- Text Size +

CHAPTER 30 - RECOGNITION PART ONE

 

OUTSIDE MERCY’S HOUSE, PITTSBURGH - TWO DAYS LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

I drum my fingers on the steering wheel. Where is she?! I look at the time again before her car finally comes up the road, but it is not Mercy stepping out of it, it's Kiki! I am about to get out when I think better of it; I watch to see what she does. She locks up the car and is about to head to the front door when her phone rings.

 

“This is Kiki!” She pauses mid-stride and I grind my teeth, surely she can take a message. “Oh, hi, darling! Yes. Yes, of course! No problem, I will see you in there. Honey, this car drives like a dream! Thank you so much for lending it to me!”

 

She has lent her that car but won’t even grant me ten minutes of her time to explain?!

 

I fume as Kiki gets back in, then makes another call for about half an hour, before finally she drives off. I am lucky in a way, I think to myself as I gun my engine, working for myself has its advantageous. I am so busy musing about my good fortune that I end up two cars behind her and trying not to beep the guy when the light changes and he stalls. I keep an eye on her and she seems to be turning down into the top of Liberty Avenue and I smile, Mercy is in the diner, and this will give me an opportunity to steam to Ma about the suddenly psychotic side of Uncle Vic!

 

HOME OF RAJAN AND RAE, LONDON - EARLY AFTERNOON

 

DINING ROOM

 

MERCY

 

This is the reason right here why Uncle Rajan is a voice over artist: he is the spitting image of dad, who was instantly recognisable with his dreads and cool grey eyes. He kept being mistaken for him despite being bigger by a good 60 pounds, and taller by a foot. First, he was going to be a basketball player, but couldn't shoot for shit, but then he discovered his talent for mimicry, and that rich bassoon voice put him in high demand.

 

“So there you have it, that’s what has been happening and our theory.” I unclench my fists now that I have told him everything. Whilst he knew about the calls in the run up to the move, we didn't tell him that they continued. When we moved, it was only after my folks died that I mentioned that he was on one of those calls when he had the accident. I didn't say that it was also one of the reasons I moved in with them.

 

“You should've told us!” He booms.

 

“Marguerite was being treated, and…” I trail off in the face of his rightful fury.

 

“And you?” He turns to Aunt Debs. “You say you loved my brother and sister, you loved her folks.” She nods. “I want you to be honest with me and swear on their souls that you will let us do what we need to whoever did this.”

 

She looks warily at him and I frown. “Uncle Rajan?”

 

“First your word on their souls.” He stares intently at Aunt Debs, and again she nods.

 

“Say it. You have to say the words.” Uncle Vic prompts.

 

“You have my word upon their souls.” She crosses her heart for good measure.

 

“Good. So in less than two weeks if we get this call I'm coming to Pittsburgh.”

 

“Why?” Justin has been mostly silent all this time, well they all have, just taking in the majesty that is my Uncle. I am completely unbiased of course! “And you are the younger brother?”

 

“By a year. And you are beautiful. You’re a lucky man, Brian.” He grins at Justin, causing him to go red, muttering his thanks, and Brian to nod whilst grinning wolfishly. “Hmmm...Bath you said?” I nod and Uncle Rajan brings out his big guns smile. “Thermae Spa?”

 

“Where are you?!” An excited female voice calls out and I grin. “M! Where?!”

 

“Dining room, Aunt Rae!”

 

“One second!”

 

“I know that voice.” Emmett frowns. “Where do I know it…” He trails off his mouth slowly drops open. “Rae Dawn Kang!” He turns to face Uncle Rajan. “You are married to Rae Dawn Kang...one of the foremost set designers of the modern age?!”

 

“And fashion maven extraordinaire!” Aunt Rae laughs before I am engulfed in a hug and introductions swiftly made. “Now, Billy and Maggie are going to be here in an hour. Are we eating here or going out to the Garbot?”

 

“The Garbot?!” George gasps. “The private members club that is so exclusive that Tom Delland was turned down?”

 

“The very same. Emmett? Are you okay?”

 

“I studied set design on your concept, and you are right there talking to me!” He starts to reach for her but pulls back.

 

“Would a hug help pull you out of your shock?”

 

“Can it be filmed?!” He steps towards her and we all whip out our phones. “I feel  oh so much better now.” He grins, and Uncle Rajan gently unwinds him from her waist. “Oh, sorry!”

 

“So what have I missed?” Aunt Rae looks around, and thirty minutes later she is trembling with fury. “You bawled her out?”

 

“A bit, let's leave it at that. She was dealing with a lot.” She nods and I breathe a bit easier.

 

“So back to what you are going to do; you know when we find out who is doing this.”

 

EMMETT

 

“I believe in an eye for an eye...again, let's just leave it at that.” Uncle Rajan declares.

 

“So why was he denied, Tom Delland I mean?” I query, still marvelling at this turn of events.

 

“Terrible actor, gets by on his looks, which are undeniably excellent, but an even worse person. And you guys, apart from M, call us Rajan and Rae.” My heart skips a beat. “He made a nasty remark once about gays and transgenders and Rajan was so furious, he has refused to have anything to do with him since.”

 

“Wow, he is one of the highest profile actors.” Ben comments, then pauses and is staring at Rae. “You...you are a man!”

 

I almost miss the chair as I sit down so fast. “A man?!”

 

“Been presenting as a female since high school. Stubble is coming through I guess. Had to go across town for the location and was running...oh, sorry, M!”

 

“No worries, show them the pictures after.” She grins at us. “For Rage Within, look since she brought it up let's talk about it.” She waves at us to sit down, we do so. “So, this is still going to be animation, but on screen like a comic. And…”

 

“What does that mean?” Chris frowns and then looks around the room. “Is that a humidor?” He gets up to bring it to the table, then opens it, the rich tobacco scent fills the air. “Oh man, that smells so good!”

 

“Oh, he was so pissed!” Rajan laughs. “But only because I got to her first! Then it became our secret thing.” He looks a little sad. “We were called the Three Stogies after she found out.”

 

“Uncle Rajan gave me my first cigar.” Mercy explains to the confused amongst us, for once, I am not one of them! “Hofnars! Touchdown, there is a god! Now where's the whisky?!

 

“I’ll get it. How many are having?” Rae asks, and all hands shoot up. “Two bottles it is then!” She laughs, and soon the cigars are clipped and handed around, followed by the whisky. “Shall I continue?” Rae asks Mercy as she shows Caleb how not to suck on a cigar, she nods before scowling as he gets it wrong again and mutters under her breath.

 

“Me too.” Daphne giggles.

 

Caleb frowns. “What did she say?”

 

“Nothing!” She and Daphne chorus, then collapse into a fit of giggles.

 

“Back to Rage!” I order, having a rough idea of what she said. “And you have nothing to fret about, Mercy!” She grins in relief, then high fives Daphne.

 

“No, you lot certainly do not!” Caleb grumps good naturally.

 

“So, Brian, you can draw perfectly from what she said. Can you overlay a real person?”

 

“Of course I...are you serious? That is going to be awesome!” He pulls out his pencils and then looks around the room. “Can I show them on this what you mean?” He points to a photo and Rajan reaches for it. For 15 minutes he quietly works in the photo whilst we sip and savour. “There.” He turns the photo to show us and Barney’s jaw drops. “Like she said…” Brian smirks. “...better than you.”

 

“Christ!” Barney breathes. “You have made that into a comic book character, but kept the realness of the person!” He sighs and shakes his head. “Could never do that. Especially on film.”

 

“Wow, just wow.” Justin looks at Brian with such pride and adoration that my heart flips.

 

“Oh, hang on…” Barney orders as his phone buzzes. “...it's Rodney.”

 

“On speaker.” Ben orders, swallowing hard, and we all mentally, and me literally, cross our fingers.

 

“Rodney, how you doing?”

 

“Great. Better than great. We have prints...and I looked at the bullets that were removed from Brian. They match.”

 

“Well that was a given wasn't it?” I ask.

 

“Not necessarily.” Barney shakes his head. “Someone could've given them the bullets; but not gun they came out of.”

 

“Oh. So now what?” Ben demands.

 

“Well I have compared the finger prints to the knife found at the scene and…”

 

“There was a knife in evidence?!” Ben gasps going pale.

 

Brian squeezes his arm. “Still here, remember?”

 

“Yeah.” But Ben’s hand trembles as he lifts his glass then drains it before signalling for a refill.

 

“They don't match.” Rodney continues before Mercy curses. “What's wrong?”

 

Jessica Fletcher and Mrs Columbo have been doing some digging of their own, with a little help from Stella Kubrick.” She takes a sip and continues to read her phone. “Email from Mel. So, it seems that she has engineered a meeting between an Ethan Gold and you, George, for the return of your damaged watch.”

 

“Damaged? How was it damaged and who is Ethan Gold?” Debs frowns.

 

“At least I know his surname now.” Barney sighs. “So we have our thief at the very...”

 

“Ethan….Ethan Gold, why do I know that name?” Justin frowns before looking stunned. “He was in my class for about three weeks, then he disappeared.”

 

“Which class?” Mercy is wide eyed. “Justin, which class?!”

 

“Math. He came midterm, which was unusual, in itself, that he was allowed to I mean. You had to have special dispensation and a recommendation. Why?”

 

“Because James Dixon called him…” Mercy waves her glass. “...a lot; the last time being the night he died.”

 

“Brian! Can you draw someone if I describe them?!” Barney demands.

 

“Yeah, of course I…” He pauses and looks at Justin then Barney. “...this shit just went surreal. Okay, need paper!”

 

DINER

 

KIKI

 

“As I said, Michael, you have just missed her. If only you came back a few minutes earlier…”

 

“I was dealing with a customer in my store!” He growls. “Took forever choosing and then didn't buy anything! Did she say when she would be back? And where is my Ma and Uncle?!”

 

“No, she did not. And they have gone out for the day. Have you tried their cells?”

 

“They, like Mercy, are not picking up.” He digs his nail into the counter. “Can I borrow your phone, mine is down to 1%. Just a quick call to Ma to find out when they are coming back.”

 

“I can…”

 

“But I want to talk to her directly. That’s not a problem for you, is it?” He raises his eyebrows.

 

“I don't like other people using my phone, and…”

 

“I am not other people, Kiki, you have known me for years. Just lend me your phone!”

 

“Since you asked so nicely…”

 

“Thank you.” He holds out his hand.

 

“No.” I declare, and turn in relief as the door opens, bringing in Marilyn. “Hey, hun, what can I get you?”

 

“An espresso and slice of pie, please. Now, Michael, what has you so pinched up?”

 

“Let me see. My ex boyfriend is already dating someone; my best friend has overreacted to something, and is refusing to let me explain why I did what I did to make her understand things from my standpoint; my Uncle has turned into a raving lunatic and attacked me for expressing my frustration; and now Kiki won't let me use her phone to speak to my Mother!”

 

The diner is silent apart from his heavy breathing. “Feel better having got that off your chest?” Marilyn smirks.

 

Before he can answer, the door opens again, this time bringing in Lindsay and another man with two police officers. “That’s him. Please officers, you must arrest him!” The guy exclaims, pointing at Michael.

 

“Arrest me?! What for, Ethan?!”

 

“You mean apart from theft?! Arson! We were lucky to get out with our lives!”

 

“Arson?! What are you talking about?!”

 

“It can't be coincidence that we fire you, I say I am going to press charges for the watch against you, and her studio goes up in flames can it?!”

 

RAJAN AND RAE’S HOUSE - AN HOUR AFTER DRAWING COMMENCED

 

BRIAN

 

Barney stares hard before slowly starting to nod so I cover it back up. “Okay, Justin, come and sit back down. Take your time, okay?”

 

He nods and sits next to me and I slowly lift the page. “Yeah, that’s him. Hair was shorter and he had this rat’s tail on his chin, but that’s him.”

 

“Okay, so we need to know two things: what was the special dispensation that got him in midterm, and who recommended him. Call your folks and see if they can dig into that.” I tell him, and he reaches for his phone.

 

An hour later the mystery of the midterm is solved, but why did Dixon recommend Ethan and why did he disappear only to pop up again now?

 


Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.