- Text Size +

CHAPTER 12 - ALL PLAYERS ARE NOW PRESENT...LET THE GAMES BEGIN

 

OUTSIDE JUSTIN AND CHRIS’S HOUSE - 40 MINUTES LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

Jesus, this is a fancy area! I pull up about twenty feet from The Gables and watch the gate for the arrival of Ben and Brian. An hour later, I am still waiting. I am about to check the start time for the dinner when I see his jeep coming down the road. He pulls up, speaks into the intercom, and the gates swing open. Twenty minutes later, Chris’s car is pulling out with the jeep close behind it.  

 

After ten minutes I am pulling up about three cars back from them and shake my head. Typical Mercy, although she is not in a gated area like him, the house is elegant and just so her. I frown as they get out of Chris’s car then look at her car, which she had parked badly, Chris is laughing and pulling out his phone. A minute later, the front door opens and her arm comes out. There is a beeping and he opens it and is about to get in when Brian stops him. I wind down the window so I can hear better.

 

“I will do it. Mercy, are the cars dropping us here or home?!” She answers him but I can’t quite catch it. “Okay! Let’s get this in first, then yours, and then mine.”

 

Five minutes later, all the cars are parked and they head inside laughing and joking. I close the window and wait. Some time later, I wake to the sound of laughter and panic that they have seen me, but they are getting into the cars and I am so annoyed. They are gorgeous! Proper old style Rolls Royce! Mercy and Emmett get in one car, Brian and Justin in the next...I can just imagine what they are going to be doing in there! Then Chris and Daph and then Ben and George. I sigh with longing as Ben looks great and I’ve only seen his overcoat.

 

“You will be back where you belong, Ben. Make no mistake about that.” I watch the cars until I can no longer see them, and then make my way back to the store.

 

PITTSBURGH GRAND HALL - THIRTY MINUTES LATER

 

MERCY

 

I am so excited! George is trying not to drool over Emmett, but that is not what is completely girding my loins. Yes, that is one thing, as I am determined that he and George have at least one date lined up after tonight, but Emmett is needed for another reason, for he is about to have his night made and then some!

 

I look around to see who of the who’s-who is here. I can see Nathaniel Barker and his latest paramour...or beard should we say?! You’re straight, and the world knows this. Being gay is not a thing to put on your resume. It is who you are! No matter how much his agent begs, he will never be considered by me for any movie. I don’t work with liars! Smiling, I see the person I need and right now she has her back to me.

 

“Emmett, can you come with?”

 

“Of course, darling, where are we going?”

 

“You will see.” I take his hand and lead him to my target, praying she doesn’t turn around.  Fortune favours the brave, as not only does she not turn around but she is also by herself when we reach her. “I want a word with you!” I snarl and she freezes then coolly turns around.

 

“What is it that…” She stops, her drink paused and her eyes wide. “...Emmett Honeycutt?” She looks between him and me. “The dresser? It’s that Emmett Honeycutt?”

 

“Yep.” I reply, trying my hardest not to grin and scream. “Well, what you gonna do?”

 

“You're Melicita Coombes! I am staring at Melicita Coombes!” Emmett gasps. She is one of the people he has said he would love to dress. She may be a new style film star, but she has vintage quality and is an absolute sweetheart. “Why are you being…”

 

“Happy birthday, darling, I wrapped him as best I could.” Now they are both looking at me with tears in her eyes and his full of confusion. “Well, give it to him. Hold out your hand.” I order them both.

 

He does so, and she places her phone in it. “It is unlocked, call yourself. I would love it if you could give me a complete wardrobe overhaul.” He is blinking and his mouth opening and closing. “I don’t care how long I have to wait. Please, Mr Honeycutt.”

 

“Mercy?” He has finally recovered the power of speech, but is still yet to comply with her request. “What is going on?”

 

“She is one of my good friends in the business and one of my greatest out of it, and you two are fans of each other. So you going to call?” He dials his number, all the while slowly swinging his gaze between the two of us. “Okay, give her the phone back and go patch her up.”

 

“I don’t know what to say, Mercy! You are just...” She sniffs, finally giving way to her tears.

 

“Able to make it happen. Now go with him, I will be right here with fresh drinkies.”

 

“Okay. Shall we?” She crooks out an arm and he takes it, a grin spreading across his face. “So how do you know that darling reprobate?” She smirks as she leads him away.

 

“She’s the female version of a very good friend of mine. Now tell me all about her…”

 

I chuckle as they glide away and signal for a drink.

 

CHRIS

 

This is beyond awesome! We have been gawking and fangirling at everyone. Twice George has had to stop Daph from running over to a celeb for a selfie! As I look around again, I freeze and gape.

 

“What’s wrong with you? You look like someone shoved a cattle prod up your butt.” Brian teases me, but I don’t reply. I keep my eyes on the last person I thought we would ever see again. “Chris? You alright?”

 

“Where’s Justin?”

 

“With Ben over there.” He indicates to our right. “What is it? Who is that guy?”

 

I scan the room again and then almost slump in relief. “We need to talk to Justin.” We reach him the same time as Daph and she looks a combo of grim faced and relieved. “Saw him too?”

 

“Yeah and him.”

 

“Who him?” Justin asks sipping his drink.

 

“Dixon’s here.” I tell him, and then hand him a napkin when he coughs into it. “I know, but so is Hunter.”

 

“Dixon and Hunter are….?” Brian almost growls.

 

“James Dixon was my math teacher who was a little too keen on my butt. He was fired the same day we graduated. Hunter works for my parents. My mom most likely sent him. She and my sister Molly paid Dixon a visit to tell him to leave me alone…”

 

“Start from the beginning.” Ben orders confused. By the time we have finished, Justin has a Brian and Ben ring fence around him, and I have texted Hunter to let him know, which he already did, about Dixon. “Hopefully, he will stay over there.”

 

“He will if he ever wants to use that dick for anything other than to piss with!” Brian snarks.

 

DIXON

 

I can't believe it, he is here! I look across at Lindsay who is schmoozing, and then at my now suddenly tiresome and now deeply inferior date. If I could just have five minutes to explain why I behaved the way I did.

 

“I wouldn’t.” Is suddenly whispered in my ear and I turn to face a six foot angry looking blonde. “Go near him I mean, because I will stop you and it will humiliatingly painful. I work for Jennifer Taylor…” My eyes close of their own volition in resignation. “I believe she told you to stay away from her son. You are lea...”

 

“I have been looking forward to this dinner for weeks. I promise I will not bother him.”

 

“Don’t make promises you can keep, ruins my fun when I can't beat you to a bloody pulp for breaking them. I will be around. We all will be...”

 

“All...you mean there…”

 

“They are obsessed with his wellbeing and happiness. The protection of their son’s ass, like your desperation to have it, is paramount and I love my job.” He steps away before I can say anything else.

 

“Who was that? He looks cute.” Malcolm asks, watching the guy walk away.

 

“Can’t remember his name. Just someone in the business. It was small talk.”

 

“Have you seen him?!” He sighs and discreetly points at where Justin was standing, but when I look he is no longer there. Well, if he is I can’t see him, and I am not sure why the redhead is glaring at me. “See Drew Boyd is over there. I would love his autograph amongst other things.” He titters.

 

“I’ll bet…”

 

“Let’s go over.”

 

“No. Let’s stay here…” I see a familiar flash of blonde hair, but then remember the guy’s words. “We can meet him maybe later.”

 

“Oh, alright. What do you think of the menu?”

 

“Very nice. Now let’s circulate some more.”

 

LINDSAY

 

“Could you excuse me for a minute?” I tell Cristo Mallon and he nods. I smile at people I know as I head to the powder room, but can’t shake the feeling of discomfort that has been cloaking me since we started to get ready for this event. Maybe it is because I am unaccompanied, yes that has to be it, but I have plenty of friends here to entertain me.

 

As I step inside I find myself looking at the most astonishing looking woman leaning against the sink looking bored. “If you don’t mind me saying…” I smile as I walk up to her. “...you are very beautiful.”

 

“I do mind you saying.” She replies looking me dead in the eyes. “I have no intention of being taken in by your attempts at flattery or flirting. Hawk that elsewhere.” She stands up and clears her throat. “Any chance you can pee faster?”

 

“I was not…”

 

“You wanted me gussied up in this thing! Did you not factor in any additions?” A voice I know very well calls back. My stomach drops and my heart pounds. “But it is beautiful. Thank you.” The door opens, and out steps a stunning looking Mel!

 

“You are welcome. Now put them on and let’s go.” She hands her a pair of shoes with a smile.

 

“Mercy!” She gasps. “When did you?”

 

“Didn't, your wife did. Pre-push present, they should be nicely broken in by the time you want to wear them again.” She waggles them at her. “And speaking of wives…”

 

“Hey baby, I mean babies!” We both turn to the voice as the owner steps out a cubicle then Mel squeals and drops the shoes. “Surprise!”

 

“You said….You told me that you weren’t going to be here!”

 

“Miss this and a chance to show off my darling wife and her bump? No way! Now sit down and let me put Cinderella's slippers on.”

 

As Mel sits down, she looks up and finally sees me but says nothing. She doesn’t spare me another look before she turns to Mercy. “How long have you been planning this?”

 

“Getting Leda here without you suspecting? About two weeks. Organising the flaunting of your happiness to Lindsay Peterson Dixon...months.”

 

“Ah, your insistence now makes sense. Help us up.” She holds out her hands and she rises gracefully from the seat. “So how can I return the favour for this?”

 

“Speak to George Schickel. He needs a legal rep, and you will be bored off your tits for the next few months.”

 

All the time I am standing there my eyes glued to her stomach. Pregnant! Mel is pregnant! And married!

 

“Once again, you are in the way, kindly move!” I am jerked out of my stupor by the harsh tones of her wife. “What table are we on, Merc?”

 

“Second. I will be right out, just need to freshen…”

 

“Your claws?” Mel laughs over her shoulder.

 

“Yep. Can you see if they can do me a rhubarb gin fizz?”

 

“Sure.”

 

MERCY

 

Now it is just the two of us. “So, Mrs Peterson Dixon…”

 

“You have an advantage over me. You know…”

 

“I have millions of advantages over you, and some of them are in the ballroom hoping you won’t speak to them about your opus.”

 

“My...do you mean my film?”

 

“Yep. Oh, there is going to be someone that will agree to get it done, if only to shut you up, but believe me, for the hurt you caused my dear Mel I will make sure that the only light of day it sees will…”

 

“Before you finish that idle threat, who are you? I know a lot of people in this industry, and…”

 

“Mercedes.” She shrugs. “First name is Mirabelle second is Mercedes.” She is about to shrug again when she catches on.

 

“How does Mel…” She trails off.

 

“Known her for years. The tales of her hardship and heartbreak over your treatment were such...but she has Leda now. So now that we each know who the other is, let’s enjoy the dinner. Battle will commence again from tomorrow. Actually, maybe not tomorrow, I will be sleeping off the hangover I fully intend to have.”

 

LINDSAY

 

I stare at the slowly closing door and lean against the sink. Everyone has heard of Mirabelle Mercedes, but few have dealt directly with her. She is very particular and almost reclusive in her work ethic. This is not a woman I should have as an enemy.

 

Gathering myself, I head back to rejoin the fray, then my heart soars as Justin Taylor is here and he and I have never met. I am about to introduce myself, knowing that James won’t be able to, when he is swept into a passionate kiss by a tall and gorgeous redhead. It takes them a few minutes to part and when they do, the redhead glares at James. Smirking, I sidle up to him.

 

“Oh dear, James, look he is so close and judging by that kiss and the glaring he is going to remain so very far from you.”

 

He glowers at me before he too smirks. “Mel is looking lovely...and blooming. Nice ring she has. Pregnancy and happiness suit her.”

 

“Yes she does. She and Leda are very happy, beautiful shoes she’s wearing. I can finally speak about their coming.”

 

“You knew about all of this?” He regards me suspiciously for a few moments, then I see when he believes that I haven’t been completely blindsided. “Well, I shall leave you to catch up with your ex and her much more beautiful than you wife!”

 

“Temper temper, just because you’ve been cockblocked and, it looks like dumped for the evening, there is no need to take it out on me.”

 

“What are you…” He falters as he watches Malcolm head out of the room with Nathaniel’s beard.

 

“While I schmooze, you continue to lose.” I taunt him and stride away.

 

JAMES

 

As I snatch a glass of wine from a passing waiter I think to myself one of these days she is going to push it too far!

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.