- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 85: HINDSIGHT IS 20/20 FOR A REASON


JUSTIN


As we exited the House of Horrors, Brian pulls the car into the parking lot of the nearest coffee shop. He’s been quiet ever since we heard yet another of Michael’s confessions. Honestly, I didn’t expect him to rant while we were in front of everyone, in case what would come out of his mouth could be considered incriminating in any way. But a pensive Brian is usually NOT a good thing. While getting out, I can’t help but ask him, “What are you thinking?”


“About two nights ago.”


He knows he doesn’t need to explain what that night entailed since I was there… Well, sort of. “What about it? We’ve moved on from it.”


“Emotionally we have, but…” He bites his bottom lip, and narrows his eyes as if he’s thinking hard about something. So I’m surprised when he says, “I should have let that guy take you to the backroom.”


WHAT?!?! I swallow hard, realizing that I have to hear him out, while trying to follow his train of thought. I’ve already been uneasy since seeing that clip of Lorenzo and Spahn drugging and fucking a guy who definitely could have been my twin, even more than Jason Kemp was. It’s been a constant exercise in restraint NOT to think of what could have happened to me. And yet Brian says he should have let me get led back there?


“Okay… why?” I ask, trying to keep my mind open when all my insides are trying to cave in upon themselves. Brian must have noticed because he pulled me in closer to him, as if trying to give me comfort while sheltering me from my own overactive imagination.


“I didn’t mean it like that, Sunshine. You have to know that. But out of all the clubs and backrooms I’ve ever been in over the years, Lorenzo’s wasn’t one of them. I was right not to trust the fucker, but now my curiosity has peaked for reasons that have nothing to do with getting laid. Instead, I’m confused about the scenery when they were taking Justin-lite. Knowing Lorenzo’s penchant for flash and gaudiness, I can’t imagine that they did it behind the closed doors of his office and home. No, wherever they were, it looked almost like Sapperstein’s at Babylon…”


“Which was like having the lights in the Backroom turned on,” I add, finally catching onto where his mind went. The only distinguishable difference between the Backroom of Babylon and Gary’s office was the lack of cum stains on the wall and floor; Gary’s office was carpeted. “So you think they used the backroom at Lorenzo’s club?”


Brian shrugs before answering. “Yeah, I do. He was ultra keen on getting you back there, saying something about a video on loop. One of the screens in the vestibule was showing live action porn, which was no surprise, but predictable in the same way Babylon was. But the others… Well, one was showing the occupants on the dancefloor, while the other was flashing between the dancefloor and the action of the backroom. It puts him saying that he wanted you to become the main attraction in a completely different light.”


“He said that? He actually said that?”


Brian nods at me, before moving us towards the building.  Entering the building, we find a table quickly to continue our conversation, before we lose the track our collective thoughts have led us on. Brian begins again. “The thing that’s bothering me the most right now is just when that video was made, and how Michael got his mitts on it. There isn’t a doubt in my mind that this whole nefarious plan has been in the works for some time now. But...”


“But?”


“Well it seems that it’s been in the making a lot longer than we thought. And if that’s the case, then I’m thinking that Michael must have known that our separation was temporary even before we both realized it. Which means…”


“He was planning for all of this to go down while I was still with Ethan.” And saying it aloud makes so much sense, but I can’t help but wonder, “What stopped him? I mean, the timing would have been perfect. So what put the kibosh in his plans?”


“It wasn’t solely us finding our way back to each other, even though there is that factor as well.” I can see him mentally reflecting back to that time in our lives, and I think he and I hit upon it at the same time. “Hunter!”


“Michael is nothing else if not territorial, so Hunter’s advent would have definitely interfered with his plans because God forbid Ben- his meal ticket until he could spirit you away undetected- would have his attention focused anywhere else rather than on Michael. That fucking ingrate.”


“And considering that Ben started questioning where Michael was coming up with all the money he was supposed to be giving to you for your part in Rage…”


“Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.”


“Exactly! He would have needed to watch Ben, while making sure he still remained in the dark about everything that was going on regarding me and you. But Ben’s foray into becoming Roid Mary would have bought into his plans as well.”


“You think he was setting up Ben instead of Lindsay?” Brian asks me, and I nod.


“And Deb, too; let’s not forget his plans for her as well. Lindsay and Deb would have been Michael’s ideal, but Ben would have been the easier target to set up for your murder. Because continued steroid usage not only causes physical changes, but it also affects rational thought, Michael would have made sure to fire up the two emotions hardest to hide: jealousy and anger. Remember the night we were all at Babylon, and Michael tried to include you in Ben’s plans to romance him?”


“I do remember that. It was the same night as I ended up with the mark on my shoulder blade because of words we exchanged at the gym when I called him on buying the drugs out in the open like that. I knew then that he wasn’t thinking clearly, and was fast on the road to addiction.”


“And Michael must have known it, too. That turd set up the entire episode, where you would have come to his defense. Because Ben is so much larger than Michael, it would have seemed that Michael was basically helpless compared to him. So yes, you would have automatically stepped in not only because it was Michael- the way he would have loved to believe- but because that’s just who you are. It would have taken you back to the days where Joan and Jack were constantly getting into it; the days before you became Jack’s target of choice. Knowing your history the way he does, he knew you couldn’t help but be affected by the visual of a yelling Ben standing over him while he pretended to cower against the bar made. Even knowing deep down that Ben wouldn’t have gone so far as to physically hurt Michael that way, you still would’ve done your best to diffuse the situation.”


Instead of responding to what I said, Brian pulls out his cellphone. I decide to go on and place our orders, but smile when I realize just who Brian dialed. “Hey Trey, it’s Brian. I need you to locate someone for me. He looks almost the spitting image of Sunshine...”


By the time I reach the table, Brian is making another call. Apparently, Trey gave a name. “Hey, Carl. Listen, I need you to do whatever it is you guys do when it comes to finding someone... Right, an APB. Now, don’t ask questions about how I know this, but I need you to find a guy by the name of Tommy Duverglass. He was the guy in the video, who looked like the spitting image of Sunshine. Find him, and we think you’ll fill in some very important blanks. The first place you should check is…” And I automatically know why Brian looks right at me when he says, “The Pep-N-Pant Escort Agency. Ask for Nate Rochester; he’s the proprietor... Yes, I’m sure that’s the name. It’s where I found Troy Perkins before I knew his real name. Their taste caters to very specific clientele with certain proclivities... No, I’m not telling you that, but… trust me, just check there first.”


He disconnects the call, before looking at me again. And although I’m still pissed that of all the men he could have chosen from the site, he chose Troy Perkins, I understand why he did. “Stop worrying about it, Brian.”


“I didn’t realize where I’d seen him before, before Trey gave me his name. I should have chosen him instead of the asshole I did, but… I needed someone with just enough difference from you so that I could pretend it was you when I closed my eyes, but know beyond doubt that it wasn’t. Does that make sense?”


“Yeah, it does,” I answer him, quietly before saying, “But it doesn’t matter now because you’re not going to be without me again for a long, long time.”


He releases the breath he was holding, before he extends his hand which I take into mine readily. “Well, thank goodness for that.”


Yeah. This is the man I’m going to grow old with, and God help ANYONE who dares to think to believe differently. 



BRIGHT


“So you guys heard everything. How do you think we should proceed?” Melanie asks.


A group of us had assembled to hear the confessions of that deranged lunatic. Personally, I feel like forgoing my working vacation just to go back inside the prison to kick his ass again. I turn to my partner, who I can tell feels the exact same way. After being filled in on yesterday’s video since Marc and I couldn’t get away until this morning, I feel unbelievably disgusted. I thought I’d seen the worst of humanity in my profession, but hearing those fucking rules and the extent that Novotny was willing to go to have his way... 


“Well Bennett, this is your case. I’m following your lead on this part, since you’re the one that has to give testimony on it.”


DeMarcus narrows his eyes in thought, and I instinctively know he’s picking the thoughts right out of my head. “The first thing we need to do is head over to the Federal building. You need to speak to Hobbs,Sr. and Craig Taylor.”


“Why can’t you take Taylor?”


“You know why.”


I look at him closely, and watch as all the emotions come rushing back in regards to Christian’s ordeal at their hands. I just simply nod my head in response, knowing that he’s getting the silent message I’ve sent. “Right, so that’s me. Does that mean you’re going to deal with Sap and…”


“Gardner Vance. He needs to come clean about what was really in it for him regarding the tapes of Justin, should they have been able to be made.”


“You don’t think it was simply to blackmail Brian?” Melanie asks.


DeMarcus shakes his head. “No. There has to be more to it than simply trying to bend Brian Kinney to his will by using his lover. I’m learning that nothing is ever wholeheartedly on the surface with these people. But prior to those meetings, if possible Bub… I mean Agent Bright and I need to see the other interviews, specifically the ones with Taylor, Freeman, and Claire Townsend. I’m thinking that there is another layer of this crap we’re missing in the Novotny case.”


“In that case, you might also want to look at any tapes regarding Lindsay Peterson, and James Stockwell, too.” Jennifer Taylor interjected. 


I’m surprised she’s been allowed in here to view the tapes, considering she’s Justin’s mother. But apparently, she and her brother, who is also present, have a much higher stake in seeing justice served. And also a lot more insight to the inner workings of those being charged who are of the Elite circle. I’ll have to dig into that particular history a little more, before I can get any answers about it. Also why is Lori Kennedy here?


Being out of the immediate hive of the WASP nest sure seems to be a disadvantage right now.


“Lindsay has always been an expert at telling the truth, while trying to absolve herself of blame. She’ll rat everyone else out, even if she says nothing about herself in the process. So you should be able to glean her part in all this from the others you speak with,” Jennifer adds, and Melanie nods. I know that until the very recent past, she was involved with the woman in question for almost eleven years. 


At my puzzled expression, Lori tells me knowingly, “Look deeper, Henry, and you’ll see the reason why.” 


Even without knowing Lindsay Peterson personally, I just can’t see why someone so obviously intelligent would get mixed up with the likes of her. I’ve always steered clear of her, primarily because my parents always made sure that I did. But maybe DeMarcus knows more about it than I do. His family was higher up before he moved away.


Charles smiles at both of us knowingly then. “That means you both will also be talking to Christian Hobbs and Benjamin Bruckner, I take it?”


“Ben and Christian? Why?” Melanie asks, while the other occupants look to me and DeMarcus for confirmation.


Charles smiles, as Jennifer chuckles beside him. She answers the question on both of our behalfs. “Melanie, I would like to introduce you to Agent Henry Bright, and Agent DeMarcus Bennett of the FBI. But more importantly, they are also known as the TWO who got away, which resulted in one of them being involved with the rat-turd otherwise known as Michael Novotny, while the other has basically hidden himself away until recently.”


“So you boys do your jobs, but before you have to go back undercover for a time, start the ball rolling to reclaim what should have been yours in the first place,” Charles ordered.  


DeMarcus flicked his mid back-length dreadlocks over his shoulder, when a few of them fell over the sleeve of his suit jacket. I will NEVER know how the makeup artists we use through the agency manage to hide them so well under the skull cap he dons when we’re in the joint, or how they keep them so neat and clean. My own hair is back to being red for the time being, and God does it feel good to have that fucking wig off. We both look like we’re doing security detail for a mob boss or something. But DeMarcus also looks like he just stepped off the pages of GQ as opposed to working undercover for the last several months. 


I’ve always envied him for that… the pain in the ass! Shit, I look like I haven't seen the sun in YEARS!


“They have to be open to the idea,” he tells Charles on both of our behalfs.


“I have a feeling that you’re going to be pleasantly surprised in both areas, guys,” Jennifer advises. 


“At least offer your friendship, then see where it goes from there,” Lori seconds. “In the meantime, I actually think you both should visit Craig.”


“Why? I can’t...” Marc asks.


Charles smiles. “Yes, you can. First, and foremost you are Agent DeMarcus Dewayne Bennett of the FBI, formerly known in football circles as Double D. Even then you had the singular focus of a rhinoceros when you had something or someone in your sights. So if anyone has the ability to put his personal feelings to the side for the greater good, it’s you. That’s just who you are; who you’ve ALWAYS been. You can’t let them- ANY OF THEM- believe that you don’t have any self-control when it comes to Christian. They will exploit both him and YOU if you slip up, which is something you already know since you understand the caliber of people you’re dealing with. And the young man I remember would rather die or kill before he ever willingly let that happen. 


“Secondly, I think Craig’s ready to crack after my visit with him the other day, which means he’ll be ready to turn over not only State’s evidence but also assist with the Federal cases most of all. I think all he’ll really ask in return is a more secure location, after all he’s in a pit of fucking crocodiles within the Federal big house. It can’t be comfortable for him knowing that the former Chief of Police, the senior Hobbs, and Gary Sapperstein along with a bunch of other officials who were rounded up during the raid of the Sap’s house are there in the same place that he is.”


“Third, he has certain tells that one of you need to watch for as he tells his story; you’ll know those when and if they make their appearance,” Jennifer interjects. “The fact that he was fucking Lindsay since she was a teenager should be a valuable bargaining chip to get the whole truth out of him.”


“He was… that’s just fucking SICK! He should be locked under the fucking jail for that!” I exclaim. I may not have been directly involved with Lindsay Peterson, but I know that she and I are only a year or two apart in age- with me being older. I think back to the first time I even heard her name mentioned as an easy lay among the high school guys... and oh my God! That means Craig would have had to been fucking her since she was at least fifteen years old, if not younger. “What a disgusting prick!”


“I agree! But if it eases your mind any, I do believe that Daris Linton is definitely going to charge him with Statutory Rape… or at least, that’s the plan if it’s still within the scope of the Statute of Limitations. If it isn’t… Well, I think he may have something else in mind since a lot of what Claire Kinney and Lindsay Peterson were able to do in reference to Brian was because Craig was funding it using Justin’s inheritance.


Lori jumps in again then. “You two need to sit down and let us all fill in the blanks of what you’ve missed within the Nest while you were away.” 

 

And for the next hour, Lori, Jennifer, and Charles fill us in, which helps in more ways than they can possibly imagine. Because what they tell us almost matches word for word what was written in Hobbs’ and Novotny’s confessions, along with filling in some very specific blanks for us about the extra players in this elaborate game Novotny and Peterson concocted. And yeah… they couldn't possibly be more FUCKED!