- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

 

PRECINCT BLUES: CHAPTER 12: A MANIFESTATION OF THE GLORY


CARL:


I can admit that I’m a little nervous to watch these tapes. The truth is it’s because of Deb Novotny- or should I call her Grassi. The more I’ve discovered about Michael the more I’ve uncovered about Debra Jane Grassi. To say it doesn’t sit well with me is an understatement. Don’t get me wrong: I understand what it’s like to want to do anything for one’s children; it’s an unspoken rule in the TRUE parents’ handbook. 


But to go to the lengths she’s gone… Well, that’s something different altogether. To steal a dead hero’s identity and have it carelessly and unashamedly defiled in order to cover up her own youthful folly in favor of her spoiled man-child is just unacceptable to me. Then to have received a check as a survivor’s benefit- and CASHED IT- knowing that the man was in no way the father of that little pissant she birthed just makes me wonder what else she’s lied about. What other shit is she covering up behind that innocent facade?


“Are we just about ready, Detective?” Daris asks me. 


“Yes, but…” 


He smiles at me sadly. I can tell he knows exactly where my own mind has gone; the questions I’m standing here asking myself to no end. His next words confirm his knowledge in a way that nothing else could. “None of us could’ve seen the lengths she had gone, Carl. And that goes especially for those closest to her, including her own brother. So if Vic didn’t even know, how could you have expected to upon this short of an acquaintance?”


“That was the last thing I expected to turn up when checking into the Novotny history.”


“Why would you have thought you’d find out she was a thief when all evidence and public knowledge has pointed in the opposite direction? It doesn’t matter that she paid it back…”


“Was forcibly MADE to pay the pension back,” I interject. “I shudder to think what would have happened should she have gotten away with accepting that money under false pretenses. The only reason she was even given the money in the first place was that the Army was trying to close ranks so that beyond receiving the standard benefits, Veterans wouldn’t be able to sue them for more since they deliberately put those soldiers in harm’s way. It’s one thing to put your life on the line for love of freedom and democracy, but to basically become the guinea pigs of your own government…”


“I know. It’s a part of politics that has always bothered me, but like it or not, it’s beyond our jurisdiction at this level. The important thing is that Deb Grassi was made to pay the restitution back so the government could give it to Sgt. Novotny’s rightful heirs. In exchange for her doing it quietly, she was allowed to keep the lie going for the sake of her young son. If that didn’t show what type of person Debbie was long ago, I don’t believe anything could have driven the point home any clearer. But then, it was covered up with lies of omission on both her part and theirs, so what else was everyone supposed to believe of her Mother of the Year persona.”


I know he’s speaking the truth of the matter, but it still bothers me to no end. I suppose it’s because somewhere deep down within myself, I feel like an old fool. I actually thought she was someone I could get to know, until all of this began to come out. And now the more I find out about her offspring, the more I realize that he had to learn that behavior from someone. If I had my way, Deb would be inhabiting a cell of her own for long-term child abuse. 


“They should be along soon, Carl,” Daris informs me. “I know you need to get your part in this case closed as soon as possible; probably even more than Brian and Justin need you to.”


“I thought we were going to watch the rest of the tape, and supervise the collection of the other evidence from inside of the conference room at the precinct.”


“We were, but… Well, I received an interesting call this morning from Justin. Both he and Brian decided to have this all done and over with on site. As you can imagine, they don’t trust the police to do their jobs- us notwithstanding. But you have to admit that after Davies’ behavior towards the two men yesterday, his caution is more than a little warranted.”


Our conversation is halted by the sound of one of the most powerful engines of American muscle vrooming towards us, and then the sudden screech of tires. But what really caught our attention was the blasting sound of a power ballad I haven’t heard in many years. I smile with surprise at seeing who alighted from the driver’s seat of the Dodge Challenger, just after the chorus of the song finishes playing. We watch as the blond’s lithe and efficient movements take him over to the passenger seat, where his companion is rolling up his own window and pocketing his phone from the dashboard. I shake my head with a smile. 


I still haven’t quite figured out how to patch my phone into the car’s stereo system. I’ll have to ask them how to do that since I trust them not to make fun of me. If it’s not an eight-track, or a VCR, I don’t bother! I chuckle mentally thinking of how long it actually took me to learn how to use the different programs on the computer I use at the precinct all the time. But looking back to Brian and Justin, I can immediately tell something has irrevocably changed between them from the last time we saw either of them until this very moment. 


There’s a new confidence within each of them, and its power is shimmering all around them.


As he opens the door and extends his hand toward the other man, Davies comes upon Daris and I, watching avidly as Brian and Justin kiss with so much passion it’s palpable. Davies says, in barely concealed disgust, “Well, there’s something you don’t see everyday.”

 

“What do you mean?” I ask, genuinely puzzled by his comment. Turning to him, it isn’t hard to discern his jealousy.


“The little woman helping his man from the car…”


My eyes narrow as I’m about to respond to his sarcastic rejoinder, but Justin’s smile against Brian’s lips stops me. It’s more than evident that he’s heard the bullshit the little fucker said, by the subtle tensing of his shoulders. Obviously, Brian’s also noticed it too, which only serves to make him plaster Justin to him; air couldn’t get between them at this point, even as the kiss deepens briefly before Brian relaxes his hold again. Justin’s smile as he detaches himself from Brian’s lips is genuine towards the man, and yet there is still a slight edge to it. Brian just nods his head in response to whatever it is that Justin silently asked him. 


Again, I smile while watching the two of them as they turn towards us to begin the short trek up the walkway. If I know Brian, with just a look, he’s made Justin promise not to go all mini-Rage on the arrogant idiot still looking in their direction. Stopping in front of the three of us, Brian holds onto Justin’s left hand incrementally tighter, while caressing the stunning ring gracing the younger man’s finger. At first, I’m not sure that Justin is going to address Davies, since he’s just standing there, sizing the man up. But as he briefly wets his lips- no doubt still savoring the taste of his husband- Justin narrows his eyes.


“Good morning, Gentlemen… and Officer Davies. It appears I already have one misguided notion to disabuse so early on in the day.”


Davies smirks before saying. “I don’t see how anyone here could possibly be misguided. You’re…”


“More man than you could possibly know or be,” Justin said, smiling. The fact that the gesture doesn’t reach his eyes is enough to give both Daris and I pause, since we know Justin is the type to strike out quicker than any rattlesnake, both with words and a left hook to rival the most seasoned boxer. “You should really check that attitude, Officer Davies. The bottom line is that you’re just a bully boy with a badge, but still a coward where it counts most.”


Davies stepped forward, but Brandon’s timely arrival stopped the progress. Davies cleared his throat at seeing the taller blond flank Justin’s other side, while Brian moved just a little closer. Under any other circumstances, Davies probably should have taken note in the way the two men are standing, since they aren’t exactly regarding him warily. Their full focus is on the little volatile blond in the middle of them. But no, Davies just has to impart his wisdom for all to hear.


“You’re all big talk when there’s backup, huh, Justin?”


A sharp intake of breath sounds from my left, and I can feel Daris vibrating in anger beside me. This idiot really has no idea he just signed his own unemployment slip… Well, at least for this case so far. Daris already has his phone in his hand, and is scrolling through his address book rapidly. Holding the phone up to his ear, he asks without preamble, “What’s your ETA?” 


The person on the phone answered, “Five minutes.”


Daris said only three words in response, “Make it faster,” before disconnecting the call.


I looked at him questioningly, but he shook his head. We both tune back into the confrontation in time to hear Justin say, “Yeah, you’re a coward, Davies. There’s no question about it, because while you’re standing there cloaked in your faux notion of being a homophobe, I’ve seen the lascivious looks you’ve been casting in MY HUSBAND’S direction. But let me advise that you wouldn’t stand a chance, even if Brian was so inclined to give your idiotic ass a second thought. You’ll NEVER know the glory of being fucked by him; of being the beloved of Brian TAYLOR-Kinney, because you see, my husband likes men, REAL MEN, not those who are so afraid of their own shadow they are willing to pretend to be a homophobe just to supposedly fit in. It’s such a shame for you really.”


“What the fuck are you going on about?” Davies spits menacingly in his direction, but Justin is clearly unfazed by the venom.


“Just that I was bashed by a supposed homophobe, with a small dick, who was so clearly lying to himself especially after he let me- an OUT and PROUD GAY MAN- jerk him off. And I survived against all odds to have my heart’s true desire in every way imaginable. But you have a cock that could rival half the men here, my husband and Brandon notwithstanding, yet you’ll never use it correctly. Even cloistered in your heteroville-induced exile because you’re too piss-in-your-pants afraid to admit you like dick, no self-respecting woman would let you near them. Do you want to know why? Because women also DO NOT LIKE spineless saps with no conviction to be honest in who and what they are. And let me tell you, Sir…” Justin takes a deep whiff of the air around him, before confirming, “You reek mightily of cowardice.”


“You’re so full of shit!” Davies yells, practically frothing at the mouth. He makes another move to step towards Justin, but is surprised when Brandon shifts to his right slightly, allowing Justin to take a menacing forward step of his own.


Justin smiles evilly, never removing his eyes from Davies. He spoke softly to him, but it was loud enough to send a chill through every one of us witnessing this contretemps. “There’s nothing but space and opportunity between us now, Davies. So what’s it going to be? Do you continue believing that your size and badge will act as a shield from being knocked flat on your ass? Or do you step the fuck back and save your face? The choice is yours.”


“I could have you arrested for threatening a police officer…”


“You could, but you won’t, since there are several witnesses that can testify that you’ve been attempting to engage in intimidating behavior since yesterday. You’re just angry because you’re learning a very hard lesson publicly.”

 

“Which is?”


“That I don’t intimidate easily. Don’t make the same mistake as a few others, who knew me far better than you do, have learned the hard way,” Justin warned.


“No wonder you were bashed. That mouth of yours never knows when to shut the fuck up; whomever did it deserves a medal!”


Before Justin had a chance to react, both Brian and Brandon closed ranks around him, even as a new and unexpected voice entered the conversation. “That’s enough, Officer Davies! You’re through here!”


I hadn’t had the pleasure of meeting Judge Annabelle Linton-Masters, but to say she’s just as imposing as her son, is an understatement. It isn’t difficult to see where Daris gets his presence from. In her company is a man I’m also surprised to see. Judge Harold Stone is another man who is quite intimidating until you get to know him. Ordinarily, one would think it’s a judge thing, but I’ve had dealings with quite a few over my career who couldn’t stop traffic if given a badge and gun to do so. 


But these two… Well, when Daris mentioned calling his contacts before agreeing to get the Interstate warrant to search this place, I could never have imagined that he meant these two powerhouses within the Pennsylvania Justice System. And now, Judge Linton-Masters is known as one of the toughest judges in this District, as well as the entire country. I wonder if, after this case, Daris is going to follow her and become a judge himself. If I were to give my opinion, he most certainly should!


“You can’t do that, Judge Masters! This is far beyond your reach!” Davies just can’t shut his fucking mouth. 


“I can, will, and as soon as I make a call to your superior, it will be DONE,” she retorts calmly, even though her eyes are blazing at him angrily.


Davies scoffs and smirks, shaking his head rapidly. “I doubt it.”


“I don’t,” she says in mock-innocence. 


“And just what makes you so sure?”


“Because I fuck that man WELL, and in ways you cannot imagine, young man.”


“Paul?” Daris asks, in bewilderment.


“None other, DA Linton,” she says, a touch smugly. “Did I forget to mention that he’s the right hand man of the Mayor, who just happens to keep him abreast of all the dealings within law enforcement? So no, I don’t have to call Davies’ captain when I can just simply tell my husband, who will in turn tell the Mayor, who will be all too happy to call Captain Steven Harelson to tell him exactly what his newest CSI Detective has really been up to on this particular case. I’ll either have you fired or busted back down to the role of Traffic Cop in a matter of hours. Now get off this crime scene, Youngen!”


Davies had gone from red to ashen gray in a matter of minutes as she spoke of her plans, which made Daris’ warning from yesterday seem like a gift. It was one thing for a disciplinary action to remain in-house, within a police department, but once the Mayor’s office got involved, there wasn’t any way to cover up misdeeds, and a loss of employment was almost guaranteed. Davies obviously knew that, which is why, with only a malevolent glance in Justin’s direction, he slinked over to the police cruiser he’d arrived in this morning and drove off. She hmmphed before reaching for her cellphone from the holster on her hip. 


“Mom, what are you doing?” Daris whispered to her.


“Calling Captain Harelson to make sure he benches the over-wrought CSI rookie until he can make better decisions. Personally, I would rather stand him in a corner after whipping his little closeted ass, but well, protocol and all that,” she says matter-of-factly as she continues to dial.


“I guess we weren’t the only ones to notice that,” Brian said, bringing Justin’s back to his chest and soothing his man’s ruffled feathers.


“It was obvious once you knew what to look for,” Brandon confirms, before turning to Daris and raising his eyebrow. “Mom, huh?”


Daris smiles widely, still watching his mother talk animatedly on the phone to who we all assume is Captain Harelson. “Yeah. Magnificent, isn’t she?”


Judge Stone laughs, before replying, “She always has been, Youngins. You all just have no idea. It’s why your dad, and now Paul, has such a time with her. There’s never a dull moment when Belle gets a bee in her bonnet, trust me.”


“Just how long have you two known each other?” Justin asks, and I can’t help but be curious as well. 


I didn’t miss him holding onto the ‘Oh Shit’ bar as she brought the car to a stop directly behind Brian and Justin’s Challenger. Ironic that she has the same obvious affinity that Brian and Justin have for American muscle cars, since I know for a fact that she drove the Ford Mustang- which comes standard stick- like she was one of the Andrettis or Earnhardts. It sure explains a whole lot about the way Daris drives. 


“I’ve known Belle and Chucky, Daris’ dad, since grade school. We even attended college together, which is another reason why Daris thought it was a good idea to bring us in to assist with the investigation.”


“I’m not following,” Brian says, and I have to agree with him there.


“I worked as a CSI tech while putting myself through law school, while Belle was a law and evidence clerk during the same time. Chucky was a Morgue Assistant. For the duration of law school, we would spend Friday nights discussing the cases we came across, and watching crime shows as well. So, with our knowledge, and the resources available with Alex and his colleague from the B.A.U. here, we’ll be able to assist in uncovering the true motive of Michael Novotny.”


“It’s a thin line between love and hate,” Daris states, even as his mother comes back to join the conversation.


“That’s right, Daris. It is, and I’m willing to bet you that Michael Novotny tried to use love as his reasoning for this elaborate plan. You said that there are videos?”


Daris nods in confirmation. “There are, but…”


“We’ll be alright, Daris,” Justin reassures him. “Brian and I wouldn’t have agreed to meet you here at the house if we had decided we weren’t going to be.”


His use of the word ‘WE’ is not lost on any of us. And that’s when I notice just where that new confidence with them is stemming from. Whatever conversation, or decision they made privately last night, has become such a driving force in their coupledom, that it seems like a third member. I stand there recalling the words to the chorus of the song that was playing when Justin was parking the car. “Glory,” I whisper.


Brian and Justin smile wide, even as Daris looks at me questioningly. “What was that, Carl?”


I look at Brian and Justin more fully then, seeing the peace within their eyes shining back at me. So I say it again, louder this time. “Glory. You two…”


“Yes, we did,” Brian says, with happiness and conviction.


“What? What did they do?” Belle asks, and it’s upon a closer look at the two men she sees what I’m seeing. “I know I’ve never met you two, and yet you seem… different from the way Stone and Daris described you two to me.”


“We are different,” Justin says. “And yes, Carl, you’re right. We decided that there isn’t going to be any more running.”


“Wait just a minute!” Brandon exclaims, as he looks at them closely as well. After a few moments, he smiles in a way that’s rivaling Justin. “You’ve finally closed and locked the fucking door, didn’t you?!”


“What the hell?!” Daris says, but Stone shushes him, most interested in the answer. I can’t help but wonder why there is talk of a door.


“That bitch is welded shut, Bran, and NO ONE is breaking in,” Brian says, seriously. As I rethink over those lyrics again, Brian smiles and nods. “It’s why the bullshit Davies was spouting didn’t have the effect he wanted. Justin knows exactly who and what he is to me.”


“Congratulations, and might I say, it’s about fucking time!” Stone announces, while Brian, Justin, and Brandon laugh. 


“It most certainly is!” Justin says back. “I worked my ass off to get him to see what we could be, but it was Brian who made the decision to pursue the idea.” It’s then that I know exactly why that statement is so profound to Brandon and Stone. 


“So the Stud of Liberty Avenue and the King of Babylon are OFFICIALLY off the eternal meat market,” I say, putting it all into perspective for Daris and Belle. Daris’ eyes light up as it finally dawns on him just why that song was playing.


“‘The Glory of Love’. Oh shit! That’s the song you guys chose for your wedding song, isn’t it?”


Both Brian and Justin blush as Alex comes up. Brian turns Justin to face him, before answering simply, “Yes. I couldn’t think of a better one to describe where we are right now.”


Belle smiles, but I’m shocked to see the slightest hint of tears in both hers and Stone’s eyes. Daris is similarly affected, but he’s covering it well. She reaches out to touch both mens’ shoulders, before leaning in to kiss their cheeks. “If that’s the song you chose, then I know you’ll both be happy for a very long time. It was the song Chucky picked for us so many years ago, and had he not… Well, just know that if he had lived, we still would have been dancing to it thirty-three years later and would have happily done so for the rest of our lives. Knowing your stories- both individually and collectively- I have to say, that song embodies all I am still learning about you as a couple. Let’s get this mess done, so you two can have a good, right honeymoon. I can’t think of two people who deserve it more.”

 

And with that, we went into the house to conference in Melanie, Janean, Dale, Ted, and Joanne to further analyze the motives of Michael Grassi aka Michael Novotny.