- Text Size +

CHAPTER 8 - THE POINT IS TO GET SELF OUT OF A HOLE...NOT BE AN ASSHOLE


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - TWO DAYS LATER


KITCHEN


BEN


“Michael, for the last time, yes I am still going to the dinner! I would always have been going to the dinner without you!”


“But that was with Brian, this is a new arrangement, which you should refuse.”


“No, and once again your petulance and jealousy has ruined a perfectly good day!”


“I am not…”


“This has nothing to do with me going with George, this is because I am going to be spending time with Mercy and you’re not!”


“What rot!”


“So you haven't been trying to get hold of her for the last two days?”


“I am calling her for Ma and Uncle Vic, just to make sure she’s still coming on Sunday.”


“She is.”


“How do you know that?” He eyes me suspiciously.


“Spoke to her yesterday, and before you give yourself an aneurysm or agitate your ulcer, she gave me and Brian her number when we first met her.”


“No, she gave it to Emmett, I was there when she did that.”


“But not when she gave us hers. That was before you came in.”


He doesn’t say anything, just throws his coffee in the sink and marches upstairs, but I know Michael, this will be revisited at another point. I take the opportunity to grab my jacket and walk out. As I head to the car, I once again try and figure out why his possessiveness has spiked up again so much. It started, the first time, during our second year, when he first met Brian, but they had a talk and by that I mean Brian tore into him after he would not let us, once again, have a night out without him…


Start of flashback

BEN’S HOUSE - FOUR YEARS AGO


LOUNGE


BEN


“You almost done?!” I yell, then look at my watch, and smile, I don’t know why I am bothering, he hasn’t even gotten into the shower yet, and I am proved right when he starts to come down the stairs.


“Beer?” He calls out as he heads to the kitchen.


“Yes, I would like one of my beers please.” I go to join him and come to a surprised halt as he is wearing just a towel. “Have you had a shower?”


“Mmm.” He chugs back on his beer then indicates his back and turns around. I notice the droplets and at first don't get what he is saying. “Can you oil my back?”


“Oh.” I blow on my hands then start to rub the oil in and stop. “Seriously, you like this?” I sniff my hands and recoil slightly. “It smells better on you, you can have it if…”


“Already packed it.” He admits with a shrug. “Where’d you get it?”


“I gave it to him!” Michael’s angry whine startles us both. “What the hell are you two doing?!”


“Getting ready to go out.” Brian sips his beer, but I can feel his anger starting to mount. “What are you doing here?”


“I was calling you, Ben, to…”


“For the love all things Marilyn! No, you can’t come with us!” Brian steps towards him then Michael gasps as I am left holding his towel. “Admiring the view?” He drawls. “This is all the taking it in you will get. I am going to get dressed. Towel please.” I hand it to him and he puts it over his shoulder and swaggers out.


“He did that on purpose!” Michael rails, and punches his hips.


“No I didn’t, and neither did Ben!” Brian comes back in, still with the towel on his shoulder, and grabs his beer, but it is almost empty so he takes mine then pauses as he raises it to his mouth. “Did you know he was coming?” I put my hands up. “Going to take that as a no, so my question is what the hell are you doing letting yourself in without clearing it with Ben first?!”


“I don’t have to...can you cover yourself up?!”


“You’re the only one bothered...and the one staring.” He arches an eyebrow and drinks some more beer while watching Michael until he looks away. “Seriously, if he comes, I don’t. Well, I will at some point, but you won't be my wingman.”


I close my eyes, they have never got on. I knew they wouldn't. It was one of the reasons, I waited for so long to introduce them. They are like oil and water, but I love them both very much.


“Michael. You’re not coming. This is mine and Brian’s night, we discussed this…”


“Ben. I am…”


“Behaving like a jailer, not my boyfriend of over a year!” I crack my knuckles.


“Don’t do that! You know it makes me cringe!”


“And you know not to just let yourself into my house! Now go home and think about what you have...Brian!” I snort before I try and fail not to snigger.


“What were you doing?!” He demands, turning to face him. “Well?”


“I am going to get changed.” He drains the rest of the beer, puts the bottle on the counter, then strides upstairs.


“What was he doing?”


”You wouldn't like it. Go home, Michael.” I recycle the empties and open the front door.


“One minute, Michael!” Brian calls out and comes back downstairs holding a bottle. “Take this with you, he doesn’t like it and now neither do I. I’m going to have another shower, need to wash that stank off me.”


“That was so rude!” Michael hisses. “You and I are going to have a full and frank discussion about your friendship with Brian and whether or not it can continue while you and I are together!” He yanks the door shut behind him and I am standing in silence for a few seconds.


I am nudged out of my stupor by Brian handing me his phone. “What’s it under?”


“Fucksmith of course. Gives good head, should you be needing relief after your little chat with the Warden.”


NEXT DAY - EARLY AFTERNOON


I open the door and Michael is looking out of breath and furious. “Problem?”


“Something is wrong with the locks.” He pants. “What’s happened?”


“You coming in unannounced yesterday happened, so I changed them. No, you don't get a key until I…”


“You are joking, surely! I. Am. Your. Boyfriend!”


“But only just.” Brian calls out as he collects his bag from the foot of the stairs. “Ben, we will see you next weekend. Don’t worry, Michael, I am talking about Ted. He will be there to protect Ben’s virtue from my dick’s voracity. Ciao.”


“Brian! Want your Double K?”


“Double K?” They both ask, one looking slightly more pleased by the other, but sometimes only a sharp winding jab will do.


“Your kiss goodbye and keys.” I pull them out of my pocket and wave them at him. “Come and get them.”


“His…” Michael manages to sound a combination of strained and furious, much like an angry mouse!


“With pleasure, and you can collect your Double K next week. I am sure Ted won’t mind watching. Now pucker up, my dear sweet and very sexy best friend.”


I know that I am storing up trouble for myself, but last night we wasted two hours getting the locksmith over and that ate into our time together. I can actually feel the anger coursing through Michael’s body as Brian pulls me closer and licks his lips. “Ready?”


“Always.”


“Stop that immediately! You have made your fucking point!”


“If we had made our point…” Brian snarls over his shoulder without letting go of me. “...and you took it on board, we would not be doing this. Not that I mind doing this, of course, I do like to snuggle.”


“One day, Brian, your behaviour is going to get you killed!” Michael screams.


“We’re done.” I hold tightly onto Brian as he has said one more odious remark from Michael and he will introduce his fist to his face. “Unless of course, you want me to let him go.” He squints at me as if to gauge my seriousness. “ I will hold you while he gives you the shellacking that deserves!”


“But look at the two of you!” He gestures wildly. “How would you react?!”


“Not like that! Like I said, we’re done!”

End of flashback


As I head into the car park to meet with Ted and Cynthia, I regret my weakness in taking him back. Brian and I didn’t talk for a couple of weeks afterwards, he was so disgusted. But then Michael apologised and mellowed out. But now it’s back in full force, in fact, it is seemingly worse!


“Hey, Bestie!” Ted calls out from his convertible, jolting me out of my trip down unpleasant lane. “How’s our boy doing?”


“What do you mean how is he doing? Haven’t you seen him?” I try to keep the panic out of my voice.


“Sorry, Ben! Sorry! I shouldn’t have teased you like that. I forget how bad it was for you when…”


“No, you turd! You shouldn't have!” I snap, and then rest my head on the steering wheel. A few seconds later, the door opens and the car rocks as he sits down.


“You can punch me if you like, even in the nuts. Not that I am using them for anything but pissing. Hell, even mild case of cystitis would be a welcome change.”


I turn my head and try to remain annoyed at this man, but he’s just such a decent human being it’s very hard to remain that way. Like Emmett, there is no malice in him, but unlike Emmett, he tends to not quite judge his remarks appropriately, much like Michael!


“Shall we go in then?” He jerks his head in the direction of the small townhouse that the four of us bought as our Keep Brian Alive HQ. “Cyn won’t be long and Ems is here already.”


“Yeah, let’s go.” I get wearily out of the car, and for a few minutes he says nothing. “He doesn't want me to go to the dinner now that Brian isn’t taking me.”


“Why isn’t he taking you?”


“Remember the guy that saved his life and visited him in the hospital?”


Ted stops walking. “You are joking, they met again?!” His jaw drops further.” And he’s taking him instead?!”


Yes and yes.” I hold the door open for him. “I have to admit to being a little disappointed that he dumped me so quickly…” We grin at each other as we remember Brian’s reaction to seeing him for the first time. “...the guy is beautiful. I am still going though…”


“How?” We both start at Caleb’s voice. “I missed that.”


“You know Mercy?”


“Yes.” “No.” They say at the same time with an added frown from Ted.


“Michael’s supposed best childhood friend, but he doesn’t seem to have gotten the we have grown apart memo.”


“Do we need to worry?” Ted frets.


“For Brian? No. She and her friend, George, who is taking me to the dinner, want Brian to work for them along with Justin, the beautiful hero. Not sure about how much problem she’s going to cause Michael.” I grimace as I say his name.


“Ah. Thought that was a very strident reaction. Catch me up.” Ted leads us to the lounge, where Ems is waiting with another man, whose presence causes Ted’s eyes to poing out of his head.


“Nice understated reaction there, Teddy.” Ems chuckles. “So allow me to put you out of your cock-uriosity. This is Blake, he works with Caleb. This is Ben and Teddy, he’s already met Cynthia.”


“Nice to meet you both.” He smiles and shakes our hands. “So, you’re my date?”


“Uh no, I’m going with George to the dinner.”


“Not you, Teddy. Teddy is my date.”


“I am? Why am I?”


“Well how else am I going to get closer to him to watch from the inner circle? Nobody is going to believe Caleb and I, but you and me, this they will believe.”


Ted’s Adam’s apple bounces up from his ankles. “Where, I mean, how are we going to be dating?”


“We’re going to meet at the dinner.”


“Hey boys, how far have you gotten?” Cyn strides in, ladened down with bags. “I have a message for you from Brian, box returned by 5pm or he gets dressed elsewhere.”


“Shit! I knew I forgot something. Such a hustle and bustle! Let me drop that off now. Caleb, you explain it all, and next time, Teddy, don’t go on holiday for two weeks and not check in! I don’t just worry about Brian you know! You were lucky I was distracted by the gorgeousness that is Mercy and my role as the Sooth of Love!”


“Sooth of Love…” Ted looks bewildered and besotted.


“Uh huh. One must twitter away!” he starts to leave and then his phone beeps. “Aww crap with a side of pisspots!”


“Let us guess.” I feel for the guy. Being so in demand does have its downsides. “Gregor?”


“Yep. Cyn tell him I will…”


“Tell him you were busy, but will be dropping it off at Debs on Sunday and staying for lunch. Mercy is going to be there, she’s been ignoring Michael’s calls.” He licks his lips. “I’ve persuaded Brian to come too.”


“I will be there about 1100…”


“Why so early?”


“Last minute trying on of outfit of course.” He gleams then blows us kisses and is gone.


“So, Caleb, can you tell us where Blake fits in here? Not that he is unwelcome by certain people and their appendages.” Ted goes vermillion and quickly sits down. “We’re even.” I smirk.


“Definitely.” He mutters.


“So before we talk about Blake, let me tell you about Hunter…” Caleb begins.


KINNETIC


TED’S OFFICE - TWO HOURS LATER


TED


I look at the picture of Blake again, and he is ravishing! I can’t believe, albeit pretend and for however long, he is going to be my boyfriend. I look up at the rapping on the door and my heart sinks.


“You got a minute?” Michael demands, not even bothering to wait for me to say he can come in. “Are you going to this dinner next week?”


I decide against bringing up his lack of politeness, as he would to me, before he launches into Project Sabotage Ben’s Night as I know he will. “Yes I am. Looking forward to it. Why?”


“How did you get a ticket?” His jaw ticks.


“Same way as Brian, we all got one…” I see the hope in his eyes. “...and we can take a guest, which is why Brian is taking Ben, or is it Justin, and I am taking Blake.”


“Blake? Who is that? When did you meet him?”


“Just before I went on holiday.”


“You kept that quiet.” He looks up to the ceiling. “And he’s definitely coming?”


“Yes. And speaking of quiet, I have a conference call in a few minutes that I need silence for, so…”


“Is this him?” He picks up the picture and stares at it. “A bit young for you isn’t he? Sure he doesn’t see you as a sugar daddy type figure?” He flicks it back onto the desk.


“You’re all about the romance. I can see why Ben stuck with you.”


“He is not sticking! Ben and I are very much in love!”


“But not joined at the hip!” I bite back.


“Well I shall leave you to your conference call. One of the benefits of working for yourself is that you are your own boss!” He taunts me as I follow him to the door.


“I went to Costa Rica first class all the way. And know the difference between working for yourself and no-one wanting to work for you!” I call after him then lock the door.


DEBS AND VIC’S HOUSE - SUNDAY MORNING


MICHAEL


I look out the window and sigh as she is still outside on her phone. Ben and Brian are upstairs getting changed in to their outfits for the dinner, and Emmett is yaddering to Ma about all the famous people they are going to meet there. It is just not fair! Ben is being so very selfish to go!


“Mercy!” Uncle Vic bellows from the front door. “Red or white?!”


“White, Uncle Vic! She prefers white!”


“Then why was she drinking red all the time in Jernigan’s?” Emmett calls over his shoulder.


“A minor aberration.” I shrug. “As kids when we would…” I trail off as I realise what secrets I was going to give away. “...never mind.”


“We knew about your drinking and you doing GAK.” Uncle Vic rolls his eyes.


“G...how did you know about that?!” I gasp.


“Kush makes you chatty. By you, I mean Mercy. She blabbered to her folks while still high, and they told us.”


I am about to say something when the door opens and she comes in grinning. “You grassed us up!” I tease her, and she pauses before looking at her phone again. “You told your folks about the GAK! I should really thank them for not…” I gasp as Uncle Vic punches me in the arm as he passes. “...ouch what?!”


“Still dead.” He hisses and hits me again. “Pull your head out of your ass, seriously! Luckily she tuned you out just then! I despair of you!”


“And she’s your best friend, this is basic stuff you’re supposed to retain.” Ben saunters down the stairs and everyone looks at him, he is absolutely gorgeous. “Well, what do you think?”


“I think you look…” Mercy is staring behind him. “...well toss my caber, don’t you scrub up nice?! Justin will be thrilled! And commando!”


“Thanks.” Brian blushes, I don’t think I have ever seen him blush before! “Do we get to see yours, Mercy?”


“Yes, what will you be wearing, since I won’t be there to see you in all your…”


“Okay what’s put that buzz in your knickers?!” Brian laughs as she punches the air then takes the wine off Uncle Vic and drains it.


“My piece de resistance. I have the body....”


“Oh you certainly have that sweetie. That is a fantastic body!”


“No not mine. But thank you very much. I have the Body for Rage.”


I stiffen as that is another sore subject for me!


“Body for Rage, what do you mean?” Brian pulls out a cigar and then waves it at Ma, who, I can’t believe this, nods! “Don’t worry little Wheezer we’re going to the garden. After you, body snatcher extraordinary.”


“Extraordinaire is what you should say.” I correct him and go to follow them outside.


“Uh no.” Brian stops me.


“What are you doing?”


“NDA. As in you haven’t signed one and…”


“Ben hasn’t signed one either!" I point out and try to get by but he’s not budging.


“Yes he has. All of us that were at the table have signed one.” Brian holds my gaze. “As have Debs and Vic. The only person that hasn’t is you, and she only brought two with her, so, unfortunately, you need to stay in here, which is just as well, especially with your delicate chest.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thanks.