- Text Size +

CHAPTER 6 - A FRIENDSHIP, A LESSON IN CIGARS AND DINING IN GUCCI

 

MICHAEL

 

“There is a table free in there.” I call out to Mercy. “Let’s go in.”

 

“We can’t smoke in there.” She replies without looking up from the box.

 

“That’s my point.” I reply tersely. “Remember, my chest is very delicate.”

 

“It isn’t…” Brian retorts as he twirls a lighter. “...you just don’t want us to smoke, and, of course, there is the little matter of him checking her out.”

 

“Who him?” The date asks, and looks around. “Oh him. Yeah, he’s zeroed in on you.” He grins at her.

 

Mercy lifts her head and looks around before shrugging, like I knew she would, she’s not interested and I am delighted. She gives the best bitcjections as she calls them. “Tell me something, Michael, do you remember the GAK we did?”

 

“GAK?” I pause and then smile. “Oh yes, I remember! Why?”

 

“Did Aunt Debs or Uncle Vic ever find out?”

 

“No, thank God!” I chuckle, and again feel smug that she is paying me some attention.

 

“So you’ve not done it since?” I shake my head, wondering where she is going with this. “We can revisit our history if you want?”

 

“You have some?” I gasp, and she does a thumbs-up. “Absolutely! But where though?” I grab my coat and start to stand.

 

“Not now, Michael, after this. I mean, it is okay for us to smoke now that you and your delicate chest wanna GAK, isn’t it?” She holds my gaze and I am irked that she has caught me out like this! I sit down then notice the looks on Brian’s and the other blonde’s faces and that makes it rankle even more.

 

“Good.” Mercy goes back to the cigars.

 

“What is GAK?” George asks.

 

“Grade A Kush.” The other blonde replies, and we all look at him in surprise. “I, well we, aren’t as innocent as all that.”

 

“You? You did drugs in your youth?” Brian scoffs still twirling the lighter. “I thought you had a dick, I mean stick up, your ass since birth.”

 

“Don’t you think you should give Mercy her lighter back, since you aren’t going to use it?”

 

“Not hers. Not anymore.” He replies coolly before pocketing it.

 

“Brian, you can’t do that.” I tell him sternly. “It belongs to…”

 

“Me. She gave it to me in downpayment for future services.” He retorts, and at that I look sceptical. “Not everything is about sex, Michael, especially with girly parts. I don’t know why I am explaining this, but here goes...I will be working for Mercy and George, and this lighter, this fabulous Cartier light…” He pats his pocket. “...is part down payment for services about to be rendered.”

 

“What are you talking about?” I look at Mercy for confirmation, but she is too busy with the cigars. “Merc…”

 

“For god sake, Michael!” Ben snaps. “You are not his PA! He does not owe you an explanation nor does she. Do you tell her everything that you are doing?”

 

“No, but she’s my best friend. You know what Brian is like, promising one thing and delivering something completely different, or nothing at all.”

 

“Michael.” Ben warns, and I huff in annoyance.

 

“What’s that about?” George looks at me intently. “I have heard nothing but good things about Mr Kinney’s integrity and professionalism.

 

“Maybe in some areas of his business life, but when it comes to his friends then he tends to take a much more relaxed approach.” I cast my eye at Brian, waiting for him to defend himself over his broken promise to me.

 

“I never promised you anything, Michael, and I don’t lie. Besides, we’re not friends, we are acquaintances, and that’s a very tenuous grip and nebulous description.”

 

Mercy sighs heavily and stops doing what she’s doing. “You clearly want to say something, so out with it so we can move onto smoking these beauties.”

 

“Brian promised to help me with a comic book concept I had, but he backed out at the last minute. I hope whatever arrangement you are going in with him works out better for you.”

 

“No he didn’t!” Ben snaps, smacking the table to emphasise his point. “I was there during the very sober conversation you had with him! Which, if you recall, was after you asked him the night before when he was drunk off his ass!”

 

“But he had said yes!” I argue. “He should’ve stuck to that!”

 

“Do you abide by every drunken promise you make?!” Brian barks at me. “Say yes to that and I will remind you of what you promised Ben one night. Unlike you, Michael, I don’t have that much selective recall...and don’t make a bitcherty comment about that!”

 

“How are we rehashing this age old history?” Emmett demands, as if this has anything to do with him. How rude!

 

“This is not rehashing history, which you know nothing about anyway! It is a warning to George and Mercy that Brian can be flighty when the mood takes him!”

 

“It was a pile of shit, terribly written, and I would never put my name to something like that, not even my pseudonym!”

 

For some reason Mercy and George are sniggering. “What’s so funny?”

 

“I know his pseudo, and it must be bad if he wouldn't use that!” George laughs and I go right off him!

 

“Well you can’t say you weren’t warned.” I advise primly. “So what is Brian working with you on?”

 

“You were right there when we had this conversation.” Emmett grumbles. “And that is their business. Also, everyone knows that Brian turned you down. Now, I want to suck on that, and if you have a problem go in there and wait for us to finish!”

 

“I will. Ben, I will see you in there!” I order, and stalk to the table that I had reserved and wait for him to join me.

 

JUSTIN

 

“Well, as first dates go it’s been…”

 

“Oh shit!” Mercy exclaims. “Really?! I know he said date, didn’t realise it was your first. Not with that kiss. Look, let’s leave them to it, guys, we will go over...there! One of you grab that table!”

 

“No, honestly, it’s been fun was what I was going to say.” I laugh, and Brian’s lips twitch in amusement. “I have never seen two people who are so different but so similar.”

 

“I am never wrong about auras, and theirs are ideally matched.” Emmett nods but then his face falls. “But you and him…” He points to the inside of the restaurant. “...in both your cases, I do not understand. The auras are all wrong but you still hang around.”

 

“Kiss.” Brian states with a frown at Mercy. “How long had you been sitting in your car? And what about the clothes, that is…”

 

“You have Mr Honeycutt to thank, because he gave me the idea. It took some calling I tell you, but that being said, we knew you love good clothes, so we have another wardrobe on standby just in case you needed more persuading.” Mercy lights the cigar and leans back. “You were well known for your sartorial choices before everything happened, so it stands to reason that a lure would be clothes amongst other things…” She taps her jacket pocket with a smile.

 

“But the kiss?” Chris looks at her curiously. “You couldn't have seen them, unless you had been there watching and headed back to your car. To make it look like you had just arrived.”

 

‘Nope. I am not some stalker or Peeping Tanya. Jernigans has a TV screen outside that shows the inside of the bar. I was watching on there, and…” She looks sheepish. “...like most of us got a little caught up, I forgot to put the handbrake on and almost crashed into the car in front; in panic I flung it in reverse and in doing that managed to turn on the music. So I slammed it into drive and styled it out as aggressive parking.”

 

Brian starts to snigger. “I thought I heard the crunch of gears being ground. How long have you had it?”

 

“And what is it?” Chris starts to relax as Brian’s grin widens because Mercy looks both proud and exasperated.

 

“A week and a Mercedes S350 convertible. Tricked out, of course...a little too tricked admittedly, as I haven’t quite worked out what everything does, let alone where it is. Now in all seriousness, let's move and leave them to it. In fact, why don’t we go inside and…”

 

“We’re not going to smoke them?” Chris looks crushed.

 

“Yes, there is a smoking room in there…” George explains with a mischievous look. “...and judging by the crowd out here, it is going to be free. If you would like to check with the bar...”

 

I don’t think I have ever seen Chris move so fast in my life.

 

“Eager to lose his cigar cherry, isn’t he?” Brian gives me a smouldering look. “What about you? Want to wrap your lips around something dark and smoky?”

 

“Yeah, we’re leaving now!” Daph declares. “Even if we have to share a table with the mouth, we’re leaving now!”

 

“Emmett, you can leave the box.” Brian points out.

 

“I could, but if I leave it then I would have to take your phone...and you won’t be able to have phone sex with him later if I do that, now would you?”

 

“Can you at least drop it off tomorrow?”

 

“Of course.”

 

In no time at all it is just the two of us, and he pats the seat next to him. “I won’t take too big a bite…” I get up and move, but just a seat nearer and pat the seat next to me. “...ah, it is going to be like that is it?”

 

“Like what?” I smile as he moves closer, but, like me, not where I want him. “It seems like we are trying to see who is going to come out on top…”

 

“Considering you have been waiting for me, how do you know what being on top is like?” Now there are two seats between us.

 

“Same way as you don’t know what not being on top is like. Shall we meet in the middle as it were?”

 

“On three?” He suggests.

 

“Who gets to count?”

 

“Oh, for…!” Emmett declares before coming over and removing the two chairs. “I don't have to shove you together too, do I?”

 

“No. Now go away, you meddlesome sooth!” Brian orders, moving closer.

 

“I move when he moves.” He announces and stares unwavering at me. “Honey, I do all the major fashion weeks on a bounce. And never get jet lag.” I look at Brian and he crooks his finger so I move closer. “Ta-ra darlings.”

 

We both watch him almost skip inside and I turn back to Brian. “Why am I more nervous here than I was in your loft?”

 

“I figured you were, just…”

 

“Oh, don't bullshit me with your bravado! I know your nervous look too, remember? It’s in your eyes.” He sits back, and, finally, with a small lift of his shoulder, concedes. “Come on then, show me.”

 

“Nobody likes a soggy end in their mouth.” He unwraps the cigar. “Now, the reason you have this is because you are a neophyte. And the taste combo of the two is superb.”

 

“Of what? My tongue and that?”

 

“Your…” Again the smouldering look. “No, my cigar and your cigar.” I move closer when he puts his arm over the back of the chair. “Now open up, let me show you…” This time I give him a heated look. “...I’ll just hold it while you suck then?” As he puts the end between my lips, he brushes my cheek. “Have you smoked anything before?” Our eyes lock and I wink at him. “Don’t inhale the smoke itself, just hold it in your mouth before letting it out, see if you like it.” He clears his throat as I let out the smoke in a rush sounding like I am trying to suppress a sneeze. “Not bad, now watch.” He lights his, and, as his lips open and close over the end, I can feel all eyes watching us.

 

“That…” I murmur. “...was one of the sexiest things I have ever seen.”

 

“That’s nothing, wait until you feel my mouth on your stogie.”

 

“Christ.” I almost whimper. “Did you have to say that?”

 

“You started it.” He smirks, still stroking my cheek, I reach up to stop him but he grasps my fingers and looks at them carefully. “Want to leave?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Drop you off at yours? And I phone you the moment I get home?”

 

“Oh yeah.” I stroke his palm and hear him swallow.

 

“Chris and Daphne?” He prompts.

 

“I’ll text...oh, Daph has my phone, I won’t be long.”

 

“Good.”

 

INSIDE THE RESTAURANT

 

MICHAEL

 

I sit back down fuming, Ben has still not joined me, but seeing Justin come in, it looks like they are finally making their way inside. I am starving and annoyed with all three of them! I can’t stay mad at Mercy for too long, she’s my best friend after all, but am definitely pissed at Brian and Ben! I look up from the menu as he approaches. “Have you finally finished infecting your lungs? I shall order some drinks for…”

 

“Where’s the Smoking Room? He asks talking over me. “I need my phone...oh, excuse me, could you direct me to the Smoking Room please?"

 

At least his manners are precise occasionally!

 

“Yes, just on the left past the bar.” He starts to walk away but then pauses. “You’re in for a double treat.”

 

“Why’s that?”

 

“Well that is a very fine cigar, and that is a very fine man.” The waiter grins.

 

I sigh in exasperation. “Why do you want to know where the Smoker’s Room is? And, just so you know that I look after my friends, especially my best friend, I hope now that you are associating with Brian you don’t disappoint her like he disappointed me.”

 

“You are so rude and weird, it’s no wonder they left you here!”

 

“Left me?! You mean they’ve gone?!” I spit. “I suppose you’re going to have loving time with Brian in there? Well, enjoy it while it lasts!”

 

“Thanks. Enjoy your lonely bitter dinner.”

 

As he walks away, I am further infuriated when I hear Ben laughing as he heads back from wherever he was, so I start to follow him but the waiter impedes my progress.

 

“Sir, are you going to be using this table? It's just that we have a party of five waiting…”

 

“Have it. I shall be in the Smokers’ Room.”

 

I wait for Justin to leave, and while part of me feels sorry for the disappointment he is going to experience post-fuck with Brian, everyone has to learn one hard lesson in life don’t they?

 

As I approach the room, the door is slightly ajar so I stop to listen.

 

“So you really think that he’s going to take him? It’s next week!” Emmett exclaims.

 

“Yeah, he’s going to take him.” Ben laughs.

 

Take him? Who and where?

 

“I mean to the dinner, and, well, you know that, Benjamin!” Emmett snorts.

 

“That’s what I was talking about!” Ben objects laughing.

 

“I am so jealous!” Daphne complains. “The Gucci Annual Film and Advertising Awards Dinner! That is going to be so awesome.”

 

“Yes it is, isn’t it?” I say as I walk in with a smile. “I can’t wait to go with you, Mercy.”

 

“Me? What do you mean with me? I’m…”

 

“Yes, I am going to get two tickets after Brian wouldn't get one for me, so I am taking you with me.”

 

“Michael, you should asked first, not assume that she has nothing to do but hang around with you.” Emmett scolds me.

 

“I know that, but she’s my…”

 

“Michael, I am already going as a guest of the one of the hosts, which reminds me I need to be in a dress. Emmett…”

 

“Tell me you want me to dress you?!” He waves his cigar around, and I waft away the smoke.

 

“Us. I need you to dress us, if you have capacity?”

 

“I will make some! Maybe tack you onto Ben and Brian’s appointment?” He looks at Ben who blows out smoke and nods, which again I waft away and this time also cough.

 

“So when is this appointment?” I demand as I head to open the window, and try to inhale some fresh air only to choke on the fumes outside.

 

“Well, at least that one is genuine!” Is muttered but I can’t tell who over my spluttering.

 

“Emmett, are you sure you can do all six of us, including you?” Mercy looks like a choo-choo train the way she is puffing out smoke.

 

“Including…”

 

“Yep, you are coming as my guest, as is Daph, Chris, Justin and George.”

 

“You already had a ticket for me?!” I exclaim.

 

“No, I am taking my friend Mel, as a last hurrah, she’s sorted dress wise. Like Emmett said, you should’ve asked me.”

 

“I didn't have your cell number to ask you!” I hiss now, thoroughly pissed off.

 

“Of course you didn’t. Not one more word! You’ve been nothing but a loudmouth vulgarian raasclart ever since I got back, and I am sick of it, frigging cut it out!”

 

The room is quiet and I can tell by her cold eyed stare she is deadly serious.

 

“It’s cut out.” I reply.

 

“It had better be!”

 

The last time she looked at me that way and said that word was when she said was moving to London, and I told her that she was the most selfish and traitorous person in the world to leave me alone!

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please if reviewing be kind and constructive. Thanks.