- Text Size +

CHAPTER 33: SURFACING ENEMIES


DAPHNE:


Justin is probably the ballsiest man I have ever met. And I will say it again- he is the perfect match for Brian Kinney. This morning he hired his father’s fiancee, knowing good and hell well how Craig would feel about that. I know there is more to the story; more than just the fact that she’s overqualified for the job. I was surprised that he wanted to put her in the role of the department’s financial secretary, as opposed to putting her into the department with Ted.


“Why here?” I ask, as I sit down in front of his desk.


“Why here what?” he answers, not looking up from the stack of contracts he’s looking over.


“Why did you want Lori to work in your department?”


He sighs and sits back before answering my question. “I suppose the answer is three fold. The first is that she’s supremely qualified for the job. Not only does Lori hold an accounting degree, but also a Master’s degree in Legal Studies. It would behoove us to have a lawyer and accountant of our own, considering what Bob and Brad pulled while working for Ryder and Vanguard. We don’t need another situation like that and Lori’s presence would not only deter the idea of it, but should also put the brakes on it if someone decides to press their luck. Secondly, I’ve only met her once, but when I did, it was under less than ideal circumstances since I was asking Craig to pay for my next year at PIFA. Brian and I had broken up at the time and I was with he who shall remain a mistaken case of stupidity. She was nice to me, when Craig was less than gracious. And third, I knew that it would piss Craig off, but more importantly, she was looking for a way out. Being employed for the enemy would undoubtedly give her one, since Craig asked for my help to save his business. She is more than aware of how much trouble the sinking ship of Taylor Electronics is in, and knew he would be hitting her up for money momentarily. So having this job fixed it so he would burn his bridge to her bank account, and all because he’s a chauvinistic pig.”  


“Okay so all of that is one for the record, so to speak. But I know you Justin Cole Taylor, and I know when you are giving me the facts yet still withholding the entire truth.” I raise my eyebrow at him, waiting for an answer.


He rolls his eyes. “Oh alright, Penny from Inspector Gadget. Yes, there is more. Lori also found out that the educational trust my grandfather left me as an inheritance, which would have also guaranteed my freedom from Craig’s edicts, has been depleted to the point where it contained just enough money to attend Dartmouth, which was Craig’s school of choice for me.”

“What do you mean depleted?”


“It means that my grandfather left me enough money to live on, in addition to paying for the school that I wanted to go to, not Craig’s choice. By siphoning off most of my inheritance, Craig basically tied my hands with ‘Go to Dartmouth or be broke.’ Basically, I chose to be broke and yet he’s still denying me the remainder of my inheritance.”


I gasp. I can’t believe that man is so spiteful to deny Justin what rightfully belonged to him, especially after kicking him out after coming out. The man seriously needs his ass kicked! “So what are you going to do?”


“Wait for the fallout,” Justin says with a small smirk.


“What are you talking about?”


“Lori forwarded ALL of the information over to the police, including Craig’s secret involvement with Claire.”


“Oh shit! Does Brian know?”

 

“Not yet. I haven’t had a chance to tell him since we had a meeting with Mel immediately after the interview. Should be interesting to see how he takes the news.”


I laugh. “I want details!”


He snickers, “Of course, you would.”


“Damn right, I do. I’ve earned them.”


“Earned them?”


I look at him smugly. “Absolutely. All those long nights, listening to you bemoan your fate of loving Brian Kinney… A story of unrequited love, devotion, and HOT sex- the stuff where legends are born and made, and where I live vicariously!”


“You really need to find a man.”


“No, thank you. Yours is enough trouble for me.”


BRIAN:


“Although we still have a million things to organize before we’re running at full speed, we’re in pretty good shape considering that we have just taken over from Vance,” Cynthia tells me and Ted. I called a meeting with them while Justin and Daphne are interviewing today to complete the initial staff of the Art Department in Kinnetik Elite. Of the all the departments, he pulled the least amount of support staff from the other two divisions.


“So by your calculations, how many more new hires do we need and should we pull more staff from the downtown business to begin working on Thorne?”


“Honestly, if we pull any more people into the staffing of Elite, in addition to the people Justin has yet to hire, we’re going to need another building.”


Ted interjects. “For what it’s worth, Brian, I spoke to my staff down at the downtown building this morning. The response to the plan we have to make everyone work their way up from one division to the other has been well received. According to my staff, we’ve renewed their resolve to become the best agency. In fact, that’s what I wanted to talk to you about. Because most of us serve also as CPAs outside of business hours, I was wondering if we should open the accounting portion of the business to generate even more revenue. Those of us who work as financial planners already have an established client base. Of course, I’m not going to take on any more new clients beyond those I already have, including you, Justin, Cynthia, and Daphne. However, the financial planning portion of the business will still hold the Kinnetik name, and you will be able to collect a base commission from those who already have a ready client list.”


“I don’t want to cheat anyone out of their normal profits from moonlighting as CPAs, Ted. I believe that there’s nothing noble in being poor, so I wouldn’t want to stop anyone from doing all they can to prosper. I guess I’m asking what the benefit would be to them, and then to Kinnetik Enterprises as a whole?” I know Ted already knows that I’m a fair man, but I also know it’s his job to find tax breaks for us where he can. It’s why I have no qualms about giving him his head on this situation. Not only that, but he knows if he fucks me over, I’ll have him murdered. No, I don’t have to worry about Theodore betraying our interests. He’s beginning to enjoy life at long last. He won’t fuck that up for anything.


“Between Dale and I, we’ve looked into how much it would cost to start a conglomerate. I know that Josiah asked Justin if you guys were considering it. Justin asked me and requested that I run the preliminary figures. The plan is that once he officially gets the full rights to Rage, he’s thinking about turning it into a true franchise under the Kinnetik umbrella. I have to tell you that Justin is a dangerous young man once he puts his mind to something. Not only is he a WASP and a fucking genius in his own right, but he has amazing business acumen that a man twice his age would have taken years to acquire; something his father still hasn’t, in fact. Anyway, as you know, the WASP business way is all about acquisition. So to his mind, the Rage franchise would have more credence, and therefore more success if we work on establishing Kinnetik as a conglomerate much sooner than anticipated. Based on the figures, it’s entirely doable.”


“Okay, that answers part of my question, but what about the CPAs who already have established clientele?”


“In truth, the percentage you collect from their fees is the protection of the Kinnetik name, which includes use of the legal department and clerical staff. As already established employees of Kinnetik, they are already receiving a benefits package as they would if they were working full-time at a place like Wertschafters Accounting Firm. The only thing is that the Accounting Department as a whole would have to be named as a separate company. Myself, and other key staff, would maintain our positions within the three divisions, while the others would bounce between them, and service their individual clients.”


“So under the conglomerate, Justin and I would already be two businesses in?”


“More actually.”


“What?”


I already spoke to both Mel and Jenn in anticipation of this conversation. Both are willing to join Kinnetik Enterprises.”


“But I thought Mel and Janean are still linked with Donaldson?”


“Yes and no. Considering their track record, Donaldson and the other partner suggested that the girls open up their own practice, but still consult on the cases for Donaldson’s firm. But pretty much from the time they signed to build their offices here, it became their firm. So they’ve decided to flourish under Kinnetik.”


WOW! That was a lot of faith they were putting in Justin and me. Considering mine and Mel’s past history, it’s still a lot to take in. “Fine. Anything else I should know about?”


“Not really, except that HoneyGrass Elegant Creations are joining the conglomerate, too. Or at least they will should you give me the go ahead to get this started.”


“Well Justin already said to do it…”


“Yes, but like you, he won’t go ahead on this without your express approval. When will you you learn how your partner operates?” Ted shook his head at me.


“All would be fine if the little blond twat were a fucking wind-up toy, but we all know Justin. He thinks things to death, brings it back to life through mental rescuitation, and then kills it with thoughts again before making a move.”


“Like you don’t do the same,” Cynthia snickers.


I shrug. “Okay, I give you both that. Justin and I are deep thinkers, but we’re also gamblers to an extent. What’s the risk to Kinnetik if we start this now as opposed to waiting until perhaps the end of Michael’s trial?”


“Well, with all the evidence they have against him so far, and apparently more coming to light each day, I think we could make a go of it now, with the promise to any of them that half of their investment money will be given back to them should they decide they no longer want to be part of the conglomerate. It’s a win-win. Plus I’m not sure if Jared and Josiah told you, and knowing your partner I’m sure that he hasn’t mentioned it, but Josiah also wants to hire Justin as an independent consultant for Brevon Entertainment.”


“Meaning?”


“Meaning that it’s quite possibly going to be another division within the conglomerate. Josiah and his business partner, Brett, are leery about using anyone in Hollywood to draw the preliminary movie panels for pitch meetings. So whereas Justin is the co-CEO, he may also be getting his name out there on a much larger scale through his art. What I wouldn’t give to see Michael’s face when it happens. He’s spent years demeaning Justin, and screaming about how he did most of the work on the comic. But the reality is that Justin was the reason that Rage was such a success. Between allowing the first story to be told, and those of the subsequent issues, plus the untold pressure on his hand… Yeah, truth be told, if Justin had embezzled, it would have been well justified, but Michael’s greed and selfishness has no basis in reality whatsoever.”   


“So with that in mind, I also think we need to extend the services to our high-profile clients a bit more,” Cynthia tells us.


“Whoa… what do you mean?” I ask, knowing that she already has an idea forming. In all honesty, between Cynthia, Ted, and strangely, Daphne, I’m beginning to really understand the benefits of not trying to do this on my own… even if I never admit it.


“I think we could actually extend the services to include public relations. It would be something that’s only available at the Elite level, and if we think back to the whole Stockwell campaign, that was mostly your role. You were the Spin Doctor who they came to when his constituents began to see that something was rotten in the milk with his campaign.”


“But I was also the one to release the hidden facts of his public record.”


“True, which means when that knowledge becomes public during the press conference, Kinnetik as a whole will become a trusted brand within its own right. To choose the public over profit- for that’s exactly what you did Brian, whether you acknowledge it or not- shows a bone-deep integrity. Whatever words leave your lips, or those of your staff, will be met with an open mind, and possibly seen as the unadulterated truth.”


We were interrupted by the entry of my new secretary, Tremaine. At first, I thought it was only her name that was unusual, but as I’m coming to know her, that’s not all. In a lot of ways she’s like Debbie used to be to me, with a lot of Cynthia mixed in. She kind of reminds me of Weezy Jefferson with the smart mouth of Florence. It also helps that she’s Daphne’s aunt, who has been working for Vanguard Advertising for over fifteen years. Who knew?


As she looks at me over the glasses perched low on her nose, I raise my eyebrow. “Oh don’t try that look on me, Mister Kinney.” I chuckle impulsively. I can’t help it. I already know that like with Cynthia, intimidation tactics with this woman will be pointless. “You have a visitor, one who doesn’t have an appointment. He’s an employee who is requesting to speak with you directly on a personal matter- or so he says.”


“Well what do you say?” I look quizzically at her.


“I say leave the damn door open. That there one has what my mother used to call fire dick.


“You mean gonorrhea?” Ted asks, after he, Cynthia and I settle down again… or try to, at least.


“No. I mean that he’s hot in his ass. Child, even Smokey the Bear could see the flames shooting from that ass. He would happily play fast and loose if you were willing, Brian. Again I say, leave the door open.”


I snicker again. “So who is the demanding little shit?”


“That’s the other thing. He said that he wanted to surprise you. Said that he met you some time ago. And he wanted to say hello, but also to ask you for a favor.”


I roll my eyes. “Well show him in and let’s get this over with.”


“You want us to stay?”


“No.” I say, thinking that as soon as this is finished, I’ll go and see what’s going on with Justin. “It should be relatively quick. Whatever the favor is, the answer will be no. In the meantime, you two get started on the cost projections for Kinnetik to become a PR firm as well as branching some departments off to become their own entity under the Kinnetik umbrella. I can definitely see the wisdom in expanding our services. It’s just a matter of how to do it safely and with minimal costs. Besides, by the time I’m finished here, hopefully Justin will be ready for lunch. I know that in addition to the interviews he and Daph are conducting, he’s also pouring over a few proposed contracts.”


“Why?” Ted asks.


“Apparently, it’s what Justin does for fun.”


“Studying law?”


“Business Law, at that.” I shake my head. “He never ceases to amaze me. In this case, he’s looking over the contracts we’ve acquired from Vanguard to see what will work in conjunction with our policies, and what goes against them. Then he’ll approach the legal department and the client to negotiate an amicable solution for all parties.”


“I continue to see why he succeeded where so many others have tried and failed, Brian,” Ted says in amazement. “Doing that now is going to save us the manpower later if he can’t get them to agree to the new terms. I think it was pretty smart to include that Kinnetik will take on those clients provided they meet all the terms and conditions for the company, otherwise Vance will have to refund the unused portion of their deposit.”


“It was the clause Vance always overlooked in the original contracts. Harold tried to point out to the arrogant bastard that it was a mistake in case the company changed hands. But his costly mistake is our very lucrative gain, be it financially with the client, or without them. Should they decided not to stay with us, it just means that we will have the time to acquire more clients. There’s no risk to us either way.”


Cyn and Ted left to go get started on their task while I sat behind the desk waiting for this supposed mystery idiot to make his appearance. Part of me thinks that maybe it’s Ethan, or his asshole cousin trying to make a last ditch effort to fuck with Justin and me. The other thought I have is much more sinister, in that I almost feel like it’s Michael trying to unnerve the both of us from his cell. I won’t lie and say that this entire situation isn’t making me as jumpy as Justin has become over the last few days. I just can’t wait for it all to be over so that we can resume our lives, in whatever way that happens. Plus there is the fact that even though Justin and I have decided to really work on our relationship- to try monogamy- with all we have going on there really hasn’t been much time for much else.


Perhaps that’s a good thing in a lot of ways, because when we do have downtime, we’re solely focused on each other and Gus, not on going out and partying. But we can’t be completely sure if this is what we want with each other if we aren’t placed in positions of temptation, right? And the moment I look up at the newcomer, all I can think is that I should have never fucking had that thought. Because before me is my own human Justin Replacement Therapy.


“Hello, Brian,” he walks in like he owns the place. “Remember me?”


“It’s Mr. Kinney,” I answer, not acknowledging the pleasure I see in his eyes… or the innuendo. “And should I? How can I help you?”


“Well, it’s more about what I can do for you,” he says as he makes a move to close the door.


“Leave it open,” I say quickly, then clear my throat to cover my sudden discomfort. This was one of those situations that I’d never mentioned to Justin, not feeling a need to discuss my time away from him in detail. I have a feeling that particular decision is here trying to bite me in the ass… literally. “So again, what do you want?”


“Well, I was hoping that now that I’m no longer in my former profession, we could get to know each other on a much more personal level. You were the one client I had that I always said if I wasn’t in the position I was in at the time, I would try to get reacquainted with.”


“Sorry, but I don’t fraternize with the hired help,” I sneer.


“What about that blond kid?” he laughs. “You know it’s funny but I never thought about why you hired me. Your tastes were very specific. It wasn’t until the interview at the company-wide meeting that I began to put two-and-two together. I’d only been working for Vanguard for a month before the takeover. I heard you worked here so it’s where I decided to apply once I received my degree.”


“Good for you, on the degree track. All that money you’ve earned should have been used for something to better your station in life. However, you’re barking up the wrong tree if you think you’re getting a repeat performance.”


“Why not?” This meeting clearly isn’t going the way he thought. “I mean, you don’t even have to pay me this time.”


“Look, Mr….”


“Justin…”


I laugh, but frown at the same time. I remember calling him that while I was cumming the first night I’d hired him. “Never in a million years would you ever be compared to Justin, except for the blond of your hair. The rest of you just doesn’t measure up.”


“But from what I’ve heard of you, it never mattered before.”


“Yeah well, be careful what you listen to,” I say, getting tired of this conversation. “You know, I don’t really even care what your name is at this point. I was only concerned so that I could show you a modicum of respect before I kick your ass out of my office and advise you not to come back for any reason beyond your job description.”


“It’s Troy Perkins.”


“Good to know,” I say, even though I was about to point out that he’d gone by a different name when I’d ordered him from the escort service. “Now that we have officially met, I will offer a little advice. Don’t try this shit again. Sexual harassment is against company policy and I won’t hesitate to fire your ass. As for your insinuation about my relationship with Justin, first it’s none of your business, second he’s co-owner of Kinnetik. So if you would like to keep working here, you would do well to fuck off now.”


Before he has a chance to respond, Justin comes into the office, looking ready to start throwing shit. “Brian, are you ready to get out of here? I need a fucking break. You won’t believe who my last interview was just…” he trails off as he sees that I’m not alone. “Sorry, I didn’t know you were in a meeting.”


“I’m not, exactly. Mr. Perkins was just leaving.”


“What the hell are you doing here?!” Justin asks, in a tone I very rarely have ever heard him use. “Do you know who he is?!”


“Justin… I…” I begin to explain, but he holds up his hand.


“What the hell are you doing here, Troy?” Justin narrows his eyes at the man, who is smugly smirking back.


“I was just reacquainting myself with my boss. Although when we first met, he wasn’t my boss back then.”


“That’s fine and well. How is your father doing now that he’s out of a job?” Justin asks, with venom dripping from his voice. I have the feeling that I’m missing quite a bit, before Justin turns to me and states, “He’s Mitchell Perkins’ son, Brian.”


“As in the Headmaster of St. James Academy?”


“Indeed, but he’s the former headmaster now. Troy here was kicked out of his home as I was for being gay, but there was more to that story wasn’t there, Troy?”


“I… I…”


“Do yourself a favor, Troy. Mind your manners with my partner here, and I keep your secrets. Fuck with Brian or me, and you won’t like the consequences.” Justin looks like he would really like for Troy to test him.


As he leaves the office, he looks well spooked, but something tells me it won’t last long. Turning back to Justin, I notice how unwell he is looking, even though I doubt Troy noticed. “What’s happened?”


He closes his eyes and swallows hard. “I swear my past just keeps popping up all over the place today. First, Lori, now Troy. Before that…”


“Wait a minute… you said Lori? As in Craig’s fiancee Lori?”


“Yes. Although we should probably call her his ex-fiancee by now. I hired her to be the Financial Secretary for the Art Department. But that was a very good decision, since she’s holds both a degree in accounting and a Master’s degree in Legal Studies. The interviews were going pretty well, and I’ve managed to get some people in who I feel could really be assets to the company. But the last two… who knew I would have to contend with Eric Maloney today, and then that fucker’s brother!”


“Who the fuck is this Maloney character, and who’s his brother?” I ask completely confused at Justin’s reaction. It’s not like him to be frazzled without just cause, but I can’t help but notice the increased trembling. And that usually only means one thing…


“Eric is the virgin I slept with whom I kissed at that frat party some time ago; the first person I broke the rules with. But the other… the other…”


“Justin, would you just spit it out already!”


He sighs, both defeated and nervous, but for what I don’t know. Scrubbing his hands down his face, he finally collects himself as much as he is able right now. “The other is Christian Hobbs, the estranged twin brother of Christopher Marc Hobbs. The out-and-proud GAY twin brother of the guy who tried to kill me.”

 

And I just hold him as he falls apart.