- Text Size +

CHAPTER 42 - HIS MYSTERIOUS CAPTURE, THE STATE AND THE DOCTOR


MYSTERIOUS MARILYN


It is silent, everyone is just staring at Lisa, she is indeed the image of Mercy. I settle down on the sofa and clear my throat, this gets everyone focused on me.


“I had my suspicions for a while that Michael was somehow involved in the attack on you, Brian, and…”


“Wait, before you begin.” Emmett interrupts. “The love stuff, I mean for those who have coupled up, that is true and real isn’t it?”


“Yes. The love is true.” I smile at his relieved expression as he settles back next to George. “There is nothing but good things now.” I give a knowing look at Mel and Leda, who look confused. “A girl, and worry not she will be a quick birth.”


“How’d you know?” Leda gasps. “We only found out two days ago!”


“And didn’t think to tell Godmomma this news?!” Mercy grouses.


“You failed to mention your doppelganger, so…” Mel returns and Mercy nods.


“So how do you fit in?” Brian asks me.


“That’s what I love about you, Brian, your straightforwardness. When you were shot, in the madness that was at that time, he hid in plain sight. Everything that the late Ethan Gold said he did was true, as were the reasons why. Wrongly, he was trying to protect Justin from you. But Michael, he is a whole other animal, and I do mean animal. He kept tabs on you, and he knew everywhere you were, not just via Ben, but in general from the moment you two met. As far as he was concerned, it was fate, and you were destined to be together. The flies in the ointment were that you didn't find him attractive or likeable, Ben was his boyfriend, and, of course, Justin.” 


“Justin?” Daph echoes. “Oh, wait, so if he was following him and keeping tabs on him, he must have heard about…”


“Exactly, my dear.” I nod at her. “He heard about your intentions towards Justin; the fact that you were warning people off and they were obeying, just spiked up his jealousy.”


“But where do Mercy and Lisa come into this?” Debs frowns, still disbelieving at the pair of them.


“That was all true. She was here for Brian and Justin as she said, but had hoped to avoid Michael. But alas, it didn't work out that way…”


“Aunt Debs insisted I have just one more cup of coffee...” Mercy begins. “...and it was when he hugged me like nothing had happened, like he hadn’t caused their deaths, I almost lost it there and then. I was all set to just go back and deal with it remotely....”


“...but I persuaded her to stay and seek justice.” I continue. “So, in came Lisa! It was easy enough to fool Michael, as all he saw his best friend. However, Debs and Vic, they would’ve spotted their differences.”


“Where are you from in her family, Lisa I mean? And when did you first suspect Michael?” Vic asks, I am pleased to see him and Rodney’s clasped hands between them. “Was it from when you told us, or…”


“Am her cousin on Aunt Celine’s side.” She replies quietly, and Mercy strokes her arm. She smiles sadly.


“A long time, like I said.” Mercy sighs as Caleb tops up her drink. “But it was when he admitted it, like he had chipped a nail. Then the idea for Uncle Rajan was mooted, so I asked Lisa to swap with me until I was calm enough to deal with him.”


“So apart from the sometimes left handedness and the lack of smoking, what else gave it away?” Lisa asks Justin with a frown.


“Your tempers are also very different.” He replies with a grin. “Whereas Mercy shouted at him, you didn’t. You were just quiet.” He pauses then looks at me, I nod encouragingly. “And he took that quietness as forgiveness?”


“Precisely.”


“So, back to the Brian part and his fixation for want of a better word.” Ben orders, scrubbing his face. “Is that why he wanted him to work with him, to be closer?”


“Yes. And when Brian rejected him without even recognising him in the backroom, that was one of the final insults. But he still wanted him. He also wanted him for Mercy, as a gift. Like you said, Emmett, they are each other.”


“James Dixon and...oh God, does Lindsay know that Michael…” Mel trails off then looks relieved when I nod. “...how did he do it then?”


“I told her the moment it was confirmed.” Rodney explains. “Once we had his finger prints after his arrest and compared them to those found on the brake line, it was all academic.”


“Brake line?” Ben gasps. “He cut his brake line?! Why?!”


“He had to practice.” I steel myself. “He was going to kill you, Ben, to get sympathy from Brian and Mercy. I could not understand why James Dixon died, it was just so out of nowhere, and when he reduced his meds, that’s when I realised what he had done.”


“How did he get to Dixon in the first place?!” Brian is by Ben’s side, comforting his stricken friend. 


“Lindsay. I asked her if she had spoken to anyone on the night of James’s death, and she confirmed that she spoke to Michael. He had called about their collaboration. She wasn’t in the mood because of the row they had before James stormed out. However, Michael managed to get out of her where James might be and she thought nothing more of it.”


“How do you know he reduced his meds?” Mercy frowns. “And about them in the first place?” 


“He talks to himself. A lot. It was just after you were shot…”


“Before you get to that, if he was so into Brian, why did he shoot him?” Lisa queries then gapes. “Oh shit, he was aiming for…”


“Dixon?” Emmett frowns. “After all, he stabbed him that night too?”


“No, not Dixon. Justin.” Mercy shakes her head. “It all makes sense now, why he would call him his toy. Why he had Ethan take him. Do you think he meant to kill Justin though?”


“No, I think he meant to scare him off The Avenue. Before I continue, Brian, I feel so sorry for you. Two of the men that you love were burnt by the same person, and all because he thought he was better than them. That he deserved you, not them.”


“He can't get out, can he?” Brian looks understandably worried.


“No. Absolutely not.” Rodney reassures him. “He is never getting out, and he's not staying where he is either.”


“Why not?” Debs wipes her eyes, Carl hands her a tissue then gives her a cuddle. “Thanks, needed that. Did you know what was going on?”


“Not at first, but I did know about Mercy and Lisa swapping places, as did your folks, Justin, but we had to keep it quiet. We could not risk him finding out.”


“What is it you do, Lisa?” Ted asks.


“Make up artist and prosthetics specialist. I handle all of that for Mercy.”


“I see, and that’s how you got Rajan spot on?” He looks impressed when she nods. “Um, question, who is Caleb with then?”


“That would be Mercy.” Lisa grins. “We had to tell him when he tried to kiss me and I slapped him. Some shit-quick explaining was done before he dumped her!” The laughter that follows eases the tension. “Now, back to you, Rodney, why can’t he stay where he is? Surely that is the best place for him?!”


“No, the best place for him is jail. He cannot use the schizophrenic defence because he eased up on his meds. Besides, he held Billy and Vic at gunpoint when he had started to take his full dose again.”


“Indeed he cannot, and when I overheard what I did, he was definitely taking them properly…”


Start of flashback

BACK OF MICHAEL’S STORE - A MONTH AFTER BRIAN’S SHOOTING


MARILYN


I have a sense of unease when I see the back door of the store is wide open. I had seen Michael stomping his way up to the diner earlier, yelling at Ben for being at the hospital seeing Brian. Everyone is still in shock over what happened to him. Of course the police are no help, wanting to dismiss it as a mugging gone wrong. 


Whilst part of me wants to leave him to find this, the honourable part of me knows that if he is being robbed and comes back to find the person still here, the consequences could be dire. I tiptoe to the door and look inside. I am surprised to see Michael in the middle of a bit of a mess. Seems that the robbery has taken place.


I am about to offer my assistance when he slams down the pile of comics, then kicks the counter.


“Absolute fucker, getting in the way like that!” He snarls. “I had the perfect angle to wing that twink and he gets in the way!” He rubs his temples before picking up the scattered comics. “Looks like he is going to be fine though, that’s a consequence of being a mouthy asshole, but oh, what an asshole. So sexy but blind, blind to how perfect we would be together…” He looks at his watch. “...it is definitely time to eat, can't take my happy pills without food!” He looks around the store once more. “Actually, I am going to lock up...yeah, lock up and go home. I think I will watch the last one of him in action...not that he will be in action for a while!”

End of flashback


BRIAN


I am just reeling, the pale and sickened looks on Ben and Justin’s faces will forever be etched on my memory. “Drew, can you take him home, to yours I mean?”


“Absolutely.” Drew replies before gently nudging Ben to stand. “He is never leaving.”


“I think it is best if you all go home and get some rest.” Rodney stands, bringing Vic up with him. “Friday is going to be a tough but interesting day.”


“Tough but interesting, why?” Justin whispers, although he has regained some colour.


“Michael is being arraigned, and once you have fully gotten over the shock, I think he needs to see the pair of you two…”


“What two? He’s already seen me and Drew, and…”


“No, he means Lisa and Mercy and me and Justin. Don’t you?” I feel the beginnings of a smile. 


“Oh yes, he certainly does.” Marilyn grins. “He needs to see what he has lost.”


“He can’t have lost something that he never had.” Lisa growls, something makes me look at her carefully. “What?”


“Seriously, you just looked so scary then.” 


“I had to be quiet. Quiet is good. If I went batshit, he would be dead. You have no idea how close I came to killing him, no idea.”


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - FRIDAY AFTERNOON, SIX WEEKS LATER


COURTROOM TWO


MERCY


None of us went to the arraignment, deciding to focus on happy things instead, so naturally, life has been mayhem, but good mayhem. Ben and Drew are officially a couple in the eyes of the public. Everyone who got together when all the shit went down are still very much together. Mel, Lindsay, and Leda have made peace with each other. I still think she is a cow, but will hold my considerable tongue and leave it in the past where it belongs. The film is being released in three weeks time. 


I give Lisa a wry smile as she grimaces, as yet again Uncle Rajan, Carl and Rodney check that she doesn’t have anything on her. Mel has been our go-to woman during this time, but she asked us not to read any media until the trial is over, not that there was much media coverage. Somehow he and his attorney managed to get this, mostly, behind closed doors. 


Speaking of doors, this is where all eyes are trained, and when I say all, I mean all. It looks like everyone on Liberty Avenue is here! The courtroom is buzzing, some unsurprised and others not so much that it was Michael that tried to end the Stud.


I tense up as I hear the sound of his maddening yammering coming closer and closer. When I hold Lisa and Caleb’s hands, I start to feel calmer, but he is not the first one in, someone else is, and judging by the pinched expression, this must be his attorney.


“Hi, Freda, I am representing the State in the case of the State vs Michael Charles Novotny.”


The look on Freda’s face, has me turning to Mel. “Who’s that?” I mutter.


“That’s DA Richard Kingston. He is a very big deal!” She mutters back.


“So they are doing what then?” Brian frowns.


“Let me see ask.” She replies, making her way to the front. Clearing her throat gets the attention of both Freda and the DA, who grins at her. “A quick word?”


“Sure, Mel, lovely to see you!” He turns back to Freda, who seems to be the bailiff. “Got a room? It seems the prisoner is causing a fuss, so we have time.”


“Sure. Think Room 2 is free.”


“Cool. Let’s go, shouldn’t take more than fifteen minutes.”


TEN MINUTES LATER


MEL


I make my way back to them in total shock. 


“What’s occurring?” Brian demands.


“Well…” I begin only to be interrupted by the door opening again, this time it is Michael. He comes to a complete halt then his jaw hurtles to the floor. “...you will see.” 


“What the…?” He stammers. “There’s two Mercys, who the hell is this? No, it can’t be, there is only one Mercy, just one!”


“Silence!” Freda bellows.


“No I will not be silenced! Explain yourself, Mercy!” He orders.


“As if you are in the position to demand anything!” Freda snaps back. “I said silence and I will have it!” Freda snarls. “This court will come to order and all rise!” The courtroom does as she bids, then the judge comes in and I gasp when I see the Judge.


“Mel?” Leda whispers, but I shake my head.


“Judge Finkman…” Freda begins. “...this is the case of the State vs Michael Charles Novotny, he was charged with and found guilty of the attempted murder of Justin Taylor, attempted murder of Brian Kinney, murder in the first degree of James Dixon, culpable homicide and harassment in the case of Nathan and Celine Sykes, accessory to kidnapping and obstruction of justice in the case of Justin Taylor. ” 


All eyes turn to me. “Yeah, that.”


“Thank you, Freda.” Judge Finkman shuffles the papers. “DA Kingston, you are representing the State again?”


“Yes, your honour.” He replies.


“And you are seeking what in this regard?”


“Bare minimum of life without parole but ideally the death penalty. Michael Charles Novotny may have schizophrenia, as detailed in his medical records, but the State feels he should face the strictest of penalties.”


Judge Finkman nods. “Duly noted.” He responds. “I introduce Abraham Churchill to the court. Mr Churchill, have you explained how this works to the defendant?”


“I have, but he’s not accepting it.” Churchill sighs.


“I am unsurprised by this. Perhaps he will accept it from me…” Judge Finkman replies as he fixes Michael a hard stare. “...this is where you are to be sentenced. As per the psychiatric assessment, despite your best efforts, you were found to be fully compos mentis at the time the crimes were committed.”


“Jesus.” Mercy mutters.


“Like I said.” I tell our stunned group. “Kingston is a big deal. And Finkman always goes for the harshest of sentences, always.”


“And like I said, I refuse to accept those verdicts or the assessment! Now be quiet whilst I get an explanation from Mercy and her clone!” Michael exclaims then turns to us. “Well...who is this?!” 


“Remove the defendant!” Judge Finkman orders. “He will be advised of his sentence later!”


It takes two guards to carry him out, screaming Mercy and Brian’s names.


TWO HOURS LATER


MERCY


He is silent, glaring at Brian and me. I bask in the pure hatred in his gaze, although that is somewhat tempered by the shock of his sentence. 


“I understand there are victim statements to be read by Mirabelle Mercedes, Brian Kinney, and Justin Taylor; is that correct?” Judge Finkman looks across at DA Kingston who smiles and nods. “Who is first?”


“Mirabelle Mercedes.” He replies and I swallow hard. “She’s the one on the left.”


“Thank you for the clarification.” Judge Finkman’s gentle tones help steady my nerves. Harnessing my inner Lisa, I approach the table he sits at, stopping when I am about two feet away. He is struggling not to look at me. I wait him out until finally he swings his gaze up to my face. “Proceed, Miss Mercedes.”


“This is the end of your life as you know it. You will never know who she is or why she is here. However, you do need to know that we will see you once more. By we, I mean Brian, Justin, Ben and I. We will see you die at the hands of the State.” I am relieved that my voice was steady and clear. “Guys, you ready?” I expect the Judge or DA to say something, but the only sounds are their footsteps as they join me in front of him. “Ben?”


“You were prepared to kill me just to get Brian to love you. Hate is not a strong enough word for what I feel for you, but...”


“I am sure that a man of your intelligence could come up with something, or is being with the lunkhead causing it to diminish?” He sneers before frowning when Ben smiles. “What?”


“...being with him has made me realise I never loved you. I loved what you brought me, and I was too scared of losing that. By being you, having your do as I say not as I do mindset, somehow you managed to strengthen my friendship with Brian. I have Debs, Vic, Ems, Ted, and now Mercy and Lisa because we bonded over how malignant you are. Justin?”


“Opprobrium. That’s another word for hate, but I feel nothing for what you did to me…”


“Nice show of bravado, but I know you were scared.” He looks gleeful, but when Lisa kisses her teeth then demands she be let out, he looks startled. “You should stop her, Your Honour.”


“I decide what occurs in my court!” We hold our breath and wait. “That’s close enough, Miss Mercedes.” I take a look and a smouldering Lisa is right in front of the stand. “Continue, Mr Taylor.”


“...thank you, Your Honour. What you saw in the morass that is your mind is what you want to see. What you did to Brian though, I look forward to you seeing what I think about that! Brian?”


BRIAN


Whilst part of me can reconcile how malignant, Michael has been, the other part is angry at myself for not seeing the full extent of it, how he was such a danger to Ben. He was prepared to kill him! 


“Mr Kinney?” DA Kingston interrupts my thoughts. “Are you going to make a statement?”


“Yes, sorry, was thinking about...something. So…”


“Well, what pithery do you have to say to me?” He interrupts.


“I am going to be nice to you for once. Your Honour, may I give him this?” I hold up a DVD that we all made.


“What is it?” Judge Kingman asks.


“The Rage movie. He won't get to see it, so…”


“Most unusual, but I will allow it. And your statement?” He prompts.


“That…” I point at the disc. “...is it.” I look Michael in the eyes. “Enjoy. Come on, guys, let’s go.”


The courtroom is buzzing with confusion as I lead everyone to the door. The clearing of a throat stops us, but Maz is smiling. “As statements go, it is impressive. And perfect.” She chuckles. “As the rest of your lives will be. Now, go enjoy them.”


As we head to our cars, I smirk a little at the memory of my neophyte asking for an exorcism…


Start of flashback

ESMERALDA SKYES FILM STUDIO - FIVE WEEKS PRIOR


SCREEN ROOM


“Uh, isn't that a little too much?” I ask, still staring at the page. “I get what you want, but that much?”


“No, it isn't. I am with Justin on this.” Mercy retorts. “What I don't get is why you think it’s overkill?”


“If you pardon the pun.” I smile, they don't. I look across at Barney; it seems I am alone in this. “We are basing one of the bashers on him, all the bashers die. Having his throat and eyes be ripped out before he dies and then his heart after is…”


“After? You mean you added more?” Mercy frowns and gestures for the sheet, her eyes widen as she reads. “Ummm, yeah that is going to bump our rating up. We want to reach as wide an audience as possible.” She blinks rapidly as she slides the paper to Lisa. “Is there a way to do that and keep it 15?”


Other than looking from the page to Justin as she reads, she says nothing. She turns it face down then shakes her head. Justin’s shoulders slump, but the clicking of her tongue perks him up, this means she has an idea. “First, you are scarier than me. Second, how about we do a DC of the movie and send it to him with that scene in it?” 


“That I could get behind.” I grin at the thought of what else we could put in his own special copy. “And speaking of behind, I think that you need to be thanked thoroughly for that idea, don’t you, Justin?” His eyes light up, a slow saucy smile spreading across his face. “Guys, the room please?”


“Kinney, what are you thinking of?” Mercy asks as they start to leave, Lisa and Barney are cackling as they run out. “Oh, naughty! Want us to record it or will you be able to draw from memory?”


“Both.” I reply and lick my lips. “And if anyone else wants in let me know.”


“Done!” She laughs, then leaves quickly as Justin starts to take off his clothes...

End of flashback


SCI GREENE - A MONTH LATER


HOSPITAL WING


MICHAEL


I stare up at the ceiling, tears of fury running down my face. I am furious because they found me and saved my life! And having done that, when they notified my victims they said nothing. I look at the stigmatas, from where I used the broken DVD to slash my wrists then throat. I mean, Ben and Drew were bad enough, just like Mercy and Caleb, when they were rutting like whores. But the fucking, for they don’t make love, between Brian and his toy will remain branded on what is left of my broken heart. When they agreed post-screw, they were going to do it raw, that’s when I lost it. 


“Package for you.” A guard says as he approaches.


I stop crying, wipe my face and sit up. “Who is it from?”


“Says here…” He reads the postal sheet. “...Ms L Dixon. You know that person?”


“No.” I frown and take it from him. “It’s from California!” I gasp.


“Your case caused quite a stir, when everything came out. Seems you may have a fan. Maybe they will do for you what they did for Charles Manson, you know, make a movie?”


“You think so?!” I start to feel better. “If they want to then I will of course do it! I can tell my truth and not what they said happened!” 


“Okay, well you gonna check it out?” He prompts, so I tear open the packaging. “Um, isn't that the same movie you did that with?” He gestures to my wrists, I nod but don't understand why it is here. “What does the note say?” In my excitement, I hadn’t seen it. As I read I start to cry again. “Can I read it?” I just hand it to him and lie back down. “Heard that you broke the last one, here’s another. Try chewing it, that way it will truly stick in your throat. From Lindsay Peterson.”


“Can you leave me alone now?” I whisper.


“You know, we can’t do that, we can't take the chance you will try again.” He replies as the nurse returns to her station. 


SIX HOURS LATER


“Time for your nap, Novotny.” The nurse orders and hands me my pills; finally after the annoying five minutes wait that she always does to make sure I don’t try and bring them back up and store them, she leaves me alone. I hope the pills kick in quickly, they seem to be taking longer these days.


“Ah, here is Dr Green. Do you need me to wait Dr? It's just I have…”


“No, carry on.” He smiles.


“I won’t be long.” She says and hurries out.


“How are you feeling, Novotny?” Dr Green asks as he takes a seat next to my bed.


“Odd, are you sure the strength is right?” I demand.


“The strength is just fine. I understand that you had a slightly upsetting package earlier, maybe it is the residual stress of that?”


“Maybe.” I concede then yawn. 


“See, you are feeling sleepy already, I shall be at the nurses’ station if you feel you need anything.”


“Okay, thanks, doctor.”


DR BRANDON GREEN


“My pleasure.” I sit at the station smiling as I watch him will sleep to come. But it won’t for a while, because I have him on the lowest dosage and strength possible. I look up at the knock at the door, smiling at the nurse as she comes back in, I lead my guest towards the exit.

 

 

She chuckles and loops her arm in mine. “Anyone would think you want rid of me!”! She pouts and I kiss her cheek. “Much better, now my darling boy, how are you?”


“Great, Marilyn, just great.”


“How’s he doing?” She looks back down the corridor. 


“Oh, poor lamb doesn’t seem to be able to sleep.” I return with a smile.


She raises an eyebrow then stops us from walking. “Are you sure I can’t tell Brian?”


“Positive.” I grin. “I just wish…”


“Brandon, it was meant to be the way it was for you two. They are destined and they won't indulge each other. Your neophyte will come. Once more, I can't say?”


“No, after what he didn’t do then…” I smirk as I remember him not collecting his winnings after the fuck bet with the words ‘tell them I was vigorous, legendary and had a great recovery, say whatever you want but don’t call me gentle or tender’ before  handing me back my clothes and pointing the way to the bathroom. “...the least I can do is make sure that the cause of the misery will suffer a million times more than he made them, waiting for the movie in his head to stop knowing but he can’t press pause.”


The End.

 

Chapter End Notes:

This is the end - hope you enjoyed it.

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

The End.
cookiebun is the author of 9 other stories.
soirsagrey is the author of 1 other stories.
MissMerlot is the author of 24 other stories.
brandi1111 is the author of 10 other stories.
PCBeachlover is the author of 3 other stories.
Midgardsnake is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 18 members. Members who liked Smoke and Mirrors also liked 625 other stories.