- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has commented - I really appreciate it :) 

 

Chapter 21

 

After Debbie had left Brian and Ted had tried to get some work done for Kinnetik while Luke was having his morning nap and Blake went into the nearest town to stock up on some groceries and to get some changes of clothes for himself and Ted from their apartment in Pittsburgh.


They had silently agreed that they would stay at Britin for a couple more days if Brian wanted them to or not. Officially they had to stay because they were having custody of Luke for the moment, but even if that hadn't been the case, Blake would have insisted. He was worried about Brian after the events of the previous days and was glad that Ted had gotten him distracted with work.

 

He could only imagine how Brian had to feel after the betrayal by his two best friends - a term that Blake had always used very loosely for Lindsay and Michael, but even though he might not have had a high opinion of them, he knew that at one point or another they had been important to Brian and every betrayal by someone you thought loved you and was your friend hurt. And Brian was hurting, Blake knew it. Even though the man tried to hide it, Blake knew the signs, saw the faraway looks Brian had when he thought no one was watching him and he just felt better being there for him than leaving him alone at a time like this.

 

In the meantime Ted and Brian had settled into Brian's home office and had had a video-chat with Cynthia bringing her up to date on what had happened and letting her know that Ted would be working from Britin for the rest of the week. By the end of their story, Cynthia had been ready to rip Lindsay and Michael apart with her bare hands and for a second Ted had felt glad that they were in a jail cell somewhere, being safe from Cynthia's wrath. Cynthia had never liked Lindsay and Michael and what had happened the day before had only proved to her that she had been right all along in her dislike of the two people who had considered themselves Brian's friends.

 

After about two hours of work they called it quits for the day and had a light lunch in the kitchen with Blake who had brought some sandwiches and soup from the diner. Conversation flowed easily but stayed clear of the happenings of the day before. Nobody mentioned Lindsay, Michael or Debbie's visit earlier and all three seemed to be relieved when Luke woke up and proved to be a welcome distraction.

 

Brian got Luke changed and once the baby was happy again, after having gotten a new clean diaper, Brian took Luke downstairs and announced that he would take him for a walk along the grounds to clear his head. He attached Luke's baby carrier and gently put the baby inside, smiling as the baby snuggled into his chest, before he walked the grounds for about two hours. When he returned to the house, he frowned at the car he saw in his driveway and immediately realised the grave error he had commited that day when he had forgotten to call the owner of the car and let her know about the day's events.


“Wish me luck that she won't kill me, sonny boy,” Brian whispered as he pressed a kiss to Luke's forehead and then made his way inside.

 

He could hear quiet conversation from the living-room and made his way inside with Luke still strapped to his chest.


Jennifer, the owner of the car immediately walked over and Brian mentally prepared himself for another slap like Debbie's earlier that morning. The slap never came though and instead Brian and Luke were engulfed in a crushing hug by her.

 

“Careful, there's a baby strapped to my chest,” Brian grumbled after Jennifer had hugged him for what had felt like an eternity, never loosening her death grip on him and Luke.

 

When Brian's voice brought her back to the there and then she pulled back gently and carefully got Luke out of the carrier and kissed his cheek making the baby giggle in her arm.

 

“Oh honey, my sweet baby. Are you okay? You poor darling,” she cooed at the baby who only smiled at her and gurgled happily at the attention he was receiving from his grandmother.

 

“He is fine,” Brian said quietly, watching as Jennifer and Luke settled down on the sofa, Jennifer holding her grandson tight in her arms.

 

“And how are you?” She eyed him carefully, giving him a look that told him that lying or not answering was not an option.

 

“Have been better,” he murmured as he got rid of his jacket and the baby carrier and then joined the others in the living-room.

 

Jennifer only nodded and caressed Luke's cheek as she continued speaking. “I couldn't believe it, when I heard... How could they?”

“God knows what was running through their thick heads,” Brian muttered angrily, feeling his fury once more awaken inside of him. Every thought of Lindsay or Michael seemed to make him beyond furious at the moment, so he tried to ignore thinking about them whenever he could. “How did you find out?” He asked her, wondering if it was pure coincidence that she had chosen just that day for a visit and somehow not being able to believe that.

 

“Debbie,” she only replied and Brian nodded. Of course. He could have figured that out himself. After the way he and Ted had treated Debbie, she had probably run straight to Jennifer, her closest friend to try and find an understanding ear there.

 

“Did she run to you to complain about me?” Brian asked, trying to hide the pain he felt, but not being successful. Jennifer and his two friends heard it in every word he spoke and even more so saw it on his face.

 

“Kind of,” Jennifer nodded. “She wanted an understanding ear, wanted me to agree what an asshole you are, you know the drill.”

 

“What did you tell her?” Brian asked, not quite sure if he really wanted to know. What if Jennifer also wanted him to help Michael? What if Jennifer agreed with Debbie?

 

“That I wouldn't choose any sides, definitely not until I have heard the whole story and that she was barking up the wrong tree if she wanted sympathy for Michael's behaviour.”

When Brian raised an eyebrow at that last statement, Jennifer only shrugged. “I know what he said about Justin and Luke. If she expects sympathy from me, she's definitely looking in the wrong place.”

 

“I bet she didn't like that,” Ted voiced and everyone in the living-room agreed.

 

“I love Debbie, but where Michael is concerned she's blind. I've told her before, but she doesn't want to hear any criticism of her precious baby boy. We've disagreed about him before, but well... I tried not to let Michael influence our friendship.”

 

“Well, I guess those days are over,” Brian muttered darkly.

 

“If she can't see the wrong in what he's done, then I am not sure if I want to be friends with her anymore. If she condones what he has done... how can she? She considers herself Luke's grandmother. She considers you her son... How can she not see any fault in what he's done?”

“Because he's her son and she's his mother. In the end if it comes down to a choice, she'll always choose him.” Brian voice was filled with hurt and pain and not wanting the others to comment on it, he got up and left the living-room, getting out onto the porch and staring off into the distance. He sighed when he heard the glass door to the living-room slide open and close and found Jennifer standing at his side.

 

“Brian,” she started, but was interrupted by him raising his hand at her.

 

“Don't,” he said quietly.

 

“You don't know what I was about to say.”

 

“How it's natural for a mother to defend her son, how she's doing what every good parent would do...,” Brian stopped when he heard Jennifer snort at his side. He looked up at her and frowned.

 

“Wow, is that what you think?” She took hold of Brian's arm and led him towards the deck chairs and sat down with him.

 

“I know we have had our disagreements in the past and I know that you think that because I am Justin's mother I will always choose his side over yours, but let me tell you, Brian, if Justin would pull a stunt like that or any of the stunts Michael had pulled, I would be the first one to kick some sense into him. As a parent we always need to know that our children are not perfect. As much as we want them to be, they are not. Nobody is and they are no exception.”

 

Brian listened silently to what she was saying and he actually believed her. From what he had seen of her and Justin together, he had no doubt that she would kick his ass. She would be the first one to point out wrong behaviour to him and he didn't doubt her for a second.

 

“This is not your fault, Brian. It's Lindsay's and Michael's because they can't accept that things have changed. That you have changed... If Debbie can't see that, it's her fault. Not yours!”

 

“Thank you,” Brian muttered quietly and smiled slightly when Jennifer took his hand and squeezed it gently in silent support. After a few minutes of comfortable silence he spoke quietly, his voice still full of hurt and pain. “She wants me to help him. To get him a lawyer. She says I owe him after everything he's done for me. After everything she's done for me.”

 

“Brian, love doesn't come with a price tag. And I am sure that you have already made up for any imaginary sum she might think you owe her. Justin told me how generous you have always been with her and Michael. Whatever she thinks you might owe her, I am sure you've repaid it times and times over. And if she can't see that, it's her loss.”

 

“You seem quite angry yourself, Mother Taylor,” Brian mused, having picked up on the anger in Jennifer's voice as she spoke.

 

“She said a couple of things I don't agree with,” was all Jennifer said in reply and Brian nodded, only able to imagine too well what Debbie might have said.

 

“How you shouldn't be on my side after everything I've done to Justin? And how you owe her after what she's done for Justin?” Brian mused and wasn't surprised when Jennifer nodded quietly. “And here I thought the guilt trip was a special way just to torture me,” he chuckled hoarsely.

 

“Brian, don't let her get to you. She's hurting and I am sure that given some time, she'll come around and see that Michael has caused this himself.”

“Is it bad that I want him to go down for this?” Brian asked quietly and a silent tear ran down his cheeks as he spoke. “We used to be best friends, he was like a brother to me, but now... now all I feel is this thirst for revenge and I want him to pay for his part in this.”

 

“Brian, what he did was wrong and he will pay for this. I am sure! And... I think you have every right to be angry at him right now and to want him to pay.”

 

“Thank you, Mother Taylor,” Brian wiped away his tears and then looked at her. “I am sorry about you and Debbie arguing.”

“Stop right there, Brian. You didn't do anything wrong... well, except for not telling me obviously,” she chastised him and he knew that she was right. He knew that he should have been the one to tell her that her grandson had been abducted and that she shouldn't have found out from an angry Debbie.

 

“I am sorry,” he whispered, hanging his head. “It's... it's just been too much. I wasn't thinking clearly and all I could think of was Luke.”

“Just as should be,” Jennifer hugged the man next to her and squeezed his shoulder in comfort. “He should always be your number one priority. Not me, not Debbie, not anyone else.”

After talking for some more minutes the two of them went back inside and Jennifer agreed to stay for dinner. She spent a couple of hours with her grandson and allowed him to cheer her up by just being his cheery self. All the adults at Britin were glad that he seemed absolutely unaffected by the events of the previous day and was his usual self.

 

 

***

 

“Brian, can I talk to you for a minute?” Ted asked quietly as he knocked on the door to Brian's home office.

 

“Sure, Ted.” Brian waved the man inside and went over to sit with him on the sofa. “What is it?” Brian asked, not liking the serious expression on his CFO's face.


It had been three days now since Lindsay's attempted abduction of Luke and things were finally quieting down at Britin again. The last two days had been busy with meetings with the FBI and the District Attorney and Brian had spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh in meetings with his lawyer. He had given his final statement to the FBI and both Lindsay and Michael had had their official arraignments the day before. Much as expected Lindsay had been denied bail until the time her trial would start, the judge deciding that there was a definite flight risk. Michael had been granted bail, seeing how he hadn't been involved in the abduction directly, but had only been an accessory, but the bail had been too high for him to post. As far as Brian knew, Michael was still in jail as well because he didn't have enough money to post bail and neither had Debbie.

 

He couldn't help but think back to their meeting after the official arraignment when he and his lawyer had been about to leave.

 

“Brian,” Debbie had called out to him and Brian had inwardly winced at hearing her voice. He wasn't quite ready to be told yet again how he owed Michael to help him.

 

“What, Debbie?” Brian asked in obvious discomfort and slowly turned around to her.


“You need to lend me the money for the bail,” she started without preamble.

 

“Excuse me?” Brian looked at her in complete and utter disbelief. She couldn't really mean that, could she?

 

“Michael doesn't have that kind of money and you know I don't have it either. You have enough money, Brian. Please, you need to lend it to me.”

“After what he did? Why would I do that?”

 

“He is your best friend.”

“He is nothing to me. He might have been my friend once, but he hasn't been in a long time and after what he pulled here, he is dead to me. He can rot in that damn cell for all I care,” Brian spat, once again overcome by his anger. How could Debbie even dare to ask him for money so he could post bail for the person who helped to abduct his son?

 

“Brian, please. You owe me!”

“I don't owe you anything, Debbie. Michael is on his own in this. Don't come to me again to ask for anything for him.”

 

With that Brian turned around and moved away.

 

“Brian, you need to help him. He's got no one else.”

“What about his husband? Clearly he's more suited to help him than me, right?” Brian spat, not knowing why he had even bothered to reply to her at all.

 

“Ben left him. He's not willing to help Michael. He says Michael brought this upon himself and that he's had it with him,” Debbie explained and Brian could only congratulate the professor on finally having seen the light.

 

“Good for Ben. That was long overdue.” With that Brian really left the court room and left Debbie on her own as she cursed after him and called him all kinds of names.

 

“Brian?” Ted's voice calling his name brought Brian back to the there and then. He frowned for a second when he tried to remember where he was and why he was there and then their earlier conversation came back to him. Ted had wanted to talk to him.

 

“What did you say?”

 

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I was just lost in thoughts,” Brian mumbled, not wanting to get into where his thoughts had wandered with Ted. Ted and Blake had been amazing these last three days. They hadn't left Brian on his own for a minute and had been there with him at the arraignment and had stayed with him at Britin to take care of Luke and help him get over his friends betrayal. They had been the distraction Brian had so desperately needed and he wasn't sure if he could ever repay them for all they had done for him these last days.

 

“I have talked to Mel again and... it's not good,” Ted said seriously, looking at Brian from uneasy eyes.

 

Melanie had been another problem in the last two days. She had refused Ted's offer to buy her tickets to come down to Pittsburgh and had insisted that she didn't want anything to do with Lindsay or what she had done. She had informed Ted that her and Lindsay had been over for a while and that she had been thinking about filing for divorce for a couple of weeks. Lindsay's abduction attempt had finally given her the push she had needed and she had filed for divorce the day after she had been informed about what Lindsay had done. She had insisted to Ted that her life was in Toronto now and Pittsburgh and especially Brian was only a reminder of what Lindsay had done and she didn't need that in her life.

 

Brian had accepted her reasoning, not being able to blame her. Much like with Ben, he thought it was long overdue that Melanie ended things with Lindsay once and for all and he couldn't fault her for doing it now when Lindsay had shown her true, crazy self.

 

Things had taken a turn for the worse though when Melanie had refused to abide by the old agreement Lindsay had had with Brian concerning Gus and had informed Ted that so far Lindsay had come to Pittsburgh on the weekends she had had Gus and that now that Lindsay wasn't there anymore, Melanie had no intention of taking Gus to Pittsburgh.

 

“What now?” Brian sighed, running a hand through his hair in exasperation. Would the bad news never end? It felt like this week had been a neverending saga of bad news after bad news.

 

“She refuses to negotiate a new custody deal for Gus,” Ted said solemnly, knowing how much that would hurt Brian. And much as he had expected, he saw Brian's face fall immediately and he looked as if he had been punched in the gut.

 

“Why?” Was all Brian asked.


“She says that now that Lindsay is in jail and waiting for the trial, she is the only parent with legal rights and that she will get sole custody for Gus. Once she has that, she says there is no need for a schedule as you have no rights to Gus at all and unlike Lindsay she doesn't feel the need to give you access to her son.”

“Her son? Her son?” Brian exploded and started pacing the study like a madman. “He is my son! Mine and Lindsay's son.”


“Brian, calm down,” Ted tried to placate the other man, looking at him from his place on the sofa. If he was honest, he had no idea why Melanie was doing this and when he had asked her, she had only replied that she was not legally obliged to share Gus with anyone, so she wouldn't. Ted had tried to make her see reason, had tried to argue with her that Gus loved his father and loved coming to Britin to see Brian and Luke, but Melanie had only pointed out again that Brian had no legal rights to Gus since he had signed away his parental rights years ago and that she intended to keep it that way.

 

It had almost seemed to Ted as if she had been kind of happy to finally have found a way to get back at Brian and it had made him sick to his stomach that she would use her own son to hurt Brian and Gus as well. Because the boy would be heartbroken if he didn't get to see his father and brother anymore.

 

“That fucking bitch!” Brian yelled and then slammed his fist onto his desk, cursing when it send a stack of papers flying. “Fuck, fuck, fuck!”

Ted allowed Brian to vent his anger for a couple of minutes, before he felt it was safe again to speak.


“I have already contacted Watson, Myers & Shelbourne and they are willing to take on your case. You have an appointment with Stephen Watson at 10am tomorrow morning.”

“Who?”

“Stephen Watson. He's widely considered to be the best family lawyer on the East Coast and hasn't lost a custody case so far. I have talked to him earlier and have faxed him the bank statements of all the support you have paid for Gus over the years and especially since the girls moved to Canada. He thinks you've got a very good chance to prove that even though you have signed away your rights, you have always had an active role in your son's life, especially since he has moved to Toronto and to at least get partial custody with a visitation schedule.”

 

“When did you speak to him?” Brian asked in obvious confusion.


“After I got off the phone with Melanie. I asked Cynthia to do some research on family lawyers and once she got me a name, I made the call. I thought you would approve.”

“Of course I fucking approve!” Brian nodded, looking at Ted in thanks.

 

“Well, good then. 10 am tomorrow morning.”

“Ted, thank you! I... I don't know what to say,” Brian started, once again amazed by everything Ted and Blake had done and were still doing for him.


“Don't say anything, Brian,” Ted said seriously. “It's what friends do.”

Brian only nodded and smiled at his friend gratefully. Not for the first time he wondered when Ted had turned into such a good friend. He remembered how Ted had been by his side during his cancer and how Ted had supported him all throughout his pregnancy even though he had completely disagreed with Brian about Justin. Once again Brian was reminded that Ted had been more of a friend to him in the last few years than his supposedly best friend had ever been.

 

“And it's what you pay me the big bucks for,” Ted chuckled which made Brian laugh as well.


Ted was glad to hear that sound out of Brian's mouth. After everything the man had been through in recent days, Ted was glad to at least bring some happiness to his life.