- Text Size +

CHAPTER 14 - HIM BEING HIM DOESN’T MAKE IT OKAY! AND A LITTLE MORE ABOUT BRIAN


MICHAEL


“What about them?” I point at the teenagers.


“What about them?” Mercy retorts, twirling a straw.


“Where’d they get their collateral from?”


“Rich parents have their advantages.” Chris returns with a smile.


“But how so quickly? It was only announced yesterday, so…”


“The wider world heard about it yesterday, they knew before then.” Brian feeds his twinky monkey, rather appropriately, some nuts.


“Okay, so that’s what needs to happen, let’s go.” Mercy stands up and nudges Monkey Boy and his Feeder.


“But must it be my store though? Can’t it be something else?” I protest, remaining where I am.


“What else do you have?” Mercy sits back down and there is sighing as everyone else does the same.


“The house.”


“What house? You rent your house.” Ben frowns.


“Not that house, the house that Uncle Vic and Ma are in. That can be used as collateral. It is coming to me anyway.”


“Is it now?” Uncle Vic looks annoyed. “And when did you read our wills?”


“I didn’t! That's private. Besides, who else would you leave the house to, after each other, there is only me.”


“Your arrogance knows no bounds.” Uncle Vic rolls his eyes at Ma. “Besides, if we put up the collateral then it is us that are on the project not you.”


“What?”


“Mercy said that…”


“I know what she said, Uncle Vic, I am here!”


“Then the shame is twofold: one for being here, and the other for not listening again.” Ben snaps, and I can’t understand, since he dumped me, why he is being, for want of a better word, a wanker.


“I was listening, Benjamin…” I know he hates to have his whole name used. “...all I mean is that they can sign the house over to me now instead of when they pass, then I can give that as collateral for Mercy.”


“No.” Ma doesn’t even look up from the watch she’s checking out. “Like Mercy said, you want in, you give her that. Now until such time as that comes to pass, this project is a no-go zone while you are present. So, Mercy, why not go home and discuss it there?”


“Oh come on! I am not going to say anything to…”


“You admitted you would when you thought it was just Brian on the project, so yeah, let’s take it to my place and talk there.” Mercy stands up and prods Brian and his pet to move and he almost shoves me to the floor.


“There was no need for that!” I object as I stand up.


“There was every need.” Justin smirks. “Shame you never landed on your ass...et.”


“Come on, y’all, let’s just go.” Mercy sighs.


“I will meet you afterwards. How long do you think you will be, Mercy?” I relish this moment.


“Meet me afterwards where?”


“Your house?”


“My house? How do you even know where I live?”


“Justin told me.” I frown. “Was it supposed to be a secret? Now that’s not very good is it?”


“I did not tell you! I, thankfully, haven’t seen you since…”


“Are there recordings for this place, Aunt Debs? If so, can I see them?” Mercy bites out, glaring at Justin, and Brian doesn’t look impressed either...pity about that!


“Sure, come with me honey.” Ma leads Mercy to the office. A minute later Uncle Vic follows, taking the bag with him.


“I did not tell him her address!” Justin repeats.


“Then how do I know it?” I question.


“Justin, when was the last time you were in the diner?!” Ma calls out.


“Yesterday! I never saw you! I didn’t, Brian, I promise I never gave him her address!”


Brian says nothing, and for the next ten minutes nobody else does. The door to the office opens and Mercy, Ma and Uncle Vic come out. “So am I meeting you at your place or not?”


“Not.” Mercy replies tightly. “Seriously, stay away. I am so pissed at you right now!”


“And she’s not the only one!” Ma barks and slaps me on the back of my head. “I thought you would’ve grown out of that shit!”


“What shit?” Ben asks.


“I will explain at home.” Mercy shouts over her shoulder and strides out, they swiftly follow.


“You are not kids anymore.” Uncle Vic snaps, and then he too smacks me on the back of my head.


What is wrong with people?! If she had given me her address like I asked then I wouldn’t have had to follow him! If anyone deserves a head slap it's her for being so stubborn!


MERCY’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


MERCY


I sip my whisky and shake my head at an about-to-speak Leda.


“He Horarce’d you.” I tell a hand-wringing Justin.


“He harassed me? When?”


“Not harassed. Horace’d.” I wave the bottle and to the one, everyone nods, I look at Leda and she mouths small. “He followed you, Chris and Daph out of the diner and most likely to your house and waited, and then to my house. Hence him knowing where I live.”


The room is silent, then people start to wince and cringe. “What does that mean?” Chris demands, heading to the window and closing the curtains. “Horace’d I mean?”


“Open them back up please. He can watch if he’s out there!” That at least raises a titter or two. “Billy Horace was my first boyfriend, and Michael wanted to come on our first date but I said no. He seemingly accepted that and all was good until it was date time; Mom spotted him lurking and took him home.”


“I don’t…” Leda looks around and I huff a breath.


“He knew where Billy lived and the day of the date, so he waited for him to head to said date...and followed him.”


There is silence for a few seconds before Justin explodes.


“That is fucking creepy! You mean he was in the diner and overheard the conversation and…seriously that is all sorts of…”


“Michael.” I supply.


“Doesn’t make it right.” Mel growls. She knows my childhood friendship with the leech as she tends to call him. “Just because he does this…”


“Does he know where I live?” Brian asks Ben who looks stunned. “Ben, has he ever followed you?”


“I don’t know. He couldn’t have done. Surely not.” He trails off.


“No he doesn’t. He tends to announce his achievements, in his own subtle way, like he did just now.” I top everyone’s glass up and then really take in their expressions. “He’s also not as smart as he thinks.”


“How’d you mean?” Brian is looking around, and when he spots the humidor, grins and gets it, then he looks at Mel. “Are you okay with this?”


“Yeah, I will just sit by the window. Now what do you mean, Mercy?” She cracks it open and then inhales deeply. “Love the smell of roses. Sorry continue.”


“Billy and I dated for three years and he never knew.” I still get a thrill about this and smile in the face of their confusion. “After the first date we had a spectacular row in school and swore our hatred of each other. Michael was so very sad about the demise of relationship after just the one date.” I raise my glass. “Dad’s idea. Said that we should pretend to hate each other and then date…”


“Behind his back?” Justin sniggers.


“How old were you?”


“Thirteen. We broke up, amicably, when I was sixteen. Yep, we had a long distance relationship. He married one of my friends from England. Has two kids. It was love at first sight for both of them. Sweet.”


“Nathaniel Skyes Parker.” Emmett comes from the bathroom looking incredulous. “Your father was Nathaniel Skyes Parker?!”


“Yip.”


“The Balloon Over Water?!” Chris exclaims. “That Nathaniel Skyes Parker?!”


“Yip. He was working on it before he died and I finished it. Went to school, learned the craft, and here I am!”


Now I am squirming as they are all staring at me, well apart from George, Mel and Leda who knew who dad was.


“You won an Oscar.” Daph gapes at me.


“Dad did, I just pretty bowed it.” Once again I grimace. “And that’s another thing I will never forgive him for.”


“Pretty bowed it.” Leda scoffs as she always does when the Oscar is mentioned. “It was good before, you made it awesome.”


“Who won’t you forgive?” Ems is looking very comfortable next to George.


“Michael. He phoned up after dad won to say congratulations to him, he actually asked to speak to him so he could give them personally.”


“But that was a postu…” Mel shudders. “You never told me that.”


“Too painful. Luckily, my Uncle spoke to him, said never to contact me again. First time I have seen and spoken to him.”


“When was the last time you saw him?” Brian selects two cigars and puts them both in his pocket before lighting another one up.


“Sixteen years ago. Now onto more pleasant subjects, baby shower! We are not having it at Spago’s! So don’t even ask!”


“Is that where you met?” Daph clips the end of the cigar and hands it to Chris, who looks at her with such lust, love, whatever, it cements my decision.


“No, that was in a bar. She was at one end and Mel and I the other. We met in the middle.”


“Nathaniel Skyes Parker.” Justin is wide eyed. “Shit. My Mom was devastated when he died, she will make it priority and put her best man on it. Won’t be a second.” He heads outside closing the door gently behind him.


“You changed your name?” Drew asks, swirling the glass in his hand.


“Just dropped the Parker. I wasn’t in the media at all, so it was…”


“As a matter of interest, why didn’t you collect the Oscar?” Brian unpeels the cigar with a knowing smile.


“I look like this.” I gesture at my face. “People tend to stare at the best of times. Imagine them knowing who my dad was as well.”


“Mom said she’s going to get Carl to look into it.” Justin declares as he comes back in. Brian pats between his legs and he sits down. “When are you going to London? He can meet you there.”


“Who is Carl? And whenever you guys can free up time.” I reply, and blow a circle...perfectly.


“Horvath, he’s was a cop but now is a private detective. He’s abso…” He stops and turns to face Brian. “You! One minute!” He gets up and sprints out.


“What?” Leda has a moment of stupidity and then realises. “He’s going to get him to look into you as well.”


“Think so, not sure what good it will do. Police said mugging gone wrong.”


“I say bullshit...lots of it now.” I sigh. “You don’t shoot someone twice and leave the valuables.” Brian gapes at me. “You weren’t mugged, Brian, someone…”


“Tried to kill him.” Justin finishes for me as he comes back in. “Dad said he’s already working on it. He always said there was something off about it.”


“How did you know about the valuables?” Brian frowns, but there is no fear or censure behind it. “I said to them that whoever it was just came up to me and shot me. Never demanded anything, just up and shot.”


“Like I said before, it is part of my, for want of a better word, remit to make sure I know everything about the people I am going to work with, or work with people I know. Your valuables were stolen in the hospital, not when you were supposedly mugged.”


“What?!” Justin pulls out his phone and makes a call on speaker.


“What’s up?” A voice demands.


“Dad, we’re still at Mercy’s house. She said that Brian’s stuff was taken at the hospital, not when he got shot.”


“Okay, is she nearby?”


“Yes, Mr Taylor. When I heard about the shooting I went straight to the hospital to see what was happening. I stayed for a couple of weeks, just keeping an eye on things, and one day I spotted a man coming out of his room with Brian’s stuff. I didn’t think anything of it until the police started to say mugging, and then I realised what the off was about the guy.”


“Which was?” Ben prompts.


“No evidence bag.” There is silence for a few long seconds.


“Are you saying that…”


“A cop stole his things? Yes I am. Didn’t see his face or anything like that, but he was wearing a uniform and when he passed another cop he acknowledged him.”


“Could the cop have shot Brian?” Justin presses against him.


“No. I suspect he just took a chance, son, and it paid off. Carl can look at this too I think. Let me speak to him. Oh, Mr Kinney, be gentle with my son. And Justin, I want to hear all about it. Bye!”


Brian and Justin just stare at the phone and then each other. “Want to have sex today?” Brian smirks.


“Oh yeah!” Justin giggles.


“Not here! Get going!” I laugh, and they run out of the house.


For a few minutes we are all smiling goofily at their antics before I lock eyes with Ben.


“Want to tell me about Caleb?”


“Wh...what about him?” He asks, and very quickly looks at Ted.


“Single perchance?”


“Oh! Oh yes!” Emmett beams, again with the looking at Ted. “And I just so happen to have a certain single Caleb’s number to hand…”


“How fortuitous.” I blow another perfect circle. “Now give it to me you cute little sooth!”


MARILYN’S HOUSE OF LOVE AND MAGIC - TEN MINUTES LATER


MARILYN

 

As I close up for lunch, I nod and smile. I am happy that things are going the way they should. Okay, she’s not been completely honest, but she’s right about Ems and George...they are the perfect match.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.