- Text Size +

CHAPTER 5 - THE NIGHT, THE WHINE AND DO THE CLOTHES MAKETH THE DEAL


JUSTIN AND CHRIS’S HOUSE - LATER THAT EVENING


LANDING


CHRIS


“So we come over ten minutes after?”


“Mmm.” Jay nods around a mouthful of toothbrush and then goes to spit.


“So you reckon he is going to bring someone with him?”


“No, I doubt it.” He looks down at his outfit and then turns around.


“Too loose, put the black ones on.” Daph orders as she comes out of my room, eliciting a huff of annoyance. “If you didn’t want an opinion then don't show us your ass!”


“If I drop food on them then you are getting them dry cleaned!” He yells from his room.


“If you drop food in the right place, then Brian will clean them…”


“...with his tongue.” I laugh, and he steps out doing up his pants and trying not to smile. “Button fly.”


“I am not changing again!” He moans as he stomps back into his room. “Well, maybe the shirt to the…”


“Silk and cashmere jumper!” Daph and I say together and smirk at his growling.


DEBS’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


DEBS


I shoot a quick look at Michael as he is looking peevish, might as well get this over with. “What did you say this time?”


“Me?! He admitted he lied about where they were...no, correction, he played along, it was Brian who lied!”


“Michael…” Vic ever the Devil’s Advocate begins, especially when he wants to watch TV. “...Brian is his best friend. You were spiteful, and…”


“Apologised.” He grinds out. “And then Emmett was so ill mannered when I was speaking to him…”


“Emmett is one of the politest chaps I...well The Avenue knows. Have you noticed, Vic, that in all of this injurious behaviour that…”


“Sis, let’s just let him vent and be on his way.” He mutters while Michael goes to get his phone.


“And date night is cancelled, not by me, but by him! I have a good mind to just go out anyway!”


“Why don’t you?!” Vic asks, a little too enthusiastically, so I jab him in his side and he heads to the lounge. “I mean, you don’t want to stay in moping!”


“That’s a good idea, actually, and I can see Mercy too.”


“Mercy?” Vic queries and stops walking so I start to reach for my phone slowly and discreetly.


“Yeah, she’s got a dinner thing with some old guy. She works with him, he's not her boyfriend or anything of course. Now where did the fuck he say they were going?” His face twists in concentration. “She can smoke there…” He tisks in disgust. “Can’t stand the smell, and she’s now on cigars! And Ben smoked one with him…”


“Cigars?” I give Vic a keen look as I just know he’s going to let the cat out of the bag. “There’s Jernigan’s, or…”


“That’s it! Thanks, Uncle Vic! I will go there, let me grab a quick shower, and…”


“Here? You don’t have clothes to change into.” I scramble, and Vic, as he realises what he has done, discreetly waves his phone and backs out.


GARDEN - TWO MINUTES LATER


VIC


“YOU IDIOT!” I curse myself and scroll down to find her number. “What the hell did I save it under?!” I shake my head to jog my memory. “Ah, yes, Emerald Stone.” Taking a quick look in the window and grimacing as Debs is having trouble getting the barnacle that is my nephew to leave. “Hey, sweetheart, I have blabbed to someone…”


OUTSIDE BRIAN’S LOFT - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“You are the one who wants to check him out!” I laugh into the phone as I head down the street. “Okay, okay. Look, once you say hello, go jerk off, alright?!” I laugh harder as he hangs up without saying goodbye.


“Brian!” I snicker again and wait for Emmett to catch me up, and, as is his want, immediately he links arms with me. “Well, fancy meeting you here! Going my way?”


“No, I am not going your way, Honey...Emmett,” I side eye him as he starts to look me up and down. “You want me to go and change, don’t you?”


“Maybe the pants.” He twists his lip pleadingly. “Just imagine you’re getting ready for a fuckfest and undress that fast!”


“Shitkicker.” I mutter, and turn back. “Which pair?!” I yell.


“Dark blue suede!” He calls back, and then runs to catch me up. “Did you see the photos?”


“What photos?” I ask as I open the door and let us in, smiling as he immediately swoops to the cart and takes the Beam and two glasses to the bedroom with him.


“Oh good!” He grins, and I am once again at a loss at some of his thought processes. He may be one of the best, correction is the best dresser in Pennsylvania, but he is a scatterbrain sometimes! But...and it is a very grateful but...after I got shot and was in recovery, he was one of the first to come to see me, and the first thing he did was redo my wardrobe, saying that I am emerging as a new butterfly. I love the guy so much, but of course I would never tell him that! And that’s one of the reasons I no longer call him Honeycutt, he absolutely hates it!


“So...here.” He hands me a glass. “Blue pants, chop-chop.” I get changed into them and wait, because I know him. “The green and blue tee and that jacket. There, done!”


I survey myself in the mirror and he rests his chin smugly on my shoulder. “It’s lucky you are so tall, I would hate to have to crow from lower down...whatever would people think?!”


“Come on, let’s go and...now what?” He is holding out his hand, and, with a sigh, I hand it over.


“Thank you.” He beams, pocketing my phone. “I take it Benjamin is gracing us with his presence?”


“Yep, you going to hang around too, or is there a chance I could have this date alone?”


“Very briefly. You need to in the flesh this, I will make sure that Ben comes with me, and you and your hero can be as one as you should be.”


JERNIGAN’S - AN HOUR LATER


GEORGE


I settle down to people watch. At my age, the best I can do is watch the beautiful people flit by. And, speaking of beautiful, my mind goes back to Emmett, those twinkly eyes and cute smile...but he’s much too young for me!


“George? It is George, isn’t it?” I look up and smile at Ben. “I’m…”


“Ben. Yes, I remember, I am not totally infirm.”


“Oh, I didn’t mean...!” He holds up his hands in apology, but I smile and pat the seat.


“I am, however, one for pulling a leg. Now, what would you like to drink?”


“What are you having?” He takes a seat with a look of relief.


“Blueberry martini. Mercy turned me on to it.” I signal the barman and he nods. “She also turned me into this, in fact, she insisted that I wear it. Personally, I think I’m too old.” He looks at the smoker’s jacket in dark green that she had bought for me when she got here and shakes his head. “Now, do not indulge the ego of an older man. Tell me the truth.”


“You look great in it. It’s a good colour on…”


“Ben! What are you doing here?” I think both our hearts sink as the rude runt from earlier strides up to the table and sits down without so much as a bye or leave! “Hello. Remember me?”


“Yes, and you have not improved in your absence.”


“Will the gentlemen be joining you, sirs?”


“Yes, I will.” He replies, and peers at the drink. “One of those, please, and a beer as well.”


“Good god!” Ben suddenly says, and is staring at the door. “He is a very lucky man!”


I look up and then my heart stops as it is him! I had no idea he would be here!


“Who is?” Michael looks over his shoulder. “Who the hell is that?! I mean, Ben, I am here you know?!”


CHRIS


I turn Jay back around as he starts to retreat. “You are here now, stop it!”


“I said we should meet outside!” He grumbles as we force him towards the bar, and almost everyone tracks his movements.


“And stop pulling!” Daph swats his hand as, yet again, he tugs at the jumper to make it baggier.


As we make our way to the bar, we look around. Now that everyone has stopped gawking at Jay, they go about their business. I groan as my eyes alight on the idiot from the diner, and he glares back at me. I stare back until the waiter gets between me and him, thereby giving him a reason to concede, judging by the way his eye was twitching!


“This is really nice!” Daph signals the barman and he’s over in a flash but promptly asks Jay what he wants.


“You to serve my friend who signalled you.” He replies coolly, and there is a snicker behind us.


“Feisty little devil, aren’t you?”


I watch Jay’s Adam’s apple bob, and then he starts to smile as he looks in the mirror above the bar. “That depends…”


“Before you finish, why not turn around and say hi?”


Daph and I look at each other as a pair of hands rest on either side of him and he slowly turns around, which means we can as well. And oh my goodness...from a purely aesthetic point of view - oh hell yeah!


“Hi.” Justin says quietly, his eyes fixed on the mouth of the guy.


“Hi.” He replies and then kisses him...well when I say kisses him, I mean drains all rational thought or feeling, other than that one from his body. Two minutes later there is a soft pop as they part lips and he waggles his eyebrows. “Been waiting long?”


“Four years.” Justin replies and leans against him. “Oh, sorry man…”


“Obie Trice

Real name no gimmicks

Two trailer park girls go round the outside,

Round the outside, round the outside

Two trailer park girls go round the outside,

Round the outside, round the outside

Guess who's back, back again

Shady's back, tell a friend

Guess who's back, guess who's back?

Guess who's back, guess who's back?...”


Blaring out halts whatever he was going to say as a fierce car pulls up outside the restaurant and we stare, at the car and the driver. “You’re here!” Emmett squeals, and then grabs her hand and pulls her in our direction. “Avec moi tout suite!”


“Good God!” Justin gasps. “She is…”


“...wearing my boots! Ooh and beautiful!” Brian exclaims looking at her feet. “In fact, she is wearing my entire...Emmett! Give me my phone!” Emmett grins and hands it over. “You bastard! Hi, I’m Brian, and this is…”



“Mercy, what a surprise!” The idiot interrupts, and, judging by that expression, she is not impressed.


“It is not. You knew I would be here meeting George, so don’t be all skippy-la-kangafool!”


“Kangafool!” Justin laughs. “Hi, I’m…”


“Justin Taylor. Yeah, I know. I’ve been looking for you...” Immediately we are all on our guard, and Brian pulls Justin closer to him. “Stand yourselves down. Let’s go and sit with George, who has been looking for you, Brian. We are killing two birds with one stone it seems. No, first, let’s order some drinks and then go outside. It’s a nice evening. George, bring the lovely non-Lucite Ben with you! He can keep his boyfriend entertained while we chat.”


You drew the short straw there, Ben!” I can’t help but jibe, and the idiot glares at me and then Ben, who says nothing in contradiction.


CIGAR GARDEN - FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


MERCY


I lead the bewildered group to the table I had spotted and wait for them to get settled. “Do you have dinner reservations? Or can I take my time to savour three things: your company, the cigar and the…” Sighing I trail off. “...okay potted history, Irish redhead mother, hence the green eyes and freckles and a Jamaican father, hence the rest of my colouring and lips. So yeah, they are both real. Anything else?”


“You missed out about me being your best friend. And what do you two want with those two?” Michael annoys me again...seriously, how does he not see that his lack of support still fucking hurts, and he has to make good on that before he runs his crapatattrap?!


Anybody else, have anything to ask about my physicality before I continue?”


“You need to answer my question first, Mercy.” Michael prompts, and starts to drum the table.


“Michael, can you stop that?” Ben orders. “It’s annoying and rude.”


“Much like him.” The other blonde smirks, and I decide I like him…first for the remark, and second, because he got Michael to stop!


“And you are?”


“Chris Hobbs, and this is Daphne Chanders, we’re his best friends.”


“Call me Daph.” She grins at me.


“She’s not wired that way.” Michael interjects...a-frigging-gain!


“Neither am I. I was being friendly. You can call me Miss Chanders. In fact, I would prefer it if you didn't speak to me at all.”


“You brought your best friends on a date with you? How pathetic! How old are you?!” Michael goads Justin and looks around the table for backing, which like him, he finds lacking.


“You said George wanted Brian.” Emmett brings us back to the point of this hastily arranged, and irksome in patches, gathering. “Why?”


“First, I am sorry for what happened to you. Are you back to robust health?” George pats Brian’s hand, much to his surprise.


“Uh, yeah, getting there. But…”


“Is it your functionality?” George queries gently.


“No, he can still fuck, trust me on that! He’s become even more of a Stud instead of less of one!” Michael chuckles, and again he’s in the minority.


“Ignore him.” Brian smiles at George. “Drives the dipshit batshit crazy.”


“I shall remember that, should I, once more, have the disappointment of being in his unamusing presence.” George remarks, and Michael grimaces as everyone laughs at him. “But, back to my question, can you still draw, Mr Kinney?”


“Yes, that is the one thing I worked so fucking hard to get back was my ability to…” He pauses and then stares hard at George. “...I know you. It’s really dim, like a fog-filled room, but I know you.”


“Yes, yes, you do. Will it be counterproductive to prompt or does it have to come back in its own time?”


“Give me a clue.” Brian nods slowly.


“You sure?” Emmett asks, and I catch the look that George gives him.


“Yeah, I’m sure. George?”


“I am George Schickel of Schickel Films,  and…”


“You are kidding me?!” Justin exclaims. “I thought I recognised you! I have watched every movie you have ever produced, directed or financed!”


“Every one of them? Your parents must be very liberal minded!” George titters, and Justin blushes.


“They didn’t know I watched them before, admittedly. It was only after I came out that Dad watched one with me, and…”


“What?!” Chris and Daphne exclaim, and I can’t help but laugh.


“He wanted to understand it, so…” Justin sighs. “...most embarrassing two hours of my life!”


“Oh, don’t feel too bad, at least your Mother didn’t offer to lend you her sterilised vibrator.” I remark, and take a sip of my drink, while horrified expressions wash over people’s faces. “No, I am not kidding. Bless her, she thought I was working too hard.”


“What the hell were you working on?!” Emmett splutters between chuckling.


“I was 14 at the time, studying for my exams.” I look around the table and everyone is smiling; well, almost everyone. “Anyone else want to share something?”


“No!” ls the universal answer.


“So, back to you, George, and your gentle walk down memory lane.”


“Mercedes, that was crass!” Michael exclaims, and looks at me in such a censorious manner I am sorely tempted to stick the cigar I am about to light up his ass, glowing end first!


“Be quiet.” Daph orders...and I signal for another drink for her and then light my cigar.


“What’s that?” Brian sniffs appreciatively. “I haven’t smelt that in a long time.”


“Partagas Pet…”


“Petit corona especiale. Jesus.” Brian sighs and looks longingly at it.


“Have five, want one?” I tap the box and he pounces with relish.


“You ever smoked a cigar, Justin?” He asks him as he expertly unwraps it and clips the end. He shakes his head, mesmerised by those long fingers. “Actually, can I have the Le Flor for him? I think I spotted one in there.” I nod then we swap over and I slide him across the lighter. “Where did you get that?”


“Cartier. And I didn’t, it was a gift.” I take it swiftly off him and he grins.


“Didn’t I say? Didn’t I say, Ben, she’s him in girl form!” Emmett almost squeezes the air out of Ben, who just smiles. “So, are we all going to smoke?”


“Can we?!” Daph exclaims, eyeing the box keenly.


“Uh, yes but not these, only a proper connoisseur or a neophyte get these beauties, let me get a box for the table.”


“I don’t want one. You know I don’t like the smell of cigarettes, let alone cigar smoke, I have a very delicate chest.” Michael forces out a few coughs.


“So go inside then!” A tall man sneers, and then smiles at me.


“Can you excuse me a moment, I need to go and check if there is a table inside for the...” He does a headcount. “...six of us.” He glowers at the guy before striding off.


“Six how does he make it six?” I frown as Ben sighs crossly and I just shake my head. “Did you want...it's Caleb isn't it?”


“Yes and lord have Mercy, you really do have the most incredible eyes.”


“Thanks. Again.” I mutter, shifting under his scrutiny, much to George’s amusement. “Well, I’ll see you around.”


“I hope so.” He declares, and I try not to watch him walk away...I get busted in seconds!


“Back to Brian.” I challenge George to push that button...he holds up a hand.


“So you can...would you like to instruct him in the fine art of cigar smoking first?”


“Sorry, no, it’s okay, I can show him later. How much for the cigar?” He asks me as he puts it carefully away, but I shake my head. “Yes, I can still draw.” Again he tries to reach for a memory. “A little help, it is so frustrating when you can almost see…” George goes to speak but Ben squeezes his arm. “...did, did you contact me or something like that? I have a feeling we spoke, or at least we saw each other.”


“We did. I am going to produce a film about a gay superhero called…”


“Rage.” Brian whispers. “It was Rage, wasn't it?”


“Yes it was.” George almost looks like he’s going to cry and accepts the handkerchief from Emmett. “We were at the beginning of negotiations when…”


“He saved my life.” He nods at Justin who looks at his hands and Daph and Chris look so proud. “He stayed with me, and...the rest is history.”


“Excuse me, the cigars?” The waiter interrupts politely. “Who shall?”


“Brian, of course. That’s this guy.” Michael asserts as he comes back. “Now why don’t you and…”


“Do you mind, Brian?” He waves at me to continue, so I take the box then lick my finger and hold it up in the air. “I think that we should move to that table, wind is not right. That would be okay, wouldn't it?” The waiter nods and signals a colleague to help move us. “Before we sit, I think Emmett and George should be next to each other…”


“What for?” George squirms.


“That way you can both look properly instead of surreptitiously.” I chuckle at the speed that Emmett indicates that Chris should move out of his way. “So then it is Chris next to Daph, Ben next to me...you bumsuck don’t you?”


“Most gay men do.” He laughs, getting yet another prudish look from Michael. “I will concede to the connoisseurs of the table and take their leads.”


“Good, Luci-blue.” I tease him, and Michael fumes. “So Brian next to George, and Justin opposite, so you can watch and follow. Chris and Daph next to Justin, and that puts you at the end, Michael, the bottom of the table...actually, Brian, you should swap with me, you be the top.”


“As I should be.” He grins, and we swap so that he and Ben are sitting next to each other and Michael sounds like a meat grinder.


“So, shall we wrap this up and then teach them how we do?” I smirk at Brian who tilts his head in permission. “Okay, so George...ahem, George, stop blue gazing and listen to what I am saying! George wants to restart Rage again, and…”


“Restart? Why did you stop?” Daph asks.


“Because he got shot.” George sighs. “There was only going to be one person to promote the film, and that was going to be my ang...oh that smells exquisite!” He declares as I start to prep the cigars for everyone. “Sorry, I digress, I was going to start with promotion before I asked him to be the AD on it instead.”


“AD? Sorry, Mercy, can you let him finish before you do that?” Chris pleads as his neck cricks loudly.


“AD as in artistic director, not assistant director. I want you to draw him, bring him to life.” George looks at a poleaxed-paused-with-cigar-to-mouth Brian. “I am serious, this is what the meeting was going to be about.”


“And he wants you.” I point at Justin. “But not as much as I want you.”


“Uh…”


“What are you doing for the summer?”


“Nothing much. Why?”


“What if I could make it so that your two...sorry, now three, passions are indulged?”


“My passions? You don’t know me! Well I don’t think you do.”


“I know everything about you, which makes you the guy I want. As for your passions...music, film and now...him.” I point to Brian. “So what if I could arrange for you to indulge in all three?”


“How?”


“He draws Rage and you write the music?”


“Are you serious?!” Justin looks incredulous.


“Yes. So are you two in or not?” I hold the Cartier lighter in front of Brian. “Take it, consider it a downpayment, and…” I gesture to my outfit. “...I have to look good, these pants can’t be got anywhere…” He looks at Emmett who nods ruefully. “...unless you say yes. And a pair will be delivered...”


“Pants, tee and the jacket?”


The corner of my mouth lifts and I signal my chap. He’s quickly over with a box, but before Brian can get to it Emmett intercepts. “Clear a space, people!” He orders, and room is quickly made. “Oh...oh my.” He breathes as he pulls out the pants. “Moleskin, they are moleskin! If he doesn’t say yes, can I have them?!”


“I love this!” Justin cries, out taking out the tee. “Can I borrow it?” He bats his eyes at him.


“Yes, and yes, but nobody is wearing the jacket first but me!” He reaches across for the lighter. “You have no idea what you have signed up for!”


“As long as we have fun finding out, tis all good in my hood!” I laugh, and hand it to him. He looks at Emmett and the yet to be out of his hands pants, then back at me. “Like I said, all good in my hood.” I nod and smile.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thank you.