- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

*Title is a quote from Hemingway and very fitting for this chapter*

CHAPTER 60: “ALL THINGS TRULY WICKED START FROM INNOCENCE”

*Title is a quote from Hemingway and very fitting for this chapter*


BRIAN:


NO! No, no, NO! Not a-fucking-gain! Not when he fucking PROMISED! Even though it’s not the same, it’s STILL that fucking sound. You know the one… the sound of two fighting cats in fucking heat. I can’t believe we are going there AGAIN! I can’t… That fucker better not have gained entry into this building in yet another bid for Justin’s attention or I swear, he’ll be chewing on those raisinettes he calls balls for the next ten years or more. I’m officially out of patience!


I head to his office, determined to stop that fucking screech and holler as soon as possible. I don’t even bother to stop to talk to the people vying for my own attention, hell-bent on getting Justin to cut the fucking noise off! As I enter into the reception area leading to his office, I almost can’t believe how many people are waiting for him. Where the fuck is Daphne?


“Justin!” I bellow as I enter into the room past the closed door. “What the hell is with the convention happening in your waiting room? And what’s with the fucking cats? I thought we agreed NEVER to revisit this particular conversation ever again.” I scowl, and I know he knows exactly what I’m talking about.


Instead of being miffed at my tone, rapid-fire questions, and borderline accusation, he gives me a bright smile, then shuts off the television which cuts down the noise factor considerably. Daphne is sitting there also looking like the cat who has gotten into the cream, while the other occupants within his comfortable office look nonplussed by my outburst. I’m not sure, but I feel like in a roundabout way, I’m being laughed at. I don’t like it.


“Brian, this is Marta Cuthbert and the CEO of Sterling Music, Inc, Jessica Sterling. Ladies, this is my partner in Kinnetik, Brian Kinney.”


“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Kinney,” the younger of the two women, greets me. “I’ve heard a lot about you.” Again with the slight smirk.


“I can’t say the same, but I’m sure that Justin is about to explain it to me,” I say, pointedly looking at my partner, who at once looks bashful, and as if he’s about to burst out laughing at any moment.


He looks over to Daphne. “Daph, would you mind taking over the meeting for a few moments while I talk to Brian. I think once he hears what I have in mind, he’ll offer some input on what our first move should be.”


“No problem. Use my office,” she offers, before turning back to the ladies. “Marta, Jessica, the way Justin plans to market this is…”


We enter Daphne’s office, which is almost identical to Justin’s except in space. I march around ready to round on him, but the look of fire in his eyes halts any argument I’m about to give. So I ask quietly, “You’ve already decided to sign them?”


“Yes, and before you say anything, hear me out,” he says, taking the seat behind Daphne’s desk. For whatever reason, he’s decided to put distance between us, and I don’t like it at all. I’m about to protest when he continues. “I met Marta- the young one- some time ago at a party given by one of Ethan’s pretentious friends. They didn’t know that she was there as we listened to her being ridiculed over her failure at the Heifetz competition. ‘Oh poor Marta, she’s brilliant, but as soon as she gets in front of an audience, she chokes, blah, blah, BLAH’ they said. As they continued to laugh at her plight and apparent stage-fright, I watched her become more and more a shell of herself. Then Ethan brings one of the assholes over to me. One who decided that I was more than just a pretty face, and told me so. So I told him that I had a pretty big cock too and gave one helluva blow job.”


I snicker. “I bet that went over well with Ian.”


He smirks back. “Well, I did learn brutal honesty and faux-modesty from the Master.”


“Touche, but continue.”


He nods, and does. “So after that, I left. I wasn’t sure where I was going to go, but I knew I wasn’t going back to Ethan’s place right away in case he decided to come after me. All I knew was that I needed to get the hell out of there before I started setting those asshole afire, and not in a positive life-affirming way. I’m talking about some Drew Barrymore Firestarter, the kind where I would be incurring a first-degree arson charge type shit, when I almost mowed Marta over. She was crying in the hallway, and I couldn’t just leave her there. So she and I left together. We ended up in the coffee shop just off of Liberty Avenue and she told me a little bit of how she ended up at PIFA. Originally, she was accepted to Juilliard for both Dance and Music, but couldn’t go because her father had a heart attack. So she applied to PIFA and got in. Now, whereas there is a Dance program there, she had to decide which ONE she wanted to concentrate on. Figuring she could always go back to dance later, she opted for the music program. I asked her what made her decide one over the other, and she told me that she wanted to perfect the classical side of her violin training before figuring out how to incorporate it with dance. She thought it would set her apart from musicians like Ethan.”


“I take it that she’s succeeded.”


“Yes, she did, and in ways even she could not have imagined. Marta left PIFA right before the whole Stockwell incident happened. When she told her mother about her decision to go to New York, instead of flipping out, her parents gave her a year to audition and get in, otherwise she would have to come back home. It turns out that she never had to leave, because one of the judges from the Heifetz competition came looking for her. Jessica Sterling interviewed Marta to find out what she wanted to do with her career, and now here they are signing a twenty million dollar contract with Kinnetik.”


“Did you just say twenty million?” I ask in shock, while he’s sitting there fucking beaming.


“Uh-huh! And the best part is that Marta is going to be living her dream. She already has a YouTube following of over 25K from playing an electro-violin which makes it almost sound like a guitar depending on the song. Add in some classic ballet and contemporary moves and we have ourselves a hit!”


“And where did you come into play?” I ask, because I know there is more to this story.


“Remember that call I took this morning while we were with Leo Brown?” I nod, remembering the annoyance I felt when his phone rang out blasting “It’s My Life” by Bon Jovi in the middle of the restaurant’s quiet. “Well that call was from Glenn Malore…”


“Ethan’s agent?”


“One and the same. It seems our resident pest was still determined to get to me, this time using professional channels. And wasn’t Glenn surprised when he realized that Kinnetik was partially run by the same blond he said should be nothing more than a private peccadillo.”


“I hope you told him where to stick his business.”


“More than you can possibly know. In fact, I called Marta, who was looking for representation with Jessica’s blessing. They were only too happy to meet with me today.”


“And you couldn’t mention this before now?”


“I didn’t want to jinx it, but I do have a plan.”


“And that is?”


“Well, I want you to watch the videos with me first. But I’m thinking that we could cross market Marta with the Heirloom perfume account,” he says with a faraway look in his eyes. I already know that he’s dreaming up angles, and colors for the layout. And for some reason that is still unknown to me, I can’t help but join in his fancy.


“So should I call Jared since Heirloom is under one of his umbrellas?”


“First, see the video, then call Jared AND Josiah.”


“Josiah? Why?”


“Because he’s an artist, and the guy Jared trusts the most. If anyone can help convey the vision and how they would look on screen, he can.”


The way he talks about this makes me think differently about this whole situation. “So this is about revenge?”


“No, it’s about business. But if we can turn Marta into the megastar that I think we can, that will be the best revenge for her… and for us.”


“I think Ethan and his cronies will regret ever pissing you off, Sunshine.”


“They should!”


“Okay, so that takes care of my questions about the violin music thing. I’m willing to see why this has become an exception to our ongoing rule. Now, what’s with the people in the outer office?”


“Casting call, Brian. They are here so that the photography team can get the pics to help me clean up what Lance fucked up. Our vacation will be a working one for me since Thorne needs the copy by the end of the week.”


“Fuck! It just doesn’t seem like we’re going to catch a break any time soon, does it?”


“Oh I don’t know, Brian. Beach, sand, surf, and a little work, and a whole lot of fucking in between. Sounds like our kind of vacation. We were never the type to rest on our laurels, but the important thing is that we are building something lasting.”


I can’t help it. I kiss him, because he’s right, and because I couldn’t imagine taking this journey called life with anyone else by my side. Justin is a very special man, one who has the uncanny ability to keep all of this in its perspective. All of the culprits, with the exception of three, are in jail- one of which should have possibly made Justin fall apart by now. The fact that he will have a chance to actually testify at the attempted murder trial for Hobbs… Well, all I can do is be there for him while he relives that nightmare leading to all the other shit in our lives. But I can’t think about that now. I have to go in there and support my partner in his decision, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do, even at the cost of my ears bleeding.


We walk back into Justin’s office, watching as Daphne details the basic campaign layout to Marta and Ms. Sterling. I have to admit that one of the best decisions I ever made was to hire Daphne as Justin’s assistant. I can tell that she has been fine-tuned by Cynthia, who is also in the office sitting silently while the young woman works the clients. She’s not only charming and witty, but the look of innocence on her face belies the slightly-avaricious gleam in her brown eyes. It’s then that I get the biggest revelation: Sweet little Daphne is a born predator when she wants to be; same as the man standing beside me, beaming with pride at his best friend. I have no doubt that whatever they set their minds to, they will succeed at, especially regarding this campaign.


“Brian, Justin, welcome back,” Daphne says. “I was beginning to think you were going to be delayed a little longer.”


I smile at her, catching onto the innuendo immediately. “No, not this time. The negotiations went far smoother than I anticipated. Pity,” I shrug, and the tell-tale blush on Justin’s cheeks does not go unnoticed based on the giggle coming from the sofa.


Marta says, “As I’ve said, Mr. Kinney, Justin has told me a lot about you. I’m glad that you and he rekindled your understanding.”


“We have, and it’s serving us both very well,” I answer her, pulling Justin back against my chest when he tries to move past me. She blushes, and I can see why Justin took a liking to her.


Usually he’s pretty antisocial, especially with people his own age, but she has a maturity about her that even I don’t find disturbing. Sure, I can tell by the giggle that she can be like Justin and Daphne when they get together. However, I also know that when they indulge in that childish sound, they are thinking far from innocent thoughts. Looks like I will be putting up with yet another of Justin’s fag hags, and somehow I can’t seem to mind.


“So what do you both think of the information that Daphne has given you?” Justin asks.


“I think it could work out very well,” the older lady, Jessica, answers. “However, I would like to see that Marta becomes more mainstream as well. Currently, she is trying out a new sound that incorporates the electric violins with a heavy base sound…”


“Dubstep,” Daphne supplies. And while Justin nods, I’m almost completely lost. “It's called “dub” because like dub-reggae it was a kind of music stripped down to a slowish and minimal atmospheric drums and heavy bass. The “step” comes in because it was evolved from, and stripped down from, what was called “2 step garage” ... Really, what's called dubstep these days is that bass. So basically, Brian, it would be something akin to Nirvana’s grunge meeting Noel Pointer’s electric violin; different and completely weird in theory, but addictive to the point that you can’t stop listening.”


Daphne starts the video again, and I have to admit that it is ear-catching to the point where even I want to rewind it. It’s definitely not your average classical music video, where you see one lone musician metaphorically making love to his instrument, or the ones where it’s a live concert with a bunch of fawning old people looking at him like he’s the second coming of Christ. Instead, this one has scenery, and movement. The cinematographer she chose to work with shoots the scenes from all angles as she and others dance around. By the time I know what’s happened, we’ve watched three of her videos on Autoplay- one on a mountaintop in Colorado; another set to Hark of the Bells which was in a word, magical; and another that sort of resembles a flash mob. It was intriguing and totally unexpected, sort of how one would view the Cirque du Soleil.


“And you think putting these two sounds together, with your dance moves will keep the attention of your audience?” I ask, because I needed to hear their thoughts in their own words. Personally, I think Justin is right about doing a cross campaign with Heirloom Perfume. I just can’t decide if the first video or the second one with Hark of the Bells should be the backdrop we use.


“Well it has so far,” Marta answers. “The twenty-five thousand subscribers I have all love classical music, but are tired of how it’s represented. It’s one of the things that’s most commented on. The young and hip, even some of the more-seasoned adults, are tired of going to the same type of concerts, where it’s all black tie and stuffy. My goal is to give them what they want in the recognizable classics, but make it something they can dance to or dream to… something that takes them out of the palaces of Vienna and puts them on the open road across country. It’s become a way for them to live the music, not just hear it.”


Jessica nods. “It’s also why we are choosing to go with Kinnetik. Mr. Kinney, your reputation for thinking outside the box precedes you. Even before, when you were with VanGuard. I have followed your career for many years, and now that you have the ultra-talented Justin Taylor working with you… well, this was a no-brainer when he called us this morning for a meeting this afternoon. I think we could work well together.”


“Justin has an idea on how to market your product with the concepts you both have in mind. I just need to make a call first. Justin, do you want to be in on the call, or stay here and talk figures?”


“Figures is Ted’s forte. Where is Ted?” he asks Daphne, but Cynthia answers.


“I know that he was supposed to come back to the office later today, but right now he’s working on the other thing,” she tells us, and there’s no need to ask her what that’s about.


“Is Lori here then?” Justin asks, and I can see why he’s asking for her. With both Mel and Ted out of the office for the moment, she’ll be able to take care of both the legal and monetary aspects of the deal. I have to admit that once again, Justin’s genius amazes me.


“She’s in. I’ll get her and bring her up to speed on the way back. Besides, she’s a big fan. It’s what made me come down here to meet Marta myself,” Cynthia tells us as she leaves the office.


“Wow! I have a fan right here already?” Marta says in amazement.


“Quite a few, actually, young lady. Trust me, if Justin, and therefore Daphne, didn’t believe in you, you wouldn’t be in here. We only represent the best, and Sterling Music, Inc. is one of them. Mine is not the only one whose reputation precedes them Ms. Sterling. You’re known to be a bit of a cutthroat in your field,” I tell the older lady, smiling.


She laughs. “First, I would appreciate it if you call me Jessica. Any reminder of my mother is not a welcome one. And secondly, it’s the reason that my father passed over my brothers for inheritance, which is a sore point with just about everyone in my family, including my mother. She’s too old school for her own good.”


That drew a laugh out of me, seeming though Jessica is a woman bordering sixty, even if she doesn’t look it. Her mother sounds a lot like how Joan used to be. It still freaks me out that even now, my mother is out on a date with some man who’s a far cry from Jack. Elegance and class exudes off of her like it does Jennifer, but it’s evident that both have the same fire, which allows them to give the big FUCK YOU to their societal norms. As a result, I think she’s going to fit right into the network of clients we’re building here at Kinnetik.


Lori breezes into the office, placing a gentle kiss on Justin’s cheek before settling herself on the sofa opposite Jessica and Marta. Looking at her, I can understand just why Craig was trying his best to keep her. She has that same poise that Jennifer has, but the shark look that often graces Melanie’s face when she’s in the business of negotiating. I suspect it’s a side of her that Craig never bothered to see. Sort of like what he did with Jennifer. It’s the look of rapier-sharp intelligence which can often be misconstrued for single-minded attentiveness, but really they are sizing up the competition and looking at a situation from all angles. I should know since my own blond does the same thing, especially when it comes to me. I should have recognized it long ago and run far and fast in the opposite direction the first night I met him. But if I had, I wouldn’t have been able to design this amazing life we are working on.


I take that opportunity to go back into Justin’s office to dial the number which is fast becoming memorized in my head. Since we’ve met Jared and Josiah, I don’t think there has been a day where one of us hasn’t reached out to the other. They are invested in seeing us become a success the way Leo Brown, John Remson, and Kellie McQuaid are. It makes me wonder just what it is they see in Justin and me that we would inspire that kind of faith from people we barely know. It isn’t just business the way it should be, but… it’s like in letting go of Michael and Deb, and even Craig and Claire, that Justin and I have a whole new family in addition to the ones who have stayed with us.


Hunter peeks his head inside the office, just as I’m about to connect the call. “Hey, Brian. Justin told me to tell you that he will be along in a minute.”


“What’s the hold up this time?”


“I just gave him some news about this morning’s meeting between the three stooges, otherwise known as Vance, Troy, and Eric. I think he said something about calling down to Boutique to get their timesheets printed up, but I’m sure he’ll fill you in later. Meanwhile, I have to clear the outer office for him. The photographers and wardrobe should be ready by now,” he tells me, slightly annoyed.


I can’t help but chuckle since he sounds just like Justin when he thinks things should be moving faster than they have been. “Well hop to it, and make sure to tell Justin that I need his expertise as soon as possible.”


“I will.”


I shake my head in amazement at the littlest hustler. He’s really coming into his own since he’s been back, and it’s a good thing. I know that he is just about finished with his degree online. Ben has been updating me every week on Hunter’s progress since he knows of the plans Justin and I have for him once he gets his high school diploma. James and Glenda Fillmore have really taken a shine to Ben and Hunter, spending time with them and giving them the nurturing both of them so desperately needed. Hell, they have done that in some form or another for all of us since we’ve met them. Speaking of which, I’m really due for some more of that banana bread. The last piece became Justin’s midnight snack last night, and I’m still a little upset about it. Anyway, that thought brings me to Deb.


I won’t lie and say that I don’t miss her. I do, but I miss the woman I thought she was. It might seem strange, but then I miss Jack, too. Not the Jack that I always knew, but the one I was just beginning to see glimpses of before he died; the one that went to his grave proud of the man I became in spite of it all. Sometimes, I can’t help but wonder what he would think of all of this. I mean, I know that I suffered at his hands because of Claire and Michael, and because of his own insecurities… I KNOW that. But now that we were- if not on equal footing, but with me a little higher up on the food chain- would he and I have come to an understanding even without the specter of death that loomed over him? It’s a question that has been troubling me more and more lately, and sadly one I will never have the answer to. How fucked up is that? It makes me almost feel robbed of something that I never even thought to ask for, but what? More time? A second chance at having a father that saw me as something more than a burden? I don’t know, but something.


At least he met Gus before he died. I’ll never forget the look on his face when he held him, and spent time with my son. There was pride there, and dare I say it, a little sadness for the missed opportunities that would come once he’d passed on. It was daunting, and even now it haunts me a little. Not that I would ever admit that to anyone. And even though I knew that the night he left was the last night I would ever see him alive again, I knew he wanted to say something, but what? Sorry? What would that have solved? Would that simple word have become the balm which healed all the past hurts, deep cuts, and bruises that were near festering until I met Justin, and if I’m honest, some that still exist to this day? No, but with nothing more than a ‘See ya around, Sonnyboy’ to me and a last longing look at Gus, Jack Kinney walked out of the loft, never to darken its walls again.


Which reminds me, Mom really does deserve to meet her grandson, and soon. I know that Justin has thought it, but he hasn’t said anything aloud. It’s his way of acknowledging that I have the right to make that decision. Well, me and Mel as co-parents do, and I’ll have to talk to her about it tonight. Joan is trying hard, and I think that maybe it’s time to try a little harder on my part, too. I never thought that I would ever get to this place with her, but it’s good. I still miss Deb, but… well… Joan is trying to bridge a gap between us. She doesn’t seem to hate me anymore, if she ever did. No, I can’t forget all of the bullshit her indifference and cowardice put me through, but if some part of me was… is willing to forgive Jack, then Joan should be privy to it while she’s still alive. All this morbid thinking and rationale is Justin’s fault. He’s turned me into some sort of warped lesbian, even though I still have all my parts. I’ll make sure to take it out on his ass later. But first things first…

 

“Hey Jared, it’s Brian. I think Justin and I have figured out the perfect way to market Heirloom…”