- Text Size +

CHAPTER 2 – SETTING UP THE CHESS BOARD


DAPHNE

 

“Stop ogling my boyfriend!” The annoying prick behind us is now at the side of the booth glaring at Chris, who just rolls his eyes and gives me the drink up signal, so I nod and grab Justin’s case.

 

 

“Please don’t leave, there is more to tell.” Marilyn pleads and slowly we sit back down.

 

 

“Don’t you have a boyfriend to guard?!” Chris snaps and cracks his knuckles.

 

 

“Michael, you are once again making a show of yourself! Come and sit down and leave the kids alone, he’s not ogling Ben!” The redhead snaps and comes over to us. “Sorry about him...” She shoves him to get him to go back to his booth. “…he’s a bit of a drama queen.”

 

 

“I am not!” He grouses as he sits back down and judging by the expression on Chris’s face, he is still staring at him.

 

 

“Why don’t you two sit with your back to us? That way I don’t have to look at your ugly mug and you don’t have to watch the ogling that is only going on in your head!”

 

 

“Look buddy! I don’t know who you think you are but…”

 

 

Chris getting to his feet makes Marilyn smile. “You don’t, so why not just shut the fuck up and leave us grown-ups to talk! I think we should leave Daph. If Marilyn wants to talk some more sh…he can come with us but that guy is beginning to piss me off!”

 

 

“Yes, let’s go to my office. Emmett are you coming?!”

 

 

“Absolutely!”

 

 

“Mari, use the office, don’t be run out because…”

 

 

“No thanks Debs. We will be going. Learn to muzzle that boy.” He tells her and waves the three of us ahead.

 

 

“Let me take that from you sweetie.” Emmett reaches for the case. “That way Chris can hold your hand.”

 

 

“Oh for crying out loud!” I hand him the case. “Okay let’s just hold hands so that the Mills and Boon crew can get off and move on!” I snark and hold out my hand, with a roll of his eyes he takes it then we look at Marilyn. “So where are we going?”

 

 

BRIAN’S LOFT - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


“I don’t know why I said that.” I tell him quietly, it’s the first words either of us have spoken since we left the diner.


“Seemed to be the right thing?” He suggests and I nod. “Brian.”


“Justin.”


“Oh I should say thank you, I guess.” He lets out a small laugh before rolling his lips in. “For staying with me.”


“It’s okay, I do it every day. In between studying and busking, I save lives of beautiful men. You look well, I mean, since the last time I saw you.”


“Yep. You have grown up, less babyfaced.”


“Thanks!” I snort in mock indignation. “This babyface is 21!”


“So you were 17. Wow...Why were you out so late and why...”


“Busking. And why did I visit?” He nods. “Dunno just did.” I scrutinise his face and if anything he has got more beautiful. “Can I see it?” He lifts his hair and I move so I can see the entry wound. He has covered it with a sun tattoo, it glints through his hair. “How long before you were...”


“Back to normal? About two years.” He scrutinises my face the same way I did his. “33. And I didn’t imagine it did I?”


I shake my head and feel my face start to heat. “I couldn’t just leave and do nothing. I wasn’t taking advantage of you, just the situation. Which sounds even worse! What I meant....”


“...is that I owe you.” He turns to face me. “At least two.” I am sure he can hear my heart banging against my ribs. When his fingers lift my chin up and then touch my bottom lip, I feel like I am going to explode. “Payment now?”


“Please.” I mutter and lean forward and as our lips touch, I know it was the right thing to say.


DINER - SAME TIME


MICHAEL


I pick at my food and wait for Ma to box up Brian's lunch. I look at my watch again, I should give him an hour. “Ma, what is taking so long?!” I call out.


“For what?” She calls back while keeping an eye on the coffee she is pouring.


“Brian's lunch.” I retort. “He needs to keep up his strength.”


“Ben took it. Said he would drop it off at Kinnetic.”


“He could’ve told me that!” I grumble and throw down my fork before snatching up the bill. “Did he settle this?” I wave it at her.


“Said you would.” She smirks. “Remember my tip.”


I shake my head and put down some money and then head back towards the store, calling Ben on the way. He takes a while to pick up. “Ben, where are you? Have you...oh you’ve just dropped it off. It’s just that I was going to do it.” I unlock the store and flip the sign. “So what did he say? Was he back? What do you mean no? How long does it take to have a fumble up an alleyway?! Look never mind, I have a customer. Will I see you tonight? Okay later tater...oh for fuck sake, sorry I’m sorry, okay?! Are you sure you’re okay? Right bye.”


I put the phone down on the counter and stretch. I am about to head to flip the sign back, so I can go to Kinnetic when a guy comes in. “Are you still open?”


“Door’s unlocked and I’m here so, uh yeah.” I retort.


“Well aren’t you charming? I will seek the answer elsewhere!” He snaps and storms out.


“Fuck you!” I snap at the closed door and take that opportunity to quickly lock the door.


Picking up my phone I head to the office and check through my emails. The shipment won’t be in until tomorrow so I might as well remain closed.


I think briefly back to my conversation with Ben and feel a bit guilty about later tater, but not that much. They are just words, yeah so they were the last words Brian said to him before he got shot, but he’s still here. Ben being so sensitive about their use is silly, it's not as if he is suffering from PTSD, if anyone is the drama queen it is him!


MARILYN’S HOUSE OF LOVE AND MAGIC - TEN MINUTES LATER


CHRIS


“He’ll be here soon, I’m…”


“Chris, calm down. These streets can be labyrinth like to those who haven’t been here.” Marilyn smiles and Emmett is just staring at me. “What?”


“You realise that every time you two come here we are going to badger you to kiss until you do. We will know when you have, so you might as well do it now, so we can gauge your technique and her response.”


“Now just a second Mills!” Daphne exclaims. “Holding hands is one thing but…”


“...4th grade, is when you first saw her, then you moved and only reconnected in high school. You didn’t have to go to CMU but you did. As for you, Miss Repudiation you like him a lot. Want me to tell him about that card that…”


“That was you? Thought it was Cara, what a relief! I…”


“See we are just friends. Very good ones and…”


“Hello! Chris! Daphne! Justin! Are you here?! Are you okay?!” Mr Taylor shouts as he rushes through the curtains in full on protect mode. “Where is Justin?! Shall I get Molly?!”


“Mr Taylor, we’re fine. Justin is with Brian, the guy from the hospital.” Daph starts to get teary again and I find a tissue for her.


“The guy from the…” He sits down. “...what happened to the guy now?”


“Nothing. They just found each other again. I am Marilyn and this my sooth and scribe in all things love, when he is not being fashion director to the elite, Emmett Honeycutt.”


“Nice to meet you both. Craig Taylor.” They shake hands. “So this Brian, where does he live? Did Justin drive here?”


“Tremont and yes he did. He’s been parking under the loft without knowing, it wasn't time. Neither were ready and now they are and…” Emmett begins to weep and I find him a tissue too.


“Before you start from the beginning.” Mr Taylor sighs. “First let me tell you what I know, four years ago Justin was busking around here and he heard a noise, like a struggle and then a couple of gunshots, I was a…”


“Cop, yes we know, you now run a very successful security business.” Marilyn interrupts and smiles, like he’s proud. “Continue.”


“Yes, well anyway, he finds this guy and stays with him, he could’ve left him at the hospital but he felt compelled to stay, like to keep him company. Visited all the time he could, then he found a bit more about the...about Brian, about him being gay and the…”


“...police writing it off as a hate crime with no further leads...” Marilyn grouses.


“That is utter bullshit, someone targeted him, maybe a mugging gone wrong but I digress. He came home and came out, just like that. So proud. Not gonna lie took a bit of getting used to, always thought that he and Daph would one day...but now I see it is her and Chris, if they would just get a move on!


“And he doesn’t have the power like we do!” Emmett crows.


“Okay…” He looks between the two of us. “...seriously just get it together! So back to Justin, he kept visiting but then Brian was discharged to rehab and he never saw him again.”


“Until today.” Daph grins then leans across and kisses me on the cheek. “That is all the show you are getting. Now tell us about Brian!”


“Ah now Brian, there is a talented man! His memory is slowly coming back, he’s got an eidetic one and can draw like a dream. This is why he is one of the most in demand film artists in the world. Started Kinnetic but then after what happened he lets Ted, my best and dearest, and Cynthia run it and he does what he wants.”


“Which does include fucking whosoever will let him. But he is not unfeeling, those who come across his path are told from the get go what to expect. However, in Justin, he has found his Siren.” Marilyn explains as Daph and Mr Taylor look worried. “And when he has had relationships, he was faithful.”


“So now what do we do?” I ask and quickly let go of Daph’s hand but she takes mine back.


“You go home. Brian will get Justin back safely.” Marilyn smiles.


KINNETIC - AN HOUR LATER


RECEPTION


MICHAEL


I drum my fingers on the arm of the chair. “Mr Novotny?” Caleb, the receptionist calls out. “We’ve heard from Brian, he is not coming back in to the office.”


“I am pretty sure he wouldn't want you to call him by his first name.” I bite out and grab my jacket.


“And I am sure having worked with Brian for the last four years, and his first words to me were; my late fucker of a father was Mr Kinney and I am not him, call me Brian, that he is fine with it. Any message?”


“No.” I snarl and storm out fuming not only that I didn’t get to check on Brian but Ben took his lunch with him when he found out he was out fucking in some grubby alleyway, in no doubt, an even grubbier hole!


MARILYN’S HOUSE OF LOVE AND MAGIC - TEN MINUTES LATER


MARILYN


I close the door behind them and heave a sigh of relief, I take a few seconds to savour the quiet.


“So what do we do?” Emmett drapes himself across the chaise.


“We wait and help where we need to but that’s all.”


“So who else do we have to work on?” He grins as he nods.


“Vic needs to meet Rodney, Debs and Jennifer need to become friends and…”


“I had no idea they swung that way, just goes to show…”


“They don’t. But Jennifer knows Carl, so that’s how they meet and then there is Ted, are you sure about this chap?”


“Yes. Absolutely.” He checks his watch and starts to gather his things. “Right have to get back, Gucci does not wait for love! Oh that reminds me, I must book Brian and Ben in for their fitting.” He grimaces. “Do not understand that pairing, just don’t get it.”


“We don’t have to understand it, we just need to get them to where they need to be and our players are in place. There are more players coming...at least two.”


“Okay, see you Maz!”


I grimace at his nickname for me and as usual he avoids my swat and closes the door whistling.

 

I can finally breathe...oh yes our players are almost all here in this chess game of love and revenge. I know what you did and I have the people here that can prove it! Your move Dirty Harry, your move!

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.