- Text Size +

CHAPTER 40 - RAGE AND A FIGMENT...MICHAEL

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 1 - TWO HOURS LATER

 

DET JENIA STEWART

 

“As I have said twice now!” Novotny explodes. “I had nothing to do with the kidnapping of Taylor, this was all down to Gold.”

 

“Yes, we know what you’ve said, but you’ve now admitted that you spoke to Gold before and on the day that Mr Taylor was taken.”

 

“I explained that! He was offering me some overdue sympathy for the loss of my manuscript in the fire that he started if you recall?!”

 

Det Stewart signals someone. “Yes, I do recall that, but you didn’t mention that Gold said he was taking Mr Taylor.”

 

“That’s because I didn't know!” He retorts.

 

“Please prepare to play the recording!” I call out, and glare at him. “Mr Novotny, I will give you one more opportunity to be truthful with us!”

 

“I am telling the truth. Yes, I did speak to him, but no, I had nothing to do with it!”

 

“Play it, please!” I order.

 

Gold: Hi, Michael, it’s me. I just want to be sure that you are sure about what you’ve told me.

 

Novotny: Yes, yes, I am quite sure. I’m positive.

 

Gold: Good, because I am on my way, so thank you for giving me the information - you are so right, he has to be kept safe from harm. Look, I am really sorry for what happened to your manuscript, so for you I am going to make him pay, make him suffer a bit, okay?

 

Novotny: You’re welcome. And yes, we have to keep him away from harm. Take him away from the danger.

 

Gold: Yeah. I’m taking him there. Look, I’ve gotta go, can’t be seen on my phone right now after all of this, can I?

 

Novotny: hmmm, oh yeah, okay, bye.

 

I look at his now pale face. “So what do you have to say to that?”

 

“I was...I was distracted, you can hear it in my voice…”

 

“Maybe. But then explain why, knowing that you had spoken to Gold and he had said what he said, you said nothing to the authorities?”

 

“He had handed himself in…”

 

“But you had spoken to him days before he took Justin. You said nothing when he handed himself in, in fact, you vociferously exercised your right to silence! And now that Gold is no longer with us, we look to you. You, who has, according to Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor, been derisive about their relationship from the start. You refer to him as his toy anytime you speak of him. You were the only person to not be happy that he was found alive and well.” He is now sweating, but then he frowns. “Problem? I mean apart from the one you are sitting here for?”

 

“Where did you find Justin?”

 

“We didn’t.” I reply.

 

“What do you mean you didn’t?”

 

“I mean we as the police officers investigating the case didn't. He was found by an…”

 

“The FBI?! They found him?! I always thought that stuff was made up like in the movies.”

 

“No, it’s not, and no, they did not.” I clear my throat and take a sip of water, willing him to take a sip of his.

 

“Oh wait, his family owns a security firm, they found him! Of course.”

 

“Mr Novotny, how and by whom he was found is irrelevant, it is by whom he was placed there that is the main thing.”

 

“By Gold.” He retorts.

 

DET BECKS HARDY

 

I have been watching from the other room, having been going through the statements from Gold one more time. Then I find it. Smiling with relief, I tap the window. Jenia nods and I head inside.

 

“Detective Rebecca Hardy has entered the interview room at 1357.” Jenia states.

 

“Mr Novotny…” I begin as I take a seat. “...why were you following Mr Taylor?”

 

He blinks a few times. “I wasn’t following him!”

 

“According to Gold’s statement you were…”

 

“I was looking for Ben, who is my ex, and he was the best way to find him! He was with Kinney and he was always with Ben and…”

 

“You've just corroborated Gold’s statement.” Jenia points out, smirking slightly.

 

“I meant I wasn't following him in the way you mean, in this instance!”

 

“Following is following.” I retort. “And watching is watching.” I slide the photo across and he gawks at it. “This was taken outside of Mr Taylor’s residence at the same time Ms Peterson’s studio was set alight. Why are you outside his house?”

 

“I am not.” He whispers. “I mean I am, but he is working with Mercy and she isn’t talking to me and I needed to find her too…”

 

“So the key to finding the people you needed seems to be Mr Taylor?” I point out, then almost want to scream with joy when he finally has some water.

 

“No I don’t...this can’t…” He starts to mutter.

 

“So what did you want to see us about anyway? You left us a message about this very subject.”

 

“To tell you what I have been telling you for the last two hours, that I had nothing to do with it! And I need your help, I have been threatened!”

 

“Threatened you say? Who by? I should imagine the list is quite substantial!”

 

“By Mercy’s father! He called me at the phone box by the old bus depot…”

 

“First, why would he call you there of all places? And secondly, he’s been dead for over 15 years!”

 

“That’s what he wanted the world to think! He and his wife faked their deaths, and…” His face starts to darken. “...he said I always get in the way and that if I didn’t stop he’d stop me.”

 

“Hmm, of course he did, Mr Novotny. You seem to have an unhealthy fixation on Justin Taylor…”

 

“No I do not!” He balls his fists on the table. “And I…” The door knocking stops his tirade. When a man steps in, Novotny looks relieved. “Where have you been?!”

 

“Who are you, sir?” Jenia asks but we can guess.

 

“My attorney. He was my phone call over two hours ago!” Novotny retorts.

 

“Name and identification, you know the drill of course.” I query. He nods then sits down next to his client.

 

“Derek Fletcher. Here is my ID. Now, have you charged my client?”

 

“Not yet.” Jenia replies calmly.

 

“What evidence do you have of this alleged accessory?” He demands. I fume as Novotny starts to regain some bravado.

 

“I don’t believe you have just gotten here, so let's not go down the glib route.” I retort, and he smiles thinly. “We do not have firm enough evidence to…”

 

“Keep him detained any further. This is at an end.”

 

“For now.” I return. “He is to remain in his residence for the rest of the evening…”

 

“They can't do that! I haven’t done anything!”

 

“Mr Novotny, be quiet!” Fletcher snaps, surprising all of us. “If you don’t agree to remain there...until what time?”

 

“Midday.” I reply.

 

“Midday, then they will hold you overnight I believe?”

 

“That is correct.” I keep my eyes on Novotny. “And if he leaves his residence he will be arrested on sight. If he attempts to make any contact with anyone involved in this case in any shape way or form, again, he will be arrested.”

 

“Agreed. Now we are going.” Fletcher stands and Novotny almost races him to the door. “Ladies,  I look forward to tomorrow’s tussle.” He closes the door behind him and we both heave a sigh of relief.

 

“Interview terminated at 1637.” I state reaching across to carefully take the cup. “Get that to the lab.”

 

“You don’t really think he had anything to do with it, all this stalker shit aside? It is very circumstantial.”

 

“I know.” I sigh. “But look at the way he was! Even if it was just Gold, Novotny enjoyed the fear that they felt! He never mentioned the call and continued to lie to Gold. He has to face some form of censure for that.”

 

“True.” Jenia nods. “Once that’s in the lab, I don’t know about you but I could do with a cigarette!”

 

MICHAEL’S HOUSE - LATE EVENING

 

KITCHEN

 

MICHAEL

 

What a truly horrific day, but I have had my bath and now I am waiting for Mercy to return my call. I can hear movement outside the front door, then smell that wretched cigar smoke, but I will forgive her this once. I pour two glasses of wine then go to open it, I find myself looking at nothing. I step outside, look up and down the street but she’s not there. “Mercy?!” I call out. “Where are you?! Come on, the wine is poured!”

 

I see someone coming up the path and smile. It falls off my face when I see Det Stewart and coming behind her is Det Hardy. “Mr Novotny…” Stewart is smirking. “...you were told what would happen if you were  to contact anyone connected to the case. Please go inside and gather your things.”

 

“I never contacted any of them, so you can’t arrest me!” I exclaim, backing into the house as she advances with her cuffs out in readiness. “I didn’t!”

 

“You contacted Mirabelle Mercedes…” Hardy retorts as she shuts the door.

 

“So what of it?! She is my best friend!”

 

“And also one of the people that rescued Justin Taylor!” Hardy declares.

 

I am too shocked to do anything but let them handcuff me, read me my rights, and lead me to the car.

 

When we reach the station almost forty minutes later, I am coming out of my daze, but it is when I get out of the car and look up the road that I freeze...for there, up the street, leaning against a lampost, smoking a cigar and waving is Nathanial Sykes!

 

“Come on, Novotny!” Stewart orders, pushing me forward and causing me to stumble to my knees.

 

“Can you see that man by the lampost?!” I whisper, jerking my head as subtly as possible, whilst they haul me to my feet.

 

“What man?” Stewart replies, and when I look he is gone but the smell of cigars lingers.

 


Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.