- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

Disclaimer: we own nothing, no copyright infringement is intended whatsoever.

CHAPTER 1 - THE SIREN CALL


BRIAN KINNEY’S LOFT - EARLY DAWN


BEDROOM


BRIAN


Why the fuck can’t I sleep?! Okay, so they weren’t the greatest fucks in the world, but it should’ve been enough to knock me out. But here I am, wide awake. It feels so stuffy in here, so I get up and open the window and bask as the cool air wraps around my body. It doesn’t chill me, it just hugs me in its embrace.


“Might as well do some work.” I grumble, and head to my desk but then stop and head back to the widow to open it wider. It is very faint, but it hits me like a thunderbolt.


I don’t know why but I do.


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


BEDROOM


MICHAEL


I bite my lip as Ben thrusts into me once more. He smiles and starts to move faster, the pleasure spirals up my spine and starts to bloom all over my body. “It’s good, right?” He pants, and all I can do is nod, because if I speak I will say; yes, Brian, it is everything that I imagined!


CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY - EARLY AFTERNOON


GRADUATION HALL


CHRIS


Daph and I exchange looks and then look across at Justin who has his guitar case and is slowly edging towards the end of the row. He wants to get to his spot on Liberty Avenue and earn his crust. Why he doesn’t just take the musical internship is still a mystery to everyone, including his parents!


“And it is, I guess, your great pleasure that I declare the end of your educ…” Dicky Dixon doesn’t even get to finish his sentence before there is an enormous roar and everyone charges towards the doors. Daph and I laugh as we look to the stage and find he is the only teacher left on the stage and being ignored.


How we hate that man!


It doesn’t take us long to get to the lockers, and we just shake our heads as Justin sprints to the exit doors.


“Seriously, just why?!” A jock asks as he flies past him. “Why is that guy single?!  I mean, just look at him! If I were that way inclined, I would plough…”


“Phillips!” Dicky Dixon’s voice booms down the corridor. “We will not have any of that disgusting way of speaking about a fellow student! Neither Mr Taylor nor I appreciate that kind of talk. Besides, you wouldn’t…”


“Yes I would, Sir, I surely would!” Phillips snickers along with his friends, who like most of CMU treat Dicky Dixon like the annoyance he is, and start to walk away.


“You have as much chance as I…”


“He turned you down, Dicky, just fucking get over it!” I mutter to Daph and she nods, I slam my locker closed for the last time. “As for why Phillips...” I shout out and the corridor goes quiet, Phillips and his crew turn around but they aren’t the only ones keen to know the answer. “...he’s got a boyfriend whom he loves very much.”


“Ah, Mr Dixon!” Dean Chafton strides towards us. “A word if I may. Mr Hobbs, Miss Chanders, I take it I have missed our Maestro?”


“Yes, Dean, you have.” Daph laughs, and then puts out her hand. He drops in ten bucks with a smile. “What, no tip?”


“Yes. The tip is to accept the internship. See if you can persuade him.”


“We’ve been trying for months, he just…”


“He has a brain that would be better served…”


“Mr Dixon, you need to go to my office and remain there in silence!”


DEAN CHAFTON’S OFFICE - TEN MINUTES LATER


DEAN CHAFTON


I pull out the file that I have waited all year to open and clear my throat. James Dixon, a highly regarded Professor of Maths and Applied Science, looks down his nose at me, big mistake! While he is regarded for his teaching skills, his interpersonal ones are the ones that have been causing the most problems.


He doesn’t need to work, but he does to get away from his shrewish social climbing wife, Lindsay. I would award them medals for taking one for the team, for getting together, to save anybody else from the misery of either of their odious company, if I didn't hate them both oh so very much!


“What is this about, Dean Chafton? I have to prepare for my next…”


“University. Or, by the time I have finished telling the truth about you, maybe kindergarten.”


“Kinder…”


“You kept Justin Taylor back a year because he turned you down. He has made numerous complaints about you and your behaviour, all designed to get him alone. No A Grade, and the A refers to his grade point average and not the ass you want to get into, no A Grade student has 43 separate incidents that warrants a written reprimand on his educational record. That’s just cruel wanting to tarnish his future, and to try to make him lose the credits for the course each and every fucking time!”


“I believe in disciplining the…”


“He does not like you that way! If you could have accepted it and behaved like a teacher, it would’ve been fine, but no you behaved like a jealous ex-lover without the sex!”


“I do not like…”


“What you do or do not like is no longer my concern. You will tender your resignation immediately. If not, I will fire you. No matter which way it happens, you are no longer going to be working here!” He goes pale. “The one good thing out of all of this is that he has finally made friends. Chris Hobbs and Daphne Chanders are the best things to happen to him, you are the worst! Now, how is this going to end? With a bog standard reference or you finding work in the Boondocks as a waiter?”


TOP OF LIBERTY AVENUE - EARLY EVENING


JUSTIN


I puff the hair off my forehead as I get myself sorted. Taking a deep breath, I plug in the speaker box, open up my guitar case and clear my throat. Then I begin to sing.


I don't know why I love ya like I do

I don't know why I just do

Well I don't know why you thrill me like you do

I don't know why you, just do

You never seem to want my romancing

Ah, the only time you hold me is when we're dancing

I don't know why I love ya like I do

I don't know why I just do


I don't know why I love you like I do

I don't know why I just do

I don't know why you thrill me like you do

I don't know why you, just do

You never seem to want my romancing

Ah, the only time you hold me is when we're dancing

I don't know why I love you like I do

I don't know why I just do


I don't know why I love ya like I do

I don't know why I just do

I don't know why you thrill me like you do

I don't know why but you do

You never seem to want my romancing

Ah, the only time you hold me is when we're dancing

I don't know why I love ya like I do

I don't know why I just do


“That was beautiful. Who are you singing to?” A distinguished gent asks, and I shrug before sighing. “You know Liberty Avenue Diner?”


“Yeah.” I frown.


“Will meet you in there. I think you and I need to talk.”


LIBERTY AVENUE DINER


JUSTIN


I don’t actually know why I agreed to meet this guy here. I texted Chris and Daph to tell them where I am, and also my folks and Molly. Dad, as usual, said he will be here in thirty minutes, I smile as I read his text, in all capitals DO NOT MOVE FROM THERE! BUY YOUR OWN FOOD AND DRINK AND REMEMBER TO LEAD WITH YOUR LEFT IF I AM NOT THERE IN TIME!


“Hello. My name is Marilyn.” The gentleman sits down in front of me and my face must have shown my surprise. “Mysterious Marilyn as I am properly known, and you are?”


“Justin. Justin Taylor and…”


“Chris Hobbs and Daphne Chanders. We will be sitting in that booth right behind you, mess with him at your peril!” Chris growls and sits down.


“My peril? I haven’t been in peril for a while, but Daphne and Chris, you can be reassured that his virtue is safe. I am much too old and value my life too much to even countenance a filthy thought about him.”


“What’s that supposed to mean?” Daph seethes.


“Exactly what I said. Now, why don’t you two sit down and share a milkshake and then kiss while I speak to this fine specimen here?” My mouth drops open as Chris and Daph go bright red and step apart from each other. “Debs, can we have a strawberry choc milkshake and two straws please?!”


“Sure!” A redheaded waitress calls out as she busses a table.


“Ten minutes.” Marilyn tells her, and I look puzzled. “He’s at the corner of Barkers and Liberty and waiting for his best friend.”


“Still don’t get it!” She laughs and starts to set up a booth at the back.


“Marilyn…”


“Wait and see.” He smiles and sits back. “Oh yes, you are going to cause him a whole host of delicious problems, and...hello Emmett.” I look around to see who he is talking to, but can see nobody and then up from the floor comes a flamboyantly dressed man grinning and chuckling.


“One day I am going to sneak up on you!” He slides into the seat next to Marilyn and I am beginning to feel that this diner is inhabited by lunatics!


“Well thanks for...uh whatever this was, and…”


“It’s him, isn’t it?” Emmett looks me up and down while Marilyn nods.


“Look, can you…” I begin.


“What time do you call this, you reprobate asshole?!” Debs calls out from the hatch.


“Don’t blame me! He had to go back, he forgot it!” A muscular man calls out as he saunters to the hatch and kisses her cheek.


“Where is that son of mine?”


“Helping.” He grimaces a little before smiling again.


“Ben…”


“Debs, not now. I know and you know, but he won’t and you know that.”


“But, it is still so…”


“You could’ve waited!” A nasally whine pierces the air and a dark haired furious looking man comes in, stomping up to the back booth.


“Why would he do that?” Debs snaps at him. “Nobody wants to see their boyfriend lusting after his best friend!”


“What is that supposed to mean?”


“You know damn well what it means. Stop shitting where you eat, and eat your damn meal!”


“I am going to the bathroom! You know what I want, Ben!”


“Well, Marilyn and uh Emmett, I am....” I stand up and nod at Chris and Daph. “...going to go now. It was odd to meet you, and…”


“He’ll be here just a few more minutes. Please.” Marilyn beseeches me and I slowly sit back down.


“Five minutes. That’s all. I have just got out of uni and want to celebrate with…”


BRIAN


As I walk down to the diner, I start to hum, I have had this fucking tune in my head for the last few days and it is driving me insane! I have tried every search engine I know to get the name of the song, but I don’t have the words, just the melody!


“Ah, asshole number two!” Debs booms, and immediately I look at Ben, who mouths apologies and I just shake my head. “Your explanation!”


“I have none. I forgot I had to go to the pharmacy to replenish my script, and...oh for fuck sake!” I pinch the bridge of my nose and grumble as again the melody invades my brain.


“Honey, you okay?!” Debs is immediately over and looks at me carefully.


“I’m fine, just got an earworm.” I smile at her and prise her fingers off my chin.


“What does that even mean?” Debs starts to head to the back. “I won’t be long, just getting my coat!”


“Debs, calm down!” Ben laughs. “An earworm is a tune that you keep hearing in your head, you can’t shake it. The only way to get rid of it is to listen to it or sing it until you get sick of it.”


“Still going to get my coat and get him home!” She calls out.


“Okay, I have had enough, this is weird, and we are leaving!” A soft but angry voice gets my attention and I turn to it. The first thing I see is the end of a guitar case, and then a pair of sneakers pushing the case out of the booth.


The owner of the sneakers stands up and puffs his hair off his forehead, and my breath stops. He is...well, I don’t know who he is...but just that he is! Then the melody that I have had in my ear all day has words, and I start to sing:


I don't know why I love ya like I do

I don't know why I just do

Well I don't know why you thrill me like you do

I don't know why you, just do

You never seem to want my romancing

Ah, the only time you hold me is when we're dancing

I don't know why I love ya like I do

I don't know why I just do


He had made his way to the door with two other people, but then stopped and turned around, his expression incredulous. The case crashes to the floor and I find my arms filled with a gorgeous blonde who is just staring at me. “It's you. I love you.” He states quietly.


“I love you too.” I reply.


“Brian?” Ben calls out my name, but all I can see are blue eyes and full lips, and all I can hear is the sound of my heart hammering in my chest.


“Want to go?” I ask him.


“Yes.” He replies, and I lead him out of the diner, which had gone completely silent.


MARILYN


I smile at Emmett, then nod in the direction of the back. Sighing, he gets up and makes his way over. Chris and Daphne are stock still near the door, not knowing quite what to do, so I beckon them over.


“What just happened?” Daphne asks. “And is he safe?”


“They finally met, and yes he is. Now, about you two?”


“There is no us two!” Chris blusters.


“But you would like there to be. You don’t want to break up the gang, but worry not. You, like Justin and Brian, will be fine. Nothing is going to get between the three of you.”


“Brian?” Daphne queries.


“Brian Kinney, Stud Extraordinaire of Liberty Avenue. And after all this time, he has found him.”


“Found who? Maybe we should call Craig and…” Chris trails off. “...what is your problem, buddy?” He snarls looking at the back booth.


“I can look where I want!” Michael barks back before sliding into the booth and leaning against the wall. Then he gets territorial and drapes Ben’s arm across his shoulders before he leans against him. “Besides, I was giving you the stink eye because you are ogling my boyfriend!”


“Now he’s your boyfriend!” Debs declares as she comes out the back with Emmett, then heads to the hatch to collect their food. “Where’s Brian gone?”


“Dunno, most likely off to fuck and suck.” Michael grumbles. “Is it his usual? If so, it can keep, I will drop it off later. You don’t mind, do you Ben?”


“Would it make a difference if he did?” Emmett asks as he leans against their booth.


“Why does everyone have a problem with me wanting to be helpful to Brian after all he’s been through…”


“We don’t have a problem with you being helpful, it’s your idea of gratitude we have a problem with!” Debs growls.


CHRIS


I look at Daph and can see her twilight zone time to go expression. “Well, thanks for…”


“He was shot. Someone shot him in the head. He almost died. Never caught the guy.” Marilyn says quietly. “But a young man found him and stayed with him until the ambulance came, visited him every day and would…”


“Sing.” Daph breathes then looks at me with tears in her eyes. “Chris, it’s him, the guy from the hospital, it’s him.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks