- Text Size +

 

 

 

CHAPTER 74:  LOW BLOWS


HUNTER:


I have to say that being friends- being family- with Justin has been a revelation. He’s nothing like I thought he was when we first met. Perhaps the fact that I was attracted to Brian- and seriously, who wouldn’t be?- played a major role in our interactions from the onset. Admittedly, I was jealous, and grossly misinformed about the person Justin is. Word on the street was that he was simply Brian’s boytoy, who whored his way into repeat performances and used King Kinney for his money. So my initial thought was that I could do much better for Brian since he rumored to be into charity cases.


It wasn’t until I got to see their dynamic, up close and personal, that I realized that the people spouting such nonsense really didn’t know dick about either of them. I had just gone to live with Ben and He whose name has already been written in BIG letters on the roster of Hell. Whereas Ben was mostly silent on the subject, mini-Beelzebub was most vocal in his opinions. After the normal tirade from Hell’s minion, Ben would pull me to the side, or take me for a walk and tell me to make sure I got to know who really mattered in the world of Brian Kinney, instead of having my views skewed by a wannabe. In all honesty, at the time I thought he was only speaking of Lindsay, and maybe Melanie too, since they always seemed the most critical of Brian and Justin, especially the latter.


It wasn’t until I was forced to spend time alone with the personification of Satan’s pitchfork, himself, that I began to really understand what Ben was telling me. In a way, you have to wonder just how fucked up Brian was to accept the constant interference of the Idiot and his wonder twit, Imbecila. I couldn’t figure out if it was just a case of keeping his friends close and allowing his enemies closer, or if he really couldn’t see their hidden agendas which were so plain to many of us. But after getting to really know Brian, and seeing just what Justin really does for him, I began to understand that he learned to be distrustful from a mountain of experiences, which somehow ran parallel to my own. Justin, and people like him, Ben, and Emmett, seem to have been placed on this earth to dispel the clouds of cynicism that were always associated with the emotion.


Don’t get me wrong, a little distrust is a healthy thing; I can’t imagine where I would be if I continued to trust the bitch who birthed me. But to constantly be encouraged to push away people who have your best interests at heart, takes it to a whole new level. Anyway, when I heard the stories of all Brian and Justin had been through before I arrived in their lives, I really understood what kept them together, even when they were apart. In spite of all their turmoil- or maybe because of it- they loved each other. There was just something within each of them that called to the other; that indefinable, undeniable magnetism that kept them joined regardless of the circumstances.


“What are you waiting for, Squirt? Open the envelope!” Justin demands, pulling me out of my reverie.


“I...I…”


He smiles at me. “Give it here, man. I’ve been there, remember?” 


His eyes are a little sad, but in a flash, it’s gone. All that’s there now is the excitement and anticipation of having his curiosity satisfied. Tearing it open carefully, Blondie withdraws the paper with minimal flare, even as I can feel my heart rate speed up a bit. I watch silently as his eyes scan, not only the test scores, but the transcripts from the courses that accompany it. Fuck, what if I didn’t pass? Is all I can think as he goes perfectly still while reading it. 


Adopting a sad face, before turning the papers to me, he says, “Well, I guess I’d better call H.R. for you, too…”


I snatch the papers out of his hands, nearly giving him about six papercuts all at once. “What?!” 


It’s then that I’m distracted by his blinding smile. “I have to call Tracy in H.R. to tell her that we’ve officially found our Quality Assurance Liaison between all departments. That’s going to be your NEW job title.”


“What? Are you fucking serious?!”


“Absolutely, Squirt! You never told me and Brian that all of your classes were advanced placement. Those documents you’re holding not only give you your graduation credits, but also puts you right on target to enter college as a second semester freshman. Congratulations!” He tells me as he embraces me.


And I can’t help but to hug him back. All those times I thought I was stupid, and would never amount to anything; the insults I’ve endured constantly while being fucked by that little rat-bastard and his fuckbuddy, Lance… it’s all been worth it, just to prove every single fucking naysayer WRONG! “I can’t believe it!”


“Well believe it, Hunter! You’ve not only passed, but…” Justin’s voice cracks as he continues to hold me. “Now, I want you to promise me something.”


“Anything.”


“Always remember this moment, and never let what anyone else thinks of you mean more to you than what you believe about yourself. They don’t know shit! Look how many fucking people told me I’d never draw again, but what do I do?”


“Create masterpieces.” and it’s then that I really understand what he’s telling me.


“And you will, too, just by living by your own standards, and accepting nothing less. I’m proud of you, Squirt. So fucking PROUD!”


I can’t stop the tears from flowing, even as I feel him shudder against me. There’s something overwhelming about having Justin Taylor’s seal of approval; even moreso than Brian’s. Perhaps it’s because despite being born ‘privileged’ he’s had just as many struggles to overcome as I did, even though within a different context. It took me awhile to understand that, but now that I do, I couldn’t imagine sharing this moment of victory with anyone else. Our moment of triumph is interrupted by the most wanted intrusion imaginable at this time.


“Should I be worried that you’re holding onto Sunshine so tightly? You don’t have a chance in hell of stealing him, you know. Besides, he only bottoms for one man,” came the caustic innuendo.


“Idiot,” Justin snickers out. While he pushes me back a bit, he doesn’t release me. “I was just congratulating your mini-me here.”


“Oh?” Brian asks. “Explain the lesbianic behavior please.”


“You’re looking at our new Quality Assurance Liaison, Brian.”


“But that would mean… Holy shit! You passed?!”


I smile brightly in the face of his wide eyes, as he pats me on the back. But it’s Justin who answers, “Of course, he passed, Brian. But more than that, he’ll be entering CMU as a second semester freshman. Hunter has been on the fast track to his degree, even before he had to drop out of school. I can understand why poor intimidated Mikey didn’t tell us, but why didn’t Ben?”


I clear my throat then, to answer. “Because I didn’t want anyone to know, in case I didn’t pass a class. If I had to ever repeat any of them, I didn’t need the sideways and pity looks from failing, so I asked him to keep it quiet. Unfortunately, Little Satan had to know since he was considered my guardian at one time. But you’re right about why he would have wanted to keep it quiet. He was surrounded by two overachievers; one whom he wanted but could never have, and the other whom he wanted to be, but didn’t have the brain capacity. Though that second thought may need some reevaluating, considering where he’s sitting right now and why.”


“What do you mean?” Brian asks, but Justin interrupts.


“We’ll speak about it later, Brian,” Justin tells both of us, and I know that he knows just what I’m talking about as well. But how? “Right now, we need to get down to the conference room, and view those atrocious boards. Hunter said that Gus couldn’t possibly have fucked them up more.”


“Damn. That bad, huh?” 


And that was all it took to bring Brian’s attention back to the business side of things. I will have to learn how Blondie does that so smoothly, where Brian doesn’t even take umbrage at being so obviously maneuvered. I almost have to laugh considering it was the exact same thing Justin said when I gave him the original description of what I thought of the boards for Torso. 


“As soon as you, Daph, and Cyn have a chance to look over the boards, their asses are history,” Justin announces.


“Just those two?” Brian asks, eyebrow raised.


“No. The whole fucking team was already warned. I was just about to call Tracy to get the termination packets prepared when Hunter and I got distracted.” Justin smiles evilly then. “In fact, I think the entire Executive team should be present during the meeting about the boards.”


Brian smiles, just as malevolently, before reiterating, “The whole executive team, hmm? Well I think that’s befitting. Don’t you, Hunter?”


What the hell are they asking me for? I shake my head at each of them. “Well let me know how that goes. I’ll be making my usual rounds.” I move towards the door when Justin’s next words stop me.


“Not today, you won’t. Nope. Instead you will be in a meeting terminating the idiots who dared disregard mine and Brian’s orders in a last-ditch effort to fuck over their bosses.”


“I don’t understand.”


“Forgive the oversight of your immediate boss, Hunter. I think he forgot to give you the actual job description amid all the excitement,” Brian tells me. “Have a seat, and while Justin takes care of those phone calls, I’ll fill you in on what we expect of you as the new QAL for Kinnetik. By the way, Justin, don’t forget to call Ted about the paperwork, and have Daphne grab the keys to Hunter’s new office from Frank.”


Justin nods, even as I sit there stunned from what’s being decided. “Brian, why do I get the feeling that this whole idea is not as spur of the moment as it appears?”


“Because it isn’t, Squirt. It’s actually why your sudden reticence to self-advocate has been disturbing me and Justin for some time now.” At my near-protest, Brian raised his hand. Making sure of my silence, he continues. “When Justin and I hired you as the gofer, it was only meant to be a temporary situation, until your test scores came in. However, prior to that, we already knew that we would need a brutally honest person to work as our Quality Assurance Liaison, especially due to the jackasses who were trying to sabotage the company from within. We thought you could be that person.”


“Why me?”


“Because you know when and how to call a spade, a spade. Although you are brutally honest, you also have the sarcastic wit, and humor that is naturally inbred, just like your favorite Blondie over there. Now that you will be working closely with Justin and Daphne, you’re going to pick up a few more tactics that will also refine your natural skill to tell someone their work is for shit without us incurring a lawsuit.”


 “But you don’t give a shit how you say it.” I smirk at him.


“Honestly, neither does Justin, but we’re the owners and can get away with it. You on the other hand, can’t be as outspoken unless it’s directly to the people considered on par with you… well to an extent, anyway. As the QAL, it will be your job to make sure that the for-shit work never reaches us. You will be checking over the boards and matching them up to our explicit instructions for each account. Should there be an artist who deviates from it by adding in a good idea, then you can let it slide and bring it to our attention. However, if they detour from the plans, and the idea is just not good, or they have decided to go off and disregard the written instruction altogether, feel free to send that shit back, reiterate the instructions, and demand they redo it. At that point, you send an email to Daphne and Cynthia, alerting them to potential problems with the boards, and they will back you up should any further disciplinary action needs to be taken. Make sure that you keep a copy of each board in your email, once you collect the hard copies from the department. Be personable, but don’t fuck around.”


I nod, understanding exactly what’s going to be expected of me. “This is why you didn’t look for someone outside to fill the position?”


“Exactly why, Hunter. We needed someone who could fulfill the position with loyalty and honor; someone who knows the value Justin and I place on presenting excellence in all we do. A person who is just meeting us never would have fit this bill. So now, we need to discuss the increase in your salary. All of your other benefits will remain the same, but since you’re now going to be an executive within Kinnetik, you’ll receive the same benefits as those who work up here in Elite. That includes a clothing allowance, company car with insurance, AND eighty-grand as a base salary.”


I nearly fall off of the sofa at his pronouncement. As it is, they are paying for my meds, whose cost is already astronomical. But now they are pretty much paying for everything else, too. “I… I… I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to repay you guys for this, Big Bad.”


Brian shook his head at me. “Hunter, we take care of family. Just do a great job, that is all we’re asking in return. In the meantime, you have to let us know your class schedule because you WILL be completing your degree. You get me?”


“Hell yeah, I do!”  And really I do get him.


I no longer have a reason to believe that I can’t live a full life even with this chronic illness inside of me. And that’s the thing about Brian and Justin that I really have learned. They don’t hold weight with the shit people say about them; just constantly work their own show of letting people believe what they want to, while administering a healthy dose of shut the fuck up. For that reason alone, this position is going to be just perfect for me. It’s just too bad that the people who really need to see me in action are about to get fired. But I’m pretty sure word of mouth is going to spread like wildfire for those employees remaining, and they will hear of my triumph over the grave my egg donor and former profession tried to dig me into. 


Justin comes back over to the sofa, after making sure everything is in readiness. “Let’s go, gentlemen. We have some boards to look at, and then we’ll need to administer some Preparation H.”


“Preparation H?” I ask, even as Brian begins to laugh.


“Yep. Some asses are about to start burning from hitting the skids out of Kinnetik. I plan on kicking their metaphorical asses so hard, they’ll swear they’re having hemorrhoid trouble.”


I can’t help but laugh then. I understand exactly what Brian means about Justin’s sardonic wit and sense of humor. The fact that he said that shit with a completely straight face is nothing short of amazing to me. I think I’m going to enjoy working closely with these guys… more than anyone they can possibly imagine. We walk into the conference room, and fuck if I’m NOT laughing even harder now.


“You can’t be serious?” I gasp, damn near laughing so hard I’m in danger of getting the hiccups.


Daphne looks up at me with a smile on her face. “Well Justin is a very literal kind of guy. In the meantime, I hear congratulations are in order. I know you’ll do well, Hunter.”


I nod, even as Cynthia comes over to hug me, saying the same thing. “As soon as Justin and I got off the phone, I called everyone. So we have late-lunch reservations at Le Monde immediately following this meeting. It will be a major celebration of sorts.”


I look at my watch, realizing that it’s already after two in the afternoon. I didn’t realize how long I’d spent within the confines of Justin’s office. The place just screams such comfort and creativity that it isn’t hard to lose track of time in there. Hopefully my own office will have the same effect on me, although I know I will still have to run to Boutique and Unique quite often. I still cannot believe how this day is turning out!    


“Oh, guys, before I forget, Elaine Stanhope and Charles Murphy asked to be included in the meeting,” Daphne announces.


“Why?” Cynthia asks.


“Elaine, mostly because she’s worked with Brian and Justin’s ideas before, but Murph wants to be here to watch you fire them. He told them over and over again that the bullshit on the boards is NOT what you asked for, nor is it the caliber of work that Brian and Justin are known for. They told him to mind his business, even though he’s the ADA down in the trenches…”


“That’s true,” I add, “I was there when they had a huge argument about it. Finally, Murph told them to do what they wanted, but he was going to be glad to see the backs of them immediately following the presentation. Privately, he tried to warn Eric that he was sabotaging his career, but the guy… well, let’s just say that he was kinda obsessed about following through with doing this.”


Daphne shook her head. “Brian, you taught Justin too well. As a result, just as Justin couldn’t let go of your dick, Eric can’t let go of Justin’s. I would say that he’s as bad as Michael was in regards to you, except that you never slept with the whiny bastard. But because Justin did Eric, it’s making the idiot on par or even worse than Ethan. And that’s saying a whole lot!”


“Well, be that as it may,” Justin begins, grinning, “These atrocious boards, and their continued insubordination to the directives given, are about to cost them their jobs. But what should we do about the rest of them? It’s a possibility that they aren’t even aware of the underlying motives of Troy and Eric.”


“I hate to admit it, but that’s true,” I tell them. “While Troy and Eric were the leads on the campaign for Torso, the others were just following orders. The fucked up thing is that they kept reminding the other two that they should take Stanhope and Murph’s advice, but kept being threatened with disciplinary action if they didn’t follow Troy and Eric’s directives.”


“So in your opinion, Hunter, what should we do with them?” Brian asks me.


“What are you asking me for? You’re the boss.”


Cynthia smiled at me before answering. “You’re being groomed, Hunter. Along with Daphne and I, you will be making these types of decisions before we bring our collective opinions to Brian and Justin should a situation like this happen again. So based on what you know, what’s your vote about the other three?”


I thought about it for a moment. The fact was that they were just being good little indians in following the directives of the chiefs in charge. It proves that they can and will follow the mandates given, at least. And in all honesty, I don’t like the idea that they will possibly lose their jobs because of some idiocy the other two planned. To me, that would be like not just punishing the guilty but the innocent as well, when they really had nothing to do with the situation at all.

 

“In that case, I think they should be placed in different teams, while the two who used their positions incorrectly should be let go. They were all willing to follow the mandates given. But with the threat hanging over their heads that not doing so would affect their personnel records, they were forced into thinking about their own self-preservation rather than meeting the needs of the company and client.”


“Well said,” Brian praised. “You took all of the information as it was, and based on what you’ve heard, you’ve made a solid decision; one that both Justin and I happen to agree with.”


“And now, you can stop doubting that you’re ready for this,” Justin adds. I nod in response, because he’s right. There is still that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind about being an executive within this massive company without the education or experience. “So, now that our collective decision is made, I think we should call in Murph and Elaine first, so that they have a firsthand look at this mess before we bring the others in. Any ideas on who we place the others with?”


“I think once Elaine and Murph see the boards, we’ll let them decide where the assistants go,” Cynthia interjected. “As for the meeting itself, Brian and I agree that you should run it completely, Justin.”


He smiles as if he’s a shark and the humans in the water are on his plate for dinner. I can’t help the shiver that races up my spine, looking into his blue eyes right now. Normally where there is a sparkle, and a hint of mischief, now there is nothing but a cold hardness that I’ve only seen him deliver when dealing with the minions of the devil, and his father. Strangely, I also saw it last night when Debbie arrived after the interview, and just before Jenn let loose on her. It’s evident that Sunshine has once again become stormy. 


Elaine and Murph come into the conference room just then, and it isn’t hard to hear the gasps of horror. That’s how I felt when I looked at them, too. Torso is expanding their line from just being couture for the club scene to include high fashion activewear, and evening attire. Instead of honoring that huge change after so many years, these clowns decided to make fun of the idea altogether. It’s insulting to the extreme, and a completely WRONG image of what Kinnetik is about! 


“I hope this means that the two leads are at last going to be tossed out on their asses?” Murph says, barely keeping the contempt and anger from his voice. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him so stern regarding anything.


“They sure are,” Justin answers. “Not only did they insult Torso’s expansion, and Kinnetik’s motto of excellence and pride in what we do, but they’ve now insulted the entire BDSM community as well. The kind of clothing often purchased for that realm has its own place, which is one of the new accounts we just acquired, by the way. But these boards have crossed a line that never should have been drawn in the first place.”


It didn’t help that all of the people being ‘whipped’ on the boards were all blond-haired and blue-eyed, or that there was blood everywhere. I take a look over at Brian, who has gone unusually still, as if trapped within a nightmare no one else can see. Justin must have noticed as well, because he crossed the room over to him in an instant, reassuring and soothing the man back to reality. People can say whatever the hell they want about Big Bad and Baby, but their connection is phenomenal. With just a well-thought word, and the precise placement of his hand, Justin manages to pull Brian back from the brink of wherever his mind had gone.


Daphne has a murderous countenance on her face as she utters, “I think we should get these fucked-up boards out of here before we bring the bastards in. I don’t want them to get any satisfaction in seeing what these boards really represent to us. This fucking shit was all Troy’s doing, for certain.”


Murph asks, “How do you know?”


“Because what they represent… I was there, too.” Daphne’s voice cracks for a moment, she makes a great effort to pull herself back together. Cynthia crossed over the expanse of the room to embrace her as well. I guess she also knows what the meaning behind the boards is.


As if I’d spoken aloud, Cynthia interjects, “Murph, Elaine, Hunter, the reason Daphne knows is because Prom night for Brian and Justin ended in blood, which is something only Troy Perkins knows, out of all the team who created this shit, including Eric Maloney. The reason Troy’s father lost his job- well one of them anyway- was because of his failure to respond to the physical, verbal, and mental threats that were placed against Justin by Chris Hobbs. I suppose that this was his way of wanting to see Justin cowering in a corner about it, while forcing Brian to have to see things his way…”


“His way?” Elaine asks.


“Yes. In Troy’s warped, obsessed mind, Justin is weak, and never could be the ideal partner for Brian. However, he doesn’t know that Justin could never display that particular personality flaw, and yet hold onto Brian; Justin isn’t a fluff and marshmallow type of guy. Even Brian would tell you all that Justin is one of the strongest, emotionally-sound people he’s ever known, even if he lost that realization for a little while. Unfortunately, Troy convinced Eric that he really knew Justin’s reactions, and used him in playing this dirty, underhanded trick. But I don’t suppose the young man will see it that way. With the way those cursed images come across, Eric probably happily drew this in the hopes of reminding Justin what happened to him under Brian’s watch. All they’ve really succeeded in doing is pissing Justin off to the point that whereas he may have been merciful before, now he won’t be at all.”


“What the fuck?! Who the hell drew that shit?!” Mel practically yells.


“Isn’t it obvious?” Daphne says, menace still clear in her voice. I certainly wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that anger just now. “Fortunately for them, they’re about to be fired.”


“Daphne…” Mel tries, but is waved off.


“I won’t do anything to jeopardize my position here, Mel. But let’s just hope they choose to go quietly, shall we?”


Daphne is obviously lethal when pissed, but once Tracy from Human Resources, and Melanie step fully into the conference room, I understood exactly what Cynthia meant about Justin. He was still caressing Brian’s arm, but there was no mistaking the pure unadulterated fury in the low tone emitting from him. “Melanie, I need you to go over Eric and Troy’s contract posthaste to see if I can get away with firing their asses with NOTHING. I don’t want them to have anything Kinnetik-related: not money, not health-insurance, NOTHING!”


Tracy cleared her throat, and swallowed hard before speaking. “You would have to, at least, allow them the three month health insurance through COBRA, Justin. It’s why we as a company pay into it. However, in terms of severance pay, that would definitely be based on their contract stipulations. If there isn’t a clause in there about the reason they are being let go, you may not have a choice about paying them.”


I wonder aloud, “Isn’t the fact that they disobeyed directives, and would’ve brought the company as a whole to disrepute with a client during a presentation, if Brian and Justin weren’t as vigilant as they are, enough to see them terminated without anything?”


Mel answers me, “Under normal circumstances, it would have been. However, their contracts have to say exactly that in order for it to happen, without them having any legal recourse. It’s where Gardner Vance messed up when dealing with Brian. He went against the contract, giving Brian the upper hand where Stockwell was concerned. He tried to make it a situation where Brian was bringing Vanguard into disrepute, when in fact, it was the client Gardner tried to force Brian to work with against his wishes. However, because of the nature in which Troy was kept on, and Eric was hired, firing them at this juncture could be looked at as some sort of personal vendetta. But with the way Brian and Justin are choosing to run Kinnetik, it’s clearly evident that they are insubordinate, especially knowing that the boards have to be approved by the co-CEOs before the final presentation even happens. Since there are numerous emails, and conversations…”


“Conversations?” Brian asks.


“Oops!” Melanie says, and swallows hard before looking to Justin. “You haven’t told him yet?”


“No. I haven’t had time. I was planning on telling him later this evening. But he knows about the meeting Troy and Eric had with Gardner, so that’s enough grounds for dismissal right there under the Espionage Act of 1917.”


“True, but under the Criminal Sabotage Law, what they did, or are trying to do, doesn’t hold water because as employees, they were given a certain level of access. Let me take a look at the contracts for a few moments, and we’ll figure this out…”


“Tell me what?” Brian interrupts.


“We can talk about that later, Brian.”


“I want to know NOW!”


“And I DON’T want to talk about it now!” Justin responds, and I can see the battle of wills going on silently between them before Justin continues. “This has nothing to do with what’s happening within the company, Brian. So later, when we’re in bed, I’ll fill you in. I promise.”


“Why when we’re in bed?” Brian asks, looking into Justin’s eyes. “That bad, is it?”


“More than you can possibly know or believe. But let’s just get this problem out of the way, and go to dinner to celebrate Hunter. Then I’ll tell you what you need to know. Just be assured that it has nothing to do with this. Okay?”


Brian nods, before looking at Mel. “Make sure you go over all of it. Eric’s contract isn’t the one I’m most worried about…”


“I got it, Brian. And if I have my way, Troy Perkins won’t have a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out,” Melanie answers, already pouring over the contract... 

 

I would feel bad for the fucker, but after his implications and insinuations… nah, my feelings about him just aren’t set up that way!