- Text Size +

CHAPTER 48: CLASH OF THE WASP Part 1: YOU READY?


MELANIE:


I really have to hand it to the men who I call BJTK and Honeycutt Associates. Because of them, I can honestly say I feel battle-ready. Yesterday, after going over the financials and at least getting a base knowledge and understanding of Lindsay’s motives spanning back from the day she first met Brian Kinney to the present day, Brian decided that I was not going to face Lindsay in my usual attorney attire.


“Mel, you cannot go in there looking like you belong in the Big Q showroom. Do they even have a showroom? Anyway, as I said to Ted, you’re part of the executive team of Kinnetik Enterprises now. It’s time you look like it.”


“O-kay… that’s my cue,” Justin said. “Mel, good luck, and Brian, have fun.”


I laughed aloud when Quick Draw McGraw otherwise known as Brian Kinney snagged Justin around the waist, preventing the him from beating a hasty retreat. “Uh-huh, Sunshine. It’s OUR duty to get Smelly Melly up to our standards, which means you’re coming along. I promise to make it worth your while later,” Brian coaxed, and I could see the moment Justin’s resolve melted.


When Brian licked the shell of his ear before whispering into it, I have to wonder what he said to cause that mixed look of bliss and embarrassment which had come across Justin’s face. Of course, I could just about guess because of the resulting labored breathing coming from Justin and the low, rumbling chuckling emitting from Brian as he continued to hold his lover within the shelter of his body. The sudden flush of Justin’s skin and the fine sheen of sweat forming along his hairline and dappling his small, but flared nostrils gave whatever Brian’s words to him were, action.


As I stood there watching them, part of me was jealous. I also felt like an intruder on such a private moment. But then again, considering how much they love public sex, I didn’t feel any guilt for being fascinated by the two of them. However, the other part of me was elated for them. It had taken many highs and lows to get them to the point they are now. I feel a little responsible for their road being so rough in the beginning, since I was viewing Brian through Lindsay and Michael-colored glass, and feeling very protective towards Justin. I can honestly say that I’m so glad I opened my eyes to the real Brian Kinney- the one that Justin always knew was there hidden beneath the tough exterior- before it was too late to undo the damage I had done due to my own insecurity. It makes what Lindsay has done ten times as bad, because I think deep in her heart she knew that Brian was and is the type to love with his whole heart only once. She knew that it would never be her, but it didn’t stop her from trying to make it so. My only question is why?


Once we left Kinnetik, Brian took me to his favorite tailor. I was surprised to find Emmett there, already speaking with the man on my behalf. Brian’s innocent look wasn’t fooling me, especially since Joan and Justin pointed out the look he gets when he is up to something. And he definitely is, considering that Emmett walks over to him, with just a little more pep in his step than usual.


“Eugene went to get what you ordered. He should be back any moment,” Em tells him.


“Good. Since there isn’t any time to waste. Make sure that everything is rung up and the receipt given to Ted. Make sure to include your fee in that,” Brian responds.


“Brian, I can’t do that. This is already costing you a small fortune.”


“No, it’s going to be considered a business expense. If it makes you feel better, put it in the account for HoneyGrass and use it for business purposes instead of your own needs. But I would suggest you use it to move into a better neighborhood. Also, you need a larger kitchen. You can’t keep working in that shoebox apartment, although Vic’s new place isn’t half bad.”


“I know that you’re right, Brian, but honestly, where would I go? Everything I’ve been earning so far, I’ve either been putting back into the business, or used it to work on starting the other phase…”


“What other phase?” I asked, because it was the first time I’d heard of it as Em’s attorney. “Is it another partnership?”


“Sort of, but with a silent partner. In fact, as of right now, he’s my only paying client. But since he and his partner are always dressed impeccably of late, I’m pretty sure that will change very soon.”


“Well, I want to see the contract as soon as possible.”


“Right now we’re working strictly on the barter system. He gives me free advertisement, while throwing business my way, and in return I’m pretty much at his beck and call for hours on end.”


“And that works for you?”


“It has its advantages. Who else can laud the fact that they get to dress the fantastic physique of the statuesque Mr. Brian Kinney, himself?”


“Brian?” I say, as shocked as I feel.


“Yes. I have become his and Baby’s personal haberdasher. Only instead of catering to disco trash, I’m dressing two of Pittsburgh’s most notorious gay gods. And with the arrival of Eugene momentarily, I can add to my client list yet again.”


“Speaking of which, you need to dress Ted,” Brian informs him. “Although he’s the CFO of a soon-to-be multi-billion dollar corporation, he’s still dressing for the job he had, and not the career he has now. Is that going to be a problem for you?”


“Of course not, Brian. Teddy and I… well we were a mistake as a couple, even if we did learn and grow from the experience. It doesn’t stop the fact that I love him and want him to look his best. But I know now that I was never in love with Teddy. We would have imploded sooner or later. Although I would have preferred to skip the Lifestyles of the Codependent Chronicles part of our lives. But well, what are you going to do, right?”


I walked over to Emmett and hugged him. Even knowing how much Ted’s addiction hurt me, I never really thought of how much tougher it had to have been on Emmett. Sure, he stayed at my house until Ted checked himself into rehab, but he was mostly silent about it. He never betrayed Ted’s confidence or told of what actually motivated him to leave Teddy the way he did; only said that he needed some time away to save his sanity. Again I was reminded of the differences between how Emmett, Brian, and Justin handled their personal traumas in comparison to Michael and Lindsay. Sadly over time, I also realize that somewhere along the way, I lost the same quiet strength each of these men possess which allows them to suffer in silence instead of looking for or demanding that someone to fix their shit. It was very humbling.


At the moment Eugene walked in with about six heavy garment bags, I automatically knew just who Em’s new client was. If the smile on his face upon seeing me wasn’t enough to confirm my suspicions, the fact that Justin was smiling while subtly moving to stand between me and the exit did. “Oh hell no! Kinney, what the hell did you do?!”


Brian sighed. “How many times do I have to remind you that my name is Taylor-Kinney now. And I didn’t do a thing… well, not by myself in any event.”


“Mel, like Brian told you before, it’s time to dress for the career you want, not the one you have. Or should that be had, since you have your own firm now and have also partnered with Kinnetik? So Brian and I hired Emmett, and decided to expand Emmett’s client base, beginning with the staff of Kinnetik. He is determined that, no one at the highest levels of management will look less than stellar, even if they can’t match him.”


“Wow! Conceited, much?”


Brian just shook his head. “No. It’s about knowing your worth and dressing in accordance to it. Although you are used to a variety of clients within your law practice, the fact is that you will also be working with some high-powered ones due to your role within Kinnetik. The people who come through those doors should never see you as someone who shops at any place which ends in the word ‘mart’. Dressing as if you do will have them seeing you as easy prey when we all know that you are anything but. It’s why I count all my suits and accessories as a business expense. Presentation is everything, Mel, and that most certainly extends to the staff within Elite’s vaunted halls. If you don’t invest in yourself, how the hell are you going to expect anyone else to?”


Do you have any idea how much I hate it when Brian makes sense? I mean his arguments are damn near irrefutable. And even if they are, once he explains his reasoning, you begin to rethink your own stance. He kind of reminds me of that damn computer, Viki, from “I, Robot”, where she kept lauding my logic is undeniable. I wanted to smack the fucking thing sideways, but still couldn’t exactly downplay what she thought she was trying to do. And I think I need more fucking coffee, because I simply have to be caffeine-deficient if this entire thought process of comparing Brian Kinney- oh sorry, Taylor Kinney- to a robot, is making perfect sense to me.


After we parted ways with Emmett and came home, I wanted to yell at Brian and Justin for spending so much damn money on me. That money could have been put to better use, but they reminded me of the clause in the contracts that I’d forgotten they requested I put in there when we were all signing them. All members of the managerial staff within Elite get a clothing allowance as part if their expense account package. This includes the head of the departments within Elite as well, since they also attend meetings and functions with the goal of growing the business. Although it’s not to be abused and has a spending limit paid and reevaluated per quarter, over half of the cost is absorbed by the top level of the company because of the amount of commission on each account they sign.


Ironically, the entire idea is also protected by an NDA, so even if I wanted to stand on Brian’s desk with my hands on my hips and throw a tantrum about it, I couldn’t do that. No employee at the highest level can talk about this particular fringe benefit unless it’s among themselves and with their respective tailors. The itemized billing received within mere minutes via email details every single purchase made so the expense account cannot be used for anything personally related at all. Not even a simple breakfast, lunch, or dinner avoids scrutinization if it falls under the expense account. And any bill over five hundred dollars within a single charge must be pre-authorized by me, Janean, Daphne, Ted, Cynthia, or the Taylor-Kinneys themselves. I swear both Brian and Justin think of every fucking thing.  


So as I’m standing here looking at myself in the full-length mirror, I have to admit that Brian and Justin were right, even if I’m loathe to acknowledge it. I notice that my spine is just that little bit straighter than normal as I run my hands down the Emporio Armani suit in red. Justin requested that I wear it because according to how Lindsay’s mind works, it’s the color of power, not passion. I was reminded that she wore the same color, although a much cheaper brand of suit, when she appeared at the Kinnetik Elite offices for the first time. Jennifer was kind enough to lend me the Tiffany bracelet she received as a mother’s day gift some years ago from Justin and Molly with the matching earrings. But for strength of character and will, I donned the antique locket my mother had given me.


I hear the door latch click and turn around. I couldn’t help both the surprise and delight that came over my face as Emmett steps into the room… with his eyes closed. “Mel honey, are you decent?”


“Sure. Just let me tuck my tit and put away my neon green dildo,” I say, and it was worth every bit of his look of near-fainting. I burst out laughing. “Emmett, I was kidding. Open your eyes!”


He does as I say, holding his heart with one hand and what looks to be a mini suitcase in the other. “Honey, you do not play with a gay man like that! We’re likely to run screaming from the room, asking Jesus to kill the visual and blind us on the way.”


“Ah, come on, Em. Women’s bodies are beautiful. Even Justin thinks so.”


“I suppose he would since he’s an artist. And although I like to dress up women as my personal Barbie, or G.I. Jane doll, it doesn’t mean that I want to see money shots or tits and ass along the way.”


I laugh again. “Point well taken since I’ve seen more of Brian and Justin in the last week than I ever had of hetero porn as a curious teenager.”


“Oh, have you now? Dish!”


“You perv,” I say, laughing almost uncontrollably. “What exactly are you doing here?”


“Spoilsport!” He exclaims as he moves over to the vanity in the corner by the ensuite. “Well, Mel my Belle, it occurred to me that my work was not exactly finished where you are concerned. And might I say that you look stunning in that suit! Red definitely suits you much better than it ever did Lindsay. But anyway, since you’re going to see the Cunty Club Diva herself, I thought that you, Princess, would give her something to really regret. So with the help of this queen, Sugar, it’s time for Madam Narcissist to get a healthy dose of the reality of what she will be missing while languishing away in Club Fed.”


“You sure are a king of colloquialism today, Em, but I love your way of thinking. I was just about to slap on some foundation and blush and be done with it.”


“No, no, NO! You must not just slap anything on your face wearing that outfit. That is a high-powered suit, Darling, so therefore you must complete the look with a runway model face. Sit on down and let Auntie Em work a little magic.”


“Okay, but not too much, Em. I don’t know if I can walk around with my face feeling heavier than Lindsay’s sag-bags all day.”


“Again with the visuals, Mel! Don’t do that to me! Lindsay’s tits are certainly a subject that is, say it with me now…”


“OFF LIMITS!” I laugh, having gotten the message loud and clear. “You know, Em, you’re not bad to have around for an early morning play date.”


“That’s good to know,” he says as he first applies a lightweight primer to my face which smells surprisingly good and feels a lot like lotion. Then he swirls a powdery looking foundation around with a brush and taps lightly. At my look of confusion he says, “It’s mineral makeup, which is easy to apply and a lot less messy than liquid foundation especially considering the weather we’ve been having. I brought a compact for you take with you so you can touch up your makeup at will. So you just empty a little into the cap, swirl, tap, and buff into your skin. Easy peasy!”


Em and I keep up a steady conversation as he applies my makeup, which takes only about fifteen minutes for my entire face. To me, that’s amazing, because honestly I would have just finished trying to apply foundation for the third time, after messing up twice. Makeup for me has always been a chore, which is why I only pick certain times to use anything beyond a little blush, and lip gloss. “Holy shit, I look nice!” I exclaim as he removes the smock which protected my clothes.


“Why wouldn’t you think you would? Mel, even without makeup, you’re an incredibly beautiful woman. I wish you would see that of yourself. You have to stop letting Lindsay think that you were the one lucky to have her, instead of the other way around. You not only have a beautiful heart and soul, you have absolutely flawless skin, which is truly a gift! These products only enhance what God above has given you, Sugar. It’s time you start realizing that!”


“Thank you, Emmett… for everything,” I say, holding back a small sob. It was like confirmation of what Brian and Justin have been telling me for weeks now.


“No problem, Sweetie. That’s what Auntie Em is here for. Now if you’re interested, Cyn, Daph, and I will be having a little pajama party on Friday night. Since Brandon will be working, we’ll be playing in makeup, doing our toenails, and watching the oldies but goodies featuring the Queen Bees of yesteryear. You should come.”


“I don’t know, Em. Gus…”


“Oh no, you don’t. First, my little Gussie is always welcome at my place, you know that. But this is GBF night…”


“GBF?”


‘Yes, darling. Just as behind every gay boy is a great fag hag, so too behind every woman should be a gay best friend. I’m officially adopting you into the fold since Teddy is otherwise engaged at the moment. So in light of all that, I’m sure Gus’ daddies would love to do their fatherly duty and set you free from the self-imposed exile which has kept you from living life. Call me and let me know how the meeting goes today. But rest assured, I’ll be back in the morning to work my magic again.”


And with that my fairy God-Auntie was gone, leaving me both stunned and laughing in his wake. I take one more look at myself in the full-length mirror, marveling at how well put together I really am. But the most amazing thing for me is that I feel different; like my life, which has been in park all these years, is about to hit overdrive. And it’s about fucking time!


“Mel,” Justin calls up to me. “You ready?”


I smile that shark smile at myself in the mirror, the one Brian has come to love and hate all at the same time. “More than. I’ll be right down!” I put on my four-inch high First Lady Pump heels from Louis Vuitton, grab my brand new matching briefcase of the same brand and give myself one more good once over. Yeah, I’m more than fucking ready; I’m back!


 

Outfit one of Mel’s new look...