- Text Size +

CHAPTER 3 - A STEP BACK IN TIME BRINGS IN A NEW PLAYER


MARILYN’S HOUSE - JUST BEFORE MIDNIGHT


LOUNGE


MARILYN


I smirk as I turn the card. “Ah, I wonder what you are here for? Who are you my dear?” I turn the next card and then smile. “Yes, you are what he needs...” I reach for my phone and wait for it to ring. “...hello Emmett, yes I felt it too, no a different kind of love. Goodnight, I will see you in the morning.”


BEN’S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING


BEN


Opening the door, I smile at Brian and look behind him. “Morning. Where? Who? Why?” He wipes his feet on the mat with a smirk and steps inside, giving me a peck on the lips.


“Have you washed that mouth before you kissed him with it?” Michael jokes from the stairs as he comes down ready to go to his store, I hope he goes quickly and wish that he wouldn’t needle him this early in the morning, he knows he will retaliate.


“Hmmm. Did I taste nice and minty fresh?” Brian asks cheekily. “Want me to do again? Just to check?”


Case in point!


“No, let’s have some coffee and then you can answer.” I wave him ahead of me and ignore the huff from behind me.


“What questions did you ask?” Michael sits the seat opposite Brian who get up and leans against the sink instead. “Sit down, Brian, you are blocking the light. This kitchen is dark enough.” I shoot him a look, and with a small shrug he sits back down. “So the questions?”


“He is wondering where I went yesterday. So to answer...back at his house with his friends, Justin, and because I wanted to.”


“What are you talking about? That fumble up the alley you had?” He wrinkles his nose in disgust.


“What fumble?” Brian frowns, and again I look. “Oh, that one, yeah like I said wanted…”


“Did you eat afterwards? Ben took your lunch with him when he tried to drop it off. I waited for an hour to make sure you got back safely…”


“What for? I am a grown man. I can find my own way around, I…”


“Being around is what got you shot most likely.” Michael declares hotly.


The scrape of the chair sounds like nails on a blackboard. “No, it was someone having a gun, putting it to my head and shooting me from behind that got me shot. Ben, I’ll…”


“Brian, I won’t be more than ten minutes. Lean against the car and wait, please?”


“Nah…”


“Please? Nine minutes and you can smoke in the car.”


“Ben…” Michael begins.


“A blunt?”


“Yeah, if that’s what it takes, go ahead but open the windows first.” I grip the back of the chair then wait for him to leave and jump at how hard he slams the door.


“In retro…”


“Shut up. Don’t call me today and stay at your place tonight! Starting from now!”


“Ben, I didn’t…” He starts to explain.


“Now, Michael.” I bite out as I switch off the machine, I lean against the sink waiting for him to realise that I am serious and he slowly gets up. “Later tater was bad enough, but that was despicable!”


OUTSIDE BEN’S HOUSE - 7 MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


Well I truly screwed that morning over! I see Brian lying on Ben’s car blowing smoke rings. Sighing, I approach, clearing my throat at the same time. “I almost punched you.” He says before I can speak. “Ben, being my best friend, is the only thing that stopped me.”


“I am…”


“Not good enough for him, but like Stevie, he sees something that others don’t.”


I feel my hackles start to rise! He has never liked me, ever since we met five years ago. He is always trying to split us up and pull Ben back into his hedonistic lifestyle, but I fought back and Ben is still with me! “I shouldn‘t have said that, it just…”


“You always blame the victim.” Ben’s cold voice halts my attempt to apologise. “I have noticed that more and more lately.” He reaches over and takes the cigar, because the Great Brian Kinney does not smoke mere cigarettes...he smokes cigars.


“Ben, you know…”


“Don't bumsuck it!” Brian orders. “You are taking too much in...you are going to…” Ben starts to cough. “...choke on the smoke.” He finishes with a sigh of exasperation, before he swings himself off the car and starts to clap him on the back.


“Ouch! I’m good, thinking of someone else there were you?” He coughs a couple more times before wiping his eyes. “Where am I dropping you?”


“At the store.” I reply, and go to open the back door, since I am in the doghouse might as well start to make nice.


“He’s talking to me, dipshit.” Brian snipes and I look across at Ben as he makes his way to the driver’s seat.


“Get in.” He says tersely.


“Helps if you unlock the back doors.” I just about manage to keep my annoyance that he didn’t call Brian out under control.


“Like he said, I was talking to him.” Ben snaps and slams the door hard when he gets in. Brian gives me a sarcastic salute before he slides in and they leave me on the sidewalk.


INSIDE BEN’S CAR - TEN MINUTES LATER


BEN


“I know I shouldn’t apologise for…”


“Then don’t! I am really freaking pissed.” He growls, staring mutinously out the window. “I told him and, now I am telling you, I would’ve punched him.”


“I would’ve let you.” I reply quietly and reach over with my pinky finger. With a huff he links it with his. “Can I come over tonight and we talk properly then?”


“Okay, just you. I own the roof and can easily carry him up there.”


“Brian, I would have to break my promise to you and I won’t do that.”


“Good. Because I would hate to have to punch you too.”


“What time and what should I bring?”


“Seven and B&B of course!” He looks scandalised that I should ask such a question. “Actually, can you drop me off here…”


“The diner? Please, Brian...”


“He was warned what I would do, can’t have him thinking I am not a follow through kinda guy amongst other things.”


“This is going to be one fuck of a week.”


“Should’ve thought before he spoke then, shouldn’t he?” He asserts as I pull up. I remain silent as he gets out and brace for the door slam but it doesn’t come. Instead he shuts it gently...firmly but gently and stalks inside.


Michael deserves everything that she’s going to bring his way.


JUSTIN AND CHRIS’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


“If you stir that anymore it will turn to butter.” Dad takes the spoon out of my hand and then moves the bowl. “Two things: one, why are you just having cream for breakfast, and two, what happened with Brian?”


“I meant to take out milk.” I sigh, annoyed with myself. “And we kissed.”


“Was it that bad?” He queries, and I catch both the laughter and concern in his voice.


“Not at all. It was very good indeed. In fact, perfect. And that was it.”


“What was it?” He comes to stand next to me and moves me to the sofa. “Sit. Talk.”


“We briefly caught up with each other then we kissed.”


“Annnnnd.” He elbows me gently. “Did Chris say that I met Marilyn and Emmett?”


“Yep.”


“Justin? What’s bugging you? Are you not happy you met him again?”


“Yeah we kissed after all, it’s the other thing.”


“Thought you said there was no other thing.” Daph looks at me darkly as she comes in. “Have you been holding out? Hang on. Chris!”


“One minute!” He bellows and he’s down in less than that. “So give.”


“We just kissed!” I sigh exasperated.


You said I love you. He said I love you back and you just kissed?!” Daph exclaims and I rue her excellent hearing!


“Love you? You both said it? And you want to take it back?” He hedges. “Or you think he does?”


“No and no. And it's not him that’s bothering me, it’s…”


“Dixon.” They all say.

 

 

I slump back on the seat. “He’s been fired.”


“What?!” Dad exclaims. “When did this happen and when did you find out? You are moving out of here! He's got nothing to…”


“Dad! I am not running...”


“Yeah, get that.” Chris interrupts my tirade. “But come on, Jus, think logically - and safely - for a second. How’d you find out?”


“Dean Chafton left me a message on my voicemail. Only checked this morning, and the reason I am pissed the fuck off is…”


“Let Molly sort this out for you, I will ring her in a second, she will drop the keys this afternoon.”


“Keys? This afternoon?” We three look puzzled and he looks caught. “How many rooms and where is it?” I try and make my voice sound weary, but really I am relieved.


“Gated just off Liberty Avenue. You know the one that has the…”


“Yes!” Chris exclaims and I glare at him. “Oh come on, it has that massive swimming pool and the music room. Speaking of music…”


“We weren’t.” I cut him off. “We were talking about Dicky Dixon and his nefarious intentions!”


“He’s going to have a lot more than the police to worry about if he even blinks in your direction again!” Mom strides in and I glower at Dad, who merely shrugs, puts his phone on the table and hangs up. “So why weren’t we informed? Why did Chafton tell you?”


“Over the age of 21 and graduated.” I nudge Dad so I can get by and head towards the doorway. “He was doing me a courtesy, he said. He also said he would call you guys on Monday to give you the intricacies of it all. I guess we should go and pack then?”


“Ya think!” Mom drawls and relaxes slightly. “So you going to see him?”


“What the fuck, Jen?!”


“Don’t be obtuse, Craig! I meant Brian!” Mom grouses. “So, are you?”


“Um yeah. Wehavedinnerplanstomorrow. Gotta pack! Daph, help!” I yell as I run upstairs and Mom lets out a litany of cuss words. The one person she can’t get by is Daph. She taught us all to fight, did Mom, but Daph is so much better!


“Justin Cole Taylor!” Dad yells, but he’s laughing, they all are.


When I reach the sanctuary, for now, that is my bedroom I pull out my phone and look at the text I wrote last night. Swallowing hard, I hit send...then shove the phone under my pillow and start to pack.


DINER - THIRTY MINUTES LATER


DEBS


“The bank was fucking heaving!” I explain as I come in, shaking off the rain. Kiki just waves it away from her perch by the counter. “Why are we so quiet?”


“Waiting.” Kiki intones and nods to the back.


I look around but can’t see anything too different, and then I see what she means, as out strides a highly pissed off looking Brian Kinney. “So…”


“Me being around was the reason I got shot.” He fumes. “Debs, there is…”


“Give me an hour, if I am not back send bail money!” I storm and turn heel.


“Wait!” Kiki bellows. “He’s coming across the street now!”


I rip off my coat and roll up my sleeves, then haul the door open. “GET YOUR FUCKING ASS IN HERE RIGHT THE FUCK NOW!” The entire street goes quiet and a very nervous young twink hides behind his leather daddy who glares at me. “Let me deal with that first okay?”


“Okay.”


“Ma, what on earth are you...OW! What the fuck, Ma?!” He clutches his cheek and staggers backwards, his eyes watering.


“A.POL.O.GISE!” I bellow.


“I was going to! I wasn't given…”


“Want a pair?!” I snarl, rolling up my other sleeve.


“I am sorry, okay?! I…” He stops talking and is frowning, so I turn around and Brian is looking at his phone with astonishment. “Brian, is everything okay?”


“Well I’ll be buggered!” He mutters before he finishes the remains of his coffee and strides out.


“Brian!” Michael calls as we both follow him out the door but he doesn't turn around. “What was that about?”


“So you will be grovelling to Ben as well, I take it?!” I bark at him before dragging him back inside. “Well?!”


“He's not talking to me. Said not to call or…” He again stops, but is now staring at the back of the kitchen. “...who is that?” He points at the hatch.


“Never mind that. Back to the subject in hand! Why did you even think it, let alone say it?!”


He sighs. “I don’t know, it just came out.”


“You were bitching! He teased you over Ben somehow and, as usual, you didn’t like it, so you took a swing at the one place that you know hurts. Dipshit!” I smack his arm hard. “You are such a switch when it comes to him. One minute you are trying to crawl down his throat with your dick and tongue leading, and the next you are saying fuckshit like that!”


He says nothing as he is still staring at the hatch. “I have seen that person somewhere before, can’t think where.” He mumbles and his frown deepens when she comes out from the kitchen holding a wallet. “What are you doing with that and who are you?!” He demands striding up to her.


“Not reined in that volume, have you?” She replies coolly before turning her green eyes to me. “Found this, Aunt Debs, according to the ID it belongs to…”


“That’s Brian’s wallet, give it to me!” Michael demands holding out his hand and then he drops it and is now gaping. “Mercy?! Is that you?!” He yells and flings his arms around his old school friend.


“Yes!” She gasps as she hugs him back...but not as enthusiastically as he is I notice.


“What the hell are you doing here?!” He starts to pull her into the booth.


“Not working as a cook for a start…” She replies, then sighs and tugs her arm out of his grasp. “While I am a bitch, I am not a dog, so stop pulling me like I am on a lead.”


MICHAEL


I can’t believe that Mirabelle Mercedes is in town! She was my closest friend throughout school until she moved to London, I was devastated, I tried everything to persuade her parents not to move. “How long are you here for?”


“Ever. Moved back to the States some years ago.”


“How many is some? And why are you only coming go see me now?!”


“I wasn’t coming to see you, Michael.” She replies. “I am here to work and see Aunt Debs. Seeing you is a bonus...I think.”


“I can’t believe my best friend has been back for years and never visited! What are you doing tonight? We can go out and…”


“Best...no can do I’m afraid. Plans already.”


“But we’ve only just reconnected, and…”


“Michael, I have plans. I will call you to arrange something. In the meantime, I need to drop this off at…” She goes through Brian’s wallet. “...Kinnetic. Is that walkable?”


“I can walk with you. I was going to drop that off anyway.” I grin as I stand up and wait for her to do the same, but she doesn’t. “Mercy?”


“Huh? Oh sorry, just thinking. If you’re going to there anyway, saves me a trip and…”


“He doesn’t want you anywhere near the building! May I take that, please?” I sigh as Caleb holds out his hand for Brian’s wallet and then stares at Mercy. “And you are?”


“Mirabelle Mercedes, and you?” I don’t like the way she is smiling at Caleb.


“Caleb Foyle, I work at Kinnetic. And that is my boss and friend’s wallet. He would’ve come back for it himself, but he didn’t care for the company.” He looks meaningfully at me, which she catches and again sighs.


“So where’d his loudmouth run him to?” She asks as she hands it over.


“I tried to apologise, but…”


“You have beautiful eyes.” Caleb tells her, tucking the wallet in his pocket.


“Thanks. So where?” She looks at Ma.


“Owner of the wallet got shot about four years back and he likes to remind him of that whenever he feels aggrieved about something. He’s doing okay now, no too many residual effects apart from snarky assed reminders ever so often.” I sit back down as Mercy’s eyes leave Caleb’s face and slowly swivel to mine.


“Before you even think of asking, for once, they are still dead.” She snaps and then gets up. “Knew this was a mistake! Aunt Debs, I will call you in a couple of days.” She kisses her on the cheek and then, much to his surprise and mine, Caleb’s before striding out.


Caleb glares at me. “Debs, who is that to you?”


“Michael’s one time…”


“She’s not my one time, she is my best friend!” I protest. “How long have you known she was back in the States?”


“I kept in touch with your best friend, which is more than you did! She needed you at one of the most devastating times of her life, and you didn’t even pick up the phone, not fucking once!”


“I was missing her and it was too painful to hear her voice…”


“Her parents had died! She needed you! But it was too painful for you?” Ma interjects and stands up. “Do you know how long it took me to get her to even come to Pittsburgh, let alone Liberty Avenue?!”


“No.” I mutter, wishing the ground would swallow me up.


“Five years!” She growls.


“Hold it, Ma, have you seen Mercy since she moved back here?!” I am starting to fume.


“Of course I have! You have a lot of making up to do, Michael! A lot!” She nods in the direction of a leather queen. “And speaking of that…” She strides over. “...so who is this cutie?!”


“Well, at least Brian’s not the only one, perhaps they can compare stories, and I might suggest that they do!” Caleb gloats and heads out the door yelling his goodbyes to Ma on the way.


As he saunters passed the door, I think two thoughts: one, he is just a receptionist, and two, he is getting too mouthy when he’s on the Avenue!


BRIAN’S LOFT - EARLY EVENING


BEN


I adjust the Beam and wait for him to open the door. When he does, he looks behind me and I feel a little put out. “What? He’s kept you dating him for five years...”


“Let’s not start.” I reciprocate his kiss from this morning as I come in. “Heard Debs haymakered him.”


“Oh great! Who told you?” He tugs on the Beam and I let it go so he can pour us both a much needed drink.


“He did. As usual, I say do one thing he does the opposite.”


“Next time you are fucked off with him, tell him to blow up your phone.”


“I didn't speak to him, he left a message.” I head to the island and slump down on the stool then reach for his pad in surprise. I look at the drawing of the young man and smile. “Is he finished?” I take the glass careful not to drip on the picture. “Is your memory coming back?”


He shakes his head. “Nope. That’s him.” I look at him to see if he is joking. “I am serious, this is what he looks like now.”


“Him as in...the guy who…” It is still too painful for me to say what happened after all this time and he squeezes my shoulder.


“Saved my life.” I nod. “Yes that’s him. Like I said, his name is Justin, and…”


“The diner guy!” I exclaim. “The...holy guacamole!”


“Thank you for not saying Batman after that!” He hands me his phone. “We’re going to dinner tomorrow, but he sent me this earlier.”


I read it and shrug. “So he waited for you. Not sure why he said it tw...oh that waited!”


“Yeah.” I watch my childhood friend of many years look honoured but also full of swagger and lust. “So have I.”


“Huh?” I get up to investigate the fridge for any signs of food and chuckle as I see a familiar tub. “Oh that’s where they ended up.” I laugh as I open the tub of wings. Nuke or slo...you said what and when?”


“I said so have I, and about two minutes after he sent that. Oven roast.” He regards me thoughtfully. “Did Emmett call you?”


“Yeah. We have a fitting for the dinner suits on Tuesday...and after today, you can tell him now if you want?” He starts to smile and points at my phone.


“It will be a pleasure.” He scrolls through and I am trying not to breathe as he dials Michael’s number.


MIRABELLE ‘MERCY’ MERCEDES’S RESIDENCE - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


MERCY


I slip off my boots and scrunch my toes in the rug. He doesn’t do things by half, I will give him that. Grimacing at yet another call from him, I take inhale deeply then put it on speaker. “What is it now?”


“He wants to know if you’ve found him?” I glare at the phone. “What kind of silence is that? Yes, I have. Yes, I fucking have. Or yes now hang the fuck up?”


I put the phone on mute and start to smile despite myself. “Put him on.” I order and wait.


“Mercy, how are you my dear?”


“Fine. I have found him. I shall get him. Stop your goon from calling me.”


“Now, now you know how much Alessjandro hates to be called that…”


“And you know how much I dislike Alessjandro.”


“He’s stepped up a level then? Last week it was hate.”


“Then I saw this place.”


He chuckles and then clears his throat. “In all seriousness, you think you can get him?”


“Yep, we missed before but we won’t miss again.”


“Because you are in charge?”


“Exactly. Now be gone.”


“Did...did you reconnect with…”


“Yeah and it went as expected.” I sigh sadly.


“Alessjandro, please leave us.” I wait for the sound of the door closing and press the phone closer to my ear. “You do not have to do this, we can send someone else, as it is obvious this is still so raw.”


“No, I’m here now, let’s get this job finished so I can get back.”


“Okay. Be safe. Bye my dear.”


“I always am.” I reply and after blowing two kisses down the phone at him I hang up.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be kind and constructive. Thank you