- Text Size +

CHAPTER 9 - TWO NEW SIDES, ONE VERY OLD ONE AND THE END


BRIAN


I see something in Ben’s eyes I haven’t seen in a long time...fighting spirit...so I wait as his jailer turns to look at him.


“Brian’s right. You need to stay in here, we won't be long.”  He waves me ahead and I try not to tense up as I wait for the usual placating statement, but he just shuts the door behind us,


“So who is it?” I ask Mercy, but she is staring at the window. Sighing, she throws away the water in Vic’s glass, puts her music on, then slides her phone inside. Smirking she puts the glass as close to the edge of the table as she can.


“Can those who are supposed to hear, hear me?” She grins as we sit down around the table. “Oh, get Justin on this.” She waits for him to pick up, then chuckles when he does. “How long you been awake, Justin?”


“About an hour, am still in bed.” He chuckles. “Someone called late last night and kept me up for a while.”


“Twice.” I light Ben‘s cigar and hand it to him, I can hear the hiss of annoyance as there is a lull in the music. “You have a snake, Debs?”


“No, just an ass...I mean asp. Now come on, honey, tell us what’s got you all giddy as a gadfly.”


“We needed a body to be Rage, and I have nailed, sadly not literally, Drew Boyd.”


I look across at Emmett, he looks stunned. “Emmett, you okay?”


“Yes, sweets, I am fine, we are more than fine.” He starts to smile. “He said he had big news to share but couldn't yet.”


“Want to expand a little?” Ben is getting better at blowing rings.


“We dated, well fucked, for six months before he came out properly. We are both too top of our games to be in a relationship. Besides, he was too young for me.”


“He's older than you by two years.” Mercy clips the end of the cigar, lights it, and hands it to Debs. “Never found out about the six months thing during my research.” She looks thoughtfully between Emmett and I. “Is…”


“Me and Boyd don't have a problem.” I reassure her then glare at my phone. “I hope that is not you snoring!” I bark.


“I’m awake!” Justin replies quickly...too quickly.


“Oh good, so what do you think of Cameron Stind being Rage?”


“Cameron Stind? Why are they going with that stringbeaned pothead? He is totally wrong for that!”


“You were asleep.” I grouse. “When we are talking about work, it helps to be awake so you don’t miss pertinent information like it is going to be Drew Boyd.”


There is silence for a few seconds. I sigh and shake my head. “Give us a minute.” I take myself to a corner and close my eyes briefly. “Are you sulking?”


“You didn’t have to say that.”


“So yes you are. Justin, this is a work meeting, you need to pay attention.”


“Still didn’t have to say it in front of everyone.”


“I did, because you went back to sleep.”


“Which is your fault since you kept me up late, as I said earlier.” His tone has lost a bit of its frostiness.


“Can we go back now?”


“Yes.”


As I sit back down, the door opens and Michael comes out with a bottle of wine and one glass. “What are you doing out here?”


“You’re finished aren’t you?”


“No.” All eyes turn to him.


“This is where you leave.” Justin prompts.


“Who's that?” He looks at my phone but I cover it up.


“The other person who signed an NDA, which again you haven’t, not that it would mean shit to you. You’d blab or use it for your own ends anyway.”


“Then why can’t I stay?”


“You were supposed to deny that.” Emmett sighs crossly. “Let’s...”


“No need to be snippy, Honeycutt.” Michael bitches.


“Do not call him Honeycutt!” Mercy raps out behind a plume of smoke. “I’ve not known him long, but I know he hates that. So stop it.”


Emmett smiles his gratitude. “Shall we talk during the appointment instead?”


“Much better idea,” Ben glowers at Michael.


“I thought this was the last appointment? Shouldn’t you change out of that, what with the smoke and everything?”


“If anything, this is an appropriate piece of attire.” Emmett picks off a piece of lint from the sleeve.


“What do you mean?”


“It’s a smoking jacket. Ben said he wanted one.”


“I see.” Then he doesn’t say anything and the uncomfortable silence stretches on. “Well this is fun.” He pours himself a small amount of wine and goes through the motions of tasting it. “This is lovely, nice cool Chablis, who brought it?”


“Sauvignon Blanc as it says on the label, and I did.” Emmett returns. “Try and save some for the rest of us.”


“Excuse me.” Justin’s voice makes us all jump. “Can I go back to sleep now?”


“No. Stay awake, I will be there soon to tuck you back in.”


“How far away are you? Do I have time for a quick shower?”


“Um I don’t…”


“Thirty minutes tops.” Mercy interjects, and we all look at her, she looks sheepish, again. “I have no sense of direction, and hate satnav, so I did a test drive from mine to here. Justin is in the same enclave as me, well pretty close. He’s two away.”


“Oh, right. Well, I’ll see you soon, sleepyhead.”


“Both heads are wide awake now!” Justin laughs, but then clears his throat. “And I’m sorry for earlier, guys.”


“What did you do?” Michael queries with a concentrated expression. “Is that you, Caleb?”


“Accepted.” Mercy grins and shakes her head. “Get thee going, Mr Kinney, you have a wee bit of making up to do still. I am sure his apology will be appropriately hard felt, I mean heartfelt!”


“Oh very good, Mercy!” Vic snickers. “You’ve not lost your touch I see.”


“Nope, I can be whip smart or bitch smart, depending on who I am speaking to.” She rests her chin on her hand. “Why are you still here, Mr Kinney?”


“What she said.” Justin prompts me, and I start to gather my things. “Is he making a move?”


“Yes, oh impatient impertinent one. Hang up and get ready!”


“Honey, will you want to eat afterwards?” Debs asks smirking. “I can save you a plate if you want…”


“Just go before the boy explodes with longing!” Ben laughs, and takes another pull on his cigar, while ignoring the seething look from Michael.


BEN


I watch Brian virtually sprint up the stairs before coming back to dispense kisses on the cheeks of Debs, Vic and Mercy before dropping one on my head. “Call you later, bestie, we have to discuss bodies and techniques!”


“Look forward to that!” I call out to his scampering back and reach for the wine, but Michael moves it.


“Not Caleb then?” Michael tries again, but nobody answers. Sighing, he looks at the jacket carefully. “Where’d you get it?”


“Well not off a blanket.” Mercy’s response has Debs gaping at her.


“Oh my god! You remember that?!”


“How could I forget the horror of knowing and the hives that resulted from it?” She blinks at Michael who starts to look guilty. For the first time in years he is looking guilty!


“What’s this about?” Emmett, ever one for gossip, leans in.


“He bought me a present from an exclusive area...” She starts to scratch. “...a jumper, which was great until he told me where he actually got it, from a street seller behind the dog pound. I am allergic to most pet hair, but especially dog, think it was made of the damn thing.” He starts to go red. “I do believe mom burned it and then buried the ashes.”


“She was so pissed. Think she had to burn the bedding as well, didn’t she?” Vic laughs fondly at the memory.


“Yep. She had to stop dad from burning the bed. Good times.”


“Yeah, we did have good times didn’t we, Mercy?” Michael perks up. “So now that your business is concluded, what should we talk about? Oh I know…”


“So what are you going to be doing on Thursday, Michael?” Vic asks, and my stomach rolls.


“I will be at home or doing inventory at the store, while that lot is gallivanting at Gucci.”


“Will bringing you back a doggy or a gift bag stop the carping?” Emmett demands, and I am taken aback by the tone, as is Michael. “Because if it does, can you tell me how much one would cost, Mercy? I have never heard so much bitching and complaining about one thing in my life!”


“Oh, there is one more thing he moans about, and that is the amount of time Ben spends with Brian.” Debs adds, and my hackles start to go up.


“About $15,000, so no that won’t be happening.”


Emmett’s mouth drops open for a few seconds. “You are kidding, right?”


“Nope. The Gucci Film and Advertising Awards Dinner go all out and then some! I have still got to spend the voucher from the last one.”


“Voucher? Who’s that from?” Michael tops up his glass then wafts his hand in my direction.


“Louis Vuitton.” Mercy blows a stream of smoke in his direction, he doesn't have a problem with her smoke I notice!


“Not funny, Mercy.”


“Stupid question, Michael.”


“Not necessarily. It doesn't follow that the voucher is from them, there is no need to be snide about a perfectly sensible question!”


Mercy starts to smile. “Not snide, sarcastic, very sarcastic. And I…”


“Michael, behave.”


“Uncle Vic, that’s not fair! She is being arsey! As fucking usual, when she gets an audience she has to play up!”


“When you’ve quite finished being a brat-a-tat-twat damn fool boy, perhaps we can eat, Aunt Debs.”


“Don’t you dare speak to me like that!” Michael jabs his finger at her and I see Emmett’s eyes widen as Mercy puts her cigar down.


“I have free will and am exercising it…”


“What the hell?!” Michael exclaims as Mercy grabs him by the collar and almost pulls him across the table, I manage to stop the glass with her phone in it hitting the floor, but Michael glass is not so fortunate. Luckily Debs grabbed the bottle.


“This is me playing to the audience, want me to really get mad? Times have changed, I have changed, and you need to recognise, realise and respect that. If you can't do that, then my advice to you is walk on by!” She pushes him back into his seat and flexes her fingers. “So, Aunt Debs, what are we eating?”


MICHAEL


“Uh...lamb cutlets with green beans and garlic bread. Want to give me a hand, Michael?” I just nod and follow her into the kitchen. We stand in silence for a few seconds, watching Mercy talk to the rest of them as if she’s not done what she just did. “Well I think we have found her breaking point.”


“I cannot believe the way she manhandled me just then!” I wait for her to agree or at least say something, but she merely takes the beans off the fire. “Can you? She was almost savage…”


“Not one word. Not one.”


“Why do you always take her side? I am your son, you should stick up for me. And why did you have to mention something that I spoke to you in private about?!”


“I can't and won't stick up for you when you are being an ass! As for the private, we were in the diner and every damn day you complain about Ben spending time with Brian, we can set our watch to you sometimes. Now get the plates out so we can eat!”


“When was I an ass? Give me one time I was an ass today!”


“When you first got here, you were arsey about Brian and Ben being here with Emmett without you. When they wouldn't let you go upstairs to see what they had chosen for the dinner. When…”


“I meant with Mer…”


“Oh I see. When you made that unthinking comment about Charles and Celine.”


“I can't get my head around that they are dead, I sometimes forget.”


“We never can, it was awful to get that call. I can still hear the calmness in her voice.”


“You said that at the time, but I didn't understand it. How could she have been so calm? I would’ve been hysterical…”


“People react differently when they are in shock.” She looks thoughtful. “I wonder if we should swap to red for this, let me ask Ben.”


“You don’t have to ask Ben. I…”


“Couldn’t tell the difference between a Chablis and Sauvignon with the label facing you. Get the glasses out instead.”


I fume as she heads outside and speaks to Ben who nods, and then they all laugh when she says something that I can't quite hear, I wait for her to come back in. “I take it Mr Wine Expert said to change the wine?”


“And now, now you are being an ass again.”


“Of course I am, Ma, and you are being a bitch!”


“Go home, Michael.” It is said so coldly and quietly that it takes me a few seconds to realise that it is behind me...and it is Ben. “I have heard you say many a thing, but to call Debs a bitch is disrespectful. Go home. Your home.”


“Ben, it was in the heat of…”


“Go home or we are through.”


“Ben, it’s okay, we…”


“Not okay. Not okay at all. I will see you, Debs. No matter what the laissez faire approach to manners is in your house, Debs, he does not get to call you that! Please, Debs, stop calling him a son-of-a-bitch. By saying so you give him permission to call you that!”


DEBS


That realisation hits me hard. I’ve called him that for years, and never saw the irony. The amount of times Vic rolled his eyes, now I know why.


“Like Mercy and I, you don’t get the humour dynamic that is…”


“We’re done, Michael.” Ben takes off the watch he is wearing, which he gave him for their 3rd year anniversary, and puts it on the table. “Time has stopped for us.”


I look between the pair of them, or more accurately where Michael is and the space where Ben was, as he is now outside saying something to Emmett, who looks poleaxed as he takes the jacket off him. Then, without looking back, Ben walks out of the back gate. Vic rushes in as Mercy dashes after Ben.


“What the hell happened?!” He demands.


“They just broke up.” I look at a silent Michael. “Ben just dumped him.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be constructively kind. Thanks