- Text Size +

CHAPTER 35 -  HAUNTING, VAUNTING AND TAUNTING

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL - EARLY EVENING

 

JUSTIN'S ROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

It feels good in Brian's arms, just listening to his heartbeat, because I know I am safe and sound. “Promise me he never touched you.” He whispers.

 

“He never touched me.” I reach up to stroke his face. “Other than to chloroform me to get me in the building.”

 

“I am going to kill him!” He snarls.

 

“Don't do that. Gold doesn't deserve your freedom. Be..”

 

“Not Gold. Michael. Michael, I am going to kill!” I sit up. “It was because of the mouthy words of a petulant and jealous wazzock, as Mercy called him, that Gold took you.” He pulls me back against his chest. “He told him that I am HIV+.” I sit up again and he closes my mouth. “Yeah. Michael told Gold that we were going to be doing it raw. He took you to protect you from me.” My mouth drops open again. “And there’s more. He’s only got a month if that.”

 

“A month if...he’s dying?!” I exclaim.

 

“He never told you?” He frowns.

 

“No, we didn’t talk. He was hardly ever there. He would leave me something to eat, but I was left to my own devices pretty much.”

 

“Why not? Come in!” He yells as the door knocks and in steps Mercy.

 

“How you both doing?” She asks, then gestures to the seat, I nod. “Thank goodness they’re letting me make my statement tomorrow. I am fucking bushed now. Just need sleep.”

 

“Fine. Better than fine actually. I can’t thank you all enough.”

 

“Me neither.” Brian holds me tighter. “So how the hell did you find him?”

 

“You know that Lindsey's studio was burned down?” I nod. “Gold did it as a last request of her late husband…” She shakes her head. “...nope, no idea either, but that’s what he did. However, what tipped it for us was on checking his phone records, after he handed himself in, I recognised a number. It was Howard Bellwether. Couldn’t figure out why he would know him, let alone call him as many times as he did. In the run up to his death, the calls were more frequent, it was Bellwether calling him.” She rolls her neck and looks queasy. “Caleb, Hunter and Barney went through his things and found a letter from Bellwether to Gold.” She gets up and pours some water; clearly struggling with what she has to say next.

 

“Whatever it is, it can’t be as bad as kidnapping can it?” Brian sighs.

 

“It can and it is. Bellwether had told Gold how sorry he was for what happened to him and also gave him list of names. He said that those were the people at the party where he got infected. Both you and Dixon were on the list.”

 

“But I wasn't at the party!” He growls.

 

“I know, and Gold now knows. The only person on the list that was at the party was Dixon. That's the reason none of the others on the list recognised Gold when he turned back up into their lives…”

 

“Not following.” I look between the pair of them.

 

“Caleb obviously couldn't find out what the beef with Dixon was, but everyone on that list was someone that Bellwether had had an issue with in the past. And he sent his missionary of doom out to exact his revenge from beyond the grave. He groomed him in so many nasty ways.”

 

“So what did you and him fight about?” I ask Brian.

 

“When I saw it was a bareback party I left. He called me a couple of times saying I embarrassed him and some shit. Told him to fuck off. Then he wrote an article about me, which I threatened to sue the newspaper for if it wasn't retracted or redacted. They went with redacted, but the backlash was immense, people returned his book,  and…”

 

“Yeah, you had a fan…” Mercy snickers, now we are both frowning. “...when The Art of Being a Bastard hit, the first thing that happened was his publisher dropped him.”

 

“He did? Hold a second, how did you recognise Bellwether’s number?” I get a squeeze for that.

 

“He and his publisher approached me with a view to representation at the height of his book’s wave, but I went digging, did not like what I found, and said no…”

 

BRIAN

 

“What did you find?” I can’t believe the destruction this man has wrought!

 

“He was just unnecessarily nasty and I couldn’t have that coming back to my door. By association if you will…” She yawns hugely and rubs her eyes. “...sorry, the reputational risk was too much for me...”

 

“So how did you find me though?” Justin strokes my sleeve then yawns.

 

“You sure you want to hear this now?” He nods. “Gold had Bellwether’s address. We took a chance and it paid off, though Caleb could've done without the lamp.” She snickers. “He totally understands, just needs stitches. No…”

 

“Lamp?” I look down at him; but he remains quiet.

 

“That’s how Caleb’s arm got busted up.” She explains. “Seems that Gold would announce himself. We just ran from room to room yelling for Justin, he didn't answer of course. But then we saw a light go out, so we tried the door and found it locked…” This time they both yawn. “...yeah, so natch Caleb kicked it in…”

 

“I had already grabbed the lamp and swung.” Justin finishes. “I was going to go down fighting.”

 

“Good.” I tilt his head up and see how exhausted he looks, how they both do. “You need your rest. So do you. We can finish this up tomorrow.”

 

“Are…” Justin begins his voice slightly panicked.

 

“No, I am staying. Going to call Ben to grab me some stuff, and...” The interruption this time is the entry of Hunter and Molly. “Actually, since they are here they can stay with you until I come back. It really will be quicker if I go and grab what I need.”

 

“I’ll take you.” Hunter asserts, and after a beat of silence, Justin nods and Molly replaces me behind him. “And you.” He tells Mercy firmly and helps her to stand.

 

“No argument from me.” She mutters, and together we help her out of the room.

 

“Mercy! Mercy, wait!” We turn at the shouting from Debs. “I am staying with you. No way are you being alone!”

 

“No problem, Aunt Debs. Can I have a hot chocolate with brandy?”

 

“Absolutely, honey.”

 

DEBS AND VIC’S HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

VIC

 

“What do you mean you don't owe me an apology?!” Michael demands, pacing and throwing up his arms. “Did you forget you knocked my teeth out?!”

 

“Did you forget the post Oscar call you made to get the punch in the first place?!” I snarl back as I put my hands behind my back. “For which you have still not apologised!”

 

“She has not been here to apologise to! I want to do it face to face! When is she back?!” He stops pacing and glares at me. “You seem to have her ear.”

 

“She is in London still, that's all I know. And then of course there is the matter of Brian, Justin, and Ethan Gold.”

 

“What about them?! I didn't have anything to do with that. He admitted to following me around then eavesdropped on a private conversation! It is not my fault he misconstrued what I said.”

 

“You liar!” We both jump as we hadn't seen Ben at the back window. I think I am not the only one relieved that when he and Michael split he gave back the key! I have the feeling that if he could get to Michael right now, I am sure he too would be in jail! “Barney told us what your statements said! You both said that you met for coffee, which is when you told him about Brian and Justin!”

 

“I was joking!” He explodes.

 

“No you weren't! If there is one thing you don't do where Brian is concerned, it's joke!” Ben spits and his eyes bulge with fury, but he remains outside. “You caused this like you cause most turdnadoes in people's lives who surpass your low expectations of them!”

 

“Turdnadoes? Are you serious with that?!” He fumes, and for a few long seconds nobody says a word. “Well I am going home. I fully expect when you two have calmed down, and see the true picture, to receive apologies from all of you. And I include Mercy in this…”

 

“What the hell does she owe you an apology for?!” I roar, and move away from the butcher's block full of knives.

 

“She believed that I burned down the studio and I didn't! She knows me better than that!”

 

“She believed the evidence that she was presented with at the time! And yes, she does know you better and hates you more!” I retort then smile as Michael scowls at the window; for outside with Ben talking quietly is Drew. “Hi Drew!” I call out, he turns and waves. They talk for a few more minutes before Ben nods and leaves the garden.

 

“Can I come in?” Drew asks as he makes his way inside, much to Michael’s annoyance. This cools my temper somewhat. For a stickler for manners he is completely oblivious to the lack of his!

 

“It is customary to wait to ask for permission, not to ask and then keep coming anyway! What are you doing here and where is Ben going?!”

 

“Came to collect Ben. As for where, he's going home to get some much needed sleep.”

 

Once again, he snatches up his coat. “Like I said, I am going to my home, not to see Ben. I don’t want there to be further misunderstandings!” He rushes to the door, but before he reaches it Drew clears his throat, and slowly he turns around.

 

“Two things...nobody but Gold owes you an apology, and secondly, when I said home, I meant mine. The reason you couldn't find Ben was because he was, and will remain, staying with me.” Jealousy, fury and disbelief flood Michael’s face and he goes to speak but closes his mouth when Drew shakes his head. “I am very protective of many things, among them are my friends. Mercy, Brian and Justin are my friends. But I'm fiercely protective of my boyfriends, and right now Ben is who that is. Do we understand each other?”

 

“Word to the wise, Mr Boyd. I know Ben. He is basking in your fame and notoriety of being the first out footballer! How he must love being in the spotlight?! First with me being the son of the Mother of Liberty Avenue, then with the over the hill playboy as his best friend with a fondness for chicken, and now with you.” He looks Drew up and down with disgust. “Careful that the muckiness that is Brian Kinney doesn’t stick! How will your sponsors feel then?!”

 

“You need to leave whilst you still can!” The coldness in Debs's tone chills the room. “I will have everything that you have here sent to you by lunchtime tomorrow. I won't ban you from the diner because quite frankly you will ignore it, but here, here I can and will have you arrested for trespass and harassment if you so much as breathe in this direction of this house!” She pushes the door wider then stands to one side. “Ten seconds or the police will be called.” She starts to count but it is when she gets to eight and pulls out her phone that he runs out shouting that we have all gone mad.

 

“No, you are the crazy one, you chicken shit coward!” She bellows back then slams the door.

 

OLD BUS DEPOT, PITTSBURGH - FIFTY MINUTES LATER

 

COOPER, TEAM MEMBER OF TAYLOR SECURITIES

 

I watch Novotny exhale as if he is cleansing his soul. His smile as he slips something into his jacket pocket is just repugnant.

 

Ever since Justin was taken and Novotny released, Craig has had him on close surveillance, but he has been so wrapped up in himself and now we know why. He's been so busy trying to find Ben that he's not paid attention to much else.

 

I wait for him to drive off and rush to the phone box. I attach the equipment and wait for the laptop to pull through the numbers. My heart begins to sink as I see he called the same US cell number at least four times, I check it against the list we were given and it is not on there. But then it appears the number he called before he called the cell. It is Mercy's London number. I check the duration of the call...15 minutes, then call, Blake.

 

“Dude, were you asleep? What time is it over there? Oh a migraine. You taken anything? Did you listen to the message first though?” I frown at my cell. “What do you mean what message? Novotny just called!” I feel a little sympathy as he tells me he turned the ringer off when the migraine started to kick his butt. “Okay, listen to it and call me back, he’s just left. Oh, and this is the other number he called.”

 

RAE AND RAJAN’S HOUSE, LONDON - AN HOUR LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

RAJAN

 

“I don’t think I will ever get used to it.” Rae murmurs as she comes back in from upstairs with the vanity case and a small smile.

 

“It is only temporary.” I smile back at her, marvelling at her ability to persuade me to her way of thinking and not cutting off my locs. The only advantage of what happened is that it gave us time to comb them out, she’s not feeling the ‘fro though. “It has to be this way for it to work.”

 

“Okay, sit down let me cornrow it for you.” She sighs again before shaking herself. “Doing this for Natty and Celine.” She starts to part my hair and then kisses her teeth. “The nerve of him to sing belated happy birthday and then apologise for the delay because he was unavoidably detained on set!”

 

“He is twisted in the head.” Blake mutters as he comes in and puts his cup in the dishwasher. He looks a lot better than he did. “The other person that he has been calling from there is Lindsay Peterson.”

 

“Why is he calling her? It's not as if she has anything filmic to offer him!” I snort then wince as Rae jabs me with the tail comb. “Oh, come on, the way she treated Mel was appalling!”

 

“True. But…” Blake watches fascinated as she does my hair. “...it is all for naught. Unluckily for us but luckily for her.”

 

“Why?” Rae stops cornrowing.

 

“Because her phone was destroyed in the fire, nothing salvageable. So at least she’s not had to go through that.”

 

“No, that was just Mercy.” I growl. “And I will show him none!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.