- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER 75: DON’T TAKE IT PERSONAL… BUT THEN AGAIN SINCE YOU TOOK IT THERE...


MEL:


I still can’t believe the abject temerity of those little fuckers to construct boards so... SO FUCKED UP that I can’t even remain professional while looking to give Brian and Justin an out without losing their asses to Troy Perkins and Eric Maloney. But I’m determined to find the loophole in this contract if it’s the last thing I fucking do. And then I will make them sorry in my own way… especially Gardner fucking Vance!


As the team comes into the conference room, I take a minute to look at the newcomers. While three of them greet everyone, even while avoiding eye contact for the most part, the main culprits come in cocksure and apparently self-satisfied. Just within the nick of time, Brian silently gives Hunter the eye to catch Daphne, who was moving around the perimeter of the room stealthily, quite obviously ready to administer some justice in her own special way. Between her and Justin, I don’t know who’s more volatile when pissed off. I still can’t forget the two times I’ve seen the mini-Rage side of Justin. 


But even though DynoDyke was created in my own likeness, I’m willing to bet that Daphne is incredibly close to taking on my comic book character’s persona. If the looks she gives both Hunter, who snagged her around the waist and ushered her in the opposite direction of her prey- and then Brian, who narrowed his own eyes at her, even as she returned his look angrily and unapologetically- told the story, both men would be brutally murdered by now. I can’t say that I blame her, since I feel like going over to where they are standing with their heads together, and punching the smug looks off their faces my damn self. Thankfully, both Jenean and Lori slide into the seats on either side of me, ensuring that my small reverie never becomes steeped in reality. They each take one of the contracts, while I pay close attention to Brian and Justin, who have gone to take their rightful place, together, at the head of the table. 


Ordinarily, they would be seated at opposite ends during board meetings. However, since Justin is running this meeting today, Brian will be seated on his left side, while Daphne will be seated on his right in her capacity as his assistant. Cynthia is going to flank Brian’s left, while the three of us attorneys are more toward the middle of the oblong piece of furniture. Hunter takes the seat to Daphne’s immediate right, even as Ted and Dale come into the room and sit next to him. Stanhope and Murphy will be acting in their capacities as the departmental chairpersons- or more accurately as their official job titles- the Account Management Director and the Assistant Art Director.


If this doesn’t spell FUCKED UP to the team as a whole, I don’t know what would.    


Justin called the meeting to order, with a calmness I’m pretty sure he doesn’t feel. Before he even has a chance to begin, Troy snottily says, “I thought this was a meeting to discuss the boards. So what’s the company gofer doing here? Or should that be…”


“Finish that statement and I will NOT give you a chance to even explain your insubordination regarding the boards, Mr. Perkins.” Justin stares at the man, without batting an eyelash. His voice wasn’t loud, but no one could miss the menace in it. 


“What? You didn’t like what you saw?” Eric snickers in response to Troy’s question.


“Keep talking, Troy, and I’ll show you exactly what I thought of them. But you would like that, wouldn’t you?” 


“You wouldn’t have the balls…”


“We could ask Brian just how big my balls are, couldn’t we? Or wouldn’t you rather just ask Eric? I’m sure he’s still tasting them after I teabagged him, even though he never garnered a repeat performance beyond one night’s boredom. Isn’t that right, Eric?” When at last Troy looks away in the direction of his cohort in cuntiness, who can’t control the look of embarrassment suffusing his face, Justin speaks again. “I thought you might take the hint to keep this on a professional level, since on a personal note, neither of you rate as memorable. That said, although you know most of the executive team, I want to make it undoubtedly clear of James Bruckner’s official job title. He’s the Quality Assurance Liaison, which is also an executive position within this company.”


“No prizes for guessing just how he obtained such a position…” Eric recovers and snidely comments.


Justin smiles meanly then. “It’s certainly ONE vaunted position that you would have NEVER qualified for, isn’t that what you mean, Eric?” He let the innuendo hang in the air in the face of the man’s tell-tale blush. “But to disabuse you of the notion that Hunter- as he prefers to be called- obtained his position here in the same manner that you would have loved to, here’s the accurate and short answer. Brian and I were always grooming him to take it over from the start of his employment here at Kinnetik. In order to fulfill his duties going forward, he needed to have an accurate knowledge of each department he will interact with on a daily basis. He was also to bring his observations about the inner-workings of each department back to me and Brian, and he is the reason that your jobs are in jeopardy right now.”


“What the hell do you mean, ‘he is the reason’?!” Troy explodes, standing up. Then he lowers his voice, leaning towards Hunter. “If he said something…”


“What I said was that the boards were less than… satisfactory,” Hunter says sternly, not even batting an eyelash at the man. And it’s then that I can see exactly why Brian and Justin wanted him for the position of QAL. Hunter doesn’t intimidate easily at all. In fact, he’s more apt to give the same attitude back, knowing that he can handle any and all threats. The situation with Michael was different, but with Troy Perkins there aren’t any holds barred.


“And what makes your opinion mean anything? You have no training, no education, no…”


“What makes him QUALIFIED is that he knows the caliber of work we expect from OUR employees, Troy. When you get some of your own, instead of just the lackluster lackey sitting next to you, then you can have a say in who goes where on the executive team. Now I would suggest that you resume your seat immediately,” Justin orders.


“Brian…” Troy tries, but is immediately cut off, even while Brian kisses the knuckles of Justin’s hand that he’s been holding onto. 


“Is not running this meeting,” Justin says softly, smiling into the eyes of his partner while his breath hitches ever so slightly.



I know Brian is taking additional measures beneath the table to keep Justin focused on the meeting, instead of how badly he’d like to pulverize the fuckers. At the exact moment that I think so would I, I feel the slight touch of Jenean’s hand squeeze my thigh beneath the table. I shoot her a small smile, knowing that she heard and understood me, regardless of my placid countenance. The audacity of these assholes to think that they have the right to question Brian and Justin’s decisions! But I think that Justin has officially had enough of the diversionary tactics.

 

Shaking his head of the haze I know has come over him within seconds of feeling Brian’s touch, Justin clears his throat before speaking again. “As I’ve said, Brian- who you have been told specifically to address as Mr. Taylor-Kinney- is NOT running this meeting. I AM. So now that this has been established for the SECOND time, I think it’s time we go to it. I would like to hear from Maggie, Gerald, and Clay as to why the express written instructions that accompanied your assignment for the Torso account were not followed, ANY of the five times they were reiterated.”


“Justin…”


“Is NOT speaking to you right now, Mr. Maloney. You will have your turn,” Justin cuts off the attempt to distract him, once again.


Jenean pulls out her highlighter, just as Maggie begins to speak. I know that means she’s found what we were looking for. So, shifting my attention to the section of Troy Perkins contract she’s examining, I see the exact wording that I had been over but would have missed again had it not been for her eagle eyes. It’s very small, but it’s just what we needed to see. As I’ve told Justin millions of times, and it’s a lesson that he’s learned undoubtedly well, the bold print gives, but the fine print takes away. And it has taken away in a very MAJOR way this time!


“We were advised that although you, and Mr. Taylor-Kinney, would have final say on the boards, we needed to follow the mandate of our immediate bosses in order not to incur a disciplinary action mark on our permanent records. Although we are all fairly new here, we’ve all worked jobs before where these things occurred with an astounding frequency before being employed by Kinnetik. The guys and I talked about the possibility of losing our positions within the agency because of this, but didn’t really see any other alternative. So, between myself and Clay, we’d taken it upon ourselves to frequently remind both Troy and Eric that we should stick to the mandates given,” Maggie speaks for two out of the three of them.


“And Gerald, what were your thoughts on the matter?”


“That as long as I was able to keep my job, I didn’t care one way or another. I have a family to feed, and couldn’t afford to rock the boat so to speak. As long as at the end of the day I still had a paycheck and benefits, I could go home and bitch about it to my wife, but not here.”


“Why would any of the three of you feel that Troy and Eric had any power to see you written up or fired?” Justin asks, and I have to wonder the same thing.


“Because they entered the company under a higher pay grade than we did,” Maggie states. “In terms of Troy, he kept reminding us that he was here before it was Kinnetik and therefore held a more senior role than any of us.”


Murph interrupted then. “She’s right, Justin. I’ve heard him on several occasions talking to the artists as if he had a direct connection to Brian. Although I reminded them several times that such was not the case, it became an instance where they weren’t sure who to believe. I suppose that Mr. Perkins had neglected to mention that both me and Brian have a much longer and more varied history than he shares with him.”


“Same as with you and me, Murph. So why didn’t you come to us?”


“Let’s just say there was much more to those innuendos that Troy put out than what Maggie and the others know. Besides, he was Elaine’s worker, so although I’d brought it to her attention, there wasn’t much we could do about it at the moment.”


Justin turns to Elaine then. “And your take on the situation?”


“That it was a mistake to keep Perkins on for obvious reasons, but until he messed up to such a degree where it couldn’t be held against you and Brian, we needed to deal with it. That’s what Murph and I agreed to do.”


“And I suppose that extended to Mr. Maloney, as well?”


She nods. “Once we saw that the two of them were bosom buddies, we figured that eventually they would hang themselves. Murph tried to warn him, but well, we’re sitting here, so I guess the advice wasn’t heeded.”


“No it wasn’t,” Justin says thoughtfully. “So here is what’s been decided after the entire executive team met this afternoon: Maggie, Clay, and Gerald, there will be a Level 1 warning placed in your files- not for insubordination, but as a precaution should this type of situation ever occur again. You are not to work together in ANY capacity for a period of six months. Therefore, you will all be placed on separate teams, and your new desk assignments will be given once you go back to your offices after this meeting is over. You all have Mr. Bruckner to thank for this solution, which has ultimately saved your jobs. I would do that now if I were you,” Justin’s softly-given directive resonated in the silence, before the three did as they were instructed. 


The relief on their faces was palpable even as nervousness took over Maloney’s face, and anger was plain on Perkins. Of course, hearing the gratitude of lambs who were being intentionally led to Justin’s slaughter profusely apologize, with assurances that this would not become an ongoing issue for any of them, spurred the other two to go into near-apoplectic fits.


“What the hell do you mean they get to keep their jobs?! They should be out on their asses, regardless of… BRIAN…!” Troy exploded, before we heard the next statement from Eric Maloney.


“I was under the impression that the ENTIRE team would be held responsible for the boards. And where are they anyway?”


“FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME! BRIAN IS NOT RUNNING THIS MEETING; I AM!” Justin yells back in a tone that I’ve never heard from him. 


For Brian’s part, he’s still holding onto the young man’s hand, but there’s a glimmer of… something in his eyes. A touch of fear? Pride? Lust? At his sudden smirk as he meets my eyes, I can see that it’s some combination of all three. That dirty dog! I think, and amazingly, I mean that in the most loving way possible. The two of them have such a mesmerizing dynamic that it’s hard to put into words. 


I watch as Justin takes a deep, slow breath before letting it out and speaking again. “As stated, upon Mr. Bruckner’s recommendation- which we all happen to agree with- Maggie, Gerald, and Clay’s jobs are saved. However, in the essence of time, and because I am absolutely SICK of dealing with the two of you for any reason whatsoever, I’ll say it plainly, your time at Kinnetik Enterprises is officially FINISHED.”


“You can’t do that!” Troy yells, even as Eric threatens, “You’ll be hearing from our attorney!”


“I’d be glad to,” Justin says smugly, returning their mutinous looks with a sunshine smile of his own. “Since your bullshit has been well and truly documented, it will give me great pleasure to send your asses completely to the poor house.”


“What the hell are you babbling about?” Troy asks.


“Oh nothing much, except that the uncoerced accounts of what your former coworkers had to say about you…”


“Uncoerced my ass!” Eric yells. “You threatened their jobs! Of course they would tell you what you wanted to hear!”


“No, that was you and your fellow asshole sitting next to you. I had other options rather than to let them go.”


“What are they? You owe us those same kind of options.”


“No. What I really owe you is a kick up the ass, but you’re not worth sullying my foot over or the inevitable lawsuit you would try to file. So you’re just going to have to content with yourself with the knowledge that while we were here in this meeting, your desks and personal possessions were cleared out from Boutique and are waiting for you at the security desk with Frank. Please give Gardner my regards, and advise him that his attempts to engage you two flunkeys in Corporate Espionage will become public knowledge by the time you assholes are able to call him,” Justin says before turning to me. “Mel, tell them what they need to know please.”


I smile in the face of his calmness. I know he’s fucked off, but he’s not giving them the satisfaction of showing them just how much. I’m so proud of him. And from the looks going around the table, so are Dale, Ted, and Cynthia. Daphne is not even trying to hide how pissed off she is, while Hunter is just sitting there with a look of anticipation on his face. 


What’s that about?  


I clear my throat and begin my spiel. “Just so we’re clear, and for the record, it’s also documented that you signed these contracts of your own free will and with no duress present. So, that stated, as Mr. Justin Taylor-KINNEY has said, your employment is now officially terminated with Kinnetik Enterprises. Although it’s a fact, you are leaving us with your health insurance paid up for the next three months, which at the end of the timeframe you will be required to pay for it yourselves, should you wish to keep it. As for any severance pay, you’re not entitled to it under the circumstances in which you are being terminated.”


“What the fuck?!” Eric yells.


“I demand MY money!” Troy yells, in response to which I just have to laugh.


“You don’t get to demand anything, Mr. Perkins. Both you, and Mr. Maloney, violated clause 25B of your contracts, which states that any and all unlawful activity negates the customary payout of severance.”


“But we haven’t done anything of the sort!” Troy yells once again. And I have to admit that I’m taking extreme, and possibly perverse, pleasure in hearing the sudden screeching tone his voice has taken on.  


“Did you or did you not share trade secrets and confidential information with the former owner of the Vanguard Agency, now officially known as Kinnetik Enterprises?


“I… we… We were merely discussing the changes going on here,” Eric tries for an excuse, but again I laugh.


“No, what you were doing was aiding him in his attempts to wrest back control of a company that is no longer his through spying and sabotage. Also, there is an addendum within the fine print of your contracts that state should you be found out, we will press charges against any and all guilty parties. So, just as we will be hearing from your attorneys, you will be hearing from the FBI, since what you both engaged in is considered a federal crime.” 


Lori and I share a look at the mention of the FBI. Thanks to the information, and history lesson she and Charles gave me a little while ago, it wasn’t hard to tie this altogether, especially in the matter of Troy Perkins’ involvement. It’s become more than evident that he had some key information long since that could have stopped the entire situation with the Hobbs family. Not only because of his attempted rape of Christian, but because he was a witness to many of the meetings his father had with both Taylor and Hobbs to cover up their own misdeeds. He’s going to have an awful lot of explaining to do, all the way across the board. And if he thinks that Gardner Vance or Eric Maloney will be able to help him, he’s a damn fool since the older asshole of the two is going to have his own brand of trouble to deal with.


I clear my throat again, before turning my attention back to the young men who are still sputtering their faux indignity at the situation. “However, Brian, Justin and their assistants aren’t completely heartless to your individual and collective plight. Since they believe in fairness, they were kind enough to put together a packet for you to provide to your attorney, along with a little parting gift just for you within those envelopes in front of you, gentlemen.”


Both open the packets and pull out its contents. Inside is a copy of the contract they signed, a booklet with the code of conduct, the official email with Brian and Justin’s expressed instructions about what was to be done on the Torso account, pictures of those accursed boards, and... 


“What the fuck is this shit?! I don’t have a fucking need for a family sized tube of fucking Preparation H!”


Brian and Justin laugh, as do the rest of us, including the three whose jobs were saved today. But it’s Hunter who speaks, gasping with his own laughter. “You will!”


“NO! I WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS! This is FUCKING BULLSHIT!” Troy yells as he advances toward the head of the table. “I OUGHT TO HAVE KILLED YOU MYSELF, YOU FUCKING PUNK, INSTEAD OF LETTING THEM CALL HOBBS IN! BRIAN, I...”


And, those would be the last words he yells or utters for awhile. Hunter was a little too late to catch up to Daphne, who delivered a clothesline worthy of any WWE wrestling ring. He hit the back of his head on the table, but she wasn’t done wreaking havoc. Eric Maloney thought he was going to be able to sneakily attack Brian, while everyone else was distracted by Troy’s sudden silence. But now the schmuck is currently laying out on the conference room table from the two-punch combo and uppercut she delivered in quick succession.


As calm as a cucumber, she turns to me, while straightening her suit jacket and patting down her hair. “Mel, if there is any civil litigation due to my actions, will you represent me?”

 

I can’t help but laugh and shake my head. If I couldn’t figure out just how and why Justin and Daphne had been best friends for so long, I couldn’t possibly doubt it now. Mini-Rage and the straight incarnation of DynoDyke indeed!