- Text Size +

CHAPTER 13 - FEASTING ON THE FOOD OF LOVE AND DRINKING A GLASS OF HATE


LEDA


“You two doing okay?” I stroke Mel’s belly, which is only slightly showing. “I mean with…”


“Meaning nothing to me, and feeling nothing but relief and happiness.” She smiles and then looks over her shoulder before looking impishly at my drink. “Quick, before she comes back!”


“Why do you do this? You know she’s going to tell immediately and...too late!” I chuckle as a mouthing no at me Mercy heads towards us. “So you want to know what she’s got?”


“Orange juice?” She sighs sadly.


“As if!” Mercy snorts and drapes her arm over her shoulder. “You, my darling friend, can have this.” She takes the glass. “This is where you sip…” She winks at me. “...now swallow and say thank you.”


She almost chokes on whatever it is before giving her a smacker on the lips, which draws a gasp to my left. I look and there is Lindsay, just gaping, but when she sees me watching her she turns her back. “What is that, and any clue as to the watching shrew?”


“Bergamot, ginger and apple fizz!” Mel exclaims and hands it to me, the lurid colour is a bit off-putting but it is absolutely gorgeous. “Have you been playing good friend?”


“A very small good friend, but a good one nonetheless.” She chuckles, taking her rhubarb fizz off of me. “The base of Mother’s Ruin, just this once as it is an auspicious occasion.”


“And that is?” I query and reluctantly hand it back.


“I will get you one. And Mother’s Ruin is what they used to call gin in olden times in…”


“I hardly think that is appropriate considering...” We are startled by Lindsey's arrival and her pious but hushed tones.


“When did The Storm-Marcus baby become any of your concern?” I ask, taking Mel’s hand to kiss the back of it and watch Mercy clench her glass…this is not going to end well, need to head her off!


“Any foetus whose mother is willing to put it at risk by…”


“Being the only one that must carry, thus inflicting your DNA on the poor thing!” I interrupt her for her own safety, as now the drink is by Mercy’s side and she is slow blinking, which means she’s doing stinking thinking!


“Apart from the moral aspect, it is a medically proven fact that…”


“When eavesdropping, eavesdrop properly. I said the base of Mother’s Ruin, not the final product. It is booze free you sanctimonious old bat!” Mercy smiles. “Now flutter off to your belfry and flap that foetid like your fanny stinking mouth there!”


“Foetid like your fanny stinking mouth?” Mel chortles at Lindsey's affronted, but closed mouth, expression. “And to think she’s being kind by not saying that loud enough for people to hear. I will get louder. Remember how I used to scream...during one of our many many rows? Shall I refresh your…” She giggles into my shoulder as Lindsay almost sprints across the room to get away from us, then takes another sip. “...now Mercy, wherever did you hear that from?”


“Just came to me.” She sighs sadly. “Sorry, I should have....”


“Yes you should’ve let me defend my wife first, but apparently in this modern era that is another duty of the godmother.” I drain my drink and watch her stare morosely down through the bottom of hers, then slowly her head comes up and she looks first at me then at Mel. “And there is the shower, we want it pure tinseltown and…”


“Tinsel? Did I hear tinsel?” A beaming man strides up to us. “I am Emmett Honeycutt, tinsel tosser extraordinaire, I am extraordinarily good at the other tossing, but let’s keep it clean. Now, Mercy…” He nudges her and she turns to look at him. “Sweet one, who are these two beauties that have you so quiet?”


“Uh, this is Mel and her wife Leda.” Mercy then points at Mel’s tummy. “And in there is my godchild.”


“So the flummoxification is because you’ve just found out she’s…”


“No, the godmother part.” She starts to beam at us but before we can continue the MC announces that the Awards part is going to start.


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


When I got to the store, I remembered that because I was so certain that I would be going, I had made sure that everything was done and put a notice up that I would be closed on Friday, but now my feathers are further ruffled because the ceremony but not the dinner is being shown live! I was idly channel hopping when I landed on the F&F Channel, it’s called the Film & Fashion Channel officially, but I prefer to think of it as false and facetious...all that twittering and billing and cooing over bits of cloth! Emmett had simpered about it before and I tuned him out, but then something caught my eye and that something was Brian! I just froze the screen thinking I had imagined it, but there he was, striding into the venue.


“How…” I mumble around a mouthful of Mexican, sadly the food not a naked pool boy. “...does Mercy sit through these…” I drop my fork and can’t believe it! Ben is sitting next to Drew Boyd!


“So, ladies and gentlemen.” Some scrawny presenter twitters. “We are going to be conducting at-table interviews…”


“You have gotta be kidding?!” I snarl at this continued unfairness, I lose my appetite as they go from table to table. “Do not interview Drew Boyd, do not interview Drew Boyd!” I pray.


“Now we are nearing the top tables. Sitting on Table Two are the film mogul George Schickel, the retired Ironman Drew Boyd, the CEO and President of Kinnetic, Brian Kinney, and, a rare treat for the true artists film and theatre aficionados amongst us, Leda Storm. May I start with you, Mr Schickel? I understand an announcement of a film of magnitude is in the offing?”


“Yes it is, but this is not for me to share, as it is not my news. Yes, I have provided the film and financial backing, but I am not the person in charge. While all those here at this table are the team of producers, writers, directors, music score writers, voice over artist and legal…the person who is the brains and the beauty behind Rage the Anger Within is Mirabelle Mercedes...”


“What?!” I gasp at the screen, and it seems that everyone else is surprised to hear that too! But then it hits me, I will be working on this. After all, I’m her best friend and she wouldn't leave me out! Grinning, I am about to switch the TV off as they pan away from their table when I see something...I don’t like the way Drew Boyd is leaning in on Ben.


BACK AT THE DINNER


MERCY


Okay, so they have been told. I went to my hiding place behind a pillar when I saw Cruz Mendez heading to the table. George has been an absolute diamond in allowing me to use him as a front for this, but now it's time to go explain. As I approach, all eyes turn to me and I start to breathe easier when I see no annoyance just curiosity.


“Now come, my little Emerald, explain yourself.” Emmett pats the seat next to him.


“Everything I said about George is true. He did want you to do his artistry, but…”


“We can discuss the what of that another time.” George tells Brian who regards me for a few long moments before nodding. I breathe out. “Shall I take over?” I nod and drain my glass, my focus is on the table. “As she said, everything she said to you is true, but we just said it was my film and not hers. She had the idea, she has written the dialogue and everything, but didn’t have the confidence to approach you to say it was for her. After all she’s done for me, I couldn’t say no. And if you said no to it then…”


“Would you have asked someone else?” Ben questions, and I shake my head.


“You would’ve waited it out until he said yes?” Emmett loops his arm in mine, and again a small nod. “Stop being a bastard and put her out of her misery!”


“A condition needs to be added to the contract…” I blink at him. “...Kinnetic does the promotion?” I start to smile. “That you leave with me, you can have a say but not much.”


“Um, just a second. George, you said all of us on this table. What are Chris and I?” Daph looks around. “We can’t do anything.”


Justin is grinning. “Do you have security lined up?”


“Why no, I don’t. Don’t suppose you know a security firm that we could use…” I smirk at him over the rim of my glass. “...perchance?”


“Meanwhile…” Chris prompts, and I realise what he has said is true.


“Runners and…”


“Fight co-ordinators!” Daph exclaims, and we all look at her. “I am the best fighter of the three of us, and Chris can be the PT as that’s his major, and…”


“But what about me?” Emmett frowns. “What am I doing?”


“Set location. You and George will be spending a lot of time together finding inspirational sets, so why not exchange numbers now, as in right now, and make arrangement for Thursday to meet and discuss.” All eyes turn to them, and the first to move for his phone is George. “Marvellous!” I declare as digits are exchange. “So to our ickle film company...”


“What are we called?” Chris asks reaching for his glass.


“Esmeralda Skyes.” I smile sadly. “They would...never mind. To Esmer…”


“Who’s they?” Emmett stays my hand. “Your folks?” I nod.


“We're family now, so tell us. I know that they are gone, but how?”


“Car crash. He was on the phone and then they were gone.”


“Sorry, honey.”


“Still say it was the caller that caused it.” I growl and then shake myself, not the time or place.


“What caller?” Ben asks gently. “Like Ems said, family now, so tell us…”


“Before we moved to London, my folks would get the odd weird phone call. Nothing more than a silent call. They thought it was from those less enlightened, so shrugged it off, but in the run up to the move they happened more and more. I didn't know about them until we moved, and was glad of it, because they stopped.” I signal for a refill and take down half of it before continuing. “It was about another three months before they started up again…”


“How long was this for?” Justin searches his pockets. “Do you have a pen and paper? It’s too noisy for recording, and I don’t think you want to say this again.”


“Here.” Brian hands him a notebook with such a look of pride it makes me smile.


“Okay, so when?”


“When I was 14, and they died when I was 19.” They look horrified. “Gets better, just before the crash a call came through and the voice kept singing ‘I’m going to kill you’. In his haste to cut it off, he swerved into the path of a bus, he never had a chance. Mum died instantly, he hung on for a few weeks, in a coma and the first thing he did was ask for her. My uncle told him, then he died of a heart attack a week later...well a broken one.” I finish off my drink. “So there you have it...and the thing, the one thing I will never forgive him for is not just not bothering to call, but to not come to the funerals either. Could not believe that.”


“Who didn’t?” Leda hands me a tissue, I hadn’t realised I was tearing up.


“Do you mean Michael?” Ben wearily wipes his hand over his face. “Explains the doggedness to be with you. Maybe he's trying to make up for it.”


“A simple sorry would do.” I point out. “But no, he continues to talk about them as if they are still here! And it...” I frown as a tall blonde strides over, but relax a bit when Justin smiles and hands him the notebook, he reads it briefly, nods, pockets it then heads back the way he came. “And that was?”


“Hunter. He works for my parents. I am going to get my dad to look into this. You will get the pad back if you need it back.” While Brian shakes his head, I can feel my jaw unhinge. “I know it's been a long time, but there is always that not knowing thing.” He smiles at Brian. “It was horrible wondering if I would ever see you again, even though I knew in my heart I would, but the waiting…” This time the kiss is less a show of ravishment but still with the same passion.


“At the risk of lightening the mood, can we enjoy ourselves now? We have things to celebrate!” I order lifting my glass. “To Esmeralda Skyes!”


“To Esmeralda Skyes!” They chorus back, and I feel a little less sadness at saying my parents’ middle names.


DINER - NEXT DAY, LATE MORNING


DEBS


I just look at the gaggle of giggling twinks that want to sit in the back booth, and they wisely change their minds and sit at the next one. Just as they sit, in comes Ben and Drew Boyd! Drew Boyd is in my diner! I clutch the counter, blink a couple of times, and take a deep breath.


“Good morning, Ben!” I squeak, and go crimson. “Well, so much for coolness in the face of celebrity! I’m Debs. I know he’s not…”


“His ex’s mother. Nice to meet you. I have a question for you…” I am in shock. “...I am kinda hanging here.” I look down and brush his hand aside and pull him into a hug. “Okay, you're a hugger! He said that!”


“You’re Drew Boyd, I am not going to miss an opportunity to grab a handful! Now sit down, and what did you want to ask me?” I shuttle them into the booth.


“You have a cock tee. I would like one. Could you get one for me, please? You can understand what would happen if I...obviously I will pay you back. Uh, Debs? Debs? Are you alright?”


The next time I open my eyes, I am resting on someone’s chest. “She's coming around.” A voice floats to me. “Can you sit up?” Someone is stroking my arm gently. “Sis, can you sit up? Drink this.” I look at the ‘this’ and it is a glass of water.


Slowly I sit up and take the glass. “What happened?”


“You fainted.” Vic explains peering closely at me. “Seems that Drew asking you for a cock was a little overwhelming for your delicate constitution.”


“I didn’t dream that?” The chest I am leaning against rumbles, and I look up and start to move away. “I guess that answers my question.”


“So will you answer mine?” Drew pulls me back against his chest.


“Large?” I rally some Debness.


“Both the tee and the cock?” Ben teases, and Drew licks his lips and we wait for his answer.


“One is bigger than the other, but yes they are both large.”


“Aunt Debs! You okay?” Mercy flies to the booth and grabs my hand.


“I am fine honey, just got overheated that’s all. Calm down, okay?” She takes a couple of steadying breaths and then nods before mutely handing her keys to Brian.


“You are going to have to learn how to park it yourself.” He grouses good naturedly, and gets up. “But in fairness, this time you had a good excuse. Won’t be…” His phone beeping stops him and the smile says this is a good thing, a very good thing. “...they’ve finally roused him and will be here in five minutes. Won’t be long. We're going to need that booth too.”


“Stay there, Debs! I'll sort the booths and breakfasts!” Kiki calls out, and I settle back down. “How many are expected?” She looks at Ben who is counting off on his fingers.


“I got twelve including Vic and Debs.” He replies, and then the bell rings. “No, make it 14. Ted, over here!”


“Who is that?” I ask as Ted comes up with a cute blonde.


“Blake.” Ben grins. “He met him on holiday and brought him to the dinner. Blake, this is Debs and her brother, Vic.”


“Nice to meet you both.” He shakes our hands.


“Well aren’t you polite? If you two secure that booth, then we will start uh…” Vic pauses as Mercy puts a large Gucci bag on the table. “...what is that?”


“A present, and until everyone is here it is not going to be opened.”


“What do you mean?” I stare hard at her. “I know that look. What have you done?!” I demand, and try to sit up, but am held tighter by an Ironman. “Mercy, you haven’t?!”


“No I haven’t!” She doesn’t look at me squarely in the eye, nor does she look at Vic.


“Oh, come on, honey, no!” He exclaims when he catches on. “That’s surely not for…”


“Morning all!” Michael chirrups as he comes up, he stops, gapes and then frowns. “Why are you holding my mother, Mr Boyd?”


“Because she fainted.” He clips out.


“I’m Michael.” He puts his hand out with a toothy smile.


“I know, sorry can’t shake, have hands full.”


“Ma can sit up now, surely?” He looks meaningfully at me with his smile beginning to slip.


“Concern over my wellbeing is such a warm comforting blanket, Michael.”


“I’m not concerned, you are obviously alright but are taking advantage of Mr Boyd’s good…”


“Chest. He has such a good and comfortable chest.” I make a point of burrowing back, and I see the flash of annoyance. “He wants me to get him a cock for his…”


“Mother!” He cringes, and two things happen; one, Mercy tenses up, and two, Brian comes back.


“Oh shit, this is going to be a goatfuck.” Vic sighs as Mercy gets into position, like a cobra about to strike. “Is there anyway…” He pleads quietly, we all breathe when she reluctantly nods and sits back.


“Kiki, can you get Brian some...” Ben begins but it’s too late, the Kinney Volcano is about to erupt.


“What are you doing here?” He gets within an inch of Michael’s feet so he wisely steps back.


“I am here to speak to Mercy to find out how the evening went…”


“Better than this morning. You being here has seen to that.”


“Hey...oh, what is he doing here?!” Justin grumbles as he gets into the booth next to Mercy, and that causes her to relax a bit more. “How come you get a cuddle, Debs?”


“You should address an unintroduced adult by their salutation and their surname when you meet them for the first time.” Michael rebukes him primly.


“I have met him, Michael, now go and sit by the counter, there is no room for you here.” I hope and pray he’s not going to do his barnacle impression now!


“Oh, I didn't know…” He glowers at Brian as he nudges him further away from the booth to sit next to Justin. “...so Mercy, how was it? I heard the big news, this is awesome for us!”


VIC


Us? What us? Debs and I watched the awards last night, and we can’t wait to see how it turns out, but first we have to head him off at the pass, as I can hear her temper beginning to rise. “Michael, you weren’t there last night. George Schickel said those here assembled or something like that, which means that you won’t be involved.”


“Of course I will!” He asserts, and tries to sit down, but he’s stopped by Brian swiftly moving to the end. “Brian, I would like to sit down!”


“And you’re not picking up by our words and deeds that we don’t want you to do that?” A blonde replies, and hands Mercy her keys back. “A spot came free next to mine, so moved it.”


“Oh, okay, thanks.”


“Is everyone here now?!” Kiki demands, signalling a busboy.


“Hold up, who are you?” I ask, pointing at the blonde.


“This is Chris, he’s…”


“More than capable of introducing myself!” Chris snaps. “As he said, I’m Chris and this is my girlfriend, Daphne. You have got to be Vic and Debs, you look just as she described you.”


“Who described us?”


“Mercy did. She told us about her life here and then in London. How great you were when her parents died.”


“Shame the same could not be said for her so-called best friend.” Ben bites out.


Ah, this has been a long coming, and now’s a good a time as any! But once again, not a flicker of recognition or contrition from him!


“I don’t see why I can’t be involved. I have extensive knowledge of the comic book world, and…”


“It is not going to be a comic though, it’s going to be a live animation movie and you know nothing about that, though this won’t stop you from being an ultracrapidarian about it.” Brian glowers up at him.


“Crep, not crap.” Mercy smirks.


“Huh?” Brian frowns.


“Who is crep, not crap?” Emmett asks, as he comes up with a distinguished older gentlemen. They both scowl at Michael. “Though I can guess. Vic and Debs, this is my new friend, George Schickel, and these two ladies behind are Leda and Mel. Are the two booths ours, and can someone explain why she is using Drew Boyd as a pillow?”


We quickly catch them up, and then the silence descends. “So let’s order and discuss our next move!” Michael declares, and after another pointed look at Brian goes and sits in the next booth.


“You need an NDA to sit there.” Brian calls over his shoulder.


“An NDA? What are you…”


“You are not part of Esmeralda Skyes, therefore you cannot be privy to a conversation about it or its future projects.”


“This is ridiculous. Mercy, tell them how much of an asset…” Michael begins to justify


“Be like ET, take off those letters and go home, and you have described yourself perfectly.” Brian cuts him off.


“Can everyone just stop?” Mercy exclaims. “Let him stay.”


“Let him stay?” Brian echoes, and Michael swaggers smugly up to the booth. “Are you…”


“Yes, sometimes you just have to give in. Let him sit too.” Brian slowly moves up. Nobody can understand this sudden switch. “Can we flipping present this now?”


MICHAEL


I knew it! I knew she would want me on board! Nobody knows Mercy like I do!


“Is that from last night?” I ask excitedly, reaching for it. “Who is it for?”


“People who couldn’t be there last night.” Mercy replies with a smile.


“People? What do you mean…” I stutter to a stop as she slides it towards Uncle Vic and Ma.


“We all contributed a piece. Open! Open!”


“One second, what’s the crep vs crap thing?” Ma demands moving the bag further out of my reach.


“Oh, Brian called him an ultracrapidarian and it should be ultracrepidarian. Means someone who goes on and on about stuff they don’t know as much about as they think.” Brian stares at me the whole time during her explanation. “Now open!”


I can feel my face heat as I take in the wallets, the spa vouchers, the jewellery, champagne, toiletries and vouchers they pull out. “So, everyone got this?” I reach for the watch, but Uncle Vic slaps my hand away. “Ouch! What was that for?!”


“Do not touch, these are not for you!” He retorts, and moves both boxes out of reach. Then pulls out two more envelopes. “What’s in here?”


“Now these are very special. Plane tickets.”


“Plane tickets!” I gasp. “Where to?!”


“London!” Uncle Vic exclaims having opened the envelope. “Oh my goodness.”


“Yeah, you can go see my folks, and...”


“Oh honey, that would be wonderful!” Ma sniffs and I roll my eyes.


“How much are the tickets, and when are we going?” I interrupt with a sigh. “I hope it's not too much, unless you can put mine on the company expenses. It’s a shame that you can’t come with us, you two, but this is business, and we don’t mix business with pleasure, do we, Mercy?”


“Can we please just go or I will seriously be sick!” Ben demands, and Ma and Drew get up to let him out.


“What’s got you so upset?!” I am surprised by his show of temper, and then look at Brian and Justin basically copulating with their tongues. “Oh, I see what you mean. Time and place means nothing to some people!”


“No it doesn’t, does it. Now Ben, sit down, please.” Mercy orders, and as he slowly does the rest follow suit. “We are going to order and eat and then after that we’re going to talk about the project.”


DEBS


I exchange looks with Vic and then with Brian, what the hell is Mercy up to?!


“But before we do that, you need to sign the NDA and then provide the collateral.”


“Collateral? What do you mean?” Michael’s cup pauses and Brian’s frown starts to turn upside down.


“Uh huh. Everyone has provided personal collateral to be in this project, you know to show their commitment. People can't just rock up, claim bestie and crepidarian rights and think that’s it. We need collateral of at least $100K not cash, something they won't risk losing.”


“A hundred…” He blinks rapidly.


“What do you have that is worth that? This is a fast moving project, the collateral needs to be placed in trust by Wednesday.”


“What could you give her?!” Vic exclaims almost dripping with relief.


“His store.” Brian is glowing with malevolence. “It is worth at least that if not more. He can put that down, he has run it impeccably.”


“My store…”


Mercy sits back and sips her coffee then smiles the way she used to when she was a kid playing poker, knowing she has a winning hand. “Well now isn’t that ironically perfect. You want in, I want that.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you.