- Text Size +

CHAPTER 25 - ...AND HERE ARE THE MIRRORS

 

BARNEY’S HOUSE - THREE DAYS LATER, AFTERNOON

 

BARNEY

 

I grab my coat and am about to head out the front when I think better of it. I decide to go out the back way. Thankful that he was so hellbent on the fuck and the comic that he never bothered to look around when he came over. He only saw the lounge and the bathroom. We never did it in the bedroom. He wanted to do it in places that Ben wouldn’t, according to him, but I don’t believe that now.

 

As I head to meet Hunter and Caleb, my mind is cast back to when Kinney was shot. I had just handed in my resignation, finally. Craven was earning me enough money not to work that much. Oh, his face when he realised exactly who I am was perfection! He thought I was just a hot guy that could draw well. I had said to him a few times why don’t I just do the comic with him, but oh no he wanted Kinney to do it. And only Kinney. More fool him.

 

I freeze as a horn beeps, then the car speeds up. “Hey, Barnabus, it’s us! Come on, get in!” Hunter yells out; I smile in relief and slide into the back seat.

 

“Right, did you manage to get hold of the report?” Caleb asks, smirking.

 

“I did, and what’s that smile for?”

 

“Ben got chatty.” Caleb laughs. “So how fast was fast?”

 

“Very.” I snort. “He barely rinsed his dick. I have never seen a man look so relieved when it was just the two of us.”

 

“You made a return visit? That is not what Brian would’ve done.”

 

“Oh no, definitely not. He went out for condoms...”

 

“So how did you three actually hook up?” Hunter squirms. “Was the other guy at least good looking? And hung?”

 

“The first time or for the actual threesome? Um, yes, and kinda.” I frown at the report.

 

“First time? And how can he be kinda hung?”

 

“Grower not a shower. As for how we met…”

 

Start of flashback

PILSNER BAR, SHADYSIDE - THREE YEARS AGO

 

BARNEY

 

I make my way over to Michael and my confusion deepens; first as to why we are meeting in this side of town, and, secondly, who the guy is. I sit down and wait for them to notice me...but they are having a deep conversation about the banes of their lives. For Michael I know it is Brian - he goes on at length - if he thinks that I don’t know he wants Brian badly, then he is an idiot, but he’s an idiot who does give very good head.

 

“Barney, hello babe!” Michael throws his arm around my shoulders and kisses my cheek, he stinks of booze. “This is my new friend! He and I have a lot in common! We both are stuck with people muscling in where they’re not supposed to!”

 

“How do you know each other? Oh, my name is…” He turns away to check someone out and I miss it. When he turns back, he gives me the once over and smiles. “...so how?”

 

“I’m his side-screw.” Michael blenches slightly. “What? I am. You have a boyfriend.” I signal the barman. “Cognac straight please.”

 

“Oh the irony of that line!” Michael chortles.

 

“So who are you two bitches beefing about?” I ask to stop Michael from trying to be humorous.

 

“Ben’s beastly bestie and some blonde himbette pitch stealing shit!” Michael carps.

 

“Who’s Ben’s beastly bestie again?” The guy asks after once again ignoring my request for his name.

 

“Brian. Brian Kinney, the Stud of Liberty Avenue! Fucks anything with a dick, well mostly, and…”

 

“Oh, the no repeats guy. Have heard of him. He’s supposed to be one heck of a fuck and hot to boot!”

 

“He is and he is.” I smirk, and Michael blinks at me. “What? Where’d you think I learned?” I have to admit that was a lie. Brian would've turned me down flat, but it’s nice to have one up on him!

 

“So he taught you everything you know?” The guy smiles at me. “Ethan.”

 

“Ethan. Interesting name. Does it come with another?” I counter.

 

“It does, but you don't need to scream my full name, just Ethan will do.”

 

“Uh...what is going on?” Michael looks between the two of us then gasps as Ethan slides his hand up my thigh. “I have always wanted to…”

 

“Wanted to what?” Ethan leans across and kisses Michael’s cheek. He gulps.

 

“They've always said nothing has hap...happened like that between them, but I know they are more than best friends…” His eyes are locked onto Ethan's stroking hand. “So can we? I know he has had more than one threesome…”

 

I reach for my drink and drain it. “Come on boys…”

 

HOTEL ROOM - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

“How do you not have any?!” Michael whines.

 

“Met someone on the way...used the last one I had. Now stop whining and go get some more!” I order, and open the door. “I saw a pharmacy a block from here…”

 

Michael sprints out, and as soon as the door is shut I am pressed against it with Ethan’s mouth glued to mine. Not that I mind kissing, but he needs to slow down. It is like being attacked by an excitable puppy! I push him back slightly and he looks confused. “Problem?”

 

“We’ve got the room for the night, no need to rush.” I kiss him and he starts to relax; his technique improves and slowly our hands start to wander. We’ve been kissing and grinding against each other for almost half an hour, when he pulls his mouth away and groans into my neck. “Did you enjoy that?” I chuckle as he pants through to the end.

 

“A bit…” He snickers and lifts his head. “...did you?” I nod slowly then frown, looking at my watch. I jostle him off me then reach for my phone. “Michael, where are you? The pharmacy is only a block away...oh, I see. Well, that’s what happens when you’re in a relationship. No...we haven’t done anything…” I wink at him and he winks back. “...yeah, I am sure we’d both be up for that whenever you can get away…”

End of flashback

 

“And when was the whenever?” Hunter pulls up by the alley.

 

“Months later. Okay, boys, let’s go see what we can find.” I order, and step out of the car. “Kinney was shot this end of the alley…Justin said he heard three shots. According to Carl, two hit him, so where is the other one?”

 

“Justin also said that he felt something on his face, sharp…” Caleb flicks on his torch. “...maybe, ugh...bone from the exit wound?”

 

“No. Definitely not bone.” Hunter is staring at the wall, his torch on full beam. “Fragments.”

 

“Fragments from what?” Caleb shines his torch where Hunter’s is and we are incredulous. “I believe that is a bullet hole.”

 

“We can’t have got that lucky?! Surely not?!” I exclaim, pulling out a penknife and digging into the hole. “Bag!” I whisper and carefully drop a perfectly preserved bullet into it.

 

PETERSON’S SILVER SCREEN

 

SCREEN ROOM - MORNING, TWO DAYS LATER

 

LINDSAY

 

I sigh as yet again, Michael and Ethan are again at loggerheads over each other’s vision!

 

“How is that not dramatic enough?!” Ethan snaps as they listen to the music and watch the screen. I have to say that Ethan has a point; it is perfect for this scene. For all his huffing and puffing about everything film, Michael actually doesn’t know that much, and considering how he hung around so much with his best friend, I am surprised.

 

“Look, can you two stop arguing for one minute and let me speak? Now, Michael, I like this scene as is and that’s final. What are you doing in here anyway? Shouldn’t you be finessing the script in your office?”

 

“Yes, but as part of this, don’t I have an opinion on anything? Besides, I want to discuss my comic with you, and…”

 

“Oh, that reminds me, now that I am well enough to continue, I shall go onto the next phase of my plan to bring this to the world. I am going to be rescheduling a meeting with Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor to…”

 

“What?!” They both exclaim.

 

“Michael, I said that I would be getting Brian and Justin to work on this for me, and with my husband’s unfortunate demise; perhaps they...”

 

“No! I am not going to work with him!” Ethan explodes, and both Michael and I look confused.

 

“Do you know Brian?” Michael frowns.

 

“Not personally, but have heard of him and his work ethic. We would be totally incompatible!”

 

“But he’s the best artist there is, and…” I begin.

 

“And then of course his distraction!” Michael gripes.

 

“Distract...oh, you mean Justin.” I laugh as I remember their hungry looks at each other at Emerald & Pearl. “Well, you have to admit he is a beautiful young man.”

 

Michael scowls and then turns back to Ethan. “He’s Brian’s hero and latest toy.”

 

“Michael!” I gasp at the nastiness of that remark. “There is no…”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Justin saved his life when he was shot almost two years ago, and he is ever so grateful now that they have reconnected!”

 

“Anybody would think you are jealous, Michael!” Ethan taunts him. “I would like to meet this Justin…”

 

“I am surprised you haven’t since you went to the same college. Well, I think you did, won’t be a minute…” I head to my office and quickly grab his personnel file. I am taken aback when I read it properly, as in my haste to get someone I just chose from the top ten students in the music programme. “...you knew my late husband, Ethan? As in your took his maths class.”

 

“Yes. I didn’t want to say anything, just in case…”

 

“That’s very kind of you.” I murmur.  “In fact, you and Justin were in his maths class before Justin moved to another class.”

 

“He must have moved before I joined the class. And, speaking of class, I need to get to the other part of my life. I will see you tomorrow!” He collects his things and sweeps out.

 

“Why have we got him again? He doesn’t seem to be all that invested in it.”

 

“Michael. Please go and finesse the script, while I worry about staff issues!”

 

He slams the door as he storms out.

 

ETHAN’S APARTMENT - AFTERNOON

 

KITCHEN

 

ETHAN

 

My hand trembles as I reach for the glass. Think rationally, there is no way that they saw you in the dark! My one saving grace is that James is dead, a rather fortuitous accident. I could not believe the stupidity of the man, he asked me to take care of anybody that showed an interest in Justin and I was doing a fine job, until of course Kinney spotted him.

 

I heard him talking to his friends about how much he was going to nail that cute ass! When I told James, he was determined to get to Justin first and told me to do whatever was necessary for Kinney to stay away from him. And I tried, I tried to keep Justin away from his usual pitches so Kinney couldn’t see him and hoped he would lose interest, but I hadn’t factored in the brattiness that is Justin Taylor. He would keep turning up to play his music, and that just so happened to be opposite Woody’s or Babylon! The domains of the Stud.

 

So, of course James felt that some heavier hinting was called for, and decided that if the Stud was somehow incapacitated or distracted then that would be fine. I volunteered to be the sacrificial lamb as it were, only to be laughed out of the stall! I can still feel the burning humiliation as he swayed on his feet, stoned out of his mind, and just said nope, not now, not sober, not ever! And then puked on my shoes!

 

Two days later I got my revenge, now all I have to do is hope that his memory doesn’t come back...or I will finish the job. But first things first, to get that watch back off of Michael...I do like to keep my trophies!

 

JUSTIN AND CHRIS’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

KITCHEN

 

JUSTIN

 

We have just finished a lovely make out session and are now parched, a man can’t live on saliva alone. “What do you mean why did I keep moving about?”

 

“Outside Babylon and Woody’s…” He says over his shoulder as he makes coffee. “...I...I used to see you every…” He shakes his head and closes his eyes; I hold my breath as he concentrates. “...every Tuesday and Thursday evening…”

 

“Yeah, I played there every week. But there was a guy who kept trying to steal my spot…” I feel his fingers brush away a tear. “...is...is it coming back?”

 

“Slowly, I think it is. I need to speak to my doctor.”

 

“Whenever you go, I am coming with you.”

 


Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing