- Text Size +

CHAPTER 17 - THE MOUTH HOLDS A THOUSAND LIES!

 

OUTSIDE THE LOFT

 

HUNTER

 

I smirk and wave the beat cop off. Pulling out my phone, I send a text, and a second later the window is shut. Snickering, I get back in the car feeling sure that the next time they get busy they will shut the window first! And whoever it was that called the cops was right. It did sound like he was being murdered...twice!

 

I head back to my car and dial my baby’s number and wait for her to pick up. “I am on my way back…” I interrupt her giggling as she is watching Big Bang, I was too, but she sent me out to find Justin as he was not picking up Chris’s calls and his room had looked like there’d been a fight. Daphne pointing out that Justin is one of the messiest people she knows, and he was most likely rushing to get to the loft, didn’t calm their fears. Now that Dixon knows that Justin is going in the same film circles as him and his wife, he might see how much of a pest he can be.

 

Now, as for his wife, she is a different animal. When Molly and Mrs T went to formally warn him off, she didn't seem surprised or bothered. In fact, they said she looked annoyed that he was being warned away, so I called in a favour and asked someone to do a bit of digging. I gun the engine and decide to stop off at the diner down the way, see if I can get a burger or something.

 

DINER - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

DEBS

 

I still get a bit teary when I think about Vic and that beautiful dressing table set of perfume bottles he got me, just because he could. He and Rodney, who seems a nice gent, went to an antiques’ market the day after they first met and he spotted them.

 

“Debs, are you sure you’re okay?” Kiki calls from the table that Lindsay has just left to use the bathroom, she looks up from flicking through the magazine. I nod and then turn as the door opens, annoyingly it is Michael, who is followed by a handsome devil!

 

“Is Uncle Vic back?”

 

“Oh, he’s Uncle Vic now, is he?” I shake my head at the same time. “What can I get you, honey?”

 

“Um, a…”

 

“Is Lindsay still here?” Michael looks across at her table and then goes to take the magazine away from Kiki. “That’s not yours, you shouldn't be going through people’s things.”

 

“It's okay, Michael, I said she could look at it, she was keeping an eye on my coat.” Lindsay calls out as she heads back to the table. “But thank you for your defence.”

 

“Oh, no problem. You never know who is lurking about these days.” He sniffs.

 

“This from King Lurker Lurcher himself.” I declare. “You sent a picture of Mercy's house to yourself without asking me. You had better not turn up…”

 

“Oh, for crying out loud, Michael! You’ve already chased her out of one place, now you are chasing her out of where they are going to work too?!” Vic explodes and The King cringes. “At least they will have security there, which should keep you out!”

 

“Can I sit anywhere?” The guy asks, and I nod. He takes the table next to Lindsay and they both give him an appreciative look, which he ignores then takes out his phone. “Hey, babe, stopped off for a burger on Liberty Avenue. Like I thought he, well they, are fine. Loud but fine. Can you let them know? About an hour or so. Sure, see you later. Love you.”

 

“Pity.” Michael mutters just loud enough.

 

“Weren’t you trying to crawl back into Ben’s pants earlier?” I question, enjoying the scandalised look on his face and the smirk the guy flashes me. “So what burger did you want? And anything to drink?”

 

“Loaded with fries, and, since I haven't had in a while, a large ice cream soda please. Do I pay now…”

 

“First time in a diner?” Michael simpers.

 

“Nope…”

 

“Want to join us? This is…”

 

“I have seen you before.” Lindsay frowns then smiles again. “Yes, you were at the Awards Dinner!”

 

“Yes, I was there briefly, but then I was called on set.” I watch Michael light up like a firework.

 

“Oh how exciting. What are you working on?” He twitters. “I am also in…”

 

“Sorry, can’t say I’m afraid. Actually, will the food take long? I’ve just realised I can drop in on a buddy of mine…”

 

“Fully loaded takes about half an hour to be cooked from scratch.” I reply, and his shoulders droop slightly but their joy is unconfined, seemingly unaware that this is a man who wants to be out of here so badly! “But I could have it delivered to you at your buddy’s place.”

 

“That would be perfect!” He leaps up and both of them look disappointed. “Let me see if I can get hold of him first!” He steps out and then a few minutes later gives me the thumbs up through the window.

 

I nudge Vic and he joins him and after a quick exchange of words, he nods and waves goodbye at me and Vic comes in with a smile. “I will deliver it, Debs, no problem. In fact, can you make an extra one, Harry?!”

 

“Sure!”

 

“Who’s the other one for Uncle Vic?” Michael calls out.

 

“None of your business. Sis, you are in charge, keep that contained!” He orders before stalking to the office and closing the door.

 

KINNETIC - FORTY MINUTES LATER

 

MEETING ROOM 1

 

CALEB

 

I wave Vic off and turn to Hunter. “Okay, so what’s going on? Why’d you ask everyone to be here?”

 

“Hang on. Seriously, I am absolutely starving, I need to get some food down me first!” He grumbles, practically chewing through the box. Ted, Blake and Cynthia just smile at his warning expression. Two bites in he has lost his hungry look and is smiling round the food. “This is good, very good.”

 

The door opening brings in Ben and George.

 

“What’s going on? Who is this guy?” Ben frowns in Hunter's direction. “Wait I have seen you before...”

 

“Hunter, he was at the dinner. We don’t have Emmett, but I can easily catch him up.” I wait for him to swallow down his food. “And what is going on?” I prompt again, daring to steal a fry. I relish the saltiness and the fact that I still have my fingers. He nods in Blake’s direction and we all turn to him.

 

“So, after we heard what was going on at the dinner and then at Mercy’s, Hunter asked me to do a bit more digging…” Blake fills in as he takes another bite. “...James Dixon is married to aspiring Stella Kubrick, Lindsay Peterson” Hunter nods and chews. “She’s from money, and that’s a marriage of convenience. Rumour has it that she wants Justin for more than his musical talent.” He stops chewing and the burger goes down. “They are both rather keen on Justin. Him on his ass, and she on his cock.”

 

Hunter dials a number, putting it on speakerphone. “Molly Taylor!”

 

“Hey, babe, we think we have another problem with Justin.” He tells her. “I am sitting with Caleb and his clients, Ben, Ted, Blake and Cynthia. He’s watching Brian. I told you about that, remember?”

 

“Yeah, so the problem?”

 

“Hi, Molly, this is Blake. It’s about Lindsay Peterson, Dixon’s wife, she wants babies. It’s a badly kept secret that she has baby fever but her husband doesn’t, well not with her.” He continues. “And Justin’s a looker and loaded, and she would give her eye teeth to get to him first...sexually.”

 

“She’s aware that he’s gay, right?” Molly is sounding just that little bit tense, yes she is younger, but she is very protective of her brother.

 

“Yes, but has delusions of her grandeur!” Blake snickers and the rest of us are failing to see the humour in this. “Mercedes and her ex, Mel, are best friends and Mercedes does not like Lindsay in the slightest. In fact, she told her to walk on by when she tried to hit on her at the dinner.”

 

“So, we don’t need to worry really about her, because…” I begin pinching another fry, this time getting a warning look.

 

“We do need to worry about his aspirations though.” Blake interrupts.

 

“Who and what are you talking about?” Cyn starts to pace.

 

“Michael. We all know that Ben backed Brian in saying no to Michael’s comic, right?” We smirk, Ben managed to get a copy of what he was wanting Brian to draw, and we have been ripping it into shreds ever since. “Did you know that he also wanted him to finance it? And when he said no that time he was absolutely sober?”

 

“What?!” Ted and Ben exclaim.

 

“Yeah, didn’t think you knew that, Ben. To the tune of half a million. He had a second backer who pulled out at the same time after Brian said no.”

 

“But....”

 

“”The thing is he could easily have financed it himself. His store is doing very well…”

 

“So this backer...any idea why he pulled out if Michael could do it without Brian?” Ben rubs his forehead, a sure sign of worry stress. “And who it is, I mean was?”

 

“Barnabus Mitchell.” Blake earns an impressed smile from Ted. “Pittsburgh’s film industry is big, but wanting to do what Michael wanted to do narrowed the field considerably.” He takes a sip of water and I start to tense up because I know this can’t be good. “He and Michael are old friends, they are both comicbook aficionados...and fuckbuddies.”

 

“So...”

 

“They fucked two days ago.” Ben blinks a few times before shrugging and I know he is never going to go back to that devil on horseback. “And since you told me what Mercy told you about that cop, well Barnabus is…”

 

“Into cosplay?” Ted suggests.

 

“No. Barnabus is, well was, a cop.” Again he sips. “And he left the force soon after Brian was shot.” We contemplate what has been said as Cyn sits down again. “So, what I think we need to do is get everyone together. Maybe drinks or something…”

 

“What does that achieve?” Molly queries, and I have to admit I don’t get that.

 

“I was in the diner earlier, before you came in, Hunter. Michael was bigging himself up to Lindsay, saying she’s his best friend and all that, but he also knows where Mercy is going to be working. I think…”

 

“Working? She‘s going to be based around here?” Hunter looks around and Ted nods. “Ah, that’s what he meant about security.” Hunter’s steel trap snaps and he starts to make notes. “Vic said something about chasing her out…”

 

“Still don’t get it.” I prompt.

 

“I think, and I could be way off base here.” Blake sits back. “I think he is going to try and bring Barnabus back into the picture to…”

 

“Get him to put up the collateral!” Ted pipes up and Blake nods but gives me a knowing look.

 

“So how we going to do drinks?” Hunter queries then takes another load of fries.

 

“Emerald and Pearl Thirsty Thursday. Have a date with Mercy.” I reply and Ben smirks.

 

“We know. We were outside the door when she asked.”

 

“But...but what if he is the…” Cyn begins looking worriedly around.

 

“That’s what we are for…” I nod at Blake. “...besides, you know what they say about keeping your enemies closer.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thank you.