- Text Size +

CHAPTER 68: SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT Part 5: INTERVIEWS Segment 2: A COMMITTEE OF TWO


JESSICA:


As I sit here during the break, making some notes to include in my article as well as my visual report, I find myself flabbergasted by the heretofore as yet untold tale of Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney. The copious amount of notes I took while George was doing his interview of the couple and of those closest to them just didn’t seem adequate enough. Undoubtedly, I find these two men and their family fascinating. The fact that their relationship is on such solid ground after having to face such turmoil is just astounding! But I’m realizing that it’s so much more than that. For me, the idea of being loved and being IN LOVE has always been a far-fetched dream, yet these men are living it, breathing it in, and developing into the best version of themselves because of it.

 

It’s not just about hearing the words from their lips, but the feeling in the air simply by being around them. It’s charged with so many of the superficial romantic notions one would associate with the word love: the emotion of it, the sultriness of lust, the feeling of knowing someone intimately who accepts you for who you are. Usually, those come with some sort of condition to qualify it, but in this case, it permeates everything around Brian and Justin, from their interactions with each member of their family to those who are on the outskirts just getting the honor of glimpsing what it’s like to be in their presence, but for these few moments. It’s in the way they know when the other is around or the direction they’re in; it’s in the way they encourage each other and draw strength; it’s in the way that even now, just simply hugging each other with no words passing between them that they seem to be having an entire conversation. It’s just proof positive that as strong as these men are individually, collectively they are a force of nature which remains untamed, and untainted by life. They may be colored by circumstance, but never will be erased. It makes being in their presence a gift and one that I will cherish for the rest of my life.


“Ready?” George asks me.


“A little nervous,” I answer, and I am. I picked the written word to report because I’ve always been afraid of how people would view me. So this is one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life.


“You’ll do fine, Jess. Just remember to pace yourself. If you have to, take a calming breath before you begin to ask your questions. Believe it or not, it’s something I was doing even while conducting the interview. You are more than capable of handling this. Besides, with these people who are so open and honest, I think you’ll find just having a simple conversation with them will put you at ease… and them as well.


I nod, noting the ease with which George questioned them. He even included a little humor towards Justin’s assistant and best friend. He made them comfortable to even discuss the less than pretty parts of their beginning. So taking that into consideration, I decided to conduct my interview in the same vein. Moving over to the seat George initially occupied, I set up my tape recorder and get ready to begin one of the most prominent interviews with the Taylor-Kinney's.


Everyone is reseated, once again flanking the two main stars of this as yet unfolding drama. “Hello everyone, and once again, thank you for joining us on Xpose with 20/20. I’m Jessica Lynn Mayer, Senior Editor of Time Magazine. The host of this show, Mr. George Bell, has graciously offered for my colleague, Jane Markell of the New York Times, to piggyback on his interview with an up-and-coming power couple, The Taylor-Kinneys. Although there will be a full article featured in both Time and the Times, some key highlights will be mentioned here as well. Brian, Justin, thank you for allowing us to be here.”


“It’s our pleasure,” Justin answers for both of them.


“I see that you have a tremendous support system flanking you. Can you introduce them to us?”


Brian and Justin go through introducing everyone, beginning with Justin. When Brian introduced the smallest member of their family, little Gus, not only was there pride and love but in Justin’s eyes, there are tears which are quickly masked. I’m tempted to ask why, but I’ll refrain at least until we’re off camera and off the record. The little tyke is absolutely adorable and already shows a strong resemblance to his handsome father.


“So I have to ask, have you, gentlemen, always been politically active, or at the very least, aware?”


“I have, whereas Brian wasn’t beyond voting unless it involved his work. But that changed with the potential ascension to an even higher seat of power.”


“That’s an interesting terminology, Justin. Why do you think of it in those terms?”


“In truth, that’s how many of the governmental offices are regarded. They are allowed to make decisions, make laws, or in Jim Stockwell’s case, enforce or suppress laws at will to govern us all.”


“Suppress?”


“Indeed, Jessica. Under the Constitution, we are all guaranteed civil rights as citizens of this country. When one politician or political group feel that the law should NOT be applied equally, that’s where the country as a whole becomes an oppressive atmosphere. It’s happened at various times throughout history, and if Jim Stockwell had been elected, it would have happened yet again, even if it was on a smaller scale. First, it would have been the gays, and then another minority group when he was able to subdue a large part of the population so that only a certain few retained their Constitutional rights.”


“That’s a strong statement. Is that why you compared him to Adolf Hitler in a poster?”


“It is indeed. Although the description may have seemed a bit harsh at the time, his charisma, and platform was no less relevant. In this case, he used ‘family values’ as a tool to get the masses to shut a certain group of people out. Or more accurately, to take away their human right to exist in whatever way they chose, which caused harm to absolutely no one. Although gays and lesbians were the more overt target, it would not have been a huge jump to include other demographics such as those of unwed mothers, or even the repeal of women’s rights as it pertains on the local level. In a sense, it was what Hitler did to Jews. He created an undue public fear because of people he didn’t like and used it as a way to execute them. Stockwell may not have executed us, but he didn’t allow the people who did or attempted to do so to be tried under the 14th Amendment of the United States. It’s my fervent belief that should he have attained the Mayoral Office, Jim Stockwell would have increased his power base on the local level to reach beyond Pittsburgh’s borders to wrongly influence others.”


I nod, understanding Justin’s very succinct point. The Stockwells, both old and new, were known for giving orders to that effect, all the while seeming to keep their collective hands clean. I look at the man sitting beside him, exuding the quiet pride I’ve so often seen within the short time we’ve been here. “So, Brian, how did it come about that you were involved with the former Police Chief of Pittsburgh?”


“How I became involved is a long story, but the condensed version is that I originally worked for the Advertising agency, which Mr. Stockwell sought out to guide his Mayoral campaign.”


“And what was your first impression of him upon meeting him?”


“Outside of being familiar with his police record of many years, I have to say that I wasn’t impressed. Although I’m not- and had never been- actively interested in politics per se, I appreciate people who are unapologetically honest with themselves, regardless of what they may say publicly. Jim Stockwell didn’t strike me as that type of person. In fact, in a lot of what he said, it seemed more as if he was trying harder to convince himself, as opposed to me, a registered voter. As for his record itself, there was nothing he could offer me that would have made me work directly with him.”


“Why not?”


“Aside from the fact that he is a bonafide homophobe, is the fact that he selectively did his job in response to crimes being committed within his jurisdiction. To my mind, when it comes to being elected to public office, you should be committed to ALL of the people affected by the actions of that office. It shouldn’t matter whether they vote democrat, republican, liberal, or even if they voted at all; nor should being gay, straight, indifferent, or undecided negate the responsibilities of the person holding the office. The bottom line is that a certain group of taxpayers may have voted you into the vacant seat, but the public should be served equally by the person occupying it.”


“And so the fact that former Police Chief Stockwell didn’t appear to apply the law equally is what put you in direct opposition with your former boss, Gardner Vance?”


“That’s right. It helped that my attorney had it written into my partnership contract that I had the option to say no to working with any client who went against my conscience. Make no mistake: I’m not a person who one would consider moral strictly by typical societal rules, and norms. However, I do live by a certain code of ethics, in that I own every single decision I make for myself. If I’m guilty of anything, it’s holding the people I work with, and those who surround me, to that same standard.”


Justin interjects then. “It’s like asking a question, and being given the answer ‘I don’t know.’ Brian is the type to make you really examine your motives, instead of letting you get away with that particular excuse. In the case of Gardner Vance, he thought that with Brian on Stockwell’s campaign, it would soften the gay community towards the former police chief. And when Brian didn’t willingly go along with Vance’s grand plan, he fired Brian, which turned out to be a vast mistake on his part since both Brian’s attorney, Melanie Marcus, and Brian himself, are incredibly thorough when it comes laying out the terms and conditions within a contract.”


Brian smiles at Justin while uttering, “You’re not so bad yourself, Sunshine.”


Justin smiles equally bright, and saying, “I learned from the Master.”


The sight of them getting lost in each other’s eyes, even while their smiles are in place, I have the feeling that there is more to that statement than its obvious meaning. “So what’s next for you two on the political front?”


“We’re not going to become activists if that’s what you’re asking… well, I’m not, although I can’t speak for Sunshine here. He’s always been more politically active than I have been. However, with our charity, Concerned Citizens for Truth we’re still going to be dedicated to funding worthwhile causes, even if it is within the political arena. In the meantime, we’re working with an organization called Fly Free to make the streets of Pittsburgh better, one person at a time.”


“What do you mean?”


Justin answers for both of them. “Considering our individual histories, and the lives of many other gay men and women out there, we are currently working on building an alternative high school, a shelter, and a trade school. Although it is geared towards those within the LGBT community, it’s not going to be limited to us alone. This idea has come about because of two very special young men, one of whom is sitting with us today, while the other young man is but one of the reasons why former police chief Stockwell is currently under investigation. James Montgomery, or as we call him, Hunter, and Jason Kemp were in horrible situations, which caused them to have to leave their homes. Due to pending litigation on Hunter’s behalf, we can’t go completely into the story, but suffice it to say that their situations became a matter of life and death in more ways than any of us could possibly imagine. But upon hearing their stories, and in some ways bearing witness to Hunter’s, Brian and I decided that we wanted to do something about it. In all honesty, I think we saw what each of us might have become if we didn’t have people who were willing to be there and care for us in some capacity. So the Fly Free Foundation and Concerned Citizens for Truth are joining up to create an environment to help those who are runaways, homeless, and those in abusive situations who are looking to better themselves and design a life rather than just let life happen to them. Sure we realize that there are things that we can’t control, but what we are trying to do is, at least, give options.”


“I think I can speak for all of us when I say that it is an admirable goal. And I for one, wish you both well in this and your future endeavors. Is this just going to be privately funded, or will the public be allowed to get involved?”


“Although the members of the committee, with the exception of me and Justin, are going to remain anonymous until such time as they want to be known, any and all donations would be welcome,” Brian tells me. “The goal is to eventually make this a national endeavor, possibly even global at some point. Pittsburgh is the first stop on a long list of places we would like to see made better through public support.”


I chuckle, remembering a comment I heard from one of the idiots currently sitting in a cell across town. “I can’t believe that anyone would have ever thought of you men as selfish…”


“Oh, we can be,” Justin confirms. “But we try never to be so, especially at the expense of others. That’s just asking for bad karma, and we simply don’t have time for the foolishness. However, we firmly believe in making solid decisions for ourselves. If the wishes of those people calling us selfish go in direct opposition to what we want for ourselves, then they are just going to have to live with it since it’s not going to change. We’ll just call their continued and forced acceptance of that fact, growing pains. After all, we’ve all had them, right?”


“Indeed we have, Justin. And on that note, when we come back from commercial, Jane will bring the public up to speed on the rise of Kinnetik Enterprises. So stay tuned, ladies and gentlemen; you won’t want to miss it!”


We cut to commercial just as George’s phone vibrates within his pocket. As he pulls it out, I see Brian and Justin still sitting on the sofa, having a private laugh between the two of them. They really are quite fun to watch when they think they aren’t being observed. “So do we have a deal?” Justin whispers suggestively to Brian, as the latter raised one perfect eyebrow at the younger man.


“That depends.”


“On?”


“Who gets there first.”


“No fair, Brian!”


“Life’s not fair, but we aren’t talking about that. It’s pineapple coffee cake, Sunshine. You can’t bargain with that.”


I laugh. “I can’t wait to taste this cake that I keep hearing about. What’s the deal for anyway?”


Before either of them have a chance to answer me, we’re interrupted by a series of exclamations.


“OH HELL!” comes from both Daphne and Cynthia, while George and Jinx have this shocked look on their faces. But it’s Jane, who actually tells us what’s going on.


“Apparently, on Brian and Justin’s last trip to a place called Babylon, someone recorded a rather risque dance and subsequent trip to the backroom.”


I look over to the two men, who look at once guilty and lustful, while obviously remembering what must have occurred within that building. “Why would that particular video matter at this juncture?”


“My guess would be that whomever the sender is wanted it used as a way to discredit us,” Justin says. I have to admit that even with what I’ve learned and am still learning about Brian and Justin, the fact that he’s so composed in the face of someone’s blatant attempt at sabotage is a little disconcerting. I was expecting a queen out of epic proportions, considering the interview they had just given me. As if he read my mind, Brian chuckles.


“Remember Justin just informing the public that he and I exist under a different code of ethics, Jessica? This is one of those examples.”


“So you intend to address it directly?” George asks, coming out of his stupor.


“Oh, by all means, we do. But if you don’t mind, we would like to see what has all of you at once baffled, shocked, and titillated all at the same time,” Justin says.


“Are you sure you want to see this?”


“Well, I for one have always wondered what the big draw of Babylon was for you and Brian, Justin. Let’s just say, I no longer have to,” Cynthia says. “How the hell did you…”


Justin smiles brightly, before answering. “I’ll explain that ONE later, Cyn. In the meantime, give me and Brian a moment to discuss a strategy about this.”


“Well you’d better hurry,” Jinx advises.


“Any particular reason?” Brian asks, and I have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.


Daphne takes George’s phone, and after fumbling with it for a second or two, she turns the screen towards us. “Because George wasn’t the only one that Howard Bellwether sent this clip to. But it’s the person who sent it to him that’s going to cause the most controversy, especially in regards to how he must have obtained it.”


Justin takes the screen in hand with a frown on his face. “Looks like Gardner and the Sap have been busy, Brian. Especially since two of the clips are of a situation that I would have loved to forget ever happened.”


“You don’t mean…” Daphne begins, but he cuts her off.


“Yes, Daph. That’s it exactly.” Justin sighs. “Brian, there was more to that situation than I told you about. And I think we finally know what Michael was planning to expose about me since it’s all linked. Give us five minutes, and we’ll be ready to address it all. I promise.”


Justin leads Brian off to the side, away from everyone and everything. Both of them have the most rigid postures. Gone was the playful, relaxed pose in each other’s presence that I have come to expect. It’s obvious to all of us at this moment that whatever it is that Justin is telling Brian will have far-reaching repercussions. The only question left is, for whom?