- Text Size +

CHAPTER 29 - LIVID IN LONDON, PERPLEXED AND PISSED IN PITTSBURGH

 

DEBS

 

Everyone is still and quiet. I walk around the sofa and kneel down in front of Mercy, who I have come to see, no we have come to see, as our daughter and niece - a distant one, but still daughter and niece. I take her hand and a deep breath.

 

“Mercy, he is many things, including vindictive and vitriolic when he gets the bit between his teeth…”

 

“I know! I have been on the receiving end of it most of our childhood, and I use the word loosely, friendship!” She tries to pull her hands out of mine but I won’t let her. “He only admitted he made that call to my folks when he knew that I knew!”

 

“Sis, you have to see what she is seeing and hearing. He had no problem making that call, knowing the pain she was in, because he couldn’t collect the Oscar. He blames them for taking her away from him and for being dead!”

 

“I know! I know!” I sob. “And I know you, Mercy! You will end him if it is him!”

 

“By end, I mean to make him pay for what he did by pressing charges! I won’t end him in the way you fear, Aunt Debs, give me some fucking credit and humanity, which is more than your son does sometimes!” This time she does snatch her hands out of mine, and in her haste to get away, vaults over the sofa to stand by the door, her chest heaving. “And you always did that! You always discounted what he said when we were kids, which was fine then but don’t pull that shit now that we’re grown ups! Besides, it’s not as if we are talking about a little bit of stress that these calls caused. He drove into the path of a bus because he was trying to end that fucking call. They died because of that!”

 

“I’m sorry!” I wail, and try to approach but she shakes her head backing up. “Look, I’ll go back to Pittsburgh and…”

 

“No you won’t!” She snaps. “I am pissed off with what you said, but you’re not leaving, just leave me alone for a bit, I need to calm down!”

 

I jolt as she slams the door shut then look around at astonished faces. “I know I have monumentally screwed up.”

 

“Damn right you have!” Carl snarls at me and heads to the door. “Hopefully this is fixable, but don’t be surprised if it isn’t!”

 

PETERSON SILVER SCREEN - EARLY AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY'S OFFICE

 

ETHAN

 

Michael and I are not speaking, which is fine by me, but I do feel sorry for Lindsay as she has had to listen to him bleat about his teeth!

 

“So are you ready?” She asks, her fingers poised to dial; when I nod she plasters a smile on her face. “Comes across in your voice if you smile.” She whispers and puts it on speaker.

 

“Good afternoon, George Schickel’s office, this is Cheryl how may I help you?”

 

“Yes, I wonder can you? This is Lindsay Peterson of Peterson Silver Screen, would it be possible to speak to Mr Schickel?”

 

“I am sorry but he is out of the country at the moment and not expected back until Monday. May I take a message?”

 

“Monday, I see. Well, I have an item of his that came into my possession by accident…”

 

“And…”

 

“I would like to return it and explain its condition.”

 

“And this would be?”

 

“A watch. It is his Belgink, with the Fireland inscription on it, and it has been damaged.”

 

“I see. One moment, please hold.” We frown at each other and the music comes on. “Are you still there?”

 

“Uh, yes, what is…”

 

“Transferring you to his legal representative.”

 

“His legal…”

 

“Melanie Marcus speaking. How did the watch come to be in (a) your possession, and (b) damaged, Mrs Peterson-Dixon?” She raps out.

 

“Mel? What are you…”

 

“Answer the questions, and also tell me where you are currently located so that the watch can be retrieved from your possession!”

 

I fume at that attorney-tone she knows I hate. “I would rather speak to George, and…”

 

“Mr Schickel has empowered me to deal with things in his absence. Now, Mrs Peterson-Dixon…”

 

“It is Peterson, I am a widow. James died in a car accident, he was drunk, I was just grateful he didn't take anyone else with him.” I pause and wait for her condolences. “Are you still there?” I demand as the silence stretches on.

 

“Yes. I am sure that is a great comfort to you. Ah, thanks, Cheryl. So we can collect the watch from your studios, this is where you are calling from?”

 

I am rendered speechless by her coldness.

 

“Excuse me, I am Ethan Gold, I work with Ms Peterson.”

 

“And this has what to do with you?”

 

Ethan's eye widen at her brusque tone. “I broke the watch. So I want to pay for it to be repaired and to explain to George how that…”

 

“Ethan Gold you said? And you broke the watch? Can you send a picture of it to me, please?”

 

“Uh, yeah. What's your…”

 

“It's okay, Ethan, I can give you her number.” I interrupt briskly. “To your work cell or private?”

 

“Neither of those numbers are in service. So you don't have my number, you have nothing of mine at all. Mr Gold, may I take yours?”

 

“Uh, yeah, 412-917-2896.”

 

“Thank you. I have just sent you a text, please respond with the photo in the next five minutes. I have to make another call, I shall put you on hold.” Before we can say anything else, music fills the air and fuels the fire of my anger.

 

“What's her problem with you?” Ethan asks, lowering the volume of the phone.

 

“She's still bitter about our break-up…”

 

“Break-up?! Never had you down as bi!” He shakes his head. “Really thought you were straight...”

 

“She is neither bi nor straight...she's an in-denial lesbian, but she’s free of the constraints of marriage now.” Mel’s scornful voice fills the air. “How did you celebrate your widowhood by the way? And when do you come out and surprise nobody at all?”

 

“Melanie! That was callous and a gross invasion of my privacy to divulge…”

 

“Ah-ah-ah...I didn't put that in the public domain, you did by insinuating that I am still in some thrall over you. Since I am expecting my first child, with no meddling and jealous hindrances and very happily married, I merely clarified the situation. Now, Mr Gold, I have spoken to Mr Shickel and he's agreed to meet with you to discuss the watch. Before that meeting though, I would like to understand how you came to have it.”

 

“Well, a former friend and now colleague was given it by Mr Schickel as another friend had given it to him as collateral for their movie they are doing together, by accident, not knowing it was my watch to begin with. He agreed to give it back and my ex-friend went and got it. But...I now know that the watch that the other…”

 

“Could we avoid this friend and another and use names?”

 

“Oh, okay, Michael Novotny gave Barnabus Mitchell the watch after I left it when we had a threesome and…”

 

“He knew it was your watch then?” Melanie interrupts; I know exactly where she is going with this and smirk.

 

“Yes.” Ethan replies slowly, clearly not grasping what a get-out we have.

 

“Then effectively he stole it.” She explains. “And then passed on stolen goods to Barnabus Mitchell, who I assume was not aware of its ownership?”

 

“No. No, he wasn’t. Could...could I have Michael charged with that?” He grins at me and I pray hard.

 

“It depends on when he took the watch.”

 

“Just over two years ago.”

 

“Then you’re within it. You would be in any event as you’ve only just discovered the theft. So what is your diary looking like for next week?”

 

“We will make time for whenever it suits George…” I begin and open my diary, then frown when she sighs.

 

“Mr Schickel wants to meet with Mr Gold, he is of import here, not you Ms Peterson. Mr Gold, you have my number, please call me later to arrange an appointment. Oh, one more thing, if Ms Peterson comes into possession of my number, I know exactly who to call the police on. Understand?”

 

“Absolutely. We will speak later.” We regard each other silently. “Ooh she really doesn’t sound like a bitter ex to me. Now excuse me, I am going to drop that nugget of information to Mr Busted Chops. This day gets better and better!”

 

And with that he saunters out whistling.

 

LIBERTE FILMS - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

MEL’S OFFICE

 

LEDA

 

“So we have an owner of the watch. What does that give us?”

 

“Not much admittedly.” Mel rubs her tummy and I grin, I can’t wait to be a mom with her! “So, I have been having a word around about James’s death, totally his fault, almost three times the limit. But it’s his behaviour before…”

 

“Ah yeah, Ignis Fatuus mentioned something at E&P before, to Brian and Justin.”

 

She nods. “And that’s what got me digging. He made lots of calls to one guy in particular in his class…”

 

“Let me guess, Justin?” I shudder.

 

“No, Ethan Gold. As in the guy I just spoke to.”

 

“Interesting. Where are you going, Mrs Storm?”

 

“I was going along of the lines of Justin should be at the meeting with George…”

 

“Because?”

 

“He might recognise him from college...I know, I know it’s a grasp, but from here it’s all we’ve got!” She sighs and again rubs. “What the hell does Ignis Fatuus mean?”

 

“Another way of describing a Will ’o the Wisp. And if there is one thing she is, it’s full of false hope and delusion!”

 

MERCY’S HOUSE, LONDON - AN HOUR AFTER OUTBURST

 

STUDIO

 

MERCY

 

“You all don’t have to be in here, it’s fine. Me and Aunt Debs will be okay, just blindsided me that’s all.”

 

“Faintaway! Now that was an awesome movie! I think I wore down a particular spot in the disc, rewinding it so much!” Drew exclaims, and then blushes. “How, how did a straight man write such a hot scene though?” Mercy looks at the floor whilst fiddling her phone. “Your dad didn’t write it?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“So he got someone gay to write it? Thought it was too hot for a straight…” Drew continues.

 

“I am straight.” I point out.

 

“You?! You wrote that scene?!” Ben looks incredulous. “You would’ve been what...14?!”

 

“With an older boyfriend and a very liberal minded mother!” I chortle. “Billy and I missed each other for the first three months. We made up for lost time...a lot.”

 

“You’re still friends with him, right?” Brian asks. “How did that work? I mean after you two split.”

 

“We kind of had to since he married Marguerite!” I smile. “He had never met her, since she was sick a lot, but when he did it was like boom!”

 

“And you were fine with that?” Blake looks surprised.

 

“Yep. It was the only time he was right. He was too old for me. But how I learned!” I snigger.

 

“Um Faintaway? What’s that?” Justin frowns, staring at the poster.

 

“A story of forbidden love in New Orleans. Now that ba…” Brian uses and looks at Ems. “When exactly are we going where we are going?”

 

“Tomorrow.” Ems grins back. “I am sure dear Mercy will be happy to lend you a copy. Won't you, darling?”

 

“Oh yeah. Let me make the arrangements entirely!”

 

“Oh, okay is…” Brian is interrupted by the door knocking and Aunt Debs poking her head around. “...she okay to come in?”

 

“Yeah, as long as she doesn't come out with bullcrap…”

 

“The call to the house won't happen!” She interrupts me and my hackles rise.

 

“You called him?!” Uncle Vic explodes.

 

“No! Remember the last call was a year ago? You have made your return to Pittsburgh public! In order for the call to happen, people would need to know you are…”

 

“In London!” I gasp. “Of course!”

 

“And here.” She hands me her phone. “Keep it, I will be with Vic most of the time, so get me on his cell.” She turns to leave but turns back. “I really loved your parents. I really love you. And once you get proof, then he is no longer my son.”

 

She closes the door quietly behind her, and I turn to Carl. “She thought like his mother first, let her explain their relationship and get your poing back.”

 

“My poing?”

 

“Yeah, you saw her and thought nice! Think like that again. Oh, and give her this back.” I hand him her phone. “Say you will look after it, gives her a reason to see you in the Pitts.”

 

MICHAEL'S HOUSE - LATE EVENING

 

HALLWAY

 

MICHAEL

 

I feel nauseous and so angry! I have effectively been fired by Lindsay and the traitorous Ethan! Well now I have no loyalty to them, I have the perfect way to get back in Mercy's good books, I stalk to my desk and boot up my computer, I almost snap the port in half by slamming it into the slot. It takes forever to load, but I smile as I open her script and start to make my special edits. Clearly she forgot that I had the port and this is a live document!

 

Suddenly the words ‘YOU ARE UGLY STUPID’ fill the screen.

 

“What the hell?!” I exclaim, then my phone beeps and I have mail. “You may have the port and the link, but we have the master file, which is up to date to the moment you left, in fact, it is further along, since you decided to recover from your well deserved, no doubt, injuries. And I shall be pressing charges against you for attempted sabotage.” My stomach shrivels as I read the email from Lindsay. I shut down the laptop, then crush the port under my heel.

 

“I need to think clearly. Right, focus attention on Lindsay and Ethan, I know exactly what buttons to push on a mere female, especially her type.” I pull out my wallet and find her card. Clearing my throat, I pull out my tape recorder and smile. “Hello, Mrs Peterson-Dixon, or should that be husband killer. I know it wasn't an accident, you pushed him to drink…”

 

I shut off the recording and play it back. I feel a frisson of nostalgia on hearing the voice I used to make the calls to Mercy’s parents. A cross between the Joker and the Penguin. I couldn't believe it when he won the Oscar and in the speech the idiot who picked it up thanked everyone for their support, but I didn't get a mention! No, not a frigging word! I made it my mission to make her hurt like I did, so I called to remind her of what he won, but she ultimately lost. But now she is in the Pitts I don’t need to do those calls anymore. She's back where she belongs.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.