- Text Size +

CHAPTER 19 - THE LOOK OF REVELATIONS

 

MERCY’S HOUSE - THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

KITCHEN

 

MERCY

 

I love my new home, and, even better, nobody but nobody knows where I am living. I shall base myself at the office during the day and leave my car there. Michael still thinks that I am the same Mercy who has to be where her latest toy is. Uh, nah, I have changed. I check out the picture again before sending it and the directions to the rest of them; such a terrible pity that he was made to delete the photo by Uncle Vic and Aunt Debs! I smile as within seconds Ems has responded with a this is where we will be working?! I want to move in immediately!

 

 

“Well, you can, but there is to be no naughtiness between you and George on the premises!” I ping back, and get a sad face, so I to call him instead, putting him on speaker so I can read the emails that are flying in about Rage. “I take it you two had fun?!”

 

“Oh yes…”

 

“Did you pack your toothbrush?”

 

“No. Hold on a second, sweetie.” I hear his rapid footsteps as he goes from where he was, to, I presume, a more private spot. So I take that opportunity to head to the garage to check out my oldest newest toy. I stroke the cream exterior while waiting for him to get to where he needs to be.

 

“Beautiful.” I murmur, and then laugh when he thanks me. “Of course you are, but I was referring to my roadster. Yep, can send you a picture...I wasn’t going to ask you not to let him see it, it was a given from me that you wouldn’t. So what’s with the finding somewhere downlow to talk?” I lean against the side of the door and grin as Emmett explains why he and Georgie, as he calls him, will not be coming to dinner, because he is whisking him off to Paris! “He will love that! He’s never been, always wanted to. How long are you going to be gone for? Okay, back on Sunday, got it. But of course, I will disclose as much as you will...honey, gotta go, call from London. Take care!” I rub my temple before accepting the call that sometimes turns my stomach. “Unc, how you doing?” I smile in relief as he tells me that everyone is okay. “Thanks for getting her shipped by the way, I appreciate it. So, when are you about so we can come? Yeah, his father thinks it stinks too. Oh, alright, in a month then, got it. Love to everyone.”

 

I check my baby over one more time and then snicker at an impatient where is it text from Emmett. “Jeez, hope you display more patience in bed!” I chuckle, then click and hit send.

 

EMMETT’S HOUSE

 

STUDY

 

EMMETT

 

“Finally! It's rude to keep a lady waiting like that!” I grumble, and open the picture. “Oh my goodness, that is gorgeous! And I know just the person to tell about it…”

 

See the source image

 

I don’t have to wait long for him to call me. “...no, I don’t know where she got it from, Brian!” I chuckle at his keenness. “Give her a call, but whatever you do, don’t mention it tonight...oh, you don’t know? Michael is coming, blame Ted!” I hold the phone away from my ear glowering. “No, I won’t be there, am taking Georgie to Paris. Well, no, he doesn’t, that’s the surprise part…” I sigh and know he is right. “...okay, let me move the flights.”

 

KINNETIC - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

TED’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

“How could you have been so stupid?!” I thunder at him. His eyes widen and he flinches. “I am sorry…”

 

“No, it is deserved…”

 

“Damn right it is, I was apologising for the loudness of voice. After his cruelty to her over her folks, as a matter of interest, why doesn’t she just can…” I stop and roll my neck to release the tension. “...he will be over like the concerned friend?”

 

“Of course he will!” Ted snaps back unwisely, taking my sigh as forgiveness. “But we are more than a match for him, and now there is no Ben to referee…”

 

“I like the way you think.” I smirk at my long time friend. “So no more blabber mouthing?” I switch my anger back on and he nods quickly. “I mean it, Ted, I will fire you, then cut your dick off and…”

 

“No more Kinney promises!” He looks a little queasy. “I am hopefully on a promise tonight!”

 

Cyn grins then elbows me gently. “Come on, stand down, he’s this close to being deflowered…”

 

“I am not a virgin!” Ted shrieks indignantly.

 

“True, but you are almost sealed shut. Sometimes I wonder how you shit!”

 

“How is that standing down?!” Cyn growls, elbowing me harder.

 

“By me ending the conversation now!” I snap, and storm out, slamming the door behind me. As I reach my office, I start to calm down a little and then feel guilty. I am about to send him an apology email when one comes through from my neophyte. I snicker as, at the same time, one pops up from my personal trainer. I read that first and put the times in my diary.

 

Ten minutes later, Ted is stifling his laughter after he rushed to my aid and found me with a sopping wet crotch, having dropped the glass of iced water in my lap, causing me to scream like a fishwife.

 

“Dare I ask what caused the screaming?” He pulls out dry pants from the closet.

 

“That!” I point at the screen and he gasps at the image. “How is he doing that?!”

 

“This has to be photoshopped!” He peers intently then adjusts the image. “Or he was trained by Otgo Waller…”

 

“Are you two friends again?” Cyn hands me more napkins. “What are you gawking at?” She comes to look at the screen. For a few seconds silence reigns before she clears her throat. “Uh, does he have his…”

 

“Dick in his mouth? Yeah, he does.”

 

“Lucky bastard!” Ted grumbles before resetting the image and walking out.

 

“In answer to your question, yes we have…” I give a sly smile. “...this means that I will be taking my pissoffedness out on Michael’s mangy ass!”

 

“Good!” Ted declares as he comes back in with his tie on. “And since we have Ardent in ten minutes, I can too take my annoyance at myself out on someone!”

 

“What have Ardent done?” I pull on my jacket. They aren’t one of our favourite clients, fussy but incredibly loyal...stuck with us from the start.

 

“Sent David the Dullman Cameron to the meeting!”

 

My heart sinks to my boots. “By the way, who is Otga Waller?” I reluctantly close the email, but not before sending it to my personal address.

 

“Contortionist from Mongolia.” He titters. “Contact picture?” I nod. “I would tell him to call…” He stops to look through the agenda and burst out laughing. “...at 3.00pm, just when he starts to talk about projections and turnover.”

 

“Hold on…” I connect the call. “...hello, you naughty little minx. I am impressed, would be even more impressed if I could see that live. What are you doing at three?”

 

As we head into the conference, I fume about the one memory getting shot did not eradicate...the most boring sex of my life. The Dullman lived up to his name! I take great pleasure in denying having sex with him every time we meet, blaming my mugging memory, much to his annoyance...and, speaking of annoyance, I have a great idea!

 

MICHAEL'S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

BARNABUS MITCHELL

 

I feel the familiar stirring as his head bobs up and down. “Stop. Condom. On your knees.” He almost throws it at my head he is so eager. I snap it on and enter him. He hisses as if he wasn’t quite ready, but I know better. This is how we like it. “Are you sure this time?” I growl as I thrust.

 

“Yes!” He pants. “It...oh god..,will happen!”

 

“Good! Yes!” I cry out both in pleasure and relief that the comic is going to fruition.

 

“Oh Barney!” He bellows, before almost falling on his face. He grins over his shoulder at me. “And even better, when I introduce you to Ben...what?”

 

I rub his back and withdraw, then dispose of the condom. “You know, if he doesn’t come back to you, I won’t change my ways. No apologies and…”

 

“No regrets. You and Brian have that mantra down pat.” He rolls onto his back and blows me a kiss. “I could not believe someone who looks like you is into comics. But yeah, I know you will do what you want. But since I will be back with Ben and understand, I am fine with it. I have always wondered why you go after men in relationships though.”

 

“I like the clandestine nature and the power of oneupmanship, especially if I ever meet the other guy…and looking like I do, some even try it with me.” I chuckle then stretch. “Naturally, I succumbed to their requests…”

 

“You screwed both of them at the same time?! Where’d you find the strength.”

 

“I was a cop, remember? Had to be physically fit.” I ponder for a while. “I wasn’t going to talk to you the other day you know?”

 

“Why not? It wasn’t my fault! Brian reneged on both promises because he said he was drunk at the time! When Ben backed him instead of me I was livid.”

 

I stroke his thigh and he moans. “True, and then he almost gets killed…”

 

“Did you ever find out anything else, or was it written off as a mugging gone wrong?”

 

“No. Well I presume not, I left soon after, remember? Bet Brian squared up and ran his mouth, he was known to be mouthy before…”

 

“Yes he was, and I bet he did.” Michael looks at his watch, which he always takes off when we meet and I snort and get a knowingly smiles. “Habit, had to keep to time after all. Ben is such a stickler for punctuality, though that rule only applied to me!”

 

“Brian is his best friend, you were his lover. Of course the rules are different.”

 

“I will be his lover again. Now go and start the shower, it won't take me long to straighten up the place.”

 

MICHAEL

 

It took about five minutes to get the lounge back in order. I chuckle to myself as I head upstairs to join him. I loved having him on the side when I was with Ben, I considered it a bit of payback for the three of us in our relationship, him, me and Brian. I look forward to getting payback for that again.

 

EMERALD & PEARL - EVENING

 

LEDA

 

I take the strawberry vodka off of a nervy Mercy and signal for a dry rhubarb fizz. She looks rueful, “Just imagine he is a film deal and be that woman!” I chide her, and she scowls. “Be the woman who thought up this menu...foods that your former whatevers hated but you loved…” This raises a sly smile. “...hey, sweetheart!” I call out as Mel makes her way over. “Talk her up, please!”

 

“Strap on a pair and jump him, that okay?” Mel scrunches her nose up, which I duly pinch.

 

“Okay, enough you two!” Mercy grumbles with a grin and looks shyly at Mel’s tummy.

 

“For goodness sake, rub for good luck then!” I demand. “So where are we all strategically placed?”

 

"Over there, it’s semi private. And we can use the patio.” She turns and points to the place that Mel and I first met, and we all grin.

 

Tomorrow The Jane in Antwerp will open its doors: the new restaurant of Sergio Herman and Nick Bril. When they announced in

 

“Here’s hoping that some of the luck of the...oh shit!” Her face falls as, who could only be Michael knocks on the window and waves. “I had hoped…”

 

“Mercy, you’ve a call. It’s Mexico!” Jambo, the barman, calls out. “It’s VC!”

 

“You’ve got hope in the form of us.” Mel whispers, and she almost vaults across the bar.

 

“Mercy, wait!” Is called out, but she closes the door. “Can you let me behind? I need to speak to Mercy, I’m Michael, her best friend.” He looks us up and down with a smug smile.

 

“Excuse me, Michael, just need to hit the bathroom.” His friend interrupts, and walks off.

 

“She’s on a VC call, and…” Jumbo begins.

 

“She won’t mind. I want to...”

 

“We mind.” I interrupt. “As her business partners and best friends, we most definitely mind someone we don’t know going back there. So...I suggest you take a seat over there…” I gesture to the opposite end of the bar.

 

“I have known her for years, and she has never mentioned anyone called…” He pauses but we say nothing. “...this is where you…” He stops again and stares at the door. “Actually, my friends are here, so I am going to join them. Enjoy the rest of your evening.” He sniffs and then smiles when Ben approaches the bar. He is also smiling.

 

“Hey, you gorgeous thing, how have you been?” Ben asks, and Michael smiles wider but that drops off his face when Ben leans across the bar to kiss Jumbo’s cheek.

 

“Great, darling.” Jumbo reciprocates. “Brian said he and Justin are on their way, said to get the usual.”

 

Michael’s eyes blaze and a small tick jumps in his cheek.

 

“Oh, Merc won't be long. Hey, Debs! Vic! Long time no see!” Jumbo calls out, and Mel winks at me.

 

“Long time no see?! Since when do you two know this place?!” Michael looks between the two of them.

 

“We’ve been members since it opened.” Vic answers. “Who has the humidor?”

 

“Got it...this is where we are sitting.” Ben declares over his shoulder as he walks away, they soon follow.

 

“You ready, gorgeous?” I ask her as she comes back with a smile, seems like she’s been caught up.

 

MICHAEL

 

“Wow, Mercy! Anyone would think you were on a date and not just having drinks with work colleagues!” I exclaim as she joins us on this side of the bar. “Come on, let’s sit down then.” I take Mercy’s arm, but she pulls away from me. “Are you alright?”

 

“I do have a date, and they’re not just work colleagues, they are also my friends.” She replies, then grins when Brian comes in with Justin. “Gang’s all here.”

 

“There you are, Michael, you could've waited for me to come back. I have been looking all over for you.” Barney grumbles and then smiles at Mercy. “You have got to be Mercy. Michael has told me all about you. I’m Barnabus.” She has a frown marring her face. “You okay there?”

 

“Yeah, nice to…” Her frown deepens. “...I have seen you before, but can't quite place where.”

 

“I have one of those faces I guess. I would certainly remember meeting you before.” He holds out his hand and she slowly shakes it before looking at his watch. “It's nice, isn't it? Friend gave it to me. So, Michael, are you going to introduce me to your other friends?”

 

“He doesn't have any here, well barely. And I would prefer it if you and Michael sat away from us.” Ben almost hisses. “You are not going to ruin Mercy’s date, Michael...”

 

“Ben, I was invited.” I interrupt his clearly jealous rant.

 

“The invite needs to come from someone other than you.” Ben snaps, and gets up so she can sit down. “Ah, he’s here. Well, off you go, Michael, you and your not-so-new fuckbuddy can sit elsewhere.”

 

“Not so…”

 

“Uh, guys, can you have this fight later?” Mercy interjects.

 

I turn to see who she is looking at and then turn back to her. “Him? Mercy, you can’t be serious?! Why the hell would you want to date Caleb?!”

 

“Because, Michael, he’s as fit as a butcher’s dog.” She looks him up and down. “And, I hear, hung like a horse.”

 

“Mercy, have some decorum!” I bite out, horrified by her obvious behaviour. “You’ve been spending far too much time with Brian I think…”

 

“George! Emmett! Thought you…”

 

“Dinner plans changed!” Emmett cuts Mercy off, and she smirks before getting such a weird look on her face then excusing herself.

 

GEORGE

 

“Um, Caleb, I hate to tell you this, but I think your date with Mercy is over before it began.” Michael doesn't bother to hide his glee.

 

“One second.” I pat Caleb’s arm and follow where she went; I find her pacing in her office. “Mercy, you can't seriously be thinking of cancelling this…”

 

“A year. I watched him for a year before I approached. The only thing I don't know about Brian Kinney is what goes on in his head.”

 

“Mercy?”

 

“I took in every minute detail of the man. Even found the thread count in his socks.” She stops pacing when the door knocks and Ben comes in. “Has he gone? Caleb, I mean.”

 

“No, but he, like us, is a little confused by your sudden departure. Can I tell him you are coming back?”

 

“Yes. Five minutes tops.” Ben nods and then leaves us. “George, Barnabus is wearing his watch.”

 

“Right, and why shouldn't he?”

 

“Who gave it to him? Who is this friend?”

 

“Mercy, you are not making sense. His friend gave him a watch which he wears. Him doing so should not elicit this response.” She hands me her phone, and on the screen is a picture of Brian. “Okay, what exactly am I supposed to be noticing?”

 

“Brian is wearing a Belgink. They are very exclusive. For a base model we are talking $4K, without customisation.”

 

“Uh huh.”

 

“George, Barnabus is wearing Brian’s watch.”



 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.