- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Just a brief reminder:

Bold Italics= flashbacks

Italics= emphasis, sarcasm or character's inner thoughts

 

HAPPY READING, DARLINGS!

~Nichelle

CHAPTER 28: PRISON ORANGE IS NOT YOUR COLOR… BUT


JUSTIN:



SUNDAY MORNING:


Well, it has happened! I have finally reached my breaking point! And this time… there will be NO FUCKING MERCY!


This week- I should say, last week- started off really well. Between Brian, Ted, Cynthia, Daphne, and I, we managed to finally get everything between the two offices, if not quite running like a well-oiled machine, then at least organized enough where we’re functioning at seventy percent of our full potential at this juncture. Everyone is on a high because of Brian’s speech at the corporate meeting. It’s not that they were so downtrodden; just way too complacent.

 

When Brian and I had a meeting with the department heads to find out why, we were told that it’s because Gardner wanted what he wanted, and it was just easier to give into him, rather than receive yet another threat of a pink slip. Sure, Brian had done his fair share of issuing those types of threats but it was never without good reason. Usually it was because people were slacking off, and producing underneath their abilities. But with Gardner, it was all about what he wanted. He wouldn’t even listen to ideas that would have made the product sell better than the customer’s expectations.

 

Both Brian and I promised them that although we were hard bosses, we would also be fair with the staff. It seemed to immediately set their minds at ease. Since then, our staff has been working like fiends, trying to get everything up to date. Most even came in on Saturday to spend the day organizing the offices as a whole.


As for the accounts themselves, all I can say is the response in support of Kinnetik has been overwhelming. Our first major three clients have been phenomenal. We explained that we were not only starting Kinnetik- which they all knew- but that we were also taking over and reorganizing the staff of Vanguard, which only John Remson and therefore Kellie McQuaid knew. Once Leo Brown heard, he did something incredibly uncharacteristic for the stoic CEO of Brown Athletics. He actually let out a Yahoo, and told us once again that he had every faith in us succeeding.

 

When Brian told him that I was the young man he’d cancelled the trip to Vermont with in order to come to Chicago, Leo requested that after his campaign was finished for the current season, that we visit him and his wife for a few days of much needed respite. I suspect there is more to that invitation, but for now I’m still keeping the thought to myself. As for Jared Thorne… yeah we landed the account last Wednesday, but not without a smidge of difficulty. It started with the video conference between us and his staff.

 

I will not lie by saying that his constant regard was comforting for either Brian nor myself. However, things took a turn after the initial proposal. Jared had requested a dinner meeting with me for purposes unknown at the time. Needless to say, Brian was less than thrilled; neither was I, in all honesty. Jared is an extraordinarily handsome man, on par with Brian.

 

His jet black hair and striking cobalt blue eyes would make lesser men want to drop to their knees for him, not to mention women. Add to that an athletic build similar to Dale’s, and it’s easy to understand why both Brian and I both had some trepidation. Originally, I was going to tell him where to shove his dinner invitation when Daphne intervened. Cynthia had some similar words with Brian, although done with a lot more tact and discretion. She subtly reminded Brian that we were not in a position he’d found himself in many a time while working for Ryder, where he was expected to land the account by any means, including using his body to get it.

 

I was appalled that that had been expected of Brian. But more importantly, I was a bit hurt that he would think I would ever even do something like that. True, in the very recent past, I would have fucked Jared Thorne and came home to share or gloat about it to Brian. But it would have been because I wanted to, and for nothing more than that. Although no one knows about mine and Brian’s monogamy pact, it means something to me… to us.

 

And losing a multi-billion dollar account- hell losing a two-hundred dollar account- isn’t worth destroying that for.


I dressed carefully for the meeting, opting to wear the grey suit Brian bought me, which has a thin line of the blue that matches my eyes. I paired it with a shirt the same color as the stripe, but decided against a tie. Although, I’m more comfortable in suits than I’ve ever let on, add a tie to it, and I get clammy. So I only do that if there is no other choice. I arrived at Papaganos ahead of Jared, immediately taking the seat which faced the door.

 

If there was one thing over the years I've learned from Brian, it is that it’s always better to see trouble coming, rather than to have to regroup from it later. It’s a lesson I’ve always taken to heart, unless it’s Brian and I sharing a table in the middle of a restaurant. So when Jared walked in, I was glad I had taken that stance since he was everything I was expecting. In short: A sexy bag of Trouble walking! Tall, built, debonair; the guy screamed SEX with a hefty side of fuck me now please and thank you! 

 

But there was also a little something else that I was not prepared for. He was nervous, although he covered it well with the natural arrogance he wore as a second skin. Crossing the room to where I was sitting, he smiled and extended his hand.


“Justin, a pleasure to meet you.”


“And you as well, Jared.” His grip was firm, yet soft all at the same time. But oddly, and thankfully, it wasn’t sexual. That put me at ease almost immediately, but I still wondered why he requested to meet me alone. “Won’t you please have a seat before I get a crick in my neck.”


He laughed, and whatever tension we felt upon meeting dissipated. We ordered our drinks from the waiter standing by, and settled in for a conversation. “The reason I wanted to speak with you personally is because whereas I’m familiar with Brian’s reputation within the advertising industry- he is known as the man who could sell socks to man without feet- I am not yet familiar with you. So forgive my curiosity and whatever other problems I may have caused this afternoon between you and Brian. I have a habit of wanting to know the people I align my companies with. It cuts down on rumors and speculation later if I am able to get the measure of people right off the bat.”


Much like Leo Brown, I thought to myself. “Well then I should ask you, how much research have you done on me, then?”


He nodded at me approvingly. “Nothing that’s beyond a matter of public record, although I have heard some interesting tidbits about Brian and your recent past.”


“Oh?” I’ll admit that it was a bit hard not to get defensive just then. Brian and I do indeed have a sordid past that wasn’t so long ago, but that’s OUR business and no one else’s.


He must have noticed the look on my face because he immediately said, “Nothing bad per se… well unless you’re Jim Stockwell.”


“Oh, that recent past?” I smiled.


“So I take it all of what I’ve heard is true?”


“I guess it depends on who you ask. But like any good piece of fiction, there’s always some fact to it as well.”


He laughed. “I had heard that you were a born diplomat. I suppose your upbringing has a lot to do with that?”


“I suppose so. It wasn’t all that different from your own. Except that instead of going the Ivy-League route my father intended for me, I chose to march to my own drum with Brian beside me.”


“How did you two meet? I mean no disrespect, but Brian is not too much younger than I am, but you look barely legal.”


I laughed before answering. “You’re not too far off from that assumption. I’ll be twenty on my next birthday. Brian and I met when I was seventeen. It was the quintessential Horny Boy-meets-Hornier Gay Man lust story…”


“Ah, the one everyone must experience at least once in their lives. It’s the one of which legends are made.”  He laughed. “So how did you end up staying where so many others have tried with Brian and failed?”


“I’m special?” We both snickered at that. “But seriously, Brian and I share many differences, but have many similarities, also.” And for the next half an hour, I give him the mildly edited version of us: our successes, our failures, and our present fraught with hard-won battles. “So in short, what you’re getting in signing with a company such as ours is a family. Sure, every family has its kinks and problems to be worked out, but you’ll never really see them.”


“So, I’m curious as to what is going to happen to the ‘best friend’ you mentioned… this Michael person.”


I sighed, and closed my eyes for a moment. It was so strange how I felt entirely comfortable with this powerful man, but it was on par with how I feel with Emmett. I knew I could say anything and not be looked at as if I’d grown another head. But it was a question of how much I wanted to tell him about the possible coming litigation. I opted for complete honesty in the hopes that even in this situation, we could establish trust.

 

I’ll be honest and say that it wasn’t just for the company’s sake, but for my own. As I had looked back over my association with the family, I realized that I had appropriated Brian’s friends as my own. The only real friend I had acquired for myself was Daphne. Now that’s not to say that Mel, Ted, and Emmett are not my friends, but more that they were Brian’s friends first. I guess that’s why it was so easy to let Michael talk me into cutting off ties with the gang when I was first starting to date Ethan.

 

But Jared… Well Jared was different. It wasn’t just about Brian and I as a couple, but getting to know me as a person for myself. It kinda made me wonder if Jared was experiencing that fabled loneliness at the top I’d so often heard about as a kid. It made me curious about his thoughts and motivations; if that perhaps on some deep level, they were the same as mine in having this conversation. In short: It made me want to solve the mystery surrounding Jared Thorne.


“Michael is a special case,” I began somewhat diplomatically. “The bottom line is that he stole from me in the hopes of trapping Brian. So far, I’ve been quite lenient with him in giving him deadlines to pay the money back, be it in cash or property…”


“Property?”


“Indeed. Michael owns an extensive comic book collection, and many vintage action figures. The value so far is over a hundred grand.”


“You’re shitting me!”


“Not at all. He’s been collecting them since he was a kid. And although there’s nothing technically wrong with doing so as an adult, it is when using other people’s money without their knowledge or permission to do so. That’s where Michael has crossed the line. The fact that Brian and I were in dire straits only a few months ago when we should have had my money to cushion our fall… well that plays an enormous part in the most recent decisions.”


“I can see how, but moving on for a moment… you say that you’re an artist?”


“I am.”


“What if I told you that my partner is looking to outsource one?”


“I would say that’s great, but to what purpose?”


I could see his indecision about saying something to me. But as quickly as the thought surfaced, it vanished leaving him smiling at me and narrowing his eyes. “What I am about to tell you is strictly confidential. Of course, you may tell Brian and your immediate staff since they will need to be able to maintain our privacy, but it’s not to become public knowledge. Are we agreed?”


Intrigued, I uttered, “Of course. Besides, we at Kinnetik respect our clients’ privacy.”


“Good to know. My partner has been looking for an outsourcing firm to work on his latest project. Because of the nature of his businesses, it’s just been easier that we keep our relationship beyond business ties a secret. Are you familiar at all with the V-Men franchise?”


“V-Men? As in Brett Keller and Josiah Arvon?”


“The very one and the same. Josiah and I have known each other for twelve years and been partners for almost seven of those. Anyway, Josiah runs the everyday operations while Brett does the traveling. They are also linked to the Entertainment portion of Thorne Industries, which includes books and all media.”


“How did you two meet?” I found myself incredibly fascinated by the man, and the fact that he and his partner actually managed to keep their relationship private, despite the fact that they are both notables within high society. It’s quite a feat!


“I suppose much like you and Brian, although it was a smidge more complex. He and I went to the same boarding school for a few years, until his parents divorced and he moved to the West Coast. We didn’t know each other all that well at the time. We reconnected at a Hollywood function twelve years ago, when I was introduced to him by Brett. At the time, he was just an unknown writer, although Brett was gaining popularity with each movie he’d done. What I didn’t know was that Josiah had put Brett through film school, using part of his inheritance; they’d been best friends throughout most of their lives, but from two completely different backgrounds. Josiah had been toying with the idea of starting a production company of his own, specializing in written works and magazines. I had just inherited the first fifty companies from my father’s death, so I decided that it was time for T.I. to branch out beyond the companies standards of paper goods. So I invested, and in turn brought them into Thorne. To date, Brevon Entertainment is the highest grossing company within Thorne Industries.”


“That’s impressive considering how many companies are within the conglomerate.”


“Any plans for you and Brian to go that route?”


“Not yet. Right now we’re just focused on making Kinnetik national.”


“Well you’re off to a great start…”


We were interrupted by the last person I thought to see, let alone wanted to. “Sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to come and say hello to my son,” Craig beamed. “Justin, it’s good to see you.”


“Since when?” I asked, sarcastically.


“Forgive my son, Mr. Thorne, but Justin and I have had a contentious relationship in the last few years. I was wondering if I could have a word with you, in private, Justin.”


I looked at him as if he’d developed eight heads, before schooling my features as Brian had taught me. “You’ve already had several, Craig, and none that I really wanted to hear. You and I said all we needed to say after you tried to blackmail me into going to the school of your choice instead of pursuing my dreams. Nothing more needs repeating, or to be said after that.”


“I was wrong, Justin. I’ve heard that you started your own company…”


“Ah, I think I am beginning to understand why you just had to come and say ‘hello’.”


“Justin, don’t be like that. I’m trying to be civil here.” He narrowed his eyes at me in warning.

 

Jared Thorne was much loftier than the Pittsburgh social set. And I was being silently warned to remember my upbringing. Appearances are everything to him, and I almost laughed in his face that he was actually expecting me to make him look good in front of a man who wouldn’t even look twice at him in any other setting. Same old dad, huh? Well I’m certainly NOT about to be his trophy child, or the token son only when it matters to him, I thought.


“I would tell you just what you could do with your newfound need to be civil, but well… time and place, right? Now, if you don’t mind, Craig, I am having dinner with someone I actually do want to speak to.”


“Fine. How about I just drop by your office to see you tomorrow?”


“No.”


“No?”


“That’s what I just said, Craig.”


“Justin, you owe it to me to at least have a conversation with me. It’s about your sister’s legacy after all.”


“As far as I know Molly is fine. In fact, she’s better than fine considering you didn’t win your petition to have her barred from my ‘deviant’ presence. Besides, if you showed up to the office, I’m sure Brian would have a few choice words for you. On second thought...”


“Kinney?! What the hell has he got to do with me wanting to talk to you?!”


I laughed. I couldn’t help it. “I see whatever spy you have working for you didn’t tell you everything, huh? Well to help you out, Brian and I own Kinnetik Enterprises, a company that is steadily on the rise since its inception. Since it’s public knowledge, I don’t know how you could have misinterpreted the gossip that Brian and I are both business and life partners.”


His looks of anger and distaste said it all, before he even had a chance to utter his next statement. “That fucker promised me he would get that… that child molester out of your life! He… he…!”


And suddenly things began to fall into place. It wasn’t my mother, who told him that Brian and I were over during the whole Ethan fiasco. Now that I think about it, there was a reason my father didn’t want to pay for me to continue at PIFA, and it had nothing really to do with the fact that I was dating Ethan at the time. No. It was because he made a promise to remove me from Pittsburgh altogether, so that Michael could manipulate Brian into moving across country with him.

 

“WOW! And here I thought that you had a problem with ALL gay men, and not just me and Brian. Apparently, as long as they can offer you something you want badly- like me going to Dartmouth, so you can crow to your cronies at the Club- you’re more than willing to climb into bed with them, even if it’s metaphorically.  Well yours and Michael’s deal, whatever it was, can go suck a mountain of diseased dicks. I’m not going anywhere, and neither is Brian. In fact, we’re together for good. So either deal with it, or don’t; it doesn’t matter, and neither do you. You NEVER did!”

 

I turned my attention back to Jared, and asked, “You want to get out of here? There is someone I think you should meet before we discuss any further business deals.” At his nod, I signaled for the check.


“Justin, look… The business is in trouble. Since you don’t want it, I planned to leave it to Molly as her inheritance. Why won’t you help me save it?!”


I shook my head in disbelief. “You want my help? You can’t accept who I am, but you want my help to save a business that afforded you the opportunity to serially cheat on my mother? You want me to save a business that I know for a fact Molly has already told you she has no intention of being involved in? You want me to save the business that you planned to use as a leash to make me bow to your wishes? You know what, Craig? You and your business can sink for all I care. Even though it’s within my power to throw you a life line and regenerate your business, I’m not going to. Remember that ditch you and Michael meant for me and Brian? Well I hope you and your buddy, Michael will be very happy in it. Good bye!”


Jared and I took separate cars to the loft. On the way, I called Brian and told him about the meeting, but left out the information I’d garnered about Craig and Michael’s alliance. Although I refused to cry about it, I was beyond angry about it. I mean, how dare he?! How dare either of them decide to play God with mine and Brian’s lives, and then Craig turns around and asks for my help with his fucking company?!

 

But what really pissed me off was that he thought I would bend over for him by using Molly. So I called Mom on the way home to bring her up to date, and then Ted, to look into how bad things were on my behalf. No, I had no intention of helping him at all. But I just wanted to make sure he had no way of screwing Mom out of alimony and child support, just to spite me. I would never have put it past him to try that bullshit.


I arrived at the loft and took Jared upstairs. Brian hadn’t mentioned that Mel and Gus were over, but it was apparent that we’d walked in on a very important conversation. Or more accurately, a campaign of cohabitation. Last Monday, at dinner with Mom, Brian and I talked about the possibility of moving Mel in with us. We toyed around with the idea, but the more we talked about it, the more it made sense.

 

According to the specs on the estate that my mother had in her possession, there was more than adequate room where we would all be able to be parents to Gus. Even better still was that we could also maintain our autonomy as separate households. I know that Brian really wanted it, although he would never put it out there quite as openly. After introducing them, I excused myself almost immediately to make a trip to the restroom, when I’d heard Brian’s marginally accusatory tone ask Jared what happened. I tried to cover it up, but I should have known that as good as I am reading Brian, he’s equally as adept at reading me. In fact, he’s better at it because technically he’s been doing it since night one, whereas I had a momentary lapse of sanity.

 

When I emerged, Brian was filling Jared in on everything he wanted to know about his and Michael’s friendship. I still have no idea how Jared Thorne manages to put us all at ease to where we just tell him what he wants to know. It’s a skill I really need to acquire because he’d managed to get Brian to do something he rarely does… he talked. I suppose that’s an unfair assessment to a degree since we’ve been doing more of that lately. However, I can’t help but think back to how much could have been resolved between not only Brian and I, but him and Mel, if we’d all just spoken.


Anyway, by the time Jared left for the evening, he advised us that he would be back at the office the next day, and would happily sign the contracts. He also said that he would ask Josiah to come with him so that we could meet him. It occured to me that Jared and Josiah would be the first friends that Brian and I would have outside of the usual suspects of our chosen family and their mates of the minute. It was certainly one of those weird ironies that we met him because of our business. I think that was the moment I realized that he said he would be by to sign the contracts, not to arrange a date for the presentation.

 

I almost laughed when Brian asked me if I’d blown him to get the account without a presentation like that. Instead, I popped him in the stomach and told him not to be jealous that my twinky cuteness did what his studly gorgeousness did not. He just smirked and we continued our conversation with Mel before saying goodnight and agreeing that she would be in the meeting the following day.


Arriving at the Kinnetik Elite on Thursday was amazing in and of itself. It was apparent that we’d chosen the right people to work alongside Brian and me. They were already milling about the conference room waiting on us at 7:30 a.m. I think what surprised us the most was that they were already discussing the various accounts and campaigns that we were working on, versus what still needed to be done and divided up. There were questions already being asked of us before we even had the chance to put down our briefcase and messenger bag.

 

We split off into groups: Brian with the Ad Execs; Me with the Artists; Ted with the Accountants; Cynthia with the Clerical staff, and Daphne with the employees making up our Human Resources department. Mel was at the downtown office, meeting with the Legal staff and going over the requirements for the security team that she and Brian had discussed the night before. I explained the way I wanted to run the department where we all work on the concepts for the campaigns together. Then we branch off with the campaigns based on what our specialties are. Those of us well-versed in everything would pitch in when needed while cross-training as ad execs.

 

It was a fresh new take on the way campaigns are normally worked, and they were all for it, since some hated some aspects of the job, while others didn’t. As for the team cross-training, they loved all of it and were able to jump in and draw a fully developed concept during client meetings. It was a very valuable skill to have at this level due to the demands of the clients, who could change their minds in the middle of a brainstorming session between our company and theirs. Leo Brown was good for that very thing.


We decided that everyone at Kinnetik Elite would take lunch at the same time, especially because of the likelihood that this department would be staying later than the others everyday. So at two p.m. we all left the building heading in different directions. Jared Thorne and Josiah Arvon were due at the office at three, but we were anxious to talk with Mel. As we entered the Diner, I almost wanted to turn around and find someplace else, but Gus was determined to be held instead of staying in his stroller. He wanted out, and we all knew if we didn’t get him out soon, he would throw a tantrum to rival his father’s.

 

So seating ourselves, we all just opted for coffee instead of the usual heavy fare. We didn’t want to chance being late, or wolfing down food when we were expecting our latest and most lucrative client to date. Fortunately, Cynthia and Daphne were thinking ahead of us in that respect, having already ordered a lunch platter for the meeting. So all that was left to discuss was what Mel thought of our proposal.


I was thrilled that she was going to request a mixed sample from both of us. Honestly, it wouldn’t have mattered to me either who the father would be. I just thought that it would be a wonderful thing to give Gus a sibling. Molly gets on my nerves sometimes, but I can’t imagine my life without her. I wanted Gus to have that, too. Mel also decided to move in with us, which again made me so fucking happy.

 

To be able to see Gus everyday would be a gift, but I was more worried about her locking herself away and mourning the loss of Lindsay. Although she was no great loss to my mind, the bottom line is that she and Mel had been together for ten years. Ending a relationship is hard enough, but to spend a decade with someone… well, it has to still hurt. But at least living with Brian and I, Mel won’t have any excuse not to get out there and start relearning how to live her life as a single woman again. I think selling the house where she and Lindsay dwelled is the first major step.


The conversation moved fully to Lindsay, and the fact that she’s been calling all of us. I would have thought that my phone number- of ALL numbers- would have been on her mental do not call list. But apparently, it hasn’t registered that I really have nothing to say to her. I know that Mel has to go see her, but all I can hope is that she doesn’t sink her claws into Mel again. I think that’s why I worry about Lindsay’s motivations the most.

 

Brian and Mel are finally in this place, where being around each other isn’t about merely tolerating the other’s presence. It’s about a real budding friendship and developing a family. I would hate for Lindsay to destroy that simply because her bad choices have caught up to her. Mel and Brian deserve the chance to be happy. They deserve to finally have someone in their lives that won’t judge them, nor try to use them. I think they both get that from each other.


After we left the Diner, we headed back to the office where the meeting with Josiah took a good turn. Jared asked us that even though we have the contract, could we put together presentation so he could show his board the reason he hired us. It would be a bit different and challenging because this wasn’t going to be done based on selling a concept, but proving ourselves. There’s a big difference in how that’s handled, so we requested that he let us put together the concept based on the portion of his company doing the worst, by his sales projections. Although the clothing line based on the entertainment portion of the conglomerate has been doing fairly well, it could definitely use some improvements on the way it’s been advertised based on the V-Men franchise history.

 

So that’s our assignment for the next three weeks, which wouldn’t have been a problem if that fucking douchebag hadn’t struck again.


While we were having drinks with Jared and Josiah at the loft, Mel called Brian’s cell phone to say that she had cops at her house, literally tearing the place apart looking for drugs. Since Gus was staying the night with her, Child Protective Services were also there. Brian advised her that we were on our way, except that we didn’t get the chance to get out of the door. Apparently, the same anonymous caller reported Brian as a co-parent and advised that the same type of thing went on here as it supposedly did at Melanie’s. As Brian and I looked on, helpless and full of anger, Jared and Josiah tried to glean some more information from the officers.

 

As we stood outside of the loft, who, except the cretin who shouldn’t have been there in the first place came bouncing up the stairs.


“Brian! Just the man I was hoping to see!” Michael said with a smirk.


“What the fuck do you want, Michael? And more importantly, how the hell did you get in here?”


“Oh, I have my ways. But…. what’s going on here?” Again with that fucking smirk!


“None of your business.”


“Oh, but I think it is. You’re my best friend, after all. So what concerns you, concerns me.”


I wasn’t having any of that shit, but before I could say anything, Josiah did. “Brian, is this the guy you told us about?”


Michael preened, and I wanted to punch him in his nose again. “So you’ve been talking about me, Bri? Remembering the good times before Gus and Boy Wonder appeared in your life to change things?”


“What did you just say about Gus, Michael?”


“Just that you’ve changed drastically, since he and that slut appeared in your life on the same night. Aren’t you tired of playing ‘dad’ yet? I mean look at what’s happening? Your place is being torn apart by the police because…”


And that’s when I knew… FUCKER! I asked through gritted teeth, “Because of what, Michael?”


“Well it’s no secret that you bring trouble wherever you go, Justin,”  he spat my name like it was a curse. But he wasn’t finished… not by a long shot. “Let’s take a look at your track record, shall we? There was you- the stalker that didn’t know when to go home; your deranged father; Hobbs, and the best one of all, Ethan. I mean, Brian haven’t you had enough of Boy Wonder ruling and ruining your life?”


“What did you do, Michael?” Brian asked him, his eyes turning away from the loft to pin Michael in place. He really has to teach me how to do that!

 

“Noth… nothing!”


“Don’t lie to me, Michael. WHAT. DID. YOU. DO?!”


“I told you, I didn’t do anything except…”


“Except?” I knew by that softly worded question that Brian was about to pounce, and not in a good way. I moved over to stand between Jared and Brian.


Pulling the back of his shirt, I tugged hard and called his name, “Brian…”


But his eyes still didn’t leave Michael’s. “I’m going to ask you one more time, Michael, and then you go down the stairs… head fucking first. Now WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO?!”


“Don’t you see that I’m only doing what’s best for you? You’re meant to be the stud of Liberty Avenue, not this… this…. STEPFORD FAG!”


“You called CPS on Mel and me?”


“YOU’RE DAMN FUCKING RIGHT I DID!” And it happened so fast that I barely had time to grab ahold of Brian’s waist from the right side as both Jared and Josiah reached over me to take hold of Brian’s fists.


We struggled as Michael continued yelling about how he was saving Brian from his bad choices, such as being a father and pseudo-husband to me. The yelling was so loud that the downstairs neighbors called another set of police officers, who arrived in a relatively short amount of time. Once I was sure that Jared and Josiah had a good grip on Brian, I signaled to the officers coming up the stairs behind Michael.


“I would like to have this man arrested, for trespassing to start, and for fraud and embezzlement,” I stated calmly.


“You little shit! I have until tomorrow!” Michael yelled at me.


“Consider your grace period cancelled, and your freedom revoked.” I leaned into him and whispered, “You wanted to play pussy, Michael? Well you just got fucked!”


I could still hear him screaming about the injustice of it all just as the other officers came out of the loft. “Mr. Kinney, we didn’t find anything that was reported. We also didn’t find anything at your son’s mother’s house. Any idea why someone would think your were abusing and neglecting your son? Or that you or Mr. Taylor were drug addicts?”


I don’t give Brian a chance to answer. “The reason was just carted off by your colleagues. We will be down at the station first thing in the morning to file official complaints against Michael Novotny to include fraud, blackmail, extortion, embezzlement, robbery, trespass, criminal mischief, and slander.”


“Wow! That’s a lot. Do you have any proof of all of that?”


“Absolutely, which I will bring with me, while my attorney brings the rest. If I could file a legal complaint just for him being a first-rate asshole, I would be doing that, too.”


The officer nodded. “Although we tried not to mess up the place too badly, I would still suggest you pack a bag and get away from here for a few days. This is a very traumatic experience for criminals, so I can just about imagine what it’s like for wrongly-accused, law-abiding citizens. But we had to do our jobs…”


“We understand. We may not like it, but we do understand,” I reassured the officer, who obviously felt bad for the situation.

 

So Brian and I have been staying at the W for the last few nights, trying to regain our equilibrium. But now it’s time to return home, and work on setting our life back to rights. But I swear if any one- and I mean ANY FUCKING ONE- tries to defend that little motherfucker, I will end them!