limitations and forget about the naysayers, the talent Justin’s always had began to flourish once more, exceeding even my exacting expectations. Seeing these just reaffirms that once I have Brian on my hook again, I will be able to move up my timetable to get Justin out of our lives for good. It's the right thing to do for everyone involved, especially ME. And honestly, who better than to introduce him to the art world and act as his manager other than someone who knows what it will take for him to succeed? I'll make sure that he really understands what it means to suffer for his art, but first things first...


“Cynthia! Good to see you,” I say, smiling.


“I wish I could say the same,” she says.


“Aww, now don’t tell me you’re still bitter about the last time we talked.”


She smiles at me with narrowed eyes. “Never bitter, Lindsay. You’ve never had that kind of power over me.”


“Cynthia…”


“How’s Sam?” she smiles even wider. “A funny thing always happens when he’s around don’t you think? He always believes that he’s so slick with his whores and peccadilloes. You would think that any self-respecting woman with a modicum of self-preservation would know to stay clear of that particular married man. But apparently, not all women are smart, are they Lindsay?”


The smug look on her face speaks volumes of my latest drama, and it’s then that I realize just who it was that gave my name to that she-wolf married to Sam. I am about to slap the smug smile off her face when we are interrupted by the familiar whine and screech of the Novotnys. I roll my eyes and paste a smile on my face before turning to them.


“Michael, Debbie, a pleasure and surprise to see you here.”


“Yeah, you too, Lindsay. Has his High Ass summoned you, too?” Debbie sneers. I have to wonder about her sudden bitterness towards Brian.


“In fact he has, although he couldn’t be bothered to call me himself,” I say rolling my eyes at the bimbo looking upon us with interest. “Perhaps we should find him and find out why that is.”


“Yeah, I would love to…” Michael starts, but is cut off by Jennifer’s voice.


“Good, you’re all here. Now we can begin the tour.”


“Tour?!” Debbie screeches. “What fucking tour do I need of this place? And furthermore, you can explain why my kid wasn’t able to get into the loft yesterday.”


“You weren’t able to get into the loft?” I ask Michael, shocked by this turn of events. I’ve been telling Brian for years that Michael really didn’t need a key to his place. Of course, that didn’t apply to me. I should really find out if my own key still works.


“It’s simple really, Debra. Michael doesn’t live there, and I own the building. So in short, I made an executive decision, which the other tenants are just ecstatic about. Michael has caused such a ruckus there over the years that the vote to keep his whiny behind out was unanimous.”


“Well why do you own the building?” Michael asks, anger blazing in his eyes.


“My reasoning is simple. My son and his partner live there. It was only fitting that I buy the building to keep unwanted entities out of it. The fact that it’s also now safe for other residents… well that’s just an added bonus. So now, back to the tour. You all are standing in the corporate offices of both Kinnetik Enterprises and Marcus and Peters Associates.”


“What the hell are you going on about? What does any of that have to do with why we’re here?” Michael whines, and I swear it’s like nails on a chalkboard. Perhaps it has something to do with why he was banned from Brian’s building. The word partner was not lost on me.


“Oh, I’m sorry, Michael. I forgot for a moment that I was dealing with someone with low-brain capacity and selective hearing. Deb, you should really get him checked out since he could never do that for himself.” Jennifer smiles, even as she’s insulting him. “Anyway, once more, Brian, Justin, and Melanie, along with her business partner, Janean Peters own this building. I’ve been asked to give you a tour since all four of them are currently busy. Follow me.”


I have to admit that as Jennifer is giving us the tour, I am in awe of what they have done with the place. One would never think that men used to fuck at all hours of the day and night within these walls. Not only can I see Brian’s influence in every office, but Justin’s, and Melanie’s as well. The fact that she has her own practice now makes it even more imperative that she takes me back. Apparently, she’s finally moving in the direction I’ve been trying to push her to go for so many years. No way shouldn’t I reap the benefits of all my hard work. It’s only fair that she shares the bounty sure to come her way, with me.


“So when will they all be open for business?” I ask, already counting the retroactive child support Brian owes me in my head.


“Oh, they already are, and have all been very busy. It’s another reason why I banned Michael from the loft. They didn’t need any distractions while getting their business off to a great start. They just landed a multi-billion dollar account yesterday,” she brags. That means there isn’t any reason Brian can’t write me a check today. By my calculations, there should be about five grand in the account no later than two weeks from now.  


“Why didn’t he tell me?” Michael muses, hurt lacing his voice before he becomes angry. “And why the hell do you keep referring to Brian and Justin as partners in Brian’s company? I’m sure Boy Ass had nothing to do with it, but is riding Brian’s coattails as usual!”


“No, that would be you, Michael. I’ll leave Brian to give any explanations he chooses to give. I was asked to show you around because I was the broker who found them this place.”


I laugh. “Oh, Jennifer, how you exaggerate. Working for a real estate company doesn’t automatically make you a broker. Even I know that…”


“True, Lindsay. But when you actually own the company and also have taken and passed the Broker’s Licensing Exam, you can call yourself a broker, not only in fact but in deed. So again, I was the broker that found them this place. The contractors who work under me and for my company redesigned it to meet the goals and needs of both businesses,” she says smugly, and it’s clear just why my mother and her don’t get along. Jennifer Taylor is arrogant without good reason. It doesn’t help my mother’s case that she’s also higher up in the country club set than the Petersons, and Jennifer blocked Lynette’s access to that tier on more than one occasion. She stops in front of a closed door. “So now that we have arrived at the conference room, you all can go in. I just need to make a quick call.”


As I push my way past Michael and Debbie, I’m stunned into silence. Michael careens into me, as does Debbie after him, causing me to slip on my high heels and land in an undignified sprawl, face first, on the side of conference table.


“Lindsay, nice of you to join us. Although your grand entrance leaves a lot to be desired, no matter how funny it was to watch,” Mel says, laughter clear in her voice.


I pick myself up from the table, narrowing my eyes at her as Michael once again begins to whine. “What are you all doing here? Brian, what are they doing here? I thought you wanted to meet with me and Ma privately!”


“Technically we are meeting privately, since all of Liberty Avenue isn’t here. Although I suspect I should have invited a few denizens, maybe even charged admission, but who knows. Anyway, we’ll get to why you’re here in a little bit. First, I have matters to discuss with Lindsay.”


I preen as I take the seat directly in front of me after righting my clothes. It’s nice for Brian to finally recognize my importance and put me ahead of Michael and Deb. “So Brian, what was so important that you couldn’t call me and invite me here yourself?”


“Lindsay, can the dramatics. As for why you’re here, I thought it was time to get a few matters straight,” he answers me curtly. I don’t appreciate his tone, but I know I have to let it slide… for now anyway. My mother’s always taught me that when you have your hand in the lion’s mouth, it’s always better to ease it out than snatch it back.


“Alright, Brian. Alright,” I placate. “But that doesn’t explain why everyone else is here. I mean, I can understand why Mel is, at least to a degree, but my business with you doesn’t concern everyone else.” I look pointedly at Justin, who just stares blandly back at me. What the fuck is going on?


“Actually, I wanted witnesses to what I am about to say, which is why they are all here. You have the annoying habit of twisting the truth to suit your own ends, much like Michael, who is sitting next to you. By the way, Michael, you probably shouldn’t look so smug. I have a few choice words for you as well.”


“But Brian…” His high-pitched whine is surely about to reach epic proportions, so I interrupt quickly.


“Michael, please remember to modulate your volume. My eardrums can only take so much,” I demand, forcing every eye in the room back to me, where if I’m honest, it should be. “Now, Brian, I would like to speak to you privately on a matter of great importance to me. It has come to my attention that your assistant has been spreading vicious rumors about me.”


“All of which are well founded and therefore cannot be considered rumors,” Bitch Barbie, as I have taken to thinking of her in my mind, responds. “You have been intimate with a man, who is definitely not your wife. Oops! I meant to say, soon-to-be-ex wife. Or has the official dividing of the assets already happened, Mel?”


She smiles at Mel, who is in the other power seat of the table, seemingly waiting patiently for her answer. As it is, I’m pissed that Bitch Barbie is flanking Brian’s right as Justin is on his left. That’s my fucking seat! I’m tempted to make a fuss and demand that Justin trades seats with me immediately, but again I know that I have to bide my time to make my demands. But wait…


“Yes, it’s official as of yesterday afternoon, Cyn. Lindsay is no longer a part of my life,” Melanie answers her with a smile as wide as I’ve ever seen on her. I straighten my shoulders and glare at her, before remembering exactly what my ultimate goal is, which is to get my control of Gus back.


Allowing my hair to fall forward to frame my face, I turn tearful eyes to Brian. “Oh, Bri, what am I supposed to do now? I mean, Gus is… well, it was always meant that Mel and I would raise him, and now she’s checking out. This does mean that she has to relinquish her rights, doesn’t it?”


“Oh, the contrary, Lindsay,” Mel corrects me. “I still have my rights. Brian and I have talked about it, and neither one of us expects the other to not be fully involved with Gus’ life. I think you should take a look at the packet in front of you for the full details of the agreement between Brian and me.”


“You and Brian?” I ask as I flippantly flip open the packet. “You and Brian have come to some sort of agreement without me?”


“Indeed we have, because ultimately, you aren’t a factor. Brian and I will be petitioning for shared custody of Gus.”


“What the hell do you mean I don’t matter? I’m Gus’ mother! His only TRUE mother!”


“For all of about five minutes more. Make sure you look at the entire packet within the next five minutes, Lindsay, because that’s about all the time you have left to make a decision.”


“Decision? What decision?”


Brian clears his throat, causing me to look down the table at him. “Well, there is the matter of your rights. Either way, you will not be in Gus’ life from this day forward…”


“WHAT?! What bullshit are you trying to pull?” All thoughts of appealing to his masculinity have fled as I am now angry. “I don’t know what you and Melanie have planned but I can tell you right now, I’m not giving up Gus! He’s my…”


“Meal ticket? Automatic rent? Or is he your clothing allowance this month?”


“What the fuck are you on?! He’s MY son!”


“Only when you choose to be his mother, Lindsay. Other than that he’s your tool of extortion by virtue of an umbilical cord. Well, again you have only now three minutes to decide how you relinquish your rights.” Brian tells me before Mel speaks.


“Either do it the honorable way or have them revoked. It’s your choice.”


“The honorable… what’s in it for me?”


“And there's the Lindsay we all used to love and now loathe. Well relinquishing them voluntarily keeps Gus’ name out of the papers,” she says, almost gleefully. “You see Lindsay, remember Guillaume, who you were about to marry for a green card a couple of years ago?”


“Yes. What about him?”


“Well currently, he’s sitting in a jail cell waiting to be deported. It turns out that his boyfriend, Robert, who just happens to be an American, is in the hospital just waking up from a medically induced coma.”


“What the fuck does that have to do with this situation?” I demand. I’m pissed, and at this point I don’t give a shit who knows it.


“Oh, Lindsay. Language!” Mel teases, and while the rest of them laugh, I glare. “I was just getting around to telling you before you so rudely interrupted me. Anyway, Robert told the police what Gui did, but that wasn’t all. He also told them about Gui’s plan to take Gus and force you to marry him so that he could stay in the country. When he and Robert argued about it, Gui went ballistic and beat Robert, breaking several bones which was the reason for the coma. But when they were questioning him, an interesting series of events involving your past association with the Frenchman came to light.

 

"The plain and simple truth is that you’re going to jail, Lindz. They have all of the emails between you and Gui where the whole thing was planned out, including the subsequent plan to involve Gus in your scheme. That constitutes child endangerment, by the way. Gui kept all of the evidence on a flash drive that was found during a search of his home when they weren’t sure Robert was going to make it. But that’s not all, darling. They also have all of the phone records Robert saved, including the new plan you and Gui came up with that would force money out of Brian and I. Did you really think that we wouldn’t recognize your signature planning all over this, Lindsay? Regrettably, Brian and I have known you too many years not to recognize your plot twists, sweetheart. And all of this so that you could travel with Sam Auerbach, A MARRIED MAN, around the globe.”


My fucking head was spinning. I can’t believe they have figured it all out. All my fucking plans… I was supposed to meet Sam in Paris later on this month for his European tour, but then that sneaky bitch Cynthia's machinations, and now this…. I’m still going over the packet full of evidence when I realize that Jennifer has let in some people with official looking badges.


“Agent Ramos, it’s nice to finally meet you in person,” Mel greets him.


“As well you, Ms. Marcus. Agent Jacoby sends his regards. He was called away on another matter.”


“All is well, I hope,” she answers him. How can she be so fucking chummy with the bastard about to take me away in handcuffs?!


“About as well as can be expected. I think he’s more nervous than his wife, and yet she’s about to push something the size of a watermelon out of a lemon.” Ramos chuckles. Fucking bastard! “Well, I guess we should go on and conclude our business.”


“Yes, let's… but before that, let me formally introduce you. Lindsay, this is Agent Ramos from the U.S. Department of Immigration. For the record, Gui was denied naturalization three times, since he has a warrant for assault in France under his actual name, which is Franck Lavigne. Are you finally going to do the right thing by Gus, or be selfish as usual?”


“I choose to be selfish as you call it,” I sneer. “When my parents hear of this, I’ll be back, I’m sure.”


“We’re hearing you now, Lindsay,” my father’s voice interrupts.


“Daddy? Daddy, where are you? You won’t believe…”


“We’ve heard it all, Lindsay. There won’t be any help coming from us. Not this time!”


“Mother?” I ask, as Jennifer holds out her cell phone, which is on speaker to me. THAT FUCKING BITCH!!!!


“Yes, Lindsay, I’m here. To say that I am disappointed would be the understatement of the century. Do yourself, and that little boy, a favor and sign the document. It’s bad enough that your troubles are once again going to be gossip fodder. Try, for once, to think of how your scandalous actions will affect others around you. Now I understand why Ronald was so adamant about taking this trip now. And thank you Jennifer, for calling me so that we could get the full story. It’s bad enough that we have to be associated with her, but we won’t be made to look like fools trying to defend the indefensible.”


“It was my pleasure, Nancy and Ronald. I would have wanted to know firsthand what I was about to walk into should this had been one of my own children. Thankfully, it’s not something I will ever have to worry about.” Jennifer smiles smugly at me before disconnecting the phone. “Well, Lindsay, you’ve heard what your parents think you should do.”


“Brian?” I ask, tearfully.


He shakes his head. “Justin and I won’t be coming to your rescue either, Lindsay. As a matter of fact, as I recall, we both tried to talk you out of it along with just about everyone else here, except for the Novotnys who were too busy with their heads up Dr. David’s ass to be bothered. Clean up your own mess.”


“What am I facing?” I ask Agent Ramos, who has his hand on my left arm, presumably to prevent me from running.


“To be honest, fifteen years and a $250,000 fine, or both. It really depends on the judge and how the prosecution processes the evidence.”


“Brian, can’t you at least pay the fine for me? I’m your son’s mother, after all.”


“And the exact reason I’m not paying shit. You knew better and were going to involve my son in illegal activity anyway. No, Lindsay, you deserve everything you’re about to get and more. But don't worry about Gus; Mel, Justin, and I will raise OUR, as in the three of us, our son.”


Hearing Brian speak to me like that broke my heart. I never… I never really thought that any of this would catch up with me, or if it did, that I would be long gone by then. I look around at all the people I consider family and see not only disapproval, but anger that is burning so deeply for me right now. There is no one in this room who will support me and get Brian to change his mind. The only one with a different look is Michael. But it’s obviously because he thinks he’s finally won Brian.


I lean close, while reaching for the pen, and whisper. “You’re next, Michael.”


“I don’t think so, Lindz. With you gone, there’s no one to whisper doubts in his ear.”


I shake my head and laugh. “Oh you little fool, but you’ll learn… and I think sooner than you bargained for.” I’m gratified to see that the smug look on his face is fading, although it is still there. After signing my son away to Mel and Brian, I straighten up. “I’m sorry.” I say before I’m led out.


While I’m being read my Miranda rights, and being handcuffed, I hear Deb ask, “How the fuck can you do that to her?! She’s your son’s mother!”


But it’s Brian’s response that shocks me as he yells back at her. “I didn’t do that to her; she did it to herself, just as you’re about to!”


I wonder what that statement means… Although I don’t have much time to think about it as the reporters who have been following me around for the last few days have managed to find me again. This time, I don’t even fight having my picture taken as I’m hustled into the back of a dark-windowed sedan. What was the point? Oh well.

At least, despite the handcuffs, I still look fucking fabulous.