- Text Size +

 

 

 

CHAPTER 47: REVELATIONS OF THE PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE


TED:


There are times when watching Justin work leaves me in awe. I mean, to think that so much genius lies within such a little compact body is truly humbling. But it’s when he joins with both his mother and his best friend that I truly become speechless. Hearing them speak in riddles only known to them is almost as fascinating as numbers to me.


“Did she…” Jennifer begins only to be answered before I even get the gist of the question.


“Yes, mom. She thought she would remain hidden. Although Claire thought she was pulling the strings, the true puppet master was…


“Lindsay Peterson,” Daphne finishes.


“But why would Lindsay risk everything like that?” Mel asks before I have a chance to do so.


“When you think about it, it’s really simple. If she had gotten away with the whole Gui thing, she could accidently find these documents, and go to the Judicial Review Board stating that she was reporting you for fraud, Mel,” Jennifer says.


“Then whose shoulder do you think she would cry on about what she just had to do?” Daphne asks. It never really occurred to me that she was of that world as much as Jennifer and Justin.


“Of course she would cry to Brian. That’s a given, but what else would she have to… oh my God, she wouldn’t!”


“What? What wouldn’t she do?” I ask, feeling like I’m missing something vital.


“Yes, she would,” Dale confirms. “And that’s what the account was actually for!”


“For what?” I snap. “And stop talking in riddles!”


Instead of being offended, they all laugh. “Sorry, Ted. It’s hard to remember that as much as you’ve been around me, you’re not fluent in WASP. I’ll make it my mission personally to see to your education. But to explain this, you have to revisit the past, to get to what Lindsay saw her present as being, in order to know what her future goal was in having all these documents- or should we say, evidence.”


“It’s pretty straightforward when you know where to look. Right now, in your mind, you’re just following the money, which somehow all leads back to Melanie. But if you take a closer look, you’ll see her end game as clear as day,” Daphne says as she hands me the sheaf of papers to go along with the ledgers I was pouring over. “Note that Lindsay’s name appears on practically everything except that account.”


“True, but Melanie made Lindsay her beneficiary in case Mel became incapacitated for any reason.”


“Indeed, but how would anything bad happen to Mel, short of a fatal accident?” Justin asks, rhetorically. “Lindsay didn’t want Mel dead, just out of the way permanently. What better way to do it than have Melanie arrested on corruption and bribery charges. See? She even included information about Melanie’s former association with Jim Stockwell in here, prior to his mayoral campaign.”


“To the natural and untrained eye, it would look like Melanie was in the former police chief’s pocket, when in reality it was Lindsay,” Jennifer tells us.


“But where does Michael fit into her scheme?” The whole mess is just so convoluted that it’s hard to see the pieces of this puzzle without it being pointed out in black and white.


“It’s not just Michael, but his and Lance’s association with Craig that was of interest to Lindsay. Michael always suffered from diarrhea of the mouth, so it would stand to reason that Lindsay would use that to leak information to Gardner Vance about Brian and Justin’s anti-Stockwell campaign, which would ultimately cost Brian his job. Craig has always been tighter than ten toes in a sock with Jim Stockwell, stemming back from their St. James days. So of course, he would support the police chief’s bid for mayor, happily using the stolen money from Justin trust fund, especially since Craig didn’t think gays should have any rights, including the one to breathe. Lance was just the computer genius she needed to funnel all of the information compiled in those packets; he just didn’t realize that he was also implicating himself by doing so. It also helped that Craig used him for the Taylor Electronics website, and inventory maintenance. So in exchange for him getting her the information she needed to clear Brian’s life of anyone and anything that didn’t support her dreams of becoming Mrs. Brian Kinney, Lindsay gave him full access to the loft, and Brian’s whereabouts after hours.”


“I thought that was Michael,” I interject.


“How do you think she got the word out without the fingers pointing back to her?” Melanie says. “Lindsay is the QUEEN of suggestions, Teddy. She has this way about her that will make you think she’s right even when she’s dead wrong in what she’s saying. It’s how she kept us all in line, playing our roles within the scope of her life.”


I can tell she’s hurt by all of this. The fact that Lindsay was willing to mess with Mel’s life and especially her career, shows the depth of malice living within the blonde. But that the Black Widow could do all of this without a trace of guilt while looking as innocent as the Madonna… well that just pisses me off! “So what do we do to extricate Mel out of the web Lindsay tried to stick her onto?”


“Let me handle it,” Justin says.


“How? You’re just a pup in her eyes, you know?”


“And that’s where she always makes her mistake when dealing with me, Ted. But the fact is that no one can fluster Lindsay like I can, except for Mom. Since she can’t be there, I’m going to take full advantage of the three visits we have with her, and get a complete confession from her. I just need Brian and Mel to let me do it.”


“As if we could stop you,” Brian drawls.


“You can and have before,” Justin says back, then stares at Brian daring him to contradict him. “I’m the one who Lindsay still believes is easily led by her. Remember, she wasn’t in the room when I came down hard on Michael. All she ever sees when she looks at me is sweet, innocent little Justin, never realizing that I could never have kept your attention being that kind of person. That was why she needed Ethan.”


“What do you mean?” Melanie asks.


“She had to return me to the picture she had of me within her mind,” Justin answers matter-of-factly. “Anything else would have been unacceptable to her. Using my own mixed emotions against me, she made it so that I would question everything I was doing to and with Brian. Ethan was the tool she used to get me out of Brian’s life, and to try to keep me contained. She knew that eventually I would heal in a way that her words would once again have no effect on me, like they hadn’t when she was warning me not to expect too much from Brian. She was telling me then that although I could expect it, whatever he would do for me would never compare to what he would do for her. Only I didn’t realize it at the time. But the closer Brian and I got, especially after the bashing, the more she noticed her house of carefully-constructed cards crumbling down. So she had to remove the proverbial stiff wind that would leave her assed out. She couldn’t use her only bargaining chip, which is Gus, without you and Brian seeing through her motives.

 

"So enter Ethan with his clinginess, jealousy, and insecurity. I spent so much time reassuring him, that I inadvertently left Brian open to all the attacks aimed at him from her, Michael, Claire, and Craig. It’s something that I never would have done had I recognized her game the way I used to before Chris Hobbs knocked the sense out of me. But better late than never. So again, I have to ask. Will you let me handle her my way?”


“We can do that, Justin,” Melanie answers for her, and apparently Brian as well. “But I’m sure we will have some questions of our own.”


“I’d prefer if you ask them at the beginning of the interviews. If I know Lindsay, she'll try to figure out what you know while spinning the answers she gives you,” Justin advises before Jennifer interjects.


“And most of all, please remember to keep your tempers in check. The idea is to fluster and frustrate her, not the two of you. She’ll be looking for your reactions.”


“Also, seem poised and willing to cooperate. She’ll try to identify with you by asking about Gus first and foremost,” Daphne says.


“But isn't that normal since she is his biological mother?” Dale asks.


Daphne shakes her head. “On the surface, the immediate answer would be yes. But they are dealing with someone constantly looking for an angle to meet her own ends. By giving her all the information regarding Gus, she'll be able to distract and deflect the real issue while trying to reestablish a tie to them; she'll aim to tug at their heartstrings. It's how things work in the WASP nest.”


“The mere presence of Justin will announce to her that it’s not a social call, but she'll try to deliberately ignore that,” Jennifer tells us.


The door opens to admit none other than Joan Kinney. I’m inclined to ask what the hell she’s doing back here, but Dale shakes his head slightly and I fall back into line. It’s been fun with him. He lets me be me in certain areas, but with just the smallest gesture I know when he’s Master. But unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way for one person within the office.


“What the hell is she doing here?” The scowl on her face says everything I couldn’t.


“Mom, Brian and I haven’t had a chance to talk to you yet but…”


“No buts! I want to know what she is doing here, and I want to hear it directly from her!” Jennifer moves over to stand in front of Mrs. Kinney, menace seeping through every pore of her slight frame. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so angry.


“I beg your pardon, but I came to see my son…” Joan answers, standing as ramrod straight as Jennifer is.


“Well my sons are not interested in any mean-spirited thing you have to say. So march your iron-haired, tight-lipped ass right back out of here before I allow what you’ve done to Brian to cause me to repay it in kind,” she says as she begins to take off her earrings, and the bracelet adorning her left wrist. “Daphne, where the hell is the vaseline?”


“Mom, stop!” Justin yells. “Daphne, do NOT go to your purse and pull out the fucking vaseline! My mother will NOT be greasing up her face to prevent scratches. And God bless Jesus and his angels but why the hell did you teach her THAT?!”


Daphne shrugs. “It’s a useful thing to know when going into a fist fight. Vaseline makes it virtually impossible to leave a mark on the skin because the it’s too slick to allow someone to grab, or scratch. And besides, who better to extract a pound of flesh from Brian’s mother than your own?”


“Oh Christ, this is NOT the fucking Jerry Springer Show! Daph, you know what happened earlier today…”


“Yes, I do. It doesn’t mean that I don’t still want to see her get the business end of Jennifer’s fists though. After all, she gave birth to Claire, whose made it her life’s mission to hurt the man I will always consider my brother. So Jennifer, grease up!”


Justin sighs exasperated as he pulls Joan Kinney out of reaching distance of his mother. “You know what, I will deal with the both of you later. In the meantime, Mrs. Kinney, what’s happened?”


“I came straight here from the police station. Claire called me from there wanting me to hire a lawyer for her,” she says a little warily. Honestly, I don’t blame her with the narrow-eyed look being aimed in her direction from Jennifer. I think Jenn would go up against Christ himself if it meant that Brian or Justin was hurt. She makes a helluva better surrogate mom compared to the one we lost in Deb.


“And what’s going on, Joan?” Brian asks, finally recovering his voice after witnessing Jennifer Taylor almost turn cavewoman. I think it’s had the same effect on everyone else in the room except Justin and Daphne. Each are still fuming, albeit for different reasons.


“Claire has been orchestrating your downfall for years. And do you know why? Jealousy! She thinks that she and her machinations should be lauded for the man you’ve become. By the way, she mentioned that you have a son.”


Brian turned just in time to catch Jennifer around her waist. “If you think I’m going to let her anywhere near Gus, I’ll pop you one, too!”


Brian turned her around to look the mother of his heart straight into her eyes. “Jenn, Joan came to us this morning, acknowledging what she did and offering an olive branch of sorts. The fact that she’s here, instead of automatically siding with Claire as she had in the past, speaks volumes.”


“Don’t tell me that you’re just going to let her off the hook, Brian. She… she…” Jennifer breaks down sobbing against him. I don’t think I have ever heard someone sound so broken before, let alone broken on someone else’s behalf.


“I know, Jenn. I was there, remember?” Brian sighs. “But I was hoping that you would talk to her. You know, give her all the information of what it is like to have gay sons. She and I have more in common than you might think. And although the time to mother me has passed for her, I think maybe… maybe she could become a friend?” Brian says completely unsure of the idea, but I’ve been coming to know Brian for awhile now. He’s hoping.


“Are you sure, Brian?” Jennifer asks him, still clinging onto his shirt. “I’ll kill anyone who even thinks to hurt you again!”


Joan clears her throat, forestalling Brian’s answer. “For what it’s worth, Mrs. Taylor. I have no intention of hurting either Brian nor Justin. As I explained to them earlier today, a near-death experience has put a lot into perspective for me in terms of how I viewed Brian in the past. I would like the chance to get to know the man he’s become while I was drowning myself in drink and self-pity. He thought you might be able to help me with that.”


Jennifer stares at her silently, processing her words and trying to gauge the truth of them. Seeming to come to a decision she huffs, “Fine. But I will warn you now that one misstep where Brian is concerned, and I will pick up where I haven’t even started...yet. Consider yourself warned. Now, what is it that you’ve rushed in here to tell us?”


Joan nods and tells us of the last hour she’d just spent in the company of Claire Townsend. I think the thing that surprised us all is the lengths Joan went to get Claire to confess to her part in this whole mess. Of course, whereas most of it follows what we’ve already managed to piece together for ourselves, but it also contradicts what we thought of as the mastermind role Lindsay has been playing.


“So let me get this straight… Claire has been blackmailing Lindsay in exchange for her silence regarding Gus?” Melanie asks for clarification.


“That’s what Claire gloated about the most, so yes. She was particularly happy that she managed to save over forty grand of the money she’s been collecting for keeping secrets for years.”

 

"Lindsay would have known that, and decided to play along," Justin says. "There's a piece of this puzzle that I'm missing...and I'm sure it lies with Lindsay."

 

"What do you mean?" Daphne asks.

 

"I'm thinking along the lines of reverse blackmail, but I can't be sure until I talk to Lindsay."


“And you hold Claire’s power of attorney?” Melanie asks, as she looks through the stack of papers, probably trying to see Justin's angle. Apparently, it's another WASP trait to be completely cryptic. I guess it's all about the element of surprise, and not simply knowing your enemy.


“Yes, why?”


“Because Mrs. Kinney, your grandsons were with my daughter when Claire and Craig were taken into custody. They are currently in the breakroom with a woman named Annette,” Jennifer answers her.


“Annette Humphries?”


“Yes. Do you know her?”


“I remember her well. She used to be around John, Senior all the time and was very protective of him. It kind of reminds me of how Daphne is with Brian and Justin. That means Senior is probably on his way by now.”


“Do you think she’s told him everything?” Brian asks Joan.


“More than likely, but then again, this situation is too delicate to be done without a face-to-face meeting. Even though I can’t personally take care of Junior and Peter, it doesn’t mean that I want them so far away from me that I can’t see them on a regular basis.”


“Hold the histrionics, Joan,” Jennifer says, but I can already see the wheels turning in her blonde little head. “I've spoken with the boys, and they don’t want to be separated. In addition to that, Molly won’t take too kindly to being separated from her brothers, either. As far as she’s concerned, she has three brothers and as long as she remains the only sister, she’ll be perfectly happy.”


Justin smiles wide. “She said that?”


“Word perfect,” Jennifer chuckles before sobering again. “This means that we have some decisions to make. It helps that you have Claire’s power of attorney Joan, but ultimately, the decision still has to rest with the parent on record. And that’s John, Senior.”


Joan nods. “Oh, that reminds me. Brian, Officer Pettigrew accompanied me here. He said that he had a message to give you from Detectives Horvath and Carver.”


Brian takes a close look at the tell-tale blush staining his mother’s cheeks. “And is that all he accompanied you for?”


“I-uh… Brian, he… well we’ve decided to go for coffee when his business, and mine, are concluded,” she rushes out, eyes steadily regarding him defiantly.

 

So that’s where that look comes from! I almost want to laugh aloud as it is now Brian’s turn to blush at the implication that this might be more than just a coffee break for Joan.


“Well, okay then. I guess you should show the good officer in so that you two can go have your date.”


“It’s not a date, Brian.”


“And I’m not gay, Joan,” Brian answers flippantly with his smirk firmly in place.


“Brian…”


“Joan…”


“Stop that!”


“Stop what? I haven’t done anything.”


“Maybe not, but you’re thinking of doing something. You always got this look of mischief which turns your eyes golden brown, especially when you’re up to something.”


“They do not. And besides, mischief is beneath me.”


“Brian, cut it out,” Justin snickers. “For the record, she’s right. Your eyes change color with whatever mood you’re in. And golden brown while still purporting to look innocent usually means mischief.”


“Not trouble?”


“No. But I promise that if you’re good now, you can get into major trouble later.” Justin licks his bottom lip, leaving no doubt of how bad he wants to be with Brian later. Oh to be a fly on the wall during the punishment phase! I’ll definitely be checking out how they are walking around tomorrow. Makes for great entertainment!


“Boys!” Jennifer’s stern warning brings the two back into focus quickly. “Behave yourselves, otherwise I can promise you that the trouble will NOT be pleasant and the punishment even worse. I swear, you two really need the equivalent of a chastity belt when you’re outside of your own home.”


“They need one within it, too,” Melanie mutters, much to the laughter of everyone else.   


“Joan, can you please show Officer Pettigrew in so that he can deliver the message from Carl and Joanne.”


A tall, thin gentleman accompanies Joan back into the room. I take a minute to study the two of them, and yes, there is the first flush of flirting going on. It’s strange to realize that a woman around the same age as my own mother was, or should I say is, capable of being coy. It makes me wonder-and perhaps vomit in my mouth just a little bit- if this was how my own parents were when they first met.

 

Like most people, I prefer to think of my parents as asexual beings, or if they had to have sex, they only did it once to conceive me. Any evidence to the contrary will have me running for the nearest bottle of Clorox to try to bleach my brain from the images it may conjure out of spite for thinking about parental sex in the first place.


“So Officer Pettigrew, two things,” Brian begins. “What are your plans with my mother, and what message do you have for me? I would like my questions answered in the order asked please.”


“Why does that matter?” Officer Pettigrew asks, and I can see that not only is the answer important to him, but that he’s amused by it as well.


“My mother is returning to life after a long absence from living it instead of merely existing. It would be a terrible thing if she got her hopes up about a man, only to find out that she has a certain type called Asshole.”

 

"Brian!" Joan and Jennifer attempt to scold him, but Brian is as unapologetic as always.


But to his credit, instead of being offended, the officer just laughs. “That would be just as bad as me having my hopes dashed from finding that my type is called Bitch. That said, right now, Joan and I are interested in establishing a friendship. But if that changes, I promise that you will be the first to know, even before she does. I’m traditional in that way, where I might not be in others. Is that okay?”


Brian is silent for a moment, looking at the man as if he is examining him part and parcel under a microscope. I’ve been the recipient of that gaze a time or two, and I can say honestly that it is probably one of the most unnerving experiences I’ve ever had. On one hand, your body feels hot. You feel every regard of his eyes like an actual caress, and it just makes you want more of it. But the on the other hand, you wonder if anything within you- all those secret vices you’ve gladly hidden away from the world- were just exposed by this mere man. I’m actually in awe of the man standing casually with his arm around Joan Kinney’s shoulders as he returns the look to Brian. Apparently, Brian is impressed, too, as indicated by the slight nod and tilt of his head.


“Well now that part one of the getting to know you phase is complete, what is the message from Horvath and Carver?”


“It’s a list actually, of what you can and cannot address in the interview you and the other Mr. Taylor-Kinney are planning. To do so would compromise the case.”


“Understood,” Brian says as he looks over the sheet of paper before handing it to Justin. “Most of these our public relations team, consisting of Cynthia, Daphne, and Melanie will be handling, with Ted as backup should he be necessary.”


I nearly choke on my coffee. “Boss?”


“Don’t do that, Ted. This is the perfect opportunity to get used to the idea of speaking in public which you will learn to do often. You’re one of the executives in Kinnetik so sitting behind your desk and hiding within ledgers is not the only thing in your future. So suck it up, Buttercup, or whatever the hell you’re being called this week. You’re on this train, so ride it.”


I nod, knowing exactly what he’s telling me. The Theodore Schmidt of the past died the night I checked myself into rehab. This is the chance to not only prove myself, but to reinvent who I am in the grand scope of my own life as well. “When’s the interview?”


“A week from tomorrow,” Justin answers me, looking to Cynthia and Daphne for confirmation.


“And the press conference?”


“The day before, so you’ll have plenty of time to prepare.”

 

“I’ll be ready,” I assure them both, standing just that little bit taller because of the faith they have in me. And wouldn’t you know it? I’m starting to really believe in me, too.