- Text Size +

 

 

 

CHAPTER 73: THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LOVE AND POSSESSION


ABRAMS/WILDER RESIDENCE

VIC


I’m looking at my sister, sitting by the pool, still trying to absorb exactly what happened last night as she nurses the black eye Jenn had given her. Part of me feels quite sorry for her. I mean, due to her own actions she’s going to be completely alone. Rodney finally asked me to do the one thing he never would have… he asked me to choose. It wasn’t and never has been a choice between him and my sister. He’s always understood just what Deb meant to me, and that even though we have a shared history by way of DNA, we also had a friendship. But now, Rodney has asked me to choose between my love for Deb, and the love I have for myself.


After I arrived back at Alex and Stephen’s house last night, he was near tears. Deb, of course, had stormed home after being unceremoniously dumped into a cab from the temporary mansion that Brian, Justin, and Mel are living in. I had the distinct feeling that if she hadn’t been, Nancy and Glenda were about to take target practice on Deb’s ass next. That wouldn’t have been beneficial to anyone. Anyway, Rodney hustled me out to the pool area and advised me to just listen. Deb ranted and raved about how dishonorable I was to side with Brian and Justin against her and Michael. Once again, I was subjected to the litany of all she had done for me, Mel, and the guys. Admittedly, she had done a lot, but it was NEVER for our own benefit, but for that of her and Michael. 


The sad thing is that I could have gone the rest of my life not having heard any of her insults and insinuations, and would have remained blissfully ignorant of my sister’s venom. In fact, I would have preferred to have never known that she thought I would have died long ago… and that she thought God should have smitten me down right then and there for standing with her detractors at a time when she needed me the most. After all, the brother she had known, loved and taken care of so selflessly was never as traitorous as the imposter apparently housed within my body. It was that sentence that put my role within the scope of Deb’s life into perspective; the moment Rodney asked me to make my choice: either her or MYSELF. And for the first time ever, I decided to choose ME.


So as I’m standing here watching her, it’s not hard to see the bitterness which has begun to weigh her shoulders down. With every rise and fall of her heaving bosom, she reminds me of the fire-breathing dragon so often heard about in fairytales. But this isn’t one of those; it’s real life, and if I’m ever going to have a chance to really live it, I have to detach from her with love. I love Deb, but I love me just that bit more which no longer allows me to be considered one of her prized possessions.


“We need to talk, Deb,” I say to her as I come to rest in the chair, opposite of where she’s lounging.


“I have nothing to say to you, Victor Marius Grassi! How could you just leave me hanging like that last night?!”


“You asked for it, Deb. You were told to stay away…”


“You could have corrected them! You could have stood up for me! After everything I have done to build us into a new family, they owed it to me!”


“You. You, you, YOU!” I yell back at her. “All I ever fucking hear about is what YOU have done for us! Nevermind that you and your son reaped just as many benefits- if not more- with our continued association with you.”


“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?!”


“Just what I said, Deb,” I answer, lowering my voice. “I didn’t come out here to get into a screaming match with you. I just wanted to inform you of some decisions I have made recently, especially in lieu of your behavior last night.”


“My behavior? MY BEHAVIOR?! I’m the one sitting here with a black eye, and you have the absolute nerve to talk about my behavior?!”


“Your eye is the result of the appalling arrogance you displayed last night. And just what the hell did you think would happen when you raised your hand to strike Jennifer? She isn’t one of your lost boys, Deb.”


“Yeah, well. The bitch deserved it.”


“And yet you are the one here, nursing the black eye that you deserve.” I sigh. “Look, Deb, I just came to tell you that as soon as your house is sold, you’re on your own.”


“What? Now you’re leaving me, too?”


“I didn’t choose to leave you…”


“Bullshit! You just said that I’m on my own once my house is sold…”


“And I meant that. As I was saying, I didn’t make the choice to leave you, but you forced me to pick a side…”


“So you ARE siding with them against me,” she accused.


“No, I’m siding with ME against you, Deb!” I take a calming breath before continuing a discussion that I don’t want to have, but for the sake of my own sanity, I must. “Look, Deb, I love you… we all do, or more accurately, did, at this rate. But all you see when you look at us are possessions. As long as we are where you want us, allowing you to move around like chess pieces in your life, you are happy. Well, those days are over, Deb. You have deliberately set the fire to the proverbial bridges which have helped you across the many troubled waters of your life. WE- and yes I mean me TOO- are no longer going to be here for you to step on at will, while you continue to collect what you consider is your due. And you’re going to have to deal with it because none of us are going to change our minds.”


“Vic…”


“Is no longer going to willingly be your punching bag or whipping post. You’ll have to find another, or better yet, grow a pair and stand on your own two feet for once instead of demanding that everyone else do the standing for you.”


“Where is this coming from? Rodney has turned you against me, didn’t he?”


“NO, Debra. YOU DID! You and your spite and venom! Well congratulations, sister dear. You win the big boobie prize. You’ve finally managed to push everyone away and in the most permanent way possible.”


I can see Deb thinking about what I’ve just said… and unfortunately, she reacts the exact way I expect her to. “Well FINE then! Leave me ALONE! And when you all realize you need me, just watch and see if I come to your rescue again!”


“You’ll be waiting a very long time for that day to come. I wish I could be angry at you. I wish I could knock some fucking sense into that concrete-jungle of a brain you have. But instead, I think I’ll just pity you. While the rest of us are thriving, I’ll have to watch from afar as the woman whom I used to adore above all others, continues to wither away and die of suffocation from her own vitriol. Have a good life, Debra. I’ll have Mel contact you after the sale of your house is completed.”


Everything I said to her is true… She looks like my beloved sister; sounds like my beloved sister, but that is NOT my sister. That is the bitter troll who has charged us one too many times under the guise of safety and unconditional love. And as I meet my lover in the kitchen, I mourn the loss of the only friend and family member who really knew me for most of my life. I will miss the young woman who was fearless and dedicated and determined to make it on her own. But looking into the eyes of my lover, I can celebrate the fact that I have gained all my hopes and dreams- at long last a real family, and a husband who does indeed love me unconditionally.


KINNETIK ELITE

BRIAN


“So, can anything be done about it?” I ask the one person who should know if I can resign as Michael’s power of attorney.


“Sure, Brian. You would definitely have to write a letter, stating that you no longer want to fulfill that role. Do you know if he had a secondary where his medical needs are concerned, in the event that something happened to you?” Mel asks.


“Don’t you know? I thought you were his attorney… well, at least, until all this mess happened.”


She shakes her head. “No. But then again, perhaps Lindsay took him to her parents attorney as she’s done before when I’ve said something they didn’t agree with. I should have known then that something was rotten in the milk between those two.”


“There always was, even though we were both blind to it.”


We’re interrupted by the single knock on the door, before the mother of my favorite blond walks through the door. “I hope I’m not interrupting,” Jennifer says as she approaches the desk.


“Not at all,” I answer. “Just trying to figure out how to get out from under Michael’s machinations, once again.”


“Ironically enough, I’m in a similar situation where Craig is concerned. I don’t know if he’s forgotten, or has intentionally kept me as his power of attorney to keep me tied to him. As it stands right now, both Lori and I are fulfilling roles, even though it’s helping me get things straight. I’ll probably wait until after the cases against him are decided to officially resign.”


“Jennifer has a point, Brian…”


“That may be in reference to herself, but not for me, Mel. I also need to officially resign as Deb’s POA, too.”


“Deb?” Jenn asks me.


“Yes. She knew that there was always a possibility that Vic couldn’t make the decision to pull the plug, both because of his own health and the fact that she’s all the family they have had for a long time. So that only left me to take on the task. I don’t want to be medically responsible for her, and I definitely don’t want to be Michael’s go-to. Hell, I don’t want to be responsible for either of them at all! In fact, if they had asked me to pull the plug for Michael last night, I would have without any hesitation. I shouldn’t have to make that kind of decision with the kind of mood I’m in where either of them are concerned.”


“I can understand that, Brian,” Mel sighed. “So, I’ll draft the letter and have it ready for your signature within the hour. Okay?”


“Thanks, Mel. I know this is hard for you…”


“It is, but only because it’s now come to this. But I understand why it has to be this way, and for what it’s worth, I support you wholeheartedly in this decision.”


“I have to wash my hands of them, Mel… for my own sanity.”


She nods, and leaves the office. As the door closes behind her, Jennifer comes around the desk to stand behind me, placing her hands gently on my shoulders. “You’re okay, Brian.”


I leaned into her touch, which in and of itself is shocking. But Jennifer, like Justin, have a way about them that soothes me in a way that nothing else can. “Not yet, Mom. But I suppose I will be.” I sigh deeply. “I just want this all to be over. I don’t think I can handle any more revelations, or surprises about any of this.”


“You don’t think you can, Son. But you will do what you have to do regardless. There’s a reason that you are highly respected both within this industry, and in life in general. It’s because of your strength of character, and presence of mind. People call you an asshole, but I don’t believe that… never have.”


I chuckled a bit before responding. “Not even when I was corrupting your baby boy?”


She laughs. “Not even then. I may have had a few harsh thoughts in the beginning, but the more I got to know you as a man, and then as the man who loves my son, I began to see what so many others willfully missed.”


“And that is?”


“That you have one of the biggest hearts the world has ever seen. And therein you hide a lot of hurt and anger, but you would never come to the decision to withdraw your hands, help, and support unless absolutely pushed to do so. It’s something I learned when you and Justin split up. You were still his friend, his advocate, and his staunchest supporter, against every condemning person with an opinion, even though you let him go to try and find happiness with someone else.” 


I turn to look at her then. “How did you know I let him go, even when he didn’t realize it at the time?”


She smiled. “Your eyes tell me what I want to know, Brian. And they followed Justin, even when you didn’t think anyone was looking. They tell me, even now, just why you and Justin are determined to make this work between you. They tell me that you have, at last, stopped fighting the desires of your heart and have finally embraced them. And I couldn’t be more happy… more proud of you.”


She leaned down to kiss my cheek, before grabbing her purse and leaving the office. It always amazes me that even with the way our relationship began, that Jennifer seems to know more about me than the people who have known me much longer. But instead of that making me uneasy as it would have a few years ago, it bolsters and grounds me when I feel close to flying off the handle, like in making the decision to sever the ties that still kept me tied to the Novotnys. And I can’t help but be thankful for that.  



JUSTIN


I just hung up the phone from speaking with Emmett. Ordinarily, speaking with one of my best friends is a joy, but not today. I was in no way prepared for what he called to tell me. It appears that the very thing I wasn’t sure about in reference to Michael, is in the process of being confirmed right now; that there really was a sinister purpose to him having those vials and syringes in the office at his former comic shop. I want, with every fiber of my being, to go down to the jail to personally kick his ass for putting me in this position. Because, upon Emmett’s recommendation, I have to tell Brian about them… that what I had speculated all along, is about to become actual fact.


“Hey Justin, I have the boards for Torso,” Hunter says as he comes into the office. 

 

I roll my eyes. “So how do you think they look?”


“Huh?”


“I know you heard me the first time, so an answer would be nice.”


“Erm… fine, I guess?”


“Are you asking me, or telling me?” It’s become an exercise in patience and persistence to restore Hunter to the smart mouthed know-it-all since he started working here. Somehow he’s taken it into his head that we’ll fire him for just simply speaking his mind. I can’t even imagine where he got that impression since both Daphne and Cynthia are still very much employed here… and they speak their minds ALL THE TIME!


“What do you want me to say?”


“What you think. And don’t be nice or shy about it, either.”


“I, uh…”


“Okay, let’s cut the shit, shall we?” I motion him over to the sofa near the fireplace in my office. Handing him a glass of pineapple juice, and taking the seat right beside him, I encourage him to put his feet up as I do the same. “So what’s with this sudden reticence to speak up?”


“It’s not so much reticence per se; just that I don’t want anyone to think I’m receiving special treatment.”


“You’re not, but if you were, it’s mine and Brian’s prerogative who we bestow those privileges upon. I take it someone has said something to the effect that you are?” I swear sometimes it’s like pulling teeth. “Who?”


“Blondie… Justin…”


“Real talk, Hunter. That’s the only thing I’ve ever demanded of you, and I’m evoking that clause in our relationship right now.” He takes a deep sigh, and it’s then that I know he really wants to tell me. But something is stopping him from doing so, and I don’t think it’s necessarily about getting someone reprimanded for speaking to him out of turn. I press him for the answer again, already dreading the answer. “What is it?”


At my implacable tone, Hunter knows that he really has no choice in the matter. “I… my past… I know some people here, who also know who and what I was. There have been several innuendos about how I got this job, and why.”


I nod, confirming that I had a feeling that’s what this was about. “Have your test scores come in yet?”


“Two days ago. But I haven’t opened them yet.”


“Why not?”


“Content not to know that I’ve failed at something else, I guess.”


“When you get off tonight, we ARE going to open that envelope. Pass or fail, your job here won’t be affected. However, if you passed, I think I have another position within the company you can occupy, as opposed to glorified gofer.”


“But I like my job as it is, with the exception of a few people…”


“I know, and you will still hold it in some capacity. But what I have in mind will pay more. Now tell me who it is.”


“Why do you need to know?”


“Okay, let’s start with an easier question and then I will tell you. Deal?”


He mulls it over for a moment before he nods. “That seems like a fair trade.”


“So what did you think of the boards?”


“That Gus, having Brian’s DNA and your influence, couldn’t have done a better job of fucking them up.”


“Damn! That bad, huh?”


“Yeah, Dude. I’ve seen Kindergarteners with more vision, and that’s just working with fingerpaints.” 


“Well, I think that settles that,” I say as I move over to the phone to call Brian, Daph, and Cynthia to the conference room where the boards are currently set up.


“What?”


“I warned the team that was working on that particular account if they didn’t fix it correctly, and to the specifications that Brian and I laid out, that there would be some pink slips issued by five o’clock today. This is me keeping that promise.”


“But.. but… YOU CAN’T!”


At Hunter’s distressed look, I hang up the phone momentarily, then ask, “And why not?”


“Because…”


“Because is a conjunction that joins two sentences together, NOT a reason. So I’d like an actual explanation as to why I shouldn’t follow through on an explicitly-given warning.” At his continued silence and cast-down eyes, I understand completely. “So, it’s them, huh?”


“Among others, but only two of them within that group have been the most vocal about it,” he confirms, at last.


I nod again. “Well you shouldn’t worry about it since they were warned and had ample time to correct their fuckup. I will tell you this though. Those for-shit boards were done for several reasons, and not just because of their collective lack of talent. The reason was to goad Brian into calling a private meeting with the lead exec on the account, and the other was to piss me off by undermining me. So firing them because of their disparaging remarks to you will just be an added bonus for me.”


“But wasn’t the reason they were hired or kept on in the first place was to avoid a discriminatory lawsuit?”


“Who told you that?” I ask, in complete surprise.


“Daphne. She told me your reasoning when I asked why Troy was still within the office. Just as he knows my past, I know his since we both occupied the same profession for a while. The other guy I didn’t know about until I heard them talking about his first time. It took me a minute to figure out that he was talking about you, and was still scorned by your rejection the next day after you fucked him. But I mean, he could hardly blame you for that since you were still with Brian at the time. Not only that, but I’m fairly certain you would have told him even before getting dressed that it wouldn’t happen again. You’re a pretty honest dude, Blondie.”


I smile at his assessment of my character. “You are correct in that I told him. After we finished, I told him that, but he still showed up at the Diner the next day thinking that I had changed my mind. I didn’t. In fact, if I’m honest, he kind of reminded me of myself with Brian. I tried to let him down gently that night; I didn’t want him to feel like I did just before I decided to make Brian mine in every way that mattered. But when he showed up to the Diner, it became apparent that I had to be a little more forceful. As it was, Debbie was questioning me about who he was. So the last thing I needed was for Michael to see me and Eric together, then start his usual bullshit of ‘run-and-tell-that’ to Brian. We all knew he would since that’s exactly what he did in reference to Ethan later on.

 

“However personal their feelings will be regarding the termination of their employment, is as professional the reasons are behind letting them go, once and for all. They disregarded direct orders, not once, but three times. They could cost us a lucrative client in some imagined-vendetta they have going, and most importantly, they are working with Gardner Vance to sabotage Kinnetik from the inside. Those are actions that Brian and I cannot overlook, or tolerate if we’re going to play in the big leagues. And that is where we are headed, Hunter. So it’s better to cut the dead weight now so this company can soar.”


“I understand now, Justin. And thank you for listening to me… hell, thanks for making me tell you in the first place. Ben told me that I should, but I just didn’t want to make waves, you know?”

 

“I get it. Brian has had to remind me quite frequently that my word is law, at times. So we’re both still learning, in a sense. But in the future, don’t be afraid to mention shit like this. It needs to be addressed immediately, and bullying is something that your bosses don’t take kindly to… and I mean, none of us. So if Brian and I are unavailable, tell Cyn, Daph, Ted or even Mel. They are our voices when Brian and I can’t be here. Okay?”


He gets up to give me a hug, when I hear the crinkle coming from his pocket. Apparently he heard it, too since he starts blushing immediately. He stammers as he starts explaining. “Just because I haven’t opened it yet, I didn’t want to leave it lying around so that anyone else would. So I’ve been carrying it around with me.”


Remembering my own reaction to the acceptance letter from PIFA, I completely understand it. “Well, there’s no time like the present. Since I have to call HR anyway to get the termination packets ready, I would really like to know what I’m doing regarding your position with the company, Squirt. Think you might want to put yourself out of your misery sometime within the next thirty seconds?”


He snickered before responding. “Don’t you mean put you out of your curiosity?”

 

“That too. So come on, Man. OPEN IT!”