- Text Size +

CHAPTER 69: SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT Part 6: INTERVIEWS Segment 3: SO THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED, HUH? WELL SADDLE UP AND LET’S RIDE!


BRIAN:


As Justin calmly, and succinctly tells me all of what happened at Sap’s party some years ago, I can’t fucking believe he kept all of this from me! “So you see, Brian, there was a lot more to my silence than you know.”


“Let me get this straight… you didn’t tell me because not only were you afraid of what I would do, but you were afraid of what the high profile people you saw there would do?”


“Yes, and some of them were Stockwell’s biggest supporters.”


“Were?”


“No way can they stand beside him now without their own records being called into question. The problem is that there was drug usage there. The video clip will undoubtedly show that. Granted, I was young and confused, but I knew what I was doing when I did that line of coke, Brian. If Sap hadn’t paid off the cops, and they chose to raid the place, I would have been rounded up along with most of those government officials in attendance. The only difference is that I wouldn’t have had their clout to make my arrest record disappear.”


“And you do now?”


“Not necessarily. But if they burn me, I burn them. The best thing for all parties involved would be for me to spin it, even if it means saving their asses to a degree. Stall for time, and let me make a very important phone call.”


“To whom?”


“Senator Maurice Thompkins. He’s the only one there who was completely sober, even though he was involved in the orgy that killed one of the party favors.”


“How do you know he’ll even listen to you? And what’s your idea?”


“He’ll listen.”


“And your idea? Justin, full disclosure, remember?”


He sighs, before looking at me. He’s not trying to hide his involvement; in fact, he’s as belligerent as ever and mad as hell. “Brian, it’s best that you don’t know. Suffice it to say that after I kicked Sap’s two front teeth in, I had a very interesting visit later while I was at the Diner. There’s a very specific reason why, but let me set some things into motion, first. Just know that I would have never done this had they not come for us first.”


I don’t like the sound of that ominous statement, but I know that Justin wouldn’t do anything deliberately to hurt me... to hurt us. If there’s anyone on this earth that I trust to always have my best interests at heart, it’s Justin. “Fine, Sunshine, but make it quick. And let me know if you need my help in dealing with this.”


“I will,” he says, but his eyes have hardened, which means his next call can’t be good news for someone…


JUSTIN:


Keeping this from Brian has probably been the hardest thing I have ever done, short of leaving the Rage party with Ethan. The information I have could have gotten him killed if anyone but Maurice knew that I had it. It’s why I made sure to keep it to myself. A lot of people think that Gary Sapperstein is just a schmuck and low-rent thug, but I know differently. The orgy that killed Tommy was just the mildest instance of the things I’ve seen when it comes to Gary. It’s part of the reason I didn’t hesitate to kick him in the mouth when he tried to get me in that fucking sling. I shake my head, realizing that if there was ever a time that I needed my wits about me, it was now. This was about more than my own self-preservation; it’s about protecting Brian. Had the bullshit Bellwether just included our antics within Babylon and the Backroom, I wouldn’t have worried so much. But this has far-reaching consequences and involves some people who would rather all this be kept as quiet as possible.


I look through my phone and find Senator Thompkins’ personal cell phone number. I wait for the call to connect, and when it does, I jump right in before he could even finish saying ‘hello’. “Maurice, we have trouble… and I’m not just talking about me and Brian. Bellwether sent a certain two video clips of a party you and I attended back when I worked for Gary Sapperstein. I’m sure I don’t have to spell out what all this means, do I?”


“I was just catching the interview with you and Brian. It’s good. But why haven’t you called before now if this was an issue?”


“It wasn’t until just about ten minutes ago. Bellwether’s cousin, who he doesn’t get along with, was the first person to interview us. In a fit of pique, he sent the clips to George Bell, but he obtained them originally from Gardner Vance.”


“Brian’s ex-boss.”


I blow out an exasperated breath, before replying. “YES, thanks for the reminder of recent history! Look, Maurice, you and I know that there is only ONE person those clips could have come from. We have to get a jump on this before anyone else can make the information public. You remember the deal we made the day after the party when you visited me at my former place of employment?”


He’s silent for a moment, before he confirms, “I remember.”


“Then make good on it! Now I will do what I can from my end, and suppress what I can while answering the questions as truthfully as possible while minimizing the amount of damage control we’ll have to do on the back end of this shit. Grab the information I gathered for you, and get it to Joanne Carver immediately.”


“And what will that do?”


God, the man can be seriously dense sometimes! I take a calming breath. “It will shoot the credibility of those videos to hell. Also, have the Feds raid Sap’s humble abode. We both know what he has in the bottom of his house, Maurice. In the meantime, Gardner just brought this fight public, and I’ll deal with him accordingly.”


“I’ll get on it, Justin. Just be careful not to slander the man. You don’t need lawsuits.”


“I promise that everything I say about him can and will be proven, in more ways than you can possibly imagine. In fact, Lindsay Peterson is sitting in jail right now, and although she won’t confirm or deny her part in this whole mess, I can prove that she was his spy against me and Brian.”


“But what does that have to do with the situation regarding Sapperstein?” At my huff, he hurriedly says, “Forgive me, Justin. I’m just trying to prepare you for the question you’re about to be asked.”


“I get it, Maurice. There’s a history here that you know nothing about. That night, when Gary was determined to get me in the sling, it was being done at the behest of Michael Novotny and Lindsay Peterson. Also, my own father paid for the video footage from the money he stole from my trust account. I wouldn’t have needed to strip for pay had he released my funds the way he was supposed to. Gary crossed a very big line in the sand today. I didn’t ask you to hold onto the evidence of his embezzlement and tax evasion out of the kindness of my heart, but in case I needed leverage or a bargaining chip. I’m blond, but not stupid. Sap giving that information to Gardner when the three assholes couldn’t pay him since they’re in jail just caused me to take the metaphorical gloves off. The fact that you and a few others in public office were there that night as well turned out to be an added bonus for me.”


“So you’re saying that you would have blackmailed us with the information?”


“Unless you went after me and mine, your secrets were always safe with me, as evidenced by the fact that it wasn’t me who released the information, even while Brian and I were broke and struggling. Plenty can be said about that, don’t you think?”


We hang up the phone, and I cross the lawn to whisper in Brian’s ear. “It’s about to become a very rough ride, and later on tonight, I’ll ride you rough.”


“Promise?”


“I’ll have trouble sitting, standing, and laying down by this time tomorrow.”


“Damn!”


“Exactly!”


“You’re still not going to tell me, are you?”


“After the interview, I’ll tell you all of it. But no matter what I expose, don’t show that it’s a surprise to you, except where necessary. This is regarding what Michael, Lindsay, and Craig thought they had to hang over my head. What they didn’t know is that while they were trying to hang me, they were in actuality hanging themselves.”


“And Sapperstein has something to do with all of this?”


“Him and Vance, although I think they imagined they would stay safely away from the atomic bomb I’m about to drop on all of them.”


“Alright, Sunshine. I’m going to give you your head during the interview.”


“Thanks for understanding, Brian. I promise you won’t be sorry that I kept you out of it as much as I could. Even now, I’m trying to minimize the fall out for you.”


“But I don’t want you buried up under it either, Sunshine.”


“I won’t be. I know a lot more and have more leverage in this than you could possibly know, Brian. I just never used it to my advantage before. Now I will.”


JANE:


“George, how sure are we of that information?”


“It’s coming from Howard, but I’m pretty sure that the clips from inside of the club Babylon are accurate, at the very least.”


“But on the other two clips, I counted at least ten government officials, both on the local and state levels.”


“Me, too. This shit can’t be good at all.”


I nod. “What do you think Brian and Justin know about it?”


“If I were a betting man, and didn’t like my money so much, I would wager that Brian doesn’t know anything beyond what Justin had shared with him thus far.”


“Why do you think that? If nothing else I can’t imagine them keeping secrets of this magnitude from each other.”


“They would, but only if the knowledge has the power to destroy one of them.”


“That sounds ominous.”


“But he’s right,” Cynthia says, as she comes upon us. “Brian and Justin aren’t afraid to be completely honest unless there is a very specific set of circumstances. Mainly that includes one of them going ballistic.”


“Those two?” I ask in complete disbelief. “They don’t seem the type to fight except by way of their minds.”


“Oh, make no mistake, Brian was quite the brawler back in his day. And Justin’s no slouch. He has an explosive temper, although he keeps it pretty much under wraps until pushed far beyond his normal limits. We don’t call him mini-Rage for nothing.”


“So Cynthia, in your opinion, how should we address this latest bit of information?” I ask.


“In all honesty, you should probably ask Daphne about this. If I have the manual on Brian Taylor-Kinney’s actions and reactions, she wrote and revised the manual many MANY times on Justin. They’ve been best friends since the age of four, and now that they work together, their bond has grown even stronger. I’m pretty sure that even if Justin didn’t share the information with Brian, he would have at least told Daphne the bare bones of the situation. But be warned that she’s as protective of Brian and Justin as I am, only a little bit less refined in being so.”


“Meaning?” I ask, intrigued.


“That whereas I would just tell you that it’s not a situation to be speculated upon or discussed, Daphne would instruct you in the many ways and fastest routes on a one-way trip to hell then would draw a pictogram so that there can be no mistaking how she intends for you to get there.”


“That rough around the edges?”


“She has the breeding of elite society, but like Justin, she chooses to use it ONLY when it will have the most impact. Remind me to tell you about their revamping of the Art Department of Kinnetik." She chuckles.


The young woman in question comes over with an angry, and worried look upon her face. It’s so different than Daphne's usually calm and sunny disposition that I really don’t know how to broach the subject of the clips with her. If Cynthia is to be believed, then Daphne Chanders can be just as volatile as Justin Taylor-Kinney, which makes her just as lethal despite her unassuming appearance. Cynthia takes the anxiety out of my hands, as she speaks directly to Daphne on my behalf.


“Daph, Jane needs to ask you some questions, although I’m sure that George and Jessica will have some as well. Tell them what you can without betraying Justin’s confidence. But also remember that this is your job. Understand what it is I’m telling you?”


She smiles at Cynthia. “I get it. So what would like to know?”


“Is there any truth to the first two clips?” I ask her.


“I’m not at liberty to disclose it without my client’s, or in this case, boss’ express permission. Suffice it to say that there were many mitigating circumstances.”


I smile at her very diplomatic answer. “Can you tell us how long ago those clips were made?”


“Approximately two years ago.”


“Can you tell us why?”


“I can only speculate, but in order to find out the real reason why, you would have to find out who would have benefitted from having such information.”


“Beyond Gardner Vance?”


“I can assure you that although Gardner benefitted from them now, someone else, or more specifically the people who would have derived the most pleasure from having them within their possession, would have made a deal directly with the initial videographer.”


“Daphne, off the record, what would they have had to gain by Justin being put into this kind of situation?”


“If any of this appears in print before the allotted time, I will make it my personal mission to ruin you. Am I making myself clear?” She holds my gaze steadily, until I answer in the affirmative that I understand exactly what she’s telling me. I now completely understand what it was that Cynthia meant about Daphne’s loyalty to Justin, and the fact that while she may look completely innocent, she carries a significant presence with her. To underestimate her not-so-idle threat would be to commit career suicide, I have no doubt. She takes a fortifying breath before answering me. “Now to answer your question, off the record, the three main culprits in this tale are Craig Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, and Michael Novotny. Each one of them would have had something to gain by having that video at their fingertips. The latter two would have used it to blackmail Justin into staying away from Brian permanently. As soon as he would have disobeyed their order, he would have ended up in jail doing eight to fifteen years for drug use, prostitution…”


“Prostitution?”


“Justin was a go-go boy at Babylon for a time as a way to pay for college without depending on Brian’s money, which was always used as a weapon by Michael and Lindsay. Many times they called him a whore and implied that Justin’s only value to Brian was being a ready fucktoy for when Brian didn’t feel like roaming the Backroom or the Baths looking for a trick for the night. And Justin’s only reason for being with Brian was to use him for his money.”


“That’s absurd, and honestly, fucking terrible!” I exclaim. From what I know of Justin Taylor-Kinney, that’s the last thing that young man would have ever done.


“What else could you expect from two people who were willing, and in Lindsay’s case DID, exactly what they were accusing Justin of? Anyway, it bothered Justin, so to supplement his income from working at the Liberty Diner, Justin began working at Babylon as a dancer. The clip you saw was from a private party Gary Sapperstein hired Justin and a few other go-go boys, who were also in college, to attend. They were only supposed to be there for decoration, although Gary had other plans.”


“I’ll take it from here, Daph. Jane, George, and Jessica, you have my express permission to print and record everything I’m about to tell you.”


“Did he call you back, Justin?” Daphne asks him, and I can’t help but wonder just who they’re talking about.


“Yes. In fact, the raid of both Babylon’s management office and Sapperstein’s house is underway.”


“He worked fast.”


“Indeed he did, since I’m the one who holds all the cards, even now. And better still is that he has all the support he needed from those of his constituents, who were also in attendance. The only thing they requested of me was that I not mention their names, which is a small price to pay for the vids being suppressed by everyone else except these three reporters here. So are we ready?” Justin asks.


“Yes, we are,” I answer in shocked amazement of the rapid conversation we all just witnessed. It is more than apparent that there this so much more to Daphne and Justin than meets the eye. Considering they are only just into their early twenties, it's going to be exciting to witness what these two remarkable young adults will do well into their furures. 

 

We all settle back into position, and I get the introductions out of the way before jumping right into the first set of questions about this latest development. “Justin, during our break a former journalist sent several salacious video clips to his former colleague, George Bell. Can you tell us what was on them?”


“Sure, Jane. Several years ago, I worked as a dancer in a local club. In fact, it was in Babylon, where the latter three clips were taken. Brian was totally against it, but I just didn’t feel right about accepting Brian’s money and not being able to contribute to my education at PIFA.”


“Forgive me for saying so, but I was given to understand that your maternal grandparents left you a sizeable fortune for your educational trust fund. Am I mistaken?”


“You’re not mistaken at all. However, at the time, my father, who continues to have a problem with my sexuality, siphoned my entire trust fund in an effort to force me to attend the college of his choice. From an early age, my grandparents knew of my desire to attend a prestigious art school, and they made it possible for me to not only do so, but to live my life by my own standards even beyond it.”


“Can I ask about the amount of it?”


“My trust fund was nearly a million dollars, thereabouts. The plan was that I would pay for my education and invest a portion of the rest, taking only a small stipend for a monthly income. They taught me not to be wasteful, or to take their gift to me for granted. I miss them; they were good people.”


“I would imagine. So with your father squandering away your trust fund, is that why you became a dancer at the local nightclub?”


“In part. Although Brian was ready, willing, and able to pay for my education, his former friends, Michael Novotny and Lindsay Peterson, took every opportunity to denigrate me and assassinate my character because he offered to do so.”


“Was that right after the incident with Chris Hobbs?”


“Yes, about eight months afterwards to be exact. Up until that point, Brian attended the therapy sessions with me, and any other doctor appointments I had at the time. He was very instrumental in my recovery, and determined that I would resume my life on my terms.”


“Sounds like it worked since you are here now. But back to the video clip for a few moments. Are you a drug addict?”


“No. What you saw on that clip was me experimenting with the party favors Gary had laid out.”


“Gary?”


“My ex-boss, Gary Sapperstein. Brian had warned me about his parties, but as a hard-headed nineteen year old, I didn’t listen.”


“Are you sorry now that you didn’t?”


“Partially, but had I not learned that particular lesson when I did, there’s no telling what would have happened to me. I could have just as easily ended up as my fellow dancer did that night.”


“What do you mean?”


“There was a guy, Tommy, who was dancing and putting himself through school because his stepfather became abusive after his mother passed away, and he left home. The funny thing is that Tommy was straight, but chose to work in a gay club because the tips were good. All of the guys knew that, and never tried him beyond that. It was enough for everyone who frequented the club that he wasn’t a homophobe and was there just to make a living so that he could attend school. So the fact that Tommy was drugged and put into a device known as a sling was very disconcerting, and frankly, an instant way to sober me up quick.”


“Were you accosted to take his place?”


“Absolutely, but I had the presence of mind to state that I wasn’t going to do it. When Gary and a few of his friends tried to force me, I panicked and kicked his two front teeth out. During that time specifically, I still had trouble being touched unless it was by Brian. Being surrounded by so many strange men automatically kicked in my fight or flight response.”


“I have to ask, and understand that you have the right not to answer should you not want to, but who would have benefitted from having videoed evidence of your activities that night?”


“Initially Michael Novotny and Lindsay Peterson, since they would have certainly used them as either blackmail for me to leave Brian, or as a way to reiterate their negative thoughts about me to Brian. The thing is that although I was a dancer, and had to do certain things to be allowed to make the most money in the shortest amount of time…”


“Like?”


“Anyone who got to dance on the bar had to let the owner of the club, meaning Gary Sapperstein, blow him. That’s how I got to dance on the bar for the short time I was employed there.”


“Brian, how did you feel about it?”


“I wasn’t happy about it then, and I’m still not. But Justin and I had an open-relationship at the time so it would have been hypocritical of me to castigate him for something that I was doing myself… getting blowjobs, I mean.”


“You said ‘had’, so does that mean you are exclusive now?”


“You could certainly say that, and if I had my way it would be 100% true. But I never wanted Justin to feel like he was missing out on his life by being tied down to me so early on. Having the open-relationship made it so that he and I didn’t have to hide our urges, and so that no one could use sex in any capacity as a weapons against either of us.”


I nod, acknowledging the very honest reason that they just worked. If anything broke Brian and Justin apart again, it certainly wouldn’t be for a reason as trivial as sex. There would be a much deeper issue like there was the last time, and oddly, that makes me very happy and relieved for both of them. I’d never met people more suited to each other. “So Justin, if Michael Novotny and Lindsay Peterson didn’t release these clips, do you know who did?”


“Absolutely. Although Howard Bellwether released them, the person he would have obtained them from would have also had something to gain. In this case, Gardner Vance would have tried to discredit Brian and me, thinking that we would have wanted to hide from this instead of acknowledging what really happened that night.”


“You sound so sure that Vance was behind this. Is there any proof?”


“There’s plenty, beginning with the fact that he used both Michael and Lindsay to keep tabs on Brian. If Brian wasn’t with me, then they split up, with one following me around, while the other tried to keep his attention on themselves. On this particular night, Michael, who was a frequent visitor to Babylon, set the arrangement up. However, he didn’t count on his mother beginning to develop a life of her own at the same time. So it became a matter of grave importance that he assert and maintain his control over her, therefore he left his instructions to Gary, and Lindsay called to reiterate them. I heard the entire conversation after a friend of his offered me a drink which I declined. I opted to do a line of drugs instead to calm myself. I didn’t like the look that passed between Gary and the unknown man, and it made me even more nervous. After Gary suggested that I remove my shirt, his phone rang and he answered it right next to me, it was Lindsay. I’d recognize her voice anywhere.”


“So how did Gardner Vance end up with the clips?”


“Money talks, Jane. Since Lindsay and Michael, along with my sperm donor, are currently occupying nine-by-nine cells as their new homes, they wouldn’t have been able to pay for the evidence of my supposed perfidy. However, as a co-conspirator, and a part-time lover, Gardner would have known about Lindsay’s plan. The ultimate goal has always been centered on Brian in some way. For Gardner’s part, he’d been trying to find a way to blackmail Brian into doing whatever he wanted, including working with Jim Stockwell. If that meant using his young lover as a means to control Brian, then so be it. The funny thing is that even now, this has the hand of Lindsay Peterson written all over it. She wasn't expecting me to be able to protect myself- actually none of them were. More fool them!”


“What do you mean?”


“Only that I turned State’s evidence over just a little while ago against the soon-to-be former owner of Babylon. A few of the high-profile notables at Gary’s house party had been looking for a way to take him down, even while they readily accepted his hospitality. Gary may have had many friends in high places, but he had bigger enemies even higher. I fit in with the latter, only he didn't know it.”


“I see. So what does this mean in terms of Kinnetik going forward?”


“It means that we continue on with business as usual, until we are called to testify. Even with a semi-shady past, I would hope that none of our business relationships would be sullied or painted with the wrong kind of brush. Brian and I are very stable people, despite the foibles and follies of our youth. We have so many other things to consider, and a great deal of people who depend on us, beginning with our family. No way will we mess up their faith in us.” Justin leans into Brian, who in turn, kisses the young man on the side of his forehead. And nothing else needs to be addressed after that.


“Brian, Justin, thank you both for being so candid with us and answering all of our invasive questions. The next time we’ll see you will be at the start of the trials.” I turn to the camera then. “Well, America, there you have it. The rise of the Taylor-Kinney Empire has truly had an interesting beginning. And I, for one, am looking forward to seeing them grow as businessmen, and as people. You can send any proposals to join their conglomerate to the care of their attorney, Melanie Marcus. Each packet must also include a complete business plan, cost projections, and risk analysis to be fully considered. Please allow four to six weeks for review which at such time, they will contact you directly. Again, thank you all for joining us on this very special broadcast. On behalf of myself, George Bell and Jessica Lynn Mayer, I’m Jane Markell, wishing you all a good night.”


“And that’s a wrap!” the Director yells after the closing credits have finished.


“You both did very well, considering the circumstances,” I compliment them. “What’s next for you guys?”


Brian smirks, while pulling Justin closer. “First, pineapple coffee cake and then a ride on a very rocky terrain.”


“Horseback riding? This time of evening?”


Justin smiles brightly then. “You could say that, since I will be taking my turn atop my prize stallion. Come along, Stud. I have a promise to keep.”


I know I look shocked as the rest of them just laugh at their antics. Jinx comes over to me, and manually closes my jaw which fell open at the blatant innuendo. “Welcome to the world of Brian and Justin. You’re in for quite the adventure,” she says, still chuckling.

 

“Never a dull moment with those two,” Melanie confirms as we all head inside to indulge in Brian’s second favorite obsession. The first one is so obviously Justin.